Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General News You Want to Talk About

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

121default Re: General News You Want to Talk About on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Media is saying that within one hour from now (so around 10:00 pm PT), it will be known whether the Senate was able to pass the "skinny repeal" bill.  I have a bad feeling.

Until then, I just want to say how horrified I am, how saddened and angry I am, that Trump unilaterally announced that transgender individuals who are in the military will no longer be able to serve.  It is an absolute injustice that the men and women who have risked their lives and sacrificed so much for their country should be treated so horribly, so carelessly. 

CNN wrote:
US Joint Chiefs blindsided by Trump's transgender ban

July 27, 2017

The Joint Chiefs of Staff, including chairman General Joseph Dunford, were not aware President Donald Trump planned to tweet a ban on transgender service members, three US defense officials told CNN -- the latest indication that top military leaders across all four service branches were blindsided by the President's announcement.

For now, Dunford has informed service members that there will be "no modifications to the current policy until the President's direction has been received by the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary has issued implementation guidelines."

"In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect," Dunford wrote in a memo to the military that was obtained by CNN. "As importantly, given the current fight and the challenges we face, we will all remain focused on accomplishing our assigned missions."

[. . .]

Trump announced Wednesday that transgender individuals would no longer be allowed to enlist or serve in the military.

"After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military," Trump said in a series of tweets. "Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail."

His tweets came less than a month into the six-month delay set by Defense Secretary James Mattis to review the US military's policy on transgender service members.

[. . . ]

[Senator John McCain stated:] "I know what Mattis said, that he wanted to complete the study, and he was surprised," added McCain, who chairs the armed services committee.

But while Trump's tweet states that he consulted with his generals and military experts ahead of making the announcement, US defense officials have indicated that many of the top brass were caught off guard by the policy change.

One of the heads of the military branches was informed by a staffer of the President's tweets on transgender policy and had no idea it was coming, an official said.

Adding to the confusion is that Trump's decision came without a plan in place to implement it.

[. . .  ]

A major issue now is whether currently serving members will be discharged and whether they will receive an honorable discharge so they can continue to receive whatever medical and retiree benefits they are entitled to based on their years of service, a defense official said.

122default Re: General News You Want to Talk About on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I am amazed.  The Republican Senators failed to pass their "skinny" repeal bill.   Three Republican Senators voted "no"--they had the courage to stand up against their own Republican Party to do what is the right thing to do for the American people.  Thank you, John McCain, Susan Collins, and Lisa Murkowski--for taking your role as the representatives of your constituents to heart, and not blindly representing your party, but instead representing the needs of, and listening to the voices of, the people of your states. heart heart heart

123default Re: General News You Want to Talk About on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I guess the fight for protecting the Affordable Care Act ("ACA," also known as "Obamacare") is not over.

First, Trump is threatening to sabotage the ACA by refusing to do steps that are necessary in order for the ACA to succeed. 

New York Times wrote:
[Opinion by the Editorial Board]

Why Obamacare Is Still in Peril

July 28, 2017

Though one threat has been put off, the A.C.A. is far from safe. President Trump and his health and human services secretary, Tom Price, have made it their mission to undermine the law. On Friday, the president again threatened to let Obamacare “implode” in order to make a deal. And Mr. Price, who worked closely with his former colleagues in Congress to devise repeal proposals, has been spreading lies about the law and making changes that would reduce benefits and lead to fewer people signing up for coverage.

3 Republicans and 48 Democrats let the American people down. As I said from the beginning, let ObamaCare implode, then deal. Watch!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 28, 2017

It would be foolish to underestimate the administration, which has the power to do substantial damage. The administration could stop making subsidy payments to insurance companies authorized by the A.C.A. to help reduce deductibles for lower-income people. And it could stop enforcing the penalty for people who do not buy insurance, which would result in fewer young and healthy people signing up, leading insurers to stop offering policies in some parts of the country.

As evidence that the Trump administration will do all that they can to sabotage the ACA, Trump tweeted today:

If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 29, 2017

In other words, he is threatening to stop paying subsidies to the insurance companies that help make health care affordable to persons with low incomes.

Slate wrote:
Trump Lashes Out, Threatens to Cut Health Care Subsidies for Poor and Lawmakers

July 29, 2017

An evidently frustrated President Donald Trump went on another signature tweetstorm Saturday, threatening to end federal subsidies for health insurance that benefits both the poorest Americans and members of Congress.

If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 29, 2017

A move of this nature would inject chaos into the insurance markets
considering that so many low-income (and even moderate-income) people depend on the subsidies to be able to afford health care.

[. . . ]

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer accused the president of “playing politics with people’s lives and health care.”

Secondly, it looks like the ACA is threatened because the Republican Senate is focusing on a new health care bill.

Politico wrote:
As Trump steams, Senate Republicans consider new repeal effort

July 29, 2017

Senate Republicans’ party-line attempts to repeal Obamacare aren’t dead just yet — at least not if President Donald Trump has anything to say about it.

Trump, increasingly impatient with the long-stalled repeal effort, met with three Senate Republicans about a new plan to roll back the health care law on Friday, signaling some lawmakers — as well as the president — are not ready to ditch their seven-year campaign promise.

The group is trying to write legislation that could get 50 Republican votes, according to multiple administration and Capitol Hill sources. The proposal from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) would block grant federal health care funding to the states and keep much of Obamacare’s tax regime. White House officials also met with House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) to brainstorm how to make the idea palatable to conservatives, according to two sources familiar with the meeting.

[. . . ]

In theory, the Senate could bring back up their party line budget “reconciliation” effort to gut Obamacare as soon as next week. Graham’s bill has not been scored by the Congressional Budget Office and did not receive a test vote this week. It currently has a small group of supporters and will likely need major work to pass the Senate, like language defunding Planned Parenthood which would likely alienate a pair of moderate senators.

[. . . ]

“We’re going to regroup and stay focused,” Meadows said Friday. “I’m still optimistic that we will have another motion to proceed, and ultimately put something on the president’s desk.”

But the GOP would have to take another painful procedural vote to open debate, and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is expected to remain in Arizona for cancer treatment until the end of the August recess.

[. . . ]

Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska would have to reverse course on opening debate on the bill for things to move forward in August without McCain.

I'm just hoping that these two Republican women will stand their ground and follow their conscience.  But I just don't know.

So for now, it's wait and see what the Republican Senate does next.  But people need to be ready to fight back by making their voices heard if the Republican Senate makes another effort to pass another repeal and replace bill.

124default Re: General News You Want to Talk About on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
So the Senate went on their recess, and they will not return until after Labor Day (September 4, 2017).  I haven't heard any more news about Senator Lindsey Graham's health care proposal, so hopefully that is not proceeding.  I have heard on the news, discussions about the possibility of bipartisan (shocking!) efforts in the House of Representatives to pass a bill to stabilize the insurance markets by making sure federal subsidies are paid to insurance companies (to help low-income persons under the Affordable Care Act).  Cross fingers!  Nothing will happen until the August recess is over.

125default Re: General News You Want to Talk About Yesterday at 12:56 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I've been busy dealing with my parent's health care issues, but watching on the TV over the weekend, seeing all those neo-Nazi's and white supremacists with their torches, I have to say it struck fear and disgust in my heart as a person of color.  I can only imagine how it felt to people in other communities, especially the African-American community, the Jewish-American community, and LGBTQ community.  Then to see the white supremacists and neo-Nazis attacking people with weapons, and that man using his car to mow down people and hearing of the death of Heather Heyer, it just horrified and saddened me deeply. 

To watch Trump ranting and raving today, defending the fascists and white supremacists, it just made me so sad.  Trump already has been waging a war against immigrants and people of the Muslim faith.  But with this display today of how Trump really feels about the racists of our country, who he claims merely are trying to preserve their "culture and heritage" (translation: preserve a time in American history when white supremacy and oppression of everyone else was widely accepted as a right).   Is our country going to be ok.  Are people who live in the U.S.  going to be safe, are they going to be ok?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum