Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General News You Want to Talk About

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 14]

1OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty General News You Want to Talk About Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:21 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post your comments about General News.  

To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I want to say how horrified and sad I am to hear the news about the attack at a gay nightclub in Orlando, FL that caused so many deaths and injuries.   This is the deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.    My condolences to the family and friends of those who passed.    This just deeply saddens and enrages me.    Why so much hate?  How many more times?   How many more victims?

I also am sad to hear about the murder of Christina Grimmie.   My condolences to her family, friends and fans.   I am especially sad for her brother, who had to witness her attack.

3OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:38 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

What happened is indeed horryfing. It's so sick... 

Do you have an opinion about Clinton's and Trump's reactions ?

4OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:02 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:Do you have an opinion about Clinton's and Trump's reactions ?

I do.   I have strong feelings about policies that encourage hostility against, and exclusion of, entire groups of people based on religion and national origin.

5OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:42 am

Poppy wrote:I heard the news, and it's astounding news.  I'm really very sorry, Lin, about how upset you feel.

When one is upset, it's understandable to think of other upsetting scenarios.   I can't imagine my country with Trump as our President.  

If no one minds, I think this may be a better place to discuss these issues:   General News You Want to Talk About
Emotions are going to run high on this issue, especially for those of you from Europe.    I truly sympathize.

I'm just a little shocked at the outcome, I really didn't expect this to happen. And this whole thing would have been upsetting enough even if it had narrowly gone the other way, because either way that's a LOT of people letting themselves be swayed by / not being able to see through xenophobia and fear mongering.
I was already very dismayed by the results of our last state election earlier this year, when the anti-EU (xenophobic/racist/"if refugees won't leave voluntarily we should shoot at them") party got 30% of the vote in the town I live in half the year ... which "doesn't matter" because they "only" got 12% in the state overall, so they can't do too actual much damage, but I just get sad thinking about how many people around me are assholes and/or really really stupid. You'd think German people should have learned this lesson already.
And I can tell myself "at least those people are (still) in the minority!", but then shit like this happens and makes me lose some more faith in humanity, so now I'm suddenly worried about Trump who I never considered a serious thread before and don't even want to imagine as a real possibility. It's just scary what's happening all over the world right now. Sorry if I'm being a bit over-dramatic.

6OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:51 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin, I understand your perspective.   And I can understand why this is upsetting.  I've been trying to read up on the background issues and I know the issue of immigration played a role in the vote to leave the EU, but it seems there were other issues at play too.  I know this is a complex issue. 

I'm not going to take a stance on this . . . I need to be more educated on the various issues.    We have 3 members from Europe on this forum, from various countries, so I understand if there will be varying views.    If others want to engage in a discussion, feel free, as long as we keep our views respectful of each other.  :happy face

7OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:52 pm

For the record, I'm not trying to over-simplify and say everyone who voted "leave" is a racist or that xenophobia is the only issue at play here. But I do think it's a big one, both for the driving forces behind it and a significant amount of the voters, and I'm just feeling especially frustrated by the larger pattern of that today.

8OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lin,

I understand that, Lin.   I know you were not saying that.   (I hope people realize that was not what I was thinking.)   

And I understand why you are concerned both about about that sector who advocated for and/or who voted largely based on their anti-immigrant beliefs, along with the larger pattern (within Europe and beyond Europe, such is the U.S.) of xenophobia/racism/anti-immigrant hostility.   These are definitely scary times.   My parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents were all interned in the Japanese internment camps, all due  to the anti-Japanese hysteria.   I see parallels between what happened with the Japanese-Americans to Trump's verbal attacks against the Muslim community/people whose national origin is from certain Middle Eastern countries.  It's just frightening.   Sorry, I'm tired.  I suspect I'm not explaining myself very well.  I just wanted to say I understand your concerns/fear. 

9OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:09 am

When it comes to Brexit, the dislike of the EU and how it is being run played just as much part in people voting to leave as immigration. I'd say it was pretty much an even split between the two. My husband and many of our friends voted out for this reason. There was a comment in the Times saying that "Everytime Juncker opened his mouth another Remainer switched allegiances." There's a lot of truth in that. Imo the EU is in a deep deep mess and it needs serious reforms. Had Cameron gotten through some of these I'm certain the majority would have voted in.

Anyways, there are certainly interesting times ahead. Fingers crossed all will turn out well.

10OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:00 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I wonder if David Cameron has resigned because he thinks that the Brexit will have bad consequences for the country and he doesn't want to be blamed for the problems that could happen in the next years. If the Brexit has indeed bad consequences, the next PM will probably have a hard time because she will be taken responsible for the mess.

11OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:33 am

It is difficult to know Jeremy. Even if that isn't the case it would be hard for him to remain pm when he lost such a huge decision, or indeed to be pm and having to negotiate Brexit which he himself doesn't belive in. I'm sad to see him go as I think he has been a very good pm and would have liked to see him stay on, but I can understand why he resigned for the reasons I have mentioned in the previous sentence. I don't think there is much else he could have done but resign. But yes, there is always some underlying sentiment that he's dodged a bullet by resigning. And who knows what he thinks behind closed doors.

We'll see how May fares. She's a tough cookie and is in some ways reminiscent of Thatcher. I think at the moment she's the best choice. We're going to need an Iron Lady I think.

More interestingly Boris has been named Foreign Minister! :laughing

12OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Hilary as the Democratic nominee Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday, at the Democratic National Convention, history was made in the United States when Hillary Clinton was named as the first woman ever nominated for President by a major political party in the U.S.  (I know we're behind both the U.K. and Germany in this regard, not sure about Belgium.)

13OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Just watched most of the Democratic National Convention tonight.  So inspiring.  President Obama's speech was brilliant and so full of hope.   Brought tears to my eyes.

14OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy wrote:Yesterday, at the Democratic National Convention, history was made in the United States when Hillary Clinton was named as the first woman ever nominated for President by a major political party in the U.S.  (I know we're behind both the U.K. and Germany in this regard, not sure about Belgium.)

Belgium has never had a female Head of State or Prime Minister but Belgian people are absolutely not against the idea of a female leader. Besides, the country has already had a gay PM with foreign roots and almost everybody in the royal family has foreign roots or comes from another country.

15OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:37 am

My state (Texas) has had two female governors, one in the 1930s as a surrogate for her jailed husband, then another in the 1990s that lost to GWB. Rolling Eyes

16OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:57 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome DaisiesAndLilies!

It's so nice to see a new member!   Welcome!   If you have any questions at all, please let me know by sending me a PM.  (You can see the PM icon under my Profile Name to the left of my post.)  

Ann Richards is famous for her sass.  She was the one who lost to George W. Bush?

P.S.  I love your avatar.  May I ask where did you get it?

17OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Watching the debate stressed me out.  I felt exhausted emotionally and physically watching it (suppressing your rage will do that).  oh

18OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:03 pm

I didn't watch the debate. There's no point since they won't give substantive answers about policy, only about the scandal of the day. Besides, I had to get upset about my team getting eliminated from baseball playoffs in a humiliating fashion instead. pale  :cry moody

19OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

DaisiesAndLlilies wrote:Besides, I had to get upset about my team getting eliminated from baseball playoffs in a humiliating fashion instead. OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Icon_pale  OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About 3129030996 OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About 3087821277
Oh, I'm sorry.   : it's gonna be ok

20OpenEnrollment - General News You Want to Talk About Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:10 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I cannot stop crying.

This is a nightmare.  I have never been so ashamed to be American,

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum