Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post about Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016.   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events"), please let me know.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, what a honor, that Darren will among the Broadway stars who will be performing at the Democratic National Convention tonight.

From dailydarrennews:

Playbill wrote:

Exclusive: Audra McDonald, Idina Menzel, Darren Criss and More Performing at DNC Tonight | Playbill 

A host of Broadway stars will perform the hit Broadway for Orlando single “What the World Needs Now” July 27 at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia.

Tony Award winners Audra McDonald, Idina Menzel, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Alice Ripley, Ben Vereen, Tyne Daly, and Emmy winner Debra Messing are among the Broadway stars who will perform “What the World Needs Now” July 27 at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, PA. History was made July 26 when Hillary Clinton was named the first woman to be nominated as a major party candidate for the President of the United States.

They are among nearly two-dozen stars who will unite for the performance that will take place between 8 PM and 9 PM EST.

Also slated to appear and perform are Kristin Bell, Darren Criss, Stephanie J. Block, Adrienne Warren, Len Cariou, Richard Kind, Tom Wopat, Wilson Cruz, Michael Longoria, Lena Hall, Rosie Perez, Ann Hampton Callaway, Liz Callaway, Nicholas Callaway Foster, Olga Merediz, Michelle Collins, Jon Viktor Corpuz, Sharon Gless, Roz Ryan, Mary Ann Hu, Anika Larsen, Margaret Stallings, Eve Plumb, Montego Glover, Michael Urie, Carmen Cusak, Darius de Haas, Melissa Errico, Janet Metz, as well as Broadway for Orlando creators Van Dean of Broadway Records, Seth Rudetsky, James Wesley, and their daughter, Juli Wesley.

-Playbill

Facebook: Millennials for Hillary San Francisco Bay Area wrote:

Millennials for Hillary San Francisco Area

GUYS! Darren Criss…YES, Blaine from GLEE! will be joining John Podesta at the San Francisco for45 Reception. Tix start at $45.

August 5th.
6:00-8:00pm.
Be there.

#‎HILLsquad‬ ‪#‎bringyourfriends‬ ‪#‎HERstory‬ ‪#‎imwithher

-Millennials for Hilary San Francisco Bay Area

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazljan1iQ1uetdyxo1_500
Judy Kurtz Darren Criss and Richard Kind belting out “What the World Needs Now” at #DemsInPhilly rehearsal…

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazk72d25n1uetdyxo1_500
via Elsie Fest’s Snapchat

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazy8voPma1uetdyxo1_500
@JustTeege Woah - @DarrenCriss is at #DemsInPhilly.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazq5b2pfo1uetdyxo1_500
christinepedi That cuddly @DarrenCriss. I could hug him 4ever… Like a mother hugs son of course.(ima go make him a PBJ) #broadwayfororlando

Darren is now using Snapchat.  thumbs up

fallenjunkie:
Video via Darren’s snapchat (darrencriss)

haha! :big grin
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazp0n9nSd1uetdyxo1_500
Welcome Darren on Snapchat! Username: darrencriss

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazoitpmKR1uetdyxo1_500
@ShanshanW26 Can’t believe I just saw @DarrenCriss on the floor. And he said “thank you” in Chinese! #DNCinPHL

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazp1inXY61s2rugmo1_500
iradelic:
Eat your heart out.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazphldKQ01uetdyxo1_500
@troi_PR Just saw @DarrenCriss at the #DNCinPHL and he called me CUTE!!

Cute and funny "rehearsal" videos of Darren and Brian Stokes Mitchell. 

Darren Criss Warming up at #DNC @bstokesmitchell
dailydarrennews

Darren Criss Getting high with @bstokesmitchell backstage at #DNC
dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Democratic National Convention.  July 27, 2016.

Aw, it was wonderful to see Darren at the Democratic National Convention tonight.  I really enjoyed watching most of the evening' s speeches.   

The performance of "What the World Needs Now" was beautiful and inspiring.   Loved it!  So many beautiful voices and souls singing their hearts out.  I loved seeing Seth Rudetsky there in the middle of the line-up, conducting.  Really truly heartwarming.

Great video posted by dailydarrennews (thank you!):

A slightly longer video posted by PBS, the camera pans down the line-up of singers, so we see Darren again clapping enthusiastically.  :happy face

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0334bn4h1uetdyxo1_500

link to video
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0ca4SN541uetdyxo1_500

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0857MgAd1uetdyxo1_500

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0d72t6JN1uetdyxo1_r1_500
Darren followed Rebel and a Basket Case, Skeery Jones, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Joe Biden and Tim Kaine on Twitter.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0exqM94q1uetdyxo1_r1_1280
[HQ] A host of Broadway stars performed the hit Broadway for Orlando single “What the World Needs Now” July 27 at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. | Playbill.com
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob08anLaLt1uetdyxo1_500
sethrudetsky: Watch us sing WhatThe WorldNeedsNow soon at www.DemConvention.com/live/ #Dnc2016
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob061qX3VD1uetdyxo1_1280
@LenaRockerHall: Had a great time performing at be DNC! #imwithher
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazzx5bs2U1uetdyxo1_500
via Debra Messing’s Snapchat
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob08mkyulG1uetdyxo1_500

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob08mkyulG1uetdyxo2_500

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob08mkyulG1uetdyxo3_500

haha!
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0brvMAVb1uetdyxo1_500
rockerrick: Secret Service
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob06bf5loN1uetdyxo1_500
Darren Criss #GoBlue #DNC2016

-

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Democratic National Convention, July 27, 2016.

From dailydarrennews:

Pics of Darren with fans at the DCN (July 27, 2016).

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0antYEjQ1uetdyxo1_500
james_t_521: Met one of my former “Glee club ” members.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob08d83ku21uetdyxo1_500

martythomaslovesyou: With @darrencriss at the #dnc what a great guy #imwithher

Not sure what this is about?
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob0ekhYGUo1uetdyxo1_500

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob068sCQJ31uetdyxo1_500
Democratic National Convention - July 27, 2016 | Source

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_oazy27sJ3T1uetdyxo1_500
@keb0422 Found @DarrenCriss walking around today…. Such a sweet guy!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Darren at the Democratic National Convention (July 27, 2016)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1i3a0b2m1qayexuo1_1280

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1i3a0b2m1qayexuo2_1280

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1i3a0b2m1qayexuo3_1280

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1i3a0b2m1qayexuo5_1280

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1i3a0b2m1qayexuo4_1280
endlesslyklaine:
[UHQ] Darren Criss attends the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia on July 27, 2016.
(via dailydarrennews)

ha!  Poor Darren is tuckered out.  I found watching the DNC was very emotional last night.  I was crying at many times throughout.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1dm8TsZJ1uetdyxo1_500
via Darren’s Snapchat (username: darrencriss)
(via dailydarrennews)

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob19utM3061uetdyxo1_500
@mara_gos_round @DarrenCriss thank you so much for taking this pic w/ me last night ! You are the best!!  Keep on being amazing!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

6ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty Darren at Democratic National Convention Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Aw, Dianna is at the DNC too.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1o58fqA91uetdyxo1_1280
Darren Criss and Dianna Agron at DNC | source
dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

A duet with Dianna would be nice. I think she has a lovely voice.

8ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty Democratic National Convention 2016 Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I agree; she has a very lovely voice.  And she is a lovely person too, with a good heart.  :happy face

Speaking of Dianna . .  .

Darren’s latest Snapchats including Dianna Agron (username: darrencriss)

dailydarrennews

This one made me laugh out loud.  Good one, Darren.

via Darren’s Snapchat (username: darrencriss)
dailydarrennews

But it wasn't all fun & games.  Here's Darren listening intently.
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1wq1Eq2R1uetdyxo1_500
Darren in the audience of DNC on July 28th, 2016 | source

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob282bomBx1uetdyxo1_250  ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob282bomBx1uetdyxo2_250

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob282bomBx1uetdyxo3_500
Via Darren’s snapchat - July 28, 2016
dailydarrennews

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob20fpEGzJ1uetdyxo1_500
Darren Criss The number of Ann Arbor folks just keeps addin up at #DNCinPHL . Here’s lookin at you, @genebsperling #GoBlue @umich
dailydarrennews

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1srs2fZ31uetdyxo1_1280
Lena Hall Just the best! @DarrenCriss #DNC #ImWithHer
dailydarrennews

One more clip via Darren’s Snapchat (username: darrencriss)

dailydarrennews

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob1p84tWjM1uetdyxo1_500

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

9ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty Democratic National Convention 2016 Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:20 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Ha!  This was cute.  I can see Darren doing this.  Nice catch by dailydarrennews. 

thehill.com wrote:

While celebs rehearsed on the convention stage for their song, “Glee” star Darren Criss asked another singer to take a photo as he ran to the middle of the stage and jumped in the air.
 - TheHill.com

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob2du4M9HK1uetdyxo1_500

Sweet comments by a fan.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob2e1vBAqX1uetdyxo1_500
eveturowpaul: And then this happened… @darrencriss it’s been so amazing to watch a fellow ‘09 grad’s stellar success and talent. Thanks for all your fantastic work and voice in the #gayrights movement. If you’re ever interested in becoming involved in #foodpolicy, hit me up!! #goodpeeps

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Awesome that Darren got to participate at the DNC! And nice that he ran into Dianna, they look lovely together. :love

I love when he remembers his social media accounts and posts funny/silly stuff like the videos with Brian Stokes Mitchell.  :laughing I'm surprised he joined Snapchat and even more surprised that he actually seems to be using it.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'm enjoying what he's posting.  They've been fun and funny.  I really enjoyed the one where he's lying on the bed with the gauge on empty, tuckered out Darren, who probably hasn't slept for 24  hours.  :amused   I also laughed out loud at the one with little cartoon Darren on stage waving at everyone at the DNC, with Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi on the screen.   :big grin

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Darren at the Democratic National Convention 2016

yellowdragoneyes:

Darren Criss at the 2016 DNC, Day 4 | July 28, 2016

dailydarrennews

13ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty Democratic National Convention Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob4ktzCvVu1r776u0o1_500
strangetinydoeeyed:
Wilson Cruz Just the coolest cat in town, @darrencriss, and I with BFF, @rdroybal at @nglcc #DemsInPhilly

From @DarrenArmy

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ob5fdklSkt1uetdyxo1_500
@HaleyFred  

"@Allison_Fred met my favorite person @DarrenCriss and they took this selfie for me."

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

14ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty "A Conversation with Darren Criss, '05" Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:56 am

I was fortunate enough to attend “A Conversation with Darren Criss, 05” at Darren’s high school alma mater, St. Ignatius College Preparatory, in San Francisco on October 19th. They announced that Darren had requested no recordings/photos be made; that he simply wanted to relax and enjoy chatting with his mentor, Peter Devine (the person that Darren gave a shout out to during the 2015 Tony Awards). Mr. Devine taught and had overseen over 100 productions at St. Ignatius and also taught A.C.T. classes.  If I recall correctly, I found it interesting that Darren had never actually taken a class from Mr. Devine at neither St. Ignatius nor A.C.T.  I guess he got to work with him through the productions he participated in?  They chatted about a range of topics:  high school, A.C.T./42nd Street Moon, college, StarKid, theatre, etc. Here are some of the conversation tidbits that stood out for me.  The quotes are not be verbatim, but as close as I can recall:

♥ The person doing the introductions mentioned how overwhelmed and unprepared they were by the response to just a single Facebook entry about the night’s event. All 700 tickets were sold within 24 hours of the announcement, and they had to figure out how to fill the ticket requests from so many different places.  lol. I guess they were unaware of the power of Daily Darren News’ eye for all events/things Darren, and Darren’s fandom. They know better now.  ha! :big grin

♥ Darren would give shout outs to people he recognized in the audience from time to time. Chris Lorentz’ parents/family were there. Peter Devine mentioned how he was hoping that Darren’s parents would be there and Darren said that they would probably “be along soon”. 

♥ He joked that he dressed to school code.

♥ Glee was mentioned as part of his introduction, with applause.  When the topic of StarKids came up later, Darren said, “I was thinking earlier during the introduction, if you wanted a really big reaction, you should have mentioned StarKids.” *loud cheering* Darren looked so proud of himself after that reaction. 

♥Peter Devine asked Darren how it felt to be performing on the stage the he used to watch productions on in in the past.  Darren reminisced on how he used to buy cheap student tickets way up in the balcony, then watch as the orchestra seats filled in. Just before the show was to start, he would make his way down to one of the empty orchestra seats. He also mentioned how “sold out” is almost never actually sold out. lol.

♥ Peter Devine:  “I was amazed when I saw you totally transform into Hedwig so completely that I forgot it was you.  How do you do that?”

♥ Darren: “I could never know how it felt to be gay and having to come out to your friends and family, but I’ve felt unsure, insecure, and scared, and I can use that to convey the character’s emotional journey.”  He then went on to explain how that is true for tapping into any kind of character.

♥ Peter Devine shared portions of College Letters of Recommendation he did for both Chuck and Darren that he found in his computer files while getting ready for the night's conversation. He also mentioned how the Criss boys are musically inclined, and Darren mentioned again how his mom took up the cello in her forties, that his Dad can hold a tune, and bless his parents for supporting their children’s interests so wholeheartedly.

Peter’s recommendation for Chuck noted that he was an athlete and the work he did with the elderly. Darren added that Chuck was a very good pole vaulter, and smiled as he mentioned that one of the reasons Chuck took it up was because he thought it was funny. He also shared the story of how Chuck decided to take up the banjo during his senior year of college, then became skilled enough that he joined “The Freelance Whales” as a banjo player.  Darren said that he wished Chuck was there to hear all of the things in Peter’s letter, and Peter said he would send/give him a copy.

Darren’s hilarious imitation of Chuck and how he’s easy going and willing to try different things:  “This is Chuck:  ' . . . . . . Uh, Okay!' ”  :laughing

Peter then shared a bit of his College Letter of Recommendation for Darren.  He said that he wrote it on December 31st after panicking upon finding an email request from Darren dated December 30th. Darren laughed at that and added that it “probably was due by January 1st”.  lol. Darren said “bless you for spending your New Year’s Eve writing a letter of recommendation for me.”

The part of the letter that stood out for me was how Peter explained that Darren “doesn’t just act, he becomes the characters he plays.” We’ve always said this about Darren—how he is able to make Blaine seem so young, naïve, etc. And how he disappears as Hedwig. Peter had mentioned it about Hedwig earlier in the chat too, and he apparently saw it in Darren even at a young age through his St. Ignatius and A.C.T productions, and mentioned it in his letter of recommendation. Loved that.

They chatted a bit about the University of Michigan, and Darren mentioned how the college is huge (approx. 25,000 students) but that the theatre department was small—his class was made up of 16 students).  But being at a large university also allowed him to take courses in other areas of interest. Darren mentioned how he had “horrible grades” and that luckily the University of Michigan also had an audition to their application process, because he would never have gotten in otherwise.  Peter then added proudly, “But you got in on the first round of selection!”  :amused

♥ Darren mentioned several times how he was not a very good student.  Peter Devine added that Darren “dedicated his time and energy to what he was passionate about which was theatre and music.” He was in the chorus, the orchestra, the improv group, the drama club, etc. Darren talked about how he has trouble with time parameters. His need for perfection/preciseness was again emphasized when he said that he would “rather get a “D” for turning in a late paper that I’m proud of than get an “A” for a paper/project that I’m not fully committed to.”

♥ Peter asked which St. Ignatius teachers made an impression on him.  Darren mentioned several that were there that night. He then said a teacher that made a huge impact on him was a man that he took a course in Commedia dell’arte (sp?) which included physical acting, which he loved. The teacher apparently was a bit “different”, and Darren wasn’t sure of the circumstances that surrounded his leaving, but that teacher and class made such an impression on Darren that it compelled him to take a year off (wasn’t it a semester? He said year though) to study it in Italy.  I find that interesting, because Darren’s physicality as Hedwig (and even as Blaine) is just stunning to behold.

When asked about his old haunts around the school, Darren mentioned one room (I forget what it was called) but it was used by the students who did the school paper and it was a fun place to go and jam because he remembers no teachers were ever around there to supervise.  He laughed at that.  (Sounds sort of like Dalton,no?)

He also recalled that the band area was the pick-up point for students to meet their parents. There were no cell phones then, so you had to wait for your parents to pick you up; or if you were really lucky, perhaps you had a friend that had a car, and thus some extra freedom.  He remembered the first students to get cell phones and thinking, “How cool. You can call your parents any time you want?”  The students in the audience laughed at his memories, and he said, “Current students have no idea what we went through, blast you all!” Everyone cracked up at that.

♥ Darren to the students in the audience: “High School is insane. My highest regards to you all.  People don’t realize that not only do you have a full day of school, which your body and brain are exhausted by the end of the day, but then you are required to participate in extra-curricular stuff otherwise you’re not worth anything.  I just want you all to know that you will get through all of it.  It is not the only definition of your true worth.”

♥ “Do what you love and surround yourself with people also passionate about the same thing. No matter if it’s the arts, literature, science,  . . . ”

♥ “When you graduate from college, move to where your friends are.  You’re still going to be unemployed and scraping by, but at least you’re with your friends as you do so.”

♥ “It doesn’t matter where you go, the important thing is to make the most of the opportunities that emerge and enjoy everything that your location has to offer.”

♥ “Eastwick” allowed him to get his SAG card, and then he was “unemployed for 2 years”.

♥ Darren shared how he was happy to have had his San Francisco theatre experience. Unlike L.A. or NYC, not everyone in his classes was aspiring to get into movies, tv, theatre and so it was something special. He explained how he’s always known what he wanted as far as his career goals, and how that was unique. So when he sees and talks with former classmates and finds out what they’re doing now it’s often surprising. He is reminded how people travel different paths to their careers.

Darren to a classmate now in the same industry:  “Oh, you weren’t into acting in high school.”
Classmate:  “Yes, that was after high school when . . .”

Darren to another classmate:  “You didn’t really show an interest in medicine/science . . . “
Classmate:  “Yes, because I was only 14 then . . . “
lol. 

♥ Darren shared how growing up within the San Francisco theatre culture, the theatre guys would watch over him, “the cute baby-faced youngster”.  Because of those experiences, he now feels an affinity for those youngsters he works with/meets in the field now.  It made me smile to think about how he got the “Stranger Things” boys (Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin) to perform at Elsie Fest and how much fun they all seemed to have had. And also how Darren seems to really enjoy working with/encouraging young performers through workshops or just words of encouragement to fans he meets.

♥ He talked about how everyone loves San Francisco when you mention you’re from there. He told the students that they should take full advantage of the wealth of culture and such that their city has to offer. And apparently San Franciscans do not appreciate people casually shortening their city's name:
   Darren impersonating a person he meets:  “Oh, you’re from San Fran!”
   Darren:  “Yes, San Francisco.”
   *appreciative laughing and applause from the audience*

♥ Two students from this year’s production of Neil Simon’s “Rumors” came up and explained that Darren had played one of the lead roles (Ken) in an earlier production during his high school years.  They presented Darren with a St. Ignatius honor that was a star (sorry I can’t recall the exact name of the award) for his great work and inspiration.  Darren looked truly touched and thrilled to receive it.  He also said “I wanna see it!” when he heard about the production.  Peter Devine explained that Darren would be doing Hedwig, but Darren said, “There’s always a way.”

♥ Peter Devine ended the chat with James Lipton’s infamous question from “Inside the Actor’s Studio”:
Peter: What would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? (I think he purposely left out the "if heaven exists" start of the original James Lipton question. lol.)
Darren (with a smile and in a drawn out, “Well done!” kind of voice: “Duuuude!”
Ha! That was brilliant, and so Darren!

It was such a wonderful event and truly a pleasure to just sit and listen to Darren speak at length about things. I’m very thankful to have been there.

A very blurry pic of Mr. Peter Devine seated and awaiting Darren's (late) arrival:
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 QKfkWqH

ETA this OT bit:  
Darren apparently took public transportation to the area, and had a sub sandwich from Sub Center in West Portal, which is along the route.  My husband and I had actually thought about going there on our way to St. Ignatius, but decided to take a different route at the last minute after someone recommended to avoid the after-work commuting crowd. 

[/loooong post] :happy face

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, Lilikoiluv, amazing post!   bow to you I can't believe your memory!  Such remarkable detail.  We so appreciate taking the time to post with so much attention to detail!  :bravo Thank you!  :thank you I almost feel as if I was there too (almost! :amused ). 

I didn't know that Peter Devine also taught A.C.T. classes! 

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ The person doing the introductions mentioned how overwhelmed and unprepared they were by the response to just a single Facebook entry about the night’s event. All 700 tickets were sold within 24 hours of the announcement, and they had to figure out how to fill the ticket requests from so many different places.  lol. I guess they were unaware of the power of Daily Darren News’ eye for all events/things Darren, and Darren’s fandom. They know better now.  ha! ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 2780594425

The power of Daily Darren News and our love of Darren!   Did Darren's parents make it to the event?    So nice that Chris Lorentz' parents and family were there! 

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Glee was mentioned as part of his introduction, with applause.  When the topic of StarKids came up later, Darren said, “I was thinking earlier during the introduction, if you wanted a really big reaction, you should have mentioned StarKids.” *loud cheering* Darren looked so proud of himself after that reaction.

Awww!  You were part of that cheering section, eh Lilikoiluv?!

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Peter Devine:  “I was amazed when I saw you totally transform into Hedwig so completely that I forgot it was you.  How do you do that?”

I love that he said that!

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Darren: “I could never know how it felt to be gay and having to come out to your friends and family, but I’ve felt unsure, insecure, and scared, and I can use that to convey the character’s emotional journey.”  He then went on to explain how that is true for tapping into any kind of character.

I really like that he said this, noting that he was not in a position to feel the same feelings (as some of the characters he plays), but also noting that he taps into his own experiences to convey emotion.  I keep remembering the comments of one person who shared how angry she was that had to come out to so many people, how she was so intensely angry and so exhausted of being so angry.   She had seen other actors who played Hedwig on Broadway, but she said that she really felt a connection with how Darren played Hedwig, because of how his Hedwig was so angry.   There were several people who said this, I remember.  Well said, Darren!   Thanks so much for sharing this, Lilikoiluv.  I love to hear him talk about acting.

Lilikoiluv wrote:Peter’s recommendation for Chuck noted that he was an athlete and the work he did with the elderly. Darren added that Chuck was a very good pole vaulter, and smiled as he mentioned that one of the reasons Chuck took it up was because he thought it was funny. He also shared the story of how Chuck decided to take up the banjo during his senior year of college, then became skilled enough that he joined “The Freelance Whales” as a banjo player.  Darren said that he wished Chuck was there to hear all of the things in Peter’s letter, and Peter said he would send/give him a copy.

Darren’s hilarious imitation of Chuck and how he’s easy going and willing to try different things:  “This is Chuck:  ' . . . . . . Uh, Okay!' ”  ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 1021284439

Both Criss brothers have that affinity to care about others and to devote time to good causes.  His parents did a remarkable job in how they raised both their sons, not just impressing upon them the value of kindness and being charitable, but also supporting their kids' pursuit of the arts.  Also interesting to note that both brothers are athletic (Darren had mentioned before that he played soccer when he was young and he always has seemed to me to be very physically graceful).  ha!  So Chuck is quirky too.  He took up pole-vaulting because he thought it was funny.  :amused

Lilikoiluv wrote:Peter then shared a bit of his College Letter of Recommendation for Darren.  He said that he wrote it on December 31st after panicking upon finding an email request from Darren dated December 30th. Darren laughed at that and added that it “probably was due by January 1st”.  lol. Darren said “bless you for spending your New Year’s Eve writing a letter of recommendation for me.”

haha!  This is funny!   :laughing

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Peter asked which St. Ignatius teachers made an impression on him.  Darren mentioned several that were there that night. He then said a teacher that made a huge impact on him was a man that he took a course in Commedia dell’arte (sp?) which included physical acting, which he loved. The teacher apparently was a bit “different”, and Darren wasn’t sure of the circumstances that surrounded his leaving, but that teacher and class made such an impression on Darren that it compelled him to take a year off (wasn’t it a semester? He said year though) to study it in Italy.  I find that interesting, because Darren’s physicality as Hedwig (and even as Blaine) is just stunning to behold.

I agree with you Lilikoiluv, about how Darren's physicality as Hedwig and Tommy (yes and Blaine too) is remarkable.    The transitions between Tommy and Hedwig when those 2 characters are having a conversation was a sight to behold, in terms of how he held himself so differently ( as well as how he transformed his voice and how he formed his facial expressions, to match the 2 different characters).   That was a solid decision on Darren's part to participate in the Commedia dell' arte. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:When asked about his old haunts around the school, Darren mentioned one room (I forget what it was called) but it was used by the students who did the school paper and it was a fun place to go and jam because he remembers no teachers were ever around there to supervise.  He laughed at that.  (Sounds sort of like Dalton,no?)

Yes, it does!  Did it look at all like Dalton, Lilikoiluv? 

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Darren to the students in the audience: “High School is insane. My highest regards to you all.  People don’t realize that not only do you have a full day of school, which your body and brain are exhausted by the end of the day, but then you are required to participate in extra-curricular stuff otherwise you’re not worth anything.  I just want you all to know that you will get through all of it.  It is not the only definition of your true worth.”

Aw, this is truly so sweet.   Now, I understand the comments of others who attended this event. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:
♥ “Do what you love and surround yourself with people also passionate about the same thing. No matter if it’s the arts, literature, science,  . . . ”

♥ “When you graduate from college, move to where your friends are.  You’re still going to be unemployed and scraping by, but at least you’re with your friends as you do so.”

♥ “It doesn’t matter where you go, the important thing is to make the most of the opportunities that emerge and enjoy everything that your location has to offer.”

I love his advice! 

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Darren shared how growing up within the San Francisco theatre culture, the theatre guys would watch over him, “the cute baby-faced youngster”.  Because of those experiences, he now feels an affinity for those youngsters he works with/meets in the field now.  It made me smile to think about how he got the “Stranger Things” boys (Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin) to perform at Elsie Fest and how much fun they all seemed to have had. And also how Darren seems to really enjoy working with/encouraging young performers through workshops or just words of encouragement to fans he meets.

I love this. Pay it forward.  Mentoring is so important.  I agree, Lilikoiluv, Darren is so great in terms of how well he works with young people who are interested in acting (all those theater camps/junior theater events).

How touching that Darren was honored by St. Ignatius.  :cry

Lilikoiluv wrote:♥ Peter Devine ended the chat with James Lipton’s infamous question from “Inside the Actor’s Studio”:
Peter: What would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? (I think he purposely left out the "if heaven exists" start of the original James Lipton question. lol.)
Darren (with a smile and in a drawn out, “Well done!” kind of voice: “Duuuude!”
Ha! That was brilliant, and so Darren!

haha!  Sounds like something that would be said to Darren.  :happy face

Lilikoiluv wrote:It was such a wonderful event and truly a pleasure to just sit and listen to Darren speak at length about things. I’m very thankful to have been there.

A very blurry pic of Mr. Peter Devine seated and awaiting Darren's (late) arrival:

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 QKfkWqH

I'm so glad that you were able to attend this event, Lilikoiluv, during your trip to SF!    It sounds like it was a truly special event!   Thank you sooooo much, again, for taking so much time to describe fully what you heard during the conversation between Darren and Mr. Devine.   Your details are so vivid; it's the next best thing to being there ourselves! 

P.S.  Oh boy, wow, so close to running into Darren in a sub shop.  He probably was in and out if that sub shop, though (considering he was a little late to the St. Ignatius event  :amused ).  

Thank you again, Lilikoiluv!  We so appreciate it!  :hug

P.S. Please do not feel obligated to reply to my comments, Lilikoiluv.  I just wanted to share my thoughts and express my thanks to you!

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

16ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty St. Ignatius Interview, October 19, 2016 Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I thought I would copy my previous post (that was in the "Fan Experiences During 2016" thread) that contained comments from others who attended the St. Ignatius event  to place in this thread.  :happy face

From DarrenCrissArmy:

Cute comments from a teacher.  StarKid fan, I presume.  :amused  Am eager to hear what advice Darren gave.  
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofc5n53zmk1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost j.o.o.l.i.a.b_ 

You guys, I met Harry Freaking Potter. I was shaking and a bit embarrassed but ITS HARRY FREAKING POTTER. #aka #darrencriss #avpm #myschoolisincredible #thanksfortakingapicwithme #eventhoyoowashellatiredandtrynaleave #usedmyteacherprivilegestomeethim #honestlydyingabit

Seriously tho this dude gave some killer advice tonight at my school of which I’m thankful many of my students got to hear. Also, I’m literally a loser for freaking out when he called himself Harry Freaking Potter but like bruh #blessedaf http://ift.tt/2dC5HSF

This is sweet.  She didn't even know who Darren is, but was impressed with his kindness.

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Darren showing his support for ACT.  :happy face
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofopvi0fkw1uetdyxo1_1280
@RustyRueff Opening night @ACTSanFrancisco of Tom Stoppard’s Hard Problem. @CEPinSF welcoming us. @DarrenCriss also here tonight

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

18ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Empty St. Ignatius Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:49 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Students from St. Ignatius did an interview with Darren.  Some very sweet things that Darren says, revealing how deeply he believes in being kind to others and the importance of being connected with others.

SITV talks with St. Ignatius College Prep alum Darren Criss ‘05 to talk about his high school days at SI and the values he has carried with him throughout his career.
October 28 2016
via dailydarrennews

I can't quite make out what he says though, about  a  Jesuit teaching that he tries to subscribe to, is being a person who " ____ to others."  "Looking out for others"?

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

In celebration of Halloween and Darren's awesomeness:

From dailydarrennews:

Wehoville wrote:
WeHo’s Halloween Carnaval: All You Need to Know to Enjoy It

This year’s Carnaval is a celebration of the disco era and will feature DJs at several stations along Santa Monica Boulevard. The DJ’s are listed on Page 2 below. West Hollywood Mayor Lauren Meister and City Council members will host a brief program at 9 p.m. [on October 31st] at the San Vicente stage located at the intersection of Santa Monica and San Vicente boulevards to honor “Glee” star Darren Criss as King of Carnaval.

Best known for his role as Blaine Anderson on the hit television series Glee, Criss is currently starring as Hedwig in the national tour of the hit Broadway musical, ” Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” which opens at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood on Nov. 1.

Criss began his career as one of the founding members of the Chicago-based musical theater company StarKid Productions, where he played the lead role of Harry Potter in “A Very Potter Musical.”

He has also starred in the Broadway production of “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” has had recurring roles on television’sAmerican Horror Story, “” and made his feature film debut in the comedy”Girl Most Likely.”

Carnaval officially takes place from 6 to 11 p.m. Monday on Santa Monica Boulevard between La Cienega and Doheny. But unofficially it will launch Friday with private parties and bar events throughout WeHo, with some people celebrating through Sunday night before they hit Santa Monica Boulevard on Monday
October 28 2016

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofy4ghrndZ1uetdyxo1_500

Ok, this is so crazy and hilarious.  I love it!   Grand idea Darren and Mia!  laugh until you cry :laughing Razz giggle :bravo

Darren dressed up as Elle or Eleven from Stranger Things, and Mia as Barb (poor, poor Barb)!   There needs to be a Starkid spoof of Stranger Things, where Darren is Eleven!  Is anyone watching ST by the way?  I like it, mostly because I love the dynamics between the kids.

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofy44h3c7O1uetdyxo1_1280
CityofWestHollywood Our newly-crowned #WeHoHalloween King @darrencriss goes to Eleven
dailydarrennews

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofy43xBocG1qeegj9o1_1280

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofy43xBocG1qeegj9o2_1280
fallenjunkie:
Darren after being crowned WeHoHalloween King via Mia’s Snapchat (October 31, 2016)
dailydarrennews

haha!   applause thumbs up
ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofy66mW09Z1uetdyxo1_500
wehocarnaval King of Carnaval 2016 Darren Criss! #honorarymayor  @darrencriss
dailydarrennews

I like the little touches, like the blood dripping from her nose and the blood on her dress. :amused

From DarrenCrissArmy:

Look at the details! 

ImWithHer - Darren's Miscellaneous Projects and Events for 2016 Tumblr_ofy30jL7SH1ubd9qxo1_1280

Darren and Mia’s costumes …spot on!! Eleven & Barb @strangerthingstv #WEHOhalloween #HappyHalloween http://ift.tt/2e7BeJm
DarrenCrissArmy

#WehoCarnaval’s King!
via mia.elan Snapchat, 10/31/2016
#WEHOhalloween
via DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Let's see if i can post these two dailydarrennews videos.

fallenjunkie:
Darren and Mia via Mia’s Snapchat (October 31, 2016)
via dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum