Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 35]

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

It's great that the last promo does so well on YouTube. ACS is gonna make a big star of Darren, I feel it :happy face

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I hope so, Jeremy!  I hope that Darren's performance in Versace leads to many opportunities!

From Darren Criss Army:

I like these shows that Matt Whitney wrote for.  :happy face

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1pfgglemU1ubd9qxo1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1pfgglemU1ubd9qxo2_400
Another screener review of ACS.

TV Line wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1qeccDez61wpi2k2o1_1280

The Best New TV Shows of Winter 2018

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)

Premieres Wednesday, Jan. 17 at 10/9c

WHAT’S IT ABOUT?: The second installment of Ryan Murphy’s FX anthology series— which last tackled the infamous trial of O.J. Simpson — focuses on the 1997 murder of fashion icon Gianni Versace, the events leading up to his untimely death, and the effect his loss had on his family, his empire and the world.

WHY WE LIKE IT: True to its subject, this show is about as decadent as television gets. Shot (to so speak) in Versace’s actual Miami Beach mansion, this sumptuous drama is dripping with authenticity, bolstered by powerhouse performances from Emmy- and Oscar-winning actors, as well as a star-making — not to mention barely clothed — turn from Glee’s Darren Criss, who eerily slips into the role of Versace’s bespectacled killer.

Nice article. (But please, no Woody Allen.)
Inquirer wrote:
Quotable talents in 2017 (Part 2)

December 29, 2017

“(The Fil-Am on tackling the biggest and most challenging role in his career…) This is a moment for me, and I recognize that. I do feel like my ship came in for this one … I’m unfathomably grateful. But I studied acting. I treat acting like a real craft as much as you love to roll your eyes at that little word. But it’s true. There’s no sense of entitlement. But I worked hard. I believe in doing the necessary steps to get to a certain place.

So, to finally be given this opportunity, I feel prepared. Whether or not it’s good is a whole other story. It could be horrible, crash and burn. But it’s like that—give me the ball, coach. And Ryan Murphy certainly gave me a good throw.”

By: Ruben V. Nepales - Columnist, Philippine Daily Inquirer / 12:25 AM December 29, 2017
http://entertainment.inquirer.net/255999/quotable-talents-2017-2

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

New promo video.  :happy face

New snippets on promo for The Assassination of GIanni Versace: American Crime Story (December 29th, 2017) | Source

via dcriss-archive

More praise.  :happy face  Henry Goldblatt is Editor in Chief for Entertainment Weekly. 

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1sg62eR9A1wpi2k2o1_1280
HenryGoldblatt: My ridiculous, far-fetched(?), pop culture predictions for 2018 #2018Predictions

Emma Dibdin is an entertainment editor for Hearst.com.  Kayla Cobb is a writer/producer for New York Post and Decider.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1quld8wxm1wpi2k2o1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1quld8wxm1wpi2k2o2_r1_540

Brinkwire wrote:
New Assassination of Gianni Versace Video Gives Closer Look at the Crime and Cast

Ryan Murphy has made a seemingly permanent home for himself on FX and Fox. The producer has five shows split between the networks, often picking up award nominations along the way. Last year brought the trial of the century back into the pop culture conversation with The People v OJ Simpson: American Crime Story, and the second season of the anthology series will be The Assassination of Gianni Versace. The network has been slowly revealing more information about the show’s sophomore season, and a new video put focus on the crime itself, while also revealing more about the ensemble cast of characters. Check out the video below.

Color me intrigued. Let’s explore what we’re being shown in this newest sneak peek into The Assassination of Gianni Versace, and what we should expect once the highly anticipated new season premiers on FX.

Much of the above video focuses on why the new season is the right fit for American Crime Story. The anthology series will be focusing on crimes that could only function within an American society. This year will include Versace’s assassination, and the missteps in law enforcement that lead to Andrew Cunanan’s spree of murders in 1997. The high profile case revolving around the famed fashion designer swept the nation when the events played out in real time, and FX is hoping for that same spark with the modern version.

The new Assassination of Gianni Versace clip also highlights some of the supporting cast, especially the various detectives working on the case. This includes Orange is the New Black actress Dascha Polanco, who is playing Detective Lori Wieder. Also spotted was Nashville and Stranger Things actor Will Chase’s Detective Scrimshaw. They’ll be just some of the agents attempting Andrew Cunanan’s manhunt in the wake of his various murders.

Speaking of Andrew Cunanan, it truly looks like this could be a game changer for Glee actor Darren Criss. While he’s kept busy with film and stage roles over the years, this role will give him the opportunity to lead a project, and go place far more adult than Blaine Anderson ever could have. He’ll be playing opposite series regulars Edgar Ramirez, Penelope Cruz, and Ricky Martin.

Following The Assassination of Gianni Versace, the series will take yet another interest turn, as it turns its focus on the events of Hurricane Katrina. Katrina is still very much in its early development, but Annette Bening had been previously reported to be joining the case for Season 3. The stakes for both upcoming seasond feel very high, as The People v OJ Simpson was universally acclaimed, receiving 22 Primetime Emmy Nominations and winning nine. But considering how drastically different the subject matter of each season is, there is the possibility that certain stories will be more popular than others.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace will debut January 17, 2018 on FX. In the meantime, check out our midseason premiere list to plan your next binge watch, and our cancellation list to see if your favorite show got the chop this year.
via dcriss-archive

-

Last edited by Poppy on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive

"Give 'em the Emmy's now."  :happy face

Access Hollywood 2017 TV Year In Review & 2018 Preview (December 30th, 2017) | Source

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1sthn1HEB1wpi2k2o1_1280   Track: Darren Criss on Broadway Names w/Julie James (12-30-2017)
Darren Criss on Broadway Names w Julie James (December 30th, 2017)

via dcriss-archive

I guess that this EW article is a reflection of this list (from yesterday's post)

Poppy wrote:

More praise.  :happy face  Henry Goldblatt is Editor in Chief for Entertainment Weekly. 

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1sg62eR9A1wpi2k2o1_1280
HenryGoldblatt: My ridiculous, far-fetched(?), pop culture predictions for 2018 #2018Predictions

Entertainment Weekly wrote:
Darren Criss an Emmy winner and other 2018 pop culture predictions we hope come true

December 31, 2017

Ridiculous, far-fetched(?) pop culture predictions for 2018

As the final hours of 2017 tick away, EW editor-in-chief Henry Goldblatt looks ahead to 2018 and makes some predictions for what to expect in the coming year of pop culture.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_inline_p1u0vzpPTy1qe3h8a_500
Emmy winner Darren Criss
Source:  http://ew.com/news/pop-culture-predictions-2018/

:amused  Kevin O'Keefe is a senior writer and editor for Mic.  Kevin Fallon is a senior entertainment reporter for The Daily Best.  
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1upzcugo71wpi2k2o1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1upzcugo71wpi2k2o2_540

From Darren Criss Army

About the Julie James interview.  This is a great story about Jon Jon Briones and Ryan Murphy.  I think I read somewhere that the screenplay writer Tom Rob Smith, and Darren urged Mr. Briones to audition. 
"I play a man by the name of Andrew Cunanan and [Jon Jon Briones] plays Modesto Cunanan, he plays the father of this guy, and I am so happy to say that he knocked Ryan Murphy off his rocker. Ryan was asking me, “Who is this guy? Where is he from? Why doesn’t he get more parts? How come I’ve never heard of him?”…  I was so thrilled for Jon Jon… This was a real moment for Jon Jon, it’s a really thick part, I think he did an exquisite job and I hope that this opens up a lot of doors for him. "
- Darren Criss on Broadway Names With Julie James (SiriusXM), Dec. 30, 2017

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

Advocate wrote:
10 Things to Get You Through 2018: 1. A Serial Killer Revisited

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_inline_p1w96a90uc1tz53qh_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_inline_p1w96pp3ye1tz53qh_1280

Source:  https://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2018/1/01/10-things-get-you-through-2018

Hmm.  Am really scared I will get nightmares.  This is when my technique of closing my eyes behind my hand will be utilized to the fullest extent.  I need someone to watch and then post at what points the violent parts occur :fingers crossed   Can I have someone do this for us scary-cats?   If I use the closing my eyes technique, I'm afraid to miss the minute of acting just before Darren as Cunanan become violent. . . this is a dilemma for me.  Is Vlada hinting that in episodes 1-2, the violence occurs at the end of the episodes?

From dcriss-archive:

Vlada Gelman is West Coast editor for TVLine.com.   Robyn Ross is Senior Producer at Entertainment Weekly.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1wjf4z90z1wpi2k2o2_r1_1280

This is a German website.
Welt wrote:"American Crime Story“, "Young Sheldon“ oder "Tannbach“: Die Serien-Highlights im Januar - WELT

01-01-2018

Already the first season of the series anthology, which dealt with famous criminal cases of the American history, aroused enthusiasm. "The People Vs. OJ Simpson “was one of the best season series of 2016 and was deservedly honored with countless awards. After OJ Simpson had a famous shooter in the first season, the new episodes revolve around a prominent victim: designer Gianni Versace.

He was gunned down on July 15, 1997 in front of his Miami mansion by homosexual serial killer Andrew Cunanan . Similar to the first season, the series creators around Ryan Murphy work on the real events with much suspense and great actors, shed light on the investigation into the murder and look behind the scenes of the authorities. On the one hand, this creates a painting of the time and homosexual life in the USA at the time. At the same time, “American Crime Story” reveals the failings of the authorities, which could have prevented the murder of Versace actually.

Among the performers of the new season include Penélope Cruz as Donatella Versace and the singer Ricky Martin in the role of Gianni Versace’s partner Antonio D'Amico. Darren Criss, with whom Ryan Murphy has worked with “Glee”, shines as the charming murderer Andrew Cunanan. And his person and history have as many socially relevant facets as those of OJ Simpson.
Source:  https://www.welt.de/kultur/article172064638/American-Crime-Story-Young-Sheldon-oder-Tannbach-Die-Serien-Highlights-im-Januar.html

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy wrote:Hmm.  Am really scared I will get nightmares.  This is when my technique of closing my eyes behind my hand will be utilized to the fullest extent.  I need someone to watch and then post at what points the violent parts occur The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 264538070   Can I have someone do this for us scary-cats?   If I use the closing my eyes technique, I'm afraid to miss the minute of acting just before Darren as Cunanan become violent. . . this is a dilemma for me.

I can do that for you but you would have to wait a little before watching the episode...

Btw, I found this video. I find it intriguing that Ellen says "I haven't even realised that the bad guy was the bad guy" or something like that (the talk about ACS begins after five minutes). 

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Jeremy wrote:
I can do that for you but you would have to wait a little before watching the episode...

Aw, Jeremy, you are beyond kind!  Thank you so much.   How long is the delay between Brussels and California?  If it's not too long, it's really tempting to take you up on your very kind offer.

I think I remember that Ryan had said in an interview that most of the violence occurs in the first 4-5 episodes.  Is that what you guys remember?

For U.S. and Canada:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1y43vCSGP1ubd9qxo1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1y43vCSGP1ubd9qxo2_r1_540

SEASON PASS for The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story is available for purchase on iTunes.

We are looking to confirm in which countries this is available other than the US. Please comment if you check for your country.

Update: So far we have confirmation that the option is available in the US and Canada, but it does not seem to be in Argentina, Australia, Finland, Germany, Italy, Spain, or the UK.

via Darren Criss Army

Link:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-season/id1322190168

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Well, you could get a MP from me on Thursday before noon (California time). 

Sorry, I don't remember which episodes are supposed to be more violent.

I don't trust Ryan on any sort of detail, but yes, judging by the the episode titles and short descriptions, the murders should be over after episode 4 or maybe 5, until the last episode where Cunanan commits suicide and I assume they'll probably also show Versace's murder again.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Jeremy wrote:Well, you could get a MP from me on Thursday before noon (California time).

I was so excited to see your answer, Jeremy, and I told my husband that he may not have to preview the first 4-5 episodes after all (which I feel bad asking him to do).  But then he reminded me that our recorder is not always reliable, which is why I watch my favorite episodes live.  Our machines mostly works fine.  I suppose if it ever failed to record an episode, then I can get the iTunes to watch.  Sorry, I'm working this out in my still fuzzy mind (from my cold, which moved into a sinus infection).  

In short, yes Jeremy, I would love for you to PM me Thursday!  It doesn't have to be before noon.  It can be anytime before 6 pm on Thursday.   It will be sooooo useful for me to find out at Point X, Point Y and Point Z, violence occurs. 

Thank you so much, Jeremy!  bow to you bow to you bow to you  My husband and I--especially my husband--are eternally grateful to you!!!! :bravo :hug :thank you

Lin wrote:I don't trust Ryan on any sort of detail, but yes, judging by the the episode titles and short descriptions, the murders should be over after episode 4 or maybe 5, until the last episode where Cunanan commits suicide and I assume they'll probably also show Versace's murder again.

Thanks so much for your answer, Lin!!  :thank you

My cold has moved into a sinus infection, so I am feeling worse.  Hopefully the antibiotics kick in and I will feel better by the Golden Globes on Jan. 7, Sunday.  Anyway, just temporarily, I may not post quite as much until I feel better.  :happy face

From Darren Criss Army:

This writer is so exuberant about Darren's work in Versaceheart  I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I hope her predictions come true.   heart  And yes, 2018 is the year I want to be creeped out  by Darren's acting.  :happy face haha.  But I do hope that he also mixes it up with roles where he plays warm and likeable, even an occasional rom-com (if it's well-written).    If our hopes become true, I have absolutely am sure that at an award ceremony, that Darren will be humble and express his gratitude to Ryan, as well as commend the cast, the directors (including Ryan), the writer, and the behind the scene folks.  I also am certain that Darren will always keep it about good work.  Remember that byline that Alex choose for DarrenCriss-news: 
"I just hope I can continue to do work that matters to me, I’m not interested in being any kind of superstar or anything I’m not. I’m just a dude who got lucky and an artist who cares about the work that I do." heart heart heart  Darren is so grounded, one of the things I really love about him.   :love

Decider wrote:
Darren Criss Is The Next Sarah Paulson

January 3, 2018

This time two years ago, you probably only vaguely knew who actress Sarah Paulson was, if you knew her at all. So now, let’s go ahead and take a temperature check when it comes to your current familiarity with Darren Criss. Lemme guess…Glee, maybe? Well, we’re just days away from that changing significantly.

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story was a career and life-changing role for Paulson. Portraying Marcia Clark put her on the map, on more screens, and on the minds of average television consumers. Before that, her consistent career included appearing in executive producer Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story and picking up critical kudos for her roles in Martha Marcy May Marlene, 12 Years Slave, and Carol (and not nearly enough attention for her excellence in Aaron Sorkin’s Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, if we’re being honest). But after she transformed into the sympathetic, cigarette-smoking, permed prosecutor, the world finally understood the talent that this woman was sharing with the world. This resulted in Critics’ Choice, Golden Globe, Emmy and SAG statues and roles in this year’s likely Oscar-nominated The Post as well as the highly anticipated Ocean’s 8. She’s straight up unstoppable.

And yet, that Ryan Murphy magic is at it again for the 2018 installment of American Crime Story, and this time it’s The Assassination of Gianni Versace. While Edgar Ramirez is great as Versace and Penelope Cruz as Donatella will spur gifs wide across the internet, it’s Darren Criss who will send shivers up and down and back up your spine throughout the entire series. He’s creepy, he’s precise, and he’s absolutely impossible to take your eyes off of. As spree-killer Andrew Cunanan, he is giving a provocative performance that will have people talking and showering him with awards. Go ahead, just carve the Emmy for him now. It’s going to be hard for any other male actor to come close to what Criss is bringing this year.

Oh, and that’s not just because it’s fantastic. It’s also startling because we’ve never seen anything like this from him. What happened to that kid from Glee who sang his heart out on “Teenage Dream”? Criss brought his charm to the Kristen Wiig rom-com Girl Most Likely in 2012 but has never quite achieved the recognition he’s deserved for the acting, singing, and general musical theater skills he’s bringing to the game. All of that changes with The Assassination of Gianni Versace.

It’s unlikely you thought to yourself, “2018 is the year I want to be supremely creeped the eff out by Darren Criss,” but that wish is about to come true for you anyway. His performance in the FX drama will give you a delightful and exciting whiplash in the way it switches from frantic to controlled, emotional to subtle, and straight up scary to intriguing. Criss will be catapulted to a household name, and one that we’re kind of freaked out by, but mostly in a good way, right?

Criss has wisely braced himself for this moment. With a new EP released just a few weeks ago, and a schedule clear of any upcoming productions, he’ll be fielding offers left and right — for theater, tours, massive movies, more series TV. He’s already got a fanbase built in, not that they’re ready for what they’re about to see, but it will only expand from here. The key to it all is that he’s just gotta stay on that Paulson path: remain as affable as it gets in real life and on talk shows, remember to thank Ryan Murphy & co. in your awards acceptance speeches, and keep it about the work — and interesting work, at that. But now that we know what he’s capable of, it would be cool if he could just lean closer to the teenage dream than the nightmares he’s able to create.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres Wednesday, January 17, 2018 on FX, and FX+ subscribers can watch the first episode beginning Friday, January 12, 2018.

Source:  https://decider.com/2018/01/03/darren-criss-is-the-next-sarah-paulson/

From dcriss-archive:

FXNetworks: Everyone would know what he did. The Assassination of Gianni Versace, the next installment of FX’s award-winning American Crime Story, premieres January 17. #ACSVersace

via dcriss-archive

I believe he is a writer for Guardian, GQ Magazine, Esquire, and The AV Club. 
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1zssfievO1wpi2k2o1_1280

Yahoo Entertainment wrote:
Winter TV Preview: The scoop on 13 new shows

January 2, 2018

‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ (FX, Jan. 17 at 10 p.m.)

The one-sentence pitch
: “Like it’s titled, it’s about the murder of Gianni Versace, but what the show is really about is what leads up to that murder,” says ACS executive producer Brad Simpson. “And most people who know about Versace know he was murdered by Andrew Cunanan, but they probably don’t know that he was the final victim in a killing spree.”

What to expect
: “This season is a very different flavor. It’s a different mood, it’s a different type of crime, and a different type of storytelling,” Simpson says of the new season, which unfolds Cunanan’s crime in a nonlinear fashion, beginning with Versace’s murder and revealing Cunanan’s other victims in reverse chronological order. “We felt like it was important to not have the audience spend eight episodes waiting for that murder to happen, so we get right to the most famous murder. Then … we’ve all seen stories of the evolution of a killer, where you follow someone as they commit their first murder, climaxing with something bigger. We thought it was more interesting to do it in reverse, tell you the whole story in reverse, go victim by victim into the past and really try to understand not just who these other victims were but also why [Cunanan] ended up on this path.”

Glee-ful cast
: Penelope Cruz as Donatella Versace, Edgar Ramirez as Gianni, Ricky Martin as Versace’s boyfriend Antonio, as well as memorable performances from Judith Light, Finn Wittrock, Dascha Polanco, Mike Farrell, Max Greenfield, and newcomer Cody Fern pepper the season, but it’s singer and Glee alum Darren Criss, as Cunanan, who is most mesmerizing as the undeniably charming, and disturbed, serial killer. “Versace and Andrew Cunanan were both born into circumstances in which they were gay men with ambition, with taste, and who people genuinely liked,” Simpson says. “Andrew was very well-liked until a certain age. … We wanted to explore what sets one off on the path to becoming this great creator, and what sets the other on the path to being this destroyer.” — KP

Winter TV Preview: The scoop on 13 new shows
Source:  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/winter-tv-preview-scoop-13-slideshow-wp-140043774/photo-p-strong-1-sentence-pitch-photo-140043714.html

This talks about Darren in Versace in the second to last paragraph.  The previous paragraphs talk about Darren's history.  At the end, the article mentions that Versace can be seen on Canal +.  I assume this is in France?    I know I read that Versace is available to watch in England, but forgot what Channel.
Vanity Fair - France wrote:
Darren Criss, l'espoir du petit écran américain à surveiller de près

03-01-2018

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Vf_darren_criss_opg_5336.jpeg_north_1160x630_white

Teenage Dream

Darren Criss, the hope of the small screen to watch closely

Although Darren Criss may have left the Glee choir, he is not finished with Ryan Murphy. The 30-year-old actor is featured in season 2 of “American Crime Story”, titled “The Assassination of Gianni Versace”. Based on Maureen Orth’s book, “Vulgar Flavors,” the series will focus on the story of serial killer Andrew Cunanan, played by Darren Criss.

In France, he is still little known - if not a fan of Glee. Almost all Glee fan fell under the spell of the Californian when he played the young Blaine Anderson. Playing, singing, dancing, and even writing - since he’s also a songwriter - everything seems to be within Darren Criss’s reach. As he prepares to demonstrate the extent of his talents in what could be the role of his life, Vanity Fair has conducted an investigation into Ryan Murphy’s protégé .

“MOST LIKELY TO WIN A GRAMMY”

Darren Criss was born in 1987 in San Francisco, California, but spent his early childhood in Honolulu, Hawaii. From an early age, he was immersed in music: at the age of five, he began his violin lessons, which he continued for fifteen years. On top of that, he taught himself guitar, piano, mandolin, harmonica and drums. No wonder, then, that his classmates chose him as a Grammy contender, even  though he was only in high school. He still hasn’t won that grammy, but the nomination took place in 2012 with Glee. At only 15 years old, Darren Criss was already a musician, singer, and composer: He wrote his first song, Human, in 2009, which is on his first EP of the same name. However, music isn't  enough for this lover of the arts: in addition to his songs and the half-dozen instruments he’s mastered perfectly, Darren Criss wants to act. In parallel with music, he has been acting since the age of 10, when he joined the youth program of the famous American Conservatory Theater - which has among its alumni, Nicolas Cage , Winona Ryder, Elizabeth Banks and Brie Larson .

His adolescence is punctuated by the plays in which he plays: The Music Man, The Diary of Anne Frank, Fiddler on the Roof, Pride and Prejudice … He even left the US, in 2008, to study at the Accademia dell'Arte, in Arezzo in Tuscany. “No one is supposed to know what to do as a kid” , he said in 2013 at the LA Times . “I’m one of the lucky ones. I always worked towards my goal, it did not happen by chance. It takes a lifetime of work to become a phenomenon overnight .”

Success comes a year later. In 2009, when Darren Criss graduated from the Beaux Arts, he decided to go with a few friends to a production company specializing in musicals: StarKid Productions . By performing, with his troupe, the role of Harry Potter in a musical adaptation of JK Rowling’s work, Darren Criss made a sensational entrance into the world of American entertainment. “It was overwhelming, it happened by accident: it was right when the viral videos appeared”, He testifies years later. The first clip of the show, posted in 2009, almost ten years later, reached 14 million views on YouTube.

“ SINGING… ”

With the triumph of A Very Potter Musical, Darren Criss began to get noticed. Moving from boards to television, he appeared in 2009 in five episodes of Eastwick , a fantastic series then broadcast on ABC. The following year marks the beginning of glory for the young artist: after a flash passage in an episode of Cold Case , the young man won a role in the second season of Glee , the musical series of Ryan Murphy , then in full swing . He makes a sensational debut in the series as Blaine Anderson , an openly gay young man who will become Kurt’s future love interest (Chris Colfer). In his first episode, he sings Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream. - the single is immediately at the top of sales.

Hair cut and full of gel, tailored suit: he abandons, for the needs of the series, the arts student look for a preppy, neat look. “I was a clumsy actor with long hair, a little nerd . When I had an audition for Glee , I said to myself: “It’s important, I’ll cut my hair” “ , then says Darren Criss at the LA Times . ” Glee has really been a turning point in my career . “ In five seasons, the young man goes from a secondary character to fan favorite in a flash: in season three, Ryan Murphy modifies his character’s journey to become part of McKinley High School, where most of the plot unfolds. Thus, Darren Criss attained the status of regular actor.

Despite persistent rumors, including seeing him play a gay character on the screen, Darren Criss has repeatedly said that he is heterosexual. He confided in 2010 to Vanity Fair that it is still a subject close to his heart: “I grew up in a very open community, including through the theater in San Francisco - it’s difficult , if we stick to the clichés, to be more gay. I was raised in the “gay community” . My parents were straight, but I spent a lot of time very young with gay folks in the theater world.

Quasi-omnipresent in the series, the prodigy still finds time for multiple projects, as usual. After playing a Harry Potter singer in his musical, he loops the loop by replacing Daniel Radcliffe on stage in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying . He lends a helping hand for three weeks, which then became the most lucrative of the production. He also plays in a movie comedy unnoticed on this side of the Atlantic: Imogene , where Darren Criss starred with Kristen Wiig , and even made a brief appearance in the video for Katy Perry , Last Friday Night- that he will resume, too, in Glee .

THE VERSACE KILLER

If there is one thing that can not be removed from Ryan Murphy , it is his loyalty. In his multiple projects from year to year (Nip / Tuck, Glee, American Horror Story , Scream Queens, American Crime Story , Feud and soon 911 and Pose ), the director never drops his favorite actors. When Glee comes to an end, Lea Michele (Rachel in the series) finds her place in the first two seasons of Scream Queens. Same thing for Jessica Lange , who goes from American Horror Story to Feud , or Sarah Paulson, which seems to assert itself as the essential muse of the director in any of his projects. For Darren Criss , the situation is more or less similar: once you set foot in work with Ryan Murphy , you do not leave. After Glee , the young man makes a quick appearance in the fifth season of American Horror Story , Hotel , where he plays Justin, an arrogant hipster who will end up stabbed. This flash passage is actually nothing compared to what Murphy is preparing for him: a leading role in the second installment of American Crime Story , whose first season on the OJ Simpson affair, has already conquered audience and criticism. This time, the production is interested in the murder of Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramírez) by the serial killer Andrew Cunanan , played by Darren Criss - who is finally offered a role complex enough to show the extent of his talent.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, starts January 17 in the United States, and soon on Canal +.

Source:  http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/series/articles/qui-est-darren-criss-qui-jouera-le-tueur-de-versace-dans-american-crime-story-saison-2-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-/59177

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1zuqwksWh1wpi2k2o1_1280
CanalFX_la: Tic, tac. La obsesión por Gianni Versace crece en la cabeza del asesino. El Asesinato de Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. Estreno, 18 de enero. #ACSVersaceEnFX

*Tic, toc. The obsession for Gianni Versace grows on the head of the killer. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. Premiere, January 17.

Some folks have seen posters of Versace in the SF Muni (transportation system):
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1z65nsKVI1wpi2k2o1_1280
colferwesley: Saw this at metro station in San Francisco today, among with lots more. The whole station was filled with #americancrimestory posters. This is gonna be huge and I’m so proud. The city is proud, Dare.

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Jeremy wrote:
Btw, I found this video. I find it intriguing that Ellen says "I haven't even realised that the bad guy was the bad guy" or something like that (the talk about ACS begins after five minutes).

Jeremy, I forgot to reply to this.  Yes, it's unclear what that means?  confused   My only guess is that maybe she read Cunanan's name, and/or saw Cunanan's pic (in some pics, he looks cute and nice), Ellen assumed he was a victim and not the spree killer?  I'm only guessing because that is what I assumed (that he was a victim instead of the killer), because he does look nice in a pic or more.

From acsversace-news:

I thought the first and third comments from Todd VanDerWerf are interesting comments.  He is a critic at Vox:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1s35nOGux1wcyxsbo4_r3_1280

-

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy wrote:My cold has moved into a sinus infection, so I am feeling worse.  Hopefully the antibiotics kick in and I will feel better by the Golden Globes on Jan. 7, Sunday.  Anyway, just temporarily, I may not post quite as much until I feel better.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 3308115737
Take care and feel better soon! :hug
Meanwhile I kind of peeled my finger instead of the potato I was aiming for, so now I can't bend it and typing is a bit of a bother. I shouldn't be allowed around sharp objects.  I don't know

Poppy wrote:At the end, the article mentions that Versace can be seen on Canal +.  I assume this is in France?    I know I read that Versace is available to watch in England, but forgot what Channel.
BBCidontknowwhichnumber Razz
I saw people from England and Australia complain that they still don't have a release date, so it's all the more surprising to me that Germany already has one and it's less than three weeks after the official premiere. Not that I could wait that long or even have the channel, but still exciting! It usually takes several months at least for most shows (that aren't Game of Thrones).

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Lin wrote:
Take care and feel better soon! The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 3065861840
Meanwhile I kind of peeled my finger instead of the potato I was aiming for, so now I can't bend it and typing is a bit of a bother. I shouldn't be allowed around sharp objects.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 1314804351

Thanks so much, Lin.  :happy face  Oh my, I'm so sorry about your injury, Lin.  I hope it's not too much skin.  I've done that before.  I hate it when I hurt myself in the kitchen.  Cooking is dangerous!  Whatever you do, do not buy a mandoline.  I knew someone who used it without the guard and he literally cut a chunk of the tip of his finger off.  Poor man was uninsured, so he didn't go to the doctor, but at the very next opportunity, he signed up for the Affordable Care Act.   Sorry, I'm digressing.  Embarassed  I'm guessing you hurt  it on the knuckle?   Keep it loosely bandaged in the day if you are using that hand to prevent it from getting re-hurt.    I hope it heals soon, Lin.  : it's gonna be ok

Lin wrote:BBCidontknowwhichnumber The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Icon_razz
I saw people from England and Australia complain that they still don't have a release date, so it's all the more surprising to me that Germany already has one and it's less than three weeks after the official premiere. Not that I could wait that long or even have the channel, but still exciting! It usually takes several months at least for most shows (that aren't Game of Thrones).
Thanks for the info, Lin.  I think I will keep a log of  the release dates for the various countries and the channels when I find out.  Lin, on what channel will folks in Germany be able to see Versace?   And what is the release date?   Thanks so much!

So I had missed this post on Darren Criss Army.   Versace will show on BBC Two in England.
Spoiler:

Source:  https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/5251745/gritty-new-bbc-thriller-examines-the-assassination-of-italian-fashion-designer-gianni-versace/

Nicely said, Ryan.  :happy face One tiny correction:  I think the writer meant when Ryan saw Darren in the Hedwig and the Angry Inch (tour) production in Los Angeles, unless anyone knows that Ryan did see Darren in Hedwig on Broadway?
Entertainment Weekly wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  Ryan Murphy says he knew Darren Criss was 'capable of great darkness'

January 4, 2017

Cover your eyes, Gleeks. Darren Criss, who played squeaky clean, bow-tie aficionado Blaine Anderson on Fox’s Glee is about to shed that image.

The actor has his darkest and most challenging role to date as serial killer Andrew Cunanan in FX’s The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, premiering Jan. 17 on FX. Cunanan not only killed the titular designer, played by Edgar Ramirez, but also four other men in 1997. Portraying the sociopath, Criss vacillates between being charming, pathetic, ruthless, and psychotic.

“I did as much research as humanly possible,” says Criss. But, “there’s not a whole lot of preparation you can do. The only thing you can really do is being available to all emotions at all times. At any point, he’s ready to fire off in any direction.”

Executive producer Ryan Murphy was adamant that Criss play Cunanan after seeing the actor on Broadway in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. “I just knew he could do it,” reveals Murphy. “More than that, I knew that he was super hungry and ambitious. I think people thought of Darren as a musical comedy star first. But, when I saw Hedwig, I knew he was capable of great darkness.”

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres Jan. 17 at 10 p.m. on FX.
Source:  http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/04/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-ryan-murphy-darren-criss/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

He is with BuzzFeed.  I liked his phrasing:  "@DarrenCriss is Grade A crazy and wonderful as Cunanan."  :big grin
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21m8sBCS11ubd9qxo1_540
Source

Source:  https://twitter.com/mattdegroot/status/948974410345492485

From dcriss-archive:

Ohhhh. This is nice.  :happy face
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21w6eGrQn1wpi2k2o1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21w6eGrQn1wpi2k2o2_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21w6eGrQn1wpi2k2o3_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21w6eGrQn1wpi2k2o4_1280

Darren’s featured in Vanity Fair’s February 2018 issue.

More talks shows!  :happy face
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21p7wQKDw1wpi2k2o1_1280
Darren’s listed as an upcoming guest on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on January 10th, 2018 | Source

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21qvasAuJ1wpi2k2o1_500h

Darren will be a guest on “Live with Kelly and Ryan” on January 17,th 2018 | Source

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21q9nSpSO1wpi2k2o1_1280

Darren will be at Good Morning America on January 15th, 2018 | Source

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21wzwSyJL1wpi2k2o1_1280

Who is the hell is the "Street Magician guy"?? :big grin
Washington Post wrote:
What to Watch: TV chat with Hank Stuever

Jan 04, 2018

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21mb3UbGs1wcyxsb_og_500
Post TV critic Hank Stuever talked about what's bad, good and so bad it's good on TV.

Here's what Hank would watch if he wasn't paid to watch TV: "Game of Thrones," "The Americans," "The Amazing Race" and "Shameless" Lately he's been digging "The Chi" "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story," "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," "The Crown" and "Below Deck."

Q: American Crime Story

Do you think The Assassination of Gianni Versace has the potential to be as big as The People vs OJ Simpson? Or is 90s gay politics too niche for audiences?

A: Hank Stuever

Is it political, though? What principles did Andrew Cunanan stand for?

That said, I think you’re onto something. Make the subject gay (either a little bit or a lot) and you still lose some potential audience (dude bros, mainly), though not nearly to the degree that you once might have. Plus, I think everyone wants to tune in to see if this one is as good as the last one. Versace is nowhere near the true-crime mania that accompanies the subject of O.J. Simpson. Minus the crazed gay serial killer angle and debaucherous gay luxury angle, he Versace murder is hard sell as a work of nostalgia or revisionist drama.

I have seen two episodes at this point, but I have a feeling I’ll be bingeing a lot more of it tonight in advance of FX’s presentations tomorrow. What I can say, so far, is that this series hits the same sweet spot that the O.J. series did, between fact and sensation. Darren Criss goes all out as Andrew Cunanan.

[. . . ]

Q: Darren Criss 

Is that the Street Magician guy?

A:
Hank Stuever

No, it’s the guy from “Glee.”
Source:  https://live.washingtonpost.com/tv-chat-1400000104.html?clsrd

via acsversace-news

Jhett Tolentino is very interesting.  He is a Broadway producer and won 3 Tony awards, for co-producing “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” (Best Musical), “A Raisin in the Sun” (Best Revival of a Play, which stars Denzel Washington) and last year, “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike” (Best Play).  Source:  http://entertainment.inquirer.net/148382/third-filipino-tony-winner-from-humble-roots

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p21birvdHe1wpi2k2o1_1280
jhett_tolentino: 6 years ago today. @darrencriss’ Broadway debut in “How To Succeed in Business without Really Trying”.
-
#Broadway #NewYork #NYC #Manhattan#BroadwayDebut #Pinoy #ProudPinoy #PinoyPride

This is well done.  I love all the images of  Cunanan, Versace, Donatella, reflected in the sun glasses (beginning with the image of Cunanan sneaking up on Versace, which we see repeated, and the "V" for Versace), with the glasses becoming cracked and broken, and how at the end, all you see are Cunanan's scary eyes.   wha?    So it premieres somewhere on Canal FX Latino on January 18.  I wonder where?

canalfx.latino: ¿Qué pasaba en la cabeza de Andrew Cunanan? Muy pronto vas a entenderlo.  #ACSVersaceEnFX. Estreno, 18 de enero.
*What was going on inside Andrew Cunanan’s head? Pretty soon you’ll understand. #Acsversaceenfx. Premiere, January 18

via dcriss-archive

-

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

Rachel Syme is a writer.   Jackson McHenry's comment is funny. :amused
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p224p1WUcL1ubd9qxo1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p224p1WUcL1ubd9qxo2_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p224p1WUcL1ubd9qxo3_540

Jackson McHenry is an Associate Editor at vulture.com and a co-author of this article.

Source

New York Post wrote:
‘Versace’ miniseries is the first great show of 2018

January 4, 2008

[TV Review:]  AMERICAN CRIME STORY:  THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE Wednesday, Jan. 17, 10 p.m., FX

The second installment of Ryan Murphy’s “American Crime Story” franchise is the tragic tale of a globally famous gay talent and an obscure gay parasite.

Based on Maureen Orth’s “Vulgar Favors,” “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is also a glamorous and frightening portrait of a certain kind of modern monster — the entitled kept boy who snaps when he loses the keys to what he imagined was his kingdom.

In her book, Orth describes Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss) — who shot Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramirez) at point-blank range on the steps of his Miami villa in July 1997 — as a “narcissistic nightmare of vainglorious self-absorption, a practiced and pathological liar who … was clever enough to pull off his deceptions.”

The nine episodes of Murphy’s series, all carefully crafted by British screenwriter Tom Robb Smith (“London Spy”), track the disintegration of a spoiled child who demanded the maximum payoff for the most minimal effort — and, unable to develop any real relationships with his peers, cruelly targeted older, wealthy gay men who were willing to satisfy his endless needs.

Smith tells his story in reverse, heightening the central mystery of how a scruffy drifter with a baseball cap, backpack and gun approached Versace as he was returning from a stroll to a neighborhood cafe. Was this a random shooting, or did the younger Cunanan know the celebrated Italian fashion designer, recovering from illnesses brought on by a suppressed diagnosis of HIV? Cunanan, already infamous after landing on the FBI’s Most Wanted list following a spree that left four men, including two of his friends, dead, was bumming around Miami for two months to the apparent indifference of the local police. He then killed one last time.

As the mystery unfolds, Murphy, who directs the pilot, and Smith invite us to witness the extremes of gay culture in the 1980s and 1990s. We meet Versace’s boyfriend Antonio D’Amico (Ricky Martin), and Cunanan’s companions (and ultimate victims), former naval officer Jeff Trail (an excellent Finn Wittrock) and rising young architect David Madson (Cody Fern). We get glimpses of the Versace fashion empire with his unimaginative, controlling sister Donatella (Penelope Cruz) watching enviously as her brother silences his detractors with one ravishing creation after another. And we get a ringside seat at the twisted Cunanan home in San Diego, where Andrew’s con-man father, Pete (future Emmy winner Jon Jon Briones), sold the family home from under his wife and four children before fleeing the country on an embezzlement charge. All the tools Andrew needed to embark on his trajectory of murder and menace he learned at his father’s feet.

The performances of the leads are outstanding, but special mention must be made of Criss, who beautifully captures Cunanan’s ability to tell the biggest lies anyone has ever heard and literally charm the pants off anyone he sets his sights on. He’s a lot like Patricia Highsmith’s Mr. Ripley, but Ripley was a fictional creation. Cunanan, who committed suicide after murdering Versace, was sadly all-too-real.

Murphy’s ability to showcase well-known performers in surprising cameos continues apace with gems from Mike Farrell, Max Greenfield and even Cathy Moriarty as a wily pawnshop owner.

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is more personal and heartfelt than Murphy’s “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” and proves that when it comes to seductive allure laced with menace, no one in TV is Murphy’s match.
Source:  https://nypost.com/2018/01/04/versace-miniseries-is-the-first-great-show-of-2018/

From dcriss-archive:

As I mentioned before, Darren does so well in the way he transitions his facial expressions in this scene: 

ACSFX: Did he fit the profile? #ACSVersace premieres 1/17, only on @fxnetworks. @DarrenCriss

via dcriss-archive

You can see the transitions better in this gif:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1fazpIADw1wltyz3o1_r1_250  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1fazpIADw1wltyz3o2_250
darrencrissdaily:

Florida Department of Law Enforcement are currently looking for Andrew Cunanan. He’s expected to be extremely dangerous and armed at this time.

via ihavelosttheabilitytoeven

And you can see the transitions even better in this gif set:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p0vj18Tm3V1sczt3wo3_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p0vj18Tm3V1sczt3wo5_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p0vj18Tm3V1sczt3wo1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p0vj18Tm3V1sczt3wo2_r1_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p0vj18Tm3V1sczt3wo4_540
na-page:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story | Season 2: License Preview | FX

via jenndesq

Source: na-page

From acsversace-news:

More tweets.  The tweet which comments on the format/style is also interesting.  As stated earlier Rachel Syme is a writer.  Also, Yohana Desta is a Hollywood writer for Vanity Fair.  Matt Brennan is TV Editor for Paste Magazine.
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p1zyodD6B51wcyxsbo4_r2_1280

-

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I wish both of you a quick recovery : it's gonna be ok

Canal+ is indeed a French channel.

Thanks Jeremy!

Poppy wrote:Thanks so much, Lin.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 3308115737  Oh my, I'm so sorry about your injury, Lin.  I hope it's not too much skin.  I've done that before.  I hate it when I hurt myself in the kitchen.  Cooking is dangerous!  Whatever you do, do not buy a mandoline.  I knew someone who used it without the guard and he literally cut a chunk of the tip of his finger off.  Poor man was uninsured, so he didn't go to the doctor, but at the very next opportunity, he signed up for the Affordable Care Act.   Sorry, I'm digressing.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Icon_redface  I'm guessing you hurt  it on the knuckle?   Keep it loosely bandaged in the day if you are using that hand to prevent it from getting re-hurt.    I hope it heals soon, Lin.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 2687842340
I'm okay, it's just so silly and annoying. No Thanks for your advice! I had to google what a mandoline is, but yes, I'll be staying far away from those medieval torture devices.  scared

Poppy wrote:Thanks for the info, Lin.  I think I will keep a log of  the release dates for the various countries and the channels when I find out.  Lin, on what channel will folks in Germany be able to see Versace?   And what is the release date?   Thanks so much!
January 29 on Sky Atlantic!

Poppy wrote:Nicely said, Ryan.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 3308115737 One tiny correction:  I think the writer meant when Ryan saw Darren in the Hedwig and the Angry Inch (tour) production in Los Angeles, unless anyone knows that Ryan did see Darren in Hedwig on Broadway?

Maybe he also saw Darren on Broadway and no one noticed him? I had wondered about this before because Ryan sent the other producers to see him in LA despite only seeing the show on the very last day himself. And when Darren guest starred on AHS, Ryan said "The thing with Darren is he left Glee and went off to Hedwig, and it was such a sensation and he was so great", which does sound like he had seen it at this point - but then if you read the rest of the quote, what he's saying about the AHS role being "incredibly sexualized and violent" doesn't make any sense with what was seen on screen (it sounds much more like the Andrew Cunanan role actually), so I just never put too much weight into anything he says because he always seems to have lots of different things going on in his head. Who knows!

That throwback post to H2$ is very appropriate because I was just thinking I could write a book on How To Watch Darren Succeed Without Really Crying (just maybe tearing up a tiny little bit)
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Latest?cb=20130812222319

I'm ignoring the awards talk because that depends on so many other factors like competition etc, but reading all this praise Darren has been getting is putting a big smile on my face. heart And it's only just starting! :cry

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Jeremy wrote:I wish both of you a quick recovery The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 2687842340

Canal+ is indeed a French channel.

Thanks Jeremy!  I'm taking another turn for the worse, so I'm off later today to my second doctor appointment.  mad   But I appreciate your well wishes!   :hug 

Thanks for confirming Canal + is a French channel.

Lin wrote:I'm okay, it's just so silly and annoying. The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Kopfschuettel Thanks for your advice! I had to google what a mandoline is, but yes, I'll be staying far away from those medieval torture devices.  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 415352165
I feel the same way when I hurt myself in the kitchen.  But it's never silly when you hurt yourself.  Hope you heal soon, Lin.  You're welcome.  :happy face   Yes, mandelines are evil medieval torture devices.  Those blades are super sharp.  Thanks for answering my question Lin.

So this is what has been announced:

Germany
January 29 on Sky Atlantic

United Kingdom

(no date) On BBC Two 

France
(no date) On Canal +

Unknown Country

January 18 On Canal FX Latino

Lin wrote:
Maybe he also saw Darren on Broadway and no one noticed him? I had wondered about this before because Ryan sent the other producers to see him in LA despite only seeing the show on the very last day himself. And when Darren guest starred on AHS, Ryan said "The thing with Darren is he left Glee and went off to Hedwig, and it was such a sensation and he was so great", which does sound like he had seen it at this point - but then if you read the rest of the quote, what he's saying about the AHS role being "incredibly sexualized and violent" doesn't make any sense with what was seen on screen (it sounds much more like the Andrew Cunanan role actually), so I just never put too much weight into anything he says because he always seems to have lots of different things going on in his head. Who knows!
Yes, it's totally possible Ryan did see Darren in Hedwig on Broadway, but no one noticed him.  Yup, that part where Ryan talked about how great Darren was in Hedwig on Broadway confused me.  I just assumed his comment was based on reviews he read or talking with Jane Lynch, who did go see Darren  in Hedwig on Broadway.  Yes, Ryan is like Darren, they both seem to favor juggling a lot of various projects at once.  haha.  You're funny, Lin.  I get what you're saying.  :amused

Clever:  "How To Watch Darren Succeed Without Really Crying."  I like that Darren is not afraid to show his emotions.  heart

I'm also trying to not put much weight on all the awards talk too.  As you said there are so many issues, who the competition is, how hard a network or an actor campaigns, whether that actor or the competing actors have not previously been awarded for a good performance (or performances) or a lengthy career,  whether a particular show carries a theme that has more political significance this season.  I'm sure I'm forgetting other factors.   

But as you said Lin, it sure feels nice to see  all the praise being given for our boy (as well as the praise for Ryan and the rest of the cast).   :happy face

-

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Winter TCA Press Tour (January 5, 2018) Los Angeles

A few things before the posts of Darren at the TCA Wiinter Press Tour:

From dcriss-archive:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23sa7mkpa1wpi2k2o1_540
Link

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23q1sX5Hd1wpi2k2o1_1280

ashleypweston: And the team is back!! @DarrenCriss x @VanityFair heart Can’t wait for y’all to see what’s up our sleeves for the upcoming ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ press tour hands in the air #AWerk #DarrenCriss #VanityFair #ACSVersace

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23px0XKJB1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Ashley Weston’s Instagram Story (January 5th, 2018)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23n9eSAT01wpi2k2o1_1280

kmannmakeup: Darren Criss for Vanity Fair #photographed by @aspictures #styling @ashleypweston #grooming by me #kindramannmakeup @tmgla #versaceamericancrimestory #darrencriss

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23h00LwIP1wpi2k2o1_1280
ACSFX: Two walks of life led to one unspeakable moment. From Executive Producer Ryan Murphy, #ACSVersace premieres 1/17, only on FX. @DarrenCriss @edgarramirez25

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23e0kDZmt1wpi2k2o1_1280
CanalFX_la: Versace fue su víctima más conocida. Pero no fue la única. @DarrenCriss es Andrew Cunanan en #ACSVersaceEnFX. Estreno, 18 de enero.

*Versace was his most famous victim. But it was not the only one. @DarrenCriss is Andrew Cunanan in #ACSVersaceEnFX. Premiere, January 18.

Via American Crime Story FX’s Instagram Story (January 5th, 2018)

via dcriss-archive

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23w8bxeXB1wpi2k2o1_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23w8bxeXB1wpi2k2o2_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23w8bxeXB1wpi2k2o4_540
[LQ] Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Ricky Martin and Maureen Orth attend the 2018 Winter TCA Tour FX Starwalk held at The Langham Huntington on January 5 2018 in Pasadena California

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23rcpfWyE1wpi2k2o1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23rcpfWyE1wpi2k2o2_1280
Via fxnetworks’ Instagram Story (January 5th, 2018)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23ptace7P1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via hanicmakeup Instagram Story (January 5th, 2018)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23m3zybxl1wpi2k2o1_1280

From Darren Criss Army

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23oo4U2bj1ubd9qxo1_1280
Photo of Darren before the ACS Versace panel at the Television Critics Association press tour event. January 5, 2018.

Source: IG story

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23xf4F9oG1ubd9qxo1_1280
Edgar, Ricky & Darren on a break

Via Ricky Martin IG story

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

Cute pics.  What are they talking about?
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p2407uOE4p1ubd9qxo1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p2407uOE4p1ubd9qxo2_540
Darren & Edgar at the ACS Versace panel at the Television Critics Association press tour. January 5, 2018.

Photo credit: Copyright WER (used with express permission)

From dcriss-archive:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p244w2BdkI1wpi2k2o1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p244w2BdkI1wpi2k2o2_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p244w2BdkI1wpi2k2o3_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p244w2BdkI1wpi2k2o4_1280

Winter TCA 2018 The Assassination of Gianni Versace Panel Masterpost (January 5th, 2018)

This is a very interesting interview.  My brain is fuzzy right now from the sinus infection, but I definitely will re-read later.
Hollywood Life wrote:
‘ACS: Versace’: Darren Criss Explains How He Was Able To Relate To Killer Andrew Cunanan

January 5, 2018

In an EXCLUSIVE chat with Darren Criss, he tells HollywoodLife how he was able to get into the mindset of Gianni Versace’s murderer, Andrew Cunanan.

Darren Criss, 30, had to find a way to make murderer Andrew Cunanan a relatable being while portraying him for The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. When HollywoodLife asked him EXCLUSIVELY at the FX’s presentation for the Television Critics Association how he was able to get into the mindset of “crazy” Andrew, he immediately corrected us by saying, “See that’s the trick right there, I don’t look at him as a crazy person. We do. But I can’t. It’s my job to not think of him that way. It makes it too simple. I guess with any character, anybody, you have to approach everything from common denominators. This is very eyeroll-y actor jabber, but you find the primary colors.”

“The very basic things that aren’t so complicated. We’re all 1’s and 0’s so the first couple 1’s and 0’s are things like, everybody knows what it feels like to want something that you’re not allowed to have, wanting to rise higher than your station,” Darren added, talking to HollywoodLife. “Then you add on the other layers of what was happening in his home life, what was happening in his social economic situation, what was happening with his own sexuality and that kind of adds the other colors. I think you start with the things that you can relate to and then you let the script and the world around you, at least the one that Ryan [Murphy] is curating, to kind of do the rest of the work. It’s not as hard as it would seem. And any time you’re doing things that seem extreme and hard to relate to, these extreme acts of violence, if you go far enough back in the 1’s and 0’s you remind yourself that these acts come from places of pain, places of hurt and places that I can relate to. I don’t relate to the execution of said emotions, but I can relate to the emotions. I’m not saying it makes it easy, by any stretch of the word, but it makes it more accessible.”

HollywoodLife pressed for more information, asking Darren what some of the more relatable aspects of Andrew’s life were for him as a person. “Well, we both went to Catholic school, that’s a big one. There’s like basic things,” Darren shared. “I think we both had a desire to stand out. His was for sort of social gain, mine was because I just didn’t want to be like everybody else. So, they were kind of routed in different places. He did something very interesting where he was the kind of kid they said would put dimes in his penny loafers. To not put pennies. And I thought, ‘Hell yeah, I would have put dimes in my penny loafers!’ Our motivations were different, but I understand the desire to not be ordinary.”

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres on January 17, 2018 on FX.

Interesting facial expressions. 
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23zj0oNG51wpi2k2o2_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23zj0oNG51wpi2k2o3_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23zj0oNG51wpi2k2o5_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 12 Tumblr_p23zj0oNG51wpi2k2o6_500
[LQ] Actor Darren Criss of Gianni Versace speaks onstage during the FOX/FX Networks portion of the 2018 Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on January 5, 2018 in Pasadena, California

From acsversace-news:

Deadline wrote:
Why Ryan Murphy & The ‘American Crime Story’ Team Tackled ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace’ – TCA

January 5, 2018

However, The Assassination of Gianni Versace is not all about Versace as it follows serial killer Andrew Cunanan and the victims he disgraced.

“It was the largest FBI fail of all-time,” asserted EP Tom Rob Smith.

“We wanted to explore between Versace and Cunanan the story of a creator, who is an authentic, honest person drawing on his history, heritage and family and creating from the inside out and another person who goes on a path of destruction because he’s on the outside without the work or the talent, and can’t tell the truth about who he is,” said EP Nina Jacobson.

“It was a political murder. This was a person who specifically went out of his way to shame and out people,” said Murphy about Cunanan, “He was having a form of payback for a life he could not live.” In addition to Versace, some of Cunanan’s victims include Chicago real estate developer Lee Miglin and architect David Madison, who actually was the murderer’s lover.

[. . . ]

After watching Darren Criss on Glee, viewers will be gobsmacked at the 180 he takes in portraying the slithery Cunanan. What’s affecting the actor is the fact that after 20 years, the real victims both on and off screen in American Crime Story have to relieve it. “That weighs heavily on me,” says the actor . . .

Commenting on the thrulines between the seasons of American Crime Story, Murphy mentioned again how the series will deconstruct major crimes that went beyond its victims and impacted society. Sexism and racism were the themes in The People v. O.J. Simpson which still were pertinent to today. In Versace “the homophobia of the day is topical” mentioned Murphy were as his next iteration of American Crime Story, Katrina tackles the medical conditions and global warming in our country and when they collide “who has the right to decide who lives and dies,” said Murphy.

Said Murphy, “Every season of this show will have a different tonality.”

Variety wrote:
‘Assassination of Gianni Versace’ Team on Exploring ‘What Went Wrong’ That Made Andrew Cunanan Kill

January 5, 2018

While Simpson pointed out that Versace is a “thread that goes all the way through” all nine episodes, the show is designed to be an ensemble, and they wanted to pay respect to all of Cunanan’s victims, including Lee Miglin (Mike Farrell), David Madson (Cody Fern) and Jeffrey Trail (Finn Wittrock). “Each victims were tragic in their own way,” he said.

Although the show follows Cunanan as he dips in and out of these other men’s lives (and ultimately takes their lives), Simpson noted they didn’t want to put his name in the title because it felt like it would have been “elevating him to a place we didn’t want to put him.”

Jacobson points out the title of the series really points to the contrast between Cunanan and the high-profile victim who made him famous. “Some of the themes [in the series are] the contrasts between Cunanan and Versace in the destroyer and the curator. One character is an authentic, honest creator drawing on his heritage, his background his family… and the other goes on a path of destruction because he wants the fame without the work or the talent,” she said.

Jacobson also felt strongly that Versace did not have to die but the homophobia at the time allowed the prior victims’ cases to be mishandled or under-investigated. “Cunanan was going out clubbing right across the street from the police department. The neglect and the isolation and the ‘otherness’ in the way the police handled the deaths of gay men, with the exception of one of the victims, [made Versace’s death] a death that didn’t have to happen,” Jacobson said.

The distinction between victims is an important element not only for the way their cases were handled but also for the way the murders occurred and the motivations behind them, per Smith. “When Andrew’s life fell apart, he murdered his closest friend and his lover, but those murders are different from Lee Miglin and Gianni Versace,” he said. “Once he crossed the line and became a killer, he began to kill to pursue ideas.”

Those ideas, according to Murphy, included targeting people “specifically to shame them and out them and have a form of payback for a life that he felt he could not live.” And Smith was adamant about calling Cunanan a “spree killer” whose pathology more closely mirrored terrorism than that of a “serial killer.”

“This is someone who had a [great] education and was brilliant and was witty and had the world at his feet. Why does this person end up killing five people? You have to explore the intellect. You have to explore what went wrong,” Smith said, noting that Cunanan was a man who felt invisible who was desperate to find a way to be seen.

“Once he realizes he lost everything, either you build something that impresses someone which takes a lot of work, or if you don’t want anonymity, you can try to rip something down,” Smith continued. “Andrew ripped down the success of Lee Miglin and Versace.”

Orth, as well, felt Cunanan’s desperation was what drove him — and ultimately what doomed him. “He was willing to kill to become famous. Now you can be an Instagram star or a YouTube star. If he had been born later, maybe that’s what he would have gone for, but he wanted to be famous that he was willing to kill for it,” Orth said.

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” premieres Jan. 17 at 10pm on FX.
Source:  http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/american-crime-story-versace-andrew-cunanan-terrorist-1202654859/

-

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum