Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Thread to Talk About TV Shows

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1default General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:19 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Please feel free to post about TV Shows in general.   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" or use the "Quick Reply Box," and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Off-Topic,", please let me know. 

2default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I think about watching this. Season 1 has started yesterday and there are only 8 episodes in that season. It's based on 13 books that already have been adapted in a movie. 

What do you think ?

3default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I heard about the books and the movie.  Let me watch a couple of episodes to see if I connect with the show.  Thanks for the suggestion, Jeremy.  

Another show that a friend recommended is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency that is co-produced by BBC America and Netflix.   The first season contained 8 episodes, and they were wild and crazy, in a fun way.   It stars Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett.  

What is interesting is that after I started watching it, I realized that Max Landis wrote the show.  Max Landis had high praise for Darren after he saw him in the Hedwig tour on opening night at the Pantages Theatre (L.A.). 

Here is what Max tweeted:

He also said this:

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Darren Criss Brings 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' to L.A. for Opening Night at Pantages Theatre

11/3/2016 
By Maureen Lee Lenker

Others reflected on what makes Criss such a unique talent and bright light of the stage. "Darren just has this incredible magnetism that I think stems from him being a very clever guy," said writer/producer Max Landis. "He has this je ne sais quoi, where he can pull funny and interesting out of a hat instantaneously ... and make lines said one hundred times by a hundred actors feel new and spontaneous."

4default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:41 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I have just watched the trailer of the TV show you mention and it seems to be something I could love but I'm not sure that I have the time to watch everything excited
Anyway, thank you for the suggestion :happy face

5default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
You're welcome.  :happy face

6default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I've watched the first episode of this new show. It's based on the Archie comics (I don't know what it is but it seems to be famous in the US) and it's a mystery teen series about a murder in a small town.

I wonder if someone here has watched it or plans to do so :happy face

7default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for posting the trailer.  I'm not sure yet if I'll be watching.    :talking   But maybe someone else here will watch?

8default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:13 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
I'm looking forward to the 100 starting again. It hasn't been given a UK start date yet, but I think it starts in the US next week.

Other than that I'm watching Taboo at the moment. A dark, goth, mystic political drama with tom hardy. It's brilliant!

9default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I remember that  both Lin and you are fans of The 100.   Can you tell us a little something about Taboo?  Maybe someone else may be interested after you describe it to us?   I'm glad you like that show so much, dusty!  :happy face

10default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:37 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Taboo is a political drama set in the 18th century. Tom Hardy is an adventurer of questionable reputation who has spent a lot of time in Africa and he returns to London after his father dies. He has inherited a piece of land just outside of America and it is of strategic interest to both the Americans and the Brits who both try to get it of him with various methods including trying to kill him. There is political tension between the Brits and the Americans and war might break out at any point. Hardy's character's mother was native American and there are lots of mystical elements in it from both native American and African folklore. It's pretty dark and gritty. It's a slow burn, but intriguing, plus Hardy appears half naked in it a lot which is always a plus in my book! :laughing  Gosh, he's such a hot, broody menace! It's got some great actors in it, including some Game of Thrones actors like the superb Jonathan Pryce (the High Sparrow) and Oona Chaplin (Robb Stark's wife). Interesting fact, she's Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter!

11default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks so much for the very detailed description, dusty!  Well done!  thumbs up

12default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:44 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I've watched the ten first episodes of Riverdale (I've posted the trailer above) and it's my favourite show of the moment. If someone doesn't know what to watch right now or this summer, I recommend you to give it a try (if you like small-town mystery murders, high school drama and onirism) :happy face

13default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the recommendation, Jeremy.  :happy face

14default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:27 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Riverdale sounds good Jeremy. I'll have to see if it is on over here.

The 100 has started again in the UK. Really enjoying it. Anyone else watching it?

15default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lin used to watch The 100.  Not sure if she still is.  :happy face

16default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sat May 13, 2017 8:13 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I plan to watch the Eurovision tonight. I don't know if someone here plans to do the same...

17default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
That is a talent show or a singing contest show?

18default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun May 14, 2017 1:40 pm

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
It's a singing contest show between 40 countries (generally, European countries). It is watched by more than 200 millions people in the world and it has been created in the 50's to promote peace in Europe. It often celebrates diversity (in the 90's, a transgender won the contest) and there are always a few weird performances (a few years ago, the winners were guys dressed as ugly monsters).

Some of my favourite performances :

19default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun May 14, 2017 11:42 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Sounds wonderful!  Thank you, Jeremy.  :happy face

20default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Does anyone watch Doctor Who? I haven't watched in a few years, but it's great to hear that the next Doctor is going to be a woman. I might be curious enough to start catching up.

21default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Oh that is really great news!  Thanks for sharing, Lin.  I don't really know why I never really took to the series.  I saw a few episodes with the last actor.  I think I'll be willing to give it another try, given this new development.  I'll have to check where I can watch it.

22default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I've never watched Doctor Who (I just have watched a few Torchwood episodes and I think it's a spinoff) but I may give it a try. I've recently told myself that it has been a while since I've watched a British TV show.

23default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 pm

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I've recently wachted the first season of Stranger things (there are only 8 episodes) and I loved it. 

I also watch the "Freak Show" season of American Horror Story and, so far, I find the story really beautiful. It's about how freaks were treated in the 50's and there are some similiarities with how different people are treated today. 

And, actually, it's not really scary, imo. At least, not more than Twin Peaks.

24default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I enjoyed watching Stranger Things too, but the main reason was because I enjoyed the relationships between the kids (not so much because of the mystery of the other dimension with that ghastly creature).

Jeremy wrote:I also watch the "Freak Show" season of American Horror Story and, so far, I find the story really beautiful. It's about how freaks were treated in the 50's and there are some similiarities with how different people are treated today. 

And, actually, it's not really scary, imo. At least, not more than Twin Peaks.

Wow, that's interesting.  The Elephant Man film (with John Hurt) really touched me.  I tend to relate to this issue too.  But as you know, . . .  I am super chicken/easily frightened.  Even the previews for AHS scare me.  :shocked   haha!  And I can barely watch Stranger Things.  I scare my poor husband so much because I will yelp or jump when something surprises me when I'm watching the show.

25default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:51 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
I also loved the interactions between the kids. Do you plan to watch the new season ?

I've seen Elephant man too. I am not an animal ! :cry

26default Re: General Thread to Talk About TV Shows on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Yup, I will watch Stranger Things' next season (unless it gets too scary  :big grin ). 

What an iconic statement and message.  sad face broken heart

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum