Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren's TV Projects for 2017

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

81DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: Darren's TV Projects for 2017 Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:Darren's MM seems to be some comic vilain or some frenemy and I love that kind of character. Next year, we'll have a full season of him playing a pure vilain, anyway.

Yes, I think Darren described the MM as a trickster, so I'm imagining a rascally, mischievous villain.  If you are a Star Trek fan, maybe sort of in line with the character "Q," who was an all-powerful being that had a wicked sense of humor, but was dangerous as well.

And yes, we will see the scary, real-life villain in Versace:  American Crime Story, so I'm good with a fun villain in The Flash.

Spoiler:

82DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty The Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

EW.com wrote:
Experience The Flash-Supergirl musical crossover through John Barrowman's eyes

March 18, 2017

Were you nervous coming in to do a dance scene like this?

Absolutely. I’m exceptionally confident vocally, I’m exceptionally confident when I’m on camera doing all the other stuff, but when it comes to a style of dancing that I’m not so confident about, I am very nervous, and I was very nervous this morning . . . But this? I was…no. For goodness sake, Darren [Criss] has been doing this on Glee for ages, and I watched him, I love him. He’s fantastic and I was a little nervous. That’s all I can say.

How do you think Music Meister compares to other villains we’ve seen on the show?

See I don’t see myself as a villain. I see myself as a misunderstood hero. The Music Meister, and this is the same way I feel with Merlyn, he’s a bad guy, but he’s actually doing something to help somebody, so there is method to his madness. The characters, Supergirl and Flash, don’t have to understand why they’re doing it to begin with, nor does anybody else in the world that we’ve created, but as long as the audience at home gets it, that’s what makes a good villain. And I think Darren does a really great job of that because he’s a little sly, he’s a little sneaky, but he tells them exactly to follow the script. “Just follow the script and you’ll be fine because you’re here to learn something.”

Can't wait to be introduced to the sneaky Music Meister!   Looking forward to his musical number!  It's going to be fun watching Darren dance too.  I think the performance that he does with Carlos and Jeremy Jordan is a big number, with lots of dancing.  Looks very fun! 

If you haven't seen any videos of Grant singing in a more Broadway-style of performing, you should google his name and Youtube.  He sounds very different from the pop-style singing he did on Glee.   I already know that Jeremy Jordan is an astounding vocalist, and I love Melissa's voice as well.   I watched Youtube videos of Victor Garber, Jesse Martin, John Barrowman, and Carlos.  Very amazing talents.  I especially am blown away by John Barrowman.  Listen to him in this video:

This is going to be so fun!

83DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: Darren's TV Projects for 2017 Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:12 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Poppy wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Darren's MM seems to be some comic vilain or some frenemy and I love that kind of character. Next year, we'll have a full season of him playing a pure vilain, anyway.

Yes, I think Darren described the MM as a trickster, so I'm imagining a rascally, mischievous villain.  If you are a Star Trek fan, maybe sort of in line with the character "Q," who was an all-powerful being that had a wicked sense of humor, but was dangerous as well.

And yes, we will see the scary, real-life villain in Versace:  American Crime Story, so I'm good with a fun villain in The Flash.

Spoiler:

I'm actually thinking about the space magician who appeared to Supergirl on Valentine's day.

Btw, when I was talking about the revelation, I was actually referring to the Melissa interview you have posted :

we don’t really know where he comes from or why he’s doing what he’s doing until the very end

So, it seems there is a revelation about MM at the end of the crossover. 

And Barrowman says MM want to "learn something" to Kara and Barry...

(Barrowman is indeed a good singer, btw)

84DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty The Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:I'm actually thinking about the space magician who appeared to Supergirl on Valentine's day.
Yes, I was thinking of him too, except he had a stalker-vibe which I disliked.  mad

Jeremy wrote:So, it seems there is a revelation about MM at the end of the crossover.

Should be interesting!  I wonder how they will explain where the MM came from.  I do think the MM's motivation for doing what he is doing relates to

Spoiler:

I wonder what the MM will help Kara understand?

Don't forget to record Supergirl tomorrow (Monday) and record The Flash on Tuesday on the CW (as well as record The Late Late Show with James Corden on CBS on Tuesday)!  Can't wait!

From dailydarrennews:

Nice words from Grant about Darren.  Darren was so good at making the new cast members feel welcome on the Glee set.

TV Insider wrote:
PaleyFest 2017: 'Arrowverse' Cast and Producers Tease What's to Come

March 19, 2017

For stars Melissa Benoist (Kara/Supergirl), Grant Gustin (Barry/The Flash) and guest star Darren Criss (Music Meister) the occasion marked a mini-Glee reunion. "I think you're in for a romping, rousing good time," Benoist says. "I didn't realize how much I missed Glee. It was such a fun show to work on, and obviously part of the zeitgeist, but doing that again, with the people I did that with on the show, it made me really nostalgic. It felt good to get those dancing shoes back on."

The pressure of the episode could have been overwhelming, but the trio also had former Glee choreographer Zach Woodlee on-hand to guide them for the Flash hour. "I did my best to not think about it until we started, or I would have been really nervous," Gustin says. "It was fun. The crew had so much fun, which really carried me through it. I never got to do anything with Melissa on Glee, so it was cool to do a duet and a tap number [here].  I hadn't tapped in like a decade, which was amazing."

"And Darren was the first actor I ever worked with on-camera, ever," Gustin continues. "I have a picture of us together from my first day on Glee framed in my apartment. I returned a book to Darren that he gave to me my first day on Glee: 'Camera Acting  for Dummies,' which explained what everyone's job was on set. And I've had it for six years! So I gave it back to Darren."

haha!  I love the way this article starts.   And I love the way Carlos talks about Darren, about how hard Darren works, and what Darren brings to the character of the MM. 
EW.com wrote:
The Flash-Supergirl musical crossover: Carlos Valdes on the non-Glee reunion of it all

March 19, 2017

While the upcoming FlashSupergirl musical crossover features a big Glee reunion between Grant Gustin, Melissa Benoist, and Darren Criss, there are also other rich connections that run deep within this cast — and they oddly have to do with genitalia.

It turns out, Criss went to college with The Flash star Carlos Valdes, and even before this highly anticipated hour, the duo were already making music together, specifically for a show called Me and My Dick. The crossover, however, will be a little more PC as The Flash (Gustin) and Supergirl (Benoist) find themselves trapped in a movie musical by the Music Meister (Criss), and their only means of escape are to play through the script, complete with singing and dancing.

[. . . ]

What can you tease us of what’s really going on in the movie musical?

Darren Criss, whom I went to college with — so weird — he plays Music Meister, who’s essentially the baddie of the episode. He puts Barry and Kara into this shared dream, this sort of nightmare. He brings them into this illusory world where their objective is to literally figure out the plot of this traditional musical comedy. It’s very self-aware. It takes place in their own heads. We embedded into the script this idea that Barry and his mom used to bond over musicals, musicals always made things better. And so, this plot is based on that idea of musicals not just as a form of escapism, but also as a form of emotional catharsis.

[. . . ]

You went to college with Darren. What was it like reuniting with him in this capacity?

Dude, it’s been such a hoot and it’s been such a blast. It’s like old times. It’s weird because I’m seeing worlds mesh before my eyes, like, worlds that are very separate. There’s my Flash life, these people that I’ve been working with for the last two to three years, and then there’s Darren, whom I used to goof off with in college and write musicals about genitalia. [Laughs] That’s what we used to do. So, it’s very weird to have to experience that through a work setting, but dude it’s so much fun. Honestly, he works so hard — it’s been a really enriching experience and I’m learning a lot from it.

How is the Music Meister different from some of the villains we’ve seen on the show before?

Given the tone of the broadly colored musical, I think fans can expect Music Meister to be someone colored along those lines, basically. Definitely very different. I mean, it’s Darren. He’s such a goof and so he brings that vivaciousness to this character that I think distinguishes him from the usually dour metahumans that we have to face. So, it’s been really entertaining watching him play this, like, semi-narcissistic sadistic Music Meister.

It was fun to learn that Carlos has a degree in musical theater.

85DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty The Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

We get to meet the possibly sadistic mischievous Music Meister tonight on Supergirl on the CW!  Yea!!

From Darren Criss Army:

A new promo video of the Supergirl episode tonight:
ETonline wrote:
EXCLUSIVE: Watch Darren Criss' Music Meister Pay 'Supergirl' a Vist ahead of 'The Flash' Musical Crossover!

March 20, 2017

Darren Criss is reuniting with former Glee co-stars Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist for some musical mischief on Tuesday’s The Flash-Supergirl musical crossover, but first, he’s gotta catch them!

In ET’s exclusive first look at the final moments of Monday’s Supergirl, fans get to see how Criss’ Music Meister bridges the gap between worlds to bring Barry Allen (Gustin) and Kara Zor-El (Benoist) back together.

Entertainment Tonight
March 20, 2017

This is going to be so fun!   Loved when Winn said:  "He looks fun."  haha!  "Toodles!" 

From dailydarrennews:

What a lovely, welcoming note from the costume folks.  Love the caligraphy-like writing too.  Very sweet!

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on4skd7QUi1uetdyxo1_1280
darrencriss Eyyyyu whassamattayaface, it’s me, Music Meister! Me, day 1, at my fitting with the wonderful @cwtheflash & @supergirlcw fam. Check out my debut tonight on Supergirl !
via dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

86DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty The Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:05 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

A promo video of The Flash musical crossover, "Duet."  

Don't beat up Wally! 

From dailydarrennews:

The Flash 3x17 Sneak Peek #3 “Duet” (HD) Season 3 Episode 17

haha!  Cute! :happy face
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on54feEoM71uetdyxo1_500
@DarrenCriss  We came from different worlds. But we came to werk. it. out. Check us out on @TheCWSupergirl 2nite at 8 PT! @ChristophrWood @MelissaBenoist
dailydarrennews

From Darren Criss Army:

Nice promo pic.  Love the little glittery magic floating above his hand.  :happy face

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on4y8pFkME1ubd9qxo1_400
https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/flash-supergirl-musical-crossover-photos/

DarrenCrissArmy

Very cute!

via Darren’s IG Stories, 3/20/17
www.instagram.com/darrencriss

via Darren Criss Army

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on5bhyvgTo1ubd9qxo1_1280
Via Darren’s IG Story 3/20/17

Watched Supergirl tonight.  The MM had a short little bit, which was exactly the scene shown in the ET video (see above in the previous post).  I must say my first impression of the MM is that he is very polite.  :amused  He said "thank you!"  to Supergirl when he took the little device (I think Winn said it was created by Cisco?) that opened up the portal.   Of course, it was not very nice to put Supergirl into a magic-induced coma. mad   Definitely a fun, campy, flamboyant character.   Darren's eyes are so large, the special effects they did to the MM's eyes, to show the spell that he cast over Supergirl were a little spooky. 

Can't wait until tomorrow to see the musical crossover on The Flash!

87DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty The Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Youtube version of the interview that Darren did with KTLA Morning News, courtesy of dailydarrennews:

Darren Criss on KTLA Morning News - March 17, 2017

88DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: Darren's TV Projects for 2017 Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 am

I always knew it was the eyes!

Fun little scene, it was worth it just for this gifset:
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on568oPHoR1qd9k4so2_250DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on568oPHoR1qd9k4so4_250
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on568oPHoR1qd9k4so1_250DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on568oPHoR1qd9k4so5_250
wouldyousingalong
Glee 02.16 // Supergirl 02.16

My mind was automatically completing the line already so I may have screamed a little when he actually said the second part, but I didn't realise it was both season 2, episode 16! excited I don't even think it was intentional, but it's messing with my head every time I see the gifs.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for posting that, Lin.  I would think that it has to be more than coincidence.  Maybe someone /some folks did this as a nod to Glee fans, especially since many of Darren's fans are Klaine fans (and Melissa and Grant have their Glee fans as well)?   I'm glad it made some fans happy.   :happy face

Today's the day, folks!  Don't forget to tune into The Flash on the CW tonight, to see Darren as the Music Meister!   Also tonight, Darren is on the The Late Late Show with James Corden on CBS.   So many goodies for Darren's fan! 

From Darren Criss Army:

Hope this works for international fans:  :fingers crossed

Flash Livestreams

grantgustinnews:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4
(Source: grantgustinnews, via grantgustinnews)
DarrenCrissArmy

From dailydarrennews:

The Flash | Darren Criss Interview | The CW

marysocontrary1:
  The Flash - Inside Duet

I love this graphic!
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6ug7F2fM1uetdyxo1_1280
@DarrenCriss  So according to this sign on my trailer door, Music Meister is… Blaine with a cane? @CW_TheFlash

ha!  Cute. 
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6oqjluhB1uetdyxo1_1280
via Darren’s Instagram stories

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6n65BtE21uetdyxo1_1280
@DarrenCriss  Awww guys shucks cut it out! #CowlKisses @CW_TheFlash

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6m01aYSk1uetdyxo1_500

March 21 2017

I love this pic!  Very cool!
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6iydS50d1uetdyxo1_1280

darrencriss ‪Tonight at 8pm PT, I’ll be live tweeting w/ the West Coast- 2nd night of the @cwtheflash / #supergirlcw crossover! Join me… or else!
dailydarrennews

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6g0nraiX1uetdyxo1_500

From Darren Criss Army:

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6o33SCxb1ubd9qxo1_1280

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6o33SCxb1ubd9qxo2_1280

Twitter wars heating up between the Flash and Supergirl writers ahead of the musical crossover!

EW.com wrote:
The Flash-Supergirl boss unveils origins of musical crossover

March 21, 2017

Set up that world for the viewers.
Barry and Kara are both whammied by the Music Meister, played by Darren Criss, and they wake up trapped inside an alternate dimension, which is a movie musical come to life. So they’re caught up in the plot of this musical, which involves gangsters and gun malls and a West Side Story setup with rival gangs and their kids falling in love.

[. . . ]

How does the Music Meister compare to other villains we’ve seen on the show before?

He’s certainly in love with his own villainy a lot more than others. He’s got a zest for life. He comes in and just sweeps them all off their feet, and he’s a bit of a showman, so it’s a lot of fun. Darren so brings him to life. I’m not sure who we would have gotten to do it if Darren had said no, but it turned out to be one of those things where we wanted Darren, and Darren actually wanted the part. He’d heard about it. It was very kismet, and it’s so much fun to see them all reunited from Glee.

Darren mentioned the one thing he missed out on was getting to provide some songs.

I know. I know. By the time we closed him, we were already down the path. The songs had been recorded, but hopefully this one will be a big success, and he’ll come back, and then we can do another one.

Are you guys interested in doing another one?

If we survive this one and the fans like it, as always with any of these things, we gauge the fan reaction to it. If it turns out to be a, “Yeah, that was cute, but don’t ever do that again,” we won’t. But who knows? Every time we do one of these things, like go to Earth 2 or have a musical episode, some of that stuff we gauge by the fan reaction. Like King Shark, people were so excited about that one minute with him, we were like, “Well, we’ve got to bring him back now!” So we’ll see what people say.

[. . . ]

The Flash airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

Yes, please, may we have the Music Meister on The Flash and Supergirl again?!!!  :love

How will they assess if this is something that fans liked?  By ratings?  By social media?  By reviews by critics? 

Ratings always go up for crossovers.  I hope there is a significant ratings increase for this crossover.  

Folks, if you are on social media, tweet up a storm about how much you liked Darren as the Music Meister and the musical episode!!

Tweet you want Darren to return as the Music Meister in another episode of The Flash!!

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

This gif is adorable.  Is that John Barrowman doubling over in laughter?

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6e3nW1IK1udy69jo1_500
 “It’s a Glee reunion.”
Source: 
chuckcriss.tumblr
via na-page

From dailydarrennews:

Cute video of Grant talking about Darren:

Access Hollywood wrote:
Grant Gustin on Reuniting With Flormer 'Glee' Co-Star Darren Criss on 'The Flash' Muscial Episode

Link:  http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/grant-gustin-on-reuniting-with-former-glee-co-star-darren-criss-on-the-flash-musical-episode/

Grant:  "Darren is just comfortable, confident Darren.  I think he did something really cool with the character." 

And a video of Candice talking about Darren and Glee fans.
Access Hollywood wrote:
Canduce Patton Talks 'The Flash' Musical Crossover Episode

Link:  http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/candice-patton-talks-the-flash-musical-crossover-episode/

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

Backstage at The Late Late Show 3/21/17 via Darren’s IG Story (Instagram.com/darrencriss)
DarrenCrissArmy

# Repost  @ashleypweston Meanwhile, in LA, #DarrenCriss looking so sharp and fresh for Spring for the #Corden show Thanks #jcrew for the great look!! #AWerk - http://ift.tt/2nzLZgq
DarrenCrissArmy

From dailydarennews:

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on74e6u7sE1uetdyxo1_500
source
dailydarrennews

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6nt3sD5U1uetdyxo1_500
@weplaycomputers​  Been a fan of this dude a long time, very excited to crash his show tonight! @latelateshow​
dailydarrennews

From Darren Criss Army:

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on6o9z7GqC1ubd9qxo1_1280

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 am; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

This is very cute.  heart 

Who’s the best singer on the cast…?
“…I think he’s my cutie pie: Darren Criss!”

John Barrowman on The Flash FB live about the crossover episode, 3/21/17

https://www.facebook.com/JohnBarrowmanMBE/videos/1478423015501449/

via DarrenCrissArmy

ha!  Poor Darren. Razz

“…Darren couldn’t get it right…”

John Barrowman talking about a dance scene with Darren and Carlos.

Via The Flash FB livestream about the musical crossover.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnBarrowmanMBE/videos/1478423015501449/

via Darren Criss Army

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on70yezbjI1uetdyxo1_500
If you enjoyed Darren as the Music Meister then let @FLASHtvwriters & @AJKreisberg know on Twitter. They’re awaiting feedback. | source

Guys, please tweet if you enjoyed the Music Meister and Darren in The Flash, and if you liked this musical episode!   Ask for the Music Meister to return in another episode!!  heart heart heart

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

The Flash (musical crossover with Supergirl) "Duet."  March 21, 2017

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed The Flash's episode tonight ("Duet").  So fun!  Love the music, loved the dancing, loved the humor and happiness.  My husband and I were having so much fun!  If we were not smiling from the wonderful singing, we were laughing from the funny lines.  My only wishes are:  (1)  Have Darren sing more, (2) We need a song written by Darren, and (3) More scenes with Darren.  :amused  

Loved how Darren played the Music Meister.  He was funny and mischievous, yet charming.   And he was also scary when he attacked Wally and Barry.   Favorite Line:  "Love is about letting  yourself be saved, not just about saving other people." 

One more point, I think I would have loved the musical even more if the plot seemed more organic, with a story focused a bit more on the Music Meister as his own character, with his own backstory, versus using the character of the Music Meister primarily as a vehicle to push Kara and Barry to an understanding of what they needed to do in terms of reconciling with their respective love interests (via the fantasy world of a movie musical).   The MM played the role of Cupid, a funny, omnipotent Cupid, who sees all, and thus saw 2 broken hearts that needed some help in being mended.  Having watched the animated Batman, the Brave and the Bold, The Mayhem of the Music Meister, I wanted just a little more focus on the character of the MM (and a little more singing by the MM--whose power over others in Batman, the Brave and the Bold was through his singing).    At the same time, I realize this is not Glee, and doing a musical crossover episode must had been a daunting task for the CW.  So all in all, a wonderful episode, very fun and sweet, and very entertaining.   I have missed The Flash being light and funny since Season 1 (please bring back the fun, light-hearted show that I fell in love with!).  

Darren and the Music Meister, in my humble opinion, must come back on The Flash (and Supergirl)!   He is omnipotent and all-seeing, is a speedster, can fly, and seems to absorb the powers of whichever superhero he casts his spell on.  Thus he is extremely powerful and dangerous--yet also is charismatic, funny, mischievous, colorful, a hopeless romantic, and also sings and dances on top of that!   The MM is one of the best "villains" of The Flash over all its seasons, and I am not saying that just because I'm a fan of Darren (I've watched The Flash since its pilot, and since Barry Allen first appeared on Arrow). 

Note:  Did you guys notice that this scene in this promo video was changed in the actual episode tonight?

I also remember that Darren said  in this interview (EW.com: The Flash-Supergirl musical crossover: Darren Criss details dastardly new villain) that they let him run loose a little bit, but that sometimes they asked him to dial it back a bit because they wanted to keep the tone within the world of The Flash and Supergirl.   I'm guessing that it was Darren's acting choices in the promo video above (Darren had perfect delivery of that last line, especially with his facial expression!), and that it was the director's choice in the scene that appeared in the actual episode tonight.  (Shhhhh.  My husband and I thought the scene in the promo video above was funnier, than what appeared in this scene in the actual episode tonight.   Note to The Flash powers-to-be:  Please have Darren as the MM return in another episode (or two or three) of The Flash, and please let Darren run loose even more.  He's very good at being funny.)

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

The Flash (musical crossover with Supergirl), "Duet."  March 21, 2017

I've been skimiming the reviews about tonight's episode on The Flash.  So far, I believe all of them have been favorable, although some of the reviewers had constructive suggestions (one of which was that ideally, there should have been more interaction between the Music Meister and Kara and Barry, and more singing by Darren).

CarterMatt.com wrote:
The Flash season 3 episode 17 review: Was 'Duet' a worthy musical?

March 22, 2017

The other big critique we have is that we wanted to see as much Criss’ Music Meister as possible, and there really wasn’t all that great of an opportunity to see the two parties share screen time with their former Glee actor. That was one of the real selling points for the story going in.

[. . . ]

Then, the Music Meister claimed that the entire purpose of his mission was to teach everyone to love each other. He wasn’t so much a villain as a psychiatrist who had a very demented way of getting people to work through their issues.

Nerdist wrote:
All the Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Songs, Ranked

March 21, 2017

Now that is how you do a musical episode of TV.

[. . . ]

And it. Was. Perfect. I laughed. I cried. I danced in my seat. I sang along. I clapped. And by the time the episode ended I was already asking for more. If The Flash and Supergirl teamed up for a musical episode every year, that still wouldn’t be enough.

[. . .]

We could go on and on about how Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist had the talent and the right background to carry such a high-concept episode, but that’s not why “Duet” worked so well (although it didn’t hurt). The main reason why this was such a successful endeavor for both shows is the big twist at the very end. It turned out that the Music Meister (Gustin and Benoist’s fellow Glee alum Darren Criss) came to National City and then Central City to find and help Barry and Kara get back together with their respective exes. He wasn’t a villain after all! He just wanted to teach the two superheroes a lesson about love (and teach a PTSD-ridden Kid Flash/Wally West [Keiynan Lonsdale] a lesson about overcoming his fears). It was all about loooooove!

Den of Geek! wrote:
The Flash Season 3 Episdoe 17 Review: Duet

Mar 21, 2017

I hate musicals. I never watched Glee.

[. . . ]

Despite my misgivings, "Duet" was kinda delightful.

. . .  But then again, what the hell else were they going to do? Give us some third rate villain of the week who wouldn't be half as charming as Darren Criss' Music Meister? No, I have to admit, "Duet" was the right move, and by the time everything wrapped up, it proved to be the right way to put the ongoing Barry/Iris saga back on track.

[. . . ]

- So the Music Meister comes from an unexpected place. He was the villain on a couple of appropriately themed episodes of the excellent Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series. But...this wasn't quite the same guy, was it?

For real, what was he getting at at the end there? Is he from the Fifth Dimension like Mr. Mxyzptlk? Or is he the equivalent of the mysterious animator in Looney Tunes' "Duck Amuck" cartoon? That's the one where an animator puts a fourth wall breaking Daffy Duck through his paces, as the cartoon plays with its own format incessantly. At the end, the mystery animator is Bugs Bunny, manipulating reality to break his rival's chops. So is Music Meister supposed to be Greg Berlanti's meta stand-in, tonight? The guy who manipulates reality to give fans something they've wanted since these two were cast?

Or was I just too busy making notes about other stuff to miss a far more straightforward explanation of who he is? Forgive me if that's the case.

JoBlo.com wrote:
TV Review: The Flash- Season 3 episdoe 17 "Duet"

EPISODE 17: "Duet"

Musicals are not as universally beloved as some other genres but they have a solid history on the small screen with special episodes dedicated to showcasing characters breaking into song. The most famous genre series to have a musical episode is Buffy The Vampire Slayer whose episode is widely considered one of the best of all time. After the run of Glee, musical episodes have not been as common as the used to be, but this crossover between The Flash and Supergirl is one of the best hours The CW has ever put to screen. Bringing Glee veteran Darren Criss as the Music Meister to this reunion with former costars Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist along with stage veterans John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn from Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow), Victor Garber (Dr. Stein from Legends of Tomorrow), Jeremy Jordan (Supergirl), Jesse Martin and Carlos Valdes (The Flash) who all have experience on Broadway gives this episode an air of talent that some musical episodes do not garner with actors unaccustomed to the singing on screen.

[. . . ]

Back and safe, the Music Meister appears and reveals that he was never really a villain at all. Treated much like The Watcher from Marvel Comics, the Meister witnessed the sadness of Kara and Barry and decided to set up this elaborate dream to teach them a lesson about the power of love. He then disappears into thin air . . .

This was a review of the Supergirl episode that Darren appeared in as the Music Meister (On March 20, 2017).

Refinery29 wrote:
Supergirl Started The Glee Reunion We all Deserve

March 21, 2017

Before this week, there was one fact in the CW’s quartet of DC Universe series that went largely and criminally ignored: half of the show’s leads are Glee alums, meaning they’re harboring perfect pipes. The Flash’s Grant Gustin was Dalton Academy Warblers sometimes-villain Sebastian Smythe, while Supergirl’s blonde Melissa Benoist played the brunette Marley Rose.

The snubbing of these very important facts finally ends this week with a two-night musical crossover special between the superhero dramas — and none other than beloved New Directioner Darren Criss is serving as the bad guy. This is the closest fans are getting to the Glee reunion of their dreams.

Supergirl kicked off the event in the final moment of season 2’s “Star-Crossed,” when it’s announced an unusual prisoner is entering the DEO, the alien-monitoring government agency Supergirl-slash-Kara Danvers is a member of. Of course, Criss and his handsome face walks through the door in chains.

In a too-perfect moment, Supergirl’s BFF Winn (Smash's Jeremy Jordan) announces, “Ooh, he looks fun,” because obviously Darren Criss is fun. The new baddie, who is DC Comics character the Music Meister, immediately reveals he let himself get caught for a grand evil plan and begins hypnotizing Kara. Then he opens up a portal to pull The Flash into all of this craziness, since the speedster exists in an alternate universe.

[. . . ]

The continuation of Kara’s alternate reality conundrum will continue in The Flash season 3’s “Duet,” when fastest man alive Barry Allen joins her.

[. . . ]

Until “Duet” airs we’ll keep our fingers crossed Criss’s Music Meister also gets in a few bars to make this a complete Warblers-New Directioners collaboration.

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Darren keeping his promise to live tweet during The Flash tonight.  :amused

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on78365anm1uetdyxo1_500
@DarrenCriss  And there ya have it, my @GLEEonFOX /@UMich / broadway worlds all colliding together on @CW_TheFlash.

@DarrenCriss  Yes @Tha_Los, I purposely chose the derpiest face I could.

Note:  I loved listening to Jeremy's voice tonight.   He is so amazing.  And Carlos did well too.  The Broadway vets (John Barrowman, Victor Garber, and Jesse Martin) all were wonderful of course, as expected!  Melissa sung beautifully, and Grant's performance of the Pasek & Paul song was touching. 

Aw, this is sweet.

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on77p0NcQ31uetdyxo1_500
link to Darren’s tweet

Candice did so well in the episode!  Loved her accent! 
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on778rP3tU1uetdyxo1_500
@DarrenCriss  I mean I don’t wanna start any beef but this MIGHT be the cutest pic I took on set- @candicekp if BarIris doesn’t work out, hit a Meister up
dailydarrennews

Darren did a posting spree of videos.  It's funny, not sure if his "victims" are actually puzzled by what Darren says to them (they look unsure of how to react), or if they are acting that way.  But either way, it's funny!  Darren is just like the MM:  Such a rascal!

@DarrenCriss  #PunFun with @JeremyMJordan #TheFlash @CW_TheFlash
dailydarrennews

@DarrenCriss  #PunFun with @Tha_Los #TheFlash @CW_TheFlash

dailydarrennews:
@DarrenCriss  #PunFun with @MelissaBenoist #TheFlash
via na-page

dailydarrennews:
@DarrenCriss  #PunFun with @GrantGust #TheFlash
via na-page

@DarrenCriss  Hey @Tha_Los

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on74qspkRt1uetdyxo1_1280
@DarrenCriss  “How YOU doin” @grantgust Bow chicka wow w… ahh dammit @MelissaBenoist

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on70ayEhFY1uetdyxo1_500

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Inside the 'Flash' and 'Supergirl' Musical Crossover's Big Twist

March 21, 2017

In the end, The CW's Supergirl musical crossover with The Flash was all about love, and the villain wasn't even a villain at all.

The crossover's mysterious "villain," the Music Meister (Darren Criss), arrived in National City during Monday's Supergirl to put Kara (Melissa Benoist) into a coma and then made his way to Central City for Tuesday's musical crossover with The Flash to do the same to Barry (Grant Gustin) . . . When all was said and done, it turned out that the coma was actually a movie musical inside Barry and Kara's minds that was intended to help both couples get back together

[. . . ]

Everyone made up and woke up in the real world as good as new and were shocked to see the Music Meister applauding their victory because he "believes in the good guys."

"The lesson was love," Criss' charismatic character told the whole crew inside of STAR Labs. "Love is about letting yourself be saved. It's not just about saving other people, even if you are superheroes."

The reveal marks a big change from all the super-crossovers in the past, which have tended to feature some sort of formidable villain putting everyone's lives (or the fate of the world) at stake.

[. . . ]

To hear Kreisberg tell it, the decision to make the Music Meister a hero instead of a villain just fit into the story. "At the end, that the cause of it would be somebody evil didn't feel right the more we worked on the plot of the episode," he says. "The idea that this person put them through their paces so they could get their love back on track ultimately seemed like a benevolent thing. We just thought that was so interesting. I mean, literally every show, every villain is evil. That somebody was doing something just to do some good struck us as very much the kind of thing a musical would do."

[. . . ]

The actress [Melissa Benoist] noted that she loved the humor and ad-libs featured in the episode, which included a mini-Glee reunion with co-stars Gustin and guest player Criss. "It's only fitting for a musical comedy," Benoist says of the crossover's romantic ending. "And Darren was the perfect person to play that. He did an amazing job and was so charismatic and funny, and he just brings that positivity. It was the perfect twist for the setting."

Adds Gustin: "Everyone was asking about Darren and what kind of villain he is. It was cool that he just manipulated us. You never really see that on our show," he says. "It was a cool change of pace. It was unlike anything we've ever done or may ever do again. It was a nice break from all the melodrama that's happening all season. We really flipped that on its head and did the opposite and made it all about joy."

And Patton adds with a smile, "I don't think anyone wants to see Darren Criss as the villain. It was my first time working with him, and he was just so sweet that I was like, 'Yeah, I'm glad you're not a villain on our show.'"
Note:  Poor Candice is going to be surprised to hear Darren is playing a serial killer.  confused

From DarrenCrissArmy:

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7bopsw6c1ubd9qxo1_1280

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7bopsw6c1ubd9qxo2_1280

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7bopsw6c1ubd9qxo3_1280

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7bopsw6c1ubd9qxo4_1280
More Flash musical crossover live tweets 3/21/17

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7awa2T9I1ubd9qxo1_1280

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7awa2T9I1ubd9qxo2_1280

Note:  I thought he looked great in the choreography.  I only noticed the one time that he did not seem to sync with Carlos and John B (and I only noticed that because John B. talked about it in his Facebook video--if John hadn't mentioned it, I would have assumed what Darren said, that since he was in the center, he was supposed to do his own thing).  :amused

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7apvL40W1ubd9qxo4_1280

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on7apvL40W1ubd9qxo5_1280

There are so many tweets from Darren.  He's a busy bee!

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

EW.com wrote:
'The Flash' -'Supergirl' musical crossover recap: 'Duet'

March 21, 2017

God, I loved this episode. The Flash/Supergirl musical crossover was an immensely charming and necessary hour of television that brought some much-needed light to The Flash‘s detrimentally dark third season. The music numbers were fun, Darren Criss did an amazing job as Music Meister, and the entire cast looked like they were having the time of their lives, which made it more entertaining for the audience.

[. . . ]

“You wouldn’t even understand where I come,” says Music Meister when H.R. asks where he’s from, which raises so many questions! Given the fact that he’s been watching both Barry and Kara and has these godlike powers, I think he might be a Monitor, which in DC comics mythology is someone who is responsible for monitoring the Earths in the multiverse. The other option is that he’s from the Fifth Dimension like Mr. Mxyzptlk.

Vanity Fair wrote:
How The Flash Just Pulled off the Best Musical TV Episode of All Time

March 21, 2017

Tuesday night the CW superhero power block finally made good on the implied, long-simmering promise that comes with employing so many Broadway legends and Glee kids in your TV shows. Drawing the cream of the crop from four different casts—The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow—the CW put on a musical that, at once, appealed to every possible demographic. As a die-hard fan of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and musicals, I’m aware it’s blasphemy to argue that The Flash just put on the best musical episode in TV history, but that’s exactly what I’m about to do. There are better musicals and better episodes of television but no better combination of the two.

[. . . ]

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Flash-spoiler

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Flash-cast

[. . . ]

Criss, who was one of the strongest members of the Glee cast for five seasons, makes for a perfect, whimsical “villain.” He doesn’t do much—and, really, he’s more Teen Angel than Music Meister—but everything he does is laced with a theatrical panache that fits the tone of “Duet” seamlessly.

DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Flash-darren

[. . . ]

Is “Duet” as good an episode TV as that famous all-singing hour of Buffy? Maybe not. But given the level of talent, it’s a better musical and one that will have both Flash and musical fans clamoring for a sequel.

411 Mania wrote:
The Flash 3.17 - "Duet"

Darren Criss as Music Meister was excellent. There’s a great amount of tension when he first arrives at S.T.A.R. Labs. First, he zooms like a speedster and takes out Kid Flash. Barry of course retaliates, but Music Meister anticipates the move and prevents it, saying, “And you’re too slow.” In just one scene Music Meister shows how great of an antagonist he is. He gets another great sequence later on as Martian Manhunter, Mon-El, and Wally try to stop him. The writing later throws a curveball, revealing that Music Meister isn’t actually evil – he’s just doing this because he somehow sensed relationship problems, and thus wanted to help fix them. It was hard to buy, and kinda ruins his charismatic villain performance. After all, why would he mock Wally about being trapped in the Speed Force if he actually isn’t a “bad guy?” It didn’t make sense.

[. . . ]

Music Meister was an excellent antagonist, though his revealed goal at the end was a head-scratcher and hard to get into. (Why was he draining the heroes’ powers and wanting to rob a bank if his only goal was to teach a lesson about relationships?)

Mic.com wrote:
'The Flash' season 3, episode 17 is a musical, gleeful smash with a surprise ending

March 21, 2017

Darren Criss' Music Meister was compelling and mischievous. Let's get a spin-off of him traveling the multiverse and teaching people lessons via genre simulations.

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total

98DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: Darren's TV Projects for 2017 Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I love the episode. Love the songs, the spoofy aspect and the final twist. And Darren was amazing, obvi. 

I just wish we would have seen more of him and I'm disappointed that the facial expressions from the promo weren't in the episode.

Btw, is there some link for his appearance in the Late Late Show ?

99DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: Darren's TV Projects for 2017 Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Poppy wrote:Thanks for posting that, Lin.  I would think that it has to be more than coincidence.  Maybe someone /some folks did this as a nod to Glee fans, especially since many of Darren's fans are Klaine fans (and Melissa and Grant have their Glee fans as well)?   I'm glad it made some fans happy. :happy face  
I believe in coincidence. Wink "There you are, I've been looking for you" is such a common and unspecific thing to say and there was even some other dialogue inbetween on Supergirl. It's just trippy to hear the words from Darren as a different character because it was such an iconic moment on Glee. Also, so weird to see those gifs and realise Darren is SIX years younger on the left side!

I could definitely see this one being an intentional little callback though thanks to Zach:
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on72f3BLR91sweqalo2_500
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_on72f3BLR91sweqalo1_500
DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Tumblr_inline_on77o36W0D1rxrg7d_500
source
(Grant has great comidic timing, he had so many funny little lines and moments)

I enjoyed the episode a lot! It also made me realise how much I miss having Darren on TV regularly. :cry
Of course I always want more of Darren, but I really loved all of his scenes. What an awesome part for him, he got to do a little bit of everything - show some of his villainous side but also be cute, funny and charming, plus some singing, dancing, flying around... you can tell he was having a blast.

For a musical, there really should have been some more songs. But let's hope they make up for it with a sequel. :happy face :fingers crossed

100DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 Empty The Flash. "Duet." (March 21, 2017) Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:I love the episode. Love the songs, the spoofy aspect and the final twist. And Darren was amazing, obvi. 

I just wish we would have seen more of him and I'm disappointed that the facial expressions from the promo weren't in the episode.

Agree!

Lin, thank you so much for posting that gif set!   I knew I recognized that part of the dance!   I would have loved so much if Barry had been standing behind the group in the far background, making the same dance moves--that would have been so fun!  Am happy they showed Barry off to the side making the same dance moves (haha!  to Kara's facial expression looking at Barry!). 

Grant has fantastic comic timing.  This is why I miss Season 1 of The Flash so much.  He was so funny that season.  Season 2 and 3 got so much darker, and the amount of humor decreased visibly. 

Lin wrote:I enjoyed the episode a lot! It also made me realise how much I miss having Darren on TV regularly. DarrenCriss - Darren's TV Projects for 2017 - Page 5 3129030996

I know.  I know.  : it's gonna be ok 

Lin wrote:Of course I always want more of Darren, but I really loved all of his scenes. What an awesome part for him, he got to do a little bit of everything - show some of his villainous side but also be cute, funny and charming, plus some singing, dancing, flying around... you can tell he was having a blast.

I also loved all of his scenes.  When I saw him fly, I thought:  "Oh my god.  Darren must be having a blast doing this!"   Great point, Lin, about Darren getting to do a little bit of everything, singing dancing, being a villain, being funny and charming, flying, and he got to do some action bits too, with some fighting scenes.  

I wonder if this is the first time the CW did a musical?  It must had been so intimidating for them.  So I understand how they couldn't possibly fit everything in.  But yes, hopefully, next time, they will  have more songs, and hopefully Darren will return as the Music Meister and have a solo (and even more amazing will be if Darren would have one of his original songs in the next musical episode, even if sung by someone else). 

I read in one of the reviews of the episode that since the Music Meister's power was not necessarily through his singing (like it was in Batman, the Brave and the Bold:  The Mayhem of the Music Meister), that the character of the MM also may appear in non-musical episodes.   The MM's power was relayed through his hypnotic eyes.

Other thoughts of the episode:  Loved Pasek & Paul's song.  Grant did a wonderful job singing the lovely song.  Rachel Bloom's song was very Rachel-like.  Cute and funny.  Darren was wonderful as the MM.   Loved the choreography!  Zach did a fantastic job!!  Darren was wonderful as the MM.  Would have still loved a more colorful costume for the MM.  Grant is such a graceful dancer, a joy to watch.  Loved the accents of Candice and Jeremy.   Darren was wonderful as the MM.   I learned that Carlos was on Broadway and has a lovely voice!   Darren was wonderful as the MM.    :happy face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum