Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Another article from the Holllywood Reporter (they also wrote this review of Darren at the Pantages Theatre:  'Hedwig and the Angry Inch': Theater Review).   Some nice quotes in the article from those who attended, about Darren as a person and his performance.

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Darren Criss Brings 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' to L.A. for Opening Night at Pantages Theatre

11/3/2016 
By Maureen Lee Lenker

"Welcome to the Pantages Theatre, formerly the Homo-tages, then the Metro-tages, now the Pantages," said Criss as he kicked off the show's national touring production.

From Hedwig's welcoming words to the hot pink carpet, the opening night of Hedwig and the Angry Inch was a unique affair, with celebrity fans John Stamos, Demi Moore, Max Landis, Margaret Cho, Ross Mathews, Mae Whitman and Vincent Rodriguez III on hand to herald the musical's arrival in L.A. Its opening night took place at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood.

There was a palpable buzz of excitement in the air with many guests, including Parenthood's Whitman, calling the show one of their favorites.

"It's my all-time favorite musical," Cho told The Hollywood Reporter. "I have seen it probably about eighty times all over the world. I actually played Hedwig with [John Cameron Mitchell] at Rockwood in New York."

Hollywood Today Live host Mathews couldn't wait to get inside and find his seat, saying "I know that [Darren Criss] grabs somebody in the front row and makes out with them, so I'm really excited to check my seat to see where I'm sitting. Fingers crossed."

Much of the crowd spoke of their excitement to see Criss, who is known for his breakout performance on Fox’s Glee, take the title role. Riker Lynch, who appeared on Glee as a Warbler alongside Criss, reminisced about his experiences working with the headliner, saying, "Darren is one of the most fun people to work with. When I first got on Glee, I learned a lot about music and writing and how a song structure works from him."

Others reflected on what makes Criss such a unique talent and bright light of the stage. "Darren just has this incredible magnetism that I think stems from him being a very clever guy," said writer/producer Max Landis. "He has this je ne sais quoi, where he can pull funny and interesting out of a hat instantaneously ... and make lines said one hundred times by a hundred actors feel new and spontaneous."

Whitman expressed a similar admiration for Criss' talents. "He is so bright and lively and vivacious," she told THR. "He's really able to bring everyone into his circle of light, and everyone walks away from seeing him perform radiating energy."

Moschino creative director Jeremy Scott was on hand to support his friend and Hedwig costume designer Arianne Phillips, who also designed the costumes for the original 2001 film of the same name. Scott praised Phillips' use of a "subversive look," saying that he loved how Hedwig is "drag, but with a rock’n’roll hard edge."

The musical is a 90-minute, uninterrupted rock concert, with Hedwig telling her story of how she came to perform for the audience that night (a botched sex change operation leaving her with an "angry inch" being part of the journey). It reflects on acceptance and self-love wrapped up in a rock’n’roll package of wigs, glitter, high-heeled boots and rock music.

Choreographer Spencer Liff, who is now prepping his seventh Hedwig for Criss' exit following the show's L.A. run, told THR his work on the show opened new musical avenues for him. "I'm a huge musical theater lover, so I actually wasn’t a big rock music fan, and I discovered amazing people like David Bowie and Iggy Pop through research for Hedwig," he said.

Liff, who has since also choreographed Deaf West's Broadway production of Spring Awakening, said he hopes the rock sound will bring new audiences to musicals. "You get to introduce musical theater to a whole new generation," he noted. "People that might not go see Hello, Dolly! are going to come and see Hedwig and Spring Awakening. Seeing some teenagers walking into the theater for the first time is a really cool part of it."

Many guests remarked upon the importance and resonance of this show’s opening in the week leading up to election night. Mason Alexander Park, the stand-by for the role of Hedwig, said, "The idea that we all just need to embrace the love within ourselves and what we're able to share with other people is very important and relevant, especially in such an oddly hate-filled, scary time."

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s Vincent Rodriguez III expressed similar sentiments, saying, "We're dealing with the normalization of elements of human beings that have been true for so long, but we’re now rediscovering it as if it’s never existed. Hedwig is one of those shows where a lot of those things that seem new right now were already engrained. ... We need to remember that we’re all people and we’re all living in the same time together, and we should just love more and accept more."

Hedwig and the Angry Inch runs through Nov. 27 at the Hollywood Pantages Theatre.

There were some very nice quotes, from Riker Lynch (a former Warbler) and Mae Whitman.  I really like this quote from Max Landis in particular:

Max Landis wrote:Others reflected on what makes Criss such a unique talent and bright light of the stage. "Darren just has this incredible magnetism that I think stems from him being a very clever guy," said writer/producer Max Landis. "He has this je ne sais quoi, where he can pull funny and interesting out of a hat instantaneously ... and make lines said one hundred times by a hundred actors feel new and spontaneous."

Note that Max Landis had tweeted this after Opening Night at the Hollywood Pantages:

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og76ffTTtm1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost savvy_logic

#hedwigonbway #darrencriss were effervescent! You and #lenarockerhall we’re inspiring this afternoon. Completely entrancing and the epitome of entertainers ! I love you! Can’t wait to see it again  http://ift.tt/2fphaXy
via DarrenCrissArmy

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og7jrtL3Hc1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost georgeloomis

Fun hanging with u #darrencriss and incredible work tonight!!  You are the coolest #nofx http://ift.tt/2eB8Enk
via DarrenCrissArmy

This sounds like a friend of Darren.
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og7cz33BKE1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost jbkwolverine

We saw this Wolverine do an unbelievable job today as Hedwig! So so proud of my pal and all he’s accomplished. #hedwig #hedwigandtheangryinch #goblue #yougoboy #herocksdemheels #darrencriss http://ift.tt/2f5WvHt
via DarrenCrissArmy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Some tweets (regarding the Friday November 4 and Saturday November 5 performances):

Note:  Graham Skipper is an actor (Almost Human, and The Mind's Eye), writer and producer. 

Note:  Michael Rosenbaum is an actor (Impastor, Smallville).

From dailydarrennews, here is the pic with Michael Rosenbaum's tweet:
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og89js8IPe1uetdyxo1_500

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og89js8IPe1uetdyxo2_500

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total

So many stellar reviews! I am just beside myself with happiness for Darren and the rest of the cast and crew!  I like that several of the reviews also praised Arianne Phillips, Mike Potter, the set designer, etc. 

I hope this leads to some wonderful opportunities for Darren.  The happiness, satisfaction, and appreciation Darren exudes at the cutrain call is such a beautiful sight. I hope he gets to originate and workshop a role toward a Broadway run. A straight darmatic play would be fantastic. Darren would relish the challenge and camaraderie of the entire process. Then he could be nominated for and win a Tony award. But I digress. lol

FYI, Sara Rue worked on "Eastwick" with Darren.  I've always thought that they were friends prior to that too, like at college, but I may be mistaken.  

I'm glad that Chris Mann went to see Darren. He writes his own music as well and was one fo the original Warblers!  
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og4e6dQiaW1uetdyxo1_500

@IamChrisMann: So blown away by my old #Warbler friend, @darrencriss for an incredible performance @hedwigonbway! Bravo! #hedwig #glee #darrencriss

Remember this pic?
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_lb5elyWbCR1qezi8ro1_500

That's Chris on the right in the front row.

Poppy wrote:I saw Darren in Hedwig tonight (Thursday).  I think I need to gather my thoughts, before I write my review about Hedwig.
I know exactly how your feel, Poppy. Take your time. I look forward to your thoughts and impressions of the show, Darren, Lena, the huge venue, and how things compare to your Belasco experience!  Thank you also for your kind words.  I'm thankful and impressed that you took the time to wade through my flaily rambling and typos (soo many typos!). 

Poppy wrote:I can share a few things that are easy for me to talk about.   I chatted with this nice lady sitting in front of me. She is a big Hedwig fan, having seen NPH, Andrew Rannells, John, and Darren (twice!) on Broadway.  I could tell she was in awe of John.  She said Neil felt the most ferocious, which impressed her.  She said before she saw Darren she had her doubts, because he seemed too young for the part.  But after she saw him, she felt he was terrific (she saw him twice on Broadwy).   She said he captured Hedwig's pain.  So I, being the nosy person that I am, asked beside John, who stood out for her.  I asked her if it was Neil, since she did seem very taken with his peformance.  She hesitated and like the nice person she is, she said every single Hedwig she saw brought something different and interesting to the show.  She was thinking, and then said while she was impressed with how ferocious Neil's Hedwig is, she was impressed with how she felt Darren really understood the character and what Hedwig was feeling.  And then she took a breath and sighed (literally), and exclaimed with admiration, how Darren's transformation back and forth between Tommy and Hedwig was seamless and effortless in the scene where Hedwig and Tommy are having the conversation near the last 1/3 of the show.   I can tell by her tone of her voice, how moved she was that Darren portrayed the pivotal scene in such an amazing, emotional way.   It was really great talking to someone who was such a big Hedwig fan. 
What a great conversation you had! It warms my heart that she, who has seen several different Hedwigs, thinks so highly of the emotional depth of Darren's Hedwig that she went to see it again in LA.  

I'm happy that you heard those men praising Darren while awaiting your car too.   8)   The reviews and tweets have been so effusive in their admiration of Darren's performance and talent.  I cannot express just how thrilled and happy I am for him!

Poppy wrote:So the audience was interesting.  Tonight was an evening show.  The last time I saw Darren in Hedwig was on Broadway, during a matinee.  And I have read that the energy of a matinee is much less than that of the evening shows, and I would agree with that, but only in some ways.  This crowd was louder than the Broadway matinee I saw, in terms of applause and hooting with appreciation.  But I had a feeling that this audience, even though more middle-aged, compared to the more elderly folks at the Broadway matinee I saw, knew less about the show they were seeing than the Broadway audience I was with.  Only one person shouted out when Hedwig asked about her hair.  ( I shouted something out to help out since there was only one shout-out, but Hedwig made a joke about moving on, or something.  Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 3295213406 My husband was laughing at me.)
I agree with you that these west coast audiences know less about the show than the Broadway ones. There was an interesting comment in one of the articles that mentioned the fact that HatAI was part of the Pantages season along with Hamilton.  So if people wanted a crack at getting Hamilton tickets, they purchased the season package. So that may be why some the these people are perhaps going into Hedwig blind.  I would hope people would learn about the show they're seing before they go though. I guess Hedwig has such a history in NYC, many people (except maybe the tourists) had at least a basic knowledge of the show. 

I've also been wondering about the new entrance at the beginning of the show, and the tone that it sets.  To me, the Broadway entrance where Hedwig descends from the rafters and bursts out of the covering jumpsuit (?) and headpiece sets such a strong tone for the show.  The new one is a bit more comical, and perhaps sets a lighter tone at the get go.  Both lead into the powerful "Tear Me Down", but with a different tone.  I dunno. 

And twinsies again, Poppy!  I was the only person to yell out a description for Hedwig's hair at my performance.  I was a bit surprised because there were several fans that had been to multiple shows in the first two center orchestra rows and I would have thought they would have been ready to feed Hedwig some great comments to work with. It was embarrassing, but I tried to help her out.  lol 

Poppy wrote:I couldn't see who was kissed, but it appears that whoever it was left.   Hedwig remarked on it during the show.  I have never heard of this happening before.  It was shocking to me, and really unfortunate.  And again, I am so impressed with how Darren just ran with it, and made a joke to the person who was sitting next to the person who left, about how glad she/he is still there.  And at curtain call, being the sweet person he is, Darren looked at the person (persons) who were sitting next to the person(s) who left and again thanked them.  It was very sweet and genuine.
Such an unfortunate and wasted moment. Darren commenting to the couple on the side of those empty seats was very gracious of him.  Class act--especially the fact that he takes the time to appreciate and thank those people that Hedwig interacted with throughout the show.   
Poppy wrote:
And sadly, I had some not-so-desirable seat partners.  My husband and I were sitting in the aisle seats (where Yitzhak walks at the end).   There was a couple who came a good 10-15 minutes after the show started, and the poor usher was going up and down the aisle with a flashlight, shining on the row numbers in one area for what felt like a good minute.   To my  horror, they figured out it was my row that the couple was sitting in, so everyone had to stand to let the couple in, who had the middle seats.    Then later, the man who came late, stood up and needed to leave (to go the restroom?) during the time that Hedwig and Tommy are having THE conversation!  He returned to be seated again with the usheer, and had to walk through our row (hubbie and I are at the end of the row), literally a few seconds just before the part where Tommy rejects Hedwig!  I was sooooo disappointed, I felt crushed that that scene was ruined for me.   I'm still trying to move on, from my disappointment. 

I've been to a good number of shows, at the Ahmanson and Mark Taper in Los Angeles, and a few at the Pantages.   The Ahmanson has a strict policy of not allowing people who arrive after the show has started, to enter the theater, because of the distraction (I know this because my friend was not allowed to enter the theater when she arrived 10 minutes late).   This wasn't the case with the Pantages.   And I guess because most of the shows I've seen have intermissions, I have never (that I can remember) encountered the problem of people interrupting my viewing of the show, due to them needing to leave to use the restroom during the show.  People arriving late of course do not have time to use the restroom before the show starts, and he was elderly, so I am not faulting him for needing to go.  But he changed my experience for tonight. 

At curtain call, the couple to my right decided to leave, so we had to focus on moving out of the way for them, right when I was trying to focus on Darren's bright face looking so happy at curtain call, which was unfortunate as well.  
Oh Poppy, I'm so sorry to hear that you were taken out of the story at such inconvenient and pivotal!!!! moments!  Yikes.  You have every right to feel disappointed. To have your focus to abruptly interrupted is a horrible thing. sad face  I guess it can happen with a show that does not having an intermission, so I guess the ushers tried to choose a time that was least distracting.  But you would think that the couple would have made sure to come earlier, especially to get everything done before the show starts.  And then to have people trying to get through to leave at the curtain call.  mad 
 Well, at least you'll have another show that will hopefully dispel all of those disappointing memories with beautiful ones of those moments.
Poppy wrote:Don't get me wrong, I loved the show tonight.   But I'm still feeling the sting of disappointment, and I need to gather my thoughts more on differences I noticed in Darren's performance tonight from the Broadway show I saw, but I can say this right now.  Darren has only gotten stronger, both in singing, his song performances, and his acting.  

Throughout the night, I was thinking to myself:  "Oh my god.  He is truly so wonderful at this." 
You have every right to feel disappointed and I'm so sorry to hear that hapened. On the other hand, I'm so thrilled that you noticed that Darren has developed so nicely in all those areas!  I cannot wait to hear more about your observations and insights.  :happy face 

Poppy wrote:Just so I don't finish on a downer note (I'm so sorry for venting), my husband and I didn't discuss the show much on the way home.  He was tired, tough week at work,   So I held back, and didn't ask him 101 questions, like I normally would.  I simply asked him what he thought of the show, and how did he think Darren did, reminding him to be honest.  He said he wasn't sure how much he would enjoy the show, but he said he really, really (yes, he said "really" twice)) loved it!    He was moved.  He thought Darren did "very well" in his acting and his singing.  BTW, that is a high compliment from my husband, who is a tough critic.  When it comes to the younger actors, he rarely expresses that he feels an actor did "well" in terms of dramatic acting, so that he said Darren did "verywell," is big (to me).    He said that Darren was very good in terms of his facial expressions and his voice in terms of expressing emotion.

My husband also high-fived Lena as Yitzhak walked through the aisle.  It seemed that during the distance Lena had to walk to our row, there were only a few hands sticking out for her (due to the audience not being familiar with the show?), so she seemed very grateful for the hands that were extended to her.  ha!  My husband said she had a very firm grip ("she almost took my hand off").

EDIT:  ha!  One thing I want to mention, my husband exclaimed:  "Darren got really buff!"  Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 3295213406
I'm glad your husband enjoyed the show. He really is such a sweetie--and observant too! Ha!  :big grin
Poppy wrote:So I will write back, after I've processed more.  Sorry again for my negative venting
No need to apologize,  It wasn't negative at all, you were just expressing how you legitimately felt. That's exactly the beauty of having this palce to post. So thank you again for creating this lovely Darren Haven for us fans, Poppy!
:hug

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I'm glad you both had a nice time, although it was a bit less nice for Poppy.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for your comments, guys.  I need to dash but I will return!  Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Off topic, but am so excited about the prospect that we may be seeing Darren on our TV screens again!  Until we get confirmation that this project is picked up by FOX, we can discuss the  project about songwriter characters in the Darren Appreciation Thread.  (I'll open up a new thread of course, once we get that much anticipated confirmation!)

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lilikoiluv wrote:I hope this leads to some wonderful opportunities for Darren. 

It looks like Darren did something right to be connected to the FOX project that Lin brought to our attention.  Maybe it was his run in Hedwig on Broadway?  I'm sure the network's relationship with Darren when he was on Glee was very positive, and it clearly was evident to the public, the media and network executives that he had star quality when he landed with a splash in Season 2!

Lilikoiluv wrote:The happiness, satisfaction, and appreciation Darren exudes at the cutrain call is such a beautiful sight. I hope he gets to originate and workshop a role toward a Broadway run. A straight darmatic play would be fantastic. Darren would relish the challenge and camaraderie of the entire process. Then he could be nominated for and win a Tony award. But I digress. lol

He looks so happy at curtain call!   It warms your heart!  I also am hoping that some day he can originate and workshop a Broadway project (or off-Broadway project).   I agree, he would love being involved from the start and would absorb it all up like a sponge.  Aw, a Tony nomination . . . Darren would explode!

Thanks for the info about Sara Rue and Chris Mann.  Who did Sara Rue play on Eastwick?  I had no idea Chris Mann was a Warbler.  The first time I could remember seeing him was on The Voice.   Just thought Darren and Chris Mann knew each other because of both being involved in music.  I love that pic of the Season 2 Warblers, Lilikoiluv!  Thanks for searching for it and posting it here!!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

No wading was done, Lilikoiluv!   I loved every word that you wrote (so articulately!) in your wonderful review. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:What a great conversation you had! It warms my heart that she, who has seen several different Hedwigs, thinks so highly of the emotional depth of Darren's Hedwig that she went to see it again in LA. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:The reviews and tweets have been so effusive in their admiration of Darren's performance and talent.  I cannot express just how thrilled and happy I am for him!

Me too, Lilikoiluv!

It'll take me a while to post my thoughts completely, and it's been a bit hectic in my life right now.  I can say right now that when I saw Darren on Thursday night, November 3 (it seems so long ago, for some reason), you are hyper-aware of how huge the Pantages Theater.  It is enormous compared to the Belasco Theatre; it is enormous just period.  In fact, the nice woman who I spoke with said she was concerned about the intimacy being lost, and that intimacy was important to this show. 

I sat in Center Orchestra, Row H, so just  8th row from stage.  When I saw him on Broadway, I was in Row F, so just 2 rows less than Thursday night.  I don't know if it was the lighting, or something else, but I just felt much farther away.  I know I have read people remarking how the first row at the Pantages is farther from the stage.  I remember at the Belasco, his face was crystal clear, like he was standing really close to me.  I didn't have that feeling at the Pantages, even though i wasn't even that far.  Obviously, he wasn't that far from my row, but it didn't feel like he was right in front of me like I felt at the Belasco.

Lilikoiluv wrote:I agree with you that these west coast audiences know less about the show than the Broadway ones. There was an interesting comment in one of the articles that mentioned the fact that HatAI was part of the Pantages season along with Hamilton.  So if people wanted a crack at getting Hamilton tickets, they purchased the season package. So that may be why some the these people are perhaps going into Hedwig blind. 

Yes, I also think that the number of season subscribers this season must have shot way up, due to Hamilton being part of the package.  In some ways, Hedwig and the Angry Inch tour being part of the Pantages season package  really has helped the Hedwig tour.  I don't believe they (or any of the other shows in the season package that are not Hamilton), would have so many seats sold for Hedwig at the Pantages if they were not included in the same package that contained Hamilton.   With such a large theater that contains so many seats, that's a big monetary bonus to the Hedwig tour production.  But the down side is that I think the audience members who are in the closest seats (reserved for season ticket holders) have no idea what Hedwig is about.   I'm not sure how much of the Orchestra Season tickets holders occupy, especially in this season with Hamilton.   I think most people don't research the shows that are included in the season package (they should research, but I doubt if they do), whereas like you said, Hedwig on Broadway won so many awards and ran for a good, healthy run with some high-profile actors, that many people (except the tourists) most likely knew something about it.

My experience on Thursday night with the distractions bothered me enough that I decided to see the matinee show on Saturday with Darren.  I previously had bought tickets that were reasonably priced ($50 each) in the Orchestra (but to the far right) to see Lena Hall on Sunday night.  But after attending the Thursday night show, I decided to exchange those tickets to see Darren instead.   I got really lucky and was in Row C, 3rd row, Center Orchestra.  Perfect view, even clearer than the view I had at the Belasco (which was not as centered).   The woman who got the glasses sat to my right and was a big Darren fan.   :amused  

The man who sat to my  husband's left was a huge Hedwig fan.  He saw NPH, John and Taye Diggs on Broadway and saw Michael C. Hall in a Hedwig production on Halloween in some other venue, not  on Broadway.   He adored John, didn't prefer NPH although still liked him, and thought Taye Diggs brought a lot of interesting things to the show, mentioning how Taye's Hedwig was very angry.  He didn't know who Darren was since he didn't watch Glee.   He predicted who would be carwashed, a man occupied with his phone in the second row!  He was correct.  We smiled at each other when that happened.  He also predicted that the whole front row, which he was certain were  season ticket holders, would leave because the music would be too loud and since they wouldn't know the show.  Fortunately, he was wrong; no one left in the front row.  Darren kissed a middle-aged man at the  end of the front row, and as he approached the man, the man started laughing (and looking a bit nervous).  Darren licked his face and gave him a quick smooch and the guy was good sport, still laughing.  Darren did ask the man if he was together with the woman next to him, saying that she did not look happy (wasn't sure if Darren was joking), then the remark about the three of them coming together.

(Note:  Since this is a tour, with the majority of the people in the front section of the Orchestra that lays closer to the stage being season ticket holders, I think Darren handled the kiss on the Saturday matinee perfectly.   He verbally teased the man, made it evident he was going to him, and when he saw the man laughing, Darren playfully licked his cheek and gave a quick kiss, not a French kiss.)

Unfortunately, the man who I spoke to who was a big Hedwig fan left in the middle of the show.  I had glanced at him periodically, and saw that he was bopping in his seat to Darren's singing and really seemed to be enjoying himself.   But then in the middle of the show, he pulled out his phone, closed up his bag and abruptly left, so I'm guessing something came up.  Hope he and his family are ok.

Yes, the new entrance is a bit incongruous to the tone of the beginning of the show.  Not fierce, flamboyant, and colorful, but more physical comedy, with the fabric falling on top of Hedwig and Hedwig struggling to get out of it.  I thought it was a bit strange, but people were laughing, so I guess from the start, the show runners  wanted the audience to relax and feel less threatened?

Ha!  Good for you, Lilikoiluv!   Luckily, for the Saturday matinee show, I spoke to the Darren fan to my right and she promised she had something ready to help Darren out regarding Hedwig's hair.  And she followed through with "effervescent."  There was this cute elderly lady, obviously an enthusiastic Hedwig fan, judging by how she was happily dancing in her seat, who also yelled something out, but since she had late timing (like I did on Thursday night) Hedwig hilariously asked whose name was outside on the marquee.  Darren went on for a little bit with that, asking the lady if she was ok with Hedwig continuing with the show, and people were laughing. 

And thanks for your sympathy, Lilikoiluv.  In any other show, I'm sure it (standing up several times for someone in my row) wouldn't have bothered me.  But I really was looking forward to that pivotal scene the most, since it is the climax of the story, and because Darren is so (in my opinion) brilliant in that scene, and anyway, I was just really disappointed because of the distraction of having to stand up to allow the man back into his seat, and then to have to try to get myself back into the scene, right at the climax of the story).   But I understand this happens. Traffic is horrible in Los Angeles, and late arrivals happen, and the policy differs according the each theater.  It unfortunately set a chain reaction for this man, since he probably didn't have a chance to use the restroom prior to the show. 

The Saturday show was perfect.  So I'm more than happy now.  The audience was much better as a whole too, seemed there were more Hedwig fans there than on Thursday night, so the energy was much better.   A good number of people in the Orchestra (not just the front part) lifted their hands at the end.   My husband enjoyed the Saturday matinee show even more than the Thursday night show, just as I did, not just because of the lack of distractions at the Saturday matinee show, but because we had a perfect view being so close, and he said he could see Darren's face so clearly, with all the various facial expressions of Darren's characters.  After the Saturday matinee show, my husband said that he thought Darren was "amazing" in the scene where Hedwig and Tommy  had the life-changing interaction.  I couldn't believe my ears that my husband used the word "amazing."  :amused  He loved the different voices that Darren used for the various characters.  He was the most interested in hearing Darren sing live, and thought Darren did "great," commenting that he hit some impressive notes, showing a good range and a strong voice, and had a nice tone.  His favorite song was Wig in a Box and the ballads, since he liked the emotion that Darren's voice conveyed in those songs.  

Lilikoiluv wrote:No need to apologize,  It wasn't negative at all, you were just expressing how you legitimately felt. That's exactly the beauty of having this palce to post. So thank you again for creating this lovely Darren Haven for us fans, Poppy!
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 3065861840

Thank you for your sympathy, Lilikoiluv.  I appreciate it. 

And thanks for your words too, Jeremy.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy,   another review.  :happy face

Showbiz 411 wrote:
Darren Criss, John Cameron Mitchell Update "Hedwig" for L.A., Adding "The guy with the Tic Tacs"

November 6, 2016 by Leah Sydney

HOLLYWOOD– Please leave me alone! Hedwig implored Donald Trump at the opening night at the recent premiere of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” at the Pantages in Hollywood. “The guy with the Tic Tacs is stalking me on Grindr (a popular gay dating app) and wanting to grope me. Please leave me alone!”

As an avid fan since the show opened up at Jane Street in New York years ago, I’ve been looped into the Tony award winning “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” — which premiered on Broadway in 2014. John Cameron Mitchell’s brilliant book, along with Stephen Trask’s rock score, created a show that has been a lasting cult hit, cultivating Hed-heads around the world.

Hedwig, an East German rock singer– perhaps a man or a woman gender fluid sensitive soul — who endured a botched sex change operation, is played by the truly brilliant Darren Criss of “Glee” fame. Criss has experience with the role, he stepped in for Neil Patrick Harris on Broadway. Criss captures the soulful pain and the intimate crises that befall the long suffering Hedwig. The show is site specific, with Hedwig telling the audience that the Pantages is available, at the request of producer Bobby Nederlander, because of the sudden closing of “Hurt Locker: The Musical.” (I have to admit I picked up my “Hurt Locker” playbill before the show started and I was baffled, but a trashed car and bloodstains on the stage were obvious clues.)

Criss added to the Trump banter with, “If I wanted to see a mess in an L.A. theater, I could just see L.A. Theater.”
He also chided one of this band members with a reference to his “Glee” co star, “Lea Michele could do it better.”

[. . .]

Criss is simply fantastic is the role, conveying soulful pain as well as pitch perfect comic timing. “I lost an uncle at Auschwitz, granted he fell out of a guard tower.” When the audience groaned Criss quipped back, “Too soon?” Criss is irresistible; his performance will be an enduring Hedwig. The tale is fraught with drama, Hedwig’s bi-polar behavior, her scandalous background with the now famous rock star Tommy Gnosis, while her career is on life support. The story, the concept of “Hedwig” has ironically turned into a musical for the ages. Exciting, clever, loud, poignant, theater perfection. Don’t miss it.

A review by an avid theater fan, well-written (found via twitter):

cahighways wrote:
One is the Loneliest Number "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" @ Pantages

November 6, 2016.  By CAHWYGUY

Hedwig is also a topical musical. Unlike musicals that have a set book, the musical is like Hedwig herself — a little bit fluid around the edges. Each production is tailored to the time and the location — hence the references to Los Angeles, the audience interaction, the reference to the Hollywood Bowl, and veiled references to both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton (when Hedwig proclaims herself to be a “nasty woman”).

[. . . ]

Hedwig is topical, gender bending, in-your-face, transformative, loud, gentle, and surprisingly complicated. It is a clear example of how what we see on the surface is only that — the surface — and that the complexity and strange directions of people’s lives color us in way we can’t expect. We put on the clothes, we put on the wig, we put on the expectations, and we… become. Every Hedwig is different — and there have been many in the role — but they are also the same. Hedwig exposes that common humanity, and exposes that urge to find the person from whom you were torn asunder. You walk out of the show a little confused, but with an ultimately positive feeling.

. . .

Bringing this Hedwig to life is Darren Criss (FB). Criss’ performance leaves one at a loss for words. Under the direction of Michael Mayer, Criss lives and breathes Hedwig. The personas merge; you truly believe he is she, is Hedwig. It is also clear that she, meaning he, is having a blast on  stage with this role — with a rare liberty to go all out, to play with the audience and the character, to go (within reason) beyond the staid book of a musical. It is just an astounding performance that you will remember long after.

Note included by the writer:
"Ob. Disclaimer: I am not a trained theatre critic; I am, however, a regular theatre audience member. I’ve been attending live theatre and concerts in Los Angeles since 1972; I’ve been writing up my thoughts on theatre (and the shows I see) since 2004. I do not have theatre training (I’m a computer security specialist), but have learned a lot about theatre over my many years of attending theatre and talking to talented professionals. I pay for all my tickets unless otherwise noted. I am not compensated by anyone for doing these writeups in any way, shape, or form."

Note:  The writer goes on to demonstrate a great familiarity with theater in southern California.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_og8v46lTVx1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost alex_neshan 

LIFT UP YOUR HAAAAAAEEAAAAAEEAAANNDDS Effing Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Shit man….in every which way shape and form, so amazing. #hedwigandtheangryinch #hedwig #lenahall #darrencriss #liftupyourhands #hollywood #pantages http://ift.tt/2ff6x6P
via DarrenCrissArmy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

RomyRaves wrote:
Darren Criss SLAYS as Hedwig and the Angry Inch at Hollywood Pantages

November 7, 2016

I recently attended Opening Night of Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Hollywood Pantages Theatre and it was nothing short of spectacular! The Los Angeles limited engagement of Hedwig (now thru November 27th) is starring Darren Criss that many of you may know from Glee. I’m delighted to tell you that Blaine Anderson was nowhere to be found in Criss’s transformative performance of Hedwig, a charismatic and emotionally scarred transgender rock star who has arrived for this one-night-only special performance to set the record straight about her life, her loves, and the botched operation that left her with an “angry inch.”

I was absolutely mesmerized by Criss’s performance of Hedwig; he completely morphed into to this flamboyant, funny, passionate angst ridden rocker, who you laugh at and cry with. I marveled at the stamina it took to portray this role with all the necessary physicality it takes to dance, sing, walk, jump and gyrate in platform heels. He was absolutely incredible and those abs, don’t even get me started . . .

[. . . ]

All I can say is Angelenos RUN! to see Darren Criss during his limited engagement at the Pantages before it’s too late!! You are in for an absolutely amazing night of theater. You will see Broadway caliber performances and be transported into an incredible glam rock world ala David Bowie with top notch talent, incredible staging, fun and provocative musical numbers, singing dancing, licking and some of the best musical theater to grace an LA stage in long time.
via DarrenCrissArmy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Some tweets:

Note:   Lisa Schwartz is an actor and youtube personality.

Note:  Dan Carrillo Levy is a film director and producer, and founded Moxie 88, Boutique Film Studio.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

This fan's message had a special resonance with me, given the election results of my country.
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogfq1ksnKY1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost _dinorah_

In the midst of all the uncertainty at least I got to meet one of my favorite humans today. Not only is he so talented but most importantly an amazing caring human being. We need more people like you in this world #darrencriss!  https://www.instagram.com/p/BMovICghVnl/
via DarrenCrissArmy

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogexxp1bfU1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost makenakane

After a day of hatred and bigotry, I am very glad that I can go see art that is so well crafted fighting (and ad libbing) for what they believe in. Thank you #darrencriss https://www.instagram.com/p/BMnpou2hTc0/
via DarrenCrissArmy

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogfqxw9FqX1ubd9qxo1_1280
#Repost samthefilmman

Honestly #darrencriss is an awesome performer and a very nice guy. Thanks for hug man. Seriously last meant more than words can say! #hedwigandtheangryinch #theatre #musical #loveeachother https://www.instagram.com/p/BMoxWsgBouJ/
via DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Nice gif set capturing what Lena Hall said about Darren during the livestream (Facebook):

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogg1k7GIll1qzh21go1_250  Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogg1k7GIll1qzh21go2_250

Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogg1k7GIll1qzh21go3_250  Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_ogg1k7GIll1qzh21go4_250

janel-moloney:

Lena: You have this really cool voice, don’t be afraid of it.
Darren: Thanks! Everybody else, be very afraid.

November 10 2016   (Source)
via dailydarrennews

(From this video:  Facebook Livestream)

Fan review:

i-and-my-annabel-lee wrote:
My Hedwig
November 10, 2016

He did it again. It doesn’t matter how high my expectations are with Darren, he always manages to exceed them, somehow. I packed my bag and left my own wicked little town for a week and went to sunny LA to see Hedwig, again. I thought he couldn’t be better than in New York. Boy, I was wrong. Maybe it’s because I’m more used to listening to his voice in videos or crackling audio recordings than in real life, but every time I have the rare chance to bask in the richness and beauty of his voice, the reasons why I’ve ever loved this man become clear again in my head.
His voice is loud, bold, deep, rough and sweet at the same time. It’s soft and rich like velvet and it melts like pure honey. And the best part is that his voice is just what titillates your hearing. Everything is brought to completion by how he moves and the expressions his face is able to make. He moves and bends his body as he pleases and it’s strong and fragile, compact and feminine. He has muscles and, trust me, you can see each and every single one of them, and you can see his strenght in all his jumps and push-ups and all those crazy acrobatics he does all round the stage. But he curves his body, he bends his leg, he sits on a lonely stall or a damaged car and he’s suddenly a mean but fragile and beaten up woman who’s been through more shit than anyone could bear, or a little boy molested by his father, or a young kid who still doesn’t know what he wants from life and who’s too afraid to love. He spins his strong figure and he’s a graceful ballerina dancing to a rock ‘n’ roll song. His eyes are pools of deep emotion and he can say more with a raised eyebrow than I could ever say to you with a million words. You can’t take your eyes off of him, Hedwig, Tommy, Luther and all the other characters he has within his own body for the whole 90 minutes. You can see his eyes even from the back of the teather and, surrounded by muddy maybelline tears, smudges eyeshadow and fake lashes, they find you, somehow. Each and every one of you at the same time. The energy you can literally see radiating from him is captivating and with his moves and his voice he takes you by the hand and he leads you through so many characters and so many stories but you don’t get lost. He doesn’t let you. He tells Hedwig’s story so clearly and with so much honesty that you can’t escape it. The funny parts, the sad parts, the dark parts. Parts that you would never want to hear, things that you would never want to see happening to someone. You go through them all with him and you get to the end of the last note and you realize that you didn’t just learn about Hedwig’s story, or Hansel’s, or Tommy’s. No, you also learned a little bit about yourself. In these 90 minutes of silly jokes, sexual innuendos and silent tears, you actually found a little piece of knowledge that you can add to your own story. And this happens every time you see the show. From the moment he puts his golden heels on the car to the one his bare feet lead him out of the stage.

My parents saw the show for the very first time. I want to include this in my little recap for a reason. They have never seen Darren doing anything live, they’ve never seen Hedwig, live or on screen, and they don’t speak English. They loved it. They couldn’t understand how this cute, sweet, little guy they saw talking with fans at stage door could become this stage monster they saw in front of them. My father told me: “I knew he had talent, from a couple of videos I saw from you, but I could have never imagined how much of an explosion of talent and energy he actually is”. His techincal precision, his vocals and his moves hit them, even if they couldn’t understand one single joke. They didn’t understand the innuendoes, the jokes or the rough and poignant dialogues (or monologues I should say) and yes, one could say they missed a lot, but they felt it. They felt Hedwig’s pain and feelings and Darren made them go through the dark turns and noice of Hedwig’s story just thanks to his own passion and talent. Nothing else. And I do think this is all kinds of amazing and remarkable.

The show lack the intimacy of the New York’s show, inevitable since you have almost 3000 people instead of 1000 and the teather is clearly huge, but the energy and the roaring laughs, claps and cheering make up for it. I’ll never forget how proud I felt. Seeing Darren coming on stage taking is bow, the spotlights lighting up again on the audience and 3000 people standing up for him is one hell of a view. He has the power to make 3000 people loudly cheer for him and to have them silently, completely and unwillingly - because he doesn’t give you room for any choice - eating out from the palm of his hand. It doesn’t matter if it’s touching a wig, picking at those fishnets, holding a mic or sending a kiss.

-i-and-my-annabel-lee

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Looking at some tweets about the show, it struck me how seeing Hedwig and the Angry Inch has helped folks in terms of finding hope and some light, which is so important because of the uncertainty and anxiety felt by so many subsequent to the election.   This show is more inspirational than ever, given what has just happened in the U.S..   I'm glad Darren, through his performance and through his kind words at stage door, has helped lift the spirit of others. 

More tweets:

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Warbler - Fan Reviews, Media Reviews, and comments from members of the Media, about Darren in Hedwig and the Angry Inch--SF and L.A. Tour  - Page 5 Tumblr_oghks3NPFl1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost bookwhimsy 

Theatre night with #tvpam seeing Hedwig and the Angry Inch starring #DarrenCriss. Incredible performances and well timed political jokes! My favorite lines from a song in the show: “You think that luck has left you there/ But maybe there’s nothing up in the sky but air.” #theatre #hedwigtour http://ift.tt/2fr9EIM
via DarrenCrissArmy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Some more tweets (once again, showing the power of this show to uplift and give hope):

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Another review:

4YourExcitement wrote:
Darren Criss Puts The Wig Back On His Head For Hedwig And The Angry Inch

November 11, 2016.

By Clare Sidoti

Through fate or some divine intervention, some shows seem to arrive at just the right time. Times when audiences need to experience something meaningful, to escape or help them deal with or explain what is going on in the real world. With all the fear, confusion, uncertainty and hate in the world, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (directed by Michael Mayer and now showing at Los Angeles’ Pantages Theatre) has begun its US tour at such a crucial time for this story to be told. Providing its audience with a story about love, being true to yourself and following your dreams, you are able to have a cathartic and unifying experience all set to a kick ass rock soundtrack and extravaganza.

[. . . ]

What we see is a tragic journey of self destruction/discovery that strips away Hedwig’s façade, leaving audiences with plenty to ponder as they depart the theatre.

Criss is the heart and soul of the show; taking us to unbelievable heights with Hedwig’s passion, defiance, comedic way of dealing with her life and rapport with the audience, and then bringing us back down to earth with her reflection, pain, and ultimate sacrifice. While I loved his performance in the Broadway production, this Hedwig has more gravitas and less manic energy. There’s a greater sense of world-weariness to her that goes deeper this time around. This is certainly not a criticism of either performance, but an interesting new take on her. This is never more evident than in “Hedwig’s Lament,” “Midnight Radio” and then his Tommy Gnosis performance of “Wicked Little Town (Reprise)”. No matter how many times I see this show, those last two songs never fail to bring me to tears. The simplicity and stillness of Criss’ performance here after 80 minutes or so of high energy, in your face pure Rock Goddess is breathtaking and Hedwig’s agony just oozes from Criss throughout the stage touching us all. There is a real sense of uneasiness at what Hedwig has been reduced to and an eager anticipation for what is going to happen to her next.

The format for the show makes it the perfect vehicle for Criss, playing to his numerous strengths. The rock concert performance of the songs allows him to work the audience and highlights his youthful energy. However, it’s the cabaret style chit chat with the audience in between numbers where he truly comes alive. Feisty (and boy was she on fire the night after the election) and engaging, Criss’ Hedwig flirts her way into the audience’s heart (some more up close and personally than others). Criss’ quick wit, comedic timing and willingness to just go with whatever is thrown at him from the audience is as much a joy to watch as it is evidently to play. There is no doubt that you are in her domain and Criss certainly takes advantage of that to full effect.

As it was the night following the election, there was no doubt that through the relaxed ad-lib nature of the performance, Hedwig would offer her own special brand of commentary on what has unfolded. Filled with quips such as reminding people to set their clocks back 60 years, that the stage tastes like Mike Pence, numerous “Nasty Woman” references and about the new President-elect (the Grindr and hair ones were particularly good), the show easily touches on today’s concerns. Though one of the more chilling segments is Hedwig’s taunts to Yitzhak and the Angry Inch about immigration coming to get them – as Hedwig remarked, this takes on a whole new meaning now.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Some tweets:

Note:  Yeardley Smith is an actor (she is well-known for playing the voice of Lisa Simpson.  I also knew her from a TV show called Herman's Head).

This person said she has seen every version of this show (on Broadway?). 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum