Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elsie Fest 2016

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

21ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30yqfjNn1uetdyxo2_400

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30yqfjNn1uetdyxo1_500

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30yqfjNn1uetdyxo3_1280
HQ | Darren Criss visits The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show on July 29th, 2016
dailydarrennews

Nice pics.
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30nbfAfP1uetdyxo1_400  ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30nbfAfP1uetdyxo6_400

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30nbfAfP1uetdyxo5_400  ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30nbfAfP1uetdyxo2_400
dailydarrennews

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30dhMEw51uetdyxo1_400

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30dhMEw51uetdyxo6_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30dhMEw51uetdyxo2_1280
HQ | Darren Criss poses with Elvis Duran during his visit to The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show at Z100 Studio on July 29 2016 in New York City
dailydarrennews

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob2xrlhb0w1uetdyxo1_500
Web Girl Kathleen‏ I don’t often take pics with @ElvisDuranShow guests…. But I LOOOVEEEE @DarrenCriss!

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30w1qCWH1uetdyxo1_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30w1qCWH1uetdyxo4_1280
dailydarrennews

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30rqUpcy1uetdyxo2_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30rqUpcy1uetdyxo3_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30rqUpcy1uetdyxo6_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob30rqUpcy1uetdyxo9_1280
dailydarrennews

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35yjSZFh1uetdyxo8_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35yjSZFh1uetdyxo6_400
Darren Criss Chats About Putting Together Elsie Fest 2016 in NYC
dailydarrennews

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35tgk3bq1uetdyxo5_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35tgk3bq1uetdyxo9_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35tgk3bq1uetdyxo10_1280
dailydarrennews

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35q3TdzM1uetdyxo9_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob35q3TdzM1uetdyxo10_1280
dailydarrennews

I'm glad that Elvis Duran will be going to Elsie Fest again this year.  I like this friendship he has with Darren.  They're so funny together and Elvis is so supportive of Darren.  :happy face

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total

22ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:52 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Elsief10

Link to Ticketmaster
@ElsieFest

-

23ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ob8rxsMOip1uetdyxo1_500

Link

I'm going to quote the article.  The article nicely lays out info about this year's line up, and includes a short review of last year's Elsie Fest:

In New York wrote:

Elsie Fest to Rock Coney Island on Labor Day

Last year, fans of musical theater got to experience an outdoor music festival dedicated to songs of the stage and screen—Elsie Fest. This passion project from Emmy nominated musician and actor Darren Criss, talent manager Ricky Rollins and Broadway producer/Jujamcyn Theaters President Jordan Roth is back for Round Two—this time in Brooklyn—and looks to be bigger than before.

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 EF%20-%20DC%20and%20RR%20-%20Photo%20by%20Justin%20Kahnuse%20Semicolon%20FirstLook
Elsie Fest co-founders Darren Criss (left) and Ricky Rollins on stage with festival-goers behind them at the inaugural show in 2015. (©Justin Kahnuse: FirstLook)

The Second Annual Elsie Fest has amassed quite a lineup with each performer/performers presenting a full set of songs. Slated to perform are:

Megan Hilty
– A Tony nominee for the recent “Noise’s Off” revival, Hilty also starred as Glinda in “Wicked” and in Doralee Rhodes in “9 to 5: The Musical,” as well as played Ivy Lynn on the NBC series “Smash.”

Tituss Burgess
– This star of stage and screen is a two-time Emmy nominee for his role as Titus Andromedon on “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” He has been in four Broadway musicals, including “The Little Mermaid”—he played Sebastian.

Darren Criss
– He played Blaine Anderson on the television series “Glee” and has starred on Broadway twice as J. Pierpont Finch in a revival of “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” and the title role in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.”

Rebel and a Basketcase
– This duo of actress/musician Evan Rachel Wood (“Thirteen,” “Across the Universe”) and musician Zach Villa have an electronic pop/alternative sound and cite David Bowie, The Cure and Radiohead and more among those who influence their glam style and 80s pop/rock sound.

Jason Robert Brown
– This two-time Tony winning composer, lyricist and playwright is responsible for making our hearts break with “The Last Five Years” and the musical adaptation of  “The Bridges of Madison County,” among other works.

Lena Hall
– Hall won a Tony Award for her role as Yitzak in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” and was in the original ensemble of the musical adaptation of “Tarzan,” as well as was a featured actress in the Tony Award-winning “Kinky Boots.” She is the lead singer of the band The Deafening.

Corey Cott
– Star of the upcoming Broadway musical “The Bandstand,” Cott was in the recent revival of “Gigi,” as well as starred as Jack Kelly in the acclaimed stage version of “Newsies.” 

Pasek and Paul
– This Tony-nominated duo (Benj Pasek and Justin Paul) wrote the music for “A Christmas Story, The Musical,” as well as the Off-Broadway smash “Dogfight,” among other shows. Their recent collaboration “Dear Evan Hansen” premiered in Washington D.C. in 2015, was Off-Broadway earlier this year and will transfer to Broadway this fall.

Julie James
– James is a Sirius XM Radio “On Broadway” host, as well as the Program Director for “On Broadway” and “Met Opera Radio.” Listen to her for your daily dish about all-things theater with “Broadway Buzz.”
AND

There will be a special guest performance by Cynthia Erivo—this year’s Tony Award winner for Best Actress in a Musical for her performance in “The Color Purple.” (In my honest opinion, hearing her sing in person is a life-changing experience. Just saying.) 

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 EF%20-%20LOJ%20-%20Vladislav%20Grach%20Live%20Nation
Leslie Odom, Jr. owning the stage during Elsie Fest 2015. (©Vladislav Grach: Live Nation)

I attended Elie Fest last year at Pier 97 with a large group of my friends and though we weren’t quite sure what to expect—seeing as it was a brand new festival—we had the best time ever. It was so special to be together, singing along (and maybe dancing a little… or a lot) to our favorite showtunes, surrounded by hundreds of people doing the same thing.

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 EF%20-%20LS%20-%20Vladislav%20Grach%20Live%20Nation
Actual Disney Princess, Lea Salonga (©Vladislav Grach: Live Nation)

During Elsie Fest 2015, we got to see Lea Salonga, Aaron Tveit, Laura Osnes, Leslie Odom Jr., Seth Rudetsky, StarKid and Darren Criss. They sang solos. There were duets. (For example, Lea Salonga—the singing voice of Princess Jasmine from the animated Disney "Aladdin" movie—sang "A Whole New World" with Darren Criss.) Criss even had Tyler Glenn from Neon Trees help him out with “Animal” and the guys from A Great Big World accompany him on “Beauty and the Beast.” It was a fantastic few hours of songs and I’m very much looking forward to seeing what this year’s festival has in store.

Elsie Fest—named after Sally Bowles’ former roommate as mentioned in the the song “Cabaret” from the musical of the same name—will take place Monday, Sept. 5 (Labor Day) at the Ford Ampitheater at the Coney Island Boardwalk. The festival begins at 1 pm and will last into the evening. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDs. Food, drinks and merchandise will be available for purchase and there will also be a beer garden sponsored by Marie's Crisis.

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 EF%20-%20AT%20-%20Jenny%20Anderson%20for%20Broadway%20Style%20Guide
Aaron Tveit serenading the masses at Elsie Fest 2015 (©Jenny Anderson for Broadway Style Guide)

Tickets for Elsie Fest are on sale now at Ticketmaster—click here.

-In New York

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

24ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obgckj85Fy1uetdyxo1_500
link
dailydarrennews

Click here for Tickets through Ticketmaster

Link to Ticketmaster:  http://www.ticketmaster.com/elsie-fest-brooklyn-new-york-09-05-2016/event/1D0050FAAF61248D?artistid=2156255&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=766

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

25ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

This sounds like a great opportunity to see Elsie Fest:
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obgkuxtXqY1uetdyxo1_500
link to giveaway

dailydarrennews

-

26ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

A new interview, with Darren promoting Elsie Fest 2016 (Sunny 106.3/iHeart Radio):

Sunny 106.3/iHeart Radio wrote:
Elsie Fest 2016: Darren Criss Wants to Bring Show Tunes Beyond The Velvet Seats
August 8, 2016

Taking Broadway outside of the confinement of a prestige theater with the velvet seats, ushers and overall grandeur was an idea that Darren Criss wanted to conceptualize for quite some time. Thus, the 2015 launch of Elsie Fest, a New York City-based outdoor music festival devoted to all things stage and screen created by Criss, Ricky Rollins and Jordan Roth.

After last year’s successful soft launch at JBL Live at Pier 97, the show tunes-centric festivity is back for another round of Broadway sights and the 29-year-old "Glee" star recently stopped by iHeartRadio HQ for a one-on-one interview to talk about why it was so important for him to bring the world of theater into the open-air sectors of the Big Apple.

“I've been thinking about it for a long time. I go to festivals all the time. I see all kinds of shows. I go to a lot of theater. I go to the cabaret stuff and there is a through line of enthusiasm of the fans that I noticed and it seemed almost a shame to me that a lot of these people that love these things didn't have venues worthy of their enthusiasm,” Criss told us. “There is a decorum that one sort of follows when you go to see certain shows. People do hoot and holler at the theater, but when you're seeing a cabaret show in a velvet seat in nice suit and tie, you tend to restrain yourself a little bit.”

For their second go, Elsie Fest will take over Coney Island's Ford Amphitheater on Labor Day (September 5) at 1 p.m. ET with an all-star lineup, including folks like Megan Hilty, Tituss Burgess, Lena Hall, Criss and even “Color Purple” star Cynthia Erivo.

Criss on Elsie Fest’s Lineup

“We're celebrating the stars and songs from stages and screens, so that inevitably leans on the Broadway scale, but, you know, it's people in pop culture that have a lot of crossover [appeal],” he explained. “Megan is a TV star and a Broadway star as is a number of our other performers [that] have crossed a lot of different worlds. I just like having as much of a mixed bag as possible. I don't know when Rebel and a BasketcaseEvan Rachel Wood's band would ever perform with a Megan Hilty on the same bill. We're the iPod culture and even that's almost outdated. . . .We're the playlist generation now. It is not odd for you to have Biggie Smalls, Barbara Streisand, the cast of ‘Hamilton’ [on your playlist]. That's cool that people are used to eclectic things and so I really want to provide that for these people.”

On Elsie Fest’s Name and Location

Cabaret remains the backbone of the festival, so it’s no surprise that the San Francisco native named the affair after the fictional character from the 1966 Broadway production, “Cabaret." “It is rock 'n roll. I named a musical theater festival after a pill addicted dead hooker,” he explained, prompting a laugh amongst our production staff.

As for why he decided that the sandy Brooklyn boardwalk was the perfect place to host this year’s festivity, Criss said that it all comes down to it being “a super New York thing.” “The Broadway scene is a huge part of the background of the cultural New York City vibe,” he stressed. “It’s a huge part of why a lot of people come to this city and I wanted to make it a full experience of New York.”

That doesn’t mean that he hasn’t thought about taking the Broadway act on the road for the rest of America to see. Criss just wants to focus on one city at a time.

“That'd be fun. I think in the future we wanna do that. I think there's definitely a market for that … an appetite for a lot of people who can't make it to New York City,” he explained, before admitting that it’s important to successfully launch in the Big Apple before anywhere else. “I really want to birth this properly in New York before it has enough wings to fly away and grow and be its own beast elsewhere.”

Tickets to Elsie Fest 2016 are currently on sale via Ticketmaster. Head over to their official website for more information.

-sunny106.3./iHeart Radio

And nice black and white photos of the article:
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_oblqd1xLUE1uetdyxo1_1280

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_oblqd1xLUE1uetdyxo3_500

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_oblqd1xLUE1uetdyxo2_500
Elsie Fest 2016: Darren Criss Wants To Bring Show Tunes Beyond The Velvet Seats
(via dailydarrennews)

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obllezITD31uetdyxo1_500
source
(via dailydarrennews)

Cute little video of 5 things that many of us already know about Darren.  :amused   This is the first time I heard him say he doesn't drink coffee or take caffeine.  But duh.  He's already the Energizer Bunny.  He'll be bouncing off the walls and ceiling if he took caffeine.   excited

Darren in iHeartRadio clip in the “discover” section on Snapchat 

dailydarrennews

27ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:55 pm

Love those photos!
And I know he's mentioned before that he doesn't drink coffee, because I sometimes feel like the only person on the planet who doesn't like it, so that was one of those little "yess, I picked the right person to stan" moments for me. :laughing

28ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lin!

Yes, I love those black and white photos too.  :happy face

Lin wrote:And I know he's mentioned before that he doesn't drink coffee, because I sometimes feel like the only person on the planet who doesn't like it, so that was one of those little "yess, I picked the right person to stan" moments for me. ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 1021284439

haha!  I don't drink coffee either.   :big grin  (Well, I will drink coffee if they put so much chocolate in it that it tastes like hot chocolate, but otherwise, no thanks.)   But I like tea.   Lin, your memory is impressive!  thumbs up

Has he said anything about what his favorite foods and drinks are?   In that video you posted (the pre-Glee one), he said he likes to drink guava juice.  I can't say I've ever tried that.

29ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzcwlVxCp1uetdyxo1_500
Elsie Fest .@DarrenCriss chats #ElsieFest on the @iHeartRadio snapchat channel  http://bit.ly/iHeartSnapNEW

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzdccOHyr1uetdyxo1_250  ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzdccOHyr1uetdyxo2_250

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzdccOHyr1uetdyxo3_250  ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzdccOHyr1uetdyxo4_250

iHeart Radio via Snapchat on August 15th, 2016

I would love this!  :happy face
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzeccSWRh1uetdyxo1_500

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

30ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Yes!  Duet or trio! 
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzeccSWRh1uetdyxo2_r1_500

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_obzeccSWRh1uetdyxo2_r1_500

Youtube version of a video:

From DarrenCrissArmy
An article about Elsie Fest 2016:
The Big Story AP wrote:
Broadway's best to light up coney Island at Elsie Fest
This fall, the famous Coney Island boardwalk will host some special hot dogs with a Broadway flavor.

The second annual Elsie Fest, a one-day outdoor music festival celebrating theater stars, is set for Sept. 5 at the 5,000-seat Ford Amphitheater, offering a new location and a new slate of singers.

This year's performers include Megan Hilty, Tituss Burgess, Darren Criss, Evan Rachel Wood, composer Jason Robert Brown, Tony-winner Lena Hall, Corey Cott, Tony-winner Cynthia Erivo, radio host Julie James and the composing team of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.

"There is truly nothing else like this festival," said Criss, the "Glee" star who helped create the festival. "There was this yearning for something like this that just kind of made it easy. The meat just kind of fell off the bone."

Burgess, a Broadway star currently on "The UnBreakable Kimmy Schmidt," will be in Coney Island for the first time, but last week still wasn't sure what he'll be singing. "I'm going to see what is nearest and closest to my energy and that's probably what I'll be able to execute best."

The concert is the brainchild of Criss, talent manager Ricky Rollins, and Broadway producer and Jujamcyn Theaters President Jordan Roth. Last year's festival drew some 4,000 people to a midtown pier. Tickets start at $60.

The name comes from lyrics in the musical "Cabaret" about a doomed girl named Elsie who would turn to the heroine Sally Bowles and ask: "What good is sitting alone in your room?/ Come hear the music play/ Life is a cabaret, old chum."

Criss hopes to grow Elsie Fest over the next few years, turning it into a two-day event with art, food and cultural offerings. It may move around the city from year to year as it grows.

"It's about an experience to me. Like any festival. It's not just the concert," said Criss. "We're really working on building that out as much as possible to make it a full-on experience and not just a series of concerts."

Criss, who has been on Broadway in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," said he's been tapping his talented friends to join the movement.

Last year, he managed to get Leslie Odom Jr. to rush from a performance of "Hamilton" to appear on the Elsie stage, and this year lured Burgess to Coney Island when both were starring in a concert version of "The Little Mermaid" at the Hollywood Bowl.

"Asking talented friends to do anything is a really humbling experience," said Criss. "No matter how nice people are about it, I just always feel so slimy about it. Having last year under my belt made me more confident."

A year ago, Criss was running around so much at the event trying to make sure everything was going smoothly that he barely had time to focus on what he'd be singing. This year, he's going to focus on his favorite stage songs.

"I'm a fan of a lot of stuff that I'll never be cast in, so I'm definitely going to embrace some of those songs in my set," he said. "That's my shot, an opportunity to perform songs I'd never get the opportunity to do otherwise."
___
Online:
http://www.elsiefest.com

-The Big Story:AP
August 15, 2016

I'm glad that Darren is feeling more confident about asking friends to perform at Elsie Fest.  Last year sounded like a very positive experience for fans who attended. 

I'm curious what songs Darren will be performing (and what songs Tituss will be performing).

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

31ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:49 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Oooohhhhh.   Darren is gonna make an announcement of of more guests.    If I had to guess, I would guess maybe someone from Glee.   Jenna is in NYC for Waitress.  Or maybe Betsy Wolfe or Rebecca Naomi Jones.   Jeremy Jordan owes him 6 favors, although I don't know when Supergirl will start filming.ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_oc6qnlqEar1uetdyxo1_500
darrencriss: #ElsieFest. Labor Day. Coney Island. Link in Bio. Also, adding some people to the lineup and announcing next week. Any guesses?
dailydarrennews

Darren's instagram (with link to a video):
darrencriss: and i’m telling YOU @cynthiaerivo, I’m not goin ANYWHERE… long as I can watch gold like this on the internet, I’m gonna be stayin RIGHT HURR #Repost @elsiefest ・・・
And last but certainly not least as we have the insanely talented @cynthiaerivo coming to #ElsieFest!!! 9/5/16 | Ford Amphitheatre at Coney Island Boardwalk. Get tickets

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

32ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

This was interesting, as well as amusing.

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocbdm3Gtpr1uetdyxo1_1280
Why Cabaret Was a Game-Changer for Darren Criss | playbill
via dailydarrennews

His thought process as a kid (about the show that changed his life, Cabaret):  "Woah, musical theater can be dark & sexy? Crazy!"

The show he would most like to see revived is Dogfight.  "Except it'll have a Broadway debut, pull a Hedwig and win a ton of awards."

The quality he admires the most in a person is wit. 

This is consistent with what he has been saying, that success is defined as "being passionate & finding joy in what one does."

I don't know anything about Dogfight.  Anyone?

Edit:  According to Wikipedia, Dogfight is a musical with music and lyrics by Pasek and Paul, and book by Peter Duchan.  It is based on the 1991 film Dogfight.

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

33ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:06 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

An article in Billboard, where Darren talks a bit about Elsie Fest 2016, as well as talking about his personal playlist for various talented folk.
Billboard wrote:Darren Criss Shares 'Elsie Fest 2016' Playlist, From Ariana Grande to Megan Hilty: Takeover Tuesday

It’s Takeover Tuesday time, where Billboard taps artists and tastemakers to compile their own playlists exclusive to Billboard’s Spotify account. We give the artists free reign to base the list on whatever subject they want and add whatever tracks they choose. The only rule? Make it as creative and unique to them as possible.

This time around, singer/songwriter/actor Darren Criss offers up a personal playlist inspired by Elsie Fest, the outdoor music festival celebrating stars and songs from the stage and screen. The shindig, which was co-created by Criss and launched in 2015, will take place Sept. 5 at the Ford Amphitheater at the Coney Island Boardwalk in New York. The second annual show features Megan Hilty, Tituss Burgess, Criss, Rebel and a Basket Case (Evan Rachel Wood and Zach Villa), Jason Robert Brown, Lena Hall, Corey Cott, Pasek and Paul, Julie James and a special guest performance by Cynthia Erivo. A portion of the show’s proceeds will be donated to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

Below, Criss shares his thoughts on the playlist, Elsie Fest and the many song-and-dance folks that populate the 22-track collection:

[Audio Playlist]

I’m a big fan of the rising popularity in performers who can cross-pollinate entertainment platforms, and even more so of the appetite that we seem to have for it nowadays. There’s a new breed appearing between what has historically only been associated with the theater scene and what we know as pop culture. Categories are becoming a little more fluid than they used to be -- I mean, it’s now cool to embrace one’s love of show tunes and standards, in the same way one would embrace pop music and nerdy internet humor.

More and more we’re seeing our favorite acts on late-night television showcasing their vaudevillian chops. How many times have we clicked on (insert favorite celebrity you didn’t know could sing/dance/play an instrument) on YouTube? God knows I spent enough times clicking away at those videos to the point where I thought, well, this needs to have its own music festival.

So, in the age of Broadway actors playing superheroes on television, movie stars doing internet comedy songs, pop stars releasing cabaret albums, huge singer-songwriters writing scores for musicals... Here are some star-studded folks who have tracks on Spotify that embody what Elsie Fest is all about. From the silver screen to the small screen, from the boob tube to YouTube, from the soundstage to center stage, this list could have gone on forever -- but I had to keep it short. Like I’ve said, it needed a festival.

1. Megan Hilty — “Second Hand White Baby Grand” (live): This was one of my favorite songs to come out of NBC’s Smash. Even if you don’t know anything about the show, this song is a gem and Megan’s voice is stunning. 

2. Tituss Burgess — “Stop Calling Me”
: Before his TV-star turn as Titus Andromedon (on the Netflix series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), he was Broadway’s Tituss Burgess, a powerhouse high tenor that never ceased to make audiences wonder how his voice could make that sound. And before “[url=http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/playlists/7486863/Peeno Noir]Peeno Noir[/url]” (possibly not safe for work), he made a few albums of his own. Here’s one funky-ass jam that still keeps me wondering.

[. . . ]

8/23/2016

34ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:59 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocffdiWqWR1uetdyxo1_500

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocffdiWqWR1uetdyxo2_500
Darren Criss Shares ‘Elsie Fest 2016’ Playlist

Darren's interview on Hollywood Today Live, where he also promoted Elsie Fest.

Darren Criss Has Created The Coachella Of Musical Theater!
Darren Criss is combining his two loves, musical theater and rock, into an epic weekend festival in New York: The Great Elsie Fest! Plus he’s kicking off the national tour of Hedwig and the Angry Inch in San Francisco on October 2nd.

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total

35ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Meet and Greets are on sale now, although many have sold out.  That was quick.  ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ociwh2jyWR1uetdyxo1_500
darrencriss They’re here. I’ll bring the greet. You be in the meet. Let’s go. On sale today at 4pm ET bit.ly/elsiemg

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocjemboXfZ1uetdyxo1_500

Nice little promotion video. 

Darren Criss: Hot Dogs, Beer Gardens, and Showtunes, all day at Elsie Fest on September 5th at Coney Island! ElsieFest.com Full sets from Megan Hilty Online, Tituss Burgess, Todrick Hall Darren Criss, Lena Hall, Corey Cott, Pasek and Paul, Jason Robert Brown, Rebel and a Basketcase, and a speical guest performance by Cynthia Erivo

Todrick Hall is added to the Elsie Fest line-up.   I remember seeing him on American Idol.   He is going to be playing Lola in Kinky Boots on Broadway in November this year.

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total

36ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:51 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocm1iemvH91uetdyxo1_500
Darrencriss: More special guests announced tomorrow… #ElsieFest

How exciting!  applause

Ok, any guesses, anyone?    The red letters (in caps no less) with the creepy, swampy, dark background. . . let's see, who is in such a show?   What show?  What actor in such a show sings?    Sleepy Hollow?  A CW show?

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

37ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am

Poppy wrote:Ok, any guesses, anyone?    The red letters (in caps no less) with the creepy, swampy, dark background. . . let's see, who is in such a show?   What show?  What actor in such a show sings?    Sleepy Hollow?  A CW show?

It's from a new Netflix show called Stranger Things. I'm not sure if anyone from that show is a singer or if they just used the font because everyone (including Darren) is currently obsessed with the show.
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 173

38ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Ok, so we got our answer! 

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocn9rkHqRk1uetdyxo1_500
Elsie Fest‏ Excited to announce guest performances by @calebrmclaughl1 & @GatenM123 #ElsieFest #BroadwayStuds @Stranger_Things

I haven't watched the show.   They look adorable. 

And Liz Callaway is also added to Elsie Fest.  She has done a lot of work on Broadway, and was also the voice of Kiara in The Lion King II:  Simba's Pride, Princess Jasmine in Aladdin and the King of Thieves, and Anya/Anastasia in Anastasia.
ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocmmykr9as1uetdyxo1_500

An article about Elsie Fest 2016 in AXS.

AXS.com wrote:Labor Day entertainment: Darren Criss and Elsie Fest make Coney Island encore

New York’s outdoor music festival for show tunes, Elsie Fest, returns for its second year in a row on Labor Day, Monday Sept. 5, at historic Coney Island. The all-day entertainment extravaganza debuted last year along the Hudson River at Pier 97. This year, Elsie Fest attendees can spend the day soaking up the sun and the sand along the Boardwalk at Coney Island and catch the show which starts at 1 p.m. and runs until 10 p.m. in the Ford Amphitheatre. Festival tickets, including VIP tickets, premiere seating options and Meet and Greet packages are currently on sale.

Elsie Fest is the brainchild of Broadway and TV star Darren Criss (“Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” “Glee”), Jordan Roth, and Ricky Rollins who wanted to create an outlet for Broadway enthusiasts to gather and see some of their favorite artists from the stage and screen perform live in an all-day outdoor setting. Last year’s critically-acclaimed festival was a huge success. This year, Criss will be joined by Tituss Burgess (“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”), Megan Hilty (“Wicked,” “Smash”), Tony Award winners Lena Hall (“Hedwig and the Angry Inch”) and Jason Robert Brown (“The Bridges of Madison County”), Corey Cott (“Newsies”), indie band Rebel and a Basketcase (featuring Evan Rachel Wood).

Darren Criss is a proud University of Michigan theater grad and Tony-nominated fellow U of M alums Pasek and Paul (“A Christmas Story, the Musical”) will also perform, along with Julie James and Tony Award-winning special guest Cynthia Erivo (“The Color Purple”). Elsie Fest has also been known to turn out surprise guests. So, who knows who else might pop in to sing a song or two?

Broadway.com praised Darren Criss and last year’s festival calling the “Harry Potter” YouTube spoof star “clearly the next generation of stage star” and deemed Elsie Fest 2015 “easily the coolest Broadway event of the year.” That’s a pretty impressive assessment for a first-time launch.

The remarkable thing about Elsie Fest is that it takes a Broadway-style entertainment experience to a whole new level. It presents an outdoor concert festival vibe (which Criss previously dubbed Coachella for show tunes) in a kickin’ atmosphere with singalongs at Marie’s Beer Garden in between sets and of course, there will be food and drink galore.

Darren Criss alone is a dynamic, larger-than-life live performer who oozes passion for theater, show tunes and music in general. He is the only “Glee” cast member to have contributed original songs written specifically for the series one of which, “This Time,” earned him his first Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics. Put him together with the other huge names on this year’s Elsie Fest performer lineup and lucky attendees are in for an explosive, multi-faceted musical treat.

Elsie Fest 2016 is sponsored by iHeart Radio, LiveNation, Elvis Duran and the Morning Show, and Jujamcyn Theaters. Ticket prices range from $30 - $60 each (before fees) for Gallery Seating, $30-$85 each (before fees) for Promenade Seating and $85-$125 each (before fees) for Orchestra Seating. VIP, Premium Seating and Meet and Greet Packages are also available at varying prices. Consult the Elsie Fest website for more information.
August 28 2016

A nice quote from the article:
AXS.com wrote:

Darren Criss alone is a dynamic, larger-than-life live performer who oozes passion for theater, show tunes and music in general. He is the only “Glee” cast member to have contributed original songs written specifically for the series one of which, “This Time,” earned him his first Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics. Put him together with the other huge names on this year’s Elsie Fest performer lineup and lucky attendees are in for an explosive, multi-faceted musical treat.

- Labor Day entertainment: Darren Criss and Elsie Fest make Coney Island encore

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocmgznep8r1uetdyxo1_500

Link:  Tix at http://bitly.com/elsie2016

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocmgznep8r1uetdyxo3_500
Link:  Enter http://go.todaytix.com/DarrenCrissPopUp …

Also new Meet and Greet packages were put up on their website for Todrick Hall, Corey Cott, Megan Hilty, and Tituss Burgess.

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocj0dt79q61ubd9qxo1_1280

If someone has a tumblr or twitter, maybe you could let dailydarrennews know about the new Meet and Greet packages.

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total

39ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:24 am

Poppy wrote:Ok, so we got our answer! 

From dailydarrennews:

ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Tumblr_ocn9rkHqRk1uetdyxo1_500
Elsie Fest‏ Excited to announce guest performances by @calebrmclaughl1 & @GatenM123 #ElsieFest #BroadwayStuds @Stranger_Things

I haven't watched the show.   They look adorable. 

Aw, nice. I've seen a few episodes. The story hasn't really grabbed me, but all the kids seemed awesome.

40ElsieVIP - Elsie Fest 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Elsie Fest 2016 Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:14 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin wrote:
It's from a new Netflix show called Stranger Things.

Thanks Lin, btw, for the big clue.   Can you give me an idea (in a few words) of what the show is about?  I'm guessing, based on promo pics, aliens?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum