Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Lilikoiluv,

Back to finish off my thoughts.  :happy face

@Lilikoiluv wrote:I was totally blown away by “if Only”--especially the night you were there, Poppy.  NGL, Sara, Darren Titus, and Norm’s gorgeous rendition had me in tears with the aching/longing of each character and they all just sounded so incredibly gorgeous together.  I can only imagine how incredible they sounded live.

I agree!  I loved that performance so much.   It was gorgeous.  Like you said, you could feel the emotions of all the characters through the actors/singers.  For Ariel, I felt the longing and wistfulness to be able to share with Prince Eric how she feels about  him.  For Prince Eric, I felt how conflicted he was over growing to  love this Ariel who was without a voice, versus searching for the woman with the beautiful voice who he connects with being fortunate to be alive.  For Sebastian, who has become so close to Ariel, he feels protective of her, wishing he could make her dream to be with Prince Eric come true.  And for King Triton, he feels deeply sad for the loss of his daughter and he feels regret for not recognizing her feelings. 

And what a brilliant song that Alan Menken and Glenn Slater created, with these four wonderful performers singing together giving it life.  

@Lilikoiluv wrote:The way they showed the performers side-by-side on the screen on Saturday was just wonderful and beautifully enhanced the impact of the song. Here’s the best video I’ve seen so far of this amazing performance, which I don’t think I”ve seen posted yet (my apologies if I'm mistaken).  It’s not my video and all credit and appreciation goes to the person that posted this video and captured this performance so wonderfully.

That was a very well recorded video, Lilikoiluv!   applause Thank you for sharing!  I will add it to my post of the  videos of the June 4-performances.   I'm so glad you mentioned how they placed images of Darren and Sara side-by-side on the big screen, even though they were standing apart.   It really added to the emotion, when you saw them together on the big screen. 

@Lilikoiluv wrote:Here's another video of most of the songs from Saturday Night. I'm disappointed that this person missed my fave parts though--Alan Menken's set, "If Only",and "Part of Your World Reprise" BUT I loved the grand live orchestral opening over the Disney logo and also the beginning shows the singers synced to the film footage, and also the fireworks over the end credits.

And thank you again for that lovely video, with almost all of the performances and moments of the evening!   So nice to have it in one video!   thumbs up   I'll add it too to my post of the June 4 performances.    And thank you for mentioning how  the orchestra played the Disney theme song simultaneously with the image of Disney castle appearing on screen.    First of all, it was wonderful seeing Darren coming on stage, clearly so happy to be there.   And then the evening kept on delivering great moments.  Real fireworks were going off at the same time we saw the fireworks behind the castle on the screen.   This moment starts around 1:08 in the video that Lilikoiluv found (see above).  It was one of THE best moments of the night!!! My husband and I were beaming with joy!   He commented that he never heard a live orchestra play the Disney theme song, and it was that much more poignant to see the Disney castle appear on the big screen while the orchestra played the Disney theme song.    When I looked over to my husband, he looked like a little kid, with this big grin on his face.   One of the many magical moments of the evening! 

@Lilikoiluv wrote:Poppy, I love that each time you hear Darren live you can see the growth and development in his voice.  He definitely has been training and taking care of his voice.  I can hear it in the recordings, so I can only imagine how it must shine live.  I also have to smile at how your husband enjoyed himself and I loved hearing his unbiased comments about the concert and especially Darren.

I am so proud of Darren for working on his voice.   I hope he continues to do this, because I'm sure many serious vocalists make sure to continue their training.    Aw, thanks for the nice comment about my husband's remarks (um, that I deleted).   He gets a little shy about sharing his thoughts with the fandom.    This is the second time he has seen Darren perform (the first was at the concert with Seth Rudetsky in October 2015, where we met Megan/Minttea in SF).   My husband came away having a better sense of how down-to-earth, enthusiastic and positive Darren is, just a better sense of who Darren the person is, because of this evening.    He said that Darren seems like a really nice guy and he thought Darren did very well in his performances.  :happy face

@Lilikoiluv wrote:Love, LOVE this article so much. I'm so thankful that Billboard gave Darren a chance to share part of his "Dreams Come True" experiences.
If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend that everyone read the entire article at the link Poppy posted above.  Darren shares another memory from the concert about having a moment while listening to Jodi Benson sing "Part of Your World" from the wings (surrounded by special people). The two moments he described really touched me and made me so very happy for him. Full-circle moments indeed. That is your life, Darren Criss!  

That article must mean so much to Darren.  Billboard, what a wonderful idea, to have Darren relay his feelings and thoughts of how much it meant to him to be able to be able to be a part of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl!   How surreal it must have felt to Darren, to listen to the original Ariel sing "Part of Your World" while he stood in the wings, with Alan Menken himself, one of Darren's idols, standing nearby.  How incredible to have these "full circle" moments!    He's had these The Little Mermaid full circle moments.  And he had the Hedwig and the Angry Inch full circle moments too, because he loved the story/film and its music since he was in high school.  And Lilikoiluv, you will see him live out the Hedwig full-circle moment soon!  :love

Thanks so much for your comments, Lilikoiluv.  I'm so glad that I have Lin, Jeremy, and you, Lilikoiluv, supporting this little forum for the lovely, kind, and talented Darren Criss.  Thank you all!

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

A couple of pics of Darren with fans at The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl

@NickPitera:  @DarrenCriss you are amazing, and the nicest of people!! Congrats on an amazing show #LittleMermaidLIVE #Eric

@DeveryHolmes: Incredible night at the @HollywoodBowl getting to see the amazing @DarrenCriss perform #LIttleMermaid

Another photo with Christopher D. Barnes, who played the voice of Prince Eric in the animated film, The Little Mermaid.

@ericspiderbrady: The delightful and talented @DarrenCriss Such a great job the other night!!! The legacy is in good hands!

Cute fan video:
dailydarrennews

sarah chabluk happy national bestfriend day @darrencriss!!!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

tracihines "I’ve always said my #1 celeb casting for Prince Eric IRL was @darrencriss  My pop-music loving heart was very happy w/his contemporary take on the Eric TLM Broadway songs. He was also lovely to meet IRL- thanks for taking the time to let me fangirl a bit Darren!  You killed it at #LittleMermaidLIVE! #mermaid #littlemermaid #darrencriss #princeeric #music #littlemermaidmusic #tlm #disney #latergram"

Note:  Traci Hines is a Fantasy-Pop Singer/Songwriter.   She has a video singing Part of Your World.  :happy face

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Swoon, how gorgeous is he?? Love his look lately. And seriously, he is like the spitting image of Prince Eric! It's so funny how fandom have always wanted him as Prince Eric and now it has actually come to be! hahahaha! Loved your review Poppy, especially how he got his emotions across in the song, I really think that is one of his greatest strengths. So glad you got tix and enjoyed the evening. Listened to some of the vids and he does sound great. As for losing the guitar....nah, it's Darren! he probably came out of the womb strapped to a guitar! tongue

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
dusty wrote:
Swoon, how gorgeous is he?? Love his look lately. And seriously, he is like the spitting image of Prince Eric! It's so funny how fandom have always wanted him as Prince Eric and now it has actually come to be!

I do like how his hair is longer in the front and falls on his forehead.  Very hipster.   The Prince Eric outfit really agreed with Darren, a very striking look. 

Some of the fandom has been wanting him to play a Disney prince for so long.    Dreams do come true, . . . .when you wish upon a star.     star star star    (I'm sure I got the words completely in the wrong order.   :amused)

These gifs are appropriate:  Darren in his bedroom singing "Part of Your World" in 2007.   And then, fast forward to 2016. :happy face

2007 ⟶ 2016
hedwig-darren:

To make it even more poignant, fast forward to June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 at the Hollywood Bowl, The Little Mermaid in Concert Live.

dreamingdc:
Darren Criss as Prince Eric singing “Her Voice” in The Little Mermaid in Concert Live to Film at Hollywood Bowl 06.03.2016

A nice fan edit:

mselphaba-evangeline
"Excuse me …
*Screams *
I’m FINE"

dusty wrote:hahahaha! Loved your review Poppy, especially how he got his emotions across in the song, I really think that is one of his greatest strengths. So glad you got tix and enjoyed the evening. Listened to some of the vids and he does sound great.
Thank you, dusty.  I agree, Darren's ability to infuse his voice and his song performances with emotion is one of his greatest strengths.  I think that is something that seems hard to teach to vocalists.  Some singers just seem to be able to do it so well, and Darren is one of them.    Aw, thank you.  I am very fortunate that The Little Mermaid came to L.A..   And I agree, he sounded wonderful.  Beautiful tone, and great emotion.

dusty wrote:As for losing the guitar....nah, it's Darren! he probably came out of the womb strapped to a guitar! tongue

ha!   So funny.  Cute! :biggrin.png:  I see your point.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

jodi.benson Sending a HUGE thank you and much gratitude to all of the amazing individuals that made #littlemermaidlivea success! Richard Kraft @kraft.richard & Laura Engel #lauraengel Executive Producers from Kraft -Engel Management & from CAMI Columbia Artists Management @columbia_artists Tim Fox, Alison Ahart Williams and Erica Noguchi & @Disney. It was such an honor to share the @hollywoodbowlstage with @sarabareilles @darrencriss @rebelwilson @titusssawthis @thenormlewis @alanmenken​ @johnstamos #joshcolley #MichaelKosarin Thank you so much for this “once in a lifetime” magical weekend of concerts! All my love & God bless, Jodi

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Love that Part of your world / Prince Eric gif set Poppy! funny how things happen isn't it?

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
dusty wrote:Love that Part of your world / Prince Eric gif set Poppy! funny how things happen isn't it?

He's lived out some of dreams.  Working with Alan Menken, singing in a production of one of his favorite Disney animated films, singing with the original Ariel, Jodi Benson, performing the music of a film that he has connected with since he was a teen (Hedwig and the Angry Inch), singing a duet with Kermit . . . How wonderful is that?   (That last dream made me smile; it's so Darren.)   And even though being able to perform in musical theater and on Broadway were not his dreams, he's done that as well.    Am very happy for him.  ❤

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Aw, I love this sweet message from Jodi Benson, talking about Darren's strong character (as well as his talent):  "Darren is a true gentleman and professional and it was a blessing to work with him.    Young Hollywood gets a hard time sometimes but I can tell you that this young star will have in incredibly bright future ahead of him!"     Also love her kind comments about Darren's parents.  

jodi.benson #tbt It was such an honor and a privilege to meet the kind, gracious & loving parents of @darrencriss  ❤ Darren is a true gentleman and professional and it was a blessing to work with him. Young Hollywood gets a hard time sometimes but I can tell you that this young star will have in incredibly bright future ahead of him!  #littlemermaidlive #princeeric #family #dreambigprincess

Look at Darren in the background of the first pic.   Looks like he just had taken, or is about to take a pic of his mom talking to Jodi.  :happy face   Look how pleased he looks.

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
@Poppy wrote:

I think the background on the second picture is the ballroom from The Beauty and the Beast.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Jeremy wrote:I think the background on the second picture is the ballroom from The Beauty and the Beast.

You have a good eye for detail, Jeremy.  Great catch!

From @DarrenArmy:

Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl from USC Media (and they used a photo of Darren as the photo at the top of the article.  :happy face)

"The Little Mermaid" Finds a New Voice at the Hollywood Bowl

Photo by Randall Michelson Photography.

A very nice quote:

Review wrote:Since Darren Criss captured national attention as Blaine on "Glee," he has seem destined to portray a Disney prince. His swath of black hair, ineffable charm, and winning voice make him a perfect fit for Menken melodies and fairy-tales. His performance was one of the best of the night, bringing his own swoon-worthy pop arrangement of Eric's tune from the Broadway musical, "Her Voice," to the stage. With his guitar slung over his shoulder and his Eric costume replete with red sash and black boots, Criss made us believe that Prince Eric had simply walked off the screen to join us for the evening.

Another quote:

Review wrote:The presentation included several songs from the recent Broadway adaptation of "The Little Mermaid," allowing characters like Flounder, Prince Eric, and King Triton to express themselves through song. A great second-act quartet "If Only" highlighted the varied and rich vocal talents of the cast, while also emphasizing how naturally these characters translate to the Broadway medium.

USC Annenberg Media

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
@*Jeremy* wrote:
@Poppy wrote:

I think the background on the second picture is the ballroom from The Beauty and the Beast.

It does! Gosh, you've got a good eye!

Aw, how cute is he in the background of that first pic?

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
@Poppy wrote:
Jeremy wrote:I think the background on the second picture is the ballroom from The Beauty and the Beast.

You have a good eye for detail, Jeremy.  Great catch!

From @DarrenArmy:

Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl from USC Media (and they used a photo of Darren as the photo at the top of the article.  :happy face)

"The Little Mermaid" Finds a New Voice at the Hollywood Bowl

Photo by Randall Michelson Photography.

A very nice quote:

Review wrote:Since Darren Criss captured national attention as Blaine on "Glee," he has seem destined to portray a Disney prince. His swath of black hair, ineffable charm, and winning voice make him a perfect fit for Menken melodies and fairy-tales. His performance was one of the best of the night, bringing his own swoon-worthy pop arrangement of Eric's tune from the Broadway musical, "Her Voice," to the stage. With his guitar slung over his shoulder and his Eric costume replete with red sash and black boots, Criss made us believe that Prince Eric had simply walked off the screen to join us for the evening.

Another quote:

Review wrote:The presentation included several songs from the recent Broadway adaptation of "The Little Mermaid," allowing characters like Flounder, Prince Eric, and King Triton to express themselves through song. A great second-act quartet "If Only" highlighted the varied and rich vocal talents of the cast, while also emphasizing how naturally these characters translate to the Broadway medium.

USC Annenberg Media

Great quotes! Destined to play a Disney Prince indeed. :big grin

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum