Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music)

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I apologize Jeremy, about my dropping the ball for the Twin Peaks group watch.  I can watch it sometime before the weekend and come back this weekend (or Monday) to comment. 

dusty wrote:As for sports, I don't really watch any, though I have been watching a bit of the Euros. It was very conflicting for me watching England-Iceland as I didn't know who to cheer for. I'm of neither nationality, but I have lived in England for the last 20 years and I grew up in Iceland! My parents back home had the same problem. My husband is English and was very embarrassed by the English team's performance. Go Iceland though, hope they beat France and go all the way!!

uh, sorry, but is this soccer?   ha!  I'm so bad about sports.   Interesting to learn you grew up in Iceland, but have lived in England for a while, dusty!   I can see how your loyalties would be conflicted. ha!  Your poor husband, about the English team's performance.

BTW, I don't remember, was there anyone in addition to dusty who watches GOT?  Anytime two folks want me to add a new thread/Topic about a TV show, just let me know.   Otherwise, folks can go to the here to the general thread about miscellaneous TV shows to discuss:   General Thread to Talk About TV Shows

So for the group watch of Twin Peaks, let's go here to post our comments: Twin Peaks

42Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Some films Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:41 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Saw a couple of films over the weekend,  La La Land and Moana.   I liked both.  The music was lovely in La La Land.  Pasek & Paul did a great job!   I connected with the story and the characters.   Also found Moana to be very entertaining and loved how we have a princess who is a person of color, and whose story was broader than meeting her love interest.

43Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:21 am

I rarely go to the cinema, but I remembered to go watch Fantastic Beasts last week just before it closed. It was nice seeing a new film in that universe, and one that I wasn't so biased against because I read the book 10 times as a child. :amused

44Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

So like Lilikoiluv and dusty, you are a big Harry Potter fan too.  :happy face   I want to watch Fantastic Beasts too.  It sounds like you liked it?

45Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 am

Fantastic Beats is great! I want a cute Nibbler! Then he can steal me lots of beautiful jewellery! :laughing

I saw Hacksaw Ridge the other day and wow, what a fantastic film! Deserves the Oscar for sure. Those battle scenes are some of the best that I have ever seen. It's a long time since a film has made me think about how wasteful and horrific war is and why anyone would allow it, I guess you become desensitised to it having watched it on screen so much, but this really brought it home big time. Btw, the scene with Vince Vaughan as a drill sergeant is one of the funniest scenes I have seen in a long time.

Pasek and Paul did the music for La la land? They're Darren's friends aren't they? That's amazing! I didn't know that. I liked La La Land too. The visuals were stunning and I liked the whole struggling artist story. I thought that scene with Emma Stone on the phone was fantastic acting. I have to admit as gorgeous as it was, it still felt hollow. But perhaps that was the point?

Another film I've seen recently is Lion. Wow, what an emotional rollercoaster! I cried several times. It's a true story about a little Indian boy who gets lost and ends up on a train taking him two days away from his village. He can't find his way home and eventually ends up in an orphanage where an Australian couple adopts him. As an adult he remembers his familyback in India and seeks to track them down via the help of google earth. Such a beautiful film about family and adoption and the horrors of missing kids in India. I'm pleased that the film, Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman got an Oscar nom.

Gosh, looking further up this thread I have to give my apologies Poppy and Jeremy, I never did get around to the Twin Peaks watching. Sorry! I have a lot to catch up on before the third season starts.

46Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I never did get to watch Fantastic Beasts.  sad face  I'll wait for the DVD. 

Hacksaw Ridge sounds like a wonderful film.  But I probably won't be able to watch (because I'm too sensitive to violence). 

I also want to watch Lion.  Thanks for the great summary, dusty!

I believe that Pasek & Paul wrote the lyrics for the songs in La La Land.  Melodies were by a friend of the director.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.   I thought Emma Stone did a fantastic job with her acting, and I agree that the scene of her on the phone was impressive.  Ryan Gosling was also good.  I read that he played the piano himself?   If so, that's amazing.

Thanks again for the summaries of the films that you saw, dusty!  :happy face

And no worries about Twin Peaks, dusty.    We all get busy.

47Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks for the info about Pasek and Paul poppy.

Yes, I agree about Emma Stone, she was great. I liked Gosling too. Thought he was pretty funny.

Hugs you about Twin Peaks.

Anyone else excited for the Oscars this year? I'm hoping Hacksaw Ridge takes the best film Oscar and best director for Gibson and I'm rooting for Dev Patel in supporting actor and Kidman in supporting actress. Though might change my mine after seeing Fences, planning on seeing it when it comes out here. Just by looking at the trailer alone Viola Davies is smashing it. Wow! Btw, I'm absolutely baffled at Arrival being nominated for best film. It was good, but Oscar worthy? Not in the slightest.

48Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:00 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

You're welcome, dusty.  :happy face

Hugs you back.  :hug

I haven't watched that many of the nominated films, unfortunately.  Let's see if your hopes come true, dusty.

49Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Go see Hidden Figures. It was exciting and inspirational, with good acting from the three leading ladies (Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae), a peppy soundtrack, and lovely costuming. When I went to see it, the audience was enjoying the film so much that they'd talk back to the screen.

50Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:01 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

DaisiesAndLilies,

I saw Hidden Figures.  I agree, it was soo good.  I was surprised that we were not taught about this in History.  I agree, that each of the three leads were just wonderful; every single one of them delivered convincing performances.  I teared up at least in a couple of scenes. 

My audience didn't talk back to the screen, but we cheered and laughed.

51Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

How is Jim Parsons in that movie ? I love him.

52Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I love Jim Parsons too. 

Jim Parsons played a NASA engineer.  His character was meant to be someone who was not supportive of one of the main characters (Katherine Johnson, who was played by Taraji Henson).  So his character appeared to be a jerk (until near the end), who didn't seem to appreciate that an African-American woman who worked as a "computer" (the job title for Katherine Johnson) would be in his unit. 

Here is an article that explains his character:

History vs. Hollywood wrote:
Hidden Figures (2017)

Is Jim Parsons' character, NASA engineeer Paul Stafford, based on a real person?

No. In fact-checking the Hidden Figures movie, we learned that white collar statistician Paul Stafford, portrayed by Jim Parsons, is a fictional character. He was created to represent certain racist and sexist attitudes that existed during the 1950s. In the film, he thwarts every effort Katherine (Taraji P. Henson) makes to get ahead, including reducing her job qualifications to secretarial duty, omitting her byline on official reports, and telling her it's not appropriate for women to attend space program briefings. By the end of the movie, Stafford's fictional storyline includes the character having a change of heart, which is emphasized when he brings Katherine a cup of coffee.

53Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Thank you for your elaborated answer. I like the fact you love him too. Have you ever watched a TBBT episode ?

54Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:Thank you for your elaborated answer. I like the fact you love him too. Have you ever watched a TBBT episode ?

You're welcome, Jeremy.  :happy face   I watch The Big Bang Theory regularly.  I couldn't picture anyone else playing Sheldon.  He's just so good on that show!

55Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:45 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Yeah, he's great in TBBT :heart eyes

I didn't know you watched the show. I watch it too. Maybe we should open a thread  :amused

56Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I like the show a lot.  I always appreciate a show that succeeds in making me laugh.  However, to be honest, I don't think I would participate much in a discussion of it.  It's one of those shows that I enjoy as I'm watching it on my TV screen, but as soon as the 30 minutes is over, I don't really think about what I just watched much.  Sorry about that, Jeremy.  Maybe someone else would like to discuss The Big Bang Theory?  If anyone else would like me to open a new thread for The Big Bang Theory, just let me know.  Anyone interested in engaging discussion about The Big Bang Theory?

57Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:29 am

I agree about Hidden Figures, fantastic film! I had to laugh at Jim Parsons playing an engineer, all I could think of was Sheldon putting Howard down for 'only' being an engineer. Lol!

58Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:I had to laugh at Jim Parsons playing an engineer, all I could think of was Sheldon putting Howard down for 'only' being an engineer. Lol!
ha!  He's so mean to Howard.

59Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:36 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

If you are about to go to the movie theater these days, one of the movies I would recommand you is Incident in a ghost land. Some people find it scary or disturbing but I felt comfortable while watching it (more comfortable than while watching ACS Versace) and I see it as a quite heartwarming gothic drama.

It's the story of two teenage sisters who live with their mother and don't get along well together. Their lifes change when two psychopaths - a travestite and a fat giant - invade their house. 

In some countries, it's not released yet.

60Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) - Page 3 Empty Re: Entertainment ( Films, Theater, Music) Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the recommendation Jeremy.  :happy face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum