Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion of Darren's Album

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

31default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I wonder now if the haircut was Darren's way of letting us know that the "time has come" to announce another big mile stone in his life:  His debut album!

What do you guys think?

32default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
celebrate celebrate celebrate
I would normally be skeptical about the wording and whether it really means that he's releasing anything anytime soon, but he's been dropping some other hints recently, so I'm inclined to believe it's really happening this time. :fingers crossed

Poppy wrote:I was reluctant to buy tickets. I just spent some $ on two Hedwig shows.  But it kept eating at me.  And finally, I called my husband and the sweetie pie urged me to buy tickets.  But that's it!  I'm all spent out for the next 2 years!  (Except of course for buying the album!)    DUSTY, I'M GOING TO SEE DARREN IN SF ON NOVEMBER 30!! :very happy clapping hands
YAY POPPY!!  celebration dance! It seems to be a pretty small venue, so it's good to know that we're going to have our very own spy there!   :cheeky thumbs up

33default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:17 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I agree that he's been dropping hints of something was about to happen, Lin!  His haircut was one of them!
Lin wrote:
YAY POPPY!!   It seems to be a pretty small venue, so it's good to know that we're going to have our very own spy there!  

I'm so fortunate to go, Lin.  I wish I could bring all of you!  I can't promise I will record anything.  Sorry, but I'm awful at doing things like that.  But I will report back to the best of my abilities!

34default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:I'm so fortunate to go, Lin.  I wish I could bring all of you!  I can't promise I will record anything.  Sorry, but I'm awful at doing things like that.  But I will report back to the best of my abilities!
Shhh, Poppy. You know you want to:

No, I understand! I'm just glad you get to go and I'm looking forward to reading your report.

35default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
haha! 

Lin wrote:

No, I understand! I'm just glad you get to go and I'm looking forward to reading your report.

Lin, you are hilarious!   Thanks for understanding.  :happy face  Hopefully, there will be others who are more skilled in the art of being sneaky, who will post audios.  :fingers crossed

36default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
It's interesting that there is no big announcement.   I wonder why that is.  He's deciding to be low-key about this and the announcement is via the news about his performance at Feinstein's at the Nikko. 

Then again, Darren does like to lay low when it comes to announcements.   He's modest in that way.  :happy face

37default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:26 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From DarrenCrissArmy:

BroadwayWorld.com wrote:
HEDWIG's Darren Criss Will Make Feinstein's at the Nikko Debut This Fall

October 18, 2016

38default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
So I saw this on dailydarrennews:

redheadgleek wrote:FYI: somebody in line asked him about this and he seemed very shocked about the “upcoming album.” Both he and his manager (i think that’s who she is) both denied that there was a new album and stated that would be clarifying this with the venue.

-redheadgleek
via dailydarrennews

I hope this is not true.  I just spoke on the phone with the general manager of the club (Feinstein's at Nikko), and he told me that Darren's camp told their club that Darren would be playing a selection of songs from his upcoming album, and that the club would not have had that info in their press release if it was not given to them by Darren's camp.  He said he had no new info.   It is confusing what this fan is reporting Darren said to her/him.  But for now, I am going to assume that the press release is correct, until I hear confirmation from more sources.

Ok, Feinstein's at Nikko amended their press release and removed the part about a selection of songs from his upcoming album.

39default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:01 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:
dusty wrote:Yay!!! Finally!!! This is seriously exciting!!! Omg! Have been waiting for this since forever! I'm so intrigued as to what direction he'll go. And can we please get stutter on it?! Anybody here going to this concert? Fingers and toes crossed for recordings!!!

Hi dusty!   Yes, finally!   Yes, this is seriously, dramatically, ecstatically exciting news!!!   I know you have been waiting for such a long time, and I have too.  And I know Lilikoiluv and blaykee have too! 

I remember our discussion about what direction Darren's debut album will go into.   Do I remember correctly (if I don't, please correct me), but you want wanted rock?   And I want a little bit of everything (pop, rock, singer-songwriter (folksy), soul, but I doubt that will  happen.     But maybe a few different genres--pop, rock, and ballad/folksy. 

It would be great to have Stutter on it.  I wonder if that will happen.    Fingers (and toes-can you do that? ha!  and arms and legs) crossed that he has Stutter on it.

I was reluctant to buy tickets. I just spent some $ on two Hedwig shows.  But it kept eating at me.  And finally, I called my husband and the sweetie pie urged me to buy tickets.  But that's it!  I'm all spent out for the next 2 years!  (Except of course for buying the album!)    DUSTY, I'M GOING TO SEE DARREN IN SF ON NOVEMBER 30!! :very happy clapping hands

Yay! I am so happy for you! You're going to be one of the first few people getting to hear brand new DC songs! Very exciting! We'll be expecting a full report! Including details of new haircut, how many times he swears, and of course how amazing the new songs are on a scale from great to Darrentastic. Btw, your husband is pure awesomeness!

As for genre, yes I'm more of a rock chick. I'm hoping for an Indie/80s alternative vibe. It shall be interesting to see what he'll produce. And yes, it would be amazeballs if Stutter was included. Maybe as a bonus track?

I'm also wondering if he's with a label. If Tim Davis (from Glee) is working with him, wouldn't that suggest he's doing this independently? Otherwise wouldn't the label provide him with producers/vocal coaching or whatever it is Tim is doing?

40default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:03 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:
DUSTY wrote:Bloody hell! Just realised this concert is on my birthday!!! Hopefully someone can get me a nice birthday present in the form of some recordings of new dc songs.

omg!  Happy early BD, dusty!  Aww, that is a sign!   See, he was thinking of you when he chose that date for the concert to debut some of his songs!
:laughing Of course he did! He better do a special song just for me!

And thank you! :hug

41default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Lin wrote:
Poppy wrote:I'm so fortunate to go, Lin.  I wish I could bring all of you!  I can't promise I will record anything.  Sorry, but I'm awful at doing things like that.  But I will report back to the best of my abilities!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Do it Poppy, do it!!

As for his hair cut, maybe it was a sign for this new milestone in his life. Btw, I'm wondering if this is actually for a record/EP, or just him testing the waters. It's intriguing for sure.

42default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:So I saw this on dailydarrennews:

redheadgleek wrote:FYI: somebody in line asked him about this and he seemed very shocked about the “upcoming album.” Both he and his manager (i think that’s who she is) both denied that there was a new album and stated that would be clarifying this with the venue.

-redheadgleek
via dailydarrennews

I hope this is not true.  I just spoke on the phone with the general manager of the club (Feinstein's at Nikko), and he told me that Darren's camp told their club that Darren would be playing a selection of songs from his upcoming album, and that the club would not have had that info in their press release if it was not given to them by Darren's camp.  He said he had no new info.   It is confusing what this fan is reporting Darren said to her/him.  But for now, I am going to assume that the press release is correct, until I hear confirmation from more sources.

Ok, Feinstein's at Nikko amended their press release and removed the part about a selection of songs from his upcoming album.

Oh. Just saw this. How very disappointing. So will he just be playing stuff from his old ep and Disney songs, maybe interspersed with some Hedwig stuff? As nice as those are, I'm really hankering for some new stuff instead of the 500th version of Part of Your World.

43default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
You are a sweetie pie, dusty.  I so appreciate your enthusiasm on my behalf.  Thank you!!  :hug

dusty wrote:Oh. Just saw this. How very disappointing. So will he just be playing stuff from his old ep and Disney songs, maybe interspersed with some Hedwig stuff? As nice as those are, I'm really hankering for some new stuff instead of the 500th version of Part of Your World.

Yes, I'm a lil' disappointed.  I agree that I would love some new original music from him.  But it's all good.   It's still going to be fantastically wonderful seeing Darren perform, especially in such a small venue (I think capacity is less than 150), and I haven't been to SF for a while, so hubby and I are hoping to wander around and explore the city again. :happy face  (Plus, now there is no pressure to tape a recorder to my underboob!  I try to be grateful for small things.   :amused)

I will still report back as to his haircut, dusty, and try to keep count of how many times he swears.  :amused   It's a nice-looking club, though, so I wonder if he will be on his best behavior.  (I hope not! :big grin )  I wonder if his parents will be there?

dusty wrote:
As for genre, yes I'm more of a rock chick. I'm hoping for an Indie/80s alternative vibe. It shall be interesting to see what he'll produce. And yes, it would be amazeballs if Stutter was included. Maybe as a bonus track?

I remember you are into rock and the Indie/80s alternative music.  When he does release an album, it'll be interesting if he has some songs in that genre.  (I hope so!)   Bonus track for Stutter would be great!  You hear that, Darren?!

dusty wrote:I'm also wondering if he's with a label. If Tim Davis (from Glee) is working with him, wouldn't that suggest he's doing this independently? Otherwise wouldn't the label provide him with producers/vocal coaching or whatever it is Tim is doing?

Excellent point.  It would suggest he's not with a big label like Columbia, wouldn't it?  I prefer him with a small label.  I think a small label would give him the freedom to do the music that reflects who he is, as an artist.

So the mystery of his haircut continues . . .  If the haircut did not foretell a release of his album, what other good news is yet to come?  applause

44default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Oh no, that's too bad, but I'm sure you'll still have fun, Poppy.
...and I still think he plans to release some music next year, what else would he have meant by "dropping some things"?

45default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:26 pm

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
Yeah, it's disappointing No

Nonetheless, there is a concert and, even if there's no upcoming album for now, nothing says he won't sing a few new songs...

46default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:49 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lin wrote:Oh no, that's too bad, but I'm sure you'll still have fun, Poppy.
...and I still think he plans to release some music next year, what else would he have meant by "dropping some things"?

Jeremy wrote:Yeah, it's disappointing 

Nonetheless, there is a concert and, even if there's no upcoming album for now, nothing says he won't sing a few new songs...
Thanks guys.  I agree, I will be enjoying seeing and hearing Darren sing (always!), especially at such a small venue.   

And yes, Lin, I agree, Darren must have meant something when he said that.  BTW, do you remember where he said that?  I try to track his hints about his album, but I don't remember the source of that comment.   But please, don't spend time trying to find it.  I know you are busy.  Just wondering if you or anyone else remembers, off the top of your head/memory?

I agree, Jeremy!   Maybe if we're lucky, Darren will present a few new songs!  That would be fantastic!  We'll just have to wait and see.  :happy face

47default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:54 am

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:And yes, Lin, I agree, Darren must have meant something when he said that.  BTW, do you remember where he said that?  I try to track his hints about his album, but I don't remember the source of that comment.   But please, don't spend time trying to find it.  I know you are busy.  Just wondering if you or anyone else remembers, off the top of your head/memory?
In case you haven't found it yet:
http://www.etonline.com/news/198540_exclusive_darren_criss_says_the_biggest_challenge_of_playing_hedwig_is_not_being_able_to_drink/

48default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:59 am

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
Darren wrote:"Hopefully 2017 will be a really interesting year, where I'll just drop something and you'll be like, 'When did he do that?'" he teased. "The answer was, 'Right around now.'"

Thank you for the link, Lin. Maybe he was thinking about doing cameos in TV series / movies / musical videos I don't know

49default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lin, thank you so much for the link!  I really appreciate it!   You are an encyclopedia of Darren-related info! 

And let's cross our fingers that Darren meant all of those things (dropping an album, and starring in another film and/or TV shows)!!

50default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:35 am

dusty001

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Like everyone else has said, it'll still be nice to see him, and it could be that he has some new tunes he wants to test out on the audience but he doesn't want it to seem like a big deal, hence not wanting it to be advertised as songs from an upcoming album.

Anyways, that quote is very cryptic. It could mean anything, but with this concert he is suddenly doing out of the blue, I'm thinking he is referring to something music related.

51default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
dusty wrote:Like everyone else has said, it'll still be nice to see him, and it could be that he has some new tunes he wants to test out on the audience but he doesn't want it to seem like a big deal, hence not wanting it to be advertised as songs from an upcoming album.

Hi dusty!  I'm hoping this happens, that he wants to test out some songs, but doesn't want to make a big announcement about it.  Cross fingers!

dusty wrote:Anyways, that quote is very cryptic. It could mean anything, but with this concert he is suddenly doing out of the blue, I'm thinking he is referring to something music related.

Good point!   Hope you are right, dusty!

52default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:22 am

Lilikoiluv

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Looks like I missed out on a huge bit of excitement!  I wish I had known about the announcement. We had lunch with our nephew at Kin Khao just across the street from the venue.  I would have made a point to stop by and check it out one night!  

Poppy, I'm so happy that you'll get to attend the show!  It will surely be a wonderful experience in such an intimate venue!  It seems that the Hedwig family party they had Sunday night was at this very venue, and it looks like Darren feels very comfortable there! 

I'm sad that this event doesn't seem to be accompanying an album announcement, but I agree with the others that Darren will hopefully throw in a few new tunes to test out that night, because we all know that SOMETHING is brewing musically! ha! Album or no, it will surely be a wonderful event at a great venue, and I can't wait to hear all about it afterwards!  ❤

Lin wrote:Shhh, Poppy. You know you want to:

This was priceless, Lin!  :laughing

53default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:03 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lilikoiluv wrote:Looks like I missed out on a huge bit of excitement!  I wish I had known about the announcement. We had lunch with our nephew at Kin Khao just across the street from the venue.  I would have made a point to stop by and check it out one night! 

I was wondering if you heard the news while you were in SF.   What a coincidence that you had lunch with your nephew right across the street from Feinstein's at the Nikko.   Sorry you didn't know about it earlier, so as to explore the venue. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:Poppy, I'm so happy that you'll get to attend the show!  It will surely be a wonderful experience in such an intimate venue!  It seems that the Hedwig family party they had Sunday night was at this very venue, and it looks like Darren feels very comfortable there!

Aw, thank you, Lilikoiluv!   I am really looking forward to it!   Yes, I agree, that Darren seems to be very comfortable at this venue.   This night club is operated in partnership with Michael Feinstein, so it makes sense that Darren is comfortable with it 

Lilikoiluv wrote:I'm sad that this event doesn't seem to be accompanying an album announcement, but I agree with the others that Darren will hopefully throw in a few new tunes to test out that night, because we all know that SOMETHING is brewing musically! ha! Album or no, it will surely be a wonderful event at a great venue, and I can't wait to hear all about it afterwards!  

Cross our fingers, Lilikoiluv!  And yes, album or no album, I'm sure it will be a wonderful performance.  Will report to the best of my abilities!  (But my memory is not as good as Lilikoiluv's, so won't be as wonderfully detailed as her notes about the St. Ignatius event!   :amused )

54default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 am

Lilikoiluv

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Poppy wrote:I was wondering if you heard the news while you were in SF.   What a coincidence that you had lunch with your nephew right across the street from Feinstein's at the Nikko.   Sorry you didn't know about it earlier, so as to explore the venue. 
I know!  If I had known, I would totally have made the effort to scope out and explore the venue for you, Poppy! I wish I could have gotten some info to share with you as you plan your trip!  

Poppy wrote:Will report to the best of my abilities! (But my memory is not as good as Lilikoiluv's, so won't be as wonderfully detailed as her notes about the St. Ignatius event!    ) 
You mean your report will be wonderfully clear and concise and not rambly and confusing?  :big grin 
So looking forward to it!   thumbs up

55default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:05 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lilikoiluv wrote:I know!  If I had known, I would totally have made the effort to scope out and explore the venue for you, Poppy! I wish I could have gotten some info to share with you as you plan your trip! 

Aw, that is so nice of you, Lilikoiluv!   Thanks. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:You mean your report will be wonderfully clear and concise and not rambly and confusing?   
So looking forward to it!  

No!  Your writing is none of those things!   Your comments are eloquent and expressive.  And seriously, your memory is amazing.  I could never write such detailed comments, but I will try my best to report what I remember!

56default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
-

Jeremy wrote:
From the Youtube channel Darren Criss : 

excited

Lin wrote:I agree it's most likely music-related, but since it's only on Darren's social media, my money is on that solo EP he promised.

I was out and about today and was thinking that maybe it's Darren's solo album, and then returned and saw Lin's post.  :happy face  I've been hoping Darren would keep his word and release his solo album this year, so can't wait to see if that happens!  :fingers crossed :fingers crossed

Darren posted the same mysterious message on twitter and his instagram:

DarrenCriss: coming soon

July 21, 2017

via dcriss-archive

Via Darren’s Instagram Story (July 21st, 2017)

via dcriss-archive

A few reactions: 

From dcriss-archive:

From Darren Criss Army:

57default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
This is funny.  :amused  Darren's friends may like to make fun of him sometimes, but they always support him.  heart

Can't wait to see if this is about Darren's solo album/EP!!! 

From Darren Criss Army:

"This time, no speedo."  :big grin   Was "this time" also a play on words on Darren's song?  :amused

58default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:29 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Placing this here, based on my guess/hope that tomorrow that Darren will release his solo album/EP (or announce the release of his solo album/EP).  :happy face

From dcriss-archive:

Darren update his profile pic on Facebook:

dcriss-archive:
   Darren changed his icon on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter & YouTube (July 25th, 2017)

dcriss-archive:

Darren’s new icon & header on Spotify (July 25th, 2017)

dcriss-archive:
  New profile pic & header on Darren’s Spotify (July 25th, 2017)

EDIT:  Oops!  I was totally wrong that the big announcement on July 26 (today) was about Darren's solo album/EP.  So I'll copy the info in this post and put it in this thread too: Darren Appreciation Thread: General News about Darren for 2017.

59default Re: Discussion of Darren's Album on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Wait!  What?!  So "I Dreamed A Dream" is a single in connection with Darren's album?  I thought it was a single released to promote Elsie Fest?  Well, I guess it can be both!  :love

From dcriss-archive:

ryanlerman: The first single from @darrencriss new record is out! We recorded this song live in Eau Claire, WI with @ymusicnyc. I produced and arranged. You can catch them performing this song on the @todayshow tomorrow

August 1, 2017

via dcriss-archive

Wow, that is fantastic news!    I will reserve the dancing banana for the date when Darren releases his new album, but until then these emoji's express my enthusiasm and excitement as a result of this news that there are plans to release his album soon! clapping hands :very happy excited celebration dance!

By the way, I googled Ryan Lerman, and I found out that he was the music director and guitarist for John Legend's "All of Me" tour.  He also records, writes, and releases his own music.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum