Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion of Darren's Album

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Discussion of Darren's Album Mon May 09, 2016 12:29 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

This thread is to discuss Darren's anticipated album.  :happy face

To post in this thread, please select, "Post Reply."

If you would like me to start a new thread, that is within the Category of "Darren's Music and Musical Performances," please let me know.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask either here or you can PM me.  Don't be shy! 

TIMELINE OF DISCUSSION OF DARREN'S ALBUM

**According to DCN, about 7 months ago (so January 2014?), Otha "Vakseen" Daviss III, tweeted that he met with Darren's manager and that the album is "definitely on the way."  He is the owner of Vakseen LLC, a consultant to record labels; the company specializes in A&R management, production, songwriting, artist development and brand marketing.

**In a January 15, 2014, interview with TheBacklot.com, Darren mentioned he could have "put an album out," but he "didn't want to half-ass" his album.  He stated:  "So I'd like to finish what I've been working on the past few years this year because I think it needs to be done."  He also refers to Lea's album and then states his album "will be a little different, it's a different process.  I'm the nerdy rock musician who wants to make my nerdy rock and roll so I don't know if it will be the same fanfare, but I'd like to finish it."

**DCN indicated that six months ago from today (so early February 2014), Daniel Kier (a House engineer at the Boom Boom Room, Label manager at Creatchy Records) tweeted that he had a great session with Darren.

**On February 5, 2014, in a Q & A, Darren was asked when will his album come out.  He answered:  "As soon as I can get it together.  Too many things going on.  Though I can tell you this for certain:  I plan on releasing something this year."   (YEA!!!!)

**On March 2, 2014, songwriter Cara Salimando tweeted in answer to a question if she met Darren:  "we are working together today! writing songs for him  "  About the same time, according to DCN, she tweeted she was "writing some very sexy jamz" with Darren and the Elev3n (a NYC music production team).

**On March 17, 2014, at 54 Below, after the performance of Starkids' "Twisted," Darren spoke to some fans.  One fan (germericangirl) posted her experience.  Her post may be found at DCN (see below link to general news about Darren's album on DCN).  She posted:  "He basically said that his album is going to be new songs that we don't know and that he might just release some of the songs that we already know separately  and that he's just going to disappear for a year next year to finish everything."

NOTE:  Please note that several statements were more recently made by Darren, where he indicated that he is planning to be done with his album by the end of this year ("Indie Magazine," April 8, 2014), that he hopes his album is out by the time Glee ends, so sometime in 2015 ("HiGoodbye 3 video, April 16, 2014),  and that he thinks his album will be out next year, so 2015 (G4, July 19, 2014).  

**So the interview he did with Indie Magazine was posted by DCN in April  8, 2014.  (The actual magazine issue seems to be dated April 29, 2014.)      DarrenCriss-News  Also;  darrencrissforindiefuckyeah   So in the interview, he said:  "Whether it's released or not, I want to be done with this album in some capacity by the end of the year."     In this same interview, he commented on his conversation with his brother over Christmas 2013, where his brother said to him:  "Just promise me your record won't smell like compromise."  Darren stated that he thought:  "Oh my god, I've been compromising everything!"    Also in this interview, he reflects that with his album, he wants to make a statement of who he is and who he wants to be, and suggests that he wouldn't want to work on an album where he wouldn't touch the writing or producing.  (Just for the record, I'm paraphrasing anything that does not appear in quotes.  I just realized, because my quote button doesn't work, it may be hard for me to do a timeline, but I'll include links and people can feel free to jump in and embed the actual quote or video with a reference to the source and the date.  Sorry about that!)

Here is the general link to DCN for Darren's album:  DarrenCriss-News

**"He called fans on the phone and recorded them.  Darren's facebook indicated Darren posted the videos on April 16, 2014.  In one of the conversations, he talked about his album.  So the video of the conversation is on DCN.   (See above link to DCN about news regarding Darren's album.)     It's the "HiGoodbye 3."   At 4:20, he starts talking about his album.  He talks about the difficulty of being on a TV show, and trying to make an album. He remarks how it's a different process (to make an album) if you're a songwriter, and you like to produce, and you like to play instruments, and you like to write everything.  He comments on how it'll be nice to have more time to give the album the attention that it deserves.  I'm paraphrasing, but you should listen to the video.  He mentions that he doesn't know if any of the songs that he played on the Listen Up tour last summer would necessarily be on the album.     Here's what I tried to capture in quote form (but you should listen to the video for yourself):  "I hope this album kind of casts the widest net possible.  Hopefully, it will be a pop accessible album, but also weird and quirky enough to where I don't feel that my integrity is compromised."
Another one of my attempts to quote him from the video:  "But I feel pretty good.  I feel like I have enough songs.  It's a matter of producing them correctly.   So hopefully that will be out by the time the show is done to where if I'm going to tour that album, you know, I can actually do that."  In the context of this comment, I believe "the show" is Glee.

**On June 3, 2014 interview, Adam Anders stated that Darren made an album, but it hasn't come out.

Adam Anders Interview | AfterBuzz TV's Chatting with Cathy | June 3rd, 2014.   https://youtu.be/wGDNEgNPQRU  (At point 35:00)

**Then we have the quotes from the G4 Convention in London in July 19, 2014.  blainedarling has the most detailed notes, which were also quoted and confirmed by Alex Barrett.    blainedarling's notes indicate that Darren said "he thinks it's safe to say there'll be a record out next year, but to take that with a grain of salt,  that's his goal anyway!"   According to her, he also said he is working on his album on a daily basis, recording and writing.  Alex Barrett tweeted that Darren said "I think it's safe to say my record will be out next year."

October 27, 2014.     Alex of DCN notes that the website of The Eleven, a music production team, now lists Darren's name.  Alex mentions that this looks promising.

January  2, 2015.     Posted on DCN:    "He hasn’t been dropped. He is working on the album at his own pace and on his own terms, which -in my opinion- is a good thing. I’d say wait till he’s done with all his Glee commitments, we’ll probably hear more about his plans then.      As for the other message asking why he’s not listed on the Columbia Records site… he has never been listed there, only Lea is listed because she already released solo material."    http://darrencrissne...nd-there-were-a

March 22, 2015.  
According to a tweet by https://twitter.com/gleeisallineed?lang=en
"Darren talked about his 'album' and for now he isn't planning to release it, but he will see."

According to a tweet by https://twitter.com/ruchanklaine
"Darren is putting his album on the back burner, not wanting to be pitted against Glee, and wanting to do music on his own terms."
http://darrencrissne...st/114325244141

March 23, 2015.   At the Gleek Reunion, Quote from Darren:    "I’ve been working on music for so long, and in the past I would tell people when things would happen not knowing that things would happen in my life such as doing this show and working on other personal projects. So, I kinda put it on the back burner for now just because Glee became so overwhelming and I really wanted to focus on my acting career, which is why I’m going back to Broadway.

The cool thing about music is that you can always work on it, it’s always there. You can always go home and play the piano whereas you have to be a little more timely for projects you’re selection as an actor. I also realized I wasn’t into being, you know, pitted against Glee. So whenever I put something out, it’ll be on my own terms, in my own time so it’s fun and I can be passionate about it as opposed to trying to make a deadline and sell records which is not a good way to make anything."
http://k1tten-boy.tumblr.com/post/114363249735/ive-been-working-on-music-for-so-long-and-in-the

March 27, 2015.    Quote from Darren at the Gleek Reunion
"Not for now. I mean, there was so much going on and I know a lot of people are curious about the music that I do. I mean I really like writing music for other people and letting them do their own thing and I’ve done so much over the past couple of years that I just need to be an actor again because, you know, Glee was the longest I’ve ever done a job, ever. It’s kind of crazy. Doing theater my whole life, you know you’re in a show for two months tops, and then you go on to the next thing. So, I’m used to going back and forth, so to do the same thing for five years, it’s a little, I don’t know how to translate this but, taxing? It takes a lot out of you, so I just really wanted to be an actor again and just put all my energy into that. So I imagine I’ll be doing a lot of that. And if the music thing happens, okay, that’s fine, but I just wanted to take a break from that because acting is so important to me that I needed to really pay attention to that. Yeah, so we’ll see, I don’t know, but Hedwig first. First things first!"
— Darren on if he has other projects after Hedwig (during his meeting room at the gleek reunion)
http://darrencrissne...o-much-going-on

July 24, 2015.   Quote from Darren at the Giffoni Film Festival
"Troppe cose da fare! (Too many things to do!)
No, I mean, it’s a question we get a lot, and by ‘we’ I mean me and anybody I know. I just… I get busy. You know, Glee took up most of my time and anytime I had time to make an album I was never happy with the amount of time I had, so I’d just go “Okay, I’ll do this later”.
I’m not a man in rush. If I had nothing else going on I’m sure there would have been a lot of music albums out there.
It’s been several years since a lot of you have been following whatever I do, so you know very well that, working in a TV show, playing concerts and stuff, and of course Hedwig came around, and I really wanted to do that, so… It keeps getting pushed back because I have the luck to be able to do that, because there’s other things to do. So much so that it’s becoming kind of a joke.
I know a lot of fans are wondering where it is, and it’s in there somewhere, it’s just… I haven’t made it my first priority."
— Darren Criss when asked about his solo album at Giffoni Film Festival (July 24, 2015)
http://darrencrissne...things-to-do-no

December 9, 2015.    Darren posted on his Facebook page a video about "Not Alone."  He also posted this message:
"For the first time ever, a fully produced version of "Not Alone" is here. The song and shirt will only be available for the next 14 days through www.represent.com/darrencriss . Many of you have been wondering for years where a full-length album is. I can promise that while I’ve been continually working towards putting one out, I have equally been primarily focused on making it a body of work that I'm proud of. As such, I have in fact, written and recorded dozens of songs, but a majority of them haven't felt quite ready. However, a track that always stood out on its own was a full studio version of "Not Alone." Thanks to Represent, we've found a unique way to release this song, that will help in this goal of putting out a full album."
https://www.facebook.com/darrencriss/videos/10153200716069147/

A quote from the video he posted on his facebook page:    "We were in the studio for a while working on a lot of different songs, and I amassed so much material.  But it just, a lot of it didn't feel right yet.  It didn't feel ready.  But "Not Alone" was always in a class by itself."  

February 25, 2016.      Youtube video entitled:   “Darren backstage interview at Good Day DC | Feb. 25th 2016 “     https://www.youtube....h?v=RsD-lvEO4-s

At around point 8:00, Darren says that he's doing "a lot of writing, writing, writing."  

February 26, 2016.   "With 'Glee' in his past, Criss has enjoyed disappearing a little bit to work on personal projects now that he has the time, which he says is ultimately more valuable than any job or paycheck.      'I’m enjoying having the time, and writing my next thing. We’ll see what it is.' "
http://wtop.com/entertainment/2016/02/darren-criss-talks-broadway-today-and-glee/

March 29, 2016

CBC Interview:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/singer-darren-criss-takes-his-voice-from-glee-to-broadway-and-beyond-1.3511125
“As for his fans — he has nearly two million followers on Twitter — who have been waiting patiently and sometimes not so patiently for Criss to release his long awaited debut solo album, he admits the delays have become a bit of a running joke.
But, he hopes, it will happen, eventually.
‘At this point it's more for the fans who have been very supportive more than it is for me, although if I don't do this soon I'll probably go insane.’ ”

April 15, 2016.  The Miami Herald Article   The Miami Herald.

“I’m writing a lot at home.”

“But you don’t have to worry about me,  I have a standing situation.”

April 20, 2016.

Part review, part interview in bocamag.com.  bocamag.com

Q:  “Now you said you’re not a singer, but ‘Glee’ fans have been waiting for a debut album.  When can we expect that from you?"
A:   "I always get that question and the answer is I don't know.  I'm too much of a perfectionist I guess.  At this point, it's become a joke that it'll never  happen.  One day it'll appear.  [The fans] will be over it by the time it comes out." 

August 25 and 28, 2016

homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Tumblr_ocg7yqjtYn1uetdyxo1_1280
loudmouthmuch: Back at it with @darrencriss working on his new project. #fathersontimes
dailydarrennews
August 25 2016

homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Tumblr_ocmvfiR1nR1uetdyxo1_500
lukeedgemon: Blaine and Papa Anderson together again! Hahaha i love making music with these people!!!
dailydarrennews
August 28, 2016.

September 18, 2016. 
Not sure if his haircut is foretelling something about an upcoming album, but thought I would add it here, just in case. 

darrencriss The time has come!

September 18 2016
dailydarrennews

darrencriss It is done.

September 18 2016
dailydarrennews

-

September 20, 2016
Interview with ETonline.com

ETonline.com wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Darren Criss Says the biggest Challenge of Playing 'Hedwig' Is Not Being Able to Drink

As for what's next, Criss is keeping future projects under wraps.

"Hopefully 2017 will be a really interesting year, where I'll just drop something and you'll be like, 'When did he do that?'" he teased. "The answer was, 'Right around now.'"

Fans can catch Criss at his performances of Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the SHN Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco, and at the Hollywood Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles in November.

ETonline.com
September 20, 2016

In the video, I believe Darren said:
Darren wrote:Hopefully 2017 will be a really interesting year, where I'll just drop some things, and you'll be like, 'When did he do that?'  And the answer was, 'Right around now.'

October 18, 2016

Darren Criss- Feinstein's at the Nikko - San Francisco, CA - November 30th, 2016

Actor, musician, Emmy-nominated composer and San Francisco native, Darren Criss, will make his Feinstein’s at the Nikko debut with a selection of songs from his upcoming album as well as favorites from throughout his career. Criss is reprising his critically acclaimed Broadway performance as “Hedwig” in the San Francisco and Los Angeles engagements of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Criss made his Broadway debut in 2014 as J. Pierrepont Finch in the 2014 Tony Award winning Best Musical Revival How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. He is best known for his breakout role as Blaine Anderson on Fox’s Emmy and Golden Globe Award winning series “Glee.” Most recently Criss appeared on the Emmy Award winning FX series “American Horror Story” and will be seen in the upcoming Indie comedy “Smitten” directed by Academy Award winner Barry Morrow. He starred opposite Annette Bening and Kristen Wiig in “Girl Most Likely” and guest starred on “Michael Feinstein’s New Year’s Eve” on PBS. Criss is the founder of NYC’s annual show tunes music festival. “Elsie Fest.”

Wed, November 30, 2016

Doors: 5:30 pm / Show: 7:00 pm

Buy Tickets

October 18 2016
( via dailydarrennews)
Note:  It turns out no songs from Darren's upcoming album were song at the Feinstein's at the Nikko concert in SF (and no mention was made by Darren of an upcoming album at this concert).

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 6 times in total

2homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:03 am

Hmmm, I wonder if he is still with Colombia?

3homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if he is still with Colombia?

Yes, that's a good question.   I personally think it would be a better fit for him if he is with a smaller label.  But I don't know.  His wording in the last interview was so vague.  I don't know

4homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 am

Poppy wrote:
dusty wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if he is still with Colombia?

Yes, that's a good question.   I personally think it would be a better fit for him if he is with a smaller label.  But I don't know.  His wording in the last interview was so vague.  I don't know
Yes, it didn't really reveal much did it? You might be right that he is better of with a smaller label. He might have more say. On the other hand they might not be able to promote him as much. Luckily, Darren already has a fanbase.

It really is strange, what's going on with this album. Seems like he had a change of heart as in what direction his album would go as per that talk with Chuck over Christmas. Maybe that resulted in some tension with Colombia? Idk.

What would you like his album to be like? As in do you have a particular genre you'd like him to do?

5homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:Yes, it didn't really reveal much did it? You might be right that he is better of with a smaller label. He might have more say. On the other hand they might not be able to promote him as much. Luckily, Darren already has a fanbase.

It really is strange, what's going on with this album. Seems like he had a change of heart as in what direction his album would go as per that talk with Chuck over Christmas. Maybe that resulted in some tension with Colombia? Idk.

Yes, the bigger labels seem to be the best at promoting, since they have large funds.  But first, we just need a label that allows him to release an album, or an EP, or a single.   

Darren does have a fanbase.  I also have a feeling based on interviews, that his expectations are modest in terms of sales, especially since he indicated he most likely will not be focusing on pop music. 

But yeah, the whole album thing has been frustrating and perplexing.  And that's coming from the perspective of his fans. Can you imagine how it must have affected Darren?   Your theory about a possible difference in expectations of the direction of the album is what I'm also wondering.   And then after Glee ended, you throw in another variable, the issue of Darren focusing his attention on other projects, like theater.   

He has talked in interviews about lately working on personal projects.  I really would like to know what he means by that.   He is the Energizer bunny himself.   He seems to like to keep himself busy, always moving and working, so that he looks something like this guy :so happy   , and he's been relatively quiet this calendar year, so I wonder what he's been working on.

dusty wrote:What would you like his album to be like? As in do you have a particular genre you'd like him to do?

I would like Darren to mix it up.  He is good at adapting to songs from different genres.  So include some soul, some singer-songwriter/folksy, some pop, some with a more Indie feel, and some rock.  Some ballads and some faster songs.  Some more upbeat songs, and some emotional, angst-filled songs. 

What about you, dusty?  Anyone else?

6homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:57 am

He'll probably suddenly launch it and we'll all be taken by surprise! lol!

Very wise of him to have low expectations in regards to sales. Music sales aren't what they used to be and he needs to build an audience outside of his Glee/Starkid fanbase. At least he has a start in that he already has an existing fanbase clamouring for new material from him.

I agree that he is good at adapting to many genres and previously I was like you; I wanted him to include a bit of everything on the album. However having seen that being done with other artists right out the gate, I don't think it is the way to go. It often just ends up confusing and the album ends up incohesive. So, bearing that in mind (and also with my own selfish interest), I'd like to see him produce something in the indie/80s alternative vibe. I think that would suit him down to a T. He's an indie kid and he nailed all the 80s stuff on Glee such as Depeche Mode, Simple Minds and Human League. I'd love it if he produced something like that. One direction I hope he doesn't go in is the MOR Michael Buble path (no offence meant to those who like that genre). I just find it so boring and it'll age him so much! He can do that when he is fifty! tongue

Btw, one of my favourite songs he's done is that cover of that Sam Cooke song he did at some club one time. He really does have some proper soul to his voice, it'd be nice to unleash that some time.

7homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:13 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I'd like to see him produce something in the indie/80s alternative vibe. I think that would suit him down to a T. He's an indie kid and he nailed all the 80s stuff on Glee such as Depeche Mode, Simple Minds and Human League.

As I love the sound from the 80's (and the 90's), I also love that idea. When Glee was still on air, I've thought about Darren covering New York City Boy and Always on my mind (alone or with Chris). 

I agree that he is good at adapting to many genres and previously I was like you; I wanted him to include a bit of everything on the album. However having seen that being done with other artists right out the gate, I don't think it is the way to go. It often just ends up confusing and the album ends up incohesive.

Well, I think an album that mixes a lot of music genres can be pretty cohesive if the rest (the lyrics, the visual aspect, the voice, idk) is homogenic.

8homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:He'll probably suddenly launch it and we'll all be taken by surprise! lol!

ha!  I actually think this is very likely.  It's so "Darren."   It's what happened with Hedwig and the Angry Inch.  It's what happened with The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.  People joke he's a Ninja, you know, quiet and in the shadows, and then bam!  (Or Blam! :amused )  All of a sudden, we have a big announcement that we did not see coming at all. 

dusty wrote:he needs to build an audience outside of his Glee/Starkid fanbase. At least he has a start in that he already has an existing fanbase clamouring for new material from him.

I agree.  He needs to build a broader audience and show he has credibility outside of his Glee and StarKid fans.  At the same time, it's great that he has a starting point, an existing fanbase, that is craving new original music (like dusty and me, and I think Lilikoiluv as well).   I'm curious about your thoughts about Darren and his music, Lin and Jeremy, whether you two are eagerly awaiting a release of his original music.   It's interesting because Darren is a Renaissance man, so I know fans who primarily are interested in his acting work (whether it be TV, films, or theater), and who are not so interested in his music, whereas other fans like me, are equally interested in his music as well as his acting.

dusty wrote:However having seen that being done with other artists right out the gate, I don't think it is the way to go. It often just ends up confusing and the album ends up incohesive. So, bearing that in mind (and also with my own selfish interest), I'd like to see him produce something in the indie/80s alternative vibe. I think that would suit him down to a T. He's an indie kid and he nailed all the 80s stuff on Glee such as Depeche Mode, Simple Minds and Human League.

Can anyone refresh my memory.  What Glee songs would be considered 80s alternative vibe?   "Just Can't Get Enough" (duet), "Don't You Want Me" (duet), "Don't You Forget about Me" (group song)?   Any others that come to mind?   I really loved the duet of "Don't You Want Me" with Lea in that episode.

Yup, Darren is an Indie kid.  He's also singer/song-writer too.  Would  these be considered to be Indie songs:  "Cough Syrup," "This is the New Year" (group song, but he was lead on it), "Somebody that I Used to Know" (duet), "Best Day of My Life" (duet)?

dusty wrote:One direction I hope he doesn't go in is the MOR Michael Buble path (no offence meant to those who like that genre). I just find it so boring and it'll age him so much! He can do that when he is fifty! homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Icon_tongue

hey!  I love Michael Buble. mad    ha!  But I agree with you, I wouldn't want his debut album to focus on the jazz standards.  :amused

dusty wrote:Btw, one of my favourite songs he's done is that cover of that Sam Cooke song he did at some club one time. He really does have some proper soul to his voice, it'd be nice to unleash that some time.
I'm with you.  I'm fond of Darren's version of "Bring it Home to Me."   I first saw him sing this song at that party in NYC that was thrown for him when he was in How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying.   It was at The Darby.

Here's a later version of him performing this song in L.A.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, dusty.  :happy face

Jeremy wrote:
As I love the sound from the 80's (and the 90's), I also love that idea. When Glee was still on air, I've thought about Darren covering New York City Boy and Always on my mind (alone or with Chris).

It would have been fun to hear those two songs on Glee. 

Jeremy wrote:Well, I think an album that mixes a lot of music genres can be pretty cohesive if the rest (the lyrics, the visual aspect, the voice, idk) is homogenic.

Interesting.  Good point.  I love the various views on this topic.   Thanks for your comments, Jeremy.

9homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:45 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Can anyone refresh my memory.  What Glee songs would be considered 80s alternative vibe?   "Just Can't Get Enough" (duet), "Don't You Want Me" (duet), "Don't You Forget about Me" (group song)?

Take me home tonight ? Love is a battlefield ? I wanna be starting something ? Man in the mirror ?

10homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Jeremy.  :happy face

11homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:39 am

Poppy wrote:Lin and Jeremy, whether you two are eagerly awaiting a release of his original music.   It's interesting because Darren is a Renaissance man, so I know fans who primarily are interested in his acting work (whether it be TV, films, or theater), and who are not so interested in his music, whereas other fans like me, are equally interested in his music as well as his acting.

Of course I want Darren to get around to his album eventually, but I'm not too impatient for it, because at least there is a lot of stuff out there from Glee and various recordings of live performances, so I'm not too starved for his voice! Other former Glee cast members rarely (if ever) perform, so it must be a lot worse for their fans.
But I really really love some of Darren's lyrics, so I'm curious to hear some more actual finished and professionally recorded original songs. While I liked the songs he wrote for Glee, they were definitely tailored to Glee and intentionally a little cheesy. And a lot of his other songs were also written for a specific purpose, and he's great at that, but I'm curious to hear some more "Darren".

12homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin wrote:Of course I want Darren to get around to his album eventually, but I'm not too impatient for it, because at least there is a lot of stuff out there from Glee and various recordings of live performances, so I'm not too starved for his voice! Other former Glee cast members rarely (if ever) perform, so it must be a lot worse for their fans.

I can see your point.  :happy face 

Lin wrote:But I really really love some of Darren's lyrics, so I'm curious to hear some more actual finished and professionally recorded original songs.

Yes!   As dusty has written, when you look at "This Time," you can see how he's grown as a composer.    And when combined with how much his singing voice has grown stronger, I would love to see some of Darren's original songs professionally recorded!

Lin wrote:While I liked the songs he wrote for Glee, they were definitely tailored to Glee and intentionally a little cheesy. And a lot of his other songs were also written for a specific purpose, and he's great at that, but I'm curious to hear some more "Darren".

"This Time" and "Rise" were written to adapt to the nature of the show on which they appeared, "Glee," and this is what a good composer does.  Darren captured the tone of the show and of the moment/scene/theme with which the songs were connected.    So those songs were very "Glee-like" in nature.   His StarKid songs also have a certain flavor that is theatrical (and also, didn't he write certain songs for "Little White Lie," or were those songs already written prior to LWL?) .   I would love to hear more songs that reflect more of Darren's vision of his own original music.

13homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:02 am

Poppy wrote: (and also, didn't he write certain songs for "Little White Lie," or were those songs already written prior to LWL?)
I know Sami and It's Over Now were written for LWL. I'm not sure if the others were (or even which other songs he had in it).

I was also thinking of some of his tour songs that seemed more like "trying the pop star thing" than completely "Darren". I can still appreciate them for being catchy, but they aren't among my favourite of his songs.

14homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the answer about the songs in Little White Lie, Lin!

I agree about some of his more pop-type songs that Darren tried out during his Listen Up Tour.  The melodies of some of them were, as you said, very catchy.  Darren definitely has an ear for catchy melodies, which is a great skill.  I didn't especially take to the lyrics of some of the more pop-ish type songs during that tour.    I did absolutely love "Once Upon a Time," both lyrically and its melody, along with a sweet, quiet song called "I Don't Mind."

I like your Signature, Lin!   Very cool!  I will PM you some time this week.  :happy face

15homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Agreed, I LOVE the lyrics to Once Upon A Time. That's one of my favourite Darren songs. :love

16homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:06 am

*Jeremy* wrote:
I'd like to see him produce something in the indie/80s alternative vibe. I think that would suit him down to a T. He's an indie kid and he nailed all the 80s stuff on Glee such as Depeche Mode, Simple Minds and Human League.

I agree that he is good at adapting to many genres and previously I was like you; I wanted him to include a bit of everything on the album. However having seen that being done with other artists right out the gate, I don't think it is the way to go. It often just ends up confusing and the album ends up incohesive.

Well, I think an album that mixes a lot of music genres can be pretty cohesive if the rest (the lyrics, the visual aspect, the voice, idk) is homogenic.

He does those eras so well doesn't he? Imagine what an amazing album we could get!

I see what you say and would agree up to a point, however I find in my experience that it's more the music that counts in that respect. Especially considering people like to know what they are getting. If you have an album where one song is jazz, the next rock followed by a soaring power ballad, I don't think most people will enjoy it. I think it wll just be very confusing. Looking at artists they don't go around mixing genres on an album. Aerosmith does rock, Katy Perry pop etc. Adam Lambert tried the whole appealing to all thing with his first album and it didn't go down so well as far as I remember. Incidentally I actually really liked that album! :laughing  Though as an album it doesn't flow that well. We'll see what DC comes up with but I feel it's important for him to have the music with a red thread running through it, so to speak.

Last edited by dusty on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

17homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 am

Lin wrote:
Poppy wrote: (and also, didn't he write certain songs for "Little White Lie," or were those songs already written prior to LWL?)
I know Sami and It's Over Now were written for LWL. I'm not sure if the others were (or even which other songs he had in it).

I was also thinking of some of his tour songs that seemed more like "trying the pop star thing" than completely "Darren". I can still appreciate them for being catchy, but they aren't among my favourite of his songs.

Yes, I agree with the bolded. Especially that photogirl song was awful! Can't even remember what it was called. Picture perfect girl or something?

Once Upon a Time was lovely. I also liked the one that he only performed once, can't remember what it was called now. I Would?
Poppy, I agree about the catchy melodies. That's definitely a skill he has and one that comes in very handy in writing for musicals.

18homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:17 am

Poppy wrote:
dusty wrote:He'll probably suddenly launch it and we'll all be taken by surprise! lol!

ha!  I actually think this is very likely.  It's so "Darren."   It's what happened with Hedwig and the Angry Inch.  It's what happened with The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.  People joke he's a Ninja, you know, quiet and in the shadows, and then bam!  (Or Blam! :amused )  All of a sudden, we have a big announcement that we did not see coming at all. 

dusty wrote:he needs to build an audience outside of his Glee/Starkid fanbase. At least he has a start in that he already has an existing fanbase clamouring for new material from him.

I agree.  He needs to build a broader audience and show he has credibility outside of his Glee and StarKid fans.  At the same time, it's great that he has a starting point, an existing fanbase, that is craving new original music (like dusty and me, and I think Lilikoiluv as well).   I'm curious about your thoughts about Darren and his music, Lin and Jeremy, whether you two are eagerly awaiting a release of his original music.   It's interesting because Darren is a Renaissance man, so I know fans who primarily are interested in his acting work (whether it be TV, films, or theater), and who are not so interested in his music, whereas other fans like me, are equally interested in his music as well as his acting.

dusty wrote:However having seen that being done with other artists right out the gate, I don't think it is the way to go. It often just ends up confusing and the album ends up incohesive. So, bearing that in mind (and also with my own selfish interest), I'd like to see him produce something in the indie/80s alternative vibe. I think that would suit him down to a T. He's an indie kid and he nailed all the 80s stuff on Glee such as Depeche Mode, Simple Minds and Human League.

Can anyone refresh my memory.  What Glee songs would be considered 80s alternative vibe?   "Just Can't Get Enough" (duet), "Don't You Want Me" (duet), "Don't You Forget about Me" (group song)?   Any others that come to mind?   I really loved the duet of "Don't You Want Me" with Lea in that episode.

Yup, Darren is an Indie kid.  He's also singer/song-writer too.  Would  these be considered to be Indie songs:  "Cough Syrup," "This is the New Year" (group song, but he was lead on it), "Somebody that I Used to Know" (duet), "Best Day of My Life" (duet)?

dusty wrote:One direction I hope he doesn't go in is the MOR Michael Buble path (no offence meant to those who like that genre). I just find it so boring and it'll age him so much! He can do that when he is fifty! homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Icon_tongue

hey!  I love Michael Buble. mad    ha!  But I agree with you, I wouldn't want his debut album to focus on the jazz standards.  :amused

dusty wrote:Btw, one of my favourite songs he's done is that cover of that Sam Cooke song he did at some club one time. He really does have some proper soul to his voice, it'd be nice to unleash that some time.
I'm with you.  I'm fond of Darren's version of "Bring it Home to Me."   I first saw him sing this song at that party in NYC that was thrown for him when he was in How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying.   It was at The Darby.

Here's a later version of him performing this song in L.A.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, dusty.  :happy face

Jeremy wrote:

It would have been fun to hear those two songs on Glee. 

Jeremy wrote:Well, I think an album that mixes a lot of music genres can be pretty cohesive if the rest (the lyrics, the visual aspect, the voice, idk) is homogenic.

Interesting.  Good point.  I love the various views on this topic.   Thanks for your comments, Jeremy.

Yes, all those are 80s alternative and the others you mentioned are indie. :happy face

Hahahaha, sorry for dragging down Buble! : it's gonna be ok (But I am glad you agree). :laughing

Thank you for posting those vids!! Love him doing that song. He really does have some soul to his voice.

19homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty wrote:He does those eras so well doesn't he? Imagine what an amazing album we could get!

I see what you say and would agree up to a point, however I find in my experience that it's more the music that counts in that respect. Especially considering people like to know what they are getting. If you have an album where one song is jazz, the next rock followed by a soaring power ballad, I don't think most people will enjoy it. I think it wll just be very confusing. Looking at artists they don't go around mixing genres on an album. Aerosmith does rock, Katy Perry pop etc. Adam Lambert tried the whole appealing to all thing with his first album and it didn't go down so well as far as I remember. Incidentally I actually really liked that album! homework - Discussion of Darren's Album 1021284439  Though as an album it doesn't flow that well. We'll see what DC comes up with but I feel it's important for him to have the music with a red thread running through it, so to speak.

Yes, I agree.   (Just like he does the jazz standards well!  :amused )   The thing with Darren is, that he has such an open mind in regard to music, that he seems to study them to a certain degree and understands the feel behind the music of the different time periods (and genres). 

Wow, well-expressed thoughts, dusty.   I love reading about your thoughts about music!  :happy face

I have mixed feelings on this issue of Darren's debut album.    I think of his existing fanbase, that many may not necessarily feel its important to have a common thread running through the songs in his album?  (We just want an album!  And now!  Or soon. Or sometime in the near future. :amused )   I also don't mind if there is not a common thread running through his album.  And I think he does so many different genres of music well, soul, pop, folksy/singer-songwriter, Indie, rock/punk.  But I do see what you are saying, that many music artists have a "type" of music.  I have a feeling that you, dusty, are more of a music aficionado that I am, so this may be something that is important to you and to other music lovers who extend beyond most people in Darren's fan base.   Music critics may expect something like a common thread/feel/theme to his debut album, for example.   I also know that Darren needs to attain credibility as a music artist in a way that goes beyond his Glee and StarKid fans.   So . . . . mixed feelings.

dusty wrote:Once Upon a Time was lovely. I also liked the one that he only performed once, can't remember what it was called now. I Would?

Poppy, I agree about the catchy melodies. That's definitely a skill he has and one that comes in very handy in writing for musicals.

I think the song is called "I Don't Mind" and I posted the youtube video upstream.  Is that the song you are talking about?  He only performed it in one venue (I think it was Nashville) during the Listen Up tour.  And yes, may we have a musical with the score and lyrics written by Darren, please?!

dusty wrote:Yes, all those are 80s alternative and the others you mentioned are indie. homework - Discussion of Darren's Album 3308115737
Hahahaha, sorry for dragging down Buble! homework - Discussion of Darren's Album 2687842340 (But I am glad you agree). homework - Discussion of Darren's Album 1021284439

Thank you for posting those vids!! Love him doing that song. He really does have some soul to his voice.

Thanks for your answer about the Indie songs, dusty.  And I forgive you this time, about Michael Buble.  Razz

20homework - Discussion of Darren's Album Empty Re: Discussion of Darren's Album Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 am

You're right in regards to his fanbase Poppy, they just want an album! We've been waiting long enough! But I think if he were looking to expand his fanbase and get some critics on board he'd be wise to not mix it up to much genre wise. But hey, what do I know? I could be completely wrong about this. I hope he'll release something soon. As much as I look forward to whatever he does (film/tv/stage) I think at the moment I'm mostly hankering for an album.

Yes, that was the song! Completely missed it up-thread! D'oh! I agree he does have a way of writing heartfelt songs. It's a great skill.

Aw, have a Buble hug! :hug  Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum