Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

In April 2016, it was announced that The Little Mermaid was coming to the Hollywood Bowl.  Darren was cast as Prince Eric!    :bravo   celebrate   :very happy

I just wanna say how happy I am for Darren!    :cry    This is a dream come true for him.  To sing in a production of a show that he has loved deeply, with music written by his idol Alan Menken.    How over-the-moon happy he must be! I know Darren does not have the traditional booming Broadway voice.  And I'm assuming Alan had some say/influence in the casting, since this Hollywood Bowl production was the brainchild of himself and his representative (Richard Kraft).   So it warms my heart that Alan most likely gave his approval to Darren being cast as Prince Eric.

Some coverage from entertainment sites:

Billboard
Playbill
eonline

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o584k3XGJl1uetdyxo1_500
Criss, 29, will play Ariel’s human love interest, Prince Eric. The character does not sing in the 1989 animated movie but in the Broadway musical, he has solo numbers titled “Her Voice” and “One Step Closer” and also sings in other ensemble songs.
via eonline

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o587u3PZgB1uetdyxo1_500
Official poster for the performance of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl

Darren has a special bond with Ariel.  :happy face
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o5a2uvUW0p1uetdyxo1_500

Darrencriss: I may be Prince Eric at the Hollywood Bowl, but I’ll still always be Ariel in my dressing room by myself with the door closed. MOM GET OUTTA MY ROOM
PRE-SALE HAPPENING NOW with code: Seaweed (Link in bio)

ha!  This is funny.
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o5bo1oK6QJ1uetdyxo1_500
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o5bo1oK6QJ1uetdyxo2_500

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm; edited 3 times in total

2littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Empty Interview about The Little Mermaid Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:18 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

An article in OC Register about The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl. 

"Concert Version of 'The Little Mermaid' will pack them in at the Hollywood Bowl"

"Darren Criss knew people adored the animated Disney musical 'The Little Mermaid,' but the announcement recently of a special live version at the Hollywood Bowl – with Criss as Prince Eric, the human love interest of the mermaid Ariel – really drove home that point, he says.

'Of all the things I’ve ever done, whether it was a show on Broadway or a tour, I have never in my short career had my email, phone and all my connective tissue to the outside world be so saturated and blown up as the day that thing got announced,' says the 29-year-old singer and actor known by many for his role as Blaine Anderson on 'Glee.'

'People love – LOVE – "The Little Mermaid." Big, bold letters, underlined.'

[…] Criss expressed similar sentiment for a movie that meant and still means so much to him he apologized several times for not being able to express himself as well as he wanted.

'I grow inarticulate in trying to make clear how big of a (bleepin’) deal that movie is to guys like me,' Criss says. 'I remember trying to write a bio for the program for this and it was hard for me to encapsulate how significant that movie is to my life without sounding hyperbolic or too cheeseball.'

How big a fan is Criss of 'Little Mermaid' and the Disney musicals? At college in Michigan he used to play Disney songs during brunch at a local cafe, and one day – well, let’s let him tell it.

'So of course I’m playing "Part Of Your World" (from "Little Mermaid") and Alan Menken just walks in,' Criss says. 'And part of me was just, "Oh, sorry, man, I’m so sorry," because you know I’m playing it in my own style.'

Menken apparently didn’t mind: 'He gave me a hundred dollar bill,' Criss says.

'Not only did it change the cultural landscape, but for my generation it’s basically our "Frozen,’'' he says. 'The one mutual friend we all have is the Little Mermaid.'"
OC Register

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

So Darren is selling a new T-shirt through Represent.com (the same site that we were able to get the "Not Alone" t-shirt).  

It's a cute shirt, with Darren's cute 16-year old face.   A portion of the proceeds will go to Musicians On Call.

From dailydarrennews:

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8231f4XNG1uetdyxo1_500
@DarrenCriss: Going live on https://facebook.com/darrencriss soon to take Disney requests and talk #thelittlemermiad

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o823gvAoKA1uetdyxo1_500
Buy a limited edition Darren Criss Tee on Represent.com

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o83uskFrIi1uetdyxo1_500
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o83uskFrIi1uetdyxo2_500

So I missed all the excitement of the Live Stream.  I snoozed, so I losed (and that's not a real word).    But thank goodness Darren made a video on his Facebook (and thank you dailydarrennews for posting it on Youtube!)!

He cracked me up at the beginning of the video, when he was talking about his photo on the t-shirt:

"This is a picture of me my sophomore year of high school . . .  This is me at like 15, 16 years old . . .  saying 'I'm in Love with a Teenage Mermaid,' because that's exactly the look on my face that I would have said that with, when I was 16, and it's still the same expression on my face when I'm basically almost 30."   ha!  giggle   :laughing

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From @DarrenArmy

More info about Darren's part in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.

Darren gets a showcase number.  :bravo

L.A.Times Article: 
In Defense of Ariel:  In a post-'Brave,' post-'Frozen' world, why the time is right for Hollywood Bowl's 'Little Mermaid'

"Those familiar with the film but not the theatrical work — a production of which, coincidentally, opens June 3 at the La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts — will see the film pause to give Prince Eric, performed by Darren Criss of 'Glee,' a showcase number."

Also some more info about what to expect:

"Kraft says he wants the artists to feel they have free rein to interpret the songs, but there are some limitations. 'It's in timed sequence to the film,' says Engel, who along with Kraft last year brought 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' to the Hollywood Bowl.

'We want them to bring their own performance of it, but the music and the words are still in sync with the film,' she says, 'with the character on the screen.'”

Another quote:

“'I discovered that three of the main characters in the movie don't have any songs,' says veteran manger-agent Richard Kraft, who also serves as the show’s creative director and, with Laura Engel, oversees Kraft-Engel Management.

'But there was a Broadway show where those characters did have songs, so we inserted into the evening some of the Broadway songs to give the other characters a chance to sing. We went back to the original movie, and found where in the movie [the song] would be, and we're building the movie around that premise.'"

Darren is in rehearsals today for The Little Mermaid.  :happy face

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8663nBb5G1uetdyxo1_500
rebelwilson Under the Sea!!
darrencriss … Like, it’s REALLY happening! #UnderTheSea

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

AW, this is sweet.  I can imagine what a happy boy you are, Darren!  Another dream come true, to work with your idol, Alan Menken, in one of Alan's events, singing a song from The Little Mermaid, which you have loved for so long!  :happy face ❤
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o86mikEF851uetdyxo1_500

So nice of some of Darren's friends, and Darren's dad (awwww) "liking" Darren's rehearsal pic.   :love
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o869f5aLxY1rr00q0o1_500
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o869f5aLxY1rr00q0o2_r1_500

Tomorrow is Friday!  The first of The Little Mermaid performances!   I'll be going to the Saturday show.  I can't wait!    Just a tad excited about this!   excited   :so happy      celebration dance!    
I'll be interested in seeing what my husband thinks of Darren's performance.  He's a big fan of Sara Bareilles too.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I can't embed some of the videos on dailydarrennews of Darren and the cast of The Little Mermaid rehearsing today.   Go here to dailydarrennews-little mermaid rehearsals.

You can just hear how wonderful the live orchestra will sound.    The cast looks very relaxed and joyful.  That makes me so happy that Darren is having such a wonderful time.  What a wonderful group of folks!  ❤  applause

Sara and Darren singing:  fallenjunkie- Sara's snapchat, Darren singing

Darren dancing and singing with the cast:  fallenjunkie Video-John Stamos Snapchat

Darren dancing (but no audio):   fallenjunkie Video -Rebel Wilson's snapchat

Darren being enthusiastic about the orchestra:  fallenjunkie-Sara Bareilles' snapchat

Darren watching:  fallenjunkie-Sara's snapchat, Darren watching.

And  Darren's Instagram,  with his enthusiastic message:  "It's Happening!!!"

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy wrote:So nice of some of Darren's friends, and Darren's dad (awwww) "liking" Darren's rehearsal pic.   :love
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o869f5aLxY1rr00q0o1_500
That's Chuck! Wink I don't think Darren's parents have any social media accounts.
Heather Morris apparently liked it, too.
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o867qwkZZX1rmj2nlo1_540

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin wrote:That's Chuck! littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Icon_wink I don't think Darren's parents have any social media accounts.

Hi Lin!
Oh, you're right!  haha!   :big grin   I had no idea if Darren's dad or mom have any social media, so thanks for telling me this.   I didn't even think, until right now, that Chuck and Darren's dad share the name, Charles.    (Chuck is the informal form of Charles?  Ok, I get it now.  :amused )

One of my favorite things is the friendship and support that Darren and Chuck give to each other.  Siblings are not always so close, so it's really heartwarming to see how much these two brothers adore and support each other.   :love

Lin wrote:Heather Morris apparently liked it, too.

Enlarge this image
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o867qwkZZX1rmj2nlo1_540

Thanks so much for posting that, Lin.  Aw, that's so nice of Heather to "like" Darren's video.   I always liked their friendship.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you dailydarrennews for capturing every bit of Darren-related news!

A new article from People.com of Darren in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.   It's a really nice article.  I'm going to quote the entire article, since it's short and its whole focus is on Darren.

Darren Criss on Playing Prince Eric in Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert:  'Let's Be Honest, I Wanted to Be Ariel'

Being a part of Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert is a childhood dream come true for Darren Criss, but Prince Eric wasn't the character he grew up idolizing.

"Prince Eric is great, but let's be honest, I wanted to be Ariel," the former Glee star tells PEOPLE with a laugh.

But when Criss was approached to participate in the Live in Concert version of the film at The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, he almost passed up on the opportunity.

"I first thought, 'Eric doesn't sing.' But then they told me they wanted to include songs from the Broadway version. That got my attention," he says.

After hearing the Broadway soundtrack, the 29-year-old asked the producers if he could re-envision the song to better fit his voice.

"I don't have a big, Broadway voice, so I am making it a bit more pop-contemporary," says Criss, who will play the guitar and be backed by a full orchestra during the song. "That said, it's still going to be a challenge."

His song aside, Criss is most excited to be participating in the production with some of his favorite actors and singers.

"I really wanted to celebrate The Little Mermaid, but I would not be willing to get up in front of all those Disney fans if I wasn't doing it with people that I admire and have a lot of respect for as performers," Criss says of working with Sara Bareilles as Ariel, Tituss Burgess as Sebastian the Crab, Rebel Wilson as Ursula and John Stamos as Chef Louis.

"The Little Mermaid is a movie that meant so much to me as a kid," Criss says. "I just love that it is going to be celebrated – and that I get to be a part of it."

Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert will be performed Friday, Saturday and Monday nights at 8 p.m. at The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
People.com

I admire Darren for acknowledging his strengths and limitations, and being assertive about adjusting his material.  (A lesson he learned from working on Glee?)    Likewise, I also admire the producers for working with Darren, in being flexible with the artists' interpretation of the songs.   I have to think that Alan Menken also gave his stamp of approval in the decision-making as well.   Such a wonderful group of people for Darren to work with!

In the article, the writer and Darren mention "the song" (singular versus plural) that Darren will be playing with his guitar and the orchestra.   Prince Eric had two solos in the Broadway production, "Her Voice," and "One Step Closer."  

My guess is that Darren will be singing at least "Her Voice" (and hopefully "One Step Closer," but it's unclear), since "Her Voice" is the more emotional of the two, about how deeply Prince Eric feels about Ariel, and is such a beautiful song, lyrically and melodically.  

Nice touch on Darren's part to put in a word in the article about how honored he is to be working with this talented cast.

I like how the article mentions Darren's long-standing affection and bond with The Little Mermaid, "Being a part of Disney's The Little Mermaid Live in Concert is a childhood dream come true for Darren Criss, but Prince Eric wasn't the character he was idolizing."  ha!  As fans of Darren, we all knew that Darren connects the most with Ariel.  :amused  

Aw, and nice way to close the article:  "'The Little Mermaid is a movie that meant so much to me as a kid,' Criss says, 'I just love that it is going to be celebrated--and that I get to be a part of it.'"    Typical Darren, humble, grateful, and feeling blessed and honored.  I love that about him.   Well done, Darren. 

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews,

New article which includes some of the fun rehearsal videos by the cast: 

Sara Bareilles, John Stamos, Darren Criss tease Little Mermaid live show

Note:  I wish these last two articles would also acknowledge that Norm Lewis is starring as King Titon in these productions as well.    He has an amazing voice, and he is reprising his role from the Broadway production.

Need to add Mia's tweet:
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87nujnUpD1uetdyxo1_500
Photo

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87nauzcT21uetdyxo1_500

I wonder what John's avatar is of? confused  I don't know

More pics and videos, courtesy of dailydarrennews and fallenjunkie.

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87qnprTzT1uetdyxo1_500

rebelwilson: Looking forward to seeing everyone at The Hollywood Bowl tonight xx

ha!  Rebel's face in the background!  She's so funny.  :laughing
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87qr0cuMF1uetdyxo1_500
darrencriss: Kiss Cam!

Darren must be so ecstatic to meet the original voice of Ariel!  :smiley-love073
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87qwdapbb1uetdyxo1_500
jodi.benson: Thrilled to sing with @darrencriss
dailydarrennews

Very cute!  The two Ariels with Darren.  :happy face :love
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87rh7zh1i1uetdyxo1_500
jodi.benson: @hollywoodbowl The Little Mermaid memories with @sarabareilles @darrencriss
dailydarrennews

Aw, this is a great video, John Stamos and Darren "singing" Ariel's voice.  :biggrin.png:    Funny!   Sorry I can't embed.  :laughing
fallenjunkie- Darren and John Stamos during soundcheck for The Little Mermaid via John’s Snapchat
(via  dailydarrennews)

Darren making a mention of his "I'm in love with a teenage mermaid" shirt.  I'll be buying one, especially since partial proceeds go to Musicians on Call.  :happy face

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87r8b32pz1uetdyxo1_500

darrencriss Who’s in ♥️ with a teenage mermaid? THIS guy. New shirt on represent.com!
dailydarrennews

Instagram Video, from Darren about his t-shirt.  Silly man!  :amused
darrencriss: "This makes more sense. Thanks again Represent.com … Fun fact: this is me in high school the same year Ariel woulda been in high school"

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 4 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews,

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87tob9sA21uetdyxo1_500
@TerriSeymour: Good luck @johnstamos @rebelwilson @darrencriss with the #TheLittleMermaid concert tonight @hollywoodbowl #ExtraTv

Huh, for some reason, I can't make the pics line up the way they do on dailydarrennews.  confused
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87udvBXfh1uetdyxo1_250  littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87udvBXfh1uetdyxo3_250

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o87udvBXfh1uetdyxo2_500
Via Elsie Fest’s Snapchat | June 3

Another cute, pre-concert video, this time with Tituss in it too.  Cute!   Love Tituss's funny facial expression.  :amused
dailydarrennews-John Stamos' Snapchat (June 3)

dailydarrennews's decision to do masterposts makes a lot of sense.  I'm just grateful that they are so nice about spending all their time and energy to find, collect, and post all this coverage of Darren!  :thank you bow to you

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 3, 2016

I apologize, usually I try to put things in order of how they were posted by dailydarrennews or @Darren Army.   But I wanted to put at the top of this long post, that Darren did the arrangement of "Her Voice" with Jeffrey Hoeppner, and also wanted to put a full audio of the quartet of "If Only" at the top of this post. 

Darren is singing "Her Voice!"
From @DarrenArmy
Tweet (with Photo) from someone at The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl tonight (June 3, Friday).

"Her Voice" Arranged by Darren Criss & Jeffrey Hoeppner.
Source

Beautiful song "If Only" Performed by Darren, Sara, Tituss, and Norm.  So lovely.  Darren did a wonderful  job.  :love   Norm's voice though.  :cry

If Only (The Little Mermaid Live at the Hollywood Bowl)

lovetheblazer
Source
via dailydarrennews

From dailydarrennews:

Very sweet message from Maddy. :happy face
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o887gpB67e1uetdyxo1_500

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o887gpB67e1uetdyxo2_500
maddya109
 @darrencriss You are animated, upbeat, funny, and awesome! Your talent inspires so many people! I cannot wait to see your performance in The Little Mermaid Concert!!!

ashleysutherlandwinch It’s a pretty amazing day @hollywoodbowl #americaninmacau

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o886dks8fk1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
source

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o888b5ub7O1uetdyxo1_250  littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o888b5ub7O1uetdyxo2_250

Camilla‏ .@DarrenCriss introducing Alan Menkin #littlemermaid

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88gvhbPgN1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
jodi.benson: Fantastic performance @darrencriss #littlemermaidlive

Nice group photo
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88gyb9zVw1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
@SaraBareilles: This is my dream. And it just happened. Omg. #gratefulmermaid

Aw, cute pic! 
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88lnvkycq1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
jodi.benson: I think he’s a Mermaid fan! Loved sharing the stage with you tonight @darrencriss  You are an incredible talent and such a kind person #littlemermaidlive #DreamBigPrincess

Some short videos of Darren performing tonight:

From dailydarrennews: Short Video of Darren singing tonight ("Her Voice"):
disneylandfitgirl video, via belleybuttons

From @DarrenArmy
Another short video of Darren singing tonight
Ashley Weston's snapchat

From @DarrenArmy
Another short video of Darren tonight:
@PatrickGomezLA

And a nice video of curtain call
suzteel: The majority of the bows from The Little Mermaid tonight.

oh yeah dance!    Video of Cast dancing at the end of curtain call:
The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016   Source

Very short video clip of Darren coming out for his bow (be warned:  loud screaming from audience member):
lemonlimeon:
Darren’s curtain call at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. (6/3/16)

Some pics of Darren performing tonight:

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o888xkQpmi1uetdyxo1_250 

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o888xkQpmi1uetdyxo4_r1_250

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o888xkQpmi1uetdyxo8_r1_500
 The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016   x/  x  /  x]

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88hegw12j1uetdyxo2_250 

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88hegw12j1uetdyxo8_r1_250 

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88hegw12j1uetdyxo10_r1_250
x /  x  /  x

One of my GF pals took a pic with Darren!!   :love   I'm so happy for her!   oh yeah dance! :very happy   celebration dance!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 7 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 3, 2016.

Yes!   A long video of Darren performing "Her Voice"!!  :bravo
From dailydarrennews:

From dailydarrennews:

From @DarrenArmy,  A full video of the quartet of "If Only"!!

From dailydarrennews: 
Compilation of clips of Darren singing ‘Her Voice’ at The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016
Click on: dailydarrennews   
Sources:  [x/x/x/x]

From dailydarrennews:   Video: "Guys. Little Mermaid Live In Concert was AH-MAZING. Here’s a short clip of when they all came back out to say bye and finish the night off."   ragtagheart:

More short videos from @DarrenArmy

Video Clip of of Sara and Darren singing together ("If Only"?):  Source

Video Clip of Darren singing "Her Voice":  Source

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'm going to see The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl tonight, so I won't be updating this forum much before the show tonight.   I'll post my views on the show tomorrow (my guess is it's gonna be two thumbs up!  thumbs up ).   

dailydarrennews and  @DarrenArmy are doing a fantastic job of catching all the news!  We are so lucky to have such devoted Darren fans!! :bravo   bow to you   :hug

Courtesy of dailydarrennews, one more youtube video of last night (June 3, Friday) of "If Only."   Beautifully done.

Another youtube video of Darren singing "Her Voice" (6/3/16) added:

From dailydarrennews:  another compilation of Darren singing "Her Voice" on June 3, 2016:  dailydarrennews
Also:  opalineskies/ Source:  x/x/x/x

If you are interested, an article from broadwayworld.com captured some videos of the rest of the cast.

dailydarrennews captured some reviews!   Some nice things said.  applause

“Glee” star Darren Criss gets to add some depth to the animated Prince Eric with the addition of the song “Her Voice.” Criss even provides accompaniment on the guitar, noting “I don’t play the flute” like his animated counterpart

- L.A. Theater Review: ‘The Little Mermaid in Concert’ at the Hollywood Bowl | Variety.com

Criss looked and played the part of Eric perfectly as well, showcasing his smooth, mesmerizing vocals.

- eonline’s review of Hollywood Bowl’s Little Mermaid

Darren Criss as Prince Eric: Damn, the girls went nuts for this. So much high-pitched screaming for this Glee alum. Of all the performers costumes that were an homage to their characters, Criss is the one who really went for it: White button-up top (with the top several buttons un-buttoned, to the delight of all those fangirls, I’m sure), blue jeans, black boots, and red makeshift belt. For the song from the Broadway show “Her Voice,” he said to the crowd, “I can’t play the flute, but I can play the guitar,” and he proceeded to to just that (Again, the fangirls went nuts. I don’t know how they were still upright.), channeling Sting in the song that had a bit of a Police-like quality in this show. Criss was also the show’s MC, announcing from offstage each singer — though for his own entrance, he said, “Ladies and gentlemen — oh, it’s me.”

-  ‘Little Mermaid’ live concert screening an utter delight for Disney fans | hitfix

One more quote from the  hitfix  article:

"The performers were so dynamic, from Criss’ passion to Bareilles’ sweet, heartfelt performance to Burgess looking like he’s about to burst with utter joy."

Pics from last night (June 3):

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88iu7b2Yz1uetdyxo6_r1_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88iu7b2Yz1uetdyxo3_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88iu7b2Yz1uetdyxo7_r1_1280
dailydarrennews
x/  x  /  x

He just looks so happy here (hugging Delaney, Jodi Benson's daughter).
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o89e8q9OjU1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
June 3, 2016 | Source

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 pm; edited 6 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

My Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016 (Part 1 of 3)

Ah, this evening was magical.  Truly it was.  It surpassed my expectations, and as a fan of so many of the actors/singers featured in this cast, as well as a fan of the film and Mr. Alan Menken, that's saying a lot.

So I know that dailydarrennews  (because they are so efficient--are they not doing a fantastic job of capturing all The Little Mermaid moments?!) already has posted a very nice review by juleswritesthis of this June 4 performance    Some parts of my review may seem repetitive, since Jules and I share similar opinions about tonight. 

Let me start by saying that Alan Menken performed before the film and concert began.  Darren introduced him.   As Jules said, when I saw that Darren had King Triton's trident, I had to smile, because well, just quintessential Darren, right?  So quirky and fun-loving, his own little homage to The Little Mermaid in his own Darren-kind-of-way.  :amused    

Note:  I had to edit this one more time to add pics of Darren with King Triton's trident.  It's so funny.
:big grin

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a3wxBJpP1uetdyxo1_250  littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a3wxBJpP1uetdyxo2_250
dailydarrennews
Hollywood Bowl’s Little Mermaid - June 4, 2016 | source

One thing I do want to mention is that I enjoyed so much getting to see and hear Alan Menken, such a legend, perform a medley of his hit songs from his films.   He was so animated and passionate, it was truly a special treat to see him perform his own work. 

Sara's voice was beautiful.  I've always admired her talent as a singer before, but I did not expect to be so impressed with the beauty of her voice, how well she expressed emotion in her singing, and her vocal control.   Her physical movements and facial expression really added to her performance as well.    Since this was the first time I had seen all of the cast perform live, except for Darren, I would say that Tituss as Sebastian impressed me the most of those who I had not seen before.  He really became his character, his accent, his body movements, the various emotions of Sebastian reflected in his voice as he sang his songs.   His voice is amazing, so full of character and so animated, so beautiful in its tone and emotion.   I am a fan.   Norm played King Triton, Ariel's father, and his voice is astounding in its power and control (which so aptly captures who King Triton is at first), a gorgeous voice.   John as Chef Louis was funny.  I remember his style of singing was mostly "talk-singing," and a large part of his major scene was physical comedy (the "conducting" described by Jules), so I didn't get a real sense of his singing voice, but good comedic acting (Blaine's bro Cooper would approve).  I also felt I did not get a good sense of Rebel's singing voice, but let me say, that she put so much into her acting.  She strutted, she frowned, she postured, well, she just really did all that she possibly could to sell Ursula, and she succeeded.  Well done, Rebel!  Joshua Colley was adorable and I can see he is a very talented kid. 

Ok, now for the main course.   As most people know after seeing the videos, Darren's one solo was "Her Voice."   He also had a substantial part in the quartet of "If Only."   

Courtesy of dailydarrennews, here is "Her Voice" (June 4 performance):

I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but "Her Voice" was not in the animated film.  It was in the Broadway production of The Little Mermaid.   For this event at the Hollywood Bowl, they played the animated film on the large screen and when a character would sing certain songs, they would have the performer come on stage to sing, all the while synchronized with the singing by the animated character while the film played (but the film would be silent because the stage performer would be singing).   Since "Her Voice" was not in the film, they played the film leading up to a scene involving Prince Eric.  Then they stopped the film and had Darren appear on stage to sing.  So even though the song was not in the film, there was a narrative context for the song.  The film up to that point, showed how Prince Eric felt, after being stranded on the shore after his ship sunk and being half-conscious, as a worried Ariel looked at him and sang.   He remembers this beautiful voice when he first struggled into consciousness, connected to a moment when he was in need of help, when he found himself lucky to be alive (because Ariel swam him to safety while he was unconscious).  The lyrics to this song may be found here: allmusicals.com.

Ok, so back to Darren's performance of "Her Voice."

There is one small (constructive) criticism I would say about the performance.   I would say that I would have liked to have him lose the guitar while he sang this song.   And the reason why I say this, is that for Darren, he conveys so much in his body language.    Because Darren was playing the guitar, I felt that he wasn't able to use his upper body as much, because Darren conveys a lot of emotion from his character by the way he holds himself (his posture), and in the movement of his arms and hands.

So that's just one thing.  As for his vocal performance, I loved it!   Many times when I see Darren perform (via someone videotaping a performance), I can hear how much he has grown vocally.   In this performance, I could hear and admire how much Darren's vocal control has improved, because it really has.  I really thought Darren did a wonderful job (as my husband can attest to, due to the huge smile on my face during the entire song performance.  :amused )   It was truly a joy for me to see and hear him perform this lovely song live.   I could hear the emotion in his voice, and to me, emotion is almost always the most important part of a song performance (for both a concert, and for a musical performance during a theater production).   hitfix reviewed the June 3 performance, and I agree with that reviewer that Darren delivered a passionate performance.  I also agree with another reviewer of the June 3 perfomance from Variety.com that Darren's performance of "Her Voice" added depth and understanding of the emotional state of Prince Eric, in terms of how deeply he was affected by Ariel's voice during his moment of need.   His tone was beautiful.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 9 times in total

Thanks for your review! thumbs up I'm glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed the show so much!

Darren looks and sounds great in all the pictures and videos. This concert was such a fun little opportunity for him, I'm happy for him that he got to work with so many friends/idols/awesome people.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lin! 

You're welcome, Lin.  I went back and edited the first part of my review a few times, to add the names of the sites that reviewed Darren's June 3 performance, and then correct grammar stuff and typos (I kept typing "King Titon," not "Triton," and apparently not catching the typos all at one time.  Multiple oops.  Rolling Eyes )  Plus, apparently my hubby is shy about his views being posted by me, so I took that out, even though his view was very positive (sorry hubby!). :smiley-embaras 

Lin wrote:Darren looks and sounds great in all the pictures and videos. This concert was such a fun little opportunity for him, I'm happy for him that he got to work with so many friends/idols/awesome people.

I so agree, Lin.  This concert was such a great opportunity for him, aside from the nice exposure to many people, he got to work with one of his idols, Alan Menken, and to work with some very talented people who also seemed very nice and laid back, just a really fun group of people.   One of my favorite parts of the night was at curtain call.  On stage, the whole cast was just having so much fun, dancing and enjoying the evening.  The whole group, including Alan Menken, sang together on stage ("Under the Sea").  Darren in particular was really dancing up there, as you can see in people's videos, just having a blast.  I love how much Darren relishes life and really lives in the moment!  :love

My Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016 (Part 2 of 3)

dailydarrennews posted this video of the June 4 performance of "If Only."

Ok, so just a short little review of "If Only."  This was a lovely quartet.  Sara sang first, then Darren walked on stage singing his part, then Tituss/Sebastian joined them, followed by Norm/King Triton.  Everyone did wonderfully on this song!  Just a beautiful song.   I loved the overlapping vocals.   Sometimes it is hard to make out the lyrics of each character because they overlap, so you can find the lyrics broken down by character here:  allmusicals.com.  

I agree with Jules in her review that Darren really shined in this song.  While Sara was singing, I felt a sense of gentle wistfulness from Ariel, of how much she wanted to express her feelings for Prince Eric to him.   Then when Darren came on stage, you saw the contrast with Prince Eric's emotions. From his first step on stage, I saw through Darren's acting, along with his voice, how very sad and conflicted Prince Eric felt.  You felt the confusion that Prince Eric was feeling, over his bond with the Ariel who he has grown to know and care about (who lost her voice), versus his longing to find the woman with the beautiful voice that he connects with the time he felt so lucky to be alive.  You felt Prince Eric's fear of losing this Ariel he has grown to love, because he was searching for another woman.   Really, truly very impressive.  During the course of the song, Darren's voice would just soar, as Jules mentioned,  with these wonderful notes, and just as importantly, would soar with emotion.   Near the end of the song, Darren had to hold this note for quite a while to the very end of the song (starting around point 4:35 in the video).   Again, quite impressive!  Just lovely.   So Prince Eric/Darren's note, his soft, sad voice, is the last thing we hear when the song ends.  The last words Prince Eric/Darren sings are:  "But Ill lose her." 

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I'm also happy you had such a good time watching the show :happy face

Personally, I always prefer that singers let their musicians play the instruments and are more invested in the "body language".

19littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Empty The Little Mermaid - June 3 performance Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jeremy!

Jeremy wrote:I'm also happy you had such a good time watching the show littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 3308115737

Aw, thank you, Jeremy.  :happy face

Jeremy wrote:
Personally, I always prefer that singers let their musicians play the instruments and are more invested in the "body language".

When it's Darren singing his own music and his covers of non-theater-related songs, I enjoy him playing his musical instruments.  Or in the setting of Elsie Fest, I enjoyed listening to Darren playing his guitar while he sang songs from Broadway shows, because that was more of a concert or music festival.    I think when it's in the setting of singing a song from a theater piece, where the focus is on the "scene" from the theater piece that is associated with the song, I prefer the performer to sing and act out the performance, with like you said, letting the musicians play the instruments (unless the character from the theater piece was playing an instrument, then it's part of the scene from that theater piece). 

Nice to see Dylan supporting Darren.  :happy face
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o88solIJsI1uetdyxo1_500
dylansaunders: A truly epic experience watching this fellow take the stage at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. Congrats DC!

Trisha Paytas is an American actress, entertainer, model, author and YouTube personality.  Her video and message:

tirpse With video:
"Trisha Paytas got to see this gorgeousness up close and personal last night. Prince Eric will always be bae @DarrenCriss"

June 3 Performance

This is really nice!  Periscopes of the June 3 show.
dailydarrennews
Via @mrjanallinone​:

•  First part 
  •  Second Part - Darren sings Her Voice and If only

Via @UniqueLexique:

• First Part
  • Second Part - Part Of Your World
  • Third Part - Poor Unfortunate Souls
  • Fourth Part - Her Voice, Les poissons
  • Fifth Part - Kiss The Girl, If Only
  • Sixth Part - Jodie Benson and Curtain Call

A really nice close up of Darren singing "Her Voice,"  June 3, which dailydarrennews captured as part of a compilation on youtube.
Source: Erik Keskinen

Another compilation of clips-June 3

"Her Voice," June 3. dailydarrennews.
Darren singing Her Voice - June 3, 2016 | Source

"Her Voice" (full song) June 3.  dailydarrennews - by x-monika-x:
Darren Criss as Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl - June 3, 2016

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 pm; edited 8 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016

Videos:

Most of the Songs, June 4

"Her Voice," June 4

"If Only," June 4

"If Only," June 4

"Her Voice," June 4 - dailydarrencriss- by twobirdsonesong:
Clip of “Her Voice” // Little Mermaid Live @ The Hollywood Bowl // 6.04.16

This is so cute:  Darren is dancing up a storm at curtain call.  He looks so happy.  :happy face

rachielgf
"Of course Darren is the one dancing his butt off. This show was amazing!"
via dailydarrennews

"Her Voice," June 4, dailydarrennews
Source

So Darren taking over EW's instagram yesterday (Saturday June 4).  Should be fun.  :amused
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o89a467GPF1uetdyxo1_500

@EW: Prince Eric (AKA @DarrenCriss) is taking over our Instagram before tonight’s performance of #TheLittleMermaid!

Darren talking about taking over @entertainment weekly (Video):
dailydarrennews
darrencriss I’m takin over @entertainmentweekly for #LittleMermaidLIVE so hang on to your tail fins !

From Darren
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o89xhheWyW1uetdyxo1_500
entertainmentweekly No les poissons today… Just a small, light Filipino pre-show meal fit for a prince. Shoutout to tocino & garlic rice & eggs…

Cute!  From Darren.
dailydarrennews (with Video)
"entertainmentweekly An appropriate song to accompany my day.  @darrencriss #dinnerandashow #LittleMermaidLIVE"

From Darren.
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a0xd9aqG1uetdyxo1_500
entertainmentweekly Let’s just say the mermaids in my house are crushing getting ready - @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE

dailydarrennews-(Video from Darren)
entertainmentweekly @titusssawthis aka #Sebastian singing me to the #HollywoodFishBowl, his voice makes me go [kitty face?] @darrencriss #TitussBurgess #LittleMermaidLIVE

From Darren
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a3oemx3P1uetdyxo1_500
entertainmentweekly Where my [fish] at? - @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE

From Darren
dailydarrennews (Video from Darren)
"entertainmentweekly Gotta go! I mean gotta walk! I mean gotta run! I mean gotta stay all day in the sun! @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE"

From Darren
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8ahds7moq1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
entertainmentweekly:
#AlanMenken, personal hero and composer of the #LittleMermaid, along with SO many of our favorite Disney tunes! Dude’s got mad gills. @darrencriss #LittleMermaidLIVE THANK YOU @entertainmentweekly for having me!

Some nice pics.
littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a9ikHnIt1qbu84eo1_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a9ikHnIt1qbu84eo2_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a9ikHnIt1qbu84eo5_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8a9ikHnIt1qbu84eo6_1280
dailydarrennews
ehhmuhhhhh:
Darren Criss[heart icon]

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8adl83oVz1uetdyxo7_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8adl83oVz1uetdyxo8_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8adl83oVz1uetdyxo9_1280

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8adl83oVz1uetdyxo10_1280
dailydarrennewsx
Source

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8afq6xV0g1s3gkvjo1_500

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8afq6xV0g1s3gkvjo2_500
dailydarrennews
crossmyharts:
in complete awe of this one. he never fails to leave me speechless.

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8ae2yGaQJ1uetdyxo1_500
Source

littlemermaid - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 Tumblr_o8ae2yGaQJ1uetdyxo9_500
Source

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 pm; edited 11 times in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum