Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 35]

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

When you talked about mandoline, I first thought you were talking about the music instrument :amused

The first season has been aired in the Netherlands on Net5 and in Belgium on 2BE. I guess it will be the same for the upcoming season.

*Jeremy* wrote:When you talked about mandoline, I first thought you were talking about the music instrument :amused
Me too. Razz Although I could probably find a way to hurt myself with that too... the kitchen tool has a different and self-explanatory name in German that tells me to stay away!

I just noticed I said ACS airs in Germany less than three weeks after the US premiere when it's actually less than two weeks. What is math?

Poppy wrote:Clever:  "How To Watch Darren Succeed Without Really Crying."  I like that Darren is not afraid to show his emotions.   heart
Haha, I guess you can read it both ways, but I actually meant me. I'm the one who's crying. I mean, not crying. I'm not really crying over Darren's well-deserved success. :cry But I agree, I liked when he recently mentioned in that radio show where he was discussing Broadway shows with Julie James that he cried several times during (I-forgot-which-show) because it was just so joyful.

Those pictures with Edgar are really cute. :love Also, if you look closely, you can sort of see the curls trying to make a comeback in some of the other pictures ...or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. waiting  I have to admit that he looks great with the short hair + beard combo though.
On a semi-related note, this is the kind of premature awards talk I can get behind. :amused  (she's an entertainment writer for Refinery29 according to her Twitter bio)
Ariana Romero‏ @_ArianaRomero 20 hours ago
Campaign For Darren Criss’ Eyelashes To Win An Emmy This Year. #ACSVersace

Last edited by Lin on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'll just repeat this info for a while.  I will also post it in the first post back on page 1, of The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story thread.

Info about where you can watch The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story:

U.S.
January 17 on FX

Germany
January 29 on Sky Atlantic

United Kingdom

(no date) On BBC Two 

France
(no date) On Canal +

Unknown Country

January 18 On Canal FX Latino

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Jeremy wrote:When you talked about mandoline, I first thought you were talking about the music instrument actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 3295213406

The first season has been aired in the Netherlands on Net5 and in Belgium on 2BE. I guess it will be the same for the upcoming season.

haha.   I never thought about the musical instrument.  that's funny!  :amused 

Jeremy, if you hear confirmation about the show being available to watch on Net5 in the Netherlands and on 2BE in Belgium, can you let me know?  I'll add those to the list.   Thank you!

Jeremy wrote:When you talked about mandoline, I first thought you were talking about the music instrument actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 3295213406

Lin wrote:Me too. actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Icon_razz Although I could probably find a way to hurt myself with that too... the kitchen tool has a different and self-explanatory name in German that tells me to stay away!

haha!  Lin, you are so cute.  I'm sure that's not true.  I favor the German name then as a warning to stay away.  :amused

haha.  Good !   I found someone as bad at math as me.  Probably not, though.  I'm awful in math.

Lin wrote:Haha, I guess you can read it both ways, but I actually meant me. I'm the one who's crying. I mean, not crying. I'm not really crying over Darren's well-deserved success. actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 3129030996 But I agree, I liked when he recently mentioned in that radio show where he was discussing Broadway shows with Julie James that he cried several times during (I-forgot-which-show) because it was just so joyful.

Oh!   I did misinterpret what you wrote!   I thought you were referring to the H2$ pics of Darren being tearful at curtain call.  You meant your tears of joy because of Darren's well-deserved success.  Oh,I agree with you!  I am soooo happy for Darren.  He works hard for everything and never takes anything for granted.  And he is grateful for the opportunities that he does obtain, and is humble about them.  He knows he is fortunate, yet he always makes sure to work his hardest to give it his best.  He  is so far from the stereotype of the entitled celebrity as you can get.   I also love how sweetly open Darren is with his emotions.  Remember he talked about how he would cry when he watched Amber perform in the Glee tour?  And Lea Salonga said when he went to one of her concerts, he shed a few tears too.  Darren lives life to the fullest.  He doesn't let moments of joy just pass him by.  I love that!   

Lin wrote:Those pictures with Edgar are really cute. actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 3446027931 Also, if you look closely, you can sort of see the curls trying to make a comeback in some of the other pictures ...or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 856298458  I have to admit that he looks great with the short hair + beard combo though.

They are adorable.  Edgar seems like a nice person, as does Ricky.  (Edgar was so cute in those videos of him being so happy when he went with Mia and Darren to the bar to sing.)  I wonder what is being talked about in those pics?  Darren looks embarrassed about something and it looks like Edgar is being sweet and consoling him.  Those curls are not gonna be suppressed!   haha. Don't worry, Lin, they will be back soon in full force.  :amused  He does look good with a beard and his short hair. 

Lin wrote:
On a semi-related note, this is the kinds of premature awards talk I can get behind. actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 3295213406  (she's an entertainment writer for Refinery29 according to her Twitter bio)
Ariana Romero‏ @_ArianaRomero 20 hours ago
Campaign For Darren Criss’ Eyelashes To Win An Emmy This Year. #ACSVersace

HAHA!  So funny!  Must have had some close-ups in Versace.  Glee fans already knew about this.  :happy face 

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Winter TCA Press Tour (January 5, 2018) Los Angeles

From dcriss-archive:

These are super nice photos!
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p25hgte5Uj1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p25hgte5Uj1wpi2k2o2_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p25hgte5Uj1wpi2k2o3_540
Darren Criss of FX’s ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ poses for a portrait during the 2018 Winter TCA Tour at Langham Hotel on January 5, 2018 in Pasadena, California

via dcriss-archive

This is nicely said, Darren.   I think he's saying that if the audience can relate to Cunanan, then people in the audience will feel empathy when he gets hit with obstacles/negative events (such as homophobia?), and thus they feel sad when Cunanan feels the emotional impact of those obstacles.  So folks in the audience feel sad that Cunanan had to experience the negative events (that caused him to react), as well as the audience feels sad for the victims of Cunanan's reactive actions.

Why the True Focus of The Assassination of Gianni Versace Just May Surprise You | Source

via dcriss-archive

She is an Entertainment Editor at Racked.   This seems to be in line with what Darren just said in the video above, about people in the audience viewing Cunanan's emotions in reaction to events in his life, as well as how scary he is.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p259kx4Qsn1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p259kx4Qsn1wpi2k2o3_r1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p25dyqgBvS1wpi2k2o1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p25chcJT1Q1wpi2k2o1_1280
[LQ] Maureen Orth, Tom Rob Smith, Edgar Ramirez, Brad Simpson, Darren Criss, Nina Jacobson and Ricky Martin from FX’s ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ pose for a portrait during the 2018 Winter TCA Tour at Langham Hotel at Langham Hotel on January 5, 2018 in Pasadena, California

Very cute photo (bottom photo).  I like the comment too by the Official TCA.  Darren made some very interesting comments at the TCA yesterday that the critics tweeted about.  I haven't had a chance to discuss them yet.  He seemed very articulate yesterday in his comments.  :happy face
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p256ryUPhJ1wpi2k2o1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p256ryUPhJ1wpi2k2o2_1280
OfficialTCA: How far would you go to be famous? The new season of American Crime Story is titled The Assassination of Gianni Versace, but it’s actually about far more than that. #TCA18 @fxnetworks #ACSFX (Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

OfficialTCA: Finding the perfect Andrew Cunnan was a challenge, but @DarrenCriss made the character his own. Thankfully, he didn’t bring the murderer’s darkness home with him after filming #TCA18 #ACSFX (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty)

More cute photos.  :happy face  What are they talking about?  It looks like Darren was embarrassed about something and Edgar is being sweet.
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o2_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o3_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o4_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o5_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o6_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24h552XgA1wpi2k2o7_1280
[LQ] Actors Darren Criss and Edgar Ramirez of the television show The Assassination of Gianni Versace speak onstage during the FOX/FX Networks portion of the 2018 Winter Television Critics Association Press Tour at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena on January 5, 2018 in Pasadena, California.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24c93AfwT1wpi2k2o1_1280
maureen_orth: With wonderful @darrencriss@darrenarmy. Great #acsversace writer Tom RobSmith. A ha ha ha Hollywood kind of day! Pretty fun for new year. ##vulgarfavors book. Who whudda thunk??!

Some more nice photos:
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24axkGwpr1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24axkGwpr1wpi2k2o2_400

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24axkGwpr1wpi2k2o3_400

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p24axkGwpr1wpi2k2o4_400
[LQ] Darren Criss participates in the “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” panel during the FOX Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, in Pasadena,Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)

From Darren Criss Army:

EOnLine wrote:
Why the True Focus of The Assassination of Gianni Versace Just May Surprise You

Jan. 6, 2018

And for star Darren Criss, who turns in a career-making performance as Cunanan, it was the opportunity to explore the tragic undercurrent of the murderer’s actions that drove him to the role.

“That’s what made this such a joy for me, trying to find this common denominators between Andrew and the person watching, so much so that when he does something horrible, you’re really almost heartbroken that they’re doing this,” he told E! News. “That it is not only sad because of the actions, but sad because of the things that made those things happen.”
Source:  http://www.eonline.com/news/904141/why-the-true-focus-of-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-just-may-surprise-you

A few more excerpts of the same article.
EOnLine wrote:
Why the True Focus of The Assassination of Gianni Versace Just May Surprise You

Jan. 6, 2018

His name may be in the one in the title, but when The Assassination of Gianni Versace premieres on FX next week, the famed fashion designer, gunned down in his prime, will share the spotlight.

In fact, much like The People v O.J. Simpson before it, the second installment of American Crime Story will use the crime involving the bold-named individual in the title to explore greater themes, as well as tell the stories of the lesser-known victims of serial killer Andrew Cunanan. And as executive producer Brad Simpson told E! News ahead of the show's panel at the 2018 TCA Winter Press Tour, that's exactly how the creative team wanted it.

"Andrew Cunanan was a spree killer and he murdered five people, the most famous being Gianni Versace. Versace was his obsession. He was everything he wanted and couldn't have. The series tracks through those victims," Simpson explained. "We thought it was important to spend the same amount of time with the less-known victims as it was with the most famous victims. Versace weaves his way in and out of this story, I think, in a great way, but the journey itself is the journey of this killer across the country as he murders people."

In other words, just because Edgar Ramirez and Penélope Cruz dominate the show's key art as Gianni and his legendary sister Donatella Versace, don't expect this to be a Versace family biography. While Gianni's name may be in the title, it's the word "Assassination" that's the real focus here.
Source:  http://www.eonline.com/news/904141/why-the-true-focus-of-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-just-may-surprise-you

A couple of more cute photos:
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2407uOE4p1ubd9qxo1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2407uOE4p1ubd9qxo2_540
Darren & Edgar at the ACS Versace panel at the Television Critics Association press tour. January 5, 2018.

Photo credit: Copyright WER (used with express permission)

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

heart
From dcriss-archive:

She is an Entertainment editor at Racked.com
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p259kx4Qsn1wpi2k2o1_540
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p259kx4Qsn1wpi2k2o2_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p259kx4Qsn1wpi2k2o3_r1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p259kx4Qsn1wpi2k2o4_r1_540

This is very complimentary of Darren's performance in Versace.    ". . . but the revelation is Criss.  Best known for playing Blaine on Murphy's Glee, he vacillates between being charming, pathetic, ruthless, and pyschotic."   Love the quote from Ryan Murphy:  "An actor is only as good as their opportunity . . . When I saw him in Hedwig [and the Angry Inch on Broadway], I knew he was capable of great darkness."  heart
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p25u4dIKZP1wpi2k2o1_1280
January 12th Issue of Entertainment Weekly | Source

From acsversace-news:

This tweet, which was on the site of acsversace-news, is interesting.  He is Film editor at Slant Magazine.

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Winter TCA Press Tour (January 5, 2018) Los Angeles

Whew, between my sinus infection and the sheer number of media coverage, I don't think I can repost everything on the fan sites.  I don't know  I'll re-post some items.  

From Darren Criss Army:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p26wfplsOC1ubd9qxo1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p26wfplsOC1ubd9qxo2_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p26wfplsOC1ubd9qxo3_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p26wfplsOC1ubd9qxo4_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p26wfplsOC1ubd9qxo5_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p26wfplsOC1ubd9qxo6_1280
Darren Criss – The Variety TCA Podcast hosted by Debra Birnbaum in Pasadena (January-05-2018)

Darren Criss Army wrote:The article summarizes the second day of the Television Critics Association’s press tour, which included the FX Executive Producers panel as well as the panel featuring the cast and producers of ACS Versace.

TVWorthWatching wrote:
TCA's Winter Press Tour – Day 2: FX Network

January 6, 2018

The FX creator with the most shows is undoubtedly Ryan Murphy, who presided on back-to-back panels Friday — one for a project about the 80s New York trans ballroom culture, Pose, but also his lavish second installment in the “American Crime Story” franchise, this one titled The Assassination of Gianni Versace that begins Jan. 17.

While many may recall the shocking shooting death of the acclaimed designer in front of his Miami Beach mansion, less well-known is the story of his murderer, who had been wanted by the FBI for a series of brutal killings.

Like Murphy’s initial installment of American Crime Story, The People vs. O.J. Simpson, this one has a dream cast that includes Venezuelan actor Edgar Ramirez of Carlos as the designer; Penelope Cruz as his sister Donatella, Ricky Martin as his lover, and Darren Criss of Glee as the murderer Andrew Cunanan.

“This certainly is a once in a lifetime opportunity that happened to be within the hands of the person that I had been creating other things with and who had been such a champion for me on Glee,” Criss said. “I definitely lucked out. I think a lot of actors have to wait a lifetime for something like this.”

While the O.J. saga never showed the murder, this one begins with it. But that’s the plan for American Crime Story, Murphy said.

“One of the joys about this show for me is that every season of this show will have a different tonality. The first season was very much a courtroom potboiler. The second season is a manhunt thriller,” he said.

Its third season, covering Hurricane Katrina, will be set in New Orleans’ Memorial Hospital, looking at issues of health care and global warming.

“So every different season of the show, unlike other things that we’ve done, is so different.”
Source:  http://tvworthwatching.com/post/TCAs-Winter-Press-Tour-Day-2-FX-Network.aspx

From dcriss-archive:

Via Maarten de Boer’s Instagram Story (January 7th, 2018)

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p270e5aX1t1wpi2k2o1_1280
maureen_orth: Coolest cast and A plus producers #acsversace premieres tomorrow LA, on FX 1/17. My book #vulgarfavors the basis! @darrencriss @edgarramirez25 @ricky_martin @penelopecruz1

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

Snippet of the promo for early availability of ACS Versace to FX+ subscribers on Jan 12

Only Comcast/Xfinity and Cox offer FX+ in the US. 

We do NOT know about the availability of FX+ outside the US

Please contact your provider directly to find out if you have or can get FX+.

via Darren Criss Army

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p27b2pCU6i1ubd9qxo1_1280

NEWSFLASH!!! We have confirmed that ACS Versace WILL be AVAILABLE EARLY for FX+ subscribers ONLY, starting January 12. 

This is the screenshot of a promo that was shown on FX+ late on Jan 6 in the US.

Only Comcast/Xfinity and Cox offer FX+. Contact your provider for info, we can’t tell if you have it or are eligible. Upgrade usually costs $5.99/mo. We do not yet know the status of FX+ outside the US.

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p295u1LpWU1wpi2k2o1_1280
ACSFX: He craved attention. He killed for fame. @DarrenCriss is Andrew Cunanan when #ACSVersace premieres 1/17, only on FX.

The AV Club wrote:
The A.V. Club tells you what to watch in 2018

1/8/2018

Criss’ chilly, chameleonic work as Cunanan is the best of his career
Source:  https://www.avclub.com/the-a-v-club-tells-you-what-to-watch-in-2018-1821743306

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Premiere of The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story (1/8/2018, Los Angeles)

From Darren Criss Army:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29robeuOS1ubd9qxo1_500actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29robeuOS1ubd9qxo2_500
#ACSVersace premiere via Ashley Weston’s Instagram Story 1/8/17 instagram.com/ashleypweston

Darren Criss being interviewed on the Red Carpet for the ACS Versace LA Premiere. Edgar Ramirez also being interviewed in the background. 

Jan 8, 2018.

Via Jessica Radloff (Glamour) Instagram story

via Darren Criss Army

From dcriss-archive:

Pretty pics.  I like how they are color-coordinated.  The grays of Darren's jacket match Mia's exterior skirt.  Her outfit is very pretty.  The exterior skirt looks like silk.  I like the sleeves of her top too.     It looks like her skirt is lined with with black gauze-type material .  His jacket is striking as well--with a very Asian look (looks like cranes in flight).
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29udjSqaC1wpi2k2o1_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29udjSqaC1wpi2k2o2_500
Actor Darren Criss and Mia Swier attend the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29ynhCn3P1wpi2k2o1_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29ynhCn3P1wpi2k2o2_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29ynhCn3P1wpi2k2o3_500
Actor Darren Criss and Mia Swier attend the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California

This is a good pic, where all four of them seem to be looking in the same direction.
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29yqjY4Us1wpi2k2o3_1280
Actors Darren Criss, Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez, and Ricky Martin attend the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29tkjkFus1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29tkjkFus1wpi2k2o2_1280
Darren Criss, Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez and Ricky Martin attend the premiere of ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’, Los Angeles, USA - 08 Jan 2018

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29thaFdBJ1wpi2k2o1_1280
americancrimestoryfx: Our talented cast and crew stepped out on the carpet to celebrate the premiere of #ACSVersace. Follow along on our story for more behind-the-scenes.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29yrh2op71wpi2k2o2_500
Actor Darren Criss attends the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29wxh6XKl1wpi2k2o1_540
Darren Criss, a cast member in “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” poses at a special screening of the television series at the ArcLight Hollywood on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29y936k1p1wpi2k2o1_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29y936k1p1wpi2k2o2_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29sc6nsLH1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Ashley Weston’s Instagram Story (January 8th, 2018)

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29w33VAKo1wpi2k2o1_540
Actor Darren Criss attends the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29w4xSVvv1wpi2k2o4_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p29w4xSVvv1wpi2k2o5_1280
Actors Darren Criss, Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez, and Ricky Martin attend the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Premiere of The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story (1/8/2018, Los Angeles)

Wow, so much material to cover. 

From Darren Criss Army:

haha.  Darren charming Penelope. 
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a530BTE41ubd9qxo1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a530BTE41ubd9qxo2_1280
Penelope Cruz & Darren Criss at the ACS Versace LA premiere, Jan 8, 2018.

Photos by Kevin Winter, Getty Images.

Team DC!  :happy face
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2am1bCbt61ubd9qxo1_500

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2am1bCbt61ubd9qxo2_1280
Darren with his team (Ashley Weston, Ricky Rollins, Eleni Gianulis and Michael Ormacky) celebrating the Los Angeles premiere of American Crime Story, January 8, 2018, via Ricky Rollins’ Instagram Story

via Darren Criss Army

He's cute.  :happy face
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a50soWTJ1ubd9qxo2_1280
Edouard Holdener & Darren Criss at the ACS Versace LA premiere

Jan 8, 2018

Photos by Kevin Winter, Getty Images

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a54ytx4G1ubd9qxo1_1280
Darren Criss & “Vulgar Favors” author Maureen Orth at the LA premiere of ACS Versace.

Jan 8, 2018

Photo by Kevin Winter, Getty Images

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2au18pAQK1ubd9qxo1_1280

ETOnline wrote:
'American Crime Story' Cast Reacts to Versace Family Calling Mini-Series a 'Work of Fiction (Exclusive)

January 9, 2018

Edgar Ramirez and Penelope Cruz are standing behind their work on The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story following the Versace family telling ET that the mini-series should be “considered a work of fiction.”

ET’s Keltie Knight spoke with the ACS stars and the show’s creator, Ryan Murphy, at the FX premiere on Monday night in Los Angeles, California, and they were all adamant about holding Gianni’s relatives in high regard.

“We all feel the utmost respect for the Versace family,” Ramirez, who portrays the slain fashion designer, said. “We all tried to be as respectful and compassionate as possible walking into the show.”

“I really feel a lot of love for them,” added Cruz, who takes on the role of Gianni’s sister, Donatella Versace.

The mini-series is based on Maureen Orth’s book, Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U. S. History, which details the late designer’s murder in 1997. Murphy stands behind the story.

Vulgar Favors was acclaimed and embedded for almost 20 years now so we stand behind Marren and we stand behind the book,” he insisted.

Murphy added, “Penelope never would have taken on this role if in any way if Donatella or anyone in the family was sort of portrayed in a negative light.”

“The Versace family has neither authorized nor had any involvement whatsoever in the forthcoming TV series about the death of Mr. Gianni Versace,” the family said in a statement on Monday. “Since Versace did not authorize the book on which it is partly based nor has it taken part in the writing of the screenplay, this TV series should only be considered as a work of fiction.”

At Sunday’s 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards, Cruz shared with ET’s Nancy O'Dell that she spoke with Donatella before accepting the part.

“When [ACS creator] Ryan [Murphy] told me, I said to him, ‘This sounds really interesting, but I have to make this call and I have to talk to Donatella,’” she recalled. “I called her and we spoke, like, for an hour. I needed that conversation to say yes.”

The 43-year-old actress further noted that she and Donatella have no bad blood between them. “It was a conversation where, I cannot share everything we talked about, but we have a good relationship,” she disclosed. “She just sent me flowers before I came here.”

Doting on the 62-year-old fashion icon, Cruz continued, “She’s such a loving person, so I wanted to put out there the love and respect I have for her. It’s in my performance for sure, and I hope that when she sees, she will be happy about it.”

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres Jan. 17 on FX.
Source:   http://www.etonline.com/american-crime-story-cast-reacts-versace-family-calling-mini-series-work-fiction-exclusive-93908

WWD wrote:
‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’ Premiere Draws Ricky Martin, Penelope Cruz

January 9, 2018

Ricky Martin, Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez and Darren Criss, stepped out at the premiere of their new series, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” the second installment of Ryan Murphy’s “American Crime Story” franchise. While the Versace family recently released a statement denouncing the project as “a work of fiction,” Murphy was quick to mention that Cruz had received a kind gesture from her onscreen alter ego. “Donatella Versace sent Penelope Cruz a huge arrangement of flowers yesterday,” he shared.

“It was very nice,” said Cruz, who stars as Donatella in the nine-episode series, which debuts Jan. 17 on FX. “I don’t know if she has seen [any episodes yet], but it’s a personal thing. For me, it really made me smile. It made me happy.” The actress said she admires Donatella’s passion and success in running an empire. “She had to do that in a moment when she was devastated and she proved to be strong. That was a very generous thing to do because I’m sure she did it also for him.”

“Look, maybe it will be too painful for her to [watch], but I think we treat her with a lot of respect and dignity,” added Murphy. “I really admire Donatella — like I really admire Marcia Clark. I think Donatella Versace was a woman who, out of the blue, was asked to carry on a billion-dollar company and keep her family business going and intact and was up against a board of directors and lawyers who were all men and were trying to tell her something contrary to what she wanted to do. I really admire what she was able to do and continues to do.”

Cruz said she spoke with Donatella in advance of filming. “We had a long conversation when Ryan offered me the part,” said Cruz. “I needed to talk to her about it before I moved forward.” Once she accepted the role, Cruz prepared by combing through interviews with Donatella on YouTube in order “to capture the essence of this wonderful woman.”

Ramirez plays the role of Gianni Versace. “It’s such a great opportunity and such a great privilege to step into the shoes of one of the most creative minds of the 20th century,” said Ramirez, who wore prosthetics as part of his physical transformation. “He’s a genius that affected culture and changed it. Gianni was a disruptor. Gianni did things that no one else had done before….He was the designer of his time and for me that’s incredible to play.”

[. . . ]

Criss was tasked with tackling the role of serial killer Cunanan. “I feel like I made varsity,” Criss said of being cast on the show. “I get to be on an FX show, another Ryan Murphy show. The fact that it’s a second season for a show whose stripes are already proven in quality and content. Then I get to be in a project that has a character that is extremely compelling and is an actor’s dream to work on — not because of it’s darkness or the violence that it involves but because of the colors of emotional arcs that he carries with him. And on top of that let’s not forget the bonus that I get to hang out with a bunch of movie stars which is certainly a thrill. My head explodes a little bit [when I talk about it] and it did every day going to work. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Murphy said that the project features his dream cast. “They were all my first choices,” he shared, adding that, despite rumors, Lady Gaga was never in the running for the role. “She was never available. She was doing ‘A Star Is Born’ when we were casting it.” Murphy added, “I always wanted to work with Penelope. I liked that she was friendly with and knew Donatella very well. I’ve been friends with Penelope for almost 10 years and I’ve always wanted to work with her, but we could never find the right piece or the right timing. Finally this worked.”

[. . . ]

Beyond the headlines, Murphy said the project is, at its core, “about something I lived through which was homophobia in the Nineties and the trickle-down effect of ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ in our country. I also think it’s about great beauty and great destruction and it answers the question, ‘How does one person become a murderer?’ And how does another person become a creative genius? Both things don’t just happen, so we examine that.

Source:  http://wwd.com/eye/parties/the-assassintation-of-gianni-versace-premiere-ricky-martin-penelope-cruz-11092415/

From dcriss-archive:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ah0cNnEM1wcyxsbo1_1280
acsversace-news:
   [UHQ]  The cast and crew of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ attend the premiere at ArcLight Hollywood on January 8, 2018 in Hollywood, California. | Source

via  dcriss-archve

Very nice pic.  :happy face
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2awb5un3E1wpi2k2o1_1280
ricky_martin: Last night at the #ACSVersace Premier in #hollywood #americancrimestory

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2bglxZW2u1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2bglxZW2u1wpi2k2o2_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2bglxZW2u1wpi2k2o3_540
hollywoodreporter: It was a killer good time with the #ACSVersace crew! The next installment of Ryan Murphy’s anthology series premieres Jan. 17 on FX. @gettyentertainment

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a8iqhlkb1wpi2k2o1_1280
bharrisk: The Cast  #acsversace The Assassination Of Gianni Versace

via dcriss-archive

This is Maureen Orth's son.
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2b3n5Q4Rv1wpi2k2o1_1280
lukerussert: Quite the evening in #LaLaLand celebrating the premiere of “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” airing January 17th on FX @americancrimestoryfx based on @maureen_orth book “Vulgar Favors.” Production team and all-star cast did a helluva job bringing my mom’s book to life. Watch it early and often, tell your friends, set your DVR and buy the book which is always better than the show/movie

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6zqTfWR1wpi2k2o1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6zqTfWR1wpi2k2o3_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6zqTfWR1wpi2k2o4_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6zqTfWR1wpi2k2o6_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6zqTfWR1wpi2k2o7_1280
Actors Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Penelope Cruz, Ricky Martin, Cody Fern, executive producers Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, writer Tom Rob Smith and John Landgraf, CEO, FX Network pose at the after party for the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at the Hollywood Palladium on January 8, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.

via dcriss-archive

Nice to see Edgar and Darren goofing around and having fun at the premiere.  :happy face
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a79cpoGi1wpi2k2o1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a79cpoGi1wpi2k2o2_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a79cpoGi1wpi2k2o3_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a79cpoGi1wpi2k2o4_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a79cpoGi1wpi2k2o5_1280
Actors Darren Criss and Edgar Ramirez pose at the after party for the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at the Hollywood Palladium on January 8, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2b8llmHGH1wpi2k2o1_540
[HQ] Actors Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez and Penelope Cruz pose at the after party for the premiere of FX’s ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ at the Hollywood Palladium on January 8, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. | Source

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2b8dwN5yr1wpi2k2o2_r1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2b8dwN5yr1wpi2k2o3_r1_1280
[HQ] Darren Criss, Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez and Ricky Martin, cast members in “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” pose together at a special screening of the television series at the ArcLight Hollywood on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018, in Los Angeles. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP) | Source

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6f5ynVN1wpi2k2o9_1280

This is a nice pic.  No watermark and the colors in the background add vitality to the pic.   Again, love Mia's outfit; she looks lovely.  And am a fan of Darren's jacket; he looks handsome.  :happy face
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ayasSQSM1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Mia Swier’s Snapchat (January 9th, 2018)

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2a6ghWF3V1wpi2k2o1_500

Darren is really perfecting his interview skills.  Nicely done, Darren.

“American Crime Story” Cast Talks “Versace” Show Accuracy | Source

via dcriss-archive

acsversace-news:

via ‘American Crime Story’ Cast Reacts to Versace Family Calling Mini-Series a ‘Work of Fiction (Exclusive) | 9 January 2018

via dcriss-archive

The Stars of “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” Speak out (January 8th, 2018) | Source

The Stars of “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” Speak out (January 8th, 2018) | Source

via dcriss-archive

Aw, many of Darren's friends attended the Versace premiere.   Caitlin Brody (with Glamour), Benj Pasek, Eleni Gianulis (part of Darren's team and a friend), and Jeff Jernigan (who I think also at one time was Darren's room mate in the house, but I could be wrong about that).  Did all these folks go to U of Michigan?
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2avfaYPjW1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2avfaYPjW1wpi2k2o2_540
cbroday: So many things have changed, but still so much is exactly the same. Love nothing more than being in a room with this dream team (including several not photographed!). We’re all in for an ACS Versace treat.

Duane Mieliwocki was a camera operator with Glee. 
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2al2hv4Dx1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2al2hv4Dx1wpi2k2o2_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2aqkl6WAg1wpi2k2o1_1280
dcriss-archive:
kristindossantos: So good reuniting with this sweet soul last night and seeing how colors incredible colors he is in #AmericanCrimeStory #Versace. Chills on chilllllsss – this is NOT the Darren Criss you know and I think you will be blown away! (P.S. @leamichele also was there and it was a sweet #Glee reunion.) heart heart heart #NeverStopBelievin
###

@americancrimestoryfx starts Jan 17!
KristinDSantos: BLAINE NO MORE! Was completely blown away by this guy in @ACSFX #Versace. Creepy and compelling af. Penelope Cruz is also [100] as Donatella. Get ready. 1/17. #latertweet #VersacePremiere

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Critics' Reviews of The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story

Lin, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe so far, there have been four full reviews.  (Note:  The writers for all four of these reviews have not seen the finale of the series, and the TV Line writer only saw 5 of the 9 episodes.  I still do not understand why a critic would review a show if that critic has not yet seen the finale episode, or has not viewed several remaining episodes.  How can you review a series if you have not seen the entire series?  It's like reviewing a book and skipping the last chapter.  Why not just wait?  What if the critic changes his or her impression of the show after viewing the finale episode (or in the case of the TV Line writer, after having seen the last 4 episodes), because that last episode or the remaining episodes may tie up loose strings,  make other powerful statements related to themes, and/or flesh out characterization? )

So of the 4 full reviews that I am aware of, two have been very positive (The New York Post, dated January 4, 2018), and  The San Francisco Chronicle dated January 9, 2018), and two are mixed reviews  (The Hollywood Reporter , dated 1/3/2018 ) and (TV Line, dated January 9, 2018 ).  However, please note that TV Line did give the series a "B" (above average). 

Here are excerpts from the two older full reviews:

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
'The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story':  TV Review

1/3/2018

Criss plays it to the hilt, leaving constant questions as to how much control Andrew even has,. . .
Source:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-review-1070730?utm_source=twitter

New York Post wrote:
'Versace' miniseries is the first great show of 2018

January 4, 2018

The second installment of Ryan Murphy’s “American Crime Story” franchise is the tragic tale of a globally famous gay talent and an obscure gay parasite.

[. . . ]

The nine episodes of Murphy’s series, all carefully crafted by British screenwriter Tom Robb Smith (“London Spy”), track the disintegration of a spoiled child who demanded the maximum payoff for the most minimal effort — and, unable to develop any real relationships with his peers, cruelly targeted older, wealthy gay men who were willing to satisfy his endless needs.

[. . . ]

The performances of the leads are outstanding, but special mention must be made of Criss, who beautifully captures Cunanan’s ability to tell the biggest lies anyone has ever heard and literally charm the pants off anyone he sets his sights on. He’s a lot like Patricia Highsmith’s Mr. Ripley, but Ripley was a fictional creation. Cunanan, who committed suicide after murdering Versace, was sadly all too real.

Murphy’s ability to showcase well-known performers in surprising cameos continues apace with gems from Mike Farrell, Max Greenfield and even Cathy Moriarty as a wily pawnshop owner.

"The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is more personal and heartfelt than Murphy’s “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” and proves that when it comes to seductive allure laced with menace, no one in TV is Murphy’s match.
Please visit the article's site to give the article a number of "clicks." Source:  https://nypost.com/2018/01/04/versace-miniseries-is-the-first-great-show-of-2018/

From Darren Criss Army

Here are excerpts from the two recent reviews:

TV Line wrote:
American Crime Story: Versace Review: Season 2 Is OK, But It’s No O.J.

January 9, 2018

Really, though Versace’s name is in the title, this is Andrew Cunanan’s story, detailing his previous murders and how he managed to elude authorities for months. As a result, the bulk of the season falls on Criss’ shoulders — and the Glee alum responds with a riveting, chilling performance.

[ . . ]

Cunanan is a fascinating character: a hustler, seducing older men and stealing their money, and a compulsive liar, constantly spinning impressive lies about his past. (“I tell people what they need to hear,” he explains early on.) Criss uses his natural charms as a finely honed weapon here, showing us how Cunanan was able to fake his way through life for so long, while also giving us fleeting glimpses of the crushing loneliness lying underneath. Plus, he doesn’t shy away from Cunanan’s ugly brand of sadism. A scene of Cunanan wrapping an elderly client’s face in duct tape to the strains of Phil Collins — part American Horror Story, part American Psycho — left me literally gasping for air.
Please visit the article's site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  http://tvline.com/2018/01/09/american-crime-story-review-season-2-fx-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-ryan-murphy/

The San Francisco Chronicle wrote:
'‘Versace’ had something Cunanan would kill for: Fame

January 9, 2018

The bar was already set especially high for the second installment of “American Crime Story” by the critical and popular success of last year’s “The People v. O. J. Simpson.” From the long white Bronco chase along the Los Angeles freeways to the gavel-to-gavel coverage of Simpson’s trial, much of the nation had followed the case from beginning to end, all but guaranteeing a sizable audience for the dramatization. Critical raves, Emmys and other awards only added to its success.

Unlike Simpson, the central character in the FX anthology series’ second season was not well-known at all, but his obsessive desire to change that drove him to kill one of the most famous fashion designers in the world. “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” whose nine-episode season premieres Wednesday, Jan. 17, may not get “Simpson”-level ratings, but it takes the series, loosely based on a book by Maureen Orth, to another level altogether. Though at times excruciating to watch, it is a riveting and provocative indictment of both homophobia and, on a larger level, our obsessive fascination with celebrity, both real and manufactured.

[ . . . ]

The quality of Smith’s script is honored effectively through the direction of the series, by Matt Bomer, Gwyneth Horder-Payton and series creator Ryan Murphy, and through exquisite performances, beginning with that of Darren Criss. His national tour of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” showed there was more to him than the singing, dancing charmer of “Glee,” but nothing he’s done compares to his work here. In fact, he uses that charm as the base for Cunanan’s twisted personality. We may have read the papers and watched new accounts of the killing spree and wondered how anyone could have been taken in by such a malevolent poseur. The answer is in Criss’ Emmy-worthy performance.

Ramírez is . ..

David Wiegand is an assistant managing editor and the TV critic of The San Francisco Chronicle. Follow him on Facebook.
Please visit the article's site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:   https://www.sfchronicle.com/tv/article/Versace-had-something-Cunanan-would-kill-12484939.php

Two resources to keep track of reviews (thank you, Lin):

-http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-american-crime-story

-https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/american_crime_story/s02/

Last edited by Poppy on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

Darren Criss talks about his role as Andrew Cunanan during Golden Globes 

(Source: youtube.com)

ACSFX He wanted fame. He was wanted by the FBI. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres January 17 on FX. #ACSVersace @DarrenCriss

via Darren Criss Army

ACSFX A troubled path, and a dangerous obsession. Follow Cunanan’s path to The Assassination of Gianni Versace when FX’s award-winning limited series returns January 17. #ACSVersace

via Darren Criss Army

This is a heartfelt message from Yong Chavez.   I'm sorry she didn't get in, but I'm glad Darren did what he could for her, and that Yong deeply appreciates that.
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2bflbhcqe1ubd9qxo1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2bflbhcqe1ubd9qxo2_1280

From dcriss-archive:

CanalFX_la: La hermana vs. el asesino. ¿Qué personaje tienes más ganas de ver? #ACSVersaceEnFX
*The sister vs The murderer. What character are you more eager to see?

via dcriss-archive

Los Angeles Daily News wrote:
Why ‘American Crime Story’ took on murder and manhunt in ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’

January 9, 2018

“’Assassination’ has a political overtone, and I think it denotes somebody who is taking the life of somebody else to make a point,” Murphy says. “And I think that’s exactly what Andrew Cunanan did.”

[. . . ]

Ramirez observes that Versace’s influence is still evident today. “He could see the sexiness of the ’70s, and then all the opulence of the ’80s,” said the actor, adding that the designer combined those elements “and everybody went crazy.”

Seven years before the killing, Cunanan met or imposed himself upon Versace at a party when the Italian-born designer was creating costumes for the San Francisco Opera.

“Versace looms over the series as a symbol of success. He is not just a person. This is the reason for the assassination,” says Tom Rob Smith, who wrote the script for the nine-episode series, “He is, in a weird way, in every moment of Andrew’s life.”

As producer Nina Jacobson points out, the series contrasts the two. “One character is an authentic, honest creator drawing on his heritage, his background, his family,” she says, “and the other goes on a path of destruction because he wants the fame without the work or the talent.”

No one really knows what went on between Cunanan and Versace or the killer and his other victims. So the series tries to fill in the details.

“You have these tiny points of truth, and you then try to connect the tissue between it,” says Smith, novelist of books including “Child 44” and screenwriter of “London Spy.” “But I would never use the word ‘embellishing’ or ‘making up.’ It’s trying to join those pinpoints.”

Orth says a lot of people knew Cunanan “was an inveterate liar, but they didn’t care because he was very witty about it, or he was able to charm people.”

“We’re not just following what we would assume to be a murderous, horrible person all the time,” adds Criss. “We see him at his best; we see him at his worst; we see him at his most charming; we see him at his most hurt. And it’s all over the place. We really do get to know him as a person.”

[. . . ]

Orth’s 1999 book is called “Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in US History,” and Murphy feels that Cunanan was able to make his way across the country and pick off his victims because many of them were gay.

There was “homophobia, particularly within the various police organizations that refused in Miami to put up wanted posters,” he says.

Not surprisingly, the Versace family is not behind the project and issued a statement this week: “Since Versace did not authorize the book on which it is partly based nor has it taken part in the writing of the screenplay, this TV series should only be considered as a work of fiction,” it said.

Criss says that the most difficult part of playing a killer was thinking “about the people who are still alive and are affected. And wanting to do right by them is my hope.”

Brad Simpson, one of the other producers of “Versace,” says that is the basic quandary for anybody who is making true crime story.

“By recreating these murders, are you giving the murderer what they want? Are you hurting the victims again?” he asks. “In ‘O.J.,’ we didn’t show O.J. committing the murder. We never come out and say that O.J. killed Nicole and Ron even though you can really take that inference from the show. In this case, we are showing the real devastation of what Andrew did.”

Source:  https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/09/why-american-crime-story-took-on-murder-and-manhunt-in-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

via acsversace-news

-

Poppy wrote:Critics' Reviews

Lin, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe so far, there have been four full reviews.  (Note:  The writers for all four of these reviews have not seen the finale of the series, and the TV Line writer only saw 5 of the 9 episodes.  I still do not understand why a critic would review a show if that critic has not yet seen the finale episode, or has not viewed several remaining episodes.  How can you review a series if you have not seen the entire series?  It's like reviewing a book and skipping the last chapter.  Why not just wait?  What if the critic changes his or her impression of the show after viewing the finale episode (or in the case of the TV Line writer, after having seen the last 4 episodes), because that last episode or the remaining episodes may tie up loose strings,  make other powerful statements related to themes, and/or flesh out characterization? )

So of the 4 full reviews that I am aware of, two have been very positive (The New York Post, dated January 4, 2018), and  The San Francisco Chronicle dated January 9, 2018), one is a mixed review (The Hollywood Reporter , dated 1/3/2018 ) and one  has been mostly negative but with some positives (TV Line (dated January 9, 2018   ).

I think so, those are the ones listed on Metacritic so far. I wouldn't say the TVLine review is that negative - they chose to focus more on the things they didn't like in the write-up, but still gave it a "B" (and to put that more into perspective, they gave the first season a "B+"). And of course it's important that the show itself does well, but as a Darren fan, it's almost a bigger compliment to him when the overall more critical reviews still praise his performance, so I can't really mind it.  Wink  Metacritic counts all of these as positive btw, not mixed. Though I have to admit I'm a bit confused how they calculate their scores (mostly for the San Francisco Chronicle review).

I agree with your point about TVLine not even watching all the available screeners, but considering Ricky and Penelope are still shooting some scenes, I doubt critics will get the final episode before the first one airs, so I can't really blame them for that.

Poppy wrote:Aw, many of Darren's friends attended the Versace premiere.   Caitlin Brody (with Glamour), Benj Pasek, Eleni Gianulis (part of Darren's team and a friend), and Jeff Jernigan (who I think also at one time was Darren's room mate in the house, but I could be wrong about that).  Did all these folks go to U of Michigan?
I'm not sure about Eleni and Jeff. Eleni was Darren's assistant during H2$ (Jane Lynch's too later when she was on Broadway), so I think their friendship and working relationship developed from there, but I could be wrong. And my impression from stalking Jeff's Twitter just now is more that they met at the ASCAP office where Jeff works around the time Darren started on Glee, but I could totally be making that up. You're correct that they were roommates for a while.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Lin, for your reply. 
Lin wrote:
I think so, those are the ones listed on Metacritic so far. I wouldn't say the TVLine review is that negative - they chose to focus more on the things they didn't like in the write-up, but still gave it a "B" (and to put that more into perspective, they gave the first season a "B+"). And of course it's important that the show itself does well, but as a Darren fan, it's almost a bigger compliment to him when the overall more critical reviews still praise his performance, so I can't really mind it.  actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 1957542852  Metacritic counts all of these as positive btw, not mixed. Though I have to admit I'm a bit confused how they calculate their scores (mostly for the San Francisco Chronicle review).

Good point about TV Line giving a grade of "B" in its review.  I went back and changed my previous post about TV Line's review to indicate it gave the series a "B."  This reminds me of college and high school, when I would receive an English paper back from a teacher/professor with all his/her comments in red and I would think, "crap, bad grade," and it would be a "B."  haha.  Whatever.  Thanks for putting things in perspective by pointing out that TV Line gave The People v. O.J. Simpson:  American Crime Story (season 1 of ACS) a "B+". 

True, I always love to see Darren standing out in an article in terms of a critics' praise (of course!).  But I do want the show to succeed as well.   And I have faith that it will.  :happy face

Yes, Metacritic did view even the less ecstatic reviews by The Hollywood Reporter and TV Line as positive.  Their point system is wacky though.  They gave the San Francisco Chronicle review a score of "75," the same score as TV Line's review.   Weird.  Anyway, their total score of "81" is so far based on the 4 critics' reviews (The Hollywood Reporter, The New York Post, TV Line and The San Francisco Chronicle).  Source:  http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-american-crime-story

Rotten Tomatoes so far has listed 6 reviews, adding a review by the Salt Lake Tribune, dated January 8, and an article (that I don't think really is a full review) in The Washington Post, dated December 29, 2017.  They also list the new review by Variety, dated January 10, 2018.  Rotten Tomatoes does not list the TV Line Review. Their score for Versace right now is "100%."   Source:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/american_crime_story/s02/

Lin wrote:I agree with your point about TVLine not even watching all the available screeners, but considering Ricky and Penelope are still shooting some scenes, I doubt critics will get the final episode before the first one airs, so I can't really blame them for that.

I still don't understand why any critic wouldn't just wait until the finale was available to view, before giving a review for the entire series.  I guess this is an issue of "winning," by posting one's review before other critics post their reviews (since readers naturally will read the first reviews, but may miss later reviews when they all come out in a bunch)?

Thanks for your answer about Eleni and Jeff.  :happy face

Two "reviews" noted by Rotten Tomatoes (by The Salt Lake Tribune and The Washington Post):

The Salt Lake Tribune wrote:
'The Assassination of Gianni Versace' is gay allegory filled with fiction

January 8, 2018

The second season of “American Crime Story” is an absorbing, thought-provoking drama that will shock and disturb viewers.

[. . . ]

As a drama, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is somewhat uneven but engaging. And it breaks out of the TV crime-drama mold.

Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/tv/2018/01/07/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-is-gay-allegory-filled-with-fiction/

The Washington Post wrote:
'The Chi,' 'Versace,' 'Altered Carbon' and other winter shows to help you hibernate

December 29, 2017

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (Wednesday, Jan. 17, at 10 p.m. on FX): Having ignited a nonfiction reenactment craze with “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” Ryan Murphy and company return with this less-remembered tale of the psychopathic serial killer (Andrew Cunanan, played by Darren Criss) who murdered Versace (Edgar Ramirez) on the steps of the fashion mogul’s ­Miami mansion in 1997. The first episode hits a hoped-for sweet spot between fact and sensation — especially when Donatella Versace (Penélope Cruz) arrives to take over her brother’s empire.
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/the-chi-versace-altered-carbon-and-other-winter-shows-to-help-you-hibernate/2017/12/28/02cd7b7c-df65-11e7-8679-a9728984779c_story.html?utm_term=.0926ec3cf412

Two more reviews.

From acsversace-news:

I tend to disagree with some of the points made in this review.  His main complaints of Versace is that first, Gianni Versace is not famous enough of a figure (compared to O.J. Simpson) to base a series on, and secondly, it is disappointing that the cast of Versace as the second series of ACS is not famous enough, compared to how sensational was the cast of The People v. O.J. Simpson (the first season of ACS). 
Buffalo News wrote:
Jeff Simon: A few words about Versace, O.J. and Oprah

January 9, 2018

Versace begins at 10 p.m. Jan. 17.

It confronts a specific period's homophobia directly in a way that, despite the geometrically progressing acceleration of the subject everywhere, is still not all that common. Which is why, in its way, some will see it as brave, even now when gay subject matter has been routine for decades all over television.

But that is the whole point of Ryan Murphy's "American Crime Story" this time around.
Source:  http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/09/jeff-simon-a-few-words-about-versace-o-j-and-oprah/

Variety wrote:
TV Review: 'The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story' on FX

January 10, 2018

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” tells the story of homophobia in the late ’90s through a modern-day lens, but like so much of creator Murphy’s work, it is also interested in erasing the boundaries between the present and the past, often by heightening the drama of both.

[. . . ]

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace” opts for a story that emphasizes a titanic struggle of gay identity, ranging between the creative warmth of Versace, the corrosive shame of Cunanan’s earlier closeted victims and Cunanan’s own desperate striving. This isn’t a narrative about the mechanics of a trial, or even much about Versace himself, despite “American Crime Story’s” successful pedigree and this season’s subtitle. Rather, it takes the absence of details about Cunanan’s motivations and interprets a character from Orth’s framework.

The bulk of interpreting that character falls to writer Tom Rob Smith and actor Darren Criss, with mixed results. It’s hard to fault Criss for what is the most committed and impressive performance of his career, or Smith for assembling the facts about Cunanan into a narrative about the particular anxieties of gay identity in the ’90s. (Criss is practically born for this role: The actor, like Cunanan, is half Filipino.) It’s more that a murderer — particularly a murderer devoid of suspense, because we see him kill his most famous victim in the first scene — is a hard subject to extract eight hours of material from.  That a creepy man will continue to be creepy — or that a scary man will continue to be scary — has a chilling effect for an audience investing in story. . .

[. . . ]

That being said, the inverted narrative presents a fascinating opportunity to examine Cunanan’s life as one that progresses into the closet, instead of emerging from it — and at its sharpest moments, the show is able to demonstrate how the spectrum of Criss, like other muses of creator Murphy, is coaxed to a career-defining performance in this role: Slippery, fabulating and mercurial, he’s a ’90s-era “Talented Mr. Ripley.”

Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  http://variety.com/2018/tv/reviews/assassination-of-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-fx-ryan-murphy-darren-criss-ricky-martin-penelope-cruz-review-1202658402/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Two more positive reviews:

From dcriss-archive:

The Boston Globe wrote:
Assassination of Gianni Versace' traces the making of a monster

January 10, 2018

There are moments in FX’s outstanding “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” when serial killer Andrew Cunanan comes off like a horror movie villain. . . His round wire-framed glasses give him the air of an ordinary preppie, a civilized look he has carefully cultivated, but his eyes are like switchblades about to spring.

[. . . ]

Versace, too, becomes fully human in the series, much more than the chic celebrity Cunanan was obsessed with. The Versace family has come out against the series, in a statement whose words include “reprehensible,” “distorted,” and “bogus,” but Edgar Ramirez gives us a warm, gentle man.

[. . . ]

The outline of Miglin’s relationship with Cunanan is the clichéd tale of an older gay man succumbing to a handsome twink, but in the hands of Farrell (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Joe Biden here) and Criss, it transcends the familiarity.

[. . . ]

. . . “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is nonetheless extremely insightful, as well as consistently entertaining
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/television/2018/01/10/assassination-gianni-versace-traces-making-monster/YWKuoAjF5Og4prLFrzwmGN/story.html

via acsversace-news:

From Darren Criss Army:

Wow.
The Tracking Board wrote:
“THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE” REVIEW: DARREN CRISS KILLS IT AS GAY SERIAL KILLER ANDREW CUNANAN

January 10, 2018

Let’s just get this out of the way upfront, since the comparison is inevitable: The Assassination of Gianni Versace doesn’t quite reach the heights of The People vs. O.J. Simpson. But so what?

. . . And yet, on its own merits, Versace makes for addictive, phenomenal television. I was hooked from the opening scene,

Much like how the first season of ACS wasn’t really about O.J. Simpson, neither is the second season really about Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace. Instead, it inverts the first season’s formula and shifts its focus from the courtroom to the crime spree and the man behind it, Andrew Cunanan. . . And yet it proves to be a wise decision, since to be honest, the power struggle within the House of Versace isn’t half as interesting as the walking question mark that is Cunanan.

So let’s talk about the actual star of the show, Darren Criss. I know Criss is a big TV star thanks to Murphy’s earlier hit Glee, and he has two million Twitter followers and he’s a very famous guy. But I’m a professional entertainment consumer and I’d never seen him in anything before (though I almost rented Girl Most Likely once), so as far as I was concerned, he felt completely new to me, as I imagine he will to a lot of people who didn’t watch Glee. I suspect that those who did watch it won’t recognize ‘Blaine’ once they see Criss covered in blood, a crazed look in his empty eyes. He’s simply excellent here as Cunanan, a gay serial killer in the vein of Matt Damon’s talented Mr. Ripley, but of course, this manipulative sociopath with a 147 IQ is hardly a work of fiction. Criss is absolutely chilling here, and there’s a haunting sadness to his carefully calibrated breakout performance. I can’t say enough about Criss’ work, which will force you to look at the actor in a completely different light.

[. . . ]

Told all his life that he’s someone special, he’s stunned when others don’t see it, and Criss plays those moments of rejection quite beautifully.

I imagine that can be hard to comprehend when you’re as close to the story as the Versace family is, but if they take a step back — and I don’t even know if they’ve actually seen the series they’ve been so quick to criticize — they’d see there’s really no reason to be concerned. Gianni is depicted as a strong leader, one aware of his mortality and a better man for it. The producers, and Ramirez especially, treat him with the utmost respect, and once the Versace family sees the full series, I think their biggest issue will be with how the show sort of manipulates the audience into having sympathy for Andrew, more than it will be about the depiction of Gianni, which is generous and loving.

[. . . ]

This is a fascinating story about the making of a serial killer. A murderer finding his voice. It marks Tom Rob Smith as a major writer to watch, and Darren Criss as a force to be reckoned with. He delivers one of the most terrifying serial killer performance since Christian Bale starred in American Psycho, though Cunanan also reminded me, at times, of The Tooth Fairy from Manhunter and the serial killer in Copycat. 
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  http://www.tracking-board.com/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-review-darren-criss-kills-it-as-gay-serial-killer-andrew-cunanan/

Also:

From dcriss-archive:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2d6drCHXF1wpi2k2o1_1280
Link

Link:  http://www.sfchronicle.com/tv/amp/Versace-had-something-Cunanan-would-kill-12484939.php

-

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Just killing some time until Darren's on Jimmy Kimmel!

From Darren Criss Army:

@DarrenCriss 7 days. #ACSVersace

via Darren Criss Army

@ACSFX A dark obsession led to unthinkable tragedy. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story premieres in ONE WEEK on FX. #ACSVersace

via Darren Criss Army

From dcriss-archive:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2d0apPmwI1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2d0apPmwI1wpi2k2o2_540
Screencaps from The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (January 10th, 2018) | Source

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2crdoLoWt1wpi2k2o1_1280
dcriss-archive:
   Darren & Edgar Ramirez will be on BUILD Series on January 16th, 2018 at 4:00pm - 4:30 pm EST Source

This event will be streamed LIVE on BUILDseries.com

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ctw0QhdP1wpi2k2o1_1280

Backstage wrote:
Darren Criss is the Season’s New Song and Dance Serial Killer

Jan 10, 2018

While a desire for fame or recognition hardly seems of high value for Criss (“I take my work very seriously, but I don’t take myself seriously at all”), it’s a push-pull relationship between the public and private that certainly informed his take on Cunanan. Versace’s killer was obsessed with the rich and famous and had dreams of making his own way into society’s upper echelons. All of his lies were intended to make him appear better than he was. Within that, there was an underlying desperation to every move he made. “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is in part meant to explore how that desperation came to be.

[. . . ]

The No. 1 question people ask Criss about playing Cunanan also comes back to its natural, psychopathic emotional heft: “Is it crazy to be in a dark place?” While the role does require a certain level of brutality and psychiatric unease, the actor has two things to say to that. First is that it’s “no crazier than being a cisgender, heterosexual 20-something playing a gay singing teenager,” as he did on Fox’s “Glee,” also from Murphy. In other words, he’s embodying a character. “I’m not playing myself,” he says, “but you have access to emotions that those people go through, and you find as many common denominators as possible.” And second is that we all may be surprised by Cunanan’s less obvious, more human characteristics.

“We know Andrew was made famous by horrible things, but we don’t really know a lot about his life and who he was,” Criss says. “He was a really joyous, likable, affable, energetic young man…. You really question at what point could this have been you or any of us or anybody we know and love? Are we as awful as the worst thing we’ve ever done?”

Upon a bit of self-reflection, Criss says it’s that ever-present dichotomy of right and wrong, friend and foe, that keeps him acting in the first place. 

“That’s probably why I like acting so much: It bends people’s sense of empathy for the human experience,” he says. “I’m excited for people to experience something [with this show]. I don’t think people really know what’s coming, and that excites me endlessly.”

Something New

Darren Criss insists that despite his credits, he “kind of fell into musical theater by bizarre providence” and that he still views himself as “the actor who sings, not the singer who acts.” That made the opportunity to tap into the psyche of a murderer for nine hours of prestige TV all the more appealing. Ryan Murphy, for one, knew Criss had it in him all along. “The only person in the world who could play Andrew Cunanan is Darren Criss,” the creator says. “For several reasons: One is the obvious correct ethnicity. I thought that was very important to get that right. It would be a disservice to cast an Italian-American as a Filipino-American. But the other thing that was important to me is that I knew that it was going to be a very big, Shakespearean role. I don’t think that there’s going to be a bigger role on television next year in terms of difficulty. It’s him going through the deepest sociopathic impulses and emotional problems. I just thought that Darren is prime. He’s just turning 30 [and] I think that he’s ready to graduate to more difficult material and really try something hard…. I think people will be surprised and startled by his performance and excited because it’s the announcement of something new in his life.”
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  https://www.backstage.com/interview/darren-criss-seasons-new-song-dance-serial-killer/

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2cm151hNy1wpi2k2o1_400

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2cm151hNy1wpi2k2o2_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2cm151hNy1wpi2k2o3_400
Darren Criss Is the Season’s New Song + Dance Serial Killer

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2bqqjPxRy1wpi2k2o1_1280

Link

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

Dcriss-archive wrote:
Anyone with FX+ will be able to see a longer trailer of The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story with new content and you’ll be able to watch the first episode on January 12th, 2018.

**Commerical-free FX+ is currently available to Comcast Xfinity TV and Cox Contour subscribers who upgrade their service to include FX+ in their video package for $5.99 per month.

GQ wrote:

The Men at The Assassination of Gianni Versace Premier Were as Ridiculously Well-Dressed as You'd Expect
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Versace%20Cast

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Matt-bomber

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Darren-criss

Turtleneck Knits
GQ creative director-at-large Jim Moore will be the first man to tell you: the black turtleneck is the easiest way to upgrade any suit. Here, Matt Bomer shows a sophisticated way to wear the Gianni Versace-approved staple, while Darren Criss turned up the volume with an abstract floral jacket.
Source:  https://www.gq.com/story/assassination-of-gianni-versace-premiere-style

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

WARNING:  THE NEW ACS VERSACE EXTENDED TRAILER CONTAINS VIOLENT SCENES.

Lin was nice enough to try to warn me (but it was too late--I already saw the trailer).  I'm guessing most of you already saw the extended trailer too.  But if you haven't yet seen the trailer, there are some violent scenes.  Here's what our kind Lin warned me about:

The first 57 seconds are safe, but the only new Darren lines in that part are at the very beginning and then at the 0:54 mark.

You should stop after he says that new line ("isn't that special") if you want to skip the violent parts.

(After that there's a scene in the escort agency where she asks "do you have experience with older men?" and then the violence starts, intercut with Cunanan answering "I'm great with older men, it's a gift".

The next new (non-violent) scene is at 1:30, but no more new Darren clips.)

From Darren Criss Army:

The Bay Area Reporter wrote:
As the dystopian world turns

Last season’s “Feud” was tremendous, but “Versace” is brilliant. It is Ryan Murphy’s piece de resistance. It is the most breathtakingly real of all his creations and the gayest. It is an exquisite exposition of two lives running in parallel: that of the designer and that of his killer, serial murderer Andrew Cunanan.

In an opening scene, a detective asks Versace’s partner Antonio D'Amico, whose white shirt is stained with his lover’s blood, “But who was [Versace] really?” D'Amico takes a breath and says, “He was a genius.” Every scene plays like this, like grand opera, yet never over-the-top. It’s a balance that Murphy has not always been able to achieve, but when he has, the results have been perfection.

The cast is seamless. Darren Criss plays against type as the tortured killer Andrew Cunanan, in the role of his career. We were never fond of Criss’ bland Blaine on “Glee,” but here he sears through the story, projecting Cunanan’s mix of beauty and sociopathy with ease. Criss takes us deep into Cunanan, who developed shifting personae from the time he was in middle school, changing both his look and his affect to attract those he wanted in his orbit. Cunanan was also a life-long fabulist, and Murphy has written that deftly into the role.

Murphy told EW Criss was his only choice for the role after seeing him on Broadway in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.” “I just knew he could do it,” Murphy asserted. “More than that, I knew that he was superhungry and ambitious. When I saw ‘Hedwig,’ I knew he was capable of great darkness.”

Come for Criss, stay for Ricky Martin (Versace’s partner Antonio D'Amico), Edgar Ramirez (Versace) and the sublime Penelope Cruz (Donatella Versace)
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:   http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article.php?sec=television&article=310

Some more reviews I found on Metacritic:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:
Tuned In: Another excellent true crime tale in FX's 'Versace'

January 11, 2018

Featuring an Emmy-worthy performance by Mr. Criss, “Versace” is as much a true-crime story as it is an exploration of the cultural climate for gay men in America in the 1990s. Through this lens viewers see the cruelty and damaging unfairness of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy and the pain of alienation for gay men who felt they could not be open with their families.

“Versace” is not perfect — some episodes meander a bit and anytime the story takes viewers back to Versace and away from the other victims, it becomes less compelling — but it marks an early, strong entry for one of the best series of 2018.

There are a bounty of strong supporting players in “Versace,” including Mike Farrell (“M*A*S*H”), Judith Light (“Transparent”), Finn Wittrock (“American Horror Story”) and newcomer Cody Fern, but the true breakout performance comes from Mr. Criss, who capably inhabits the role of the sometimes desperate, sometimes pathetic and often creepy Cunanan.

“Versace” may not be quite on the level of the last “American Crime Story” installment, “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” but as true crime TV dramatizations go, it comes close.

Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2018/01/11/Tuned-In-The-Assassination-of-Gianni-Versace-American-Crime-Story-FX-review/stories/201801110012

This critic had issues with the series.  He did not mention anything about any of the actors' performances.
Time wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace and I, Tonya Interrogate a Moral Gray Zone

January 11, 2018

Morals suggest themselves in the spaces between what is known, but airing them at great length seems a disservice to the story we actually have.

[. . . ]

Cunanan, a shadowy figure even to journalists who’ve tried to understand his story, is knottier, and less easily understood. Reducing him to a morality-play story of a boy warped by his secrets is unsatisfying. It’s enough to make it relevant to an empathetic contemporary audience, but it’s not enough for a drama that uses the names and personae of people who really lived.
Source:  http://time.com/5098416/assassination-gianni-versace-i-tonya/

This critic also had issues with the series, including his unhappiness that the series did not focus more than it did on the Versace family, and the structure.  Brief mention of Darren's performance.  Note that Metacritic gave the Las Vegas Weekly's review of The People v. O.J. Simpson (season 1) a low score as well.  In fact, the Las Vegas Weekly's score of O.J. Simpson was even lower than Versace and was the lowest of all the Metacritic scores.
Las Vegas Weekly wrote:
The Latest 'American Crime Story' Takes on 'The Assassination of Gianni Versace'

January 11, 2018

A manipulative sociopath and compulsive liar, Cunanan is a tough protagonist to invest in for nine episodes, and while Criss makes him suitably unsettling, the show too often skews more toward the sleazy excesses of a ’90s erotic thriller than the methodical refinement of something like The Talented Mr. Ripley.
Source:  https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/film/2018/jan/11/american-crime-story-assassination-gianni-versace/

From Rotten Tomatoes:

The Playlist wrote:
'The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story' Is A Frustrating Showcase for Darren Criss [Review]

January 11, 2018

Cunanan is played by Darren Criss, and if there’s any takeaway from this whole endeavor it’s that Criss is a monumental talent and that will almost certainly win “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie” at the next Emmys ceremony. He’s breathtaking as Cunanan, a pathological liar and attention seeker who presents himself as being a dapper man-about-town with charisma to spare (he charms an American Express customer service agent into extending his line of credit over the phone — while simultaneously injecting heroin into his toe on the floor of his crappy motel room).

When “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is great, it’s because of Criss’s performance.   Whether Cunanan is lying his way into bed with the love of his life (a handsome young man by the name of David Madson, who ends up one of Cunanan’s early murder victims) or tracking his deadbeat father to the Philippines in the show’s most heartbreaking sequence, Criss plays it with just the ration of psychotic and pathetic. His performance is so outstanding that it’s a pity creator Ryan Murphy thought it necessary to underscore so many of his scenes with comically ominous music. Criss gets these shades of his character just right; the musical assist does nothing other than to push the show into melodrama.

[. . . ]

“American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace” will have one lasting legacy: jumpstarting Darren Criss’s career as a respected TV actor. There will also probably be memes (Criss, dressed in a flashy red leather suit, dancing wildly to “Whip It” is particularly gif-able). 
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:   https://theplaylist.net/gianni-versace-darren-criss-review-20180111/

Orlando Sentinel wrote:
'Black Lightning': CW series is Electrifying

January 11, 2018

Darren Criss is chilling as Andrew Cunanan, who gunned down the fashion designer in 1997, but does the serial killer merit an eight-part series?
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-et-black-lightning-cw-series-electrifying-20180106-story.html

Wall Street Journal wrote:
'The Assassination of Gianni Versace; American Crime Story' Review: A focus on the Manhunt

Jan. 11, 2018

The narrative focus on Cunanan—he’s the story—is what holds this 10-part saga together, and it does so compellingly throughout.

[. . .]

Mr. Criss is never less than persuasive as the well-educated, well-read and attractive charmer who murdered two of his former lovers when—according to the film’s version of his life—they rejected his lies about his fabulous background and achievements. In doing so, they had rejected him.
Source:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-review-a-focus-on-the-manhunt-1515705247

From dcriss-archive:

This is largely an interview.
My San Antonio wrote:
FX's Versace murder drama visceral and terrifying

January 11, 2018

While viewing the first four episodes, I didn’t smile once. What I did feel was stunned, sad, chilled, mortified and thoroughly sickened, as if someone had delivered a hard punch to my gut.

The drama is breathtakingly beautiful at times . . .

[. . . ]

“I loved that this was not glamorizing the Cunanan story, and we never want to do that on this show,” Murphy added. “I really loved how we laid into everybody who was affected, not just the people who were killed, but also the relatives, the siblings. I think what (Cunanan) did was very, very destructive, and the reasons why he did it — the homophobia of the day, which still persists — is something really topical.”

What both series have in common is they’re topical and reflective of the day.

“With ‘O.J.’ we looked at sexism and racism, and we are doing the same with this season,” Murphy said.

[. . . ]

As indicated before, it’s not an easily digested story: Each of the murders is terrifying, as is Cunanan’s manipulation and shaming of his victims.

However, it’s portrayed with such realism and emotional commitment by its magnetic and meticulous cast that you are hooked instantly and will want to see it through to its conclusion.

[. . . ]

As for Criss, people who’ve seen him in lighter roles, such as the singing-dancing Blaine in “Glee,” no doubt will be astonished by the intensity of the actor’s performance here, particularly when the sadistic side of Cunanan comes out.

However, Criss made sure he also found something likable about Cunanan, such as his charm, to turn in a fleshed-out portrayal.

To preserve his sanity through filming, he said, the role “didn’t come home with me. I know a lot of people who jump into these kinds of things, and it really consumes their whole lives. And maybe that’s just the kind of person I am, but my alibi of how that, sort of, works is I think what saved me is that Andrew compartmentalized so many things in his life: emotions, people, experiences. He could disassociate, and likewise, I could sort of disassociate.”
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/entertainment_columnists/jeanne_jakle/article/FX-s-Versace-murder-drama-visceral-and-12492111.php

A large part of this article is an interview.
Media Village wrote:
TCA:  Darren Criss Has the Role of a Lifetime in FX's "Versace"

January 11, 2018

For former Glee star Darren Criss, the only thing to be gleeful about while tackling his latest role was getting what the actor describes as "the role of a lifetime."  In FX's The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, the latest installment of the hit Ryan Murphy limited series franchise, Criss not only portrays spree-killer Andrew Cunanan, the man responsible for the brutal slaying of famed fashion designer Gianni Versace and several other men, he embodies him.  It was a challenge Criss relished and with which he wanted to take great care.  "I think the actor's job is to find the empathy in anybody [he is playing]," Criss (pictured above and below) told MediaVillage in a recent interview.  "I don't care if it's a football player or a scientist or in this case a ‘serial killer.’  You have to take into account not only the worst moments but the best moments and find as many common denominators between you and that person as possible.

[. . . ]

Despite having to humanize Cunanan in order to portray him, Criss wants two things known.  One: He's not fond of serial killers.  Two: while based on real events, the series is not a documentary.  He’s appreciative of the fact that much of Cunanan’s dialogue and the events are conjecture, with only Cunanan and his victims, all of whom did not survive his wrath, a party to them.

[. . . ]

"There has been a great sense of care that Tom has taken with Andrew," explains Criss.  "I think only he and I get to share this almost fondness, which I am scared to say, but it's your job [as an actor] to humanize the person you play.  As an over-empathetic person, I enjoy the challenge of people looking in and me saying, ‘How could you possibly find something good about this person?’  But there's still that bleeding idealist [in me] who wants to find the good in everybody.  I have to find that and exploit it as much as possible because we will [only] see the worst if not."

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
, premieres Wednesday, January 17 at 10 p.m. on FX.
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  https://www.mediavillage.com/article/darren-criss-has-the-role-of-a-lifetime-in-fxs-versace/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Premiere dates for various countries

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ffnkLs2B1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ffnkLs2B1wpi2k2o2_540

via dcriss-archive

In addition: 

Germany
January 29 on Sky Atlantic

United Kingdom

(no date) On BBC Two 

France
(no date) On Canal +

For those interested in watching Darren on the various talk shows:

Darren's Calendar:

January 15                Darren is on Good Morning America (GMA) on ABC

January 16                Darren & Edgar Ramirez on BUILD Series (NYC) 4-4:30 pm EST.  Streamed Live at https://www.buildseries.com/

January 17                Darren is on Live with Kelly and Ryan on ABC

January 17                Premiere of The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story on FX

January 17                Darren is on MTV TRL (NY)

If you also are interested on watching Edgar, Penelope and Ricky on the various talk shows:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_inline_p2fhceGg1v1tz53qh_1280

ADDED

Edgar on Jimmy Fallon on Jan 17
Ricky on Jimmy Fallon on Jan 18

UNCONFIRMED:

Penelope on Ellen on Jan 16

via Darren Criss Army

Live with Kelly and Ryan are having Darren, as well as Ricky and Edgar on.
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ezk7UCqZ1ubd9qxo1_1280

Ricky Martin, Darren Criss & Edgar Ramirez to appear on Live With Kelly & Ryan next week

Jan 16: Ricky Martin
Jan 17: Darren Criss
Jan 19: Edgar Ramirez

Full schedule information available here

via Darren Criss Army

Darren, Edgar, and Ricky are appearing on GMA (Good Morning America).
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2f7imgKBE1wcyxsbo3_r1_540
acsversace-news:
Edgar Ramirez will appear on Good Morning America on Tuesday, January 16 | Tickets

Ricky Martin will appear on Good Morning America on Wednesday, January 17 | Tickets

ALSO…

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_inline_p2f870bZF51tz53qh_400
Darren Criss will appear on Good Morning America on Monday, January 15 | Tickets

Link for Tickets:  https://1iota.com/Show/379/Good-Morning-America

via Darren Criss Army

From dcriss-archive:

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ff17lYuY1wpi2k2o1_1280
Darren on the cover of Backstage (January 11th, 2018) | Source

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2fa29HxhB1qbool4o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2fa29HxhB1qbool4o2_540
mypatronusismalec:
    Darren Criss featured in the February 2018 issue of Vanity Fair.

He is with the San Francisco Chronicle.  This is so cool that he found the actual announcement in the paper in 1998!
actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2f3h0YFQM1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2f3h0YFQM1wpi2k2o2_500

Matthew Gilbert wrote the Boston Globe review.  Rob Owen wrote the review in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ebeniRDX1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2ebeniRDX1wpi2k2o2_r1_540

She wrote the interview/review in My San Antonio.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2f3qjEwf51wpi2k2o2_540

X

She is an entertainment journalist with AM New York.

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2eqszWjPK1wpi2k2o1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2eucutpfP1wpi2k2o1_540

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2eucutpfP1wpi2k2o2_540

CanalFX_la: 7 días para que mate por fama. #ACSVersaceEnFX
*7 days before he kills for fame #ACSVersaceEnFX

via dcriss-archive

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2edjuqU7Z1wpi2k2o1_1280
mattdoylephoto: shooting with @DarrenCriss playing #andrewcunanan in new the #versace series on #acsversace photographed at @denbkstudios #Brooklyn #darrencriss #blackartemis #mattdoylephoto

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2f125Fm3L1wpi2k2o1_1280

From Darren Criss Army:

@ACSFX He killed to impress. Follow the path to the Assassination of Gianni Versace when FX’s award-winning limited series returns January 17. #ACSVersace @DarrenCriss

via Darren Criss Army

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2epv72xJO1ubd9qxo1_1280

actors - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 13 Tumblr_p2eq4i8zqr1ubd9qxo1_1280

https://instagram.com/p/Bd0lSKIhUDH/

Article by Maureen Orth.
Vanity Fair wrote:
Andrew Cunanan and the Assassination of Gianni Versace, Revisited

January 11, 2018

The author of the book upon which the upcoming season of Ryan Murphy’s American Crime Story is based discusses what has changed in the 20 years since the case gripped the nation, and what has not.

[. . . ]

“Darren Criss, who plays Cunanan, startled me because he looked so much like him. Criss is also half Filipino, just as Cunanan was.”

“Cunanan would have relished being played by Criss, who brings remarkable charisma and creepiness to the role. Still, the actor is cognizant of the pain and terror his victims will relive when the show airs. As he told me this fall: ‘My heart is really sensitive to the people who experienced something so horrible that I’m trying to breathe life into.’”
Please visit the site to give the article a number of "clicks."  Source:  https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/gianni-versace-murder-andrew-cunanan-maureen-orth-vulgar-favors

-

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum