Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Interviews of Darren

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1default 2016 Interviews of Darren on Thu May 12, 2016 6:15 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Please feel free to post about 2016 Interviews of Darren.   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Interviews"), please let me know. 

2default LA Mag interview - May 25, 2016 on Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
An interesting interview, especially for folks who live in  or visit L.A.  Some nice insight from Darren about places that he likes to visit.   Being a Japanese-American, I especially found his views about J-town in L.A. (Japan-town or Little Tokyo) to be interesting.   I'm gonna try to visit those restaurants he recommended.   And count me in as one of those who had no clue there were canals in Venice, CA.  :amused

From dailydarrennews:

"My LA to Z:  Darren Criss"

Venice Canals Walkway

After years of living in Los Angeles, I only recently made it out to the canals.  I've since learned that my reaction was very much the same as everyone else's who had never been before:  "Wait, this exists?"  It's crazy to think that all this time, while you were cruisin' down the Venice Boardwalk taking pics of that dude with the dreadlocks playing electric guitar on roller skates, that this picturesque little gem was just two blocks away.  Maybe roller-skating-dreadlock guy lives there.

Trois Familia

I make it a habit to try every buzzy new restaurant when they open up in L.A. If not for the food, then certainly for the adventure, and especially for the bragging rights of having made it there before my foodie friends. And I rarely go to the same place more than once. Trois Familia has been open for less than a year, and I’ve already lost track of how many times I’ve been back. It’s one of the best restaurants in L.A. I love French cuisine. I love Mexican cuisine. Put-’em-togther-and-what-have-you-got? How ’bout a Galette crepe with chorizo and “avocado milk,” or some churro French Toast? Be prepared to wait for an hour or two during brunch hours, or, if you’re savvy enough, maybe summon the power of TaskRabbit. As for my out-of-work actor pals with a pension for hip food: go on a weekday when they open at 10 a.m. No line! It’ll almost make you want to never book a job.

The Hotel Cafe
The Hotel Cafe had only been open for a decade when I moved to L.A., but it was already a place where a lot of my heroes had started (and, I had heard, where they still hung out). Getting to be a part of that scene was a goal. Now, many years since my first pilgrimage, I’ve had numerous shows there. I feel very lucky to be part of its wonderful community of singer-songwriters. I highly suggest going on a random night at a random time when you don’t even know the artists. Maybe you’ll hear something you love or be the first to discover an artist before the rest of the world. They’ve also just opened up a new, smaller stage where you will hear what is a rarity in any venue nowadays: nothing but the music. Just the artist, the songs, and a listening audience. It’s where people give a fuck about music. And it gives me faith in humanity.

Little Tokyo & Sawtelle Japantown
I’m not going to say I’m pretentious about Japanese food, but I’m pretentious about Japanese food. So I love Little Tokyo on the east side & Sawtelle Japantown on the west—my favorite cultural getaways depending on what side of town I’m on. Los Angeles has no shortage of truly amazing Japanese restaurants between these two hubs, but if it’s an authentic Japanese vibe you’re looking for, take a stroll through Japanese Village Plaza or wait in line outside of Tsujita for an hour. And if you’re a Japanophile like me looking for real deal, fish-‘n’-rice sushi (sorry to all my sauce-‘n’-crunch friends), the omakase at Sushi Gen should do the trick. Sure, it’s no walk down Pontocho Alley, but it’s the closest thing to Kyoto without having to make a stop at LAX first.

The Magic Castle
It’s very simple: Magic is awesome. Especially if you have to get gussied up for a whole evening of it at a legitimate castle. The Magic Castle is a members-only (plus their guests—including me) restaurant, bar, and private club. The history of the building alone is fun, but if that doesn’t spark your curiosity, perhaps tricksy bar stools and haunted—er, excuse me, enchanted—pianos will. Arrested Development fans might recognize the large stage (actually called the Palace of Mystery) from Gob Bluth’s gig at the similarly titled “Gothic Castle.” There are two other stages inside: one is a mind-blowing close-up magic room for sleight of hand card tricks, and my personal favorite: the Parlour of Prestidigitation (I know! It just keeps getting better!). The parlor is awesome because, to me, the more old Jewish guys telling dad jokes with handkerchiefs and rubber chickens, the better. If you go at the right time on a Sunday, you can catch a champagne brunch and a show at each of the three stages all in one visit. That’s the only magic trick I have to offer.

Disney’s The Little Mermaid runs June 3, 4, and 5 at the Hollywood Bowl. Get tickets here.

Lamag.com

3default Re: 2016 Interviews of Darren on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

AM New York wrote:

Best restaurants, bars, more in NYC:  Stars weigh in on their favorites

“Glee” and “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” star Darren Criss said that he has quite a few favorite New York spots, including the Village Vanguard, open since 1935.

“I’m a big Hudson River Park guy. I love biking around and go on long, long walks, anywhere downtown to the top of the High Line. As cliche as it is, walking through Central Park is beautiful and timeless. I love Vanguard and the other jazz clubs in the West Village. Oh, and Grimaldi’s. And then I walk off the pizza,” Criss said.

Village Vanguard: 178 7th Ave. S.

-AM New York

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum