Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
Seeing a gun in the hands of someone like Darren is funny :amused

I'm not a fan of the clothes, though wha?

Poppy wrote:This looks like Darren during a break, having a conversation with a little squirrel.  Very cute

Why haven't you posted the picture in the threads Fan experiences ? angel

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Jeremy wrote:
Why haven't you posted the picture in the threads Fan experiences ?

ha!  Darren can be charming, but I have a feeling that little squirrel was more interested in any snacks Darren could provide.  :happy face

Nineties clothes are not your thing, Jeremy? :amused

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Put pics in spoiler tags due to violence.

Spoiler:

OkMagazine wrote:
In Cold Blood! Darren Criss In 'American Crime Story' Is So Freaky, You Won't Recognize Him

Darren Criss is taking on his most disturbing role yet. In The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, the former Glee star plays Andrew Cunanan, the serial killer who gunned down fashion designer Gianni Versace at his Miami beach mansion in 1997. The role requires Darren to transform from his likable, show tune-singing self into a grisly murderer — Andrew was on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list for killing five men in just three months before ultimately killing Versace as well. And in these latest pics from the set, Darren looks eerily similar to the frightening criminal!

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
-

ricky_martin: Ready for another week working with this gang. Great days ahead. #ACSVersace

edgarramirez25: Ready for another week working with this gang. Great days ahead. #ACSVersace #versace • Listo para otra semana de trabajo con esta pandilla. Grandes días por delante. #ACSVersace #repost from my blood brother • #repost de mi hermano de sangre @ricky_martin

May 15, 2017

via dailydarrennews

fallenjunkie:

nelsoncragg: Dusk dinner in Miami with our amazing Versace cast and creators!!!!

sarastelwagen: Current vibe courtesy of our Gianni

May 13, 2017

Note: Nelson Cragg is a Director and DP on ACS Versace.  Sara Stelwagen is Ryan Murphy’s assistant (gleekto)

What a beautiful restaurant and view.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
More pics of Darren filming.  :happy face  Looks like he was filming in L.A. now.  I'll post a a couple of pics.  More pics at dailydarrennews and Just Jared.

[HQ] Darren on set of American Crime Story: Versace - May 23, 2017 | Source

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
New pics of Darren filming and on a break on the Versace set.

A few pics from dcriss-archive (go to endlesslyklaine for more pics):

endlesslyklaine

47 UHQ] Pictures of Darren Criss on the set of ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ on May, 31th.

June 1, 2017

More pics of Darren on the set May 31, 2017.

Darren filming American Crime Story: Versace (May 31st, 2017)
Source (Just Jared)

via dcriss-archive

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From Darren Criss Army:

eonline wrote:

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: How the Cast Compares to Their Real-Life Counterparts

June 2, 2017

With production underway in Miami Beach, including at the very mansion where Versace was murdered by serial killer Andrew Cunanan, photos of the stars in costume have started to surface, and their resemblance to their real-life counterparts is rather uncanny and a little chilling.

DARREN CRISS AS ANDREW CUNANAN

The Glee fan-favorite, who also made a guest appearance on American Horror Story" Hotel, will take on the role of Andrew Cunanan, the serial killer and sociopath, whose killing spree ended after Versace became his fifth and final victim. Nine days after murdering the designer in 1997, Cunanan, then 27, killed himself just as the Miami police moved in to capture him.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
FRom Dcriss-Archive:

I'll post a few pics.  For more pics go to dcriss-archive.

endlesslyklaine:
  [UHQ] Darren Criss on the set of ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ on June, 6th.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Well, this is good news.  It looks like The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story has been moved up to be the second season of American Crime Story, instead of the third season!

So Versace will be aired early 2018, and Katrina:  American Crime Story, as the third season of ACS, will be shown late 2018.    This is great because, now we can see Versace earlier, and because now Versace directly follows the critically acclaimed first season of American Crime Story ( People v. O.J. Simpson).

The Hollywood reporter article notes that the first 2 episodes of Versace already have been completed. 

From dcriss-archive:

Hollywood Reporter wrote:
'Katrina' Delayed as 'Versace' Will Air as Next 'American Crime Story' on FX

June 13, 2017

There's a change in plans for FX critical darling American Crime Story.

Katrina: American Crime Story, starring Annette Bening, has been delayed and will now air in late 2018 with production beginning early next year on what will be the third cycle of the Ryan Murphy anthology. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story will become the second season of the franchise and air in the early part of 2018 as the follow-up to Emmy darling The People v. O.J. Simpson.

The change in plans comes as Katrina — based on Douglas Brinkley's book The Great Deluge — requires additional time to create special water effects needed to re-create Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. Scheduling for the star-studded cast — which also includes returning players Sarah Paulson, Cuba Gooding Jr., Courtney B. Vance as well as franchise newbies Matthew Broderick and Dennis Quaid — is also said to have been a factor in the delay.

[. . . ]

People V. O.J. scored nine Emmy wins and an FX-best 13.9 million viewers per episode. Murphy and fellow exec producers Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk and Tom Rob Smith exec producing Versace. The second season is being written by Smith with Murphy directing the series premiere of the Fox 21 and FX Productions drama.

[ . . . ]

Versace, meanwhile, started production in April in Miami with the first two episodes already completed. The season, based on Maureen Orth's book Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U.S. History, will explore the July 1997 assassination of legendary designer Gianni Versace (Ramirez). His killer, Andrew Cunanan (Criss), committed suicide eight days later as Miami Dade police were on the verge of capturing the serial killer behind five slayings. Oscar winner Cruz stars as Donatella Versace, the sister of the slain fashion designer, who took over the company following his death.

EW wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace is now officially FX's next American Crime Story

June 13, 2017

There’s been a minor twist in FX’s American Crime Story franchise: The Assassination of Gianni Versace, which was originally slated to be the third installment of the series, will now premiere in early 2018. This means that it will bump Katrina, which had been previously announced as the follow-up to last year’s phenomenon The People v. O.J. Simpson.

Versace, which is currently in production, tells the story of the titular designer, played by Edgar Ramirez, and the serial killer, Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss), who gunned him down outside Versace’s mansion in Miami. Penelope Cruz plays Versace’s sister Donatella (seen in EW’s exclusive image below) and Ricky Martin is Versace’s long-term boyfriend, Antonio D’Amico.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
SPOILER:

Filming on set.

Spoiler:

Video of Darren filming American Crime Story | Source

via dcriss-archive

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
Wasn't Katrina supposed to air this fall and Versace in early 2018 ? oh

Anyway, it's good news that Versace is the second season. We are now sure that the season will get quite a lot of media attention, as it comes just after the successful first part of the show.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I thought, but could be wrong, that Katrina was supposed to air early 2018 and Versace in late 2018.

Jeremy wrote:Anyway, it's good news that Versace is the second season. We are now sure that the season will get quite a lot of media attention, as it comes just after the successful first part of the show.

Yup, I agree!

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards (MMVA), Canada.  June 18, 2017.

From dcriss-archive:

Darren Criss wrote:I think it was Glee, was my audition. So it was a six year audition process where he’s like, ok, you’re cool. No, actually, I owe Ryan Murphy a big debt of gratitude. He and I have been talking about this project for many years, and he kept to his word, so hopefully I can do it some kind of justice.
Darren Criss answers, “What was the [American Crime Story] audition like?” [x] (via jenndesq)

From ETCanada video (http://etcanada.com/video/970794051818/darren-criss-talks-nudity-ryan-murphy-at-the-2017-mmvas/?sf89794657=1 )

Note:  Darren said it's a dream team, that they have their own take on what happened, and that it has an incredible cast.  He said he loves going to work everyday.  So happy for him.  Thank you, Ryan Murphy, for your support of and faith in Darren. 

This is the part where he talks about Versace.  The audio is very clear.

ysbnow: .@DarrenCriss on his new role in #AmericanCrimeStory on the #MMVAs.

via dcriss-archive

Darren said that he is honored to be a part of the project, and that he is inspired by such talented cast members.  The part in the longer video where he speaks highly of Ryan Murphy, is cut off in this shorter video. 

Here is the longer video.  Point 2:20.

Darren Criss backstage at iHeartRadio Canada MMVAs (June 18th, 2017) | Facebook Live

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
FRom dcriss-archive:

I'm surprised they are already marketing the show, but I'm not complaiining! 

Versace: American Crime Story: BTS Of Highly Anticipated Series | Cover Shoot | Entertainment Weekly | Article

Love this!

ricky_martin:

via dcriss-archive

edgarramirez25: The House of #Versace is back! Enjoy our first official look on the cover of @EW at Casa Casuarina in #SouthBeach

First look at The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story | Source

via dcriss-archive

Source: ew.com

via dcriss-archive

EW wrote:

How Ryan Murphy Plans to top 'People v. O.J. Simpson' Phenomenon with 'Gianni Versace'

June 21, 2017
How do you top a phenomenon like last year’s The People v. O.J. Simpson? Opulence, sex and Ricky Martin, naturally. Those are just a few of the elements viewers can expect whenThe Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres in early 2018, focusing on the tragic killing of the fashion titan (Martin plays his long-time love Antonio D’Amico). FX’s follow-up to Simpson, featuring the same team of executive producers including Ryan Murphy, Brad Simpson and Nina Jacobson, won’t premiere for months but EW was exclusively on the set in May as the cast shot in Versace’s former home, Casa Casuarina. “It was very moving, sometimes disturbing,” says Penelope Cruz, who plays Gianni’s sister Donatella, of shooting in the house. “We all felt a very powerful energy. It just made me have more passion to tell this story.”

On July 15, 1997, Gianni Versace had left to go on his regular run to Miami Beach’s News Cafe. As he returned home and was opening his front gate, Andrew Cunanan, a sociopath who had become fixated on the designer after reportedly meeting him years earlier, walked up behind Versace and shot him twice in the head. The openly gay Versace was one of the most exciting and provocative designers of the moment, famous for his bold skin-baring designs. “Gianni was a disrupter,” says Edgar Ramírez (Joy), who plays the colorful figure. “He was doing things at the time that no one else was doing. He had this rock-star vision of couture and was the master of combining fashion, celebrity, and fame in a way that had never been combined before.” But his future was snuffed out by Cunanan (Glee’s Darren Criss), an intelligent, handsome, and highly disturbed young man from San Diego. Versace, based on the book Vulgar Favors by Maureen Orth, hopes to show how these two men’s paths crossed and ended so violently. “Here are two men from comparable backgrounds that had all kinds of similarities,” explains writer Tom Rob Smith (London Spy). “They came from parents who were striving but not wealthy. They had the Italian-heritage connection. This feeling of being an outsider. The sexuality connection. Why does one go on to become this incredible creator and great life force? And the other young man ends up destroying so much?”

The tale haunted Murphy, who pitched doing it even before Simpsonaired. “I kept going back to Versace because it was different from O.J.tonally,” says the executive producer, sitting on the back patio of Casa Casuarina. “It was a manhunt and it takes place all over the country.” And just as the O.J. Simpson trial was a lens through which to examine racism, Murphy sees the Versace murder as a chance to do the same with sexuality and homophobia in the ’90s. “The more I had read about it, the more I was startled by the fact that Cunanan really was only allowed to get away with it because of homophobia,” says Murphy. “There was this great apathy about it, and I think part of that was because it seemed like gay people were disposable in our culture.”

The ACS team now not only has to live up the legacy of Simpson‘s success but also a glut of other true-crime scripted series. “I would only feel pressure if we were doing, like, the Menendez trial,” says ­Murphy. “But this is so dramatically different, and it’s about fashion and celebrity. Everything feels like you’re jumping off a diving board for the first time because there’s no template.” In this week’s cover story, EW has your exclusive deep dive on how Murphy brought together an Oscar winner, aGlee favorite, and a music superstar for one of 2018’s most anticipatedtelevision events.

haha!  I had no idea this happened.  So funny!  :amused   Way to go, Darren!
BroadwayBuzz wrote:

Darren Criss Made Out with His American Crime Story Producer During Hedwig

June 21, 2017

Now that’s how you get the part! Everybody is talking about Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Ricky Martin and Penelope Cruz’s splashy new Entertainment Weekly cover for American Crime Story, but our attention is on a hilarious anecdote about Criss and executive producer Brad Simpson’s, erm, close encounter during his stint in Broadway’s Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway.

“Once every night he jumps into somebody’s lap and makes out with them,” said Simpson. “In the middle of the show, he jumps in the audience and rips my glasses off and makes out with me. It was very charming and a very Cunanan thing to do, to be a little devilish.”

Criss jokes: “I casting-couched the s— outta that!”

A spontaneous lip-lock resulting in us getting to watch Criss star in an ultra-addicting Ryan Murphy series? This is a win all around.

As previously announced, Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner Darren Criss is slated to star as twisted serial killer Andrew Cunanan in the next highly anticipated season of FX's American Crime Story. This installment of mastermind Ryan Murphy's anthology series, which will dive into the murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace, is scheduled to air early next year.

EW wrote:

'American Horror Story' Star Finn Wittrock Joining 'Assassination of Gianni Versace'

June 21, 2017

Wittrock will play Jeff Trail, a friend of Andrew Cunanan but also the serial killer’s first victim. Cunanan is played by Darren Criss (Glee).

xx

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
Nice update.

The photo shoot is glamour. I guess it was just for the magazine, as the first season wasn't in that tone.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I wonder if this season may have more glamour than season 1, since it will include fashion.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
EW wrote:
Darren Criss on going from a Warbler on Glee to a killer in The Assassination of Gianni Versace

June 23, 2017

Ryan Murphy was adamant that Darren Criss — best known for his five seasons on Murphy’s Glee as sweet, bow-tied Blaine — play the Andrew Cunanan, the twisted serial killer in The Assassination of Gianni Versace. A Talented Mr. Ripley-type character, Cunanan charmed his way into wealthy circles before his violent break; he’s far from a one-note monster.

It’s unquestionably the biggest and most challenging role of Criss’ career so far. “Actors are only as good as the parts they get. You can only be as good as those moments you get,” Criss says. “This is one of those ship-coming-in moments where Ryan has really given me this massive opportunity, and I’d like to think I am up for the challenge. There’s zero anxiety.”

It’s a definite about-face from the squeaky clean Blaine, but Criss says he treats all roles with equal intensity. “I don’t like quantifying one [role is] harder or easier or funner or more significant than other characters,” says the 30-year-old. “Blaine, by comparison, could be put into a cartoonish box. The very patter of Glee exists in a different world than the one we’re dealing with. But all the same, I treat that silly hairdo and the clothes he wore and the way that he spoke and the things he believed in with the same currency that I treat someone like Andrew, who was a real person and had real friends and family.”

To sell his creative team on his vision, Murphy sent Smith and executive producer Brad Simpson to see Criss in the touring production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. “Once every night he jumps into somebody’s lap and makes out with them,” says Simpson. “In the middle of the show, he jumps in the audience and rips my glasses off and makes out with me. It was very charming and a very Cunanan thing to do, to be a little devilish. Cunanan charmed people and then turned them off. We’re talking about a serial killer people liked.” Criss jokes: “I casting-couched the s— outta that! In my defense, I didn’t know it was Brad Simpson. I’m glad I didn’t know.”

via DarrenCrissArmy

Sorry the video is so small. I couldn't figure out within the code of how to enlarge it. scratch  But the video s fairly clear when you enlarge it.  :happy face

I really enjoyed reading this article.  I didn't know, that Ryan Murphy specifically  had in mind Darren when Ryan was thinking of the casting, thinking of who would play Andrew Cunanan.  It really warms my heart that Ryan not just envisioned Darren in particular for this role of Andrew Cunanan, but in addition, that Ryan went through so much effort to ensure that the producers would be on board with Darren in the role.  Ryan sent the producers to see Darren in the Hedwig and the Angry Inch tour (I'm assuming in Los Angeles).  That tour was a blessing in many ways, then, for Darren!   The last paragraph of the article made me smile, about how Versace executive producer Brad Simpson found Darren's kiss (Darren as Hedwig) to be charming and devilish, very Cunanan-like. 

Interesting quote from Mr. Simpson:  "We’re talking about a serial killer [that] people liked."  We are getting a glimpse of who Andrew Cunanan was.  Quote from the writer of the article:   "A Talented Mr. Ripley-type character, Cunanan charmed his way into wealthy circles before his violent break; he's far from a one-note monster." 

Nice of Darren to show how humble he is, when he said he is thankful for Ryan gifting him with this huge opportunity.  (But hmmm.  Maybe an overstatement to say he has "zero" anxiety.  I watched season 1 of American Crime Story recently with my hubby, and man, the acting was fantastic.  This is a big project.  It comes across a bit over-confident to say "zero" anxiety--even seasoned actors express some anxiety about big roles they get--but I get his point about being confident in his abilities.  I also have faith in you, Darren, especially after seeing you 4 times in Hedwig!)

It definitely sounds like the Darren who we know and love when he said he treats all his roles with equal intensity.  Darren gives it his all for all his acting roles.  I love that about him.  Great work ethic.   A lot of thought and preparation goes into how he shapes the characters he plays.  Despite how cartoonish Blaine was in some ways--his gelmet, his dramatic nature sometimes, his style of clothes--despite all of that, Blaine felt very real to me.  The way that Darren played Blaine . . . who Blaine was as a character, his essence, actually reminded me of someone I love very much. 

So looking forward to Versace!  Can't wait!

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From DarrenCrissArmy:

‘American Crime Story’: New 'Versace’ Installment Details | Access Hollywood

First Look at FX’s “Versace: American Crime Story”

From dcriss-archive:

Aw, so nice of Lea Salonga

BTS photo of the EW’s cover | Source

via dcriss-archive

entertainmentweekly: Go inside the next, highly-anticipated installment of @AmericanCrimeStoryFX! #PenelopeCruz#Ricky Martin, #DarrenCriss and #EdgarRamírez take you behind the scenes of the series. #ACSVersace #ACSFX

via dcriss-archive

gleekto:
The EW issue is worth buying, but here’s some details about the Versace production from it that I haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere.

Spoilers follow.

- Ricky and Edgar have already shot a sex scene.
- Versace was reportedly HIV-positive and the production is going to treat this as truth.
- Donatella’s biggest concern about the project was her children being depicted, so they removed that element.
- There will be nine episodes, instead of ten like OJ had.
- Instead of a standard writers’ room, Tom Rob Smith is expected to craft all nine episodes.
- OJ had a linear narrative, but Versace will cut back and forth between 1997 and Versace’s and Cunanan’s pasts.
- “There’s a propulsive thriller energy to the episodes, as well as heavy doses of family politics and glamour.”
- Giorgio Armani will appear but has yet to be cast.
- Edgar Ramirez: “It’s a very dramatic story. It’s a story about family. It’s a story about fate. In a way it’s very classic - it’s almost like a Greek tragedy.”
Gleekto says:
Thank you for this submission. Cool things.
via dcriss-archive

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
I'm late, but I'm so excited about the promo stuff! I agree it seems early, but I guess they wanted to remind people that the show still exists, since it'll be such a long gap between S1 and S2. Such a relief that they swapped the seasons and cut the wait in half for us! celebrate

Poppy wrote:I wonder if this season may have more glamour than season 1, since it will include fashion.
I think that's pretty much a given. I would love to hear what Darren had to say about it in the video at the link below, but it doesn't seem to work... or is it just geoblocked?

etalk @etalkCTV    2d
VIDEO: @DarrenCriss tells fans to not let the glamour distract them with ‘ACS: Gianni Versace’ >>> ow.ly/iDAQ30cQpIO #etalk

Poppy wrote:I really enjoyed reading this article.  I didn't know, that Ryan Murphy specifically  had in mind Darren when Ryan was thinking of the casting, thinking of who would play Andrew Cunanan.  It really warms my heart that Ryan not just envisioned Darren in particular for this role of Andrew Cunanan, but in addition, that Ryan went through so much effort to ensure that the producers would be on board with Darren in the role.
Darren did say they had been talking about this for years and that Ryan "kept his word". :happy face 
Iirc Ryan saw Hedwig on one of the last dates in LA [/edit: looked it up, it was actually closing night], so I wonder if he sent them on blind faith that Darren would be great or if he had seen him at an earlier date/on Broadway before.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lin wrote:I'm late, but I'm so excited about the promo stuff! I agree it seems early, but I guess they wanted to remind people that the show still exists, since it'll be such a long gap between S1 and S2. Such a relief that they swapped the seasons and cut the wait in half for us!

Hi Lin! Hi there! 

It's never too late!  And yes, I agree, that they may be starting the promo stuff early because of the gap between Season 1 and 2.  So glad that Versace is now season 2, instead of season 3! 

Sorry about that video, Lin.  It wouldn't work for me either. confused    But yes, given that a main focus will be on Gianni Versace, I agree it would be a given that fashion is going to be on display.  :happy face

Lin wrote:Darren did say they had been talking about this for years and that Ryan "kept his word".  
Iirc Ryan saw Hedwig on one of the last dates in LA [/edit: looked it up, it was actually closing night], so I wonder if he sent them on blind faith that Darren would be great or if he had seen him at an earlier date/on Broadway before.

Yes, I'm pretty impressed that Ryan did keep his word; he did everything he could to have Darren be cast as Andrew Cunanan.  I find it touching, to be honest.  So Ryan saw Darren in the Hedwig tour at the Pantages Theater on closing night.  Brad Falchuk, Jenna Ushkowitz, Becca Tobin, Kevin McHale, and Aristotle John went to see Darren on November 10, 2016.  

November 11, 2016

via dailydarrennews

Brad probably shared his thoughts with Ryan about Darren's performance, I would guess.  :happy face

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Very interesting interview with Darren.  :happy face

Inquirer.net wrote:

Darren Criss talks about his most challenging role to date—playing Andrew Cunanan

by Ruben V. Nepales

June 29, 2017

(First of two parts)

LOS ANGELES—In a room inside the Versace mansion in Miami, just a few steps from where Andrew Cunanan fatally shot the designer, Darren Criss was told that Ryan Murphy, who cast him in “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” paid him the supreme compliment.

Hearing that the award-winning executive producer-director cast him as Cunanan because he always knew there was a great dramatic actor in him, Darren gave a fittingly serious answer. Playing the serial killer, who murdered at least five people, is a big shift for Darren, who first worked with Ryan as Blaine Anderson in the musical TV series, “Glee.”

“Oh, how far we’ve come,” Darren quipped with a laugh. He has taken off his gray suit jacket. “Miami heat is getting to my head,” he explained.

We were in a room with walls gilded with mosaic tile work and stained glass windows, typical of the designer’s lavish home.

Like Cunanan, Darren is Filipino-American. The actor— the son of a Cebuana, Cerina (nee Bru), and Charles William Criss from Pennsylvania— noted his eerie resemblance to Cunanan. The latter’s mom (Mary Anne Schillaci) is Italian-American, while his dad, Modesto Cunanan, is Filipino.

For the actor who starred on Broadway in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” and “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” this role represents his biggest and most dramatic challenge yet.

Ryan, on a career high with his “Feud: Bette and Joan” and “The People v. OJ Simpson,” picked a fine cast to join Darren: Edgar Ramirez (Versace), Penelope Cruz (Donatella Versace) and Ricky Martin (Antonio D’Amico, Versace’s longtime lover).

The FX miniseries, which continues to shoot, debuts in early 2018.

Excerpts from our interview:

Ryan Murphy said he always knew there was a great dramatic actor in you, and he wanted people to see that in this show. How scary or daunting is that for you?
 Actors are only as good as the parts they get to play. It’s a passive art form. People will hate me for saying that because obviously, when you’re doing it, it isn’t passive. But if I’m a musician, I can pick up my guitar and play it. If there was no one in this room, I can still play my guitar. I can proactively be a musician.

I always say the best actors in the world, we’ll probably never know about. We’ll never get to see that guy do “King Lear,” that woman do “Hedda Gabler.” You have to wait for those moments.

This is a moment for me, and I recognize that. I do feel like my ship came in for this one. “Glee” was a big hit before I was on it. I had a very objective relationship with it. I was in college when it was all over the place. So, to suddenly be thrust on it was a strange but very wonderful experience.

It brings me here for which I’m unfathomably grateful. But I studied acting. I treat acting like a real craft as much as you love to roll your eyes at that little word. But it’s true. There’s no sense of entitlement. But I worked hard. I believe in doing the necessary steps to get to a certain place.

So, to be finally be given this opportunity, I feel prepared. Whether or not it’s good is a whole other story. It could be horrible, crash and burn. But it’s like that—give me the ball, coach. And Ryan certainly gave me a good throw. So I’m very excited about that.

You were 10 when Versace was killed. At what point in your life did you know about him?
 I knew Versace was killed in front of his home. I’d been here before, the first time I went to Miami. I remember looking it up, seeing the steps. This is so eerie. I vaguely remembered that he was half-Filipino. If there’s any half-Filipino in the media, you tend to pay attention to it.

I had, through the fabulous world of “Glee,” met Donatella. I had been to Versace’s home in Milan. But, that was about as far as a connection that I had.

Can you talk about filming the crucial assassination scene?
 It was gruesome. Because we were not shooting this in a sound studio in Los Angeles. This is the house—and people walking around here were there for that. We couldn’t hide it. It was in broad daylight. So, to feel that energy of this very real event, it weighed heavily on me.

When I shot it, I was thrilled because Edgar wasn’t here for that. If I had to look in Edgar’s eyes and do something like that, that would have been tough, because it weighs on your conscience.

But, as an actor, when you’re doing something like that, I’m not thinking of my conscience. As far as I’m concerned, I’m the hero in this story. That’s how I have to play it. There’s a certain longing, loss, confusion, hurt and just a f**kload of pain that is coming into an act like that.

That’s what you have to channel. It helps that we’re in paradise because we do this really gruesome stuff, then I can go home and have a cocktail on the beach. It’s like, “All right, real life is OK.”

Can you clarify why you didn’t film that scene with Edgar around?
 Only because that had to do more with the technical aspects. It’s highly technical, but the biggest meat of the shot was of me making the decision [to kill Versace] and going up [to him]. It’s giving a little bit away. So now, you know about that shot. Sorry, Ryan.

How did you research on Andrew Cunanan?
 The series is mainly based on the book of Maureen Orth, who’s an extraordinary journalist and did mind-bending work and collection of data from friends, family and all records available.

What’s interesting about this particular case is, as famous as Versace is, there’s not a whole lot of stuff [about it]. There’s only one book, at least one that’s pretty serious. The others are trashy pulp novels.

There are three different versions of Andrew that I have to deal with. There’s the real version that none of us knew. There is the version that people did know, then there’s the version that we’re telling.

As an actor, I can contact the family members or friends, but they’re all going to have different answers of who he was. My job is to serve the script. As much as I want to stay true to who Cunanan was, we really don’t know what kind of person he was. We just have to humanize him as much as possible and hope for the best.
(Conclusion tomorrow)
via dcriss-archive

I love that Ryan Murphy said that about Darren.  According to this article, Ryan "said he always knew there was a great dramatic actor in you [Darren], and he wanted people to see that in this show."   Again, very grateful that Ryan has been so supportive of Darren and has so much faith in Darren.  :thank you   heart

I love how deeply grateful Darren is for this opportunity. And I like that he clarified that he does not feel entitled to this opportunity, but yet, he feels prepared for it.  He feels that he is up to rising to the challenge. (Just a minor point:  No need for Darren to add that he may be horrible and crash and burn.)  I like the sports analogy--of Ryan passing the ball to Darren, and now that the ball is in Darren's court, he is able to convey what he can do.  Nicely said.  :happy face

Darren Criss wrote:
This is a moment for me, and I recognize that. I do feel like my ship came in for this one . . .

It brings me here for which I’m unfathomably grateful. But I studied acting. I treat acting like a real craft as much as you love to roll your eyes at that little word. But it’s true. There’s no sense of entitlement. But I worked hard. I believe in doing the necessary steps to get to a certain place.

So, to be finally be given this opportunity, I feel prepared . . . But it’s like that—give me the ball, coach. And Ryan certainly gave me a good throw. So I’m very excited about that.

This is an interesting quote, in terms of giving us some insight as to how Darren is portraying Cunanan:

Darren Criss wrote:
But, as an actor, when you’re doing something like that, I’m not thinking of my conscience. As far as I’m concerned, I’m the hero in this story. That’s how I have to play it. There’s a certain longing, loss, confusion, hurt and just a f**kload of pain that is coming into an act like that.

That’s what you have to channel.

Hmmm.  It may be a stretch to call a psychopath or sociopath--a serial killer--a "hero."  Maybe more like an anti-hero, such as in the film The Godfather.  But I understand what Darren is saying.  He said they are attempting to humanize Cunanan, to provide some depth, some context, some background, to help the audience understand what drove Cunanan to commit such horrific acts.

So interesting to learn that "the biggest meat of the shot was of me [Darren as Cunanan] making the decision [to kill Versace] and going up [to him]."   Again, the scene will give the audience some insight as to Cunanan's frame of mind, his thoughts and emotions. 

I'm also relieved to hear that Darren is doing well emotionally.  I really hope he continues to stay grounded as he films.  :happy face

nepalesruben: With @DarrenCriss on the set of #TheAssassinationOfGianniVersace: #AmericanCrimeStory, as he plays Andrew Cunanan. bit.ly/2tlYks

via dcriss-archive

Mr. Nepales has been a supporter of Darren for some time.  Very interesting interview!

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From Dcriss-archive:

Inquirer.net wrote:

Darren Criss talks about his most challenging role to date—playing Andrew Cunanan (Part 2)

by Ruben V. Nepales

June 30, 2017

(Conclusion)

I feel so strange,” admitted Darren Criss about being inside the Gianni Versace mansion in Miami one morning in May.

He plays Andrew Cunanan, who shot the designer twice in the head just outside this palatial house in July 1997, in FX’s “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story.”

“I was telling someone about how weird it was to be in this room,” the Fil-Am singer-actor shared about filming the assassination scene a few days earlier. “I was dressed as Andrew Cunanan, in the outfit that he murdered Versace in, and I was inside. I was walking around and I was taking pictures. I took a picture of the pool, and I saw myself. I was like, oh my God, I’ve got to delete this photo. It’s horrible, how irreverent, because Andrew never made it inside.”

In this part two of our column on Darren, we continue our talk about his biggest and most challenging role to date.

Excerpts:

What did you learn about Cunanan that informed your performance? The thing that we want to show in this is that we have two brilliant minds—we have Versace, the creator, and the destroyer (Cunanan). A lot of people who knew Andrew in his younger life described him as a promising, brilliant and charming young man. You go, what happened? It doesn’t follow the same blueprint of that of many serial killers, the Dahmers and the Mansons of the world. They’re off the rails from the get-go.

Whereas Andrew, it was heartbreaking for a lot of people who knew him because we show some of his friends in the series. Andrew was the godfather of the children of a friend from high school who was mortified to hear that this had happened. Because he was this caring friend and godfather.

So, he was not just an abomination. Yeah. That isn’t only on my shoulders, but in the order that we tell the story, without giving away too much. The structure of the show goes in such a way that we get to see Andrew at his worst and his absolute best. Then, it’s up to you to juxtapose those against each other.

How do you tell a story where the moral compass is clearly fixed? We can all agree this is a horrible thing. Versace was murdered on the steps of his house. We’re in this house. The first day I came in here, I got emotional thinking about it. Versace is here, the man is still alive in this house, everywhere. Coming in, seeing this and being a part of it, you go, wow, this man had everything that the man who killed him couldn’t have and wanted so badly.

I get very sad when I think of somebody like Andrew. We’ve all had these dreams of doing something great. That’s something we can relate to. It’s that sense of wanting something so bad and just being misdirected on how to get it.

Following up on that, Asian immigrant families, including Filipinos, are known to be model immigrants. What do you think about him or his family that contributed to his downfall? I don’t have any credentials in psychology and child development but, to me, after diving into what his background is, it seems a pretty textbook case, as far as what happened later in his life.

As a young man, Cunanan came from a very poor family and in one of the poorest neighborhoods in San Diego. His mother was mentally unstable, was very difficult to deal with. I don’t know what she had, but she self-medicated—a very tough situation.

His father, on the other hand, was a crook. He was embezzling people out of thousands of dollars. It was a loveless marriage, but they adored and spoiled this little boy. They gave him their master bedroom as he grew up. He was raised with this sense of entitlement from a very early age. That’s very dangerous as you get out in the world.

Narcissism involves people who think they’re pretty, but it’s more than that. It’s a psychological belief that if you believe something about yourself, it is true.

In that sense, Andrew believed that if he could say something about himself, then that’s true. And if he deserves something, he didn’t have to work for it. So, the decisions he made before the murders were unintentionally implanted by his parents. His father was caught. He sold the house and had to eventually flee to the Philippines.

This was where Andrew switched gears. He went to see his father [in the Philippines]. At this point in his life, Andrew has told a lot of lies about himself. He sometimes would totally discount his Filipino heritage. He would say he was Jewish, or that his father’s an Israeli pilot.

He went to the Philippines believing in this façade that his father was this rich pineapple plantation owner. He saw this man living in relative squalor. I think when he saw his father being everything he wasn’t, and against everything that he ever wanted, that was a point where most of us would learn from that and go, OK, you know what? I can change from this. I don’t want to be like this. I want to work hard for things.

Instead, he came back to the United States. For the rest of his life, he would make up stories. He’d blow up his own image of himself that would lead him to these grandiose acts of murder. Thinking that he’s above the law and above [the laws of] morality, because he doesn’t have to deal with the things that are real in his life.

What insights did you learn about Cunanan’s homophobia? What’s fascinating to me? This is a wonderful extension of where we all are. Not once in my entire time that I’ve been involved with this has anybody ever brought up the fact that he was gay.

I think mainly because it was eclipsed by the fact that he was a serial killer. That seems to be at the forefront of facts that people stick to. But, he was gay. I don’t think there was a homophobic bent to his series of murders. I think his homosexuality did lend him to certain scenes that he got to be a part of.

The people he dealt with and ultimately ended up murdering were people he had met through different underworlds of the gay scene in San Diego and Minneapolis. He had self-hatred. I think there were other feelings of ineptitude and being not good enough that really drove him. I don’t know how much of that had to do with him being gay. But that is a big part of our story.

It was the largest failed manhunt in FBI history. That seems like a big f***ing deal. A lot of people didn’t know about it. You have to scratch your head and you go, “Wait, so this guy killed how many people before Versace? How was he not caught?” He was on America’s most wanted list. Then, you start realizing, there’s a lot of fear and anxiety in law enforcement. And this is right after the worst part of the AIDS crisis in the mid-’90s.

You have a lot of this other stuff that’s happening that does lend itself to how this guy got away with it. That is important to mention. One thing I’ll say about “American Crime Story” that I’m truly proud to be a part of is the fact that, to me, “OJ,” the series, wasn’t just about OJ.

So, for our story yes, it’s about the horrible murder of an icon. And it’s about the journey and the downfall of the person who did it. But it’s also about everything that’s happening around—and how that echoes what we fear and deal with now.

Interesting article.   We get a lot of background on Andrew, in terms of his parents, how he was brought up, his economic status when growing up,  what he desired in life, his motives.  Darren also mentions the historical context, in terms of the AIDS crisis and the prevalent attitudes of law enforcement.

I like this quote of Darren:

So, for our story yes, it’s about the horrible murder of an icon. And it’s about the journey and the downfall of the person who did it. But it’s also about everything that’s happening around—and how that echoes what we fear and deal with now.

He mentioned the fear that some people had in the past toward the LGBTQ community, and he brought it back full circle to now, mentioning about the fear that some people have today, which is truly sad.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Jeremy*

Advanced Member I
Advanced Member I
Darren is well informed about his character.

I didn't know Cunanan was gay (I know little about the story and I prefer to learn everything by watching the show). So, it's another LGBT role for Darren !

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I was sure that Darren would read up on Cunanan.  It seems he really does put a lot of thought into the characters he plays.  :happy face

I don't blame you for not researching about Cunanan.  You will come into the ACS series with an open mind, a clean slate, with no pre-conceived notions.   (I tried to do that too, but then I succumbed to my curiosity and skimmed the Vanity Fair article by Maureen Orth.  Lack of will power.   sad face )  Yes, it is another LGBT role for Darren.

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From Darren Criss Army:

I love that Ryan said this.  His faith in Darren is heartwarming and touching.  heart heart heart 

Inquirer.net wrote:
Ryan Murphy on Andrew Cunanan, ‘Versace’ casting

by Ruben V. Nepales

July 2, 2017

Talk about why you cast Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Ricky Martin and Penelope Cruz. 

Whenever I do something like this (like “OJ”), I always have one person in mind. So, Darren was the obvious choice. I was friends with him. I wanted people to see something I saw—which was, he’s a great dramatic actor.

More interesting quotes:

Inquirer.net wrote:
In researching on the story, what did you learn about Andrew Cunanan?
We had the book that we bought and optioned, “Vulgar Favors” (by Maureen Orth). Cunanan was a mystery in many ways. The things that I was fascinated about are the creator/destroyer idea of Cunanan, and that he and Versace had the same beginning.

They came from immigrant families, and wanted to be famous.

Tragic story

Cunanan was also a tragic story. He was lied to by his parents, specifically his father, who told him they were incredibly wealthy and were almost like royalty in the Philippines.

He was treated like a celebrity in his own family. Then, it was all taken away, and he was shattered by it.

There was also sexual abuse in his family that we could never verify. He also wanted fame and fortune so desperately that when he killed the first victim, that was probably in a fit of pique and rage, he decided, well, I’ll go to jail, so I want to be famous.

Taking the life of a famous person became his fame, which is also a very American story that we see time and again.

Also, the key to this show is when you have somebody like Cunanan, who’s thought of in many circles as a monster and the person who took away Gianni Versace from us, you also have to talk about his childhood. Something along the way made him snap.

[. . . ]

How did you structure the story? For this story, the first 15 minutes involve music—opera, no dialogue, and it’s Versace restored to health, and starting his day with his staff, then walking to the News Café, intercut with Cunanan stalking him. So it starts with Versace’s murder.

What we wanted to do was tell the story backwards. So, we end with the Cunanan figure as a young man, and Versace as a young man trying to make a stab of it as a designer.

The interesting thing about this show is that there’s only violence and murder in the first four or five episodes. The last episode, of course, is of Cunanan on the houseboat and making a decision to kill himself before they can arrest him.

Ryan mentioned that it was difficult and upsetting to film, and for those who, like me, are squeamish about violence, the murder of Lee Miglin sounds especially cruel and awful.  (As someone who is squeamish about violence, it's good to know that most of the violence is in the first four or five episodes.)

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
from dcriss-archive:

Manila Bulletin wrote:
Darren Criss portrays Andrew Cunanan in ‘Versace’ movie

By Janet Nepales

July 3, 2017

Darren Criss as Andrew Cunanan in ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ with Annaleigh Ashford as Elizabeth Cote and Nico Evers-Swindell as Phil Cote (Photo by Jeff Daly/FX Networks)

Darren on the Miami set of ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ (Photo courtesy of Janet R. Nepales/HFPA)

Los Angeles – The weather in Miami was hot but Darren Criss, wearing a long-sleeved white shirt, was hotter.

The 30-year-old former “Glee” actor who portrayed Blaine Anderson, the lead singer of The Dalton Academy Warblers, has indeed gone a long way.

The Fil-Am actor, whose parents are Cerina Bru from Cebu and Charles William Criss from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, met with us one day at the late fashion designer Gianni Versace’s former home in Miami.

The charming, eloquent and talented actor talked to us about portraying the Fil-Am serial killer Andrew Cunanan who killed the famous fashion designer just outside of his Miami mansion in Ryan Murphy’s third season of his anthology series, “The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story.”

Asked what he discovered about Andrew in his research of him, Darren replied, “That’s a very loaded question, a half hour is not enough time for me to go through that. I think the main thing to remember about any character you’re playing whether they’re real or not is your job as an actor, as a storyteller. I don’t even want to make it specific to actors. This goes to anybody who is a creative person. It’s your job to find as many common denominators with that person as possible.

“It’s important, especially for me for this particular story. This is a real person who did really horrible, tragic things to real people. Their families are still affected by the things that he did. But I still maintain the idea that we all have more in common with someone like Andrew than we don’t.

“Obviously, there are big variables. I’d like to think most of us don’t have actual murderous tendencies. However, at the end of the day, we are flesh and blood. We have mothers; we have fathers; we have dreams; we have hopes; we have regrets and failures that all make us who we are. So, the short answer is I found that we really do have a lot in common and that shouldn’t be misconstrued with the things that we know him for, which are obviously these horrible acts.

“But there’s a certain point in all of our lives that could have taken us into this certain path. You really have to identify what those moments are so that as a viewer, you’re not just antagonizing this person from the get go because you know what he’s done. You have to understand how he got there and what the links are between you and that person. So I found an awful lot of those.”

Sides to a story

Darren explained further that there are three different versions of Andrew Cunanan that he has to deal with.

He said, “There is the real version that none of us knew. There is the version that people did know but even that person was like 20 different people and then there’s the version that we’re telling. So as an actor, I can try and contact these family members or friends but they’re all going to have a different answer of who he was because he had different names. He had different looks. He had different attitudes that weren’t parallel to each other. So for me, my job is to serve the script. And whoever the persons that we’ve painted in this particular version, which I’m sure people who knew Andrew will be like, he wasn’t like that. However for our story and for the way that we’re characterizing him, I have to honor what’s on the page.

“So to me, what’s on the page and what’s in the script is my leader in this, and in Ryan and in people who are creating this. I’m serving their image of this story as much as I want to stay true to who he really was. We don’t know what kind of person he was so we just have to humanize him as much as possible and hope for the best.”

Darren was just 10 years old when Versace died. So at what point in his life before this project, did he learn about Andrew, we asked.

“I knew about the Versace murder just from general world facts,” Darren revealed. “I knew Versace was killed in front of his home. I’d been here before, the first time I went to Miami. I stopped by here. And I remember looking it up going, God, seeing the steps and I can’t believe they’re still here. This is so eerie. I vaguely remembered that he was half Filipino.
“I think growing up half Filipino if there’s any half Filipino in the media you tend to pay attention to it. That was about it. I had, through the fabulous world of ‘Glee’ I had met Donatella. I had been to Versace’s home in Milan. And I had seen things about his history. But that was about as far of a connection that I had.

“I don’t know if Ryan told you the story of how this came up. He brought this up to me about two, almost three years ago. I was having lunch with him in New Orleans. And I was joking with him about ‘Horror Story’ because he just announced Lady Gaga was going to be in it. So I jokingly said, hey let me know if you need a wily bellhop to show up on that show, I’ll do it. And he was, no, but there’s this other thing that I’m thinking about doing – Andrew. I looked it up and I was kind of spooked because he looks like me and my brother.

“That was it. I didn’t think he would actually make the show. I ended up diving in pretty hard on researching the guy. I had to wipe my hands clean of it because I was, I don’t want to have to know all this stuff if I don’t need to know about it. It’s a very dark place to be in. So, cut to now, here we are and he kept up with his word.

“While it is a very gruesome and dark project, it is an exciting project to be with him and with this prestigious group of people. So that was about all I knew. I definitely sense being involved I have this profound new connection to Versace and to the story. Like I said, being in this house for the past week has been extraordinarily moving. This isn’t to be romantic or spiritual, but he’s just in the house. Everything that he’s made that we all know the iconography of Gianni Versace, it is present in every turn. So seeing that has really given me a new profound appreciation of his work and appreciation of a great creator, someone who just wanted to relentlessly wreak beauty upon the world.”

Interesting article!  We learn when Ryan first talked to Darren about the project.   I don't watch American Horror Story, so I'm not sure when Ryan announced that Lady Gaga would be in AHS, as Darren mentioned in the interview.  I did goggle it, and I'm guessing it was announced in February 2015 that Lady Gaga would be appearing in AHS.   As mentioned in another interview, Ryan did seem to have Darren in mind to play Andrew Cunanan in ACS.  Darren has mentioned in a couple of interviews that he was impressed that Ryan kept his word.  I agree!  I'm impressed (and grateful) that Ryan kept his word and cast Darren in ACS more than 2 years later.   It is so great that Darren, as he said, is working with this prestigious group of people, from Ryan to the impressive cast.  :bravo

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Interesting interviews, it's always great to get more than just some soundbites.
Poppy wrote:Interesting article!  We learn when Ryan first talked to Darren about the project.   I don't watch American Horror Story, so I'm not sure when Ryan announced that Lady Gaga would be in AHS, as Darren mentioned in the interview.  I did goggle it, and I'm guessing it was announced in February 2015 that Lady Gaga would be appearing in AHS.   As mentioned in another interview, Ryan did seem to have Darren in mind to play Andrew Cunanan in ACS.  Darren has mentioned in a couple of interviews that he was impressed that Ryan kept his word.  I agree!  I'm impressed (and grateful) that Ryan kept his word and cast Darren in ACS more than 2 years later.   It is so great that Darren, as he said, is working with this prestigious group of people, from Ryan to the impressive cast.  
He also mentioned that it was in New Orleans, Ryan was filming the Scream Queens pilot there in March/April 2015 (and Mia was doing BTS stuff for the show). That's not "almost three years", Darren! Razz But I understand that it must feel longer to him with how busy he is.
The fact that Ryan kept his word is even more surprising if you read his interviews during Glee. I don't know if he is any different "in real life", but that experience taught me to believe about 7% of the things he promises or announces. :laughing And I'm sure he has more ideas than he can possibly work on, so we're so lucky that this one is happening and that he's giving Darren this amazing opportunity. The quote about wanting people to see that he is a great dramatic actor reminded me of an old one about Darren's Glee audition:

Ryan Murphy wrote:As soon as I saw it I said "That person is a star. I want to work with him, I want to make him- I want the world to see what I see here!" video
Well done and thanks for keeping up the good work, Ryan!  applause

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Lin wrote:He also mentioned that it was in New Orleans, Ryan was filming the Scream Queens pilot there in March/April 2015 (and Mia was doing BTS stuff for the show). That's not "almost three years", Darren! But I understand that it must feel longer to him with how busy he is.

Oh yes, good point, about New Orleans and Scream Queens.  And good for Mia for doing some bts stuff for SQ. 

haha!  I was thinking the same thing, that it was closer to 2 years than to 3 years.  :amused   I agree, he's done so much since then.  It  probably felt a lot longer. 

Lin wrote:The fact that Ryan kept his word is even more surprising if you read his interviews during Glee. I don't know if he is any different "in real life", but that experience taught me to believe about 7% of the things he promises or announces. And I'm sure he has more ideas than he can possibly work on, so we're so lucky that this one is happening and that he's giving Darren this amazing opportunity.

ha!  I think Ryan got carried away when he did "spoilers" for Glee.  :amused   Ryan seems in some ways like Darren.  Both seem to like to juggle multiple projects at the same time, to keep very busy.   So I agree that Ryan probably has a lot of ideas about different projects.  Darren (and his fans) are lucky that this particular project came to fruition!  It really is an amazing opportunity for Darren to show his talent!  :bravo  That is the power of TV, to bring exposure to a wide audience.

Lin wrote:The quote about wanting people to see that he is a great dramatic actor reminded me of an old one about Darren's Glee audition:

Ryan Murphy wrote:As soon as I saw it I said "That person is a star. I want to work with him, I want to make him- I want the world to see what I see here!" video

Oh wow.  I don't remember if I saw this video.  So thanks for posting that.  So touching that Ryan said that!    I was watching that video, and just before Ryan talked about Darren, when he was talking about The Glee Project contestants, he said:  "And hopefully by the end of it, . . . I do hope they go home with at least someone saying,  'You have something great.  I see your talent.  I see you.'"    I definitely believe that Ryan felt that about Darren, especially given what Lin pointed out about what Ryan said specifically about Darren, which again, is really heartwarming.  heart  Thanks again for posting that video, Lin!

And yes, thank you so much, Ryan Murphy!  thumbs up

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dcriss-archive:

I think I will do what Darren recommended, and what Jeremy is doing, and refrain from watching.  But for those who are interested in learning more:

This Friday July 7th, 20/20 on ABC will be about Cunanan and the Versace murder. For anyone who’s interested in knowing more about Cunanan. | Source

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dcriss-archive:

‘American Crime Story: Versace’ segment on Extra (July 5th, 2017) | Source

via dcriss-archive

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum