Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music)

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Thu May 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post about Entertainment (TV Shows, Films, Theater, Music).   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Off-Topic,", please let me know.  Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Icon_smile

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

What did you watch/listen recently ?  :amused

3Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty My interests Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:02 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jeremy,

In terms of TV shows, Glee is my all-time favorite show.  I haven't found anything yet to come close to how I bonded so much with the characters and stories. 

In terms of shows I watch now, The Flash is my favorite show currently.   I really like Grant's Barry on The Flash, a sweet, compassionate, dorky character, who has that vulnerability to him (that pulled me to Blaine).    I also watch Supergirl and really enjoy that show.  I've liked Melissa since I met her on Glee.  She's adorable in person, as well as on her show.   I watch Legends of Tomorrow, but so far haven't bonded much with it.   I do like Captain Cold and Sara (formerly from Arrow, I think that's her name). 

It seems a lot of shows that I liked have come to their end recently.  Agent Carter once was tied with The Flash for my favorite show.   I was a long-time fan of The Mentalist, Parenthood, and the Closer.   I also enjoy Black-ish and Modern Family.

Ha!  I have to disclose  how uncool I am in terms of music.  I once relied on Glee to introduce me to artists I haven't heard of before.    I like A Great Big World, and the song that Darren once tweeted about that talks about Chad's positivity in the face of being diagnosed with MS, Won't Stop Running, touches me.   This is a New Year was one of my favorite covers done on Glee (in my favorite season of Glee--we have that in common).

I'm late, but I recently watched Zootopia the animated film, and I really enjoyed it.  I like animated films.  

And how about you?  :happy face

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I love comedy and mystery. So, the shows I currently watch are Scream Queens (I dream of Darren joining the cast), The Big Bang Theory and Pretty Little Liars. Sometimes, I also watch Bones and, as I love David Lynch, I look forward to the season 3 of Twin Peaks. 

Besides, I think about watching one of those shows that are popular on GF. Maybe Supergirl ? 

In terms of movies, the last one I have watched is The Hunger Games : Mockingjay Part 2. I also like cartoons and I'd love to watch Zootopia. 

In terms of music, I mostly like young male singers but I also like older artists like Robbie Williams (idk if he's also famous in the US) or MJ. I also know the French-speaking Mylene Farmer and I find her amazing. 

As Dutch is my main language, I'm into Dutch-Flemish culture as well.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, so interesting, Jeremy.   I have to go to dinner but I will return to reply (see, your signature really does make me hungry).  Thanks so much for your response!  :happy face

I love comedy and mystery too.  Unfortunately, I am very squeamish, so I can't watch AHS or even Scream Queens, without fearing nightmares.  I honestly am such a wimp. 
   too scary   scared

I love the Big Bang too.  Very funny.   I liked Silicon Valley too, but we no longer get paid cable.   I should check out Pretty Little Liars.  I know one of Darren's former co-stars from Eastwick is on that show too (Ashley Benson).  I also should check out Twin Peaks.  I saw the show a long time ago, when it first came out (1990).  It was addicting.  So I'm guessing this is a remake? 

Did you like Melissa on Glee?  If so, you probably would like Supergirl. 

I didn't get a chance to watch Hunger Games, although I know that it is a big hit.  The last film I watched was Nice Guys with Ryan Gosling.  It was all right.  I saw Zootopia on DVD.  It was so good. 

I think Robbie Williams is well known in the U.S., but not as much as in the U.K.  I think Darren once mentioned that he loves him.   I love Michael Jackson too, including his music with the Jackson Five.   I love Mo-town music too.  Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross are some of my favorites.  Ah, I should check out Mylene Farmer.  Any song by her in particular you love?

I remember now that you are from Brussels.  :happy face

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I love comedy and mystery too.  Unfortunately, I am very squeamish, so I can't watch AHS or even Scream Queens, without fearing nightmares.  I honestly am such a wimp.  

Well, there are a few scenes in SQ that are kind of scary but they are pretty rare and almost everything happens in the pilot. Besides, there is a lot of comic relief. 

I should check out Pretty Little Liars.  I know one of Darren's former co-stars from Eastwick is on that show too (Ashley Benson).

PLL is comparable to Lost. It's a complex story that is not always easy to follow and that is not super realistic but, after six seasons, I'm still enthusiastic about the show. You should indeed check out. 

Ashley is part of the main cast, just as Lucy Hale who has hosted an award show with Darren. They should got him a little role in PLL :amused

I also should check out Twin Peaks.  I saw the show a long time ago, when it first came out (1990).  It was addicting.  So I'm guessing this is a remake?  

No. I know it's surprising but it's really the continuation of the first two seasons. 

Did you like Melissa on Glee?  If so, you probably would like Supergirl.

I liked her on Glee, I found Marley adorable. 

I think Robbie Williams is well known in the U.S., but not as much as in the U.K.  I think Darren once mentioned that he loves him.

I think Robbie is (was?) a big thing in Europe in general. 

Ah, I should check out Mylene Farmer.  Any song by her in particular you love?

I've selected three videos. Not necessarily my favourite ones but that will give you an idea of who she is. 

7Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 am

My favourite current TV shows:
- Game of Thrones
- Orphan Black
- Orange is the New Black (new season this weekend!!)
- The 100
( - Mr Robot (just one season so far, but I'm looking forward to finding out if the next one can measure up))

And to counterbalance the drama with some cute silly fun:
- Jane the Virgin
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- The Mindy Project

...I'm probably forgetting some, but I don't think I watch any of the same shows as either of you. I did watch a few episodes of The Flash/Supergirl, but couldn't really get into them. Superheroes just aren't my thing.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jeremy,

I don't think I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of fearful kinds of suspense.    I did watch the SQ pilot, and I remember thinking, "I'm not sure if I can watch this."  My husband was looking at me and said, "you're not going to be able to watch this, you know."    But thanks Jeremy, for letting me know that the scary scenes are mostly in the first episode.  That is helpful.  If Darren was cast on SQ as a guest, I would be so torn.  I would want to watch him, but this kind of genre really is not my thing.  (When I watched Darren's scenes in AHS, I had to stop the TV just before he was killed.  I just did not want to see that.  I know I can be pretty silly in this way.) 

I may check out PLL.  It's pretty rare to be as enthusiastic about Season 6 as Season 1, so that's saying a lot.  Oh yes, I forgot Lucy Hale is on that show.  I think it was Teen Choice Awards that Darren and Lucy hosted together?   Someone correct me if that's wrong.  I remember him twerking in a Picachu onesie and giving someone in the audience (LL Cool?) his mouth guard and LL cool being grossed out.  :amused And yes!  They should get  him a guest role on their show!   

About Twin Peaks, wow, really?  So it's a continuation of the old show back in the 90s?  Wait, so they re-showed the original show first (was it 2 seasons?) and then they started with a (new) third season?

Ah, I constructed my sentence badly, when I wrote:

Poppy wrote:I think Robbie Williams is well known in the U.S., but not as much as in the U.K.  I think Darren once mentioned that he loves him.
It came out the opposite of what I meant to say.  I meant to say he is well known in the U.S., but is not as well known in the U.S. by far as much as he is well known in the U.K.    It makes sense that he is well known in Europe.  What's a couple of your favorite songs by him? 

That's so nice of you to send those YouTube videos.  The first one reminded me a lot of Madonna's Material Girl, in terms of melody.   I haven't listened to Madonna's music for a while, but I once used to love her.  :happy face  The second video unfortunately doesn't work in the U.S.  The third video was interesting.  I don't speak the language, but I got the message pretty clearly.  She has a lovely voice.   Thanks for sharing!

Jeremy, I forgot to mention that I did watch another Ryan Murphy show before and I really loved it.  It was called The New Normal.  I got attached to the characters.  I was disappointed to see that it was not renewed.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lin,

Lin wrote:My favourite current TV shows:
- Game of Thrones
- Orphan Black
- The 100
( - Mr Robot (just one season so far, but I'm looking forward to finding out if the next one can measure up))

- Jane the Virgin
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- The Mindy Project

It's interesting how different are our TV viewing preferences.   I watched Mr. Robot for a while, and I don't remember now why I stopped.  I do think the lead is a good actor.   I hear so much about The 100.  I watched I think only 1 episode, and again, I don't recall now why I didn't pursue the show.  So if you had to summarize why you like The 100 and why you like Mr. Robot, what would you say?

I forgot to mention that I do love Jane the Virgin.  At first I didn't like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but as time went on, I realized I was getting invested in the show and kept looking forward to the next episode.  I'm glad it was renewed for season 2!   I used to watch The Mindy Project, until it moved to (Hulu?).   I'm one of the few who hasn't joined (Hulu?). 

Yes, there are quite a few people who can't get into superhero shows.  I always liked the superhero films and used to read the comics sometimes as a kid (but I'm not one of those experts on the comics of The Flash, that I see in the GF).  

I think there is a Archie comics-based show that is coming next season on the CW (based on the Archie comic books)?  I'm going to give that a try. 

It's so nice to be able to chat with people here.  I was going to try to rig the audio so that I could play "All by Myself" by Eric Carmen!  sad face  Thanks you guys for posting.  :thank you

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy wrote:I don't think I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of fearful kinds of suspense.    I did watch the SQ pilot, and I remember thinking, "I'm not sure if I can watch this."  My husband was looking at me and said, "you're not going to be able to watch this, you know."    But thanks Jeremy, for letting me know that the scary scenes are mostly in the first episode.  That is helpful.  If Darren was cast on SQ as a guest, I would be so torn.  I would want to watch him, but this kind of genre really is not my thing.  (When I watched Darren's scenes in AHS, I had to stop the TV just before he was killed.  I just did not want to see that.  I know I can be pretty silly in this way.)

Darren's death scene in AHS was quite gory. I think stopping the TV wasn't a bad idea :laughing

But SQ is different, it's just comedy with a horror touch. Don't hesitate to watch the show if Darren joins the cast.

Poppy wrote:About Twin Peaks, wow, really?  So it's a continuation of the old show back in the 90s?  Wait, so they re-showed the original show first (was it 2 seasons?) and then they started with a (new) third season?

In season 2 (1991), Laura Palmer said to the main character : "I'll see you in 25 years". So, they wanted to make a new season in 2016 with a story that takes place 25 years after the events of season 2. But there is some delay and season 3 will finally air in 2017. 

Poppy wrote:What's a couple of your favorite songs by him?

Poppy wrote:That's so nice of you to send those YouTube videos.  The first one reminded me a lot of Madonna's Material Girl, in terms of melody.   I haven't listened to Madonna's music for a while, but I once used to love her.  Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) 3308115737  The second video unfortunately doesn't work in the U.S.  The third video was interesting.  I don't speak the language, but I got the message pretty clearly.  She has a lovely voice.   Thanks for sharing!

Maybe this link will work :
http://www.mylene.net/mylene/c_asg.php

I love Madonna too. 

Lin wrote:I'm probably forgetting some, but I don't think I watch any of the same shows as either of you.

Maybe there is an old show that everybody here has watched. Btw, are you also into movies or music ? 

Poppy wrote:Yes, there are quite a few people who can't get into superhero shoes.  I always liked the superhero films and used to read the comics sometimes as a kid (but I'm not one of those experts on the comics of The Flash, that I see in the GF).  

Maybe it has something to do with the location. Reading comics about superheroes seems to be pretty common for American children but, where I live, kids usually grow up with Belgian comics like The Smurfs or Tintin.

I realize now that we haven't talk about video games yet. That's also entertainment :happy face

11Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy wrote:
Darren's death scene in AHS was quite gory. I think stopping the TV wasn't a bad idea Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) 1021284439

ha!  Yes, I'm glad I did (although I had to endure the many gifs that Darren's fans posted everywhere on tumblr.  Neutral )

So SQ is much less gore than AHS?   SQ does look scary in the previews/commercials (and again, not a big fan of scary suspense   :shocked).  But if Darren is in it, I'll give it a try (until my husband makes me stop because of my nightmares.  :amused ).  

Jeremy wrote:In season 2 (1991), Laura Palmer said to the main character : "I'll see you in 25 years". So, they wanted to make a new season in 2016 with a story that takes place 25 years after the events of season 2. But there is some delay and season 3 will finally air in 2017.

How fun.  I completely forgot she said that.   I have to check out when it starts again in the U.S. next year then.   It'll be interesting to see how the changes in technology affect the new version/next season. 

Thanks for the new videos, Jeremy!   I was unable to play the video of Robbie's "Supreme."  I'll look for another version that can play in the U.S.  I really liked The Road to Mandalay.  Mysterious, fun.  Some very nice lyrics.   Catchy melody.  Warm, clear, interesting, expressive voice. 

And thanks for the second link for Mylene's L'Ame-Stram-Gram.   That second link worked.   Her voice has a light, ethereal quality, like the supernatural spirits in the video and the light, colorful material that the two woman played in at the beginning of the video.   I don't speak French, so I don't understand the lyrics.  But it was an interesting music video, with the influence of the culture of the Chinese director (such as the belief in spirits).  I looked up the director and he is a respected director from Hong Kong.  Interesting song.   Thanks again for sharing, Jeremy.  :happy face

Ha!  One of my typos ("superhero shows," not "superhero shoes").   That makes sense what you said, Jeremy.  Comics for kids (and for some adults, such as the characters in the Big Bang) is a big thing in the U.S.  Every month I looked forward to my father buying comics for my brothers and me when I was a kid.   We had Tin Tin in the U.S. too, but I don't think I read that much of him (or of the Smurfs, although there were movies of them.  Wasn't Jayma in one of the films?).   I have a vague memory of a cartoon of Tin Tin on TV when I was young, but I could be wrong about that.

ha!  Unfortunately, I've never been into video games.  I take it you are?   How about you, Lin?

12Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:49 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

So SQ is much less gore than AHS?

For now, I've just watched a few AHS episodes but I can already say that SQ is less gory than AHS. There are just a few "scary" scenes in season 1. 

How fun.  I completely forgot she said that.   I have to check out when it starts again in the U.S. next year then.   It'll be interesting to see how the changes in technology affect the new version/next season.

Personally, I wonder if/how the town has evolved since 1991. The idea of Twin Peaks characters using Facebook or Snapchat make me smile :amused

ha!  Unfortunately, I've never been into video games.  I take it you are?   How about you, Lin?

Yes, I love video games. Lately, I've had other priorities but I plan to "get back in the game" this summer.

13Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:For now, I've just watched a few AHS episodes but I can already say that SQ is less gory than AHS. There are just a few "scary" scenes in season 1.

Thanks for your answer, Jeremy.  That's helpful.  Neither SQ or AHS are in the genre of what I usually enjoy, but if Darren is on SQ (Or AHS), I will try to watch (and just hope I don't get nightmares.  :amused ). 

Jeremy wrote:Personally, I wonder if/how the town has evolved since 1991. The idea of Twin Peaks characters using Facebook or Snapchat make me smile Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) 3295213406

ha!  I laughed when I read your comment.  It would be hilarious if they incorporated that in. 

Summer is a good time to get back into video games.  Sorry that I don't play video games, or else maybe we could chat about them.

14Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:16 am

Poppy wrote:
I forgot to mention that I do love Jane the Virgin.  At first I didn't like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but as time went on, I realized I was getting invested in the show and kept looking forward to the next episode.  I'm glad it was renewed for season 2!   I used to watch The Mindy Project, until it moved to (Hulu?).   I'm one of the few who hasn't joined (Hulu?). 

Ahh, nice to know that we do have some TV shows in common after all! I agree about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I wasn't really sold on it right away (for a while I actually put it on to fall asleep to, oops), but I'm glad I didn't give up on it right away because at some point I started enjoying it a lot.

I forgot to mention, I'm not hugely invested in any of these shows, I just listed the ones that I currently look forward to the most. Nowhere near Glee-level of obsession - once was enough for me.

I honestly can't tell you much about Mr Robot, sorry! It was a short 10 episode season that I watched all in one go last year. I know I enjoyed it a lot at the time, a lot of which had to do with the fantastic lead. I'm not totally sure it can sustain my interest for longer than 10 episodes or how the show is going to work next season, but I'm definitely excited for its return next month, so it deserved a spot on the list.

The first episode of The 100 is pretty different from the rest of the show. It had much more of a teen show vibe in the first episode and maybe a few after that, but then gets a lot darker pretty early on. So I'm not sure it's a change for the better for you if you don't do well with violence? I'm not a fan of horror or scary stuff either, but I don't necessarily have a problem with violence - for example, watching Darren get killed on AHS didn't bother me at all because I had not attachment to the character. This show has a lot of death and torture though, including beloved characters, and some of it was honestly a bit too much for me. It sometimes feels like they're overdoing it just for the sake of being dark and gritty. The show presents a lot of moral questions about survival, but again, it feels at times like they're just heaping it on too much instead of allowing for some room for follow-up. I'm not really doing a great job of explaining why I like this show. :lol: But yeah, I like that things aren't always black and white on this show / there isn't always a "right" thing to do. I also like almost all the characters and love that the show has so many female characters in charge.

*Jeremy* wrote:Btw, are you also into movies or music ?
Haha, I didn't answer the music part because I'm a super uncool person who doesn't have a proper taste and just goes weeks without really listening to any music, then randomly gets obsessed with something and listens to it for a week on a loop, then goes back to not listening to anything (or just to a Glee playlist).  8)

I don't watch a lot of movies because my one-horse-town doesn't have a cinema. I think the last one I saw was probably also Mockingjay... Part 1. And then I never watched Part 2, oops.

*Jeremy* wrote:Maybe it has something to do with the location. Reading comics about superheroes seems to be pretty common for American children but, where I live, kids usually grow up with Belgian comics like The Smurfs or Tintin.

I realize now that we haven't talk about video games yet. That's also entertainment :happy face
I can't think of any super successful German comics, but I agree that other European comics (like Asterix and Lucky Luke in particular) were more popular around here than superhero stuff when I grew up, so there's definitely a Europe vs America factor involved. Fun fact: I've also never watched a single Disney fairytale, sorry Darren. Razz

I'm not too big on video games, but I sometimes play stuff like Elder Scrolls (Oblivion/Nehrim/Skyrim). I also like a more obscure little game called Clonk, but it's hard to describe because most of the content is user-created, so the game modes vary a lot. Oh, and I've always loved Zelda games. And then anything my brothers persuade me to play that I forget the name of 2 minutes after.

15Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lin,

Lin wrote:Ahh, nice to know that we do have some TV shows in common after all! I agree about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I wasn't really sold on it right away (for a while I actually put it on to fall asleep to, oops), but I'm glad I didn't give up on it right away because at some point I started enjoying it a lot.

I had to smile at reading that for a while, you put Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on to fall asleep.  :biggrin.png:   I used to do the same.   I do like that they mix in musical numbers into the show, and some of the actors are pretty good singers.    The actors who play Paula and Greg were on Broadway.  I like that some of the cast are people of color. 

Lin wrote:I forgot to mention, I'm not hugely invested in any of these shows, I just listed the ones that I currently look forward to the most. Nowhere near Glee-level of obsession - once was enough for me.

I agree.  I haven't found any show to capture my heart the way Glee did.   sad face   

About Mr. Robot, I agree that the lead is fantastic.  I watched probably a handful of episodes and was impressed with his acting.    I hope you enjoy season 2!   It's always nice to see relatively unknown actors get their big break.  My husband actually looked up the actor, Rami Malek, and we found he was in the film, Larry Crown (with Tom Hanks).   I think he played the funny, not-so-bright student in the film.  Such a different role!   And it's also nice that he's a person of color.  

Thanks for your answer about The 100, Lin.   It does sound like it touches upon some interesting moral questions about survival, and it's wonderful that they have have many female characters in charge.   ha!  But the violence issue will definitely make it something that I couldn't watch.   It's too bad I have that issue, because it eliminates so many films and  TV shows.  But oh well.  That's just how I am.  I don't know

ha!  I used to rely on Glee a lot to introduce me to music artists that I didn't know about.   I started listening to an alternative music station, so that's fun.  

It's hard to see films when you live in a small town.  I used to live in a small town and we had one theater in the town.    If Smitten! is not distributed widely, hopefully you can still catch it on Netflix.   You must be busy though, with your studies, and have limited time.  Thank you for taking the time to post here.   :thank you   

Lin wrote: Fun fact: I've also never watched a single Disney fairytale, sorry Darren. Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Icon_razz

Darren would be surprised, but understand.  :amused   Were they not very big in Germany when you were growing up?  

Lin wrote:And then anything my brothers persuade me to play that I forget the name of 2 minutes after.

ha!  :biggrin.png:

16Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 am

Lin wrote:My favourite current TV shows:
- Game of Thrones
- Orphan Black
- The 100

- Jane the Virgin
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- The Mindy Project

...I'm probably forgetting some, but I don't think I watch any of the same shows as either of you. I did watch a few episodes of The Flash/Supergirl, but couldn't really get into them. Superheroes just aren't my thing.

Those are some of my faves as well! 

I love Game of Thrones, Orange is the new black (although I missed all of last season!) and I've gotten really into the 100 recently. Murphy and Lexa are my favourites there. I also watch Gotham. 

I'd love Darren to star on another TV show. Thought he was great on AHS.

Jeremy, I'm really excited about Twin Peaks too. Loved the original series and the weirdness of it. It shall be interesting to see how they are going to go about it now. I'll have to dig the box set out to catch up on all the characters! Lol!

I'm also excited about a BBC series called Taboo coming out this autumn I think. It's got Tom Hardy in it (whom I love) so I'll definitely be watching that!

17Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi dusty,

dusty wrote:
Those are some of my faves as well! 

I love Game of Thrones, Orange is the new black (although I missed all of last season!) and I've gotten really into the 100 recently. Murphy and Lexa are my favourites there. I also watch Gotham. 

[. . .]

Jeremy, I'm really excited about Twin Peaks too. Loved the original series and the weirdness of it. It shall be interesting to see how they are going to go about it now. I'll have to dig the box set out to catch up on all the characters! Lol!

I'm also excited about a BBC series called Taboo coming out this autumn I think. It's got Tom Hardy in it (whom I love) so I'll definitely be watching that!

It looks like we have some overlap in terms of TV shows.  applause 

So a suggestion:  Please list TV shows you watch that you would want in a separate Topic/Thread of its own, and I can do a poll where people can vote on which TV shows they would like a separate thread for.   It makes sense that in order to do a new thread of its own for a TV show, at least two people here watch it. 

I could also create a new Topic/thread that is a a kind of "catch-all" of miscellaneous TV shows, the ones that folks are not real passionate about and will sporadically talk about.  So there may be some threads for specific TV shows which at least two people here watch, as well as a thread for Miscellaneous TV shows (a "catch-all" for various TV shows).

For Me: 

--TV Shows I would discuss in one thread for miscellaneous TV Shows (so a "catch-all" thread for TV shows in general), since I'm not really passionate about these shows:  Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin, Modern Family, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Supergirl.  Here is the thread to talk generally about miscellaneous TV shows:  General Thread to Talk About TV Shows.

--TV Shows I would want to discuss in a separate Topic/thread of its own:  The Flash

dusty wrote:I'd love Darren to star on another TV show. Thought he was great on AHS.

He was good in it!   He played an obnoxious, rude person well.    :amused   And yes, I would love for Darren to be on another TV show, maybe one with a short season, or as a guest star. 

BTW, I'll create a separate Topic/thread for SQ if Darren is on it, and any other TV show that Darren is in in this Category/Topic:  Darren's TV Projects for 2016

dusty wrote:

I'll give  Twin Peaks a try too.  I have to re-watch the original first 2 seasons, because it's been a while.  I'm not sure how passionate I will be about the new season 3 until I see it, but we can always add a separate Topic/Thread for Twin Peaks later if at least 2 people want that.

dusty wrote:I'm also excited about a BBC series called Taboo coming out this autumn I think. It's got Tom Hardy in it (whom I love) so I'll definitely be watching that!

Anyone else here a Tom Hardy fan?  dusty, can you tell us a little about the plot of Taboo and when it's coming out (U.K?  U.S.?)

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total

18Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:43 am

Poppy wrote: But the violence issue will definitely make it something that I couldn't watch.   It's too bad I have that issue, because it eliminates so many films and  TV shows.  But oh well.  That's just how I am.  I don't know
For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of all the excessive violence on TV/film either, I've just become desensitised to it. I understand that violence is part of the narrative for some stories, and that's fine, but unless it's a genre like horror, I often don't see the point of being so graphic/gory about it. Something that's always been ridiculous and baffling to me about American TV is that shows like Breaking Bad can have incredibly violent scenes, but have to edit out swearwords.

Oh, I also like Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but I haven't caught up on the latest season.

dusty wrote:I've gotten really into the 100 recently. Murphy and Lexa are my favourites there.
My favourite is Raven, but Lexa definitely had some of the best moments last season and Murphy turned into such a fun character!

19Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:26 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy wrote:Please list TV shows you watch that you would want in a separate Topic/Thread of its own, and I can do a poll where people can vote on which TV shows they would like a separate thread for.

Scream Queens, The Big Bang Theory, Pretty Little Liars, Twin Peaks. 

dusty wrote:Jeremy, I'm really excited about Twin Peaks too. Loved the original series and the weirdness of it. It shall be interesting to see how they are going to go about it now. I'll have to dig the box set out to catch up on all the characters! Lol!

I'll have to rewatch the first two seasons too. Maybe we can plan a rewatch or something. Every week, we would rewatch one episode in particular and, then, we would give our feelings about it on this forum.

20Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin wrote:For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of all the excessive violence on TV/film either, I've just become desensitised to it. I understand that violence is part of the narrative for some stories, and that's fine, but unless it's a genre like horror, I often don't see the point of being so graphic/gory about it. Something that's always been ridiculous and baffling to me about American TV is that shows like Breaking Bad can have incredibly violent scenes, but have to edit out swearwords.

Oh, I also like Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but I haven't caught up on the latest season.

Hi Lin,

It's great to get the perspective of other people, and it's also very interesting to me to get the perspective of someone who grew up outside the U.S.   Sadly, violence in TV shows and films sells in the U.S.  Americans in general become desensitized to the impact of violence in film and on TV.   Yes, I agree, the way the U.S. film and TV industry are so careful to shield the public from swear words and sex scenes, but very liberal in regard to violence is ridiculous to me.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is funny.  :amused

Lin, are there any TV shows in particular you would like to have a separate thread of its own?  The 100?  Mr. Robot?

Jeremy, I'll try to catch some episodes of Pretty Little Liars too, and give it a try.  :happy face

Jeremy wrote:
I'll have to rewatch the first two seasons too. Maybe we can plan a rewatch or something. Every week, we would rewatch one episode in particular and, then, we would give our feelings about it on this forum.
Hi Jeremy,

That sounds fun.  Great idea, Jeremy!   I'm in.  I have to check if it is on Netflix.  dusty, how about you?  Lin, did you see Twin Peaks before?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum