Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Past Fan Experiences

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Past Fan Experiences Fri May 20, 2016 10:59 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post about past Fan Experiences.   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Miscellaneous News"), please let me know.   Thank you!  :happy face

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I love this gif set, which shows both how grateful Darren is to his fans and how gracious he is to his fans, which I absolutely love about him.

darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o8_250  darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o7_250

darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o3_250  darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o4_250

darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o9_r1_250  darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o6_250

darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o2_250  darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_mh6zkg8HJo1qlujf1o1_250
twelve days of darren criss - day 1 - why do you love darren?
sebchris

A cute story about Darren taking the time to talk to some kids after he spent a day filming Glee in NYC.   I couldn't post the pics that came with the story.  Click on the link to see the pics.

"Darren Criss took time to meet my kids after filming Glee in New York City yesterday. 

My youngest wants to be an actor, so it was great for him to be able to see a TV show being made. Darren talked to him about it briefly and afterwards, at dinner, I asked my son what he had learned about being an actor that day. He said- 'You should always make time for your fans, because without them, mom, you’re not really famous, are you?'

Thank you Darren for being an awesome role model, you truly created an inspirational moment for my son yesterday."  bellemorephoto

A fan account of how Darren was nice enough to really try to interact with fans at the Fox Fan Front 2013.  The event was supposed to start on May 13 at 2 pm, but people started lining up the night before or early that morning.   This is what she wrote:

"Were these crazy fans there because of their love of Fox? No – they were there for their love of Glee, or more specifically, their love for Darren Criss.

It was not surprising in the slightest that an entire network’s event that was supposed to be about all of Fox’s returning programming and new programs for the fall ended up being a love fest by the fan’s for Darren Criss – one of Glee’s highly featured actors for the past two seasons (who started off as a guest star in the show’s second season). Though Darren wasn’t even part of the show’s original cast, he has quickly become its biggest draw because of who he is. He’s Darren Freakin’ Criss – and he’s probably the nicest famous person you could ever hope to meet.

[. . .]

Since most people (myself included) were there for Glee, the biggest cheers erupted when the Glee cast was announced. Chris Colfer, Lea Michele, Jenna Ushkowitz, Kevin McHale, Jane Lynch and Matthew Morrison paraded in front of the crowd, most of them extremely quickly. A couple people got pictures or autographs with the younger cast members. Jane answered some fan questions on stage. Matthew posed for a fair amount of photos. But, Chris, Lea, Jenna and Kevin pretty much flew by.

Then, the host announced that Darren Criss was there and the crowd cheered. Darren entered the tent and started at the very end and worked his way s-l-o-w-l-y down to the other end. He took pictures with as many people as he could, stopped and signed things, had small conversations with people, and basically was the most gracious person at that event. He must have known a majority of the fans were there for him and he was kind enough to try and oblige as many of them as possible. He was on the floor for far longer than any other person at that event. Numerous actors came and went by in the time it took Darren to move a few feet.

. . .  It was nice, as a fan, to watch him interact with others. He’s truly one of the nicest celebrities I’ve had the opportunity to meet/interact with before and I whole heartedly believe that he is 100% sincere in how kind he acts toward his fans (even though some of them can get a bit crazy)."  watchwithkate

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total

3darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:28 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
-
Voices for the Voiceless:  Stars for Foster Kids, NYC. June 29, 2015.

This was a benefit concert. 
The funds raised went to "You Gotta Believe," a charity whose goal is to find permanent homes for older kids and teens in the foster care system, who are at risk of being homeless once they age out of the foster system.  

In this video, Seth Rudetsky and his husband James Wesley talked about behind-the-scenes for "Voices for the Voiceless:  Stars for Foster Kids."

James Wesley, who seems to be such a kind soul, talked about how the kids were going to be on a Broadway stage for that night.  He talked about how many of the kids who he worked with on that night had faced so much in their lives, but for that night, they would know their voices were heard.   For that night, they would have a memory that they could hold onto. 

At around Point 2:15, James talked about one of the moments that especially touched him.    He talked about a young woman who had experienced a lot of trauma in her life.  She happened to be a big fan of Darren.  James introduced her to Darren.  He exclaimed that Darren gave her the biggest hug, and that Darren talked to her for 5 minutes, "as if he had all the time in the world."   He said she was nervous, but that Darren was very reassuring.  James said he fell in love with her, and he fell in love with Darren. 

That is such a touching story.  As James said, it is such a lasting gift to give people who have hardship in their lives such a memory.  I know I have read about fans who have had obstacles and challenges in their lives, and meeting Darren was something that inspired them, was something that they could hold onto, as James said, until things became better in their lives. 

--

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

4darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:05 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

This person is a long-time Hedwig fan, having seen it over 40 times on Broadway.  She is a huge fan of JCM.   She saw Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway four times.   Here is her comment about how Darren interacts with his fans:
no-sleep-till-bklyn wrote:
I went back to the Belasco to stagedoor since I didn’t on Tuesday! Darren is such a sweetheart and really great to his fans. He spends so much time talking to them. I even spoke to him for a second. I have really bad anxiety and it’s hard for me to talk to a regular person so it’s 20x worse when it’s a celebrity but he is so easy to talk too. Told him I saw his first performance and came back. He thanked me for returning. Told him I’ve seen all Hedwigs and he’s doing a great job. He said he wished he’d been able to see Andrew and Michael.

no-sleep-till-bklyn
May 15, 2015

This was touching.   It's unclear, but it also looks like Darren gave this person (Ray) a hug.  :happy face
darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_no9r4cG3Ds1tqbc8so1_500

darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_no9r4cG3Ds1tqbc8so2_500
ray-winters-sings:
I finally got to thank Darren Criss for everything he has done for me on my journey to self acceptance. The day after he appeared on Glee as Blaine, I came out to my best friend. I’ve grown up a lot since, and I’ve come out 100%. I got to meet the man who gave me hope when I was 16 years deep in self hate. Dreams do come true. It does get better. Keep fighting. I promise it’s going to be okay.
(via DCN)

Someone captured a bit of the conversation between Ray and Darren.   Darren appears genuinely touched.

ray-winters-sings:
Someone sent this to me!
It’s the end of me thanking Darren!
He says “What’s your name man?” I tell him, he says “Ray, what a fuckin privilege, good to meet you man, how beautiful.” I then say “Am I allowed to ask for a hug” and he says “You bet your fuckin ass you can” and proceeds to hug me.
Someone caught me meeting my hero on camera. I am so happy right now.
(via DCN)

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

5darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

While Darren was in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway.

Lucas wrote:
Seeing Darren Criss live on Broadway was one of the best things EVER. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is itself such a unique and meaningful show, and Darren, Rebecca and the whole team just made the experience even more awesome! I waited 2 hours for Darren on stage door and he was the coolest guy ever, signing every single one of people's playbills and posters, one by one with a big smile on his face. This whole night was just such a crazy and unforgettable experience, and I'm so glad I had the chance to live it. Thank you Darren and all the people at the Belasco, you're dealing with a show that's gonna live forever in the heart of whoever sees it. #hedwigonbway #hedwigandtheangryinch #darrencriss #rebeccanaomijones #broadway #darrenishedwig

-lucasbrunosales 
July 15, 2015

6darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:20 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Nice comment about Darren's interaction with fans at stage door for Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway.

broadwaygeek3 wrote:
Clumsydude15 I didn't mean to imply he wasn't genuine with his interaction with his fans. He truly was.He engages them and answers questions and makes small talk.  He is really very sweet.I put act in quotes because when the person near us starts telling him a story about the last time they met and asks his he remembered he smiles and says oh sure. Really doubt he remembers with as many people he has interacted with.Yet, He makes them feel special.Watching him interact with them has made me a fan of his and I will support his work in the future because of that.I also thought he was very talented.The man moved around a lot...it appears he moves and dances around a lot more than previous Hedwigs and he sounded great doing it.Which is really incredible.I highly recommend seeing this. Rebecca was also wonderful!

(via BroadwayWorld.com Message Board)
Posted July 1, 2015

7darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

During Darren's run on Hedwig.  :happy face

bandwagonjumping wrote:
On Saturday night room108 and I left the show to go back to the hotel to get ready for our night out . . . When we got back to the times square area we were like “do you want to see what’s up at the stage door?” so we headed over to the Belasco.

When we got there sometime well after 12 Darren was still out there signing for the sizable amount of people who were still there waiting. While we loitered for a bit we encountered a few people who stumbled across him.

[. . . ]

Then there was also an older gay man (maybe late 50s-late 60sish? I’m awful at guessing ages) who came out of the restaurant and asked us how long he’d been out there and if this was normal for him to do this and he was mildly bowled over when we told him that Darren had likely been out for at least an hour and he’s done it for this long every single night for the last three months. He had just been out to dinner with his husband so they moved a bit further down the block for a few minutes but a little later they came back over and the guys husband started talking to us again. He asked us if we’d seen the show before and he said that they’d seen NPH in and thought he was great and were fans of JCM and the movie . . . when they saw Darren not too long ago they were just so in awe of how completely spectacular he was. They even had trouble finding the words for how amazing they thought he was so there was a lot of gesticulation and facial expressions. I don’t know what they knew of him before Hedwig but his performance made them fans of him as a performer and his dedication to taking the time to sign at the stage door for so long every night made them fans of him as a person.

-bandwagonjumping
July 20, 2015
via tirpse

Very nice comment about Darren's kindness to fans at stage door (of Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway). 

darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_nrkd88cjK81uo6446o1_500
Source:  @JohnnyOleks, July 15, 2015

July 15, 2015

Johnny Oleksinski is an entertainment writer for the New York Post.

-

8darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks for all of these, Poppy.  This thread makes me so emotional with love and pride for the heart and graciousness of Darren Criss.  

This lovely sharing just came across my tumblr dash and I thought I'd bring it here.  It was added to a post with Darren's peformance of "Not Alone" at the 2011 Trevor Live.  

thetrevorproject:
“Baby, I’m not alone, cause you’re here with me. And nothing’s ever gonna take us down, cause nothing can keep me from lovin’ you and you know it’s true.”

annecholloway:
Truth time: This was the first time I had ever heard this song. I didn’t know anything about Starkid or Darren except for the little I had seen of him on Glee the month before this performance. I completely fell in love with the message of it, and it sparked my curiosity enough that I googled it. I didn’t know what the word fangirl meant. I didn’t understand homosexuality. I was a right-wing, Christian, homophobic bigot. This recording caught the stray tinder in my heart and started the beginning of a fire to learn and grow that has brought me to where I am today. I still have a lot to learn about my own privilege and what it means to be an ally, but I have come a long way.

Thank you, Darren.

9darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Aw, thanks so much for posting her comments about how Darren's song, "Not Alone, and his performance at Trevor Live, impacted her views.  So remarkable that the message of his song led to her growth to the ally that she now is.  So very touching.

And I too, am so proud of/touched by/grateful for Darren's kindness.  He has a good and beautiful soul.

I have never followed a celebrity like I have followed Darren Criss.  There are so many talented, good-looking celebrities out there.  But something about Darren's kindness, how hard and how much time he invests in reaching out to people and and to supporting charitable causes, has made me a faithful fan of his.

10darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Empty Re: Past Fan Experiences Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:30 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

This is so Darren, taking the time and energy to spend time with a fan, knowing how much it means to that fan (even when Darren has had a long day).   Again, it is his goodness, his kindness that makes me a loyal fan.  With all the current news about public figures (politicians and celebrities) and their inhumane abuse of power, the tragic way they treat others who are vulnerable--I'm grateful for people like Darren who demonstrate their commitment to being respectful, kind and supportive of people (and humble too).  heart heart heart 
 darrencriss - Past Fan Experiences Tumblr_oz7u5aOoAB1qkrnhgo1_1280

-Source
-Source
-Source

via dcriss-archive

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum