Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

So sorry for the double post, but . . . 

Someone is selling their SECOND ROW CENTER orchestra ticket  for the same day I will be seeing it! And she must have bought her ticket early because it is not the hiked-up $212 central orchestra prices they now have; hers is just $115.  My tickets are not bad (off to the left side, Row D), but SECOND ROW CENTER! Help me people…talk me back from the ledge that will have me abandoning my wonderful husband for the performance, because I'm like . . .
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Pydo5qj

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 ZMJ2Tym

:laughing

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lilikoiluv wrote:Someone is selling their SECOND ROW CENTER orchestra ticket  for the same day I will be seeing it! And she must have bought her ticket early because it is not the hiked-up $212 central orchestra prices they now have; hers is just $115.  My tickets are not bad (off to the left side, Row D), but SECOND ROW CENTER! Help me people…talk me back from the ledge that will have me abandoning my wonderful husband for the performance, because I'm like . . .
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Pydo5qj

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 ZMJ2Tym

Um, I think Darren and Stephen said it all, Lilikoiluv.  I mean, how often does one get a chance to see him up soooo close.   I saw him six rows from the stage on Broadway in an aisle seat (of Center Orchestra, to the right end of Center Orchestra) and it was fantastic to see his facial expressions so close.  But SECOND row!!!  It's too hard to beat that.   (Sorry, hubbie.)   And I'm sure you can sell your ticket.

Welcome back from your trip, btw, Lilikoiluv!    So nice to hear you had a wonderful time! 

Lilikoiluv wrote:
I've been trying to keep my hopes and theorizing regarding his comment about 2017, but Darren never lets things lip like that unless things are pretty much a done deal, so I'm excited! 
And YES! to everything you mentioned above, Poppy! No EP for me though, I desperately need want him to release a full album! I'll also continue to hope that he'll have the opportunity to workshop a new dramatic play that makes it way to Broadway. I'll also take a new comedy or musical too, but I think he would so relish the challenge of a dramatic play role. *crosses fingers for any and all of these to happen*

Yes!  I've been trying to keep my hopes in check, but like you said, it is unusual for Darren to let things like that slip.  And combine that with Tim Davis being given the ok, to post an instagram (on August 24) about working with Darren on a project, AND additionally, looking at Darren's recent haircut videos (which as Lin pointed out, seems to indicate something relevant is about to happen, given that he chose the same day of the month--September 18--as the haircut photos for Glee six years ago), . . .  well, it just sounds like something is up.

haha!  Ok, Lilikoiluv, no EP for you.  :amused   I prefer a full album too (but I'll take an EP too, or even a single).  

Oh yes!   I would be so happy if Darren workshopped a dramatic play too!  I think if Darren brought one of his own theater pieces to Broadway, or off-Broadway, whether it is a musical or a dramatic play (or a comedy), as long as it originated from him, I would be so happy.  But at the same time, I agree, I am really interested in seeing him in a dramatic play, since except for White Rabbit Red Rabbit, he hasn't done that yet. 

And even if he didn't workshop his own project, but is cast in an original theater production and not as a replacement (prefer a play, but a musical would be good too), I'll be very happy.  Having his own project being workshopped would be even better!

Lilikoiluv wrote:Have I mentioned that I'm trying to keep my excitement, hopes, and theorizing in check?  Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 1692114053 Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 1021284439

haha!   It's hard not to get our hopes up high, isn't it?    But it really does seem as if Darren is breaking away from  his modus operandi, which usually is to be silent, until an announcement happens at the last minute (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl).   Instead, he's giving little spoilers to his fans.  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lilikoiluv, another benefit of sitting up close, beside being able to see all of Darren's wonderful facial expressions, is that Darren has been noted (by fans) as making eye contact with certain audience members.  I really do think he looks for a friendly face or an engaged audience member to focus on.  (I could be imagining it, but I thought he made eye contact with me at the time I saw him on Broadway.) 

Let us know what you decide!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour at SHN Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco:   October 2 - 30, 2016.

From dailydarrennews:

Ohhh, Hedwig prep!  applause  Is that his foot, with the green socks?
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe0hv9uAOL1uetdyxo1_500
Via Darren’s Snapchat - September 24, 2016
September 24 2016

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe0po3jyc51uetdyxo1_500
September 24 2016

Thanks for the update, Michael Mayer!  :big grin

And Darren has his Hedwig nail polish back on!   :happy face   thumbs up
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe1438sHbT1uetdyxo1_1280

Global Citizen Festival - September 24, 2016 | Source
September 24 2016

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hedwig, California-style!  :amused 

From dailydarrennews:

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe1penkzrg1uetdyxo1_500
steven_perfidia: And now I’m comin for you .
Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour !! San Francisco here I come…
September 25 2016
dailydarrennews

A great way of supporting HRC on October 4, through Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe1sf4tMSc1uetdyxo1_1280

hrcsf: Don’t forget that October 4th is HRC Night with @shnsf at the Golden Gate Theatre! Be sure to use promo code: HRC1 $10 of proceeds will go towards fighting for equality and fairness!  heart heart #Equality #Theatre #Hedwig #darrencriss #LGBTQ #Lesbian #Gay #Bisexual #Transgender #Queer heart heart
September 25 2016

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Darren's Calendar:

September 27       Special event for SHN Members, a conversation with Darren, Lena Hall and Stephen Trask at the Orpheum Theatre.  7-8 pm.  Log into SHN Account

October 2-30       Hedwig & the Angry Inch. SF:   Tickets

October 19              Interview at St. Ignatius.  7 pm. RSVP.  Tickets

November 1-27    Hedwig & the Angry Inch.  L.A.:    Tickets

From @DarrenArmy:

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Very nice article in the Mercury News.  I really enjoyed hearing from Darren's theater mentors when he was growing up in SF.   I also loved reading how much it meant to Darren to be able to share this experience of playing his dream role of Hedwig with his mentors and his friends and family in his hometown.  Before reading this article, I wasn't sure when Darren started with ACT.  I learned he started at age 9 and he was involved with them for nine years.

The Mercury News wrote:
Stoked Bay Area native Darren Criss brings 'Hedwig' to hometown crowd

When Darren Criss was 14, he used to sneak down to the basement of his family’s San Francisco house to watch the 2001 cult classic flick “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” with his brother. He always felt like a delinquent, terrified of what his mom would think if she caught him getting his glam on with this tale of a transgender rock diva.

Now, the actor who cut his teeth at San Francisco’s American Conservatory Theater before having a breakthrough as Blaine on the hit Fox show  “Glee,” is returning to the Bay Area to put his own stamp on Hedwig, the “internationally ignored song stylist.”

Criss launches the national tour of the Tony-winning Broadway revival, stepping into the stilettos previously filled by stars such as Neil Patrick Harris and Taye Diggs. The 29-year-old, who has long considered himself a hardcore Hed-head, will share the stage with another San Francisco native, Lena Hall, who nabbed a Tony for her turn as Yitzhak on Broadway. “Hedwig” rages Oct. 2-30 at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Theatre as part of the SHN Broadway series.

“As a fan, it’s so cool for me to get to be part of the ‘Hedwig’ tribe,” says the down-to-earth Criss, during a break in rehearsals, “It’s so badass to be part of this crew. It’s been a total joy for me. And now I get to share this experience with everyone I grew up with and my mentors. It’s a full circle moment, for sure, a homecoming.”

The Emmy-nominated actor/songwriter may be best known as a TV “it boy” for “Glee” but he’s been a theater geek since he was 9. That’s when he started at ACT’s Young Conservatory, where he honed his craft for nine years, before going on to star in musicals at 42nd Street Moon. It was the origin of his love for the stage.

“The Young Conservatory was a big part of my life,” he says. “I grew up there.”

From the start, he took the theater seriously, learning everything he could about digging deep into a role, paying your dues as part of a repertory and not getting distracted by the vagaries of celebrity.

“Even as a very young boy, he possessed an extraordinary imagination, significant musical gifts, transformational acting talent and a very bright light behind the eye,” says Craig Slaight, director of ACT’s Young Conservatory. “He compelled attention. And his abundant joy from all of the work was contagious. As he grew, all of this sharpened and deepened.”

Hedwig has been the role of a lifetime for Criss, who got his degree in theater at the University of Michigan. His favorite number from this habit-inducing score remains “The Long Grift” although it’s not even one of his songs.

“Not to sound too pretentious, but this is like Hamlet or Mama Rose, once you play this role, it stays with you forever,” says Criss. “The trick is to capture the universality of Hedwig, to get the audience to see past the makeup to the hurt inside.”

“Hedwig” is the sort of show that throws genre out the window. It’s a hard-driving alt-rock jam that traces the story of a young gay man in 1980s East Germany who is desperate to get over the wall. He ends up getting a botched sex change operation in order to marry an African American GI and escape to the West. The GI doesn’t last but the “angry inch” is his forever. A musical for people loathe musicals, “Hedwig” demands equal parts glam rock star and gritty character actor.

The gender fluid rock goddess is just the kind of role Criss yearned for. Aware that he might get pigeonholed as a teen heartthrob after “Glee,” Criss is trying to reach out for roles that push his boundaries as an actor. On Broadway, he’s starred in “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” as well as “Hedwig.”

“I never wanted to be a star, I’ve always just wanted to work, to be a working actor, and this has been a dream role for me,” says Criss, “It’s almost operatic, almost Shakespearean but there’s also this (expletive) great rock music. It’s such a blast.”

“Hedwig” creator and original star John Cameron Mitchell has given Criss his seal of approval, dubbing him “the sweetest, hippest straight queer boy on the block.”

That meant the world to Criss who considers Mitchell “the ultimate Hedwig, now and forever.” Indeed, he was tentative about taking over the Farrah hair at first but as he watched other actors play the part, he realized it was a honor “to be part of that passing of the torch.”

Indeed, Slaight, who has been a Hedwig fan since Mitchell first started riffing the character at parties in NYC, says Criss has the fishnet diva in his bones.

“Darren is the most transformable and thrilling of all the Hedwigs I’ve seen,” says Slaight. “He brings enormous vocal dynamics from rock to ballad, unique and deeply resonant character choices, much heart and extraordinary humor.”

“He just simply has star quality,” agrees Greg MacKellan, co-founder of 42nd Street Moon, “It’s why he took off so quickly on ‘Glee, and why he’s continued to shine in his other performances. Although he has impressive training, you can’t learn star quality.”

Getting to take the wig out of the box in his hometown is the uber fanboy experience.

“This city knows and loves ‘Hedwig’ all too well,” he says, “Once I knew they were going to bring it to San Francisco, I knew it had to be me.”

Contact Karen D’Souza at kdsouza@bayareanewsgroup.com. Read her at www.mercurynews.com/author/karen-dsouza/ and follow her at Twitter.com/karendsouza4

September 27, 2016
--

‘HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH’
By John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask, presented by SHN
When: Sunday through Oct. 30
Where: Golden Gate Theatre, 1 Taylor St., San Francisco
Tickets: $45-$212; 888-746-1799, www.shnsf.com

I love these quotes in particular:

From Craig Slaight, the director of ACT's Young Conservatory:
Craig Slaight wrote:"Even as a very young boy, he possessed an extraordinary imagination, significant musical gifts, transformational acting talent and a very bright light behind the eye,” says Craig Slaight, director of ACT’s Young Conservatory. “He compelled attention. And his abundant joy from all of the work was contagious. As he grew, all of this sharpened and deepened.”

"He compelled attention."   "And his abundant joy from all of the work was contagious."  Yup, I agree with you, Craig.

From Greg MacKellan, co-founder of 42nd Street Moon:
Greg MacKellan wrote:
“He just simply has star quality,” agrees Greg MacKellan, co-founder of 42nd Street Moon, “It’s why he took off so quickly on ‘Glee, and why he’s continued to shine in his other performances. Although he has impressive training, you can’t learn star quality.”

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hope we get some news tonight from the SHN event.  :fingers crossed   :happy face

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Wow!  I am so happy to see so many pics and even youtube videos of tonight!  We are so lucky.  Ha!  It made me laugh when Lena was surprised to see a sea of cell phones being held up to tape them (welcome to Darren Criss's social media-happy fans).   And awww.   What Stephen said at the beginning of the first video (Sugar Daddy)  when he talked so highly of Darren and that he asked Darren at Neil Patrick Harris's first night.  :cry

From dailydarrennews:

Darren sounds really good.  And I love the 3-part harmonies between Darren, Lena and Stephen.  So special.

Darren Criss, Stephen Trask and Lena Hall performing Sugar Daddy
September 28 2016

Darren Criss, Stephen Trask and Lena Hall performing Midnight Radio
September 28 2016

stinsoncriss:
Midnight Radio at SHN Coversation with Stephen Trask, Lena Hall, and Darren Criss
September 28 2016   (Source)

September 27 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe72l6xrFe1uetdyxo1_1280
@shnsf .@stephentrask @LenaRockerHall & @DarrenCriss an acoustic “Sugar Daddy” & “Midnight Radio” from @HedwigOnBway#HedwigSHN
September 27 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe74gqWSJt1uetdyxo1_1280
@scottkaneSF .@LenaRockerHall @DarrenCriss @stephentrask from @HedwigOnBway absolutely killed acoustically on the @shnsf stage tonight. #Hedwig
September 28 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe73obUX2b1uetdyxo1_500
Nick Pitera
  Amazing getting to hear @DarrenCriss @LenaRockerHall @stephentrask perform some @HedwigOnBway tonight! Can’t wait to see the show! @shnsf
September 27 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe71sztRMG1uetdyxo1_1280
via SHN’s Snapchat on September 27th, 2016
September 27 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe716nUSDO1uetdyxo1_1280
fionnapple @therealadamsavage +@darrencriss + @lenarockerhall +@stephentrask = too much fun! thanks for this, @shnsf! #hedwigshn
September 27 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe794yugCc1uetdyxo2_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe794yugCc1uetdyxo4_r1_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe794yugCc1uetdyxo5_r1_1280
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe794yugCc1uetdyxo6_r1_1280
Darren Criss with Lena Hall & Stephen Trask at In Conversation event on September 27th, 2016 [x/x/x/x]
September 28 2016
dailydarrennews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe72qdrto11uetdyxo8_r1_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe72qdrto11uetdyxo9_r1_1280
Darren Criss with Lena Hall & Stephen Trask at In Conversation event on September 27th, 2016 [x|x]
September 28 2016
dailydarrenenews

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe707mlE4H1uetdyxo1_500

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe707mlE4H1uetdyxo2_r1_500

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe707mlE4H1uetdyxo3_r1_500

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe707mlE4H1uetdyxo4_r1_500
September 27 2016

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:41 am; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

More pics from tonight's SHN event.  :happy face

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe6zipVIjy1uetdyxo1_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe6zipVIjy1uetdyxo2_1280
@shnsf .@HedwigOnBway’s @darrencriss @stephentrask & @lenarockerhall have arrived at the SHN Orpheum Theatre!   #HedwigSHN

@TitsofClay It’s backstage at the Orpheum @DarrenCriss @stephentrask @LenaRockerHall @InXanadu Is that Davis Binder?
September 27 2016
daiydarrennews

ha!  :big grin
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe6sk9cGzB1uetdyxo1_500

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe79ewEgk51uetdyxo1_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe79ewEgk51uetdyxo2_r1_500
@bamitslily: I guess I’m a paparazzi now. @DarrenCriss #HedwigSHN

charuki: Oh hello Darren! #hedwig #hedwigandtheangryinch #darrencriss #glee #soskinnyinperson #fanboying #celebritysighting
September 28 2016

You can see how slender Darren looks in these pics.  He really watched his weight for these performances.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

September 27, 2016

From dailydarrennews:
Stephen Trask wrote:

Darren’s really good which is the reason why I asked him after Neil’s first night ‘Would you come and do [Hedwig] and 'cause I couldn’t think of anybody else.

- Stephen Trask at ‘Hedwig In Conversation’ on September 27th, 2016

In the video, you hear more clearly the dialogue between them at the beginning of the video.  At around point 0:45, you hear Stephen say the above quote about Darren.  

I came across the below quote (from February 2015) from the Wall Street Journal.  David Binder is in one of the photos with Darren, Stephen and Lena (above).

The Wall Street Journal wrote:
The casting of Mr. [Darren] Criss is interesting — he’s a lesser-known star than his predecessors, who include Neil Patrick Harris and Michael C. Hall. But producer David Binder says Mr. Criss, who attended the very first preview of “Hedwig” and saw each subsequent Hedwig (there have been four so far) was always a consideration for the role.

“We’ve been talking to him about this since day one,” says Mr. Binder.

— The Wallstreet Journal (x)
February 17, 2015
DCN
via darrencrisshedwig

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Some more great videos:

Beautiful close up!!!

maichan808:
I was fortunate enough to get tickets to SHN In Conversation with Darren Criss, Lena Hall and Hedwig co-creator, Stephen Trask. I thought it was just going to be a talk, but they treated us to this acoustic “crusty nugget” performance of Sugar Daddy. We weren’t supposed to record, but Adam Savage (the moderator) told everyone to get their phones out for this SO HOW COULD I NOT COMPLY :big grin
dailydarrennews

yanks02:
Lena Hall, Darren Criss, Stephen Trask singing Sugar Daddy from the Hedwig in Conversation in San Francisco on September 27, 2016.

yanks02:
Lena Hall, Darren Criss, Stephen Trask singing Midnight Radio at the Hedwig in Conversation in San Francisco on September 27, 2016.

Nice pics!
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo1_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo2_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo3_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo4_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo5_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo6_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo9_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo7_1280

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe7mq4i6VH1qlbe4wo8_1280
yanks02:
Darren Criss, Lena Hall, and Stephen Trask at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco, September 28, 2016 - Hedwig in Conversation.
dailydarrennews

-

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy

It's getting close!  

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe8bvsFfQy1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost lenarockerhall

And here we go!!! First day of tech! #yitzogram #hedwigram #hedwigonbway #hedwigandtheangryinch #hedwigonbroadway #hedwigontour #titsofclay #hedwigonbway http://ift.tt/2cWodCI

How exciting!  applause

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From @DarrenArmy

SHN posted a video! 

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy

:amused
Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe8onwCw8p1ubd9qxo1_1280
# Repost @hedwigonbway
Hey, Sugar Daddy, Hansel needs some sugar in his bowl… http://ift.tt/2daSVLq

I don't know if this was posted before.  Nice article about Darren.  There's some new info in there; it seems Darren actually spoke to the writer on the phone.  It's cute that Darren's mom was missing Hedwig.  It does sound as if he would have been in the role of Hedwig at an earlier stage, if he was not still with Glee.   What's very interesting to me, is that it sounds like SF and L.A. shows are going have some changes tweaked from the Broadway show, in terms of how Darren will perform.  Can't wait to see it!  Lilikoiluv will be the first to see it!  

The Bay Area Reporter wrote:
Darren Criss comes full circle

When Darren Criss was starring in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway, he could hear his parents in the audience laughing at one risque joke or another. "And I'd be, like, guys, what I just said was terrible. You should be scolding me." His parents may be "a little bit old-fashioned," but after his run as the transgendered rocker had ended, "My mom was always telling me, 'I miss Hedwig. I miss Hedwig.' Had you told my 16-year-old self that my mom would be anticipating the next time I got to do this character in this movie I was watching in the basement, I'd say you're crazy."

Starting Oct. 2, Criss' mother will get her wish, and she'll only have to travel across town to the Golden Gate Theatre, rather than across the continent. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is beginning its post-Broadway tour in his hometown, and Criss made sure that he would be part of it as soon as he got wind of it. He'll play Hedwig in San Francisco and then Los Angeles before it travels on with another actor as its star.

"The thought of someone else doing it in San Francisco just seemed so wrong," Criss said by phone from New York, where he was in rehearsals for the upcoming run. "By the time my run on Broadway was over, I just didn't feel done with the role, and the fact that I get to resurrect it in my hometown is a very poetic way to finally put the heels aside. It's a full-circle moment for me."

Criss got his start on San Francisco stages before he had even reached his teen years, including three musicals with 42nd Street Moon. "It was my first interaction with any kind of professional theater," he said, "and I think it made me grow up faster than a lot of my peers because I was at the theater with 30somethings, and staying out late, and going with them to a diner after rehearsals."

In those days, he was playing urchins, orphans and babes on Broadway, and he would become the youngest of the six actors to play Hedwig on Broadway during its recent run. He began lobbying to play Hedwig from the moment he heard that the John Cameron Mitchell-Stephen Trask musical was headed to Broadway in 2014 with Neil Patrick Harris as its star. "I did everything in my power to do it, and I mean everything," he said. "In fact, it would have been sooner had I not been shooting Glee ."

The role of the "internationally ignored song stylist" from East Germany, "a slip of a girlyboy" before a botched sex-change operation, was quite a leap from his role as a schoolboy on Glee. He joined the cast of the hit show in its second season as the wholesomely gay Blaine Anderson, who became the love interest of another gay glee-clubber in a storyline that led to their marriage by the time the series ended in 2015.

Glee instantly sent his career into orbit, and earned him special attention in the gay community. He "came out" as straight in 2011 because, he told Out magazine, "I think it's more empowering to everybody, including myself, if I'm articulate about identifying myself as a straight male playing a gay character."

In Hedwig, he's playing a character of indefinable sexuality who arrives on stage looking like a woman and makes a final exit as a man. In-between, the audience learns her story during a concert, as the musical moves between monologues and glam-rock songs. Hedwig shares the stage with her husband and backup singer, Yitzhak, a former drag queen whom she both depends on and abuses. Lena Hall, another San Francisco native, won a Tony Award for her performance as Yitzhak. She had left the Broadway production by the time Criss joined it, but she's returning to the show for the SF and LA runs.

"We both kind of lean to the rock-n-roll sides of our singing," Criss said, "so to be able to put those two things together is fun, and it makes it something new for both of us. She worked with a lot of different actors as Hedwig, so now she's kind of reconfiguring her muscle memory to what I do." Hall will also play Hedwig at one performance a week, with an understudy taking her place as Yitzhak.

"The cool thing about doing the show on tour is that we've had a year-and-a-half to reconsider a lot of things that were locked in on Broadway," he said. "After notes today, I said, 'How come you never said that to me the last time, because I would have played it completely differently?' And it was, like, oh yeah, at the time we were just trying to get you into the show. I was taking from the hodgepodge of the actors who had come before me, but now we've all had a clean reset."

Not that Criss didn't feel like he made the role his own on Broadway. "I never felt like I was doing someone else's show. There were plenty of moments that were definitely unique to me. The role has been added to and taken away from by all the people who have done Hedwig, and it's fun to be part of that small club."

When Criss first joined the Broadway company, a joke was inserted that acknowledged that he was a younger Hedwig than his predecessors. "It never got any response," said the 29-year-old actor. "The people were, like, why did you take me out of the story? It was jarring. Whatever the age of the actor, Hedwig comes on full force and you're transported into her story. It's the kind of part that just possesses whoever's playing it."

Hedwig and the Angry Inch will run Oct. 2-30 at the Golden Gate Theatre. Tickets are $55-$212. Call (888) 746-1799 or go to shnsf.com.

The Bay Area Reporter
Richard Dodds
September 29, 2016

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total

I'm just loving all of the photos and articles we are getting as we get closer to the tour's opening night! Seeing the makeup table with the glue stick and all actually made me eek out loud! lol. And Darren's Hedwig nails are back! I'm also enjoying the little background/BTS tidbits that we are getting. Thank you for posting them all, Poppy!  bow to you

I'm so glad we also are getting some great pics and videos from the conversation with Stephen, Lena, and Darren.  What an incredible event for those that got to attend! 

The @shnf twitter had tweeted that they had taken HD video of the event and that we would love it, and true to their word, they're starting to post them on youtube!  So far, they have the trio singing and all of the bantering before and after. That little quote from Stephen about Darren at the beginning is priceless.  I love how they are loving and enjoying singing together here. The video is close-up and the audio is so clear:

Here's hoping that they'll post the entire conversation portion of the event too!   :fingers crossed

Thank you also, Poppy, for your support during my second row Hedwig ticket dilemma--although you were supposed to talk be away from the ledge, no push me over!  :amused

I decided not to get the ticket though.  One of the things I was looking foward to (besides, you know, DARREN...and HEDWIG...and DARREN) was enjoying the show with my husband.  He doesn't know much about it, and I know that he's going to be blown away!

Coincidentally, St. Ignatius' "An Evening with Darren Criss '05" is happening in the evening of the same day.  Thanks so the fantastic DDN reporting, we've gotten tickets to attend that event too!  

I can't believe that after a little over seven years I will finally get to experience Darren performing live--as Hedwig no less! EEK! Plus, we'll also get to enjoy his chat at his alma mater that evening! Double EEK! I am just beside myself with the excitement and anticipation of it all!  excited

Edited to add:   :I made a mistake Oops, it takes my computer a bit to load up all of the pics and videos in these threads, and I now see that the ever-efficient Poppy has already posted this same video above. My apologies for the double post! Embarassed

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Lilikoiluv!

I'm enjoying all the photos, articles and behind-the-scenes moments too (love that pic of the makeup table)!   It's so exciting.  Lena Hall is very good about social media, so she's helping getting people excited.  :happy face  Darren posted his "Hedwig eyes" on his Facebook too.   And thank you for posting all your wonderful posts too, Joy!   heart  I appreciate it!

I am loving that the blue Hedwig nail polish is back!

That SHN event was such a wonderful idea, wasn't it?   Loved the videos of the performances of the two songs.  (Too bad it wasn't open to the pubic, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of a special event rewarding its members.)    It was especially lovely to hear Stephen Trask harmonizing with Darren and Lena. Great video posted by SHN, like you said, really good quality.  And aw.  Yes, that little comment from Stephen Trask about Darren was touching.   He has been so supportive of Darren.  And yes, I really would love to see the conversation between the three!  Cross our fingers, like you said, that they post  a video!

haha!  Sorry for trying to drag you over the ledge, Lilikoiluv, in terms of that Hedwig ticket.  I'm no help in these kinds of things.  :amused   Thank goodness you stayed strong.    You will have a beautiful evening with your husband, with both of you enjoying Darren's performances together!   Maybe he'll even get carwashed . . . :big grin  One can only hope.

Lilikoiluv wrote:Coincidentally, St. Ignatius' "An Evening with Darren Criss '05" is happening in the evening of the same day.  Thanks so the fantastic DDN reporting, we've gotten tickets to attend that event too!  

I can't believe that after a little over seven years I will finally get to experience Darren performing live--as Hedwig no less! EEK! Plus, we'll also get to enjoy his chat at his alma mater that evening! Double EEK! I am just beside myself with the excitement and anticipation of it all!  Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 3173298380

OMGOMGOMG!  Lilikoiluv, it's so wonderful that you are going to that St. Ignatius event!!!  :bravo   :very happy Thank goodness for the wonderful folks of DDN, who reported it so early!!!  Ah, that's gonna be a great event to attend!  How often do we see Darren back at  his old school, being interviewed by one of his favorites persons?!     (Bonus that St. Ignatius supposedly has some resemblance to Dalton Academy.)     I really would have loved to attend too.  This is an event where something similiar to it may never happen again.  It is  going to be very special.  Lilikoiluv, I am so happy for you (and somewhat envious too Razz ).    I hope you will share with us your experience.    Congrats, Lilikoiluv!  clapping hands   Well done!

(ha!  No worries, about that video.  I do that all the time.  I just really appreciate your being on top of things and bringing it  here to share with us.  Thank you, Lilikoiluv, for supporting this little forum. :hug )

And also thank you to Lin, dusty, and Jeremy for coming here and posting your comments too.  I really do appreciate all your support.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I (and anyone else who wants to) will be posting here until Hedwig performances start on Sunday (October 2), and then after that I'll be posting in one or more of the other 4 threads for the SF and L.A. tour of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. 

From dailydarrennews:Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oea63zIu6U1uetdyxo1_500
Link
September 29 2016

So many wigs!

Hedwigonbway - The Hedwig and the Angry Inch Tour in SF and L.A. (Promotion, Pre-Performances & Miscellaneous Information) - Page 4 Tumblr_oe8wlsUywi1qbool4o1_500
mypatronusisklaine:
ariannephillips: wigging out with @pott28 #dressrehearsals #hedwigandtheangryinch #reunited #hedwigfamily @hedwigonbway
September 29 2016   (Source)

-

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total

I don't have a lot of time for posting at the moment, but
Lilikoiluv wrote:Here's hoping that they'll post the entire conversation portion of the event too!    :fingers crossed
I saw that you got us confirmation on Twitter, well done! applause

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum