Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.)

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post about Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015 and 2016.   Examples would include Table Readings, and any short-term theater projects.    To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) for a major theater project  of Darren's (that is within the Category of "Darren's Theater Projects"), please let me know.  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_o7d5rfd0JA1uetdyxo1_500

The Black List Table Reads takes the best and most exciting screenplays Hollywood hasn’t yet made, and turns them into movies, for your ears. Black List founder Franklin Leonard presents a new script every month read by a rotating cast of talented actors, along with interviews from the Hollywood screenwriting community and beyond. | Link
 You can listen to the readings Darren was a part of here: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is new.  Didn't he do The Other Side in May/June 2015? 

But it's really nice to be reminded of this table reading.    Thank you dailydarrennews!   I know that Ginger/2825 had really enjoyed this and thought it was amazing, and I intend to give it a listen.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Summary of Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Projects 2015-2016.

March 6, 2015.  "17 Again" the musical, Table Reading.

May-June 2015.   The Black List Table Reads:  "The Other Side."

September 15, 2015.  "Galileo" reading.

October 5, 2015.  "Gross Indecency:  The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde," benefit reading by the Tectonic Theater Project.  NYC.

October 8, 2015.  A Very StarKid Reunion, part of the 100-year celebration of the Department of Theatre and Drama of the University of Michigan.

February 6, 2016.  "The Prince of Egypt" reading.

August 29, 2016.  "White Rabbit Red Rabbit."  NYC.

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

"17 Again" the musical, Table Reading.   March 6, 2015.

Broadway.com wrote:
Darren Criss is headlining a private developmental reading of 17 Again, a musical based on the 2009 Zac Efron film, on March 6. Under the direction of Hairspray film director Adam Shankman, the Glee star will join Craig Bierko, Jackie Hoffman, George Wendt, Jennifer Damiano, Steve Rosen, Taylor Louderman, Leslie Kritzer and Andy Mientus in the New York reading, which features a score by First Date songwriters Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner and book by TV writer Marco Pennette.

[. . . ]

This closed presentation is one of multiple projects Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures currently has in development to create new works for first class productions, professional and regional tours and amateur licensing.

-Broadway.com

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nl46eqgkEw1r4gxc3o6_1280
Pics from # 17AgainMusical reading with Darren Criss, Caisie Levy and more!

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nkpms57LEN1qbqtkso1_500
adamshankman: #17AgainMusical reading day 2 working with 3 people who are making me feel 17 again. @caissielevy, @andymientus and that @darrencriss guy, whoever he is.

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nkz4ydScq21r4gxc3o1_500
zacharynweiner: What an awesome week with the best of the best! Thanks for being 17 AGAIN, @DarrenCriss! #17AgainMusical

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

The Black List Table Reads:  "The Other Side."   May-June 2015. 

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nobc4lAIfW1u0k05to1_500

theblcklst:
Tomorrow morning, Stacey Maltin’s THE OTHER SIDE debuts on Wolfpop Network! http://blacklist.wolfpop.com/ #darrencriss #tammyblanchard #eddiekayethomas #podcasts #comedy #wolfpop #behindthescenes

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nocflfktEC1qayexuo1_500

endlesslyklaine:
Recording The Other Side (Source)

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_np6vj58gEc1r4gxc3o1_500

Note:  Dani Tenenbaum is the director of "The Other Side."

A short description of the plot:
"When Jacob, a young Hasidic Jew and Hannah, a beautiful hipster girl expose a horrific crime by a religious leader it threatens to disrupt Jacob’s perception of his entire existence within a secretive community in Brooklyn and sends the pair on a journey of exploration and self- discovery."
-The Other Side Facebook

From dailydarrennews:

The Black List Table Reads takes the best and most exciting screenplays Hollywood hasn’t yet made, and turns them into movies, for your ears. Black List founder Franklin Leonard presents a new script every month read by a rotating cast of talented actors, along with interviews from the Hollywood screenwriting community and beyond. | Link
You can listen to the readings Darren was a part of here: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 4 times in total

6Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Empty "Galileo" reading. September 15, 2015. Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

"Galileo" reading.   September 15, 2015. 

Darren took part in a reading of a new rock musical of Danny Strong, whose writing credits include the films The Hunger Games and The Butler, and the TV show Empire.  The score is by Michael Weiner and Adam Abraham.

-Broadwayworld.com: "Carolee Carmello, Darren Criss, Chad Kimball Take Part in Reading of Danny Strong's New Rock Musical Galileo

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nuqhhm643p1uetdyxo1_500

strongdanny: Thank you to the cast of Galileo for another great reading! You are all so talented, it’s such an honor to work with you! #BroadwayBound

It's interesting that the score is by Michael Weiner and Adam Abraham.  Michael Weiner also wrote the score for "17 Again" the musical, along with Alan Zachary.

Michael Weiner (and Alan Zachary) also saw Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway:

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nr2qq92gqi1r4gxc3o1_500
Alan Zachary Facebook  "Just saw this guy kill it as Hedwig. Phenomenal! Worth the revisit if you've already been. #andthenicestguyaround"
July 6, 2015
DCN
-

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

"Gross Indecency:  The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde," benefit reading by the Tectonic Theater Project.  NYC.  October 5, 2015.

This was a benefit reading, to raise funds for the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, as well as for the Tectonic Theater Project.  The Tectonic Theater Project wished to support the rights of persons in the LGBTQ community world-wide, and to highlight how Russia was trampling on the rights of LGBTQ persons. 

It is so great that Darren was able to be a part of this inspiring project.    It also was impressive that Darren was included among these respected actors, and it seemed he did well.  There is an audio floating around, that impressed me. 

The star-studded cast included:  Michael Emerson, Sally Field, David Hyde Pierce, Larry Kramer, Jonathan Groff, Michael C. Hall, Judith Light, Andy Mientus, Jose Llana, David Burtka, Tituss Burgess, Tony Kushner, Jake Shears, Will Carlyon, Andy Paris, Ben Livingston, Greg Steinbruner, and Don Wildman. 

Some pics:
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvlwzayLRX1r4gxc3o1_500
DCN
TectonicTheaterProject: Tectonic Artistic Director Moisés Kaufman and Darren Criss rehearse for Monday’s benefit reading of ‪#‎GrossIndecency‬.
There are only a few VIP tickets left! Get yours today.

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvv0dfaT5a1r4gxc3o1_1280
DCN
“Gross Indecency” Reading (October 5, 2015) | Source

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nwnicbblGp1sczt3wo9_1280

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nwnicbblGp1sczt3wo3_1280
DCN
na-page:
The cast of ‘Gross Indecency: The Three Trials Of Oscar Wilde’ during the curtain call bows onstage at Gerald W. Lynch Theatre on October 5, 2015 in New York City.

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvs2fb1htM1r4gxc3o1_400
DCN
“Gross Indecency” Reading | October 5, 2015

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvttafdCrO1qbqtkso1_500

DCN
tirpse:
jakeshears The (very serious) Rent Boys from last nights reading/performance of Gross Indecency by Moises Kaufman.. Was such an honor to be a part of this.. @andymientus @darrencriss @willcarlyon

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvs5drqAns1r4gxc3o1_500
DCN
kevsessums: Me and my boys Jonathan and Darren after the performance of Gross Indecency tonight.

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvsfnmsYhU1r4gxc3o1_500
DCN
“Gross Indecency” after party | October 5, 2015

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Gross-Indecency-Web-364
DCN
tirpse:
Source

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvvde5hkmH1r4gxc3o1_500

Nice fan review by the lovely Gleekto, of Gross Indecency. 

gleekto wrote:
Darren in Gross Indecency

Gross Indecency was really incredibly well done. Although it was a reading, because of the court room setting of the play, it felt very much like a play happening in court  (with a few more scripts around). Michael Emerson (who played Oscar Wilde) was incredibly moving, but really the whole cast was excellent.

There is lots to say about the whole thing, but I know many here would like to hear about Darren’s roles  - he had fantastic parts and was definitely a bit of a scene stealer in one of them…So a brief summary - 

So he played 3 roles - in the first trial, it was a small part of a concierge who had witnessed some of Oscar Wilde’s ‘engagements’ at the hotel. He was blushy and British and his accent was fab (my sweetie noticed how good he was at accents).

It was really in the second trial that he shone as Charles Parker - one of the boys of a ‘lesser class’ that Oscar had met and wined and dined and paid and been with - or as Charles put it - “he committed the act of sodomy on me.” Charles and three others were called as witnesses in the trial to testify against Oscar Wilde for acts of gross indecency. Charles was a totally brash, arrogant, street-smart  player - and Darren swaggered his way through the part in his white underwear (I see there are already pics). One particularly fantastic moment was when Charles was called as a witness, so Darren approaches the stand but the binder with the script (it’s a reading, so all have binders) is set to the completely wrong page.  Judith Light, who played the prosecutor, asks Charles, “Do you have any family in London?” - Darren, seeing the script is wrong, and completely in character as a smart ass - “I’ll have to think about it”, and then he flips the pages. The audience loved it. It was clearly a very fun part part to play - a bit of a comic relief asshole.

In the last trial, he played Charles again (very small role) and also a brief scene as a scandalized massage therapist who witnessed Oscar Wilde engaged in ‘acts’ with another man - noteworthy again was an excellent accent and very different vibe from the other two characters. 

So yeah, Darren was fab. Super fun to watch. And particularly fun when the wonderful Judith Light is cross examining him as a douche-y player in skimpy white underwear, in the context of a beautifully political and powerful play.

-gleekto

-

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

A Very StarKid Reunion, part of the 100-year celebration of the Department of Theatre and Drama of the University of Michigan.   October 8, 2015.

Darren did some question and answers:

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvuwykru311qbqtkso2_500

This one made me laugh.   I wonder if someone said that to them?

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvuyfipltv1qbqtkso5_500

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvvdmfDNsl1r4gxc3o1_500
jlbeatty: Friends in Narbs! #AVSR
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvwv2gsEg11r4gxc3o5_r1_500

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvwv2gsEg11r4gxc3o7_r1_500

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvwv2gsEg11r4gxc3o6_r1_500
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxcd6MSgH1qk12xro1_500
DCN
garglerspy:
A very starkid reunion - so stoked!

Cute little video from Darren (he looks adorable with the Harry Potter lightning drawn on his forehead), posting the link until I practice Lin's awesome tech skills of embedding the video:

DarrenCriss: A Very StarKid Reunion. It’s happening. Right. Now.
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxlr4uF8D1r4gxc3o1_500

umichsmtd: A big thank you to @therealteamstarkid for their totally awesome performance tonight! #umicharts #umichsmtd #SMTDStudentTakeover #actlikeavictor #theatre100
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxny2bScF1r4gxc3o1_500
therealteamstarkid: GO BLUE!!!!! #AVSR @umichsmtd
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxrwgMgwX1r4gxc3o1_500
umichsmtd: Team Starkid - A Totally Awesome show! Thanks for coming back to join us for the Dept. of Theatre & Drama’s 100th birthday!
DCN

An edit:
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxs5bton71r4gxc3o1_500
x
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxrcnd2dk1r4gxc3o1_1280

A Very Starkid Reunion | October 8, 2015
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxuiygIJi1r4gxc3o1_500

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxuiygIJi1r4gxc3o3_r1_500

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvxuiygIJi1r4gxc3o2_r1_500
[HQ] Alums Joey Richter, Darren Criss, and Lauren Lopez perform at “A Very Starkid Reunion” in honor of the 100th anniversary of the School of Music, Theatre & Dance at the Power Center on Thursday. | Source
DCN

Note:  The Source listed has a photo gallery, for anyone interested.

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvymmssUKZ1qetbh6o3_500

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvymmssUKZ1qetbh6o5_1280
badgersinbowties:
14 year old me is crying. 21 year old me had an incredible time with alums from her school and is so happy she got to catch up with an old friend (and also got to party with the radest people alive).
Team Starkid– thank you for being so fucking great. Can’t wait for the next time heart
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvyp2dBhcK1r4gxc3o1_500
dylansaunders: I’m heading home and am still pinching myself. So many incredible memories, loves, smells and milestones came flooding back to me this week. My artist-self came of age in Ann Arbor, and to be back performing where it all started was a beautiful, humbling and hilarious experience. It wouldn’t be accurate to say this school changed my life–it defined it. Feeling eternally grateful for the time I had at the University of Michigan, and for the friendships I forged there. Happy 100th Birthday to my beloved Department of Theatre & Drama, and thank you for continuing to lead me down the greatest artistic path a fellow could ask for. #GoBlue #Theatre100 #AVSR @umichsmtd @uofmichigan @therealteamstarkid
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nvy0ukneQb1r4gxc3o1_500
tmierno: Check this cutie out
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0shf77yx1qzh21go4_r1_250  Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0shf77yx1qzh21go1_250

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0shf77yx1qzh21go3_250  Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0shf77yx1qzh21go2_250
janel-moloney:
100 Years of Theatre: Alumni Reflections with StarKid
DCN

:big grin
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0s3rGhXs1ri1mzuo1_250  Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0s3rGhXs1ri1mzuo2_250

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0s3rGhXs1ri1mzuo3_250  Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw0s3rGhXs1ri1mzuo4_250
hedwig-darren:
100 Years of Theatre: Alumni Reflections with StarKid
DCN

nikkihorowitz:
Check out this video Marisa Diamond and I made for The Michigan Daily about 100 Years of Theatre at U of M and StarKidPotter!! Special thanks to Alison Hacker for being the best interviewer, Nicky Lang, Darren Criss and the rest of Starkids. What a great weekend!

Razz
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nwa2gd8g2u1r4gxc3o1_500
slowpez8: #tbt to last week and the exact moment when we realized that we are POSSIBLY too old for college parties.

This is a very cute pic of Darren and his friend, Lily Marks.
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nwaslkNAap1r4gxc3o1_500
lilyrosemarks: This guy! #tbt @darrencriss #avsr
DCN

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nytakdOYPM1r4gxc3o1_500
jlbeatty: A VERY STARKID REUNION releases at midnight tonight! And we all turn back into pumpkins!!! #avsr
(Link to purchase)

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw84ea2XLX1r4gxc3o1_500
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw84ea2XLX1r4gxc3o2_500
Link
DCN

This is impressive and also very interesting:  An article in Forbes about StarKid:  Forbes: "Darren Criss and Team StarKid Talk Capitalizing on Viral Success"

Some nice quotes from the the Forbes article, courtesy of DCN:

"My heart will always be in theater; I would always rather do a play – always."
— Darren Criss (Forbes.com)
DCN

"
[Darren] Criss, an original StarKid founder, songwriter, and actor, explains how their pioneering use of the Internet to spread theater was partly a financial decision. “There wasn’t a wave to be ridden; (our initial viral success) was an accident,” Criss said. “We put (AVPM) on YouTube simply because that was cheaper than making DVDs and shipping it out to people.”
Most notably, Criss’ work in the AVPM series may have played a role in sparking the attention of director Ryan Murphy and Glee’s casting directors. While he has since soared to Hollywood fame – starring opposite Kristen Wiig in the Girl Most Likely and receiving an Emmy nomination for his original song in Glee – he still returns to his classic theater roots to occasionally perform with StarKid. “My heart will always be in theater; I would always rather do a play – always,” Criss admitted. Most recently, he took his second lead on Broadway in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, after his 2011 debut in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
"
— Darren Criss And Team StarKid Talk Capitalizing On Viral Success (Forbes.com)
DCN

A very interesting review, with the writer noting Darren's ability to adapt from solo artist to team player.   Hypable: "‘A Very StarKid Reunion’ is a nostalgic must-have for fans"

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nyxz0g2rXY1r4j6u0o1_500
hypable:
‘A Very StarKid Reunion’ is a nostalgic must-have for fans
The latest offering from fandom’s most beloved theater troupe Team StarKid is a DVD filmed at their one-off A Very StarKid Reunion, a live concert performed in October in honor of their alma mater’s 100th anniversary.

Some nice quotes from this review:
Hypable Review wrote:Opening with the number that made them an instant internet sensation, Darren Criss leads most of the original cast of A Very Potter Musical in “Goin’ Back To Hogwarts,” in which the entrance of every character is met with wild cheers, and the sentiment “it’s great to come back to where we began” holds a special significance. This is the night’s first moment in which UMich is branded as Team StarKid’s very own Hogwarts, but it won’t be the last.

Hypable Review wrote:. . . for example, Darren Criss introduced Starship, a show he composed but wasn’t able to perform in, and described his odd, and rather sad, disconnect from the group as he was working on the show’s music while filming his first season on Glee.

For StarKid fans — especially old-school StarKid fans — the Darren Criss situation is always going to be weird, and his presence at events like this always has us heaving a sigh of relief. From what we’ve heard from the rest of the StarKid gang, that sentiment seems to extend to them, at times, too.

Hypable Review wrote:Perhaps Criss, like most of the Glee fandom, is still feeling some burnout from the show’s less-than-graceful demise, but regardless, he is a star, and he has the ambition and the resume to prove it. This is a guy who entered a hit TV show as a guest actor and who left five years later as its leading male, who recently carried a taxing one-man Broadway show (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) on his back. He’s an enigmatic solo performer, but one of my favorite things about Criss is that when he’s with Team StarKid, he never seems to pull focus. His number in the A Very Potter Sequel segment (which happens to be one of the best songs he’s ever personally penned) is as show-stopping as anything he’s ever done onstage, and yet even that still doesn’t turn the night into The Darren Criss Variety Hour.

Hypable Review wrote:
Criss is excellent at turning on the celebrity factor. He’s also excellent at turning it off. He’s, above all, adaptable, and despite the fact that he appears in this concert as one of its big draws, in the lead role of Harry, his presence feels just as expected, yet just as unremarkable, as any of the returning cast. He’s one of the gang, as happy to dance in back as lead up front, and in the best possible way, he doesn’t stand out. This isn’t new: this is a quality that fans have witnessed every time Criss has returned to perform with StarKid over the past five years, and it makes sense: he’s not competing with these people, there’s nothing to prove and nothing at stake. It’s just what he comes home to.

I love how happy Darren is when he is with StarKids.  It really does seem like StarKids is his "home," his safe place, his joyous place.    I also love how although Darren does shine as a solo performer, on his own, that he also is just as happy to be a team player, especially when he is with his close friends, those who make up StarKids.

More media coverage of the reunion:

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_nw6jl8Um5C1r4gxc3o1_1280
Source (Detroit Free Press)
DCN

Same interview of Darren:  Detroit Free Press: "Darren Criss shares University of Michigan memories"

Another interview:  The Michigan Daily: "My day at rehearsal with StarKids"

-

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

It would be fun to see Darren in clown classes :big grin

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I would love to see that too, Jeremy!   The question is would he be a sweet clown, a goofy clown, a scary clown, an angst-ridden/sad clown, or another type of clown?   :amused

"The Prince of Egypt" Reading.   February 6, 2016. 

It was interesting that Darren took part of a reading for "The Prince of Egypt," on February 6, 2016, given that on October 26, 2015, he sang a medley of two songs from the film, "The Prince of Egypt" ("The River Lullaby" and "All I Ever Wanted") at the Dramatists Guild Fund:  Lucky Stars Gala, where Stephen Schwartz was also present at the gala.  (Go here for Dramatists Guild Fund: Lucky Stars Gala.)

From dailydarrennews:

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_o23n15dKyU1uetdyxo1_500
fabiaguirrebway: My little brother Moses is all grown up now! :happy face  Happy Birthday @darrencriss!  It has been so much fun doing Prince of Egypt with you! #Moses #youngMiriam #princeofegypt

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_o257ojm4jx1uetdyxo1_500

Chris Dilley: Had to grab, berate, and throw a mudball at this guy - and he took it like a champ. Darren Criss, awesome working with you! #princeofegypt — with Darren Criss at New 42nd Street Studios.

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_o25rcy7miV1qeegj9o1_500

fallenjunkie:
thearmfeldtfamilymanse: There can be miracles (like high belting at 10am!) when you believe. Thanks for a fun morning @pepamama @darrencriss @starkweather @nikkimjames @slipsgoblue @chelliebrd @dialkyle #funwithclients #goblue

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_o25cltQJxm1u4l72go1_500
darrenkey:
Bruce T. Sloane: Love the “Prince of Egypt ” reading today With Darren Criss, Stark Sands, Chris Dilley, Stephen Schwartz, Scott Schwartz.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy wrote:I would love to see that too, Jeremy!   The question is would he be a sweet clown, a goofy clown, a scary clown, an angst-ridden/sad clown, or another type of clown?   :amused
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_m0d2njj3XD1r2c709o2_500

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

haha!   I should have known!  Of course, the goofy clown!   :laughing   I love that gif, Lin!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Here is the short little video that Darren posted at A Very StarKid Reunion

DarrenCriss: A Very StarKid Reunion. It’s happening. Right. Now.

14Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Empty Darren the Clown Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:30 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

haha!  Look what I found!

Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_ljfo9ddVRe1qcyltvo1_500
fuckyeahstarkidpotter:
Taking his Graduation 100% serious
via yanks02

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Oop.   I accidentally put this in the Darren Appreciation Thread, but I'm moving it to the Theater Thread.    I will quote dusty's comment here in this thread too.  :happy face

Darren to perform White Rabbit Red Rabbit on August 29, 2016 (NYC)

This is interesting news, from dailydarrennews.

Darren will perform on August 29 in "White Rabbit Red Rabbit," "the internationally acclaimed play" by Nassim Soleimanpour in NYC. 

"Darren Criss, Michael Urie and Ramin Karimloo to Appear in WHITE RABBIT RED RABBIT This Summer"
Olivier Award and Tony Award Nominee Ramin Karimloo (Les Miserables, Phantom) will perform on August 1, two-time Drama Desk Award winning stage and television star Michael Urie (Buyer and Cellar, “Ugly Betty”) will perform on August 22, and Emmy Award nominee and acclaimed stage actor Darren Criss (“Glee”, Hedwig and the Angry Inch) will perform on August 29. The performers for August 8 and August 15 will be announced shortly.

White Rabbit Red Rabbit makes its New York Premiere in this limited engagement, playing Monday nights at Westside Theatre (407 W 43rd Street). Performances began on March 7.

No rehearsal. No director. No set. No spoilers. A different performer each night is handed the script for the first time as they step onto the stage. The rotating cast, each performing only one time ever, also features the previously announced: award-winning actress & comedian from “Sister Act,” “Hocus Pocus” & Dirty Blonde Kathy Najimy (tonight, July 11), Academy Award, Golden Globe & Obie Award-winning actor F. Murray Abraham (July 18) and acclaimed television & stage star Josh Radnor (July 25). Previous performers include Nathan Lane (March 7), Whoopi Goldberg (March 14), Patrick Wilson (March 21), Brian Dennehy (March 28), Wayne Brady (April 4), Mike Birbiglia (April 11), Cynthia Nixon (April 18), Kyra Sedwick (April 25), Martin Short (May 2), Bobby Cannavale (May 9), David Hyde Pierce (May 16), Shohreh Aghdashloo (May 23), Alan Cumming (June 6), George Takei (June 13), Rachel Dratch (June 20), and Reg E. Cathey (June 27).

Forbidden to leave his country, young Iranian playwright Nassim Soleimanpour found a way for his voice to get out when he physically could not. This wildly entertaining and thought-provoking theatrical piece - where no audience can see the same show twice - blends drama, comedy and social experiment, providing audiences with a potent reminder of the transformative power of theatre.

The play had its world premiere in 2011 at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, winning the Arches Brick Award, followed by presentations at Summerworks and Dublin Fringe Festival where it was awarded “Outstanding New Performance” and “Best New Performance” respectively. The play has since been translated into fifteen different languages and performed over 200 times worldwide - from London to Oslo, Athens, Berlin, Melbourne and Singapore - by such stars as Michael Shannon, John Hurt, Stephen Fry, Stephen Rea, Sinead Cusack, David Morse and more.
SCHEDULE OF PERFORMERS (IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE):
August 29: Darren Criss

-BroadwayWorld.com

It should be interesting to see Darren give an impromptu performance.  As it says in the BWW article: "No rehearsal.  No director.  No set.  No spoilers."    He will not see the script until he steps on stage.   The article also mentions that the play "blends drama, comedy and social experiment," so I imagine there will be an aspect of social commentary involved, especially since the playwright used this play to express "his voice," when he was prohibited from leaving his country of Iran.  Part of the proceeds will go to PEN International, "the world's leading association of writers working to promote literature and defend freedom of expression around the world." 
-BroadwayWorld.com

And it's impressive that he is included among these actors who have taken part or who are scheduled to take part in this play.

Also, here is an article in Broadway.com:  Darren Criss & More Will Take the Stage in Off-Broadway's White Rabbit Red Rabbit

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

16Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Empty White Rabbit Red Rabbit Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'm quoting dusty's comment that she posted in the Appreciation Thread, about the announcement of Darren to take part in the play, White Rabbit Red Rabbit.  :happy face

dusty wrote:
That sounds very interesting, not to mention challenging. I have to say I'm impressed with the roles DC have taken on post Glee, Hedwig and this seem like pretty challenging roles for an actor. He sure has guts! He'll pretty much walk into this play blind.

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I agree, dusty.  He's taking on some interesting projects, post-Glee.   He seems to be selective about what projects he's taking on, and has chosen some very challenging theater projects, as you said.  

I just realized this, but White Rabbit Red Rabbit is his first play (post-Glee) where he is in the lead role, his first non-musical theater project (as lead).  He's done plays in college   Lilikoiluv and I had talked about this before, how we were hoping that at some point, Darren take on some plays, as well as musicals.  

I would really like to go to this.  I hope we get some reviews on Darren's performance.

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:That sounds very interesting, not to mention challenging. I have to say I'm impressed with the roles DC have taken on post Glee, Hedwig and this seem like pretty challenging roles for an actor. He sure has guts! He'll pretty much walk into this play blind.

Darren has been pretty fearless when it comes to his theater projects.  He decided to do "How to Succeed in Business" for only 3 weeks, during his winter holiday break from Glee.  Then soon after Glee ended, he jumped into a strenuous 2-person show in the lead role of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch."    I think it was Stephen Trask who commented once during an interview that Darren is pretty fearless.

19Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Empty White Rabbit Red Rabbit Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

It's a bit confusing, but it seems there are a couple of ways to buy tickets to White Rabbit Red Rabbit.

In the BroadwayWorld.com article, it is stated:  "Tickets to performances of White Rabbit Red Rabbit are available via Telecharge.com/ 212-239-6200."

There is also a Playbill article:  Darren Criss, Michael Urie and Ramin Karimloo Join White Rabbit Red Rabbit.
The Playbill article links you to Telecharge.com (along with the Telecharge telephone number).  I entered the name of the play and got this window:  White Rabbit Red Rabbit

In the Broadway.com article, there is a button to click on to buy tickets.  If you click on "Buy tickets," you will be taken to another window that appears to still be on Broadway.com.  Enter the correct date (August 29) to see Darren's performance. 

Note:  Be careful to enter the correct date: August 29, 2016.

Note:  I looked up the capacity of Westside Theatre in NYC, and it appears that it is a tiny venue, with a capacity of 548 seats.  If you are going to buy tickets, get them soon.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Continuing on Darren's love of clowns:

Quoting myself:

Poppy wrote:haha!  Look what I found!

Enlarge this image
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_ljfo9ddVRe1qcyltvo1_500
fuckyeahstarkidpotter:
Taking his Graduation 100% serious
via yanks02

And this little gem (with the added bonus of the cute and quirky Dianna):
Moses - Darren's Miscellaneous Theater Work for 2015- 2016 (Table Readings, Short-Term Projects, etc.) Tumblr_n20rsszXl51suao84o1_500
(Source: klainernity, via coeurseul)
via rrrumbleroar

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum