Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren's Films

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Well, congrats to Darren for being cast in a big motion picture!!!   :bravo oh yeah dance! Yea!   That's some talented cast that Darren will be working with (and the director and executive producer have done some very successful films)!

From Darren Criss Army:

Deadline wrote:
Emmy-Nominated ‘Versace’ Star Darren Criss Boards Roland Emmerich’s ‘Midway’

September 12, 2018

EXCLUSIVE: Emmy nominated for his role as the sociopath who gunned down Gianni Versace in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, Darren Criss has boarded the Roland Emmerich-directed World War II film Midway. Criss played Andrew Cunanan in Ryan Murphy’s FX limited series.

Criss will play Lieutenant Eugene Lindsey
and he joins Woody Harrelson, Patrick Wilson, Ed Skrein, Aaron Eckhart, Luke Evans, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, and Nick Jonas in the big-scale Wes Tooke-scripted drama based on a battle considered to be the turning point in the war against Japan in WWII.

Produced by Emmerich’s Centropolis Entertainment and Harald Kloser, with Mark Gordon exec producing, the film will be released on Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment label on November 8, 2019. Bona Film Group releases it in China.

Starlight Entertainment Group is financing the $100 million budget film, in deals that were brokered during Cannes.

Criss is repped by CAA and Hyphenate Creative Management and Hansen Jacobson.

Source:  https://deadline.com/2018/09/midway-wwii-film-darren-criss-roland-emmerich-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-1202463311/

Fan Fest wrote:
Darren Criss Joins Luke Evans & Woody Harrelson in ‘Midway’

September 12, 2018

Following his Emmy-nominated role in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, Darren Criss is gearing up for his next role in Roland Emmerich’s latest World War II action film Midway. He joins an already announced (and impressive) cast of Mandy Moore (This Is Us), Luke Evans (The Alienist), and Woody Harrelson (Solo: A Star Wars Story). Also on board are Patrick Wilson, Ed Skrein, Aaron Eckhart, Dennis Quaid, and Nick Jonas.

[ . . . ]

Movie buffs may recognize Emmerich’s name from other action films such as The Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day. He will be directing a script by Wes Tooke, who has written for USA’s original series Colony. Emmerich will be producing the film alongside Harald Kloser and Yu Dong.

Criss was recently nominated for an Emmy for his role as serial killer Andrew Cunanan in Ryan Murphy’s The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. The award show will be taking place next week and Criss is a favorite to take home the win. Prior to Versace, Criss’ most notable role was that of playing Blaine on Glee, his first partnership with Murphy, a character that was meant to be a guest star but ended up becoming one of the series’ most vital characters. From there he went on to stun critics on Broadway’s Hedwig and the Angry Inch before returning to TV to once again team up with Murphy for a couple episodes of American Horror Story: Hotel. He also founded the musical theater-inspired festival ElsieFest, which just announced its 2018 lineup.
What do you think about Midway? Are you excited to see Criss on screen with such a great cast?

Be sure to catch Criss at the Emmy Awards on Monday, September 17th!

Source: Deadline
Source:  https://fanfest.com/2018/09/12/darren-criss-joins-luke-evans-woody-harrelson-in-midway/

And some more articles via Lilikoiluv's tumblr:

Navy Times wrote:
‘Midway’ blockbuster starring Woody Harrelson to begin filming next month on Oahu

August 28

The filmmaker [Roland Emmerich] behind massive hits like “Independence Day" and “The Patriot”
has locked in a filming location for a remake of the 1976 movie “Midway," starring Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda, about the decisive 1942 naval battle that became a turning point for U.S. forces in the war in the Pacific.

After scouting filming locations around Pearl Harbor, German director Roland Emmerich settled on Oahu, and will begin filming the $100-million blockbuster next month at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. . .

[ . . . ]

Navy officials have emphasized that Emmerich and crew, a team that includes Mark Gordon, who assisted with the production of “Saving Private Ryan [as well as Steve Jobs and The Day After Tomorrow],” “are dead-set on making sure it’s a historically accurate [film],” the Star-Advertiser reported. Last month, a call went out for local military members and their families to serve as extras in the film, a request that received almost 1,500 responses.

[ . . .]

Knowing when and where the enemy planned to attack in June 1942 allowed Adm. Nimitz to dispatch the carriers Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown to ambush the unsuspecting Japanese navy. Aircraft from the three U.S. ships would wind up sinking four of Japan’s lead carriers, a devastating blow that decimated Japanese dominance at sea and allowed U.S. forces to go on the offensive in the Pacific.

The Yorktown was damaged in the Battle of the Coral Sea and limped into Pearl Harbor only eight days before Midway. But with battle imminent, she was quickly patched up and prepared for a fight after 1,400 shipyard workers spent 72 hours readying the carrier, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

“There are few moments in American history in which the course of events tipped so suddenly and so dramatically as at the Battle of Midway,” author Craig Symonds wrote in his book, “The Battle of Midway.” “At dawn of June 4, 1942, a rampaging Japanese navy ruled the Pacific. By sunset, their vaunted carrier force (the Kido Butai) had been sunk and their grip on the Pacific had been loosened forever.”
Source:  https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/08/28/midway-remake-to-start-filming-next-month-on-oahu/

via gleekto

Darren's Films  - Page 2 Tumblr_peyie88Vw01xdriupo1_500

From @DCriss_News:

Wikipedia wrote:

Eugene E. Lindsey, born in Sprague, Washington, 2 July 1905, graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1927. After duty in Nevada (BB-36) and Saratoga (CV-3) he completed flight training in 1929, and served with a bombing squadron in Lexington (CV-2) and an observation squadron in Maryland (BB-46). From 3 June 1940 he commanded Torpedo Squadron Six (VT-6), which flew Douglas TBD-1 "Devastator" torpedo bombers, in Enterprise (CV-6).

Lindsey was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for successful leadership of his squadron in attacks on Kwajalein and Wotje in the Marshalls 1 February 1942.

Lindsey made a bad landing when the Enterprise Air Group returned to the ship on 28 May 1942. The destroyer Monaghan rescued Lindsey and his crew (ARM1c Charles T. Grant, Capt. Thomas E. Schaffer). Lindsey refused to let the injuries he sustained in the crash, however, keep him from leading his squadron into battle. He died in action 4 June 1942 with his rear-seat gunner C.T. Grant, ACRM, in the Battle of Midway, when their Douglas TBD Devastator was shot down by Japanese A6M2 Zero fighters, while attacking the aircraft carrier Kaga. VT-6 lost 10 out of 14 planes. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his important contribution to this great American victory.
Source:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_E._Lindsey

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total

22Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy, you announce that like it's a minor news but it's not ! It's a big project, it deserves the dancing banana smiley :big grin

It's a great news he's back in a movie, especially a movie with a big director and a quite impressive cast (Nick Jonas etc.). Besides, we're gonna see him in a WWII story, what a change !

I guess it's the project (or one of the projects) he couldn't talk about.

23Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:36 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

haha.  Sorry for the lack of celebratory emojis (the lack of does not mean I'm not happy and excited for Darren--I'm just recovering from my "vacation," and have so many things I need to do, so more a reflection of me and being a bit tired right now).  :happy face

So I edited my previous post and added some emojis celebrating Darren's casting in this big action pic, with a big director and exec. producer!  :big grin 

Yup, it's a project he couldn't talk about at that time.  Wonder if he has anything else to disclose.  Guess we'll see!

24Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Darren in a new movie! 
:very happy
Yea! oh yeah dance! celebration dance! :guitar jamming excited clapping hands applause thumbs up bow to you

They're filming part of it here on Oahu?! 
Yea!

Spoiler:

But Darren in a "blockbuster" movie!
Yea! oh yeah dance! celebration dance! :guitar jamming excited clapping hands applause thumbs up bow to you

25Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

haha, Lilikoiluv!  I think you are showing the proper amount of happy emojis!   :amused   I thought of you when I read they are filming in Hawaii.  Maybe you can go and see if you can watch part of their filming, wouldn't that be so fun?!

26Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:05 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Hello Lilikoiluv. It's so cool they will shoot where you live :happy face

Btw, Poppy, the subject of the movie must interest you, as you already talked here about the life of your Japanese parents during WWII.

27Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

The issue of how Japan and the U.S. were at odds with each other during WWII was always something that makes me and many Japanese-Americans uncomfortable.  It's part of history.  But I always wanted to hide under my desk at school whenever we covered WWII, especially during discussions of Japan's attack of Pearl Harbor. 

What happened in the U.S. to Japanese-Americans, with over 200,000 persons (including babies and little children), many of them U.S. citizens-- being interned during WWII in detention centers in the U.S. without trials (without any evidence backing the U.S. government's suspicions of espionage or sabotage on the part of Japanese-Americans) and having their homes, farms and property summarily seized by the U.S. government. . .  amounted to gross violations of Japanese-Americans' civil rights.  

So anything related to the war between Japan and the U.S. during WWII still gives me a visceral feeling of being uncomfortable.  My uncles and my step-father by the way, while they and their families were imprisoned in the detention centers in the U.S., chose to enlist in the U.S. military to fight Japan's armed forces as a show of loyalty to the U.S.

haha.  Sorry, so not my first choice of a film that I would want to watch, but I'm still very happy for Darren that he is cast in the film.  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

28Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Oops, I wasn't aware of that :apology

Hope you will enjoy the movie despite that.

29Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

haha.  No apologies necessary!  The was no way you would know what my thoughts were on this issue.  There were only 2 Japanese-American kids in my entire elementary school.  The other kids would literally turn around and stare at me every time we went over Pearl Harbor or Hiroshima in History.  But again, there is no way you would know about my experiences or my thoughts on this issue.  :hug

I will still go and see the film to show my support and to see Darren's acting in a different kind of role.  :happy face   And my husband liked the original film.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I've been really busy this week--so I haven't posted much on this forum. But this bit of news made me happy. 

Aw, this is cute.  I love that Darren continues to do voice-acting for animated projects.  :happy face

Via Darren Criss Army:

SyFy Wire wrote:
Exclusive: Batman and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meet in first animated movie crossover

Feb. 13, 2019

Darren's Films  - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_pmvgqmYS501tz53qh_540

The film’s voice cast features Troy Baker (The Last of Us, Batman: Arkham Origins) as both Batman and The Joker (making him the first actor to ever take on both roles in one project), Darren Criss (the Emmy winning star of The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story) as Raphael, Kyle Mooney (Saturday Night Live) as Michelangelo, Baron Vaughn (Grace and Frankie) as Donatello, Eric Bauza (The Woody Woodpecker Show) as Leonardo, Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) as Batgirl, Tom Kenny (Spongebob Squarepants) as The Penguin, John DiMaggio (Adventure Time) as Mr. Freeze, Tara Strong (The Powerpuff Girls) as both Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, Carlos Alazraqui (Reno 911!) as Bane, and Cas Anvar (The Expanse) as Ra’s al Ghul.

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray, and Digital late this spring. For now, check out our official first look at images from the film, as well a behind-the-scenes shot of Criss recording his dialogue as Raphael.
source:  https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-batman-and-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-meet-in-first-animated-movie

AV Club wrote:
Darren Criss and Rachel Bloom to lead Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated film

February 12, 2019

Joining Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo will be not just the Caped Crusader, but also Robin and Batgirl, the latter of whom is voiced by Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s Rachel Bloom. Bloom’s not the only big name here, either. The all-star cast also includes The Assassination of Gianni Versace’s Darren Criss, who, along with Kyle Mooney, Baron Vaughn, and Eric Bauza, will lend his voice to the teenage reptiles.

SpongeBob’s Tom Kenny and Futurama’s John DiMaggio will voice The Penguin and Mr. Freeze, respectively, while journeyman voice actor Troy Baker will, as he’s done in a number of video games, lend his voice to both Batman and The Joker. Harley Quinn, Bane, Poison Ivy, and Ra’s al Ghul will also be on hand.

The animated film swoops into your eyeballs sometime this spring.

source:  https://news.avclub.com/darren-criss-and-rachel-bloom-to-lead-batman-vs-teenag-1832601437?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF

-

31Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

So much to do and not enough time ! 

I love the idea of crossing over Batman and Ninja Turtles. And if Darren is part of the project... :amused

32Darren's Films  - Page 2 Empty Re: Darren's Films Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Sounds like a very fun project.  I always thought one of the most enjoyable jobs would be to voice-act for fun animated projects.   You get paid for making different voices!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum