Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

In April 2016, it was announced that The Little Mermaid was coming to the Hollywood Bowl.  Darren was cast as Prince Eric!    :bravo   celebrate   :very happy

I just wanna say how happy I am for Darren!    :cry    This is a dream come true for him.  To sing in a production of a show that he has loved deeply, with music written by his idol Alan Menken.    How over-the-moon happy he must be! I know Darren does not have the traditional booming Broadway voice.  And I'm assuming Alan had some say/influence in the casting, since this Hollywood Bowl production was the brainchild of himself and his representative (Richard Kraft).   So it warms my heart that Alan most likely gave his approval to Darren being cast as Prince Eric.

Some coverage from entertainment sites:

Billboard
Playbill
eonline

Criss, 29, will play Ariel’s human love interest, Prince Eric. The character does not sing in the 1989 animated movie but in the Broadway musical, he has solo numbers titled “Her Voice” and “One Step Closer” and also sings in other ensemble songs.
via eonline

Official poster for the performance of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl

Darren has a special bond with Ariel.  :happy face

Darrencriss: I may be Prince Eric at the Hollywood Bowl, but I’ll still always be Ariel in my dressing room by myself with the door closed. MOM GET OUTTA MY ROOM
PRE-SALE HAPPENING NOW with code: Seaweed (Link in bio)

ha!  This is funny.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm; edited 3 times in total

2default Interview about The Little Mermaid on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:18 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

An article in OC Register about The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl. 

"Concert Version of 'The Little Mermaid' will pack them in at the Hollywood Bowl"

"Darren Criss knew people adored the animated Disney musical 'The Little Mermaid,' but the announcement recently of a special live version at the Hollywood Bowl – with Criss as Prince Eric, the human love interest of the mermaid Ariel – really drove home that point, he says.

'Of all the things I’ve ever done, whether it was a show on Broadway or a tour, I have never in my short career had my email, phone and all my connective tissue to the outside world be so saturated and blown up as the day that thing got announced,' says the 29-year-old singer and actor known by many for his role as Blaine Anderson on 'Glee.'

'People love – LOVE – "The Little Mermaid." Big, bold letters, underlined.'

[…] Criss expressed similar sentiment for a movie that meant and still means so much to him he apologized several times for not being able to express himself as well as he wanted.

'I grow inarticulate in trying to make clear how big of a (bleepin’) deal that movie is to guys like me,' Criss says. 'I remember trying to write a bio for the program for this and it was hard for me to encapsulate how significant that movie is to my life without sounding hyperbolic or too cheeseball.'

How big a fan is Criss of 'Little Mermaid' and the Disney musicals? At college in Michigan he used to play Disney songs during brunch at a local cafe, and one day – well, let’s let him tell it.

'So of course I’m playing "Part Of Your World" (from "Little Mermaid") and Alan Menken just walks in,' Criss says. 'And part of me was just, "Oh, sorry, man, I’m so sorry," because you know I’m playing it in my own style.'

Menken apparently didn’t mind: 'He gave me a hundred dollar bill,' Criss says.

'Not only did it change the cultural landscape, but for my generation it’s basically our "Frozen,’'' he says. 'The one mutual friend we all have is the Little Mermaid.'"
OC Register

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
So Darren is selling a new T-shirt through Represent.com (the same site that we were able to get the "Not Alone" t-shirt).  

It's a cute shirt, with Darren's cute 16-year old face.   A portion of the proceeds will go to Musicians On Call.

From dailydarrennews:

@DarrenCriss: Going live on http://Facebook.com/darrencriss soon to take Disney requests and talk #thelittlemermiad

Buy a limited edition Darren Criss Tee on Represent.com

So I missed all the excitement of the Live Stream.  I snoozed, so I losed (and that's not a real word).    But thank goodness Darren made a video on his Facebook (and thank you dailydarrennews for posting it on Youtube!)!

He cracked me up at the beginning of the video, when he was talking about his photo on the t-shirt:

"This is a picture of me my sophomore year of high school . . .  This is me at like 15, 16 years old . . .  saying 'I'm in Love with a Teenage Mermaid,' because that's exactly the look on my face that I would have said that with, when I was 16, and it's still the same expression on my face when I'm basically almost 30."   ha!  giggle   :laughing

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From @DarrenArmy

More info about Darren's part in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.

Darren gets a showcase number.  :bravo

L.A.Times Article: 
In Defense of Ariel:  In a post-'Brave,' post-'Frozen' world, why the time is right for Hollywood Bowl's 'Little Mermaid'

"Those familiar with the film but not the theatrical work — a production of which, coincidentally, opens June 3 at the La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts — will see the film pause to give Prince Eric, performed by Darren Criss of 'Glee,' a showcase number."

Also some more info about what to expect:

"Kraft says he wants the artists to feel they have free rein to interpret the songs, but there are some limitations. 'It's in timed sequence to the film,' says Engel, who along with Kraft last year brought 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' to the Hollywood Bowl.

'We want them to bring their own performance of it, but the music and the words are still in sync with the film,' she says, 'with the character on the screen.'”

Another quote:

“'I discovered that three of the main characters in the movie don't have any songs,' says veteran manger-agent Richard Kraft, who also serves as the show’s creative director and, with Laura Engel, oversees Kraft-Engel Management.

'But there was a Broadway show where those characters did have songs, so we inserted into the evening some of the Broadway songs to give the other characters a chance to sing. We went back to the original movie, and found where in the movie [the song] would be, and we're building the movie around that premise.'"

Darren is in rehearsals today for The Little Mermaid.  :happy face

rebelwilson Under the Sea!!
darrencriss … Like, it’s REALLY happening! #UnderTheSea

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

AW, this is sweet.  I can imagine what a happy boy you are, Darren!  Another dream come true, to work with your idol, Alan Menken, in one of Alan's events, singing a song from The Little Mermaid, which you have loved for so long!  :happy face ❤

So nice of some of Darren's friends, and Darren's dad (awwww) "liking" Darren's rehearsal pic.   :love

Tomorrow is Friday!  The first of The Little Mermaid performances!   I'll be going to the Saturday show.  I can't wait!    Just a tad excited about this!   excited   :so happy      celebration dance!    
I'll be interested in seeing what my husband thinks of Darren's performance.  He's a big fan of Sara Bareilles too.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I can't embed some of the videos on dailydarrennews of Darren and the cast of The Little Mermaid rehearsing today.   Go here to dailydarrennews-little mermaid rehearsals.

You can just hear how wonderful the live orchestra will sound.    The cast looks very relaxed and joyful.  That makes me so happy that Darren is having such a wonderful time.  What a wonderful group of folks!  ❤  applause

Sara and Darren singing:  fallenjunkie- Sara's snapchat, Darren singing

Darren dancing and singing with the cast:  fallenjunkie Video-John Stamos Snapchat

Darren dancing (but no audio):   fallenjunkie Video -Rebel Wilson's snapchat

Darren being enthusiastic about the orchestra:  fallenjunkie-Sara Bareilles' snapchat

Darren watching:  fallenjunkie-Sara's snapchat, Darren watching.

And  Darren's Instagram,  with his enthusiastic message:  "It's Happening!!!"

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:So nice of some of Darren's friends, and Darren's dad (awwww) "liking" Darren's rehearsal pic.   :love
That's Chuck! Wink I don't think Darren's parents have any social media accounts.
Heather Morris apparently liked it, too.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lin wrote:That's Chuck! I don't think Darren's parents have any social media accounts.

Hi Lin!
Oh, you're right!  haha!   :big grin   I had no idea if Darren's dad or mom have any social media, so thanks for telling me this.   I didn't even think, until right now, that Chuck and Darren's dad share the name, Charles.    (Chuck is the informal form of Charles?  Ok, I get it now.  :amused )

One of my favorite things is the friendship and support that Darren and Chuck give to each other.  Siblings are not always so close, so it's really heartwarming to see how much these two brothers adore and support each other.   :love

Lin wrote:Heather Morris apparently liked it, too.

Enlarge this image

Thanks so much for posting that, Lin.  Aw, that's so nice of Heather to "like" Darren's video.   I always liked their friendship.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you dailydarrennews for capturing every bit of Darren-related news!

A new article from People.com of Darren in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.   It's a really nice article.  I'm going to quote the entire article, since it's short and its whole focus is on Darren.

Darren Criss on Playing Prince Eric in Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert:  'Let's Be Honest, I Wanted to Be Ariel'

Being a part of Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert is a childhood dream come true for Darren Criss, but Prince Eric wasn't the character he grew up idolizing.

"Prince Eric is great, but let's be honest, I wanted to be Ariel," the former Glee star tells PEOPLE with a laugh.

But when Criss was approached to participate in the Live in Concert version of the film at The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, he almost passed up on the opportunity.

"I first thought, 'Eric doesn't sing.' But then they told me they wanted to include songs from the Broadway version. That got my attention," he says.

After hearing the Broadway soundtrack, the 29-year-old asked the producers if he could re-envision the song to better fit his voice.

"I don't have a big, Broadway voice, so I am making it a bit more pop-contemporary," says Criss, who will play the guitar and be backed by a full orchestra during the song. "That said, it's still going to be a challenge."

His song aside, Criss is most excited to be participating in the production with some of his favorite actors and singers.

"I really wanted to celebrate The Little Mermaid, but I would not be willing to get up in front of all those Disney fans if I wasn't doing it with people that I admire and have a lot of respect for as performers," Criss says of working with Sara Bareilles as Ariel, Tituss Burgess as Sebastian the Crab, Rebel Wilson as Ursula and John Stamos as Chef Louis.

"The Little Mermaid is a movie that meant so much to me as a kid," Criss says. "I just love that it is going to be celebrated – and that I get to be a part of it."

Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert will be performed Friday, Saturday and Monday nights at 8 p.m. at The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
People.com

I admire Darren for acknowledging his strengths and limitations, and being assertive about adjusting his material.  (A lesson he learned from working on Glee?)    Likewise, I also admire the producers for working with Darren, in being flexible with the artists' interpretation of the songs.   I have to think that Alan Menken also gave his stamp of approval in the decision-making as well.   Such a wonderful group of people for Darren to work with!

In the article, the writer and Darren mention "the song" (singular versus plural) that Darren will be playing with his guitar and the orchestra.   Prince Eric had two solos in the Broadway production, "Her Voice," and "One Step Closer."  

My guess is that Darren will be singing at least "Her Voice" (and hopefully "One Step Closer," but it's unclear), since "Her Voice" is the more emotional of the two, about how deeply Prince Eric feels about Ariel, and is such a beautiful song, lyrically and melodically.  

Nice touch on Darren's part to put in a word in the article about how honored he is to be working with this talented cast.

I like how the article mentions Darren's long-standing affection and bond with The Little Mermaid, "Being a part of Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert is a childhood dream come true for Darren Criss, but Prince Eric wasn't the character he was idolizing."  ha!  As fans of Darren, we all knew that Darren connects the most with Ariel.  :amused  

Aw, and nice way to close the article:  "'The Little Mermaid is a movie that meant so much to me as a kid,' Criss says, 'I just love that it is going to be celebrated--and that I get to be a part of it.'"    Typical Darren, humble, grateful, and feeling blessed and honored.  I love that about him.   Well done, Darren. 

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews,

New article which includes some of the fun rehearsal videos by the cast: 

Sara Bareilles, John Stamos, Darren Criss tease Little Mermaid live show

Note:  I wish these last two articles would also acknowledge that Norm Lewis is starring as King Titon in these productions as well.    He has an amazing voice, and he is reprising his role from the Broadway production.

Need to add Mia's tweet:

Photo

I wonder what John's avatar is of? confused  I don't know

More pics and videos, courtesy of dailydarrennews and fallenjunkie.

rebelwilson: Looking forward to seeing everyone at The Hollywood Bowl tonight xx

ha!  Rebel's face in the background!  She's so funny.  :laughing

darrencriss: Kiss Cam!

Darren must be so ecstatic to meet the original voice of Ariel!  :smiley-love073

jodi.benson: Thrilled to sing with @darrencriss
dailydarrennews

Very cute!  The two Ariels with Darren.  :happy face :love

jodi.benson: @hollywoodbowl The Little Mermaid memories with @sarabareilles @darrencriss
dailydarrennews

Aw, this is a great video, John Stamos and Darren "singing" Ariel's voice.  :biggrin.png:    Funny!   Sorry I can't embed.  :laughing
fallenjunkie- Darren and John Stamos during soundcheck for The Little Mermaid via John’s Snapchat
(via  dailydarrennews)

Darren making a mention of his "I'm in love with a teenage mermaid" shirt.  I'll be buying one, especially since partial proceeds go to Musicians on Call.  :happy face

darrencriss Who’s in ♥️ with a teenage mermaid? THIS guy. New shirt on represent.com!
dailydarrennews

Instagram Video, from Darren about his t-shirt.  Silly man!  :amused
darrencriss: "This makes more sense. Thanks again Represent.com … Fun fact: this is me in high school the same year Ariel woulda been in high school"

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 4 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews,

@TerriSeymour: Good luck @johnstamos @rebelwilson @darrencriss with the #TheLittleMermaid concert tonight @hollywoodbowl #ExtraTv

Huh, for some reason, I can't make the pics line up the way they do on dailydarrennews.  confused

Via Elsie Fest’s Snapchat | June 3

Another cute, pre-concert video, this time with Tituss in it too.  Cute!   Love Tituss's funny facial expression.  :amused
dailydarrennews-John Stamos' Snapchat (June 3)

dailydarrennews's decision to do masterposts makes a lot of sense.  I'm just grateful that they are so nice about spending all their time and energy to find, collect, and post all this coverage of Darren!  :thank you bow to you

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 3, 2016

I apologize, usually I try to put things in order of how they were posted by dailydarrennews or @Darren Army.   But I wanted to put at the top of this long post, that Darren did the arrangement of "Her Voice" with Jeffrey Hoeppner, and also wanted to put a full audio of the quartet of "If Only" at the top of this post. 

Darren is singing "Her Voice!"
From @DarrenArmy
Tweet (with Photo) from someone at The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl tonight (June 3, Friday).

"Her Voice" Arranged by Darren Criss & Jeffrey Hoeppner.
Source

Beautiful song "If Only" Performed by Darren, Sara, Tituss, and Norm.  So lovely.  Darren did a wonderful  job.  :love   Norm's voice though.  :cry

If Only (The Little Mermaid Live at the Hollywood Bowl)

lovetheblazer
Source
via dailydarrennews

From dailydarrennews:

Very sweet message from Maddy. :happy face

maddya109
 @darrencriss You are animated, upbeat, funny, and awesome! Your talent inspires so many people! I cannot wait to see your performance in The Little Mermaid Concert!!!

ashleysutherlandwinch It’s a pretty amazing day @hollywoodbowl #americaninmacau

dailydarrennews
source

Camilla‏ .@DarrenCriss introducing Alan Menkin #littlemermaid

dailydarrennews
jodi.benson: Fantastic performance @darrencriss #littlemermaidlive

Nice group photo

dailydarrennews
@SaraBareilles: This is my dream. And it just happened. Omg. #gratefulmermaid

Aw, cute pic! 

dailydarrennews
jodi.benson: I think he’s a Mermaid fan! Loved sharing the stage with you tonight @darrencriss  You are an incredible talent and such a kind person #littlemermaidlive #DreamBigPrincess

Some short videos of Darren performing tonight:

From dailydarrennews: Short Video of Darren singing tonight ("Her Voice"):
disneylandfitgirl video, via belleybuttons

From @DarrenArmy
Another short video of Darren singing tonight
Ashley Weston's snapchat

From @DarrenArmy
Another short video of Darren tonight:
@PatrickGomezLA

And a nice video of curtain call
suzteel: The majority of the bows from The Little Mermaid tonight.

oh yeah dance!    Video of Cast dancing at the end of curtain call:
The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016   Source

Very short video clip of Darren coming out for his bow (be warned:  loud screaming from audience member):
lemonlimeon:
Darren’s curtain call at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. (6/3/16)

Some pics of Darren performing tonight:

The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016   x/  x  /  x]

x /  x  /  x

One of my GF pals took a pic with Darren!!   :love   I'm so happy for her!   oh yeah dance! :very happy   celebration dance!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 7 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 3, 2016.

Yes!   A long video of Darren performing "Her Voice"!!  :bravo
From dailydarrennews:

From dailydarrennews:

From @DarrenArmy,  A full video of the quartet of "If Only"!!

From dailydarrennews: 
Compilation of clips of Darren singing ‘Her Voice’ at The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016
Click on: dailydarrennews   
Sources:  [x/x/x/x]

From dailydarrennews:   Video: "Guys. Little Mermaid Live In Concert was AH-MAZING. Here’s a short clip of when they all came back out to say bye and finish the night off."   ragtagheart:

More short videos from @DarrenArmy

Video Clip of of Sara and Darren singing together ("If Only"?):  Source

Video Clip of Darren singing "Her Voice":  Source

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I'm going to see The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl tonight, so I won't be updating this forum much before the show tonight.   I'll post my views on the show tomorrow (my guess is it's gonna be two thumbs up!  thumbs up ).   

dailydarrennews and  @DarrenArmy are doing a fantastic job of catching all the news!  We are so lucky to have such devoted Darren fans!! :bravo   bow to you   :hug

Courtesy of dailydarrennews, one more youtube video of last night (June 3, Friday) of "If Only."   Beautifully done.

Another youtube video of Darren singing "Her Voice" (6/3/16) added:

From dailydarrennews:  another compilation of Darren singing "Her Voice" on June 3, 2016:  dailydarrennews
Also:  opalineskies/ Source:  x/x/x/x

If you are interested, an article from broadwayworld.com captured some videos of the rest of the cast.

dailydarrennews captured some reviews!   Some nice things said.  applause

“Glee” star Darren Criss gets to add some depth to the animated Prince Eric with the addition of the song “Her Voice.” Criss even provides accompaniment on the guitar, noting “I don’t play the flute” like his animated counterpart

- L.A. Theater Review: ‘The Little Mermaid in Concert’ at the Hollywood Bowl | Variety.com

Criss looked and played the part of Eric perfectly as well, showcasing his smooth, mesmerizing vocals.

- eonline’s review of Hollywood Bowl’s Little Mermaid

Darren Criss as Prince Eric: Damn, the girls went nuts for this. So much high-pitched screaming for this Glee alum. Of all the performers costumes that were an homage to their characters, Criss is the one who really went for it: White button-up top (with the top several buttons un-buttoned, to the delight of all those fangirls, I’m sure), blue jeans, black boots, and red makeshift belt. For the song from the Broadway show “Her Voice,” he said to the crowd, “I can’t play the flute, but I can play the guitar,” and he proceeded to to just that (Again, the fangirls went nuts. I don’t know how they were still upright.), channeling Sting in the song that had a bit of a Police-like quality in this show. Criss was also the show’s MC, announcing from offstage each singer — though for his own entrance, he said, “Ladies and gentlemen — oh, it’s me.”

-  ‘Little Mermaid’ live concert screening an utter delight for Disney fans | hitfix

One more quote from the  hitfix  article:

"The performers were so dynamic, from Criss’ passion to Bareilles’ sweet, heartfelt performance to Burgess looking like he’s about to burst with utter joy."

Pics from last night (June 3):

dailydarrennews
x/  x  /  x

He just looks so happy here (hugging Delaney, Jodi Benson's daughter).

dailydarrennews
June 3, 2016 | Source

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 pm; edited 6 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
My Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016 (Part 1 of 3)

Ah, this evening was magical.  Truly it was.  It surpassed my expectations, and as a fan of so many of the actors/singers featured in this cast, as well as a fan of the film and Mr. Alan Menken, that's saying a lot.

So I know that dailydarrennews  (because they are so efficient--are they not doing a fantastic job of capturing all The Little Mermaid moments?!) already has posted a very nice review by juleswritesthis of this June 4 performance    Some parts of my review may seem repetitive, since Jules and I share similar opinions about tonight. 

Let me start by saying that Alan Menken performed before the film and concert began.  Darren introduced him.   As Jules said, when I saw that Darren had King Triton's trident, I had to smile, because well, just quintessential Darren, right?  So quirky and fun-loving, his own little homage to The Little Mermaid in his own Darren-kind-of-way.  :amused    

Note:  I had to edit this one more time to add pics of Darren with King Triton's trident.  It's so funny.
:big grin

dailydarrennews
Hollywood Bowl’s Little Mermaid - June 4, 2016 | source

One thing I do want to mention is that I enjoyed so much getting to see and hear Alan Menken, such a legend, perform a medley of his hit songs from his films.   He was so animated and passionate, it was truly a special treat to see him perform his own work. 

Sara's voice was beautiful.  I've always admired her talent as a singer before, but I did not expect to be so impressed with the beauty of her voice, how well she expressed emotion in her singing, and her vocal control.   Her physical movements and facial expression really added to her performance as well.    Since this was the first time I had seen all of the cast perform live, except for Darren, I would say that Tituss as Sebastian impressed me the most of those who I had not seen before.  He really became his character, his accent, his body movements, the various emotions of Sebastian reflected in his voice as he sang his songs.   His voice is amazing, so full of character and so animated, so beautiful in its tone and emotion.   I am a fan.   Norm played King Triton, Ariel's father, and his voice is astounding in its power and control (which so aptly captures who King Triton is at first), a gorgeous voice.   John as Chef Louis was funny.  I remember his style of singing was mostly "talk-singing," and a large part of his major scene was physical comedy (the "conducting" described by Jules), so I didn't get a real sense of his singing voice, but good comedic acting (Blaine's bro Cooper would approve).  I also felt I did not get a good sense of Rebel's singing voice, but let me say, that she put so much into her acting.  She strutted, she frowned, she postured, well, she just really did all that she possibly could to sell Ursula, and she succeeded.  Well done, Rebel!  Joshua Colley was adorable and I can see he is a very talented kid. 

Ok, now for the main course.   As most people know after seeing the videos, Darren's one solo was "Her Voice."   He also had a substantial part in the quartet of "If Only."   

Courtesy of dailydarrennews, here is "Her Voice" (June 4 performance):

I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but "Her Voice" was not in the animated film.  It was in the Broadway production of The Little Mermaid.   For this event at the Hollywood Bowl, they played the animated film on the large screen and when a character would sing certain songs, they would have the performer come on stage to sing, all the while synchronized with the singing by the animated character while the film played (but the film would be silent because the stage performer would be singing).   Since "Her Voice" was not in the film, they played the film leading up to a scene involving Prince Eric.  Then they stopped the film and had Darren appear on stage to sing.  So even though the song was not in the film, there was a narrative context for the song.  The film up to that point, showed how Prince Eric felt, after being stranded on the shore after his ship sunk and being half-conscious, as a worried Ariel looked at him and sang.   He remembers this beautiful voice when he first struggled into consciousness, connected to a moment when he was in need of help, when he found himself lucky to be alive (because Ariel swam him to safety while he was unconscious).  The lyrics to this song may be found here: allmusicals.com.

Ok, so back to Darren's performance of "Her Voice."

There is one small (constructive) criticism I would say about the performance.   I would say that I would have liked to have him lose the guitar while he sang this song.   And the reason why I say this, is that for Darren, he conveys so much in his body language.    Because Darren was playing the guitar, I felt that he wasn't able to use his upper body as much, because Darren conveys a lot of emotion from his character by the way he holds himself (his posture), and in the movement of his arms and hands.

So that's just one thing.  As for his vocal performance, I loved it!   Many times when I see Darren perform (via someone videotaping a performance), I can hear how much he has grown vocally.   In this performance, I could hear and admire how much Darren's vocal control has improved, because it really has.  I really thought Darren did a wonderful job (as my husband can attest to, due to the huge smile on my face during the entire song performance.  :amused )   It was truly a joy for me to see and hear him perform this lovely song live.   I could hear the emotion in his voice, and to me, emotion is almost always the most important part of a song performance (for both a concert, and for a musical performance during a theater production).   hitfix reviewed the June 3 performance, and I agree with that reviewer that Darren delivered a passionate performance.  I also agree with another reviewer of the June 3 perfomance from Variety.com that Darren's performance of "Her Voice" added depth and understanding of the emotional state of Prince Eric, in terms of how deeply he was affected by Ariel's voice during his moment of need.   His tone was beautiful.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 9 times in total

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Thanks for your review! thumbs up I'm glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed the show so much!

Darren looks and sounds great in all the pictures and videos. This concert was such a fun little opportunity for him, I'm happy for him that he got to work with so many friends/idols/awesome people.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Lin! 

You're welcome, Lin.  I went back and edited the first part of my review a few times, to add the names of the sites that reviewed Darren's June 3 performance, and then correct grammar stuff and typos (I kept typing "King Titon," not "Triton," and apparently not catching the typos all at one time.  Multiple oops.  Rolling Eyes )  Plus, apparently my hubby is shy about his views being posted by me, so I took that out, even though his view was very positive (sorry hubby!). :smiley-embaras 

Lin wrote:Darren looks and sounds great in all the pictures and videos. This concert was such a fun little opportunity for him, I'm happy for him that he got to work with so many friends/idols/awesome people.

I so agree, Lin.  This concert was such a great opportunity for him, aside from the nice exposure to many people, he got to work with one of his idols, Alan Menken, and to work with some very talented people who also seemed very nice and laid back, just a really fun group of people.   One of my favorite parts of the night was at curtain call.  On stage, the whole cast was just having so much fun, dancing and enjoying the evening.  The whole group, including Alan Menken, sang together on stage ("Under the Sea").  Darren in particular was really dancing up there, as you can see in people's videos, just having a blast.  I love how much Darren relishes life and really lives in the moment!  :love

My Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016 (Part 2 of 3)

dailydarrennews posted this video of the June 4 performance of "If Only."

Ok, so just a short little review of "If Only."  This was a lovely quartet.  Sara sang first, then Darren walked on stage singing his part, then Tituss/Sebastian joined them, followed by Norm/King Triton.  Everyone did wonderfully on this song!  Just a beautiful song.   I loved the overlapping vocals.   Sometimes it is hard to make out the lyrics of each character because they overlap, so you can find the lyrics broken down by character here:  allmusicals.com.  

I agree with Jules in her review that Darren really shined in this song.  While Sara was singing, I felt a sense of gentle wistfulness from Ariel, of how much she wanted to express her feelings for Prince Eric to him.   Then when Darren came on stage, you saw the contrast with Prince Eric's emotions. From his first step on stage, I saw through Darren's acting, along with his voice, how very sad and conflicted Prince Eric felt.  You felt the confusion that Prince Eric was feeling, over his bond with the Ariel who he has grown to know and care about (who lost her voice), versus his longing to find the woman with the beautiful voice that he connects with the time he felt so lucky to be alive.  You felt Prince Eric's fear of losing this Ariel he has grown to love, because he was searching for another woman.   Really, truly very impressive.  During the course of the song, Darren's voice would just soar, as Jules mentioned,  with these wonderful notes, and just as importantly, would soar with emotion.   Near the end of the song, Darren had to hold this note for quite a while to the very end of the song (starting around point 4:35 in the video).   Again, quite impressive!  Just lovely.   So Prince Eric/Darren's note, his soft, sad voice, is the last thing we hear when the song ends.  The last words Prince Eric/Darren sings are:  "But Ill lose her." 

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I'm also happy you had such a good time watching the show :happy face

Personally, I always prefer that singers let their musicians play the instruments and are more invested in the "body language".

19default The Little Mermaid - June 3 performance on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Jeremy!

Jeremy wrote:I'm also happy you had such a good time watching the show

Aw, thank you, Jeremy.  :happy face

Jeremy wrote:
Personally, I always prefer that singers let their musicians play the instruments and are more invested in the "body language".

When it's Darren singing his own music and his covers of non-theater-related songs, I enjoy him playing his musical instruments.  Or in the setting of Elsie Fest, I enjoyed listening to Darren playing his guitar while he sang songs from Broadway shows, because that was more of a concert or music festival.    I think when it's in the setting of singing a song from a theater piece, where the focus is on the "scene" from the theater piece that is associated with the song, I prefer the performer to sing and act out the performance, with like you said, letting the musicians play the instruments (unless the character from the theater piece was playing an instrument, then it's part of the scene from that theater piece). 

Nice to see Dylan supporting Darren.  :happy face

dylansaunders: A truly epic experience watching this fellow take the stage at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. Congrats DC!

Trisha Paytas is an American actress, entertainer, model, author and YouTube personality.  Her video and message:

tirpse With video:
"Trisha Paytas got to see this gorgeousness up close and personal last night. Prince Eric will always be bae @DarrenCriss"

June 3 Performance

This is really nice!  Periscopes of the June 3 show.
dailydarrennews
Via @mrjanallinone​:

•  First part 
  •  Second Part - Darren sings Her Voice and If only

Via @UniqueLexique:

• First Part
  • Second Part - Part Of Your World
  • Third Part - Poor Unfortunate Souls
  • Fourth Part - Her Voice, Les poissons
  • Fifth Part - Kiss The Girl, If Only
  • Sixth Part - Jodie Benson and Curtain Call

A really nice close up of Darren singing "Her Voice,"  June 3, which dailydarrennews captured as part of a compilation on youtube.
Source: Erik Keskinen

Another compilation of clips-June 3

"Her Voice," June 3. dailydarrennews.
Darren singing Her Voice - June 3, 2016 | Source

"Her Voice" (full song) June 3.  dailydarrennews - by x-monika-x:
Darren Criss as Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl - June 3, 2016

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 pm; edited 8 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016

Videos:

Most of the Songs, June 4

"Her Voice," June 4

"If Only," June 4

"If Only," June 4

"Her Voice," June 4 - dailydarrencriss- by twobirdsonesong:
Clip of “Her Voice” // Little Mermaid Live @ The Hollywood Bowl // 6.04.16

This is so cute:  Darren is dancing up a storm at curtain call.  He looks so happy.  :happy face

rachielgf
"Of course Darren is the one dancing his butt off. This show was amazing!"
via dailydarrennews

"Her Voice," June 4, dailydarrennews
Source

So Darren taking over EW's instagram yesterday (Saturday June 4).  Should be fun.  :amused

@EW: Prince Eric (AKA @DarrenCriss) is taking over our Instagram before tonight’s performance of #TheLittleMermaid!

Darren talking about taking over @entertainment weekly (Video):
dailydarrennews
darrencriss I’m takin over @entertainmentweekly for #LittleMermaidLIVE so hang on to your tail fins !

From Darren

entertainmentweekly No les poissons today… Just a small, light Filipino pre-show meal fit for a prince. Shoutout to tocino & garlic rice & eggs…

Cute!  From Darren.
dailydarrennews (with Video)
"entertainmentweekly An appropriate song to accompany my day.  @darrencriss #dinnerandashow #LittleMermaidLIVE"

From Darren.

entertainmentweekly Let’s just say the mermaids in my house are crushing getting ready - @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE

dailydarrennews-(Video from Darren)
entertainmentweekly @titusssawthis aka #Sebastian singing me to the #HollywoodFishBowl, his voice makes me go [kitty face?] @darrencriss #TitussBurgess #LittleMermaidLIVE

From Darren

entertainmentweekly Where my [fish] at? - @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE

From Darren
dailydarrennews (Video from Darren)
"entertainmentweekly Gotta go! I mean gotta walk! I mean gotta run! I mean gotta stay all day in the sun! @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE"

From Darren

dailydarrennews
entertainmentweekly:
#AlanMenken, personal hero and composer of the #LittleMermaid, along with SO many of our favorite Disney tunes! Dude’s got mad gills. @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE THANK YOU @entertainmentweekly for having me!

Some nice pics.

dailydarrennews
ehhmuhhhhh:
Darren Criss[heart icon]

dailydarrennewsx
Source

dailydarrennews
crossmyharts:
in complete awe of this one. he never fails to leave me speechless.

Source

Source

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 pm; edited 11 times in total

21default June 4 -The Little Mermaid on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews (June 4 Performance):

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016

Review by a fan of the June 4 performance- The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid in Concert - June 4 - My Experience

dailydarrennews
juleswritesthis:

Just got home from watching the Little Mermaid . What an incredible show and wonderful experience. What struck me is the majority of the audience were adults (mostly 20′s and 30′s if I were to guess). And we were all watching the movie raptly as if the first time. And though I would guess that most have seen the movie folks were still delighted by the characters and charmed by the film. 

The actors were awesome. First Sara sounded amazing, truly was fantastic. Titus looked like he was having a ton of fun. My section was clapping and singing Under the Sea in unison. Also his Sebastian accent was spot on. The kid that played Flounder was adorable and very talented. Norm Lewis who played King Triton had the booming Broadway voice and though his solo was short he sounded incredibly powerful. Rebel Wilson was hilarious, she kept winking and hamming it up to the audience. At the end of her solo Sara took her hand and they left the stage hand in hand. It was adorable. John Stamos was fantastic. He took the conductors baton and started waving it around during his solo. The audience went wild. 

Then there was Darren. Oh wow that man has a strong presence and so much charm and charisma. At the beginning of the show he walked out in shorts, a shirt and King Triton’s Trident. My friend turned to me and said, “I thought he was playing Prince Eric.” I’m like yeah but it’s Darren. LOL. Anyway he introduced everyone and of course when it was his part he said the whole “me.” Her Voice is probably my least favorite song from the show but he did great and I loved that he played the guitar as well. Darren really shined during If Only. All 4 actors sang beautifully. I especially loved when Sara and Darren had their little duet during the song and the screen showed them next to each other though they were standing apart on stage. Really cool. Anyway Darren was fantastic and his voice soared beautifully at the end of the song. 

After the intermission there was a violin solo by Sandy Cameron. She was unbelievable. She played a medley of the LM soundtrack, accompanied by the orchestra, and she was walking and dancing as well. We were all awestruck by her talent and energy. 

Another favorite part was when Sara introduced Jodi Benson. The crowd went crazy, like totally nuts. Then she said she would like to sing. I had tears in my eyes. This woman’s voice is so much a part of my childhood that listening to her live felt like a dream. What an incredible moment. I don’t even know how to describe the feeling. I’m so glad she was included. 

Alan Menken started the show with a medley of his songs, from Aladdin, to Hercules, to Little Shop of Horrors, to Newsies and Galavant and many others. What a dream to listen to the man who has created so much of the music that I grew up and that I still cherish until today.

I’m so glad I got the chance to see the show and experience the magic. I’ll never forget it. 

Videos - June 4 Performance

Her Voice (full song), June 4- dailydarrenews
darrenburr:
Darren singing Her Voice at the June 4, 2016 show.

Two nice clips of Darren singing "Her Voice," June 4.
"Her Voice," June 4-dailydarrennews
wiseshots:
Small clip of @darrencriss singing #HerVoice at #TheLittleMermaid last night. #darrencriss

And her second video:
"Her Voice," June 4-dailydarrennews
wiseshots:
Another small clip of @darrencriss from last night #darrencriss #thelittlemermaid

June 4- Darren introducing Alan Menken. dailydarrennews
ehhmuhhhhh
snippet - introduction by darrencriss

Nice  set of clips from dailydarrennews:

Some of my favorite pics, Darren with King Triton's trident.  :amused  I think TiburonWriter took these?

dailydarrennews
whatdiditellyouflawless

/x/x/

Source

dailydarrennews
x

ehhmuhhhhh
finale the little mermaid

These are really nice close ups.  The middle one is particular is adorable.  :love

dailydarrennews
crossmyharts:
darren looking precious during bows last night.

I'm guessing Darren is smiling at Alan Menken as he enters the stage for curtain call?

dailydarrennews
brentonchase:
Little Mermaid June 4, 2016 at the Hollywood bowl

Nice group pics:

dailydarrennews
rebelwilson: Sooooo much fun working with this incredible cast! And singing such incredible material! Thanks Norm, Josh, Darren, Sara, Sandy, Titus and John and Thanks Alan Menken for being such a lovely genius x ps final show MONDAY at the Hollywood Bowl!!

dailydarrennews
June 4, 2016 | Broadwayworld.com

hedwig-darren:
June 4, 2016 | Source

So Darren knew Brianna Lee in high school?  :happy face

brianaleevocals: I love my sisters! And @darrencriss sang me a song he wrote in high school with my name in it. I won’t repeat the words. #littlemermaid #ariel #jodibenson #princeeric #darrencriss

Aw, nice to see Adam Shankman there.  :happy face

adamshankman: Smashing with @darrencriss (aka prince Erik) while the devi…I mean @johnstamos err…chef Louis, looks on. #devilsonmyshoulder #littlemermaidatthehollywoodbowl

Darren is such a ham.  Nice message from Delaney (Jodi Benson's daughter).

delaneyybenson I think I was dehydrated due to the many tears I lost
- Thank you for truly being the sweetest guy I have ever met

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:46 pm; edited 4 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews

Nice mentions of Darren by BroadwayWorld.com.  Not sure if the reviewer saw the June 3 or June 4 show, but I'm assuming it probably was the June 4 show.

Along with a 12-member chorus, the assembled orchestra was soon joined one-by-one by the headliners to sing songs live, with Glee’s Disney-loving breakout heartthrob (and Broadway standout) Darren Criss announcing intros from off-stage (he himself announced his own entrance in the second half to sing his own dreamy solo, dressed head-to-toe in perfect Prince Eric cosplay).

[…] By the time Criss stepped in equipped with guitar and teen dream smolder to sing “Her Voice” (another song featured in the Broadway production), the audience was swooning. The guy definitely has stage presence.

Arguably the evening’s best number, though, was the quartet on the written-for-Broadway “If Only” that featured Criss, Bareilles, Burgess, and Lewis in a virtual four-way sing-off that was as beautiful as it was moving. My gosh, these folks are talented.

- Broadwayworld.com

I like the words they use to describe Darren:

--"Glee's Disney-loving breakout heartthrob (and Broadway standout)"

--"to sing his own dreamy solo,"

--[...] by the time Criss stepped in equipped with guitar and teen dream smoulder to sing "Her Voice" . . . the audience was swooning.

--"The guy definitely has stage presence."

--"Arguably the evening's best number, though, was the quartet on the written-for-Broadway "If Only" that featured Criss, Bareilles, Burgess, and Lewis in a virtual four-way sing-off that was as beautiful, as it was moving.  My gosh, these folks are talented."

23default The Little Mermaid on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Darren Criss goes under the sea while taking over our Instagram account
For women of a certain age group, Prince Eric, the big-eyed, broad-chested love interest for Ariel in The Little Mermaid, was their first real crush. (Animation be damned.) So why shouldn’t crush-worthy Darren Criss, the charismatic former Glee star, have his shot at playing the classic Disney boyfriend.
 Before spending three nights playing Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid Live at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, Criss took over EW’s Instagram (and our hearts).Thanks to Darren, though, we were able to join along for the wet and wild ride. | EW.com

Darren showing his love for Jodi Benson, the original Ariel.  :love

darrencriss: Come bask in the glory of Disney icon @jodi.benson , aka the ORIGINAL ARIEL herself tonight at #littlemermaid @hollywoodbowl ! Can’t believe I can’t to sing with this amazing mermaid

A little typo there.

And this sounds nice.  A sing-a-long. 

Aw, a nice message from Jodi.

A few more pics from the June 4 performance.

dailydarrennews
June 4, 2016 | Source

This was from the June 3 performance.

dailydarrennews
Source

Some love and pride from St. Ignatius:

Her Voice video | If Only video | If Only 2nd video

Paula and Darren at The Little Mermaid after party (go to my photos/gifs thread to see the gif of Darren dancing behind Paula. :amuseddarrencrissfanforum)

@PaulaAbdul: .@DarrenCriss, the charming Prince Eric who I caught DANCING behind me at the #LittleMermaidLIVE after party! LOL!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
My Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016 (Part 3 of 3)

A few short things I forgot to mention in my review of The Little Mermaid, the June 4 performance.

Both Jules (fan review) in her review (juleswritesthis), and the reviewer of the Broadwayworld.com article commented on Darren's presence.   Darren did introductions for this production of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, and although the introductions were short, he came across as comfortable, confident, and full of positive energy and good humor.  I was wondering why he was chosen to do introductions.  If I had to guess, it would be because perhaps Alan has noticed that Darren does have loads of charisma when he hosts events.  Remember, Darren hosted the same Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards that Alan Menken was present at (2012). 

adorkabledarrencriss

Maybe Alan has even seen Darren host other events?  One thing that my husband noted at The Little Mermaid performance that we attended on Saturday, is that Darren just comes across as a really down-to-earth, nice guy, with a good sense of humor and a great deal of enthusiasm.   He is just so likeable.  In terms of charisma, I have noted that when Darren is just himself, he has such a large personality that it's hard not to notice him.   He sets himself apart.  For example, at curtain call, he was dancing up a storm.  He looked like he absolutely was bursting with joy.  It's hard for one's eyes not to be drawn to such a large personality which exudes so much positive energy.  Look at him here at curtain call.  dailydarrennews. Video by rachielgf.

gif of Darren June 3

larra-belle
The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016
via wherenothingisforkeeps

I also would like to think that Alan and Darren have built some kind of relationship over the years, and maybe this played a part in Darren being asked to do the introductions for The Little Mermaid performances at the Hollywood Bowl.  (Alan met college-age Darren singing Alan's music in a cafe near the U of Michigan, and Darren also sang a musical tribute to Alan Menken at the Billboard Film & TV Music Conference in 2011.

In any event, whatever the reason why they asked Darren to do the introductions for The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, it was an honor that Darren was asked, especially when it was Darren who introduced Alan Menken to the stage at the beginning of the evening. 

One small thing I wanted to note, is that Lin mentioned that Darren looked and sounded great in the pics and videos.   This is the third time I've seen Darren in person (first time was in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway, and second time was at the concert with Seth Rudetsky in San Francisco, the Broadway at the Nourse concert).   Darren really does look striking in person.   And for some reason, this third time that I saw him, at The Little Mermaid performance, he looked even more striking.   If he ever chose to do rom-coms, between his striking good looks and his enormous charisma, he would have the audience eating out of the palm of his hands. 

Finally, one thing I forgot to mention, has to do with Jodi Benson, the original Ariel.   I loved Sara Bareilles's performance.  She was a breathtaking Ariel.   But for those who grew up with this animated film and with the voice of Jodi's Ariel lodged in their fond memories, when you hear this familiar voice of Ariel singing "Part of Your World," you just are filled with memories, and a warm and fuzzy feeling takes over you.  It's quite powerful.  Before I knew it, my eyes were full of tears.  It was like seeing a beloved old friend.   It was a magical ending to a magical evening. 

This video was from the June 4 performance.   For many of us, Jodi is Ariel.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 pm; edited 5 times in total

25default The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From @DarrenArmy.  some media coverage:

Here is a really nice article that talks about all the wonderful moments of the evening. 

Our Favorite Moments from The Little Mermaid Live in Concert

"8. Darren Criss, who plays Prince Eric, sang 'Her Voice' from the Broadway musical and was, frankly, super dreamy."

"Heart eyes were flying around the arena when this happened. Darren entered the stage and announced that he 'can’t play the flute, but he can play the guitar.'  He played the guitar and sang like an angel. More heart eyes. His outfit was also perfectly Prince Eric inspired. We can’t get over how great the casting and costuming was for this event."

"13. The duet of 'If Only' from the Broadway musical with Ariel and Prince Eric was breathtaking."

"Sara Bareilles and Darren Criss have beautiful, crystal clear voices that rang out during this gorgeous love song. It was amazing to be able to hear Ariel’s thoughts through song, and the struggle between the two characters as Ariel grasps to communicate without her voice and Eric searches for the girl he once heard sing to him."
ohmydisney

broadway.com
has a photo gallery.  Here's a nice pic of Darren ("Her Voice").

"
Of course Darren Criss had his guitar on hand!"
(Photo: Randall Michelson Photography)

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 6, 2016

Videos (June 6 performance)

"If Only" with Jodi Benson, Darren Criss, Norm Lewis Lewis, Tituss Burgess (June 6, 2016)

"Her Voice," June 6, 2016

From @DarrenArmy, this PopSugar article has a video of every song performed in The Little Mermaid Concert at the Hollywood Bowl: 
Every Single Magical Performance From the Little Mermaid's Live Concert (PopSugar.com)

Videos From dailydarrennews (June 6 performance):

Nice video clip (1 minute long) of "Her Voice"
dailydarrennews (Video. Her Voice. 6/6/16)
"
brentisbored: @darrencriss’ final performance as Prince Eric 6/6/2016 #littlemermaidlive"

A very cool compilation of snapchats, includes Darren singing "Her Voice," "If Only," and backstage video of Darren and John Stamos listening to Susan Egan and Brad Kane singing (A Whole New World), and a funny backstage moment between Rebel and and Darren. 
dailydarrennews (Video Compilation)
Snapchat compilation of Darren at the Little Mermaid Live - June 6, 2016 [From Perez Hilton, John Stamos, Rebel Wilson, Disney Examiner, Disney Music, Ashley Sutherland-Winch]

Cute video of Darren dancing with Jodi Benson at curtain call, singing Under the Sea. 
dailydarrennews (Video, Jodi Benson and Darren dancing.  by ahhelga)

ahhelga: "Last night, at The Little Mermaid show, which was A-MAZ-ING (esp. from where I was sitting), Darren started doing a little jig at the end with Jodi Benson. It was too, too cute."

Another video of Darren dancing at curtain call to Under the Sea
dailydarrennews (Video-Darren dancing at curtain call.
lucy8675309:  "Hollywood Bowl final bows"

Video of Darren with fans at The Little Mermaid after party.  It gives you a look at how beautiful the setting was.  
dailydarrennews (Video- Darren at the after party)
"allenwaiserman:  WHEN DARREN CRISS ASKS TO TAKE A SELFIE WITH YOUR FRIEND @iolaninani. @mayrel_lani & I DIED"

Videos From @DarrenArmy:

Ok, another adorable video of Darren dancing briefly with Jodi at curtain call, singing "Under the Sea."
Source (Video)

Someone tweeted that Max Adler was at The Little Mermaid tonight (June 6).  Max has been such a wonderfully supportive friend.
Source (with Photo):  "I did meet Max Adler #littlemermaidlive #gleefans supporting @DarrenCriss tonight"

Tweet from Georgia King, who was on Ryan Murphy's The New Normal TV show.    She's been very supportive of Darren.  She went to see him in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway DCN: (photo)

Photos (June 6, The Little Mermaid)

Susan Egan "Who is this crazy-handsome prince? #AKeeper @DarrenCriss #LittleMermaidLIVE
dailydarrennews"

Note:  Susan Egan played Belle in the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast (for which she was nominated for a Tony Award and Drama Desk Award).   She also was the voice of Megara in the animated film, Hercules.    

For the June 6 performance, Susan Egan will open the night, along with Brad Kane (who was the singing voice of Aladdin in the film).   ohmydisney

dailydarrennews
fallenjunkie:
Darren and John Stamos backstage at The Little Mermaid via Ashley Sutherland-Winch’s Snapchat

dailydarrennews
brentonchase:
Darren Criss June 6, 2016 Little Mermaid final performance

Cute pic of Darren dancing with Jodi Benson

dailydarrennews
x

dailydarrennews
x

The Little Mermaid Live - June 6, 2016, 2016
Source

dailydarrennews
"@ericspiderbrady: @DarrenCriss and @thejodibenson knocked it out of the park last night!!! #LittleMermaidLIVE"

Note: This pic (above) is from Christopher D. Barnes, who played the voice of Prince Eric in the animated film, The Little Mermaid.   How very cool! 

Photos with Fans (June 6, 2016)

I don't post all of the photos of Darren with fans.  I usually pick photos that I find interesting or striking, or with nice or interesting message.

This is an exceptionally cute photo of Darren with a fan.  He looks so euphoric (of course he is, he's about to sing with the original Ariel, Jodi Benson!). 

dailydarrennews
"Kelsey Rose‏
@DarrenCriss love u boo  favorite human being"

Another photo with Christopher D. Barnes, who played the voice of Prince Eric in the animated film, The Little Mermaid.

dailydarrennews
lsm4556  "Found myself in the middle of a "Prince Eric" sandwich between Christopher Daniel Barnes and Darren Criss at the VIP party at the #hollywoodbowl  I am one lucky lady! #littlemermaidlive #littlemermaidhollywoodbowl #littlemermaid #princeeric #darrencriss #pinchme"

Very sweet message from a fan.

dugganlbc"@darrencriss #darrencriss #actor #singersongwriter #glee #thehollywoodbowl #littlemermaid #littlemermaidlive #littlemermaidhollywoodbowl #priceeric Darren Along with the star-studded cast did an amazing job at the Hollywood bowl it was a great night under the stars i'm in following Darren's career for many years it was great to see him in such a fun production ! #sotalented #verycool! "

yourenotlaura "Real life Disney Prince #darrencriss"

Cute photo of Darren. 

Source

Her second photo was funny.  :amused

X  "It happened again!  Thanks, @DarrenCriss for being so amazing.  Perfect end to my trip to L.A."

X  "This picture is actually my favorite.  We were trying to figure out if my friend took the picture.  @DarrenCriss"

dailydarrennews
tessantoniuk "This. Is Darren Criss. I am so incredibly happy I finally got to meet him. He is so talented, funny and just a generally amazing human. Thank you for tonight. #purebliss #tesrahtakesla"

rcwood123: "This incredibly talented guy made this weekend a blast @darrencriss and his whole team is amazing"

I posted this pic, to show how good-natured Darren is, humoring his fans. 

@tess_antoniuk: "Dog selfies with @DarrenCriss last night cuz he makes an adorable puppy "

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 17 times in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Very nice article about Darren taking part in The Little Mermaid in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl.  This was written by Darren himself.  I found it very nostalgic and very  heartfelt. 

I'm going to quote the whole article.  Here's the photo attached to the article.

Darren Criss in "The Little Mermaid" live at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 2016. 
Randall Michelson (Photo)

Darren Criss on His 'Dreams-Come-True Experience' Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert'

6/7/16- by Darren Criss, as told to Keith Caulfield

Darren Criss co-starred in, and narrated, Disney’s The Little Mermaid in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4 and 6. He played Prince Eric, the beau of The Little Mermaid herself, Ariel. Criss is an Emmy Award-nominated singer/songwriter who starred on Fox TV’s Glee, on Broadway in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and was the lyricist for the No. 1 Cast Album Starship. Criss wrote to Billboard about performing at the Bowl with The Little Mermaid, and why it was a “full-circle” experience for him.

Sharing a stage like the Hollywood Bowl with so many of the people that were responsible for inspiring me to be in this business in the first place, and as a result, putting me there on that stage at all -- was such an overwhelming full-circle. The original composer, producers, animators, directors, even musicians that recorded the original score, and, of course the voices of Jodi Benson (Ariel) and Chris Daniel Barnes (Prince Eric)… All of them celebrating a little movie musical they made that ended up being so much more than that -- not only for guys like me and millions of others around the world, but for the very genre itself. All these folks, commemorating the film with… me! And hanging out, taking pictures backstage! I just couldn’t believe it. The list of pinch-me moments were too many to count.

But I’ll give ya two:

There’s a great story I like to tell about how Alan Menken [the 11-time Grammy Award winner who wrote the music for Aladdin] once walked into a cafe I was playing during my senior year of college. Of course, I spotted him right as I was playing one of his songs. I was somewhere between completely ecstatic and totally mortified. Well, the man ended up putting a one hundred dollar bill in my tip jar, along with giving me the best story ever. So cut to seven years later, I’m singing one of his songs at the Hollywood freakin’ Bowl in front of 17,500 people, and as I walk off stage, there’s Alan, waving a one hundred dollar bill. You gotta be kidding me! I’ll never forget that. Especially the part where I went to take it and he pulled it away, the stinker! Now I have another great Alan Menken story. What can I say, he’s a hit maker.  (emphasis added)

And lastly, “Part Of Your World” was the first song I ever posted a cover of on YouTube in 2007. That video unexpectedly set me on a wild course that I never could have dreamed would eventually bring me to the side of the stage at the Hollywood Bowl, listening to the original voice of Ariel herself, Disney legend Jodi Benson, performing that same song live before my very damp eyes. Not to mention the fact that while all this is happening, I’m standing next to one of my all-time personal heroes, the man who composed the song, Mr. One-Hundred-Dollar-Bill himself Alan Menken. It was all incredibly emotional. As I listened to Howard Ashman’s beautiful lyrics, it really hit me in that moment that I, too, had always wanted to be “where the people are…” And wow, there they were, Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, “smiling at me.” A real-life, Disney dreams-come-true experience.

- Darren Criss On His ‘Dreams-Come-True Experience’ Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert’  | billboard

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Just a reminder:  

The date by which Darren's t-shirt--"I'm in Love with a Teenage Mermaid"--is available is June 14 (about 6 days left).  Represent.com

Lilikoiluv

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
THANK YOU for updating this thread with such dedication and sharing all of the wealth of media on The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, Poppy! bow to you  

Best of all though, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts about the concert you saw!  I'm so happy that you were able to experience it live and that you and your husband enjoyed the concert!  You had sooo many great thoughts and I have so much I would like to say, but I can't get the "multiple quotes" icon to work for me, and so forgive my haphazard quoting "technique". lol

There is one small (constructive) criticism I would say about the performance.   I would say that I would have liked to have him lose the guitar while he sang this song.   And the reason why I say this, is that for Darren, he conveys so much in his body language.    Because Darren was playing the guitar, I felt that he wasn't able to use his upper body as much, because Darren conveys a lot of emotion from his character by the way he holds himself (his posture), and in the movement of his arms and hands.

So that's just one thing.  As for his vocal performance, I loved it!   Many times when I see Darren perform (via someone videotaping a performance), I can hear how much he has grown vocally.   In this performance, I could hear and admire how much Darren's vocal control has improved, because it really has.  I really thought Darren did a wonderful job (as my husband can attest to, due to the huge smile on my face during the entire song performance.   )   It was truly a joy for me to see and hear him perform this lovely song live.   I could hear the emotion in his voice, and to me, emotion is almost always the most important part of a song performance (for both a concert, and for a musical performance during a theater production).   hitfix reviewed the June 3 performance, and I agree with that reviewer that Darren delivered a passionate performance.  I also agree with another reviewer of the June 3 perfomance from Variety.com that Darren's performance of "Her Voice" added depth and understanding of the emotional state of Prince Eric, in terms of how deeply he was affected by Ariel's voice during his moment of need.   His tone was beautiful.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that wished he had performed "Her Voice" sans his guitar. *gasps at the blasphemy of what I just said* lol.  Darren's voice sounded rich and lovely, and I liked the pop-like arrangement. He is just so expressive when he sings in character and I so wish we could have seen him add his wonderful physicality.

Case in point, all of those wonderful photos of Darren singing "If Only" in character you posted above. The entire package of his singing added to his facial expressions and movements truly encompasses the character's emotions and was quite a moving moment .

I was totally blown away by “if Only”--especially the night you were there, Poppy.  NGL, Sara, Darren Titus, and Norm’s gorgeous rendition had me in tears with the aching/longing of each character and they all just sounded so incredibly gorgeous together.  I can only imagine how incredible they sounded live.
The way they showed the performers side-by-side on the screen on Saturday was just wonderful and beautifully enhanced the impact of the song. Here’s the best video I’ve seen so far of this amazing performance, which I don’t think I”ve seen posted yet (my apologies if I'm mistaken).  It’s not my video and all credit and appreciation goes to the person that posted this video and captured this performance so wonderfully.

The power of music in the hands of gifted musicians and performers. Love it. 
Do you think he may have decided to play his guitar as kind of an unconscious sort of "security blanket"? He had mentioned how difficult the song is even with the new arrangement, perhaps he felt a bit more comfortable behind the guitar?  I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. Anyway, if that was the case, he needn't have been, because he was incredible throughout "If Only"--standing next to Broadway Vet Norm Lewis' booming baritone no less!  

Here's another video of most of the songs from Saturday Night. I'm disappointed that this person missed my fave parts though--Alan Menken's set, "If Only",and "Part of Your World Reprise" BUT I loved the grand live orchestral opening over the Disney logo and also the beginning shows the singers synced to the film footage, and also the fireworks over the end credits.

Poppy, I love that each time you hear Darren live you can see the growth and development in his voice.  He definitely has been training and taking care of his voice.  I can hear it in the recordings, so I can only imagine how it must shine live.  I also have to smile at how your husband enjoyed himself and I loved hearing his unbiased comments about the concert and especially Darren. 
This is getting a bit long, so I'll continue later, I just wanted to add a bit about this lovely article that you posted:

Very nice article about Darren taking part in The Little Mermaid in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

Darren Criss on His 'Dreams-Come-True Experience' Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert'

There’s a great story I like to tell about how Alan Menken [the 11-time Grammy Award winner who wrote the music for Aladdin] once walked into a cafe I was playing during my senior year of college. Of course, I spotted him right as I was playing one of his songs. I was somewhere between completely ecstatic and totally mortified. Well, the man ended up putting a one hundred dollar bill in my tip jar, along with giving me the best story ever. So cut to seven years later, I’m singing one of his songs at the Hollywood freakin’ Bowl in front of 17,500 people, and as I walk off stage, there’s Alan, waving a one hundred dollar bill. You gotta be kidding me! I’ll never forget that. Especially the part where I went to take it and he pulled it away, the stinker! Now I have another great Alan Menken story. What can I say, he’s a hit maker.

- Darren Criss On His ‘Dreams-Come-True Experience’ Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert’  | billboard

Love, LOVE this article so much. I'm so thankful that Billboard gave Darren a chance to share part of his "Dreams Come True" experiences.
If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend that everyone read the entire article at the link Poppy posted above.  Darren shares another memory from the concert about having a moment while listening to Jodi Benson sing "Part of Your World" from the wings (surrounded by special people). The two moments he described really touched me and made me so very happy for him. Full-circle moments indeed. That is your life, Darren Criss!  :amused

ETA:  That's what I get for walking away from my incomplete post to go to dinner. too scary  
The ever-efficient Poppy has already posted the entire article for our viewing pleasure!
Thanks, Poppy!  :hug

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Lilikoiluv! :hello

Lilikoiluv wrote:Best of all though, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts about the concert you saw! 
Aw, you're welcome. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:I'm so happy that you were able to experience it live and that you and your husband enjoyed the concert!

Thanks Lilikoiluv!   And thank you so much for your comments and your videos!   I enjoy sharing my experiences of seeing Darren at his events.  I wish that all his fans were able to see him.  I'm so glad that people were able to share their pics and their videos with others. 

Yes, I agree that Darren's voice sounded rich and lovely, and I liked the pop-like arrangement.   The arrangement worked well with his singing voice.  :happy face

ha!  Your comments made me smile.  I do feel like I committed blasphemy.  :amused :apology   Darren's physicality is amazing.    In Hedwig and the Angry Inch for example, the way he used his body language was so effective in supporting his facial expressions and his singing voice.     It's interesting that I wasn't even thinking about his physicality at all when he started singing "Her Voice."   I was very much enjoying the song performance, with a big old smile on my face.  Then near the tail end of "Her Voice," Darren stopped playing his guitar.   You can see in the video below, around point 3:07, he stops playing his guitar.  And then it struck me.  All of a sudden.   I was drawn into the song performance in a significant way. 

I agree with what you said about how Darren used his physicality in "If Only," and combined with his facial expressions and the emotion in his voice, I really felt  Prince Eric's emotions of feeling so torn and conflicted.   It was, as you said, moving and beautiful (as were the performances of Sara, Tituss, and Norm).

As for why Darren decided to use his guitar, just guessing of course, that although he must have been overjoyed to have been asked to play Prince Eric and sing these two beautiful songs connected to a story he has loved for so long, it must have been a little (very?) intimidating to work with one of long-time idols and to perform not just with Sara Bareilles, an amazing vocalist, but also with two very strong, well-trained, experienced Broadway performers in  Tituss and Norm (and Norm's voice is the epitome of a powerful, booming, majestic Broadway voice), and in a large venue, the Hollywood Bowl, with a capacity of 17,000.  I think Darren does feel very comfortable with performing with musical instruments, whether it's a piano or a guitar.   Another guess is that having Prince Eric playing a guitar adds to the romantic notion of Prince Eric, you know, as the dreamboat who can serenade with music and with his voice.  It seemed some of those folks from the media sites that wrote about Darren's performance seemed quite taken with Darren's playing the guitar as he sang this romantic song. 

I do realize that this is a matter of perspective.  I mentioned this issue to my husband (here I go again, talking about his views of Darren's performance.  shhh.  I'll sneak in a few of his words).   My husband felt that Darren did equally well in both songs in terms of conveying the emotions of the character.    You and I agree on this, but I think there's room for different views on this issue.   :happy face

It's getting late, so I will continue tomorrow.  :hello

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum