Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Poppy wrote:
From Darren Criss Army:
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_of2ex4PMe21ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost hollywoodpantagestheatre
The moon comes up over Hollywood Blvd. http://ift.tt/2eC48WV
(via DarrenCrissArmy)
Those banners of Darren/Hedwig's eyes all long Hollywood Boulevard must be a magnificent sight!  Has anyone had a chance to see them? What an awesome sight to build up your anticipation as you approach the Pantages Theatre!  8)

Poppy wrote:Just want to take this opportunity to wish Lilikoiluv the best trip to SF! feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 1176082380   Hope you love seeing Darren in Hedwig (I have a feeling, for some reason, that you will feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 3295213406 ), and have tons of fun seeing Darren in his old high school, St. Ignatius!   feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 1004216115  feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 2029512208  
Aww, thank you for the well wishes, Poppy! :hug   I can't believe, after all this time, that I'll actually finally be seeing Darren perform live.  Eek. excited I hope today's day off will help his leg/knee recover from whatever happened yesterday. heart  Cannot wait for the chat between Darren and Mr. Devine at St. Ignatius too.  So much Darren goodness in a few days!   :love

Poppy wrote:Looking forward to hearing your thoughts later! 
I'm not sure what kind of coherent thoughts I'll have after I get over the shock of it all actually happening!  I'm going to be like:  :so happy  then  :guitar jamming then  :cry then   clapping hands bow to you

Then for quite a while I'll probably be like: :shocked :love wha?  as I let it all sink in.
lol.

OT:  Why is there no "like" icon to click on for the last three posts above?  :very confused Is it just me?

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Liliikoiluv!

I haven't been in that area for a while, so haven't had the privilege to see that sight yet.   But hopefully, some time soon!  :happy face 

Lilikoiluv wrote:Aww, thank you for the well wishes, Poppy! feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 3065861840   I can't believe, after all this time, that I'll actually finally be seeing Darren perform live.  Eek. feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 3173298380 I hope today's day off will help his leg/knee recover from whatever happened yesterday. feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 1553217600  Cannot wait for the chat between Darren and Mr. Devine at St. Ignatius too.  So much Darren goodness in a few days!   feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 3446027931

Yes, I hope that Darren's knee is better.   I'm glad he has the day off today, like you said, Lilikoiluv, so that he can take it easy.   He looked fine at the stage door, though, so hopefully it is not too bad.   But it is wise for him to be careful while performing in the show, to make sure he stays safe.  That's the most important thing.

And the chat between Darren and Mr. Devine at St. Ignatius will be so special.  That was was the teacher who he did a shout out to, at the 2015 Tony Awards, isn't it?   I would love to hear your thoughts when you return (please)! 

Aw, I love your enthusiasm and excitement, Lilikoiluv!! I had a great big smile on my face, reading your post.   :big grin

The first time I saw Darren perform live also was in Hedwig.  I remember sitting in the Belasco Theatre, waiting for the show to start, thinking I could not believe I am finally seeing him perform in person for the first time!  Even when he came out, it felt sort of surreal. 

haha!  I love your use of the little emoticons!  They appropriately predict the range of emotions you will be feeling! 

This is exactly how I felt for the first few minutes I saw him in Hedwig.

Lilikoiluv wrote:Then for quite a while I'll probably be like: feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 778000690 feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 3446027931 feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 2747276107  as I let it all sink in.
lol.

And thanks for letting me know about the missing thumbs up icon.  Can you see it now?  I removed some code for the audio recording of one of Darren's interviews.  I'm guessing that was the problem, since this happened only in this thread.  Hopefully, you can see the thumbs up icon now?

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Looks like Darren is doing promo for the Hollywood Pantages on his day off.  Hopefully, he still had time to rest his leg.

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_of7mbzOKTM1uetdyxo1_500
hollywoodpantagestheatre: Hollywood style!
October 17 2016

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_of7lbvhzB11uetdyxo1_500
Hollywood Pantages‏ Hanging with the amazingly talented @DarrenCriss today. @HedwigOnBway begins Nov 1st!
October 17 2016

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Darren and Lena visit Twitter headquarters to promote Hedwig and to show their support of Spirit Day (to stand up against bullies and to support the LGBTQ community; people wear purple to show their support).

A few pics:

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofd2nkmBFf1uetdyxo2_1280
 x   @DarrenCriss came to speak to us @twitter for #SpiritDay

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofd2nkmBFf1uetdyxo4_1280

x    "What it is to want to know who you are." - @DarrenCriss

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofd55n7l7W1uetdyxo1_1280

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofd55n7l7W1uetdyxo2_1280

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofd55n7l7W1uetdyxo3_1280
@aeec: Great chat with @DarrenCriss and #lenahall ! Can’t wait to see the show Tues!

@thatcher_j: Great hearing from @LenaRockerHall and @DarrenCriss at Twitter today. @jimhalloran asked fantastic questions of our Hedwigs.

@che: We @StIgnatius alums are a fun bunch! Thanks for stopping by @DarrenCriss…and get back to work @liam! #Wildcats

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

For those trying to win the backstage meet with Darren via Today Tix:

The San Francisco FOX station KTVU did a really nice piece on Darren in their evening news: 

I loved that they included St. Ignatius and the highly esteemed Peter Devine. It makes my heart smile that Mr. Devine thinks so highly of Darren and his talents.   heart
I also like how the two newscasters gush over Darren's amazing portrayal of Hedwig and what a nice person he is. Nothing new to us, but hearing it from people outside the fandom always makes me giddy and so happy for Darren. :amused

OT: Yay! This techno-muggle successfully posted a non-youtube video! lol!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lilikoiluv!  You are back! 

I saw your lovely, eloquent tweets about Darren's performance in SF!   I'm so glad that you loved his performance!  (I also saw your nice tweet about the KTVU video and Mr. Devine.  Such a nice tweet!) 

Thank you so much for posting that KTVU video!  Congrats on posting your first non-youtube video here!    I know it takes time to do that, so thank you!  We appreciate it! 

Lilikoiluv wrote:I loved that they included St. Ignatius and the highly esteemed Peter Devine. It makes my heart smile that Mr. Devine thinks so highly of Darren and his talents.   feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 1553217600

I agree.  It's so touching to hear his former teacher speak so highly of Darren, to hear Mr. Devine say that Darren was special because of his energy and passion, two qualities that have served Darren well and that he still shows loads of to this day. 

It's so moving too to hear Darren talk about how his 15 year old self wouldn't believe that one day Darren would be part of the family of Hedwig actors, with Hedwig and the Angry Inch being a piece of art that he had a nostalgic connection to since he was growing up in SF, and that it is a full-circle moment for him to return to his home town to perform Hedwig.  This was a really special interview, like you said Lilikoiluv, because of how the clip featured Darren's St. Ignatius teacher, Mr. Devine talking about young-Darren, and how Darren was a star even then, and also because there seemed to be that special St. Ignatius connection between the newscaster, Mike Mibach and Darren. 

Lilikoiluv wrote:I also like how the two newscasters gush over Darren's amazing portrayal of Hedwig and what a nice person he is. Nothing new to us, but hearing it from people outside the fandom always makes me giddy and so happy for Darren. feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 3295213406

Yes!  Both newscasters noted how humble and nice a human being Darren is. It's always wonderful to see people transform into fans of Darren after they see him perform or meet him. 

The words that Mike narrates about Darren at the end of the video is touching:  "A brilliant performer, a gracious young man, who understands his roots, who understands he's living his dream, under the lights on the stage, in his city by the bay."  :cry heart

Lilikoiluv, I'm sure you also had a wonderful time at St. Ignatius, and roaming around the beautiful city of San Francisco!   I hope it was a great trip, full of fantastic experiences and memories!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Nice art from sunshunes being used by @HedwigOnBway.    The last week of the Hedwig tour in SF!

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofigmq79tx1ubd9qxo1_1280

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofigmq79tx1ubd9qxo2_1280
via DarrenCrissArmy

Discounted tickets to Opening Night at the Hollywood Pantages (in L.A.)!
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofkmpquL771ubd9qxo1_1280

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofkmpquL771ubd9qxo2_1280
DarrenCrissArmy

Link to the Hollywood Pantages:  Tickets

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofo6qenjNW1uetdyxo1_500

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofo6vgMjRM1ubd9qxo2_500

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofo77ztHD61ubd9qxo1_1280

via DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Aww, I didn't see the @shnsf tweet about Darren's final Wednesday matinee.  The @shnsf twitter account has been so cute throughout Darren's run.  I attended last week's Wednesday matinee, and the audience is most likely very different from the other nights/matinees, so I get a double-edged meaning from that tweet. lol. I'll explain more about that when I post about my Hedwig show experience. 

The Los Angeles Hedwig Tour promos are starting to happen! celebration dance!
First up, a very wonderful write-up in the Los Angeles Times! I've just copied some of the Darren portions, but the entire article is nicely written!

A millennial Hedwig? Darren Criss talks about a new generation rocking to this 'Angry Inch'
Darren Criss needs to be reminded that he’s a millennial. The 29-year-old former “Glee” star is sitting in the gilded lobby of the Hollywood Pantages Theatre. Outside, banners proclaiming him the star of the rock ’n’ roll musical “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” line the star-spangled boulevard.

“I thought I missed the millennial thing,” Criss says, squinting and wrinkling his nose, as if the idea that he was the millennial Hedwig hurt his sense of pride. “I think I’m too old to be a millennial, or else I feel like I’m on the very front end.”

With a birth date in 1987, Criss falls squarely in the generation maligned for what is perceived as its maddening self-absorption. But it’s also a generation that has the most progressive attitudes toward gender fluidity and human rights for the LGBT community.

So having Criss play an East German singer who’s genderqueer — identifying with neither sex, or both sexes — when the show opens Tuesday at the Pantages seems particularly apropos.
“I’ve never given it an ounce of thought because I’m not reinterpreting anything — the audience is,” Criss says, rapping fingernails painted a chipped black on a tufted lobby bench. “In the past year or two there has been this exciting boost in dialogue about the trans community, and I like to say the victory is in the discussion, whether it’s being led by millennials or not.”
Criss puts it a different way: “One of the main characters of the show is the audience, and what’s so great about that is that character is played by a different actor every night depending on the vibe of the crowd.”

If the crowd is of the older, more white-bread matinee variety, Criss steers his performance in a more demure direction. If it’s a rowdy Saturday night, Criss might fan those flames.
Growing up in San Francisco in the 1990s, Criss was a high school actor surrounded by young, gay actors working in professional theaters.

“They’d take me out to the diner or wherever, and they were just a part of my life,” says Criss, who is straight. “At no point did I go, ‘Oh, cool, I’m hanging out with all my gay buddies.’ You just don’t think that way at all.”

Mitchell liked Criss for the part of Hedwig because he had “this incredible queer straight-boy vibe about him.” Many of Mitchell’s friends are like that, he says, meaning, “they’re very relaxed about the idea of gender fluidity.”

It didn’t hurt that Criss was also a rock ’n’ roller at heart. He was always, as he puts it, “a guy with a guitar and a microphone,” rather than someone formally trained in musical theater. He says he would ruin a show like “South Pacific.”

Trask also wanted Criss for the role and approached him during a Broadway opening-night party. He admired Criss’ performance in “Glee,” in which he played gay teen Blaine Anderson.

“He just kind of jumped off the screen,” Trask says. “You’ve got this show with a certain amount of machinery around all the performances, but Darren just popped out of the machine. He was clearly operating on a different level.”
Interestingly, Criss remembers things a bit differently. He says he asked Trask if he could play the role. Playing Hedwig had been a dream since a 14-year-old Criss first saw the indie movie starring Mitchell.

Criss loved the story, with its brash David Bowie and Velvet Underground-inspired rock ’n’ roll soundtrack and subversive plot line. Later in life, Criss and his girlfriend dressed as Hedwig and Yitzhak for Halloween.

“I’ve always had my sights set on this,” he says. “This could very well be the greatest role I ever play.”

And with this first write-up comes some new beautiful photos that DDN has graciously edited for us! 
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofpjx8nzrt1uetdyxo1_500

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofpjx8nzrt1uetdyxo2_500
x

Are you ready for Hedwig to invade your area, Poppy?  
*sings* Now she's comin' for you! 8)

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lilikoiluv wrote: I attended last week's Wednesday matinee, and the audience is most likely very different from the other nights/matinees, so I get a double-edged meaning from that tweet. lol. I'll explain more about that when I post about my Hedwig show experience.

Am so curious what you mean, that it was most likely very different from other matinees.  Is it because the St. Ignatius event was that evening, so it was full of St. Ignatius alumni, or full of fans like you who were going to attend the Hedwig matinee in the afternoon and the St. Ignatius event that evening?   When I saw Darren once in Hedwig on Broadway, it was a matinee. It was full of older folks, who were resistant to lifting their hands.  In my vicinity, I was one of the few folks who lifted my hands.  And they were pretty quiet, yet at the end of the show, they were very enthusiastic in their applause (and of course gave Darren and Rebecca a standing ovation). 

I remember lennox, who is a big Broadway fan, said in general the matinees have a higher percentage of older folks and for that reason, are less loud than the evening crowds. 

Thank you so much, Lilikoiluv, for posting that interview with the L.A. Times.  Very nice article!  I have noticed some of the northern Cal news media that gave Darren interviews, at a later point, also reviewed the SF show.   If the Hedwig show in L.A. later gets a review from the L.A. Times, that's pretty big! 

Those photos are great.  Thanks for posting, Lilikoiluv!   I love that jacket that he's wearing (or is it a sweater?)!

Lilikoiluv wrote:
Are you ready for Hedwig to invade your area, Poppy?  
*sings* Now she's comin' for you! feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Icon_cool

haha!  Nicely done, Lilikoiluv!  Of course, I'm ready! I'm ready! I have been ready! :so happy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

So it rained in L.A. on Thursday (10/27/16), and it looks like it rained in SF too. 

From dailydarrennews:

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofquwt15YO1uetdyxo1_500
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofquwt15YO1uetdyxo2_500

I'm actually surprised, but very pleased/glad that he didn't do stage door in the rain.  Unlike most celebrities (heck, most people in general), he often seems to put his fans/others before his own well-being.  But that's not always the best thing for Darren himself.  I'm so glad that he is taking care of  himself and not taking a chance of getting chilled in the rain.  We wouldn't want him to get sick (because unlike his run on Broadway during the spring/summer, the L.A. shows occur in November, which is often the start of the time when people catch colds/get sick, which is why he probably should go back to just kissing people's cheeks, like he did on Broadway, instead of French-kissing, and probably should reduce the amount of people he hugs at stage door too; man, it'll be a shock if he doesn't get sick with kissing 7 different people per week and for each of his 6 shows per week when he does stage door, hugging dozens of his fans, who BTW love him so much, they probably would not miss a show even if they are somewhat sick).  He still has over a month remaining in the Hedwig tour.   Ok, overly protective rant over.  :cheeky :lol  :talking

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

So the Hollywood Pantages tweeted that for a few specific Hedwig performances, there are $29 tickets if ordered before 11:59 pm today (10/28/16)! 

I would have ordered some if i wasn't already scheduled to go next week.  :amused 

The link takes you to this page:  Ticketmaster

As of right now, the $29 tickets are for 3 performances:  Nov. 1 (Tuesday), November 2, and November 3, all at 8 pm.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

Here is the paper copy of that Los Angeles Times article that Lilikoiluv posted previously.   The title of the article is different from the online article.  Later, I will try to read the print to see if the paper article adds anything different from the online article.

Los Angeles Times wrote:

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvb17Xxns1ubd9qxo1_540

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvb17Xxns1ubd9qxo2_500

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvb17Xxns1ubd9qxo3_r1_1280

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvb17Xxns1ubd9qxo4_r1_1280

Darren Criss featured on the front page of the Los Angeles Times Arts and Books Section, October 30, 2016
via DarrenCrissArmy

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvexoP9bu1ubd9qxo1_1280
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvexoP9bu1ubd9qxo2_1280
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvexoP9bu1ubd9qxo3_1280
Darren on the cover of the LA Times Arts & Book section, Sunday October 30, 2016
via DarrenCrissArmy

From dailydarrennews:
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvqsnk5qm1uetdyxo1_1280
Darren on the cover of the LA Times’ Arts & Books section - October 30, 2016 | Source
October 30 2016
dailydarrennews

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_ofvqojVSMs1uetdyxo1_1280
LA Times cover picture | Source
dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour at the Hollywood Pantages in Los Angeles:   November 1 - 27, 2016. 

Darren's Schedule

November 1-27    Hedwig & the Angry Inch.  L.A.:    Tickets

So begins the Los Angeles leg of the Hedwig and the Angry Inch tour! applause

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Article from the Holllywood Reporter.

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Off Script: Darren Criss Talks Tweaking 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' for L.A. Audiences

November 2, 2016 (by Maureen Lee Lenker)

Darren Criss has unboxed his wigs for Hedwig and the Angry Inch, a role he played on Broadway last year. On Wednesday night, the Glee breakout begins the production’s run in Los Angeles, as part of its nearly year-long national tour.

“I get to bring Hedwig to cities where I have a lot of family and friends that maybe didn’t have a chance to go see it when it was in New York,” Criss, who shares the stage with Tony winner Lena Hall, tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I’m excited to see how L.A. audiences take it. And it’s a way for me, personally and professionally, to hang the heels up and pass it on to the next person.”

[ . . .]

How is this version different from the Broadway production?

[On Broadway], I was inheriting four or five people’s different Hedwigs, so we got to do a hard reset. The cool thing about this show is that it shifts and modifies to wherever it goes. There’s this fabulous immediacy and lack of fourth wall-ness to the show that makes the audience feel like what they’re experiencing is for the first and last time, right before their very eyes in that moment. There’s a reason people coming back. It’s a living, breathing thing that makes it endlessly fun to jump into every day.

[. . . ]

How do you stay in shape on the road?

I’m a big fitness class junkie, especially when I travel. And I like hiking — I realize that’s such an L.A. cliché. People always say, 'What are you going to do: go to L.A., eat kale and go on a hike?' Yeah, that sounds awesome. Why is that a negative thing? But Hedwig itself is like an extra workout. I joke that it’s “P90-Hedwig” because if you know the show well, it’s kind of structured like a 90-minute workout.

What do you like to do during the day?

Spending time with friends, as normal and boring as that sounds. And I can very well just stay at home all day, read and hangout and play my piano.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Interview with Access Hollywood:

Darren Criss: How ‘Hedwig’ Stays Current & Relevant

“Hedwig and the Angry Inch” star star Darren Criss shares with Access Hollywood Live’s Natalie Morales and Kit Hoover that the Tony-winning musical revival was created to feel “like it’s happening before your very eyes” which allows the performers to “add a local flair” now that the show’s on tour. “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” is at The Pantages in Hollywood through Nov. 27.
Link to Access Hollywood

From DarrenCrissArmy:

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og58at02lH1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost kpcc

“Hedwig and the Angry Inch” star Darren Criss stopped by #taketwoshow this morning to chat about the show (now at the Pantages!) and how it’s reaching a wider audience as the country gains more awareness of trans issues. Hear the interview at kpcc.org/taketwo. http://ift.tt/2fqiJRu

Darren Criss talks Hedwig and the Angry Inch on KPCC, November 4, 2016

via  DarrenCrissArmy

This is a very nice interview.  Darren very articulately talks both about the specific relationship of the show with the LGBTQ community (which I believe is important to acknowledge), reflected in the sensitivity and awareness of the current discussion of issues involving gender fluidity, as well as how the character and the show's themes and messages extend in a broader sense to others as well.   The show is both.  It means so much to many persons within the LGBTQ community, as well as meaning so much to anyone who longs to find their soul mate and anyone who has traveled a tough journey to arrive at self-acceptance and self-love.  Well-done job, Darren!

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Today Tix's chance to win 2 Orchestra seats and a backstage meet & greet with Darren extends to the Los Angeles show!

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og30syVVPN1ubd9qxo1_1280
TodayTix: Hey LA, here’s your chance to win 2 Orchestra seats to #Hedwig and a backstage meet & greet with @DarrenCriss! http://go.todaytix.com/HedwigGiveawayLA

(Source: twitter.com)
via DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og6pjrnZf11ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost darrencriss - LA Friends: Enter the @TodayTix giveaway for the chance to win 2 Orchestra Seats to @hedwigonbway and a backstage hang! (Link in bio) - #regrann http://ift.tt/2fndD9V
via DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy wrote:Lilikoiluv!  You are back!  

I saw your lovely, eloquent tweets about Darren's performance in SF!   I'm so glad that you loved his performance!  (I also saw your nice tweet about the KTVU video and Mr. Devine.  Such a nice tweet!)  
Eep! You found my super-secret fangirling twitter! lol.  I created that account so that I could squee about HP and StarKids (and later Darren, Glee, etc.) and get it out of my system without overloading my poor husband's patience. So none of my RL friends and family know about that twitter. ha! Embarassed  

Poppy wrote:Today Tix's chance to win 2 Orchestra seats and a backstage meet & greet with Darren extends to the Los Angeles show!
You should totally try for these, Poppy!  I'd keep my fingers, toes and whatever else crossed for ya!
:fingers crossed

Lena Hall took over the TheaterMania instagram today and shared some really great behind-the-scenes pics:  

these are via fallenjunkie's tumblr: 
feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og7ixk9Zhb1qeegj9o1_500
theatermania: The most dysfunctional couple of all time! I love my wife! #lenahall #hedwigandtheangryinch #hedwigram #yitzogram #darrencriss
x

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og7hmdp33i1qeegj9o1_500
theatermania: My sexy wife! #darrencriss #hedwigandtheangryinch #hedwigram #yitzogram
x

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og7g8shM8e1qeegj9o1_500
lenarockerhall: #feet #shoes @titsofclay @lenarockerhall @hedwigonbway #darrencriss I have a confession to make… I don’t know Darren’s insta tag! sad face I apologize wifey! @hollywoodpantagestheatre

lol.  Just change the # to a @ and you've got Darren's instagram, Lena.  So close and yet so far . . .  :big grin

feet - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 6 Tumblr_og7cbxYnjL1qeegj9o1_500

theatermania: #selfie with my 5th wife from opening night! #darrencriss #lenahall #yitzogram #hedwigram #hedwigtour #hedwigandtheangryinch @hedwigonbway

x

There are some other great pics and videos from Lena's takeover, so it would be interesting to click to theatermania's instagram and check them out!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum