Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 31]

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
From Darren Criss Army:



Inside Edition:  A Look Back at the Murder of Gianni Versace, 20 Years Later




From Darren Criss Army:

Inside Edition wrote:
20 Years After the Killing of Gianni Versace, New Miniseries Puts Murder Back in the Spotlight.

July 7, 2017

July 15 marks the 20th anniversary of fashion designer Gianni Versace’s assassination outside his Miami mansion, a murder that left the fashion world shaken.


The murder is the subject of the upcoming FX miniseries, American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace, which stars Penelope Cruz as his sister, Donatella, and Edgar Ramirez as the late designer.


The series also stars singer Ricky Martin and Glee's Darren Criss, and is set to air next year.


The filming of the show, produced by Ryan Murphy, took place at Versace's actual mansion.


Versace’s killer was Andrew Cunanan, a 27-year-old college dropout and petty hustler. His trail of death in 1997 stretched from Minnesota to Illinois to New Jersey.


The Italian designer was Cunanan’s next target. He was gunned down as he returned to his waterfront estate in South Beach following a morning cup of coffee.


Cunanan was found days later, hiding in a fancy Miami houseboat. He killed himself as police stormed in.

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Filming in Long Beach.  :happy face

From dcriss-archive:


Last night shooting for ACS Versace at The Silver Fox in Long Beach, CA via Zack Wysocki’s Instagram Story (July 7th, 2017)

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Ahh, man, my will power is so weak.  I saw this on dcriss-archive, so I watched almost all of it.  :cheeky I don't know 



20/20 ABC | Dying to Be Famous: The Versace Murders

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
From Darren Criss Army:




Darren’s chair on set at ACS: Versace via Ricky Rollins’ Instagram Story (Instagram.com/rockerrrick) 7/13/17

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
From Darren Criss Army and dcriss-archive:

A very interesting, very detailed interview by Ryan about The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story. 


I haven't heard of this site before, but it looks like an interesting website for the entertainment industry.  Emmanuel Levy certainly has a respectable resume. 

I really do admire Ryan's commitment to giving people in the entertainment industry, including actors, great opportunities!


EmanuelLevy wrote:
American Crime Story: Versace--Interview with Ryan Murphy

June 25, 2017

Edgar Ramirez stars as the openly gay designer, who was tragically gunned down on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion in 1997 by serial killer Andrew Cunanan, played by Darren Criss.

The limited series chronicles the bizarre murder and the manhunt for Cunanan, who targeted gay men and was responsible for five murders.

Casting Darren Criss as Cunanan

Ryan Murphy: I didn’t have to convince him at all. What I like to do is give people opportunities sometimes that they would never have. And Darren is obviously a brilliant singer and a performer and a showman and did “Glee” and has been on Broadway. When Brad Simpson and Nina Jacobson and I were first talking about this idea of doing Versace as sort of the O.J. follow-up, which was around two years ago, I immediately called Darren. Because to me he was the only one for that part. And I just said, I’m thinking about doing this, would you be interested. And he said, well yes, very much so because it’s such a great part. And I said, ok I’ll get the contracts drawn. And then it took two years because you have to write it and you have to get it green-lit. But he was always the only person I had in mind for it because I knew that he would push himself because he was so hungry to prove himself in a different way. And it’s a truly insane dramatic part. And he really wanted to go there. So he was the only person we talked to. He hadn’t heard from me and then he was getting ready to do another show and the day it was announced that Versace was up, he was, oh shit what am I going to do. But we all worked it out so he was able to get out and commit pretty much a year to it. And he was great. Brad and Nina went to see him in “Hedwig” and he knew they were in the audience so of course he came out and sat on Brad’s lap and did the whole showbiz thing.



Love seeing again how supportive Ryan is of Darren, how he really wanted to give Darren this special opportunity.  I'm very grateful and touched by Ryan's faith in and support of Darren!  Loved reading again how Ryan always had solely Darren in mind to play the role of Cunanan.   heart :love


Ok. . . what other show was Darren getting ready to do?!   Ryan, don't leave us hanging!  :cry broken heart 

Was it Royalties?   I personally think it was Royalties because:  (1)  Darren is very careful about not announcing his projects until the last minute, when he's very sure they will get done.  I don't think he would have mentioned (at the SF concert that he did at Feinstein's at the Nikko) selling the pilot script unless he knew that the project would proceed further;
(2)  Jonathan Gabay, and the writer Patrick Carlyle tweeted about the project, and they (along with writer Allyn Rachel, as well as Gail Berman, Joe Earley and Dani Gorin of The Jackal Group, which is a production group) all went to see Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch in  L.A..

I also was wondering about the part where Ryan said Darren was able to commit for pretty much a year to this project.  I thought Ryan previously said the commitment was 5 months?

We'll just have to wait and see if we find out what show Ryan is talking about, and if that show is still on the table for Darren! :fingers crossed :fingers crossed


I thought this was interesting (from the same article), what Ryan said about the  historical context of this project in terms of social issues:

Ryan Murphy wrote:
. . . Of course then, half the people I knew who had had ties to Hollywood and San Diego said, I was at a bar, I met Andrew Cunanan.  So there was always a very mythical thing about that guy. But it was just a real tragedy. And the reason I wanted to do this story so badly was because if you do O.J., what do you do to top O.J.? You have to do something completely different. And I wanted to do something smaller and more intimate. And, it’s a different kind of crime. When we do “American Crime” we’re not just going to do Jon Benet, we’re not going to just do something salacious. It has to be about something that has American social issues in it. And this period of time that we’re talking about, 1997, there were really two people who were out in entertainment, Elton John and Gianni Versace.


 
And more about Andrew Cunanan, and about the context of this period of time, about the current struggles and issues facing the LGBTQ community at that time (such as the personal struggles to come out as gay, as well as the homophobic police and how homophobia and self-hate played a part in the motivation of Cunanan to commit these murders).  I definitely can see that this is personal and important to Ryan.  I always have been drawn to personal stories set in the larger context of broad social and political issues.  

Ryan Murphy wrote:
Versace as Openly Gay

RM: Versace really struggled with it. There were a lot of conversations with Donatella. Should I come out of the closet? Because my business is going public. He was terrified that by not being able to be himself he would be discriminated against and lose everything. That was also the period of don’t ask, don’t tell, which we dive into.  The reason why it’s such an interesting American crime is because Gianni Versace was only killed because of homophobia. Andrew Cunanan killed and targeted people who were gay or who were in the closet. And his murders tend to out them. There was a gentleman who was in his 70’s named Lee Miglin who was one of the early victims, whose family was so upset and terrified of his personal life coming out that they just sort of said, motive unknown. And the police didn’t pursue it. And by the time Cunanan got to Miami, the police officers in town had thousands of wanted posters in the trunks of the cars that they would not put up because they would not go to gay bars. They just wouldn’t do it. So we’re delving with all this very dark period of American society that is obviously personal to me, and very upsetting.


About Andrew Cunanan:

Ryan Murphy wrote:
Cunanan as Character


RM: We had the book that we optioned, “Vulgar Favors.” The thing about Cunanan was a mystery in many ways. The things that I was fascinated about is the creator-destroyer idea of Cunanan and Versace sort of were the same beginning. They came from immigrant families, they wanted to be famous, they wanted to be celebrated and one person did the work and took the risk, which was Versace, and one person didn’t, who was Cunanan.  Cunanan was also a tragic story. He was lied to by his parents, specifically his father, who told them they were incredibly wealthy, almost royalty in the Philippines. And in his teenage years he discovered that his father had been lying the entire time. He was treated like a celebrity in his own family. When he was very young his parents gave him the master suite. So he sort of grew up with this kingly idea of who he was and who he could be. And then it was all taken away and he was shattered by it. And he had real psychological difficulties dealing with. There was also what we could never verify or prove, sexual abuse in his family. So he was also a very tragic figure and wanted fame and fortune so desperately that what happened with him was when he killed someone, the first victim, that probably was in a fit of pique and rage, he decided well, I’m going to go to jail, I’m going to be destroyed, so I want to be famous so I’m going to move towards that. And in taking the life of the famous person became his fame which is also a very American story that we see time and time again, that’s gotten progressively worse with social media over the years and threats and violence.  When you have somebody like Cunanan, who is thought of in many circles as a monster, and the person that took away Gianni Versace from us, you also have to with the actor say, well let’s talk about his childhood. He was a real person. Something along the way made him snap. So we’ve talked a lot about that. And Darren did a lot of research on his own and showed up ready to go.




This sounds so fascinating:

Ryan Murphy wrote:
Actual Filming

Every story has its own organic thing. So for this story we did a really cool thing, we’re starting the story with, the first 15 minutes are music, opera, no dialogue, and it’s Versace restored to health, getting up and starting his day with his staff and then walking to the News Café, intercut with Cunanan stalking him and tracking him.  It starts with his murder. And then what we wanted to do was tell the story backwards. Versace was the last murder but in our show he’s the first. And then we go back in time. We tell the story backwards, ending with the Cunanan figure as a young man and Versace as a young man trying to make a stab of it as a designer.

There’s only violence and murder in the first four or five episodes. And then you really get into the psychological struggle of how does one person become a creator and how does one become a destroyer. And then the last episode is Cunanan on the houseboat making a decision to kill himself before they arrest him.  I’ve never done anything backwards. But I loved the storytelling of it because I think you’ll be so moved because it starts with a violent act and by the time you’ll get to the end you will really realize what Versace had to go through to become Versace and what Cunanan went through to become that killer.



Can't wait to see this show!

BTW, does anyone remember how many episodes are in the series?  Is it eight or nine?

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
From Darren Criss Army:

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
-



enews  They say crime doesn’t pay… unless you’re a Hollywood actor.

via dcriss-archive

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
From dcriss-archive:


Why Ryan Murphy is ruling TV’s True Crime Genre (July 20th, 2017) | Source (Article)

via dcriss-archive







Darren Criss as Andrew Cunanan
The former Glee star donned some killer jorts for his role as Gianni Versace’s killer in the highly anticipated upcoming season of Ryan Murphy’s American Crime Story. The 28-year-old killed at least four people before murdering the famed fashion designer in front of his Miami mansion on July 15, 1997. On July 24, 1997, he committed suicide. | Source

Lin

avatar
Intermediate Member III
Intermediate Member III
Not exactly about Darren, but I saw this on Twitter and found it interesting: Matt Bomer is going to direct an episode!

In the more immediate horizon is Bomer’s first directing opportunity, with an episode of the upcoming The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story series for Ryan Murphy. source


_________________

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Aw, that's so cool!  I'm so glad that Matt Bomer is being given this chance.  I always love when nice things happen to nice people.  :happy face  (Plus, maybe it'll be a reunion for the Anderson bros. :amused )  Thanks for letting us know, Lin.

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
-

Interesting photo.


# Repost @jwanyosef


Owning this reenactment colors#ACSVersace http://ift.tt/2v7YCmB

July 29, 2017

via dcriss-archive

Lin

avatar
Intermediate Member III
Intermediate Member III
At first I thought that was some sort of composition test photo for the EW cover, but it looks more like they were just hanging out and recreated the picture? Maybe they had to work yesterday and hung out afterwards, I saw another casting call for Italians for today (Sunday).


_________________

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
It does look like they were recreating that EW photo.  Thanks for the info about the casting calls, Lin.  :happy face



It looks like Darren is entertaining the Versace folks.  I like the caption.  It does seem wherever Darren goes, music follows.   heart   Not sure who is heard laughing and who is sitting next to him. 



Wherever there is Darren Criss, there is music!
Vid via (jwanyosef) IG story

via Darren Criss Army
(July 29, 2017)


Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
-



dcriss-archive:
penelopecruzoficial: @darrencriss You are so talented, my friend Cool Pedazo de talentazo!





August 1, 2017

via  dcriss-archive









Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
-

Darren Criss on American Crime Story and Third Annual Elsie Fest | Elvis Duran Show 8/3/17

(Source: youtube.com)

via Darren Criss Army





Darren speaks about Versace in this interview with Elvis Duran.  I think this is a very difficult issue for Darren to discuss, as he promotes Versace.   (It's much easier for the other cast members to discuss, given who they are portraying, versus who Darren is portraying.)   I would avoid the word "fun" (as when talking about real murders and other dark issues.  Also-is it "spree killing," or "killing spree"?)  And I'm trying to follow Darren's advice, trying to keep an open mind when the time comes for me to watch Darren portray Andrew Cunanan, when I get the chance to follow Andrew's life via Darren's acting and via the story written by the show's writers.  But yet, I personally find it hard to accept Darren's assertion that I have more in common with someone like Andrew than not.  It doesn't seem convincing an argument, in my opinion, to say the differences (between Andrew and myself) are big, but "small in number." That numerical differences are small really seems like such a "non-issue," so unimportant when you look at  someone who has taken the lives of others.   It doesn't sit well with me to hear that I have more in common (than not) with someone who has done such things. 

I get what Darren is trying to do, but I just find the part where he talks about the amount of commonalities--and the "small degree" of differences--when comparing myself to the adult Andrew Cunanan, to be rather unconvincing. 

I do feel that what he said about how viewers will be exercising their capacity for empathy, will be challenging themselves in their ability to sympathize with Andrew Cunanan, to be well-said.  I have the philosophy that one must try to exercise compassion, even in difficult cases, even with people who elicit complex and contradictory responses from myself and others.   And I try to place myself in others' shoes, and examine how onerous experiences have shaped an innocent child into adulthood.  So I can accept what Darren is saying about as a viewer, exercising and challenging my ability to sympathize with this man, Andrew Cunanan, as we see him develop and change from a young person to adulthood.

It's harder for me, however, to acknowledge my kinship, my commonalities, with the adult Andrew, given the end result of his actions, because the differences in character choices seem overwhelming to me.  It's one thing to try to  sympathize with  Andrew Cunanan, because of all the harsh  circumstances he struggled with as a young person.  It's another thing to try to see a kind of kinship between myself and the adult Andrew Cunanan.  That seems like it's asking too much of the audience.  I'm probably not explaining myself well. 

I also like the part where Darren stated there will be an attempt to get the audience to ask themselves at what point could this have been me?  That seems much more fair, because then the emphasis is not on asking me to see how similar I am to the adult Cunanan, but instead the emphasis is asking me to see what what similarities I had with the young Cunanan  in his formative years.



Last edited by Poppy on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
I do love what a wonderful opportunity this role of playing Andrew Cunanan is for Darren!  Very excited for him!  Thank you, Ryan Murphy, for your faith in, and support of, Darren! :love  

In the Elvis Duran interview (see YouTube video above), Darren said this (which I love): heart heart heart

Darren Criss wrote:
This is the most exciting thing I've ever gotten to do in my life . . . I've worked my entire life for this moment.

Aw.  heart heart heart



dcriss-archive also seemed to be taken with what Darren said in the Elvis Duran interview:
This is the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my life

Darren on working on ACS Versace [x]
via dcriss-archive





From Darren Criss Army:

Darren discusses Versace at Point 5:18 in this Broadway.com interview.  Paul Wontorek is so sweet.  Paul said he was so excited for Darren that Darren was being given this opportunity to do something so different.

The Broadway.com Show - 8/4/17: HARRY POTTER, WICKED, DARREN CRISS & More

(Source: youtube.com)




In this Broadway.com interview, Darren said:

Darren Criss wrote:
This is the most exhilarating and exciting thing that I've ever gotten to do in my entire career, of my very short career.  I've waited my whole life for this moment.  This to me is like, oh wow, this is like my big break.

Again, awwww.   heart heart heart








From dcriss-archive:





Darren and the cast of American Crime Story Versace on the Italian magazine Chi | X|X


The two tweets that referenced the Italian magazine: 


Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
This is a very interesting interview of Darren, regarding Andrew Cunanan. 




Track: Darren Criss on Seth Speaks with Seth Rudetsky (August 2017)

Darren Criss on Seth Speaks with Seth Rudetsky on Sirius XM

via dcriss-archive




I agree with some of what Darren said, and I disagree with some of what he said.  (I still do not agree that it is a convincing statement to say that we have more in common with Cunanan than not--but I can respect that Darren feels that way.)   I think a primary issue that Darren will have to grapple with as he does promotional interviews, is that since Cunanan was a real person, not a fictional character, with real people as his victims, that it is going to require promotional interviews hold a certain level of sensitivity (that wouldn't be so much of an issue if the character who Darren is playing was simply fictional). 


Even though I disagree with some of what Darren stated, I respect his perspective.  As an actor who is portraying Andrew Cunanan, Darren is looking at the situation through the lens of an actor, which is understandable of course.    As he said, I can understand that "acting is an exercise in empathy."  And as Seth said, you have to sympathize with the character who you are playing.   It does sound like Andrew Cunanan is a complex person, as Darren stated, someone who didn't fall in the typical boxes one would expect.  Cunanan was very charismatic and he was popular, well-liked, and yes, loved by some, even many.  Darren said Cunanan was all kinds of things, in terms of possessing extremes.   I do believe that everyone does have a certain level of darkness (although fortunately, only in rare cases does the darkness rise to the level of murdering people), and that life experiences help shape the choices we all make.   I agree with Darren, that when we are looking at the story about an anti-hero, that story-telling can shift the viewer's perspective, can change who the viewer is rooting for and supporting, and can toy with the viewer's sense of what's right and what's wrong.  One example is Dexter, played by Michael C. Hall, a fictional serial killer (although the audience also was able to justify that Dexter killed only the "bad" guys).   My husband was a fan of that TV show.


Some pics:






endlesslyklaine:
   [UHQ] Darren Criss on the set of ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ on August, 3rd, in Los Angeles.

via dcriss-archive











endlesslyklaine:
   [UHQ] Darren Criss on the set of ‘Versace: American Crime Story’ on August, 3rd, in Los Angeles.

via dcriss-archive

*Jeremy*

avatar
Advanced II
Advanced II
To be honest, I'm not disturbed by Darren's stance on Cunanan. I actually find fashion in the 90's way more confusing :amused

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
haha!  Jeremy, thanks for making me laugh.  :amused


 

From dcriss-archive:


Darren Criss, Ricky Martin and Edgar Ramirez will attend the American Crime Story TCA Event tomorrow | Source



I think "TCA" stands for the Television Critics Association.

Poppy

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
-

Okaaaaay.  Will you share, Joanna (she is a writer with Vanity Fair)?



From dcriss-archive:

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 31]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum