Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Empty June 4 -The Little Mermaid Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews (June 4 Performance):

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016

Review by a fan of the June 4 performance- The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid in Concert - June 4 - My Experience

dailydarrennews
juleswritesthis:

Just got home from watching the Little Mermaid . What an incredible show and wonderful experience. What struck me is the majority of the audience were adults (mostly 20′s and 30′s if I were to guess). And we were all watching the movie raptly as if the first time. And though I would guess that most have seen the movie folks were still delighted by the characters and charmed by the film. 

The actors were awesome. First Sara sounded amazing, truly was fantastic. Titus looked like he was having a ton of fun. My section was clapping and singing Under the Sea in unison. Also his Sebastian accent was spot on. The kid that played Flounder was adorable and very talented. Norm Lewis who played King Triton had the booming Broadway voice and though his solo was short he sounded incredibly powerful. Rebel Wilson was hilarious, she kept winking and hamming it up to the audience. At the end of her solo Sara took her hand and they left the stage hand in hand. It was adorable. John Stamos was fantastic. He took the conductors baton and started waving it around during his solo. The audience went wild. 

Then there was Darren. Oh wow that man has a strong presence and so much charm and charisma. At the beginning of the show he walked out in shorts, a shirt and King Triton’s Trident. My friend turned to me and said, “I thought he was playing Prince Eric.” I’m like yeah but it’s Darren. LOL. Anyway he introduced everyone and of course when it was his part he said the whole “me.” Her Voice is probably my least favorite song from the show but he did great and I loved that he played the guitar as well. Darren really shined during If Only. All 4 actors sang beautifully. I especially loved when Sara and Darren had their little duet during the song and the screen showed them next to each other though they were standing apart on stage. Really cool. Anyway Darren was fantastic and his voice soared beautifully at the end of the song. 

After the intermission there was a violin solo by Sandy Cameron. She was unbelievable. She played a medley of the LM soundtrack, accompanied by the orchestra, and she was walking and dancing as well. We were all awestruck by her talent and energy. 

Another favorite part was when Sara introduced Jodi Benson. The crowd went crazy, like totally nuts. Then she said she would like to sing. I had tears in my eyes. This woman’s voice is so much a part of my childhood that listening to her live felt like a dream. What an incredible moment. I don’t even know how to describe the feeling. I’m so glad she was included. 

Alan Menken started the show with a medley of his songs, from Aladdin, to Hercules, to Little Shop of Horrors, to Newsies and Galavant and many others. What a dream to listen to the man who has created so much of the music that I grew up and that I still cherish until today.

I’m so glad I got the chance to see the show and experience the magic. I’ll never forget it. 

Videos - June 4 Performance

Her Voice (full song), June 4- dailydarrenews
darrenburr:
Darren singing Her Voice at the June 4, 2016 show.

Two nice clips of Darren singing "Her Voice," June 4.
"Her Voice," June 4-dailydarrennews
wiseshots:
Small clip of @darrencriss singing #HerVoice at #TheLittleMermaid last night. #darrencriss

And her second video:
"Her Voice," June 4-dailydarrennews
wiseshots:
Another small clip of @darrencriss from last night #darrencriss #thelittlemermaid

June 4- Darren introducing Alan Menken. dailydarrennews
ehhmuhhhhh
snippet - introduction by darrencriss

Nice  set of clips from dailydarrennews:

Some of my favorite pics, Darren with King Triton's trident.  :amused  I think TiburonWriter took these?
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8apqufzZU1qigbbto4_1280

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8apqufzZU1qigbbto6_500
dailydarrennews
whatdiditellyouflawless

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8afx5cpp01uetdyxo3_1280

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8afx5cpp01uetdyxo4_1280
/x/x/

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8ai2rouqw1uetdyxo3_r1_1280
Source

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8ai2rouqw1uetdyxo7_r1_1280
dailydarrennews
x

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b29a8p7J1qbu84eo1_1280
ehhmuhhhhh
finale the little mermaid

These are really nice close ups.  The middle one is particular is adorable.  :love
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b63iVXJk1s3gkvjo2_1280

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b63iVXJk1s3gkvjo4_1280

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b63iVXJk1s3gkvjo5_1280
dailydarrennews
crossmyharts:
darren looking precious during bows last night.

I'm guessing Darren is smiling at Alan Menken as he enters the stage for curtain call?
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b5nqqJmj1qkhcfwo1_500

dailydarrennews
brentonchase:
Little Mermaid June 4, 2016 at the Hollywood bowl

Nice group pics:
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b96ugO321uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
rebelwilson: Sooooo much fun working with this incredible cast! And singing such incredible material! Thanks Norm, Josh, Darren, Sara, Sandy, Titus and John and Thanks Alan Menken for being such a lovely genius x ps final show MONDAY at the Hollywood Bowl!!

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8bdtpvg2B1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
June 4, 2016 | Broadwayworld.com

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8beenQIw41ri1mzuo1_500
hedwig-darren:
June 4, 2016 | Source

So Darren knew Brianna Lee in high school?  :happy face
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8bbbhUO7W1uetdyxo1_500

brianaleevocals: I love my sisters! And @darrencriss sang me a song he wrote in high school with my name in it. I won’t repeat the words. #littlemermaid #ariel #jodibenson #princeeric #darrencriss

Aw, nice to see Adam Shankman there.  :happy face
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8bbs50kyI1uetdyxo1_400
adamshankman: Smashing with @darrencriss (aka prince Erik) while the devi…I mean @johnstamos err…chef Louis, looks on. #devilsonmyshoulder #littlemermaidatthehollywoodbowl

Darren is such a ham.  Nice message from Delaney (Jodi Benson's daughter).
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8b49pQJbl1uetdyxo1_500
delaneyybenson I think I was dehydrated due to the many tears I lost
- Thank you for truly being the sweetest guy I have ever met

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:46 pm; edited 4 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews

Nice mentions of Darren by BroadwayWorld.com.  Not sure if the reviewer saw the June 3 or June 4 show, but I'm assuming it probably was the June 4 show.

Along with a 12-member chorus, the assembled orchestra was soon joined one-by-one by the headliners to sing songs live, with Glee’s Disney-loving breakout heartthrob (and Broadway standout) Darren Criss announcing intros from off-stage (he himself announced his own entrance in the second half to sing his own dreamy solo, dressed head-to-toe in perfect Prince Eric cosplay).

[…] By the time Criss stepped in equipped with guitar and teen dream smolder to sing “Her Voice” (another song featured in the Broadway production), the audience was swooning. The guy definitely has stage presence.

Arguably the evening’s best number, though, was the quartet on the written-for-Broadway “If Only” that featured Criss, Bareilles, Burgess, and Lewis in a virtual four-way sing-off that was as beautiful as it was moving. My gosh, these folks are talented.

- Broadwayworld.com

I like the words they use to describe Darren:

--"Glee's Disney-loving breakout heartthrob (and Broadway standout)"

--"to sing his own dreamy solo,"

--[...] by the time Criss stepped in equipped with guitar and teen dream smoulder to sing "Her Voice" . . . the audience was swooning.

--"The guy definitely has stage presence."

--"Arguably the evening's best number, though, was the quartet on the written-for-Broadway "If Only" that featured Criss, Bareilles, Burgess, and Lewis in a virtual four-way sing-off that was as beautiful, as it was moving.  My gosh, these folks are talented."

23purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Empty The Little Mermaid Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8d5vxIoxl1uetdyxo1_500
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8d5vxIoxl1uetdyxo2_500
Darren Criss goes under the sea while taking over our Instagram account
For women of a certain age group, Prince Eric, the big-eyed, broad-chested love interest for Ariel in The Little Mermaid, was their first real crush. (Animation be damned.) So why shouldn’t crush-worthy Darren Criss, the charismatic former Glee star, have his shot at playing the classic Disney boyfriend.
 Before spending three nights playing Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid Live at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, Criss took over EW’s Instagram (and our hearts).Thanks to Darren, though, we were able to join along for the wet and wild ride. | EW.com

Darren showing his love for Jodi Benson, the original Ariel.  :love
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8dbovRn4Q1uetdyxo1_500
darrencriss: Come bask in the glory of Disney icon @jodi.benson , aka the ORIGINAL ARIEL herself tonight at #littlemermaid @hollywoodbowl ! Can’t believe I can’t to sing with this amazing mermaid

A little typo there.

And this sounds nice.  A sing-a-long. 
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8dbzeySNm1uetdyxo1_500

Aw, a nice message from Jodi.
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8denxiQWQ1uetdyxo1_500

A few more pics from the June 4 performance.
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8da49WUsZ1uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
June 4, 2016 | Source

This was from the June 3 performance.
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8cxjlLRFp1td6z1uo1_500

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8cxjlLRFp1td6z1uo2_500
dailydarrennews
Source

Some love and pride from St. Ignatius:
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8d6ecqvQO1uetdyxo1_500
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8d6ecqvQO1uetdyxo2_500
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8d6ecqvQO1uetdyxo3_r1_500

Her Voice video | If Only video | If Only 2nd video

Paula and Darren at The Little Mermaid after party (go to my photos/gifs thread to see the gif of Darren dancing behind Paula. :amuseddarrencrissfanforum)
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8cz0cvfdD1uetdyxo1_400
@PaulaAbdul: .@DarrenCriss, the charming Prince Eric who I caught DANCING behind me at the #LittleMermaidLIVE after party! LOL!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

My Review of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 4, 2016 (Part 3 of 3)

A few short things I forgot to mention in my review of The Little Mermaid, the June 4 performance.

Both Jules (fan review) in her review (juleswritesthis), and the reviewer of the Broadwayworld.com article commented on Darren's presence.   Darren did introductions for this production of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, and although the introductions were short, he came across as comfortable, confident, and full of positive energy and good humor.  I was wondering why he was chosen to do introductions.  If I had to guess, it would be because perhaps Alan has noticed that Darren does have loads of charisma when he hosts events.  Remember, Darren hosted the same Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards that Alan Menken was present at (2012). 

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_m57qz8XSuY1r4gxc3o1_r1_500
adorkabledarrencriss

Maybe Alan has even seen Darren host other events?  One thing that my husband noted at The Little Mermaid performance that we attended on Saturday, is that Darren just comes across as a really down-to-earth, nice guy, with a good sense of humor and a great deal of enthusiasm.   He is just so likeable.  In terms of charisma, I have noted that when Darren is just himself, he has such a large personality that it's hard not to notice him.   He sets himself apart.  For example, at curtain call, he was dancing up a storm.  He looked like he absolutely was bursting with joy.  It's hard for one's eyes not to be drawn to such a large personality which exudes so much positive energy.  Look at him here at curtain call.  dailydarrennews. Video by rachielgf.

gif of Darren June 3
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88wjvQtKP1rk63wco2_r1_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88wjvQtKP1rk63wco3_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88wjvQtKP1rk63wco1_250

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88wjvQtKP1rk63wco5_r1_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88wjvQtKP1rk63wco4_r2_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88wjvQtKP1rk63wco6_r2_250
larra-belle
The Little Mermaid Live - June 3, 2016
via wherenothingisforkeeps

I also would like to think that Alan and Darren have built some kind of relationship over the years, and maybe this played a part in Darren being asked to do the introductions for The Little Mermaid performances at the Hollywood Bowl.  (Alan met college-age Darren singing Alan's music in a cafe near the U of Michigan, and Darren also sang a musical tribute to Alan Menken at the Billboard Film & TV Music Conference in 2011.

In any event, whatever the reason why they asked Darren to do the introductions for The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, it was an honor that Darren was asked, especially when it was Darren who introduced Alan Menken to the stage at the beginning of the evening. 

One small thing I wanted to note, is that Lin mentioned that Darren looked and sounded great in the pics and videos.   This is the third time I've seen Darren in person (first time was in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway, and second time was at the concert with Seth Rudetsky in San Francisco, the Broadway at the Nourse concert).   Darren really does look striking in person.   And for some reason, this third time that I saw him, at The Little Mermaid performance, he looked even more striking.   If he ever chose to do rom-coms, between his striking good looks and his enormous charisma, he would have the audience eating out of the palm of his hands. 

Finally, one thing I forgot to mention, has to do with Jodi Benson, the original Ariel.   I loved Sara Bareilles's performance.  She was a breathtaking Ariel.   But for those who grew up with this animated film and with the voice of Jodi's Ariel lodged in their fond memories, when you hear this familiar voice of Ariel singing "Part of Your World," you just are filled with memories, and a warm and fuzzy feeling takes over you.  It's quite powerful.  Before I knew it, my eyes were full of tears.  It was like seeing a beloved old friend.   It was a magical ending to a magical evening. 

This video was from the June 4 performance.   For many of us, Jodi is Ariel.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 pm; edited 5 times in total

25purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Empty The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From @DarrenArmy.  some media coverage:

Here is a really nice article that talks about all the wonderful moments of the evening. 

Our Favorite Moments from The Little Mermaid Live in Concert

"8. Darren Criss, who plays Prince Eric, sang 'Her Voice' from the Broadway musical and was, frankly, super dreamy."

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 PickupEric

"Heart eyes were flying around the arena when this happened. Darren entered the stage and announced that he 'can’t play the flute, but he can play the guitar.'  He played the guitar and sang like an angel. More heart eyes. His outfit was also perfectly Prince Eric inspired. We can’t get over how great the casting and costuming was for this event."

"13. The duet of 'If Only' from the Broadway musical with Ariel and Prince Eric was breathtaking."

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Signs-Youre-Turning-into-a-Disney-Character-Ariel-Prince-Eric

"Sara Bareilles and Darren Criss have beautiful, crystal clear voices that rang out during this gorgeous love song. It was amazing to be able to hear Ariel’s thoughts through song, and the struggle between the two characters as Ariel grasps to communicate without her voice and Eric searches for the girl he once heard sing to him."
ohmydisney

broadway.com
has a photo gallery.  Here's a nice pic of Darren ("Her Voice").
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 5.219676
"
Of course Darren Criss had his guitar on hand!"
(Photo: Randall Michelson Photography)

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, June 6, 2016

Videos (June 6 performance)

"If Only" with Jodi Benson, Darren Criss, Norm Lewis Lewis, Tituss Burgess (June 6, 2016)

"Her Voice," June 6, 2016

From @DarrenArmy, this PopSugar article has a video of every song performed in The Little Mermaid Concert at the Hollywood Bowl: 
Every Single Magical Performance From the Little Mermaid's Live Concert (PopSugar.com)

Videos From dailydarrennews (June 6 performance):

Nice video clip (1 minute long) of "Her Voice"
dailydarrennews (Video. Her Voice. 6/6/16)
"
brentisbored: @darrencriss’ final performance as Prince Eric 6/6/2016 #littlemermaidlive"

A very cool compilation of snapchats, includes Darren singing "Her Voice," "If Only," and backstage video of Darren and John Stamos listening to Susan Egan and Brad Kane singing (A Whole New World), and a funny backstage moment between Rebel and and Darren. 
dailydarrennews (Video Compilation)
Snapchat compilation of Darren at the Little Mermaid Live - June 6, 2016 [From Perez Hilton, John Stamos, Rebel Wilson, Disney Examiner, Disney Music, Ashley Sutherland-Winch]

Cute video of Darren dancing with Jodi Benson at curtain call, singing Under the Sea. 
dailydarrennews (Video, Jodi Benson and Darren dancing.  by ahhelga)

ahhelga: "Last night, at The Little Mermaid show, which was A-MAZ-ING (esp. from where I was sitting), Darren started doing a little jig at the end with Jodi Benson. It was too, too cute."

Another video of Darren dancing at curtain call to Under the Sea
dailydarrennews (Video-Darren dancing at curtain call.
lucy8675309:  "Hollywood Bowl final bows"

Video of Darren with fans at The Little Mermaid after party.  It gives you a look at how beautiful the setting was.  
dailydarrennews (Video- Darren at the after party)
"allenwaiserman:  WHEN DARREN CRISS ASKS TO TAKE A SELFIE WITH YOUR FRIEND @iolaninani. @mayrel_lani & I DIED"

Videos From @DarrenArmy:

Ok, another adorable video of Darren dancing briefly with Jodi at curtain call, singing "Under the Sea."
Source (Video)

Someone tweeted that Max Adler was at The Little Mermaid tonight (June 6).  Max has been such a wonderfully supportive friend.
Source (with Photo):  "I did meet Max Adler #littlemermaidlive #gleefans supporting @DarrenCriss tonight"

Tweet from Georgia King, who was on Ryan Murphy's The New Normal TV show.    She's been very supportive of Darren.  She went to see him in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway DCN: (photo)

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8euld8FlQ1uetdyxo1_500

Photos (June 6, The Little Mermaid)

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8dq73Q5sr1uetdyxo1_500
Susan Egan "Who is this crazy-handsome prince? #AKeeper @DarrenCriss #LittleMermaidLIVE
dailydarrennews"

Note:  Susan Egan played Belle in the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast (for which she was nominated for a Tony Award and Drama Desk Award).   She also was the voice of Megara in the animated film, Hercules.    

For the June 6 performance, Susan Egan will open the night, along with Brad Kane (who was the singing voice of Aladdin in the film).   ohmydisney

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e2szHh5t1qeegj9o1_500
dailydarrennews
fallenjunkie:
Darren and John Stamos backstage at The Little Mermaid via Ashley Sutherland-Winch’s Snapchat

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e3gyIRRi1qkhcfwo3_500

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e3gyIRRi1qkhcfwo4_500
dailydarrennews
brentonchase:
Darren Criss June 6, 2016 Little Mermaid final performance

Cute pic of Darren dancing with Jodi Benson
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8ba9hg81uetdyxo5_r1_1280
dailydarrennews
x

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8ba9hg81uetdyxo2_1280
dailydarrennews
x

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8ecnfZ4nD1uetdyxo2_1280
The Little Mermaid Live - June 6, 2016, 2016
Source

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8f1y24fg71uetdyxo1_500
dailydarrennews
"@ericspiderbrady: @DarrenCriss and @thejodibenson knocked it out of the park last night!!! #LittleMermaidLIVE"

Note: This pic (above) is from Christopher D. Barnes, who played the voice of Prince Eric in the animated film, The Little Mermaid.   How very cool! 

Photos with Fans (June 6, 2016)

I don't post all of the photos of Darren with fans.  I usually pick photos that I find interesting or striking, or with nice or interesting message.

This is an exceptionally cute photo of Darren with a fan.  He looks so euphoric (of course he is, he's about to sing with the original Ariel, Jodi Benson!). 
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8dribFfI51uetdyxo1_500

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8dribFfI51uetdyxo2_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8dribFfI51uetdyxo3_250
dailydarrennews
"Kelsey Rose‏
@DarrenCriss love u boo  favorite human being"

Another photo with Christopher D. Barnes, who played the voice of Prince Eric in the animated film, The Little Mermaid.
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e94369wE1uetdyxo2_r1_500
dailydarrennews
lsm4556  "Found myself in the middle of a "Prince Eric" sandwich between Christopher Daniel Barnes and Darren Criss at the VIP party at the #hollywoodbowl  I am one lucky lady! #littlemermaidlive #littlemermaidhollywoodbowl #littlemermaid #princeeric #darrencriss #pinchme"

Very sweet message from a fan.
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8f2anua6B1uetdyxo1_1280
dugganlbc"@darrencriss #darrencriss #actor #singersongwriter #glee #thehollywoodbowl #littlemermaid #littlemermaidlive #littlemermaidhollywoodbowl #priceeric Darren Along with the star-studded cast did an amazing job at the Hollywood bowl it was a great night under the stars i'm in following Darren's career for many years it was great to see him in such a fun production ! #sotalented #verycool! "

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8hpuuM11uetdyxo1_250
yourenotlaura "Real life Disney Prince #darrencriss"

Cute photo of Darren. 
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8hpuuM11uetdyxo2_250
Source

Her second photo was funny.  :amused
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8hpuuM11uetdyxo4_250

X  "It happened again!  Thanks, @DarrenCriss for being so amazing.  Perfect end to my trip to L.A."

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8hpuuM11uetdyxo3_250
X  "This picture is actually my favorite.  We were trying to figure out if my friend took the picture.  @DarrenCriss"

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8e8hpuuM11uetdyxo8_r1_250
dailydarrennews
tessantoniuk "This. Is Darren Criss. I am so incredibly happy I finally got to meet him. He is so talented, funny and just a generally amazing human. Thank you for tonight. #purebliss #tesrahtakesla"

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8f9eu8B5e1uetdyxo1_500
rcwood123: "This incredibly talented guy made this weekend a blast @darrencriss and his whole team is amazing"

I posted this pic, to show how good-natured Darren is, humoring his fans. 
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8f379gkJr1uetdyxo1_500
@tess_antoniuk: "Dog selfies with @DarrenCriss last night cuz he makes an adorable puppy "

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 17 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Very nice article about Darren taking part in The Little Mermaid in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl.  This was written by Darren himself.  I found it very nostalgic and very  heartfelt. 

I'm going to quote the whole article.  Here's the photo attached to the article.

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Darren-Criss-little-mermaid-hollywood-bowl-june-2016-billboard-1548
Darren Criss in "The Little Mermaid" live at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 2016. 
Randall Michelson (Photo)

Darren Criss on His 'Dreams-Come-True Experience' Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert'

6/7/16- by Darren Criss, as told to Keith Caulfield

Darren Criss co-starred in, and narrated, Disney’s The Little Mermaid in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4 and 6. He played Prince Eric, the beau of The Little Mermaid herself, Ariel. Criss is an Emmy Award-nominated singer/songwriter who starred on Fox TV’s Glee, on Broadway in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and was the lyricist for the No. 1 Cast Album Starship. Criss wrote to Billboard about performing at the Bowl with The Little Mermaid, and why it was a “full-circle” experience for him.

Sharing a stage like the Hollywood Bowl with so many of the people that were responsible for inspiring me to be in this business in the first place, and as a result, putting me there on that stage at all -- was such an overwhelming full-circle. The original composer, producers, animators, directors, even musicians that recorded the original score, and, of course the voices of Jodi Benson (Ariel) and Chris Daniel Barnes (Prince Eric)… All of them celebrating a little movie musical they made that ended up being so much more than that -- not only for guys like me and millions of others around the world, but for the very genre itself. All these folks, commemorating the film with… me! And hanging out, taking pictures backstage! I just couldn’t believe it. The list of pinch-me moments were too many to count.

But I’ll give ya two:

There’s a great story I like to tell about how Alan Menken [the 11-time Grammy Award winner who wrote the music for Aladdin] once walked into a cafe I was playing during my senior year of college. Of course, I spotted him right as I was playing one of his songs. I was somewhere between completely ecstatic and totally mortified. Well, the man ended up putting a one hundred dollar bill in my tip jar, along with giving me the best story ever. So cut to seven years later, I’m singing one of his songs at the Hollywood freakin’ Bowl in front of 17,500 people, and as I walk off stage, there’s Alan, waving a one hundred dollar bill. You gotta be kidding me! I’ll never forget that. Especially the part where I went to take it and he pulled it away, the stinker! Now I have another great Alan Menken story. What can I say, he’s a hit maker.  (emphasis added)

And lastly, “Part Of Your World” was the first song I ever posted a cover of on YouTube in 2007. That video unexpectedly set me on a wild course that I never could have dreamed would eventually bring me to the side of the stage at the Hollywood Bowl, listening to the original voice of Ariel herself, Disney legend Jodi Benson, performing that same song live before my very damp eyes. Not to mention the fact that while all this is happening, I’m standing next to one of my all-time personal heroes, the man who composed the song, Mr. One-Hundred-Dollar-Bill himself Alan Menken. It was all incredibly emotional. As I listened to Howard Ashman’s beautiful lyrics, it really hit me in that moment that I, too, had always wanted to be “where the people are…” And wow, there they were, Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, “smiling at me.” A real-life, Disney dreams-come-true experience.

- Darren Criss On His ‘Dreams-Come-True Experience’ Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert’  | billboard

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Just a reminder:   purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 1217353140

The date by which Darren's t-shirt--"I'm in Love with a Teenage Mermaid"--is available is June 14 (about 6 days left).  Represent.com

THANK YOU for updating this thread with such dedication and sharing all of the wealth of media on The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl, Poppy! bow to you  

Best of all though, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts about the concert you saw!  I'm so happy that you were able to experience it live and that you and your husband enjoyed the concert!  You had sooo many great thoughts and I have so much I would like to say, but I can't get the "multiple quotes" icon to work for me, and so forgive my haphazard quoting "technique". lol

There is one small (constructive) criticism I would say about the performance.   I would say that I would have liked to have him lose the guitar while he sang this song.   And the reason why I say this, is that for Darren, he conveys so much in his body language.    Because Darren was playing the guitar, I felt that he wasn't able to use his upper body as much, because Darren conveys a lot of emotion from his character by the way he holds himself (his posture), and in the movement of his arms and hands.

So that's just one thing.  As for his vocal performance, I loved it!   Many times when I see Darren perform (via someone videotaping a performance), I can hear how much he has grown vocally.   In this performance, I could hear and admire how much Darren's vocal control has improved, because it really has.  I really thought Darren did a wonderful job (as my husband can attest to, due to the huge smile on my face during the entire song performance.  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 3295213406 )   It was truly a joy for me to see and hear him perform this lovely song live.   I could hear the emotion in his voice, and to me, emotion is almost always the most important part of a song performance (for both a concert, and for a musical performance during a theater production).   hitfix reviewed the June 3 performance, and I agree with that reviewer that Darren delivered a passionate performance.  I also agree with another reviewer of the June 3 perfomance from Variety.com that Darren's performance of "Her Voice" added depth and understanding of the emotional state of Prince Eric, in terms of how deeply he was affected by Ariel's voice during his moment of need.   His tone was beautiful.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that wished he had performed "Her Voice" sans his guitar. *gasps at the blasphemy of what I just said* lol.  Darren's voice sounded rich and lovely, and I liked the pop-like arrangement. He is just so expressive when he sings in character and I so wish we could have seen him add his wonderful physicality.

Case in point, all of those wonderful photos of Darren singing "If Only" in character you posted above. The entire package of his singing added to his facial expressions and movements truly encompasses the character's emotions and was quite a moving moment .

I was totally blown away by “if Only”--especially the night you were there, Poppy.  NGL, Sara, Darren Titus, and Norm’s gorgeous rendition had me in tears with the aching/longing of each character and they all just sounded so incredibly gorgeous together.  I can only imagine how incredible they sounded live.
The way they showed the performers side-by-side on the screen on Saturday was just wonderful and beautifully enhanced the impact of the song. Here’s the best video I’ve seen so far of this amazing performance, which I don’t think I”ve seen posted yet (my apologies if I'm mistaken).  It’s not my video and all credit and appreciation goes to the person that posted this video and captured this performance so wonderfully.

The power of music in the hands of gifted musicians and performers. Love it. 
Do you think he may have decided to play his guitar as kind of an unconscious sort of "security blanket"? He had mentioned how difficult the song is even with the new arrangement, perhaps he felt a bit more comfortable behind the guitar?  I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. Anyway, if that was the case, he needn't have been, because he was incredible throughout "If Only"--standing next to Broadway Vet Norm Lewis' booming baritone no less!  

Here's another video of most of the songs from Saturday Night. I'm disappointed that this person missed my fave parts though--Alan Menken's set, "If Only",and "Part of Your World Reprise" BUT I loved the grand live orchestral opening over the Disney logo and also the beginning shows the singers synced to the film footage, and also the fireworks over the end credits.

Poppy, I love that each time you hear Darren live you can see the growth and development in his voice.  He definitely has been training and taking care of his voice.  I can hear it in the recordings, so I can only imagine how it must shine live.  I also have to smile at how your husband enjoyed himself and I loved hearing his unbiased comments about the concert and especially Darren. 
This is getting a bit long, so I'll continue later, I just wanted to add a bit about this lovely article that you posted:

Very nice article about Darren taking part in The Little Mermaid in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

Darren Criss on His 'Dreams-Come-True Experience' Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert'

There’s a great story I like to tell about how Alan Menken [the 11-time Grammy Award winner who wrote the music for Aladdin] once walked into a cafe I was playing during my senior year of college. Of course, I spotted him right as I was playing one of his songs. I was somewhere between completely ecstatic and totally mortified. Well, the man ended up putting a one hundred dollar bill in my tip jar, along with giving me the best story ever. So cut to seven years later, I’m singing one of his songs at the Hollywood freakin’ Bowl in front of 17,500 people, and as I walk off stage, there’s Alan, waving a one hundred dollar bill. You gotta be kidding me! I’ll never forget that. Especially the part where I went to take it and he pulled it away, the stinker! Now I have another great Alan Menken story. What can I say, he’s a hit maker.

- Darren Criss On His ‘Dreams-Come-True Experience’ Performing in 'The Little Mermaid in Concert’  | billboard

Love, LOVE this article so much. I'm so thankful that Billboard gave Darren a chance to share part of his "Dreams Come True" experiences.
If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend that everyone read the entire article at the link Poppy posted above.  Darren shares another memory from the concert about having a moment while listening to Jodi Benson sing "Part of Your World" from the wings (surrounded by special people). The two moments he described really touched me and made me so very happy for him. Full-circle moments indeed. That is your life, Darren Criss!  :amused

ETA:  That's what I get for walking away from my incomplete post to go to dinner. too scary  
The ever-efficient Poppy has already posted the entire article for our viewing pleasure!
Thanks, Poppy!  :hug

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lilikoiluv! :hello

Lilikoiluv wrote:Best of all though, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts about the concert you saw! 
Aw, you're welcome. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:I'm so happy that you were able to experience it live and that you and your husband enjoyed the concert!

Thanks Lilikoiluv!   And thank you so much for your comments and your videos!   I enjoy sharing my experiences of seeing Darren at his events.  I wish that all his fans were able to see him.  I'm so glad that people were able to share their pics and their videos with others. 

Yes, I agree that Darren's voice sounded rich and lovely, and I liked the pop-like arrangement.   The arrangement worked well with his singing voice.  :happy face

ha!  Your comments made me smile.  I do feel like I committed blasphemy.  :amused :apology   Darren's physicality is amazing.    In Hedwig and the Angry Inch for example, the way he used his body language was so effective in supporting his facial expressions and his singing voice.     It's interesting that I wasn't even thinking about his physicality at all when he started singing "Her Voice."   I was very much enjoying the song performance, with a big old smile on my face.  Then near the tail end of "Her Voice," Darren stopped playing his guitar.   You can see in the video below, around point 3:07, he stops playing his guitar.  And then it struck me.  All of a sudden.   I was drawn into the song performance in a significant way. 

I agree with what you said about how Darren used his physicality in "If Only," and combined with his facial expressions and the emotion in his voice, I really felt  Prince Eric's emotions of feeling so torn and conflicted.   It was, as you said, moving and beautiful (as were the performances of Sara, Tituss, and Norm).

As for why Darren decided to use his guitar, just guessing of course, that although he must have been overjoyed to have been asked to play Prince Eric and sing these two beautiful songs connected to a story he has loved for so long, it must have been a little (very?) intimidating to work with one of long-time idols and to perform not just with Sara Bareilles, an amazing vocalist, but also with two very strong, well-trained, experienced Broadway performers in  Tituss and Norm (and Norm's voice is the epitome of a powerful, booming, majestic Broadway voice), and in a large venue, the Hollywood Bowl, with a capacity of 17,000.  I think Darren does feel very comfortable with performing with musical instruments, whether it's a piano or a guitar.   Another guess is that having Prince Eric playing a guitar adds to the romantic notion of Prince Eric, you know, as the dreamboat who can serenade with music and with his voice.  It seemed some of those folks from the media sites that wrote about Darren's performance seemed quite taken with Darren's playing the guitar as he sang this romantic song. 

I do realize that this is a matter of perspective.  I mentioned this issue to my husband (here I go again, talking about his views of Darren's performance.  shhh.  I'll sneak in a few of his words).   My husband felt that Darren did equally well in both songs in terms of conveying the emotions of the character.    You and I agree on this, but I think there's room for different views on this issue.   :happy face

It's getting late, so I will continue tomorrow.  :hello

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lilikoiluv,

Back to finish off my thoughts.  :happy face

Lilikoiluv wrote:I was totally blown away by “if Only”--especially the night you were there, Poppy.  NGL, Sara, Darren Titus, and Norm’s gorgeous rendition had me in tears with the aching/longing of each character and they all just sounded so incredibly gorgeous together.  I can only imagine how incredible they sounded live.

I agree!  I loved that performance so much.   It was gorgeous.  Like you said, you could feel the emotions of all the characters through the actors/singers.  For Ariel, I felt the longing and wistfulness to be able to share with Prince Eric how she feels about  him.  For Prince Eric, I felt how conflicted he was over growing to  love this Ariel who was without a voice, versus searching for the woman with the beautiful voice who he connects with being fortunate to be alive.  For Sebastian, who has become so close to Ariel, he feels protective of her, wishing he could make her dream to be with Prince Eric come true.  And for King Triton, he feels deeply sad for the loss of his daughter and he feels regret for not recognizing her feelings. 

And what a brilliant song that Alan Menken and Glenn Slater created, with these four wonderful performers singing together giving it life.  

Lilikoiluv wrote:The way they showed the performers side-by-side on the screen on Saturday was just wonderful and beautifully enhanced the impact of the song. Here’s the best video I’ve seen so far of this amazing performance, which I don’t think I”ve seen posted yet (my apologies if I'm mistaken).  It’s not my video and all credit and appreciation goes to the person that posted this video and captured this performance so wonderfully.

That was a very well recorded video, Lilikoiluv!   applause Thank you for sharing!  I will add it to my post of the  videos of the June 4-performances.   I'm so glad you mentioned how they placed images of Darren and Sara side-by-side on the big screen, even though they were standing apart.   It really added to the emotion, when you saw them together on the big screen. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:Here's another video of most of the songs from Saturday Night. I'm disappointed that this person missed my fave parts though--Alan Menken's set, "If Only",and "Part of Your World Reprise" BUT I loved the grand live orchestral opening over the Disney logo and also the beginning shows the singers synced to the film footage, and also the fireworks over the end credits.

And thank you again for that lovely video, with almost all of the performances and moments of the evening!   So nice to have it in one video!   thumbs up   I'll add it too to my post of the June 4 performances.    And thank you for mentioning how  the orchestra played the Disney theme song simultaneously with the image of Disney castle appearing on screen.    First of all, it was wonderful seeing Darren coming on stage, clearly so happy to be there.   And then the evening kept on delivering great moments.  Real fireworks were going off at the same time we saw the fireworks behind the castle on the screen.   This moment starts around 1:08 in the video that Lilikoiluv found (see above).  It was one of THE best moments of the night!!! My husband and I were beaming with joy!   He commented that he never heard a live orchestra play the Disney theme song, and it was that much more poignant to see the Disney castle appear on the big screen while the orchestra played the Disney theme song.    When I looked over to my husband, he looked like a little kid, with this big grin on his face.   One of the many magical moments of the evening! 

Lilikoiluv wrote:Poppy, I love that each time you hear Darren live you can see the growth and development in his voice.  He definitely has been training and taking care of his voice.  I can hear it in the recordings, so I can only imagine how it must shine live.  I also have to smile at how your husband enjoyed himself and I loved hearing his unbiased comments about the concert and especially Darren.

I am so proud of Darren for working on his voice.   I hope he continues to do this, because I'm sure many serious vocalists make sure to continue their training.    Aw, thanks for the nice comment about my husband's remarks (um, that I deleted).   He gets a little shy about sharing his thoughts with the fandom.    This is the second time he has seen Darren perform (the first was at the concert with Seth Rudetsky in October 2015, where we met Megan/Minttea in SF).   My husband came away having a better sense of how down-to-earth, enthusiastic and positive Darren is, just a better sense of who Darren the person is, because of this evening.    He said that Darren seems like a really nice guy and he thought Darren did very well in his performances.  :happy face

Lilikoiluv wrote:Love, LOVE this article so much. I'm so thankful that Billboard gave Darren a chance to share part of his "Dreams Come True" experiences.
If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend that everyone read the entire article at the link Poppy posted above.  Darren shares another memory from the concert about having a moment while listening to Jodi Benson sing "Part of Your World" from the wings (surrounded by special people). The two moments he described really touched me and made me so very happy for him. Full-circle moments indeed. That is your life, Darren Criss!  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 3295213406

That article must mean so much to Darren.  Billboard, what a wonderful idea, to have Darren relay his feelings and thoughts of how much it meant to him to be able to be able to be a part of The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl!   How surreal it must have felt to Darren, to listen to the original Ariel sing "Part of Your World" while he stood in the wings, with Alan Menken himself, one of Darren's idols, standing nearby.  How incredible to have these "full circle" moments!    He's had these The Little Mermaid full circle moments.  And he had the Hedwig and the Angry Inch full circle moments too, because he loved the story/film and its music since he was in high school.  And Lilikoiluv, you will see him live out the Hedwig full-circle moment soon!  :love

Thanks so much for your comments, Lilikoiluv.  I'm so glad that I have Lin, Jeremy, and you, Lilikoiluv, supporting this little forum for the lovely, kind, and talented Darren Criss.  Thank you all!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

A couple of pics of Darren with fans at The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8g0jwLIIF1uetdyxo1_500
@NickPitera:  @DarrenCriss you are amazing, and the nicest of people!! Congrats on an amazing show #LittleMermaidLIVE #Eric

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8gsizfv9A1uetdyxo1_500
@DeveryHolmes: Incredible night at the @HollywoodBowl getting to see the amazing @DarrenCriss perform #LIttleMermaid

Another photo with Christopher D. Barnes, who played the voice of Prince Eric in the animated film, The Little Mermaid.

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8hm4cr2cY1uetdyxo1_500
@ericspiderbrady: The delightful and talented @DarrenCriss Such a great job the other night!!! The legacy is in good hands!

Cute fan video:
dailydarrennews

sarah chabluk happy national bestfriend day @darrencriss!!!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8j584Do8T1uetdyxo1_500
tracihines "I’ve always said my #1 celeb casting for Prince Eric IRL was @darrencriss  My pop-music loving heart was very happy w/his contemporary take on the Eric TLM Broadway songs. He was also lovely to meet IRL- thanks for taking the time to let me fangirl a bit Darren!  You killed it at #LittleMermaidLIVE! #mermaid #littlemermaid #darrencriss #princeeric #music #littlemermaidmusic #tlm #disney #latergram"

Note:  Traci Hines is a Fantasy-Pop Singer/Songwriter.   She has a video singing Part of Your World.  :happy face

Swoon, how gorgeous is he?? Love his look lately. And seriously, he is like the spitting image of Prince Eric! It's so funny how fandom have always wanted him as Prince Eric and now it has actually come to be! hahahaha! Loved your review Poppy, especially how he got his emotions across in the song, I really think that is one of his greatest strengths. So glad you got tix and enjoyed the evening. Listened to some of the vids and he does sound great. As for losing the guitar....nah, it's Darren! he probably came out of the womb strapped to a guitar! tongue

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:
Swoon, how gorgeous is he?? Love his look lately. And seriously, he is like the spitting image of Prince Eric! It's so funny how fandom have always wanted him as Prince Eric and now it has actually come to be!

I do like how his hair is longer in the front and falls on his forehead.  Very hipster.   The Prince Eric outfit really agreed with Darren, a very striking look. 

Some of the fandom has been wanting him to play a Disney prince for so long.    Dreams do come true, . . . .when you wish upon a star.     star star star    (I'm sure I got the words completely in the wrong order.   :amused)

These gifs are appropriate:  Darren in his bedroom singing "Part of Your World" in 2007.   And then, fast forward to 2016. :happy face
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o827jfgKv31ri1mzuo2_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o827jfgKv31ri1mzuo1_250
2007 ⟶ 2016
hedwig-darren:

To make it even more poignant, fast forward to June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 at the Hollywood Bowl, The Little Mermaid in Concert Live.

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88rlcwkia1t5btl3o1_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88rlcwkia1t5btl3o2_250

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88rlcwkia1t5btl3o3_250  purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o88rlcwkia1t5btl3o4_250
dreamingdc:
Darren Criss as Prince Eric singing “Her Voice” in The Little Mermaid in Concert Live to Film at Hollywood Bowl 06.03.2016

A nice fan edit:
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8abp3UnyI1qkcxppo1_500
mselphaba-evangeline
"Excuse me …
*Screams *
I’m FINE"

dusty wrote:hahahaha! Loved your review Poppy, especially how he got his emotions across in the song, I really think that is one of his greatest strengths. So glad you got tix and enjoyed the evening. Listened to some of the vids and he does sound great.
Thank you, dusty.  I agree, Darren's ability to infuse his voice and his song performances with emotion is one of his greatest strengths.  I think that is something that seems hard to teach to vocalists.  Some singers just seem to be able to do it so well, and Darren is one of them.    Aw, thank you.  I am very fortunate that The Little Mermaid came to L.A..   And I agree, he sounded wonderful.  Beautiful tone, and great emotion.

dusty wrote:As for losing the guitar....nah, it's Darren! he probably came out of the womb strapped to a guitar! tongue

ha!   So funny.  Cute! :biggrin.png:  I see your point.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8keknn4SL1uetdyxo1_500
jodi.benson Sending a HUGE thank you and much gratitude to all of the amazing individuals that made #littlemermaidlivea success! Richard Kraft @kraft.richard & Laura Engel #lauraengel Executive Producers from Kraft -Engel Management & from CAMI Columbia Artists Management @columbia_artists Tim Fox, Alison Ahart Williams and Erica Noguchi & @Disney. It was such an honor to share the @hollywoodbowlstage with @sarabareilles @darrencriss @rebelwilson @titusssawthis @thenormlewis @alanmenken​ @johnstamos #joshcolley #MichaelKosarin Thank you so much for this “once in a lifetime” magical weekend of concerts! All my love & God bless, Jodi

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Love that Part of your world / Prince Eric gif set Poppy! funny how things happen isn't it?

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:Love that Part of your world / Prince Eric gif set Poppy! funny how things happen isn't it?

He's lived out some of dreams.  Working with Alan Menken, singing in a production of one of his favorite Disney animated films, singing with the original Ariel, Jodi Benson, performing the music of a film that he has connected with since he was a teen (Hedwig and the Angry Inch), singing a duet with Kermit . . . How wonderful is that?   (That last dream made me smile; it's so Darren.)   And even though being able to perform in musical theater and on Broadway were not his dreams, he's done that as well.    Am very happy for him.  ❤

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Aw, I love this sweet message from Jodi Benson, talking about Darren's strong character (as well as his talent):  "Darren is a true gentleman and professional and it was a blessing to work with him.    Young Hollywood gets a hard time sometimes but I can tell you that this young star will have in incredibly bright future ahead of him!"     Also love her kind comments about Darren's parents.  
purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8w0vd5IsI1uetdyxo1_500
jodi.benson #tbt It was such an honor and a privilege to meet the kind, gracious & loving parents of @darrencriss  ❤ Darren is a true gentleman and professional and it was a blessing to work with him. Young Hollywood gets a hard time sometimes but I can tell you that this young star will have in incredibly bright future ahead of him!  #littlemermaidlive #princeeric #family #dreambigprincess

Look at Darren in the background of the first pic.   Looks like he just had taken, or is about to take a pic of his mom talking to Jodi.  :happy face   Look how pleased he looks.

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy wrote:purebliss - The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl on June 3, 4, and 6, 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_o8w0vd5IsI1uetdyxo1_500

I think the background on the second picture is the ballroom from The Beauty and the Beast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum