Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 35]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

Interesting commentary from Foxtel Arts--they both loved the show and were very impressed with Darren's performance.
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 170x170bb
Track: Screen

Artist: Margaret Pomeranz & Graeme Blu

acsversace-news:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace, Darren Criss, and more
Margaret and Graeme review The Bookshop, sci-fi thriller Anon, and The Assassination of Gianni Versace, as well as talking to star Darren Criss. | 23 May 2018
via dcriss-archive

Warning:  Violence and spoilers.

The role Darren Criss was born to play

via dcriss-archive

Darren Criss talks about the ‘serendipity’ of playing a half-Filipino man in a major TV show | Source

via
dcriss-archive

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p98v1kguFU1wpi2k2o1_1280
Vote

Link to vote:  https://www.telltaletv.com/2018/05/vote-for-your-favorites-the-2018-tell-tale-tv-awards-final-round/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

Haven't had a chance to read the entire article.
News.com AU wrote:

With the weight of almost the entire nine episodes on his shoulders, Criss gives a nuanced and powerful performance that’s been talked about in terms of how many statues he’ll nab come awards season.

The key to that is that even though you see his character commit monstrous deeds, Criss imbues so much humanity in his portrayal that you can’t help but empathise with Cunanan.

Source:  http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tv-shows/the-role-darren-criss-was-born-to-play/news-story/c9c4938f442c09a9bc567855efe06222

Last edited by Poppy on Sun May 27, 2018 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9bifevOJb1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9b94qGJwv1wpi2k2o1_1280
darrencriss: I’m telling you, this is totally the pop group debut album cover that should’ve been… VIVA.

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo3_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo4_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo8_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo6_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo5_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9agjwH4dQ1wcyxsbo7_1280
acsversace-news:
Excerpts from issue no 5 of Emmy magazine (source) | 25 May 2018

I wanted to post a little more of this interview.  Warning:  Spoilers.  Please visit the site to read the entire article and to give it a number of "clicks."
News.com- Au wrote:

May 25, 2018

By structuring the series in reverse linearity and opening with the Versace murder before each subsequent episode takes a step backwards, to the other killings and back to Cunanan’s adolescence and childhood, it seeks to explain how someone as charismatic as him could end up where he did.

With the weight of almost the entire nine episodes on his shoulders, Criss gives a nuanced and powerful performance that’s been talked about in terms of how many statues he’ll nab come awards season.

The key to that is that even though you see his character commit monstrous deeds, Criss imbues so much humanity in his portrayal that you can’t help but empathise with Cunanan. But he’s quick to generously give the credit back to the audience.

“I think it’s less about my approach and more about your compassion,” he tells news.com.au in Sydney during a promotional tour. “Because the show goes in reverse it’s this inadvertent redemption tale because you’ve seen something awful and you so badly want something redeeming to happen.

[. . . ]

Like Cunanan, Criss is of mixed Anglo-American and Filipino heritage, grew up in California and attended private schools. And like Criss, Cunanan spent a good deal of time crafting different personas to present to the world, though he wasn’t getting paid and no one was filming him.

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace is Criss’ third collaboration with uber producer Ryan Murphy after Gleeand a bit part in one of the American Horror Story instalments. A prolific TV man with credits including Feud: Bette and Joan, Nip/Tuck, Scream Queens and, of course, American Crime Story: The People v O.J. Simpson to his name, Murphy has just signed a $US300 million output deal with Netflix. It significantly gazumps the $US100 million deal Netflix signed with Shonda Rhimes not that much earlier.

Murphy is also the reason why Criss took on the challenge of Cunanan. “He’s the golden child right now,” Criss says. “He’s at the front lines of this really incredible television renaissance that’s happening.

“You feel [on a Murphy series] not only is the story so interesting but that it’s going to be told in a very compelling way, and that people, putting ego aside, are going to watch it.

[. . .]

When Criss talks about how Cunanan’s non-Versace victims’ stories weren’t really told, he’s touching on the DNA that courses through the show. Murphy has said that American Crime Story isn’t about an individual crime but a national crime. In O.J., that was race, here it’s about the shame and homophobia surrounding and within the gay community in the nineties.

Cunanan’s victims didn’t receive real attention until Versace’s death, almost three months since his first victim Jeff Trail’s slaying, despite the fact that the FBI had Cunanan’s name and photo. Because three of his four earlier victims were gay, as was Cunanan himself, law enforcement either didn’t devote the resources necessary or didn’t think they could penetrate a subculture they didn’t want to understand.

“The ‘villain’ here is not just in the things that Andrew has done, but in the things around him that have enabled this person — societal things, things in his personal life, in his family life, the people around him, the city, the climate of American society in the nineties,” says Criss.

“It’s this bait-and-switch. We centralise it with a crime we tell our story around, but we investigate the crimes that allowed it to happen. . .  these factors have a negative contribution to someone who is already on shaky ground.

“There are similarities between where our society was in the nineties with where we are now and how fear and prejudice always seem to be in fashion. How do we avoid this kind of prejudice yielding such destruction?”

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace starts on Showcase on Foxtel tonight at 8.30pm. It will also be available on iTunes after the broadcast.
Source:  http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tv-shows/the-role-darren-criss-was-born-to-play/news-story/c9c4938f442c09a9bc567855efe06222

Interesting discussion of representation in Episode 8.
The Fix wrote:
Darren Criss talks about the 'serendipity' of playing a half-Filipino man in a major TV show

May 24, 2018

And while Darren Criss obviously has very little in common with Cunanan, there is one unexpected thing they share: both of them are half-Filipino. Cunanan was born to a Filipino-American father and an Italian-American mother; Criss’ mother is a native of Cebu and his father is of English, German and Irish descent. What are the chances that the producers could find someone who not only nailed the role performance-wise, but also ethnically? Especially given Hollywood’s history with whitewashing roles.

[. . . ]

Criss understands the impact that a story like Cunanan’s could have on a lot of people who don’t see themselves represented in pop culture, especially with the treatment it’s been given. “Somebody made the point that in episode eight, this was the first time on a television show with this scale that we were looking into the life of a Filipino family, and a Filipino man, a complex character, with so much weight and consideration to that experience,” Criss said. “This was the first time they were seeing this on TV, at least on popular television. I kind of took that for granted. You go, ‘Oh my God, that’s true, maybe that’s not something that would happen a lot.’ And to be a small part of that is really, really cool.”

Criss hopes that representation in pop culture continues to evolve, “not only for ethnicity or whitewashing, but for women and for all genders and sexualities.” And as a self-proclaimed “bleeding heart idealist,” he believes this will happen as long as the “right stories” come along, “and making sure we have storytellers that can include all people.”

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story is available to stream and screen on Foxtel from Thursday May 24.
Source:  https://thefix.nine.com.au/2018/05/24/16/44/darren-criss-interview-andrew-cunanan-assassination-gianni-versace

Note:  Reggie Lee said something similar to what Darren said about Episode 8.  Reggie Lee (Grimm, Prison Break), at point 1:20 of the video, talked about Jon Jon's role as Modesto Cunanan on Versace, stating:  "I have not seen an Asian-specific role that has been that carved out and that three-dimensional, I don't think really ever."   

Showbiz Tonight: Jon Jon Briones receives Visionary Award by East West Players

After wowing audiences as The Engineer in Broadway’s Miss Saigon and gaining mainstream fans playing a Filipino character in the “AHS: The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” actor/singer Jon Jon Briones was awarded one of the most prestigious awards in the Asian American entertainment community. | 3 May 2018

Darren wore a hair piece (hair pieces) to  make sure Darren did not look like himself.
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p97pylxpyT1rr00q0o1_1527131182_cover
Track: Darren Criss - Ash London Live Interview
Artist: Hit Network
Album: Ash London LIVE
belleybuttons:
Darren Criss interviewed on Ash London Live - 23 May 2018
via dcriss-archive

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

The Australian wrote:
Versace: Glee actor in a killer role

But by the end of this nine-episode series, Darren Criss’s depiction of the twisted fantasist and killer — his performance is being spoken of as an award contender — will sear into the memory.

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9kelaGgGf1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Darren’s Instagram Story (May 30th, 2018)

*Link

hollywoodreporter   #ACSVersace star @DarrenCriss on the powerful impact of #TimesUp: "Anything that affects the cultural landscape at all, whether its Hollywood or in the world, what's interesting is the way it shapes the narratives we're interested in ... we're seeing this wonderful rise of female voices in film and TV, and that's cool." Stay tuned for the Drama Actor Roundtable, coming tomorrow to THR.com.

Darren Criss on Portraying Real Person in ‘Assassination of Gianni Versace’ | Close Up With THR

The full Drama Actor Roundtable, also starring Matthew Rhys, J.K. Simmons, Jeff Daniels and Jason Bateman airs Sunday, July 8 on Sundance TV.    I'm interested in watching the full episode of the Drama Actor Roundtable.   I thought Darren did well in the Darren-edit that The Hollywood Reporter presented.   :happy face  I saw the other actors nodding their heads when Darren talked at the beginning of the video about how playing a real-life person who caused so much tragedy to real persons --sons, daughters, cousins, husbands and wives--affected Darren.  It threw me when he said that weighed on him "a little bit," because it seemed what he just said would lead to us concluding this issue weighed on him more than a little bit.  But I understand what he meant when  he said this is the type of project that actors really value and strive to be a part of.  I loved what he said about the "Me Too" movement and how other social issues affect the stories that Hollywood is telling.  Well done, Darren!  It must have been a bit intimidating to be taking part of a high profile discussion with respected actors, many of who are veteran actors--and Darren did a good job articulating his views. I also enjoyed THR video focusing on why Michael B. Jordan originally turned down "Fahrenheit 451" (his notebooks that he wrote for his characters also are really fascinating--how he really gets into the head of his characters).

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Darren Criss on "Weight" of Portraying a Real-Life Character in 'American Crime Story' | Drama Actor Roundtable

5/29/2018

Darren Criss opened up to The Hollywood Reporter on the reality of playing a real-life character, spree killer Andrew Cunanan, in FX’s ‘Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. Criss said he couldn’t help but think about, “the sons and daughters and cousins and husbands and wives of people that were affected” by Cunanan.

“That weighs on me a little bit,” he told THR during the Drama Actor Roundtable. Criss said he was able to identify with Cunanan, who died at age 27 by suicide, because, “that’s our job. We’re in the business of empathy. It doesn’t matter what my personal moral spectrum is.”

Criss went on to discuss the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements in Hollywood, being one of the two youngest members of the roundtable at age 31, along with Michael B. Jordan (Fahrenheit 451). 

“What’s interesting is the way that it’s shaping the narratives that we’re interested in,” Criss said, comparing the current hot-button issue to the world wars of the early 20th century, and how those stories were reflected on-screen. “We’re seeing this wonderful rise of female voices in film and television. That’s cool. That’s the flip side of all this.”

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story starring Criss aired in January on FX. The full Emmy Roundtables air every Sunday on SundanceTV beginning June 24 and on THR.com the following Monday. The full Drama Actor Roundtable, also starring Matthew Rhys, J.K. Simmons, Jeff Daniels and Jason Bateman airs Sunday, July 8 on Sundance TV. Tune in to THR.com/roundtables for more roundtables featuring talent from the year’s top shows.
Source:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/darren-criss-assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-drama-actor-roundtable-1114158

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9gw7o7Sn61wpi2k2o1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9gw7o7Sn61wpi2k2o2_1280
Darren Criss, Michael B. Jordan, Matthew Rhys, J.K. Simmons, Jeff Daniels and Jason Bateman pose for The Hollywood Reporter’s Drama Actor Roundtable | Source

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9kiyuBGD61wpi2k2o1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9kiyuBGD61wpi2k2o2_1280
Link

Link:  https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/hfpa-conversation-darren-criss-multitalented-piano-man

This is a very interesting  interview.  At point 30:20, he talks about representation in film and TV.    It's interesting what he said regarding diversity in Hollywood, that he believes the majority of the Hollywood industry have the best intentions and that even in cases of "whitewashing," that it's not as if the decision-makers are intentionally opposing diversity.   However, in my view, even if that is true, does that matter?  When you look at lack of representation, whether it's in student populations at colleges, in the workplace (especially in management or in certain professions), as well as in Hollywood, lack of representation often is a result of a lack of caring about the issue, about an apathy where representation is not really prioritized or highly valued.  Even in the situations where there is no bad motive or clear intentional discrimination against casting a person of color (especially in projects where the original source pertained to characters of color), the impact is still the same:  Obstacles are placed.  For example, a showrunner may have nothing against persons of color in general, but may feel that it's necessary to continue to cast actors who the "majority" of viewers would relate to or wish to view (an attractive white person) in order to maximize the marketability of the project, and thus make a deliberate casting decision that is adverse to diversity or representation.  The impact is the same:  There is still a wide-spread practice/pattern of shutting out and excluding persons of color/LGBTQ persons/women from having the same opportunities.  It still amounts to a lack of "equal opportunity" for "minority" persons.  But I'm glad Darren is proud of being a multi-racial person, and I thought this interview was very interesting.  :happy face
Golden Globe Awards --HFPA wrote:
HFPA in Conversation: Darren Criss, the Multitalented "Piano Man"

May 30, 2018

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Gettyimages-934772848

HFPA journalist Ruben Nepales met Darren Criss on a busy day at the Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills. Recently, Criss has been seen on FX's The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story playing a serial killer based on real-life criminal Andrew Cunanan. He is currently touring with his Gleeco-star Lea Michele.

At the beginning of this interview, Criss looks back to his childhood and confesses he didn’t like performing if he was told to do so. “If it was on my own fruition to do a song and dance number, then I’d be happy to. I guess I always wanted to because I enjoyed it, but if you told me to do something, I was like, no way.”

He grew up in San Francisco and Honolulu in a family he describes as very musical. “I grew up in a household where a lot of singing and music was around.”

In high school he was given a choice: did he want to be an Oscar or Grammy winner in the yearbook. “It was polite way to say you did music or theatre. And because I did both I got to choose. And the only reason why I chose the Grammy was because I thought it’d be a fun picture with my friend Michelle because we both played a ton of instruments, so I brought all my instruments and we took like a fun yearbook photo.”

After college, he formed a musical theatre StarKid with his friends and played Harry Potter on stage. In an interesting overlap, later in his life, he’d replace Daniel Radcliffe in the play How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. “When we met, I didn’t bring it up because I think it’s the pink elephant in the room. But this was years ago when I met him right before I did the show. He’s always been very friendly. We see each other around town every now and then and there are more interesting things to talk about than Harry Potter when we’re together for the brief moments we are together.”

Listen to the podcast to learn what he thinks about his stage debut at ten years old, what being a younger brother means to him, why he likes to introduce people to each other, why being part of Glee was like a lottery ticket for him, why he is only a piano man in his and his fiancée’s piano bar, Tramp Stamp Granny’s, how playing Andrew Cunanan affected him and what he seeks from the future - amongst other things.

via dcriss-archive

Darren Criss Talks All Things ‘American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace’

via dcriss-archive

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9iqmvCk7C1wpi2k2o1_1280
Darren’s episode of Variety Studio: Actors On Actors to air June 19th, 2018 at 7:00PM

The episode will stream on pbssocal.org following the premiere.

You can check here for other dates and times.

Australian Press.  :happy face
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9jsk2T9LK1wcyxsbo1_1280

DARREN CRISS ON HOMOPHOBIA IN ‘THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE’

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From acsversace-news:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9m88vLNQA1wpi2k2o1_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9m88vLNQA1wpi2k2o2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9m88vLNQA1wpi2k2o3_1280
dcriss-archive:
Link

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9m8vtjZGT1wpi2k2o1_1280
dcriss-archive:
Via Darren’s Instagram Story (May 31st, 2018)

Link

Feinberg Forecast: Emmy Standings in the Run-Up to Nominations Voting

May 30, 2018

THR's awards columnist Scott Feinberg offers his fourth assessment of the Emmys race -- 18 categories -- 12 days before polling begins.

The charts below reflect how THR’s awards columnist Scott Feinberg believes the Emmy standings would look if voting for the 2018 race ended today. (Work released between June 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018 is eligible.) These projections are formulated using a combination of personal impressions (from sampling many programs), historical considerations (how shows with similar pedigrees have resonated), precursor awards (some groups have historically correlated with the TV Academy more than others) and consultations with industry insiders (including voters, content creators, awards strategists and fellow members of the press).

Best Limited Series

FRONTRUNNERS

(FX)

The Looming Tower (Hulu)
Godless (Netflix)
Patrick Melrose (Showtime)
Genius (National Geographic)

Best Actor in a Limited Series or a Television Movie

FRONTRUNNERS

Darren Criss (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

John Legend (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Al Pacino (Paterno)
Benedict Cumberbatch (Patrick Melrose) — podcast
Jeff Daniels (The Looming Tower) — podcast
Antonio Banderas (Genius: Picasso)

Best Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Television Movie

Jeff Daniels (Godless) — podcast
Brandon Victor Dixon (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Tahar Rahim (The Looming Tower)
Peter Sarsgaard (The Looming Tower)
Bill Camp (The Looming Tower)
Edgar Ramirez (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

MAJOR THREATS

Ricky Martin (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

Sam Waterston (Godless)
Scoot McNairy (Godless)
Alex Rich (Genius: Picasso)
Bill Pullman (The Sinner)
Michael Shannon (Fahrenheit 451) — podcast
Hugo Weaving (Patrick Melrose)

POSSIBILITIES

Beau Bridges (Mosaic)
Cody Fern (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)
Alice Cooper (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Dylan Baker (Little Women)
Robert Forster (Twin Peaks)
Luke Evans (The Alienist)
Jason Ritter (The Tale)

Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Television Movie

FRONTRUNNERS

Merritt Wever (Godless)
Nicole Kidman (Top of the Lake: China Girl) — podcast
Penelope Cruz (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)
Judith Light (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

Angela Lansbury (Little Women)
Ellen Burstyn (The Tale)

Source:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/emmys-2018-feinberg-forecast-1115440

From dcriss-archive:

"Don't Let the Business Kill the Love": The Drama Actor Roundtable

May 31, 2018

There are few things that can make a sextet of generally loquacious actors freeze up faster than an open-ended question about gender pay parity. Unlike their female counterparts, many of whom have not only forced the dialogue but also demanded action via the Time’s Up movement, the men gathered for The Hollywood Reporter’s annual television Drama Actor Roundtable find themselves looking awkwardly around the table, waiting to see who will bite.

On this afternoon in late April, it's Ozark’s Jason Bateman, 49, who jumps in first; but it doesn’t take long before The Americans’ Matthew Rhys, 43, interjects, diffusing any tension with a joke — which, to everyone’s delight, changes both the tenor and the direction of the discussion. Fortunately, the group — which also includes J.K. Simmons, 63 (Starz's Counterpart); Jeff Daniels, 63 (Hulu's The Looming Tower, Netflix's Godless); Michael B. Jordan, 31 (HBO's Fahrenheit 451); and Darren Criss, 31 (FX's American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace) — is considerably better suited for an eclectic and often hilarious conversation about the easy yesses (and easier nos), the roles still on their bucket lists and, yes, the on-set politics of prosthetic penises.

[. . . ]

Darren, you signed on to play Andrew Cunanan, who is not only a real person but also a serial killer. What were your concerns going in?

CRISS
 I’ve been lucky, I kind of fell ass backwards into the Ryan Murphy camp, which has been the gift that keeps on giving. The only thing that gave me pause was playing a real person, and this particular person had very lasting effects on people who are still alive and the echoes of the tragedy and the destruction that he wrought. I couldn’t help but think about the sons and daughters and husbands and wives who were affected by this guy, and now they’re like, “Oh God, we have to revisit this and make it pop culture fodder.” That weighs on me.

JORDAN
 Did you ever think about reaching out to them at all?

CRISS
 I thought about it. Out of almost respect to them, I didn’t want to bug them about it. Again, this is a horrible thing to have to think about, so I let it go.

[. . . ]

The world has changed in the past six months, whether you define it as the #MeToo era or the Time's Up era. How have your perspective and your conversations changed in that time?

SIMMONS
Hollywood is a self-obsessed place, but the perception of this as a Hollywood issue is the main thing that I take issue with. Obviously having a heightened awareness of this and people being discovered and called on the carpet and prosecuted, presumably, is good for everybody involved except for the culprits, who are deserving, but it's way, way, way, way beyond Hollywood.

CRISS
What's interesting is we're seeing this wonderful rise of female voices in film and TV, and that's cool. It's like a revolution, this kind of awakening and shift in the way we're prioritizing our storytelling and who gets the loudspeaker. I think it's going to the right people.

[. . . ]

Complete this sentence. I wish Hollywood would cast me as …

CRISS
Give me a sword and armor or put me in a hat. I don't know, something genre-y and totally off what I just did.

BATEMAN
I'm really enjoying being in this one specific lane, which is the audience's proxy, like just a normal guy who gets to inhabit the center of the story and is your lens through which you are observing and experiencing this odd plot or group of people or scary guy or funny guy. I'm really enjoying that as opposed to playing a bunch of different characters. Having said that, I'd love to play a woman.

CRISS
It's fun.

[ . . . ]

All right, final question: If you could go back and give advice to your younger self starting out in this industry, what would you say?

CRISS
I don't know, I feel like I've made all the right mistakes and all of it got me to this Roundtable with you guys.

SIMMONS
And your younger self is 11. (Laughs.)

BATEMAN
There are peaks and there are valleys, and how you enter into that valley dictates your ability to get out of it, in terms of confidence and self-esteem and identity. And if that is wrapped up into your ability to be employed, then things could be challenging because you can't control that. Even if you're really good at what you do, you can't count on being hired, so whatever confidence you have should be substantiated by something above and beyond getting hired.

DANIELS
I would tell [my younger self] not to let the business kill the love for why you got into it. I talk to college kids sometimes, and you can't teach them about the rejection, you can't prepare them for that, for the bitterness, the depression, all that stuff that comes because of the peaks and valleys of a career. But don't let it kill the love for what comes between action and cut. Hang on to that because you're gonna need that. That's what I would tell him.

Michael, can you follow that?

JORDAN
No, man, that's deep. Hmm …

CRISS
You haven't screwed up hard enough yet, maybe that's it. (Everyone nods.)

DANIELS
And when you do fail, Michael, when you fail miserably … (Laughter.)

BATEMAN
Let us know!

DANIELS … you're still the good actor you were before that. Hang on to that.

JORDAN
I appreciate that. And I will.

SIMMONS
I'll give credit to Mark Ruffalo, who said this, but, "I would look my young, aspiring actor in the eyes and say, 'It'll be OK.'" And whether that means you're gonna have this fabulous career and become Mark Ruffalo or end up going a different direction …

CRISS
You're gonna be fine.

SIMMONS
It'll be OK.

Source:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/jason-bateman-jeff-daniels-michael-b-jordan-at-actor-roundtable-1115084

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From acsversace-news:

SAG Foundation had a similar event in Los Angeles with Darren.

SAG-AFTRA Foundation wrote:
Program Type:
CONVERSATIONS

Title:
THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE: AMERICAN CRIME STORY

Featuring:
Penélope Cruz

Date:
Monday, June 4, 2018

Time:
3:00 PM
Check-in begins at: 2:15 PM

Join us for a screening followed by a Q&A with Penélope Cruz.

Moderated by Kristen Baldwin, Entertainment Weekly.

SYNOPSIS

Inspired by actual events, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story is the second installment of FX’s award-winning limited series, American Crime Story.

Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk, Alexis Martin Woodall, Dan Minahan, Tom Rob Smith, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski are Executive Producers of The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. It is written by Tom Rob Smith, and Ryan Murphy directed the premiere episode of the series, which stars Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin.  The series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

From dcriss-archive:

ELLE Talks To Darren Criss About Acting In His Underwear For ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’

Such a lovely pic.  :happy face
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9s4zbRa6C1wpi2k2o1_1280
Source

News.com - Au wrote:
Darren Criss lands killer role in Gianni Versace assassination series

June 2, 2018

American Crime Story 2: The Assassination of Gianni Versace has already aired in the US, what’s been the reaction?

I’m just thrilled people have watched it — not for my own ego — but because it’s such a fascinating and compelling story that raises so many questions. It’s the kind of show that I’d like to talk about, even if I wasn’t in it!

We don’t totally know Cunanan’s motivation for the serial killings, do we?

I don’t think it is as simple as this guy wanted fame and fortune or glory. It’s sort of a pretty big cocktail of a lot of unfortunate factors.

And the crimes around that crime?

The show tries to hone in on this theme of homophobia in the United States. One of the great things about American Crime Stories is that we centralise our story on a crime, but we kind of really investigate and explore the other crimes around that, and how they affected the central crime, and vice versa. The first series (The People v O.J. Simpson) obviously is centred on the murder, but what it is really investigating is racism in Los Angeles; and what that trial meant for national black identity. What we focus on here (Versace) is how homophobia plays a hand in these crimes — not just for Cunanan and Versace, but how it manifests itself in the FBI and in the military.

20 years on, those issues are still relevant.

Absolutely. It’s unfortunate, fear and prejudice always seem to be in fashion in one way or another.

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace, Foxtel, showcase, Thursdays, 8.30pm; also available Foxtel On Demand
Source:  https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/darren-criss-lands-killer-role-in-gianni-versace-assassination-series/news-story/18645ff52e26e4447b5bbe287fcc566e

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9ohnq5H7o1wcyxsbo1_1280
acsversace-news:
FX launches FX+ VIP streaming service just for Emmy voters

FX is making it easier than ever to ensure Emmy voters can watch all of its shows any time they want. The network has launched FX+ VIP, a commercial-free streaming service for TV Academy members that contains all seasons of its current series.

Academy members can sign up by downloading the app and entering the unique code that was sent to every member. The service is available to members until Aug. 31, four days after voting ends to determine the winners.

FX has lots of contenders in play this year, including Best Comedy Series favorite “Atlanta,” “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” “American Horror Story: Cult,” “Baskets,” “Better Things” and “The Americans,” which ended its six-season run on Wednesday.

As a bonus, if members join Thursday, they will get a special preview of the “Pose” series premiere on the app starting at 12:01 a.m. ET / 9:01 p.m. PT. “Pose,” Ryan Murphy‘s last new series for FX before he moves to Netflix, will debut on Sunday at 9/8c, but won’t be eligible until next year’s Emmys.
Source:  https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/darren-criss-lands-killer-role-in-gianni-versace-assassination-series/news-story/18645ff52e26e4447b5bbe287fcc566e

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9p03x60wH1wpi2k2o1_1280

festivaltvmc: @DarrenCriss from the series @ACSFXBR is ready for the #FTV18 ! What about you ?

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 170x170bb
Track: Conversation 17 - Darren Criss
Artist: The HFPA In Conversation
acsversace-news:
Conversation 17 - Darren Criss
HFPA journalist Ruben Nepales met Darren Criss on a busy day at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills to talk about his role as Andrew Cunanan in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. They also discuss Darren’s growing up in a musical family, his college musical group StarKid, A Very Potter Musical, and what it was like replacing Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway. They also talk about his role as Blaine Anderson on Glee, touring with Lea Michele, and opening a new piano bar with his fiancée. | 30 May 2018
via dcriss-archive

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9tz5eWDOD1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9tn2ehVjr1wpi2k2o1_1280
Link

acsversace-news:
Conversations with Darren Criss of THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE: AMERICAN CRIME STORY
Q&A with Darren Criss. Moderated by Henry Goldblatt, Editor in Chief of Entertainment Weekly. 

Inspired by actual events, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story is the second installment of FX’s award-winning limited series, American Crime Story. 

Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk, Alexis Martin Woodall, Dan Minahan, Tom Rob Smith, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski are Executive Producers of The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. It is written by Tom Rob Smith, and Ryan Murphy directed the premiere episode of the series, which stars Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez, Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin.  The series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

Look at those eyes.  Sheer intensity.  Scary.  Cold.  Can you imagine if you were eating at a restaurant and your eyes meet these eyes?  A chill would go down your spine!  wha?
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9xjx82VuC1wpi2k2o1_1280
rockerrick: Well, this is cool

Haven't had a chance to listen to all of this yet.

acsversace-news:
Jonathan Groff, Angela Bassett, Maggie Gyllenhaal, David Harbour, Mandy Moore and Darren Criss on their latest roles
Jonathan Groff of “Mindhunter,” Angela Bassett of “9-1-1,” Maggie Gyllenhaal of “The Deuce,” David Harbour of “Stranger Things,” Mandy Moore of “This Is Us” and Darren Criss of “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” discuss their roles on the television drama series. | 6 June 2018
via dcriss-archive

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9xipuaPm71wpi2k2o1_400

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9xipuaPm71wpi2k2o3_r1_400

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9xipuaPm71wpi2k2o2_400
Source | X X X

MSN wrote:
Jonathan Groff, Angela Bassett, Maggie Gyllenhaal, David Harbour, Mandy Moore and Darren Criss on their latest roles

June 6, 2018

Jonathan Groff of "Mindhunter," Angela Bassett of "9-1-1," Maggie Gyllenhaal of "The Deuce," David Harbour of "Stranger Things," Mandy Moore of "This Is Us" and Darren Criss of "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" discuss their roles on the television drama series.
Source:  https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/video/jonathan-groff-angela-bassett-maggie-gyllenhaal-david-harbour-mandy-moore-and-darren-criss-on-their-latest-roles/vp-AAyiSfd

via acsversace-news

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9vrq5hmvN1wpi2k2o1_1280
kmannmakeup: How great are these two together @mandymooremm @darrencriss in @variety #actorsonactors issue out now.  #photo @yopeteryang #hair @streicherhair #styling @cristinaehrlich @kevinmichaelericson #makeup and #grooming by me #kindramannmameup #darrencriss #styling @ashleypweston

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9vtxyJuSq1wcyxsbo1_1280
acsversace-news:
May 31, 2018 - Issue 19A - Emmys - TV Movies, Limited Series, Docs

Emmys Special - TV Movies, Limited Series, Documentaries

Peak TV’s Race for Maximum Buzz - With hundreds of shows vying for votes, networks and streamers are turning to bigger stunts in hopes of catching voters’ attention.

Emmy Magazine: Under the Cover with American Crime Story

From acsversace-news:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9x6rbzNYz1wcyxsbo1_1280
The Assassination of Gianni Versace FYC ad in the June 4, 2018 issue of The Hollywood Reporter

Gold Derby wrote:
Emmy race for Limited Series is a 3-way race, according to Editors: ‘Versace’ vs. ‘Godless’ vs. ‘The Looming Tower’

June 6, 2018

. . . There doesn’t seem to be as decisive a favorite in the 2018 race — at least, not according to our Editors who cover awards year-round for Gold Derby. There are only three programs they all agree will be nominated: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” “Godless” and “The Looming Tower.” But they don’t agree on which will win.

As of this writing “Versace” is the front-runner to win with 9/5 odds based on the combined predictions of more than 2,000 Gold Derby users. That includes support from four out of eight Editors: Joyce Eng, Marcus James Dixon, Tom O’Neil and myself. “Versace” is the second season in FX’s true-crime anthology series “American Crime Story” that began in 2016 with “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” which swept the Emmys that year, including Best Limited Series. So the academy has already shown their fondness for the show. It stands to reason voters would rally around producer Ryan Murphy again, right?

[ . . . ]

So do you agree with our Editors that this is a three-way race?

Source:  http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/emmys-limited-series-versace-godless-the-looming-tower-news-197386042/

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo1_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo2_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo3_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo4_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo5_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo6_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo7_r2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjqb2WCj1wcyxsbo8_r2_1280
The cast of The Assassination of Gianni Versace featured in the May 2018 issue of Emmy Magazine (part 2)

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo3_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo4_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo5_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo6_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo7_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo8_r1_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wjlyc8aA1wcyxsbo9_r1_1280
The cast of The Assassination of Gianni Versace featured in the May 2018 issue of Emmy Magazine (part 1)

This is cool.  :happy face
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wgieXNDC1wcyxsbo1_r1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9wgieXNDC1wcyxsbo2_r1_1280
The Assassination of Gianni Versace FYC ads in the May 31, 2018 issue of The Hollywood Reporter

Feinberg Forecast: T-Minus One Week Until Nomination Voting

6/5/2018

The charts below reflect how THR’s awards columnist Scott Feinberg believes the Emmy standings would look if voting for the 2018 race ended today. (Work released between June 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018 is eligible.) These projections are formulated using a combination of personal impressions (from sampling many programs), historical considerations (how shows with similar pedigrees have resonated), precursor awards (some groups have historically correlated with the TV Academy more than others) and consultations with industry insiders (including voters, content creators, awards strategists and fellow members of the press).

Best Limited Series

FRONTRUNNERS

(FX)

The Looming Tower (Hulu)
Godless (Netflix)
Patrick Melrose (Showtime)
Genius (National Geographic)

Best Actor in a Limited Series or a Television Movie

FRONTRUNNERS

Darren Criss (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

John Legend (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Al Pacino (Paterno)
Benedict Cumberbatch (Patrick Melrose) — podcast
Jeff Daniels (The Looming Tower) — podcast
Antonio Banderas (Genius: Picasso)

Best Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Television Movie

FRONTRUNNERS

Jeff Daniels (Godless) — podcast
Brandon Victor Dixon (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Edgar Ramirez (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)
Tahar Rahim (The Looming Tower)
Peter Sarsgaard (The Looming Tower)
Bill Camp (The Looming Tower)

MAJOR THREATS

Ricky Martin (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

Sam Waterston (Godless)
Scoot McNairy (Godless)
Bill Pullman (The Sinner)
Alex Rich (Genius: Picasso)
Michael Shannon (Fahrenheit 451) — podcast
Hugo Weaving (Patrick Melrose)

POSSIBILITIES

Cody Fern (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

Beau Bridges (Mosaic)
Alice Cooper (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Dylan Baker (Little Women)
Robert Forster (Twin Peaks)
Jason Ritter (The Tale)

Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Television Movie

FRONTRUNNERS

Merritt Wever (Godless)
Nicole Kidman (Top of the Lake: China Girl) — podcast
Penelope Cruz (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)
Judith Light (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story)

Angela Lansbury (Little Women)
Ellen Burstyn (The Tale)

Source:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/emmys-2018-feinberg-forecast-1117004/item/best-variety-talk-series-1117027

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9zev6l3271wpi2k2o1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9zev6l3271wpi2k2o2_1280
X X

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yx4t6OrE1wpi2k2o2_540
X | X

Los Angeles Times wrote:
What happens when you get Mandy Moore, Angela Bassett and other actors together? Just watch

June 7, 2018

It’s the kind of ensemble that would make for a most epic cross-over TV episode. The Envelope gathered six actors who keep viewers glued to their screens (whichever form that may take) each week — Angela Bassett, who plays a police officer with a fractured home life on Fox’s “9-1-1”; Darren Criss, who plays killer Andrew Cunanan in FX’s “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”; Jonathan Groff, who portrays an FBI agent and criminal profiler in Netflix’s “Mindhunter”; Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays a prostitute-turned-porn producer in HBO’s “The Deuce”; David Harbour, who stars as a gruff and tortured police chief in Netflix’s “Stranger Things”; and Mandy Moore, who plays America’s favorite time-jumping matriarch on NBC’s “This Is Us” — to discuss their craft. Which they did, at some length, but not without also covering secrets on set, cynicism and the lessons of “Gilligan’s Island.”

Here is an excerpt from their conversation, edited for length and clarity.

How did these roles for you challenge your comfort zone?

Darren Criss: This was the first time I had a real leading position. So the challenge was less about the content of the role and more about the workload itself. And that is exciting because it's fun to be in a position to sort of set a tone, in a crew and in a set.

FULL ARTICLE | LATIMES.COM
Source:  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-st-drama-roundtable-20180607-story.html

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9ytypei1O1smsoc8o5_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9ytypei1O1smsoc8o2_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9ytypei1O1smsoc8o1_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9ytypei1O1smsoc8o4_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9ytypei1O1smsoc8o3_1280
jgroffdaily:
Jonathan Groff, Angela Bassett, Maggie Gyllenhaal, David Harbour, Mandy Moore and Darren Criss in the June 7 issue of Los Angeles Times

(Right-click and open link in new tab to read in full-size)

Aw.  :happy face
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9z13fcgXM1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yxb5kuoT1wpi2k2o1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yxb5kuoT1wpi2k2o2_540
ashleypweston: It’s finally out! #TBT to this fun morning when @darrencriss & @mandymooremm were interviewing each other for @variety’s Actors on Actors event! #AWerk #darrencriss #actorsonactors #acsversace @yopeteryang Grooming @kmannmakeup

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9x9btmPnD1wcyxsbo1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9x9btmPnD1wcyxsbo2_540
acsversace-news:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace FYC billboard ads (Source)

From Darren Criss Army:

Looking forward to watching on July 8.  :happy face
Broadway World wrote:

Sundance TV's Original Series CLOSE UP WITH THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER Returns June 24 with All-New Episodes

June 7, 2018

The new season, with TV Executive Editor Lacey Rose moderating six episodes and Awards Editor Rebecca Ford helming one, will include passionate and candid conversations with A-list talent from the year’s most acclaimed series.

DRAMA ACTORS - July 8th at 10 am ET

Jason Bateman - “Ozark” (Netflix)

Darren Criss - “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: AMERICAN CRIME Story” (FX)

Jeff Daniels - “The Looming Tower” (Hulu) / “Godless” (Netflix)

Matthew Rhys - “The Americans” (FX)

J.K. Simmons - “Counterpart” (Starz)

Michael B. Jordan - “Fahrenheit 451” (HBO)

Source:  https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Sundance-TVs-Original-Series-CLOSE-UP-WITH-THE-HOLLYWOOD-REPORTER-Returns-June-24-with-All-New-Episodes-20180607

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

ACS Versace starts this Sunday on the Belgian TV channel Q2. Some local media talk about it.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
Jeremy wrote:ACS Versace starts this Sunday on the Belgian TV channel Q2. Some local media talk about it.

That's great,Jeremy!  Thank you for posting the channel and the date.  :happy face

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

Wow, isn't Mandy Moore the most gracious person?  She seems like such a sweetheart.  I was thinking it made so much sense to pair up Darren with Mandy for the photo shoot--two sweet, kind, down-to-earth people.  heart  
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa12r1nDXi1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Mandy Moore’s Instagram Story (June 8th, 2018)

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa0zzxsuZa1wpi2k2o1_1280

X

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa0zwcogCU1wpi2k2o1_1280

Aw, so sweet.  Well done, Darren.  heart
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa0zl7rlsD1wpi2k2o1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa0zl7rlsD1wpi2k2o2_540
darrencriss: I adore this photo but not as much as I adore this woman. When they told me I was gonna do this with @mandymooremm I couldn’t believe it. What an angel. So thrilled for her recent triumph in #ThisIsUs but also thrilled that she checks two personal favorite boxes #DisneyPrincess ✔️ AND #2000sPopStar ✔️ - A real winner, folks.

Didn't get a chance to post this yesterday (from dcriss-archive):
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yz83Zf8x1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yz83Zf8x1wpi2k2o2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yz83Zf8x1wpi2k2o3_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yz83Zf8x1wpi2k2o4_1280
Source

From acsversace-news:

Paste Magazine wrote:
The 20 Best TV Shows of 2018 (So Far)

June 8, 2018

T1. The Americans / Atlanta / The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
Network: FX

One is a period espionage drama that transposes kin and country until the two become indistinguishable. One is a surrealist horror-comedy about the black experience in America. One is a potent, political, possibly even dangerous reconsideration of what it means to be called “faggot,” and then what it means to become one. That the year’s finest drama, comedy, and limited series to date aired on the same network is enough to suggest FX’s place as the medium’s most fruitful venue for creative expression, besting competitors AMC, HBO and Netflix, to say nothing of the Big Three broadcasters. But in The Americans’ instant-classic final season, in Atlanta’s fairy tale provocations, in The Assassination of Gianni Versace’s bracing quest to queer convention, FX’s brilliant year also reaffirms the importance of leadership, from writers’ rooms to boardrooms and all the places in between: Since the days of The Shield, CEO John Landgraf has quietly emerged as one of the most influential figures in American pop culture, and his network’s unmatched artistic achievements in the first half of 2018 will be remembered as his pièce de résistance. —Matt Brennan
Source:  https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/the-20-best-tv-shows-of-2018-so-far.html

Entertainment Weekly wrote:
The 16 best TV shows of 2018 (so far)

June 8, 2018

Kristen’s No. 1: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

KRISTEN:
Honestly, is NoHo Hank TV’s most likable Chechen mobster ever? I hope he and Barry stay friends in season 2. Well, Darren, we’re at my No. 1 show of the year (so far), and it will likely not come as a surprise to you: FX’s The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. Though named for the famous designer, Versace used his murder to tell the stories of Andrew Cunanan’s earlier victims, and to examine the societal prejudices and neglect that rendered the gay community so vulnerable during Cunanan’s crime spree. Also no surprise: The cast and the performances were remarkable, and if Darren Criss (who played Cunanan) and Judith Light (as the wife of one of his victims, Lee Miglin), do not win big come Emmy season, it will be (ahem) a crime.
Source:  https://ew.com/tv/best-tv-shows-2018-so-far/

Another voting site.  I included mostly because the commentary about Darren's acting near the bottom.
Carter Matt wrote:
Emmy Preview 2018: Actor in a Limited Series / TV Movie wishlist; vote for your favorite!

June 7, 2018

What shows should be nominated for Actor in a Limited Series / TV Movie at the 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards? We are back with another edition of our annual CarterMatt Emmy Preview Series to answer this very question!

This category may not have more potential nominees than any other that is out there, but we do certainly think that it’s one of the most varied. Effectively, you have performers in here who played a character for a good ten episodes of television competing against some who may have played someone for just two hours. This category is about being economical and figuring out the best way in which to use your time. Our wishlist features actors who truly did that and played memorable people, fictional or not, who we will remember for some time to come.

In addition to sharing both our dream nominees and some other likely possibilities based on current industry projections, at the bottom of this article is a poll for you to vote for your own favorites! We will announce our reader picks on July 11, 2018, one day before the actual Emmy nominations are announced. Hopefully, this is a way to kick off the Emmy campaign period in a fun, super-engaging manner for everyone.

Voting Rules – Vote however many times you like! Voting is open between now and 1:00 p.m. Pacific time on July 11. By voting, you consent to have your vote tabulated in the final result. As a reminder, CarterMatt polls are simply for fun and to help aid in Emmy campaigns. Voting for the Emmys themselves is conducted by members of the Television Academy.

[. . . ]

Actor in a Limited Series / TV Movie – CarterMatt Wishlist

Darren Criss
, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) – You can claim that his appearance on Glee was his breakout role, but playing Andrew Cunanan is the role that revolutionizes him as an actor. He was a dark, disturbed, and tortured man with a difficult past, and the challenge Criss faced here was developing him outward into something connectable. While Cunanan may not be worthy of sympathy, you should see the steps that led to many of his actions. Darren plays that journey wonderfully throughout the limited series, leading of course to the oh-so-fateful end.
Source:  https://cartermatt.com/310827/emmys-2018-actor-in-a-limited-series-picks-poll/

via dcriss-archive

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yt1g4dew1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yt1g4dew1wpi2k2o2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9yt1g4dew1wpi2k2o3_1280
dcriss-archive:
[HQ] Darren Criss, Jonathan Groff, Angela Bassett, Maggie Gyllenhaal, David Harbour and Mandy Moore for the L.A. Times Emmy Drama Roundtable | X X X

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_p9xno5Cfz01wcyxsbo1_1280
The Assassination of Gianni Versace FYC ad in the May 23, 2018 issue of The Hollywood Reporter

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From Darren Criss Army:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa6l55BeAu1ubd9qxo1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa6l55BeAu1ubd9qxo2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa6l55BeAu1ubd9qxo3_1280
Today (June 11) is the beginning of balloting for the Emmys! The nominations run through June 25, and the nominees are announced on July 12. Can’t wait to see all the nominations for #ACSVersace!!

From dcriss-archive:

Emmys.com wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace Emmy nominating ballot submissions

6/11/18

Outstanding Limited Series

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie
Darren Criss

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie

Jon Jon Briones
Cody Fern
Ricky Martin
Edgar Ramirez 
Finn Wittrock

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Limited Series Or Movie
Joanna Adler
Penelope Cruz
Judith Light

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program

Manhunt

Outstanding Casting For A Limited Series, Movie Or Special

Outstanding Cinematography For A Limited Series Or Movie

Simon Dennis
Creator/Destroyer

Nelson Cragg
The Man Who Would Be Vogue

Outstanding Contemporary Costumes

Outstanding Directing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Dramatic Special

Matt Bomer
Creator/Destroyer

Daniel Minahan
House By The Lake

Nelson Cragg
Manhunt

Ryan Murphy

Gwyneth Horder-Payton
A Random Killing

Outstanding Hairstyling For A Limited Series Or Movie
Technical Description
Our goal was to respect this tragic story while creating a seamless blend of each actor and their real life counterpart, maintaining period and enhancing the visual storytelling. Period haircuts and color were the foundation to all the styles. Research key to differentiate location. The transformation of the cast included a mix of lace front wigs, and custom integrated hairpieces, hand-painted and airbrush color all intended to fit each character and period.

Chris Clark, Department Head Hairstylist Natalie Driscoll, Key Hairstylist

Shay Sanford-Fong, Additional Hairstylist Helena Cepeda, Additional Hairstylist

Outstanding Makeup For A Limited Series Or Movie (Non-Prosthetic)
Technical Description
1950-1997 period-work, runway looks mimicking Versace’s actual productions, operas, and photo shoots. Contacts were worn by our actors, many tattoos covered, highlight/shadow makeups for character recreations, eyebrows adjusted, chopped handlaid beards, AIDS looks. Versace looks that changed from 1990-1997 adjusted with beard coloration and sickness makeups.

Eryn Krueger Mekash, Department Head Makeup Artist Robin Beauchesne, Department Head Makeup Artist Silvina Knight, Makeup Artist
David Williams, Makeup Artist
Ana Lozano, Makeup Artist
Tym Buacharern, Makeup Artist

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special
Technical Description
Custom bald pate for Edgar Ramirez; sculpted to resemble Versace’s headshape. Intricate under structure/painting to flatten hair. Cunanan victim scenes with prosthetics resembling reference photos. CGI used to deepen injuries only. Beard work on makeup handlaid. Contacts and dental prosthetics were worn, highlight/shadow makeup for likenesses.

Eryn Krueger Mekash, Department Head Makeup Artist
Michael Mekash, Special Makeup Effects Assistant Department Head Silvina Knight, Makeup Effects Artist
Robin Beauchesne, Makeup Effects Artist
David Leroy Anderson, Prosthetic Designer
Glen Eisner, Prosthetic Designer

Outstanding Music Supervision
Amanda Krieg Thomas
Manhunt

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Series Or Movie

Emily Greene
Alone

Shelly Westerman
House By The Lake

Chi-Yoon Chung
Manhunt

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Special
Alone

Outstanding Writing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Dramatic Special

Creator/Destroyer
House By The Lake

Source:  http://www.emmys.com/ballots/2018

via acsversace-news

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa68f5Z3mx1wpi2k2o1_540

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa68f5Z3mx1wpi2k2o2_500
Link

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3i6m1ankc&feature=youtu.be

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

from dcriss-archive:

"I baked those buns myself."  :laughing  (Is this phrase gonna be a long-term joke like "let's vote together"? :amused )
Via Scott Evans’ Instagram Story (June 12th, 2018)

via dcriss-archive

Aw, it's so nice that so many fans were able to re-live Glee and critical moments in their lives when they were first watching Glee. 

Darren Criss Talks Touring With Lea Michele & His Love For Performing At Piano Bars | Access

Interesting discussion.  As noted, these two podcast persons rank Darren as # 4 (with Sarah Paulson being # 1, followed by Jessica Lange and then Angela Bassett).   These two podcasters were really impressed with Darren.  :happy face
  latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Uploads_2F1528761805701-nem0zlo668-21f1c8c36039b94400b47caf9af6435b_2Ftv-party-3.png?ixlib=rails-2.1
Track: Rank and File: Ryan Murphy’s Most Valuable Players
Artist: TV Party
acsversace-news:
Rank and File: Ryan Murphy’s Most Valuable Players

Over dozens of seasons of television, from Nip/Tuck to Glee to American Stories both Horror and Crime, super-producer Ryan Murphy has created his own cottage industry of ambitious, theatrical, cards-on-the-table melodramas featuring some of the best actors and actresses in TV.

This week, Allison and Clint go it alone to count down 15 of Murphy’s greatest collaborators, from established character actresses to lantern-jawed hunks, to Oscar winners of all persuasions. | 12 June 2018
Darren Criss at # 4

via dcriss-archive

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa89ikoLK61wpi2k2o1_1280

Link

Pretty cool he can sing "Gloria" in Italian.  So nice of Darren to dedicate to Gianni Versace.
DarrenCriss: Sang this last night for Gianni Versace. Umberto Tozzi’s version would’ve been a hit in Italy when Gianni opened his 1st shop. I’d like to think this song reminded him of early days of success, the days he’d enjoy before blossoming into an international superstar. Per te, Gianni!

via dcriss-archive

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa7wng9rKL1wcyxsbo1_1280
acsversace-news:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace FYC ad in the June 2018 issue of Emmy Magazine | 12 June 2018

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-
From dcriss-archive:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_paamj0A8ri1wcyxsbo1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_paamj0A8ri1wcyxsbo2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_paamj0A8ri1wcyxsbo3_1280
acsversace-news:
guerin_ad: SNEAK PEEK! On press with the next issue of @thewrap Emmy Magazine. Featuring Judith Light, Darren Criss and Edgar Ramirez on the cover and the gorgeous photography of @ecarenphoto.
#emmys2018 #theassassinationofgiannaversace #presscheck

Variety Actors on Actors.    I love how he fan-boys over Mandy.  He comes across as so human, just a regular guy, when he shows he's just a fan like you and me.  :happy face
variety: @darrencriss revealed his obsession with @mandymooremm’s early music career on #ActorsonActors presented by @shutterstocknow. To watch the full video, click the link in bio. [camera emoji] @yopeteryang for Variety

via dcriss-archive

acsversace-news:
Mandy Moore and Darren Criss on Challenges of Stepping Into Leading Roles | 13 June 2018
via dcriss-archive

I'm looking forward to watching on KOCE.  :happy face
Variety wrote:
Watch Darren Criss Fan Out Over Mandy Moore’s Music

June 13, 2018

Before anything really cracking into the discussion on Variety’s “Actors on Actors,” Darren Criss had to first reveal his early days obsession with Mandy Moore’s early singing career.

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” actor praised “1999’s seminal ‘So Real’ album.” Mandy Moore’s debut album. “Not sure if you’re familiar with it,” he joked.

The “This Is Us” actress immediately responded: “I would love to give everyone their money back that bought this record!”

Despite Moore’s delightful protests Criss leaned revealing he was a true Monday stan from way back in the day, and proclaimed that his favorite track off the record was actually was only 15 seconds. “It’s the telephone interlude where you get to hear, I don’t know, maybe a 15 or 16-year-old Mandy Moore!”

Without missing a beat Criss recites the album’s special recording from a young Moore and an unknown friend.

“‘Hi guys. It’s Mandy. You know what to do after the beep.’ And then this mysterious character leaves a message who I kind of wanted, as a lover of narrative, to hear more about–this chick Bonnie. But it goes: ‘Beep. Hey Mandy, it’s Bonnie. I heard what happened. Call me back.’ Click. And then I think the ‘Walk Me Home’ song starts.”

Turning pink laughing, Moore said: “I haven’t thought about this in probably 15 years.”

The “Versace” star explained how he would see the “This Is Us” matriarch on MTV, and thought “hearing her talk, hearing her voice as a human being was so sexy and interesting,” he said. “I was like: ‘Whoa, she’s just a kid. I’m a kid. Cool.‘”

Criss also disclosed how he first heard the song on a mini disc player while on a roadtrip, rewinding and “being like: ‘It’s only 15 seconds? What happens? What happens here?”

Moore cooly avoided spilling the beans: “What was she referring to? We’ll never know.”

The Emmy Award-winning “Actors on Actors” series will air in two episodes on PBS SoCal KOCE, the first on Tuesday, June 19 at 7 p.m. and the second on Thursday, June 21 at 7 p.m. Both episodes will stream on pbssocal.org following their premieres.
Source:  https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/darren-criss-mandy-moore-actors-on-actors-1202843646/

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa9xjdOwrz1wpi2k2o1_1280
variety: ThisIsUs star @mandymooremm and #ACSVersace actor @darrencriss discussed the challenges of stepping into leading roles on #ActorsonActors presented by @shutterstocknow. Click the link in bio to read more.  [camera emoji] @yopeteryang for Variety

Such a fun and lively discussion between these two introspective, intelligent, articulate, down-to-earth, humble, respectful folks.  I do think that the Glee audience is dramatically different from the This is Us audience.  It also sounds like the dynamics of the cast on the two shows is very different .  I have been a huge fan of This Is Us, since its pilot (I know Lilikoiluv also loves the show)--its writing is fantastic and the acting is impressive.  I'm always amazed at how often the show manages to hit me in the heart hard.  Such a special show.  And it's so nice to see what a wonderful human being is Mandy Moore.  heart
Watch Darren Criss Fan Out Over Mandy Moore’s Musical Past (June 13th, 2018)

via dcriss-archive

Variety wrote:
Mandy Moore and Darren Criss on Challenges of Stepping Into Leading Roles

June 13, 2018

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Mandy-moore-darren-criss-variety-actors-on-actors-portrait-16x9

Neither Mandy Moore nor Darren Criss are new to the television scene, but both found breakout success with their current roles, which showed off their range as performers. As the family matriarch in “This Is Us,” Moore seamlessly embodies a character across four decades, while Criss deftly plumbed the depths of a serial killer in “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story.” After bonding over a favorite track from Moore’s musical days, the two actors settled down to talk about working with visionary producers, chasing their dream roles, and coping with the responsibility of stepping into a leading role.

Mandy Moore: How did you get involved with “The Assassination of Gianni Versace”? Did you know immediately you wanted to audition for Andrew?

Darren Criss
: The short version is I worked with Ryan Murphy on “Glee” for a bit. Although never directly, in the sense that, because I joined the second season. So I didn’t have that sort of “We’re building this thing together” relationship, but I was always sort of envious. I remember visiting the set of “Scream Queens” in New Orleans, and I had my 15 minutes with Ryan. I was like, “Hey man, heard you’re doing ‘American Horror Story’ with Lady Gaga. Let me know if you need like a wily bellhop on that show!”

Moore
: So you just pitched yourself!

Criss: Relentlessly, without any shame. And he was like, “No, but I’m doing this crime story. I want to make it an anthology and I really want to explore this story about Andrew Cunanan and Gianni Versace. How much do you know about Andrew Cunanan?” The only reason I remembered it was because he was half Filipino and being a half-Filipino kid, it’s a thing that I would remember ’cause of we have similar ethnic background. He said he wanted to have it be a manhunt character piece, and so, as an actor, you’re like, “Sure.” The word character piece is great, not for the ego of being all about you.

Moore
: Right, just for the juicy challenge of it.

Criss: Yeah, and also just having the breadth of space to dive into something. Which you aren’t always granted the luxury of doing.

Moore
: And also to be seen by somebody who knew you distinctly in one light, not only to know you from “Glee,” but to know what you’re capable of. Because Andrew Cunanan couldn’t be further from what you were doing on “Glee.”

Criss
: I’d like to think that he saw in me as an actor a capacity or ability. For better or for worse, who knows if I pulled it off.

Moore: You pulled it off, sir. You gave me nightmares.

Criss
: Working with visionary people like that — these are people that I’m generally attracted to in life. There are strategic people who are smart and can put things together, but then there are imaginative people that can take what’s not there and see past what’s right here. And that takes a very special type of person to give people like us opportunities that we would otherwise not have the access to. So I am forever indebted to him for seeing past whatever was in front of him, being like “Here’s what I think can happen.” Which I think is kind of what happened for you, because you were also hitting the pavement, trying to do the actress thing.

Moore: Absolutely. As an actor, you never think the next job is right around the corner. You’re terrified of what’s next. Is there a next? Before “This Is Us” came around, I was at this juncture of my life where personally there was a lot of turmoil and it happened to coincide with things really kind of slowing down on the professional side. I just felt like the machine had ground to a halt, for better or worse, and I couldn’t figure out how to start it back up again. No matter what direction I took, whether it was a half hour comedy pilot or an hour drama, nothing just never seemed to find its footing.

Criss
: Didn’t you have a pilot at one point?

Moore: Yeah. Never happened. It was a great idea, too. It never came to fruition. I remember I had done three pilots in a row and then the fourth pilot season, I remember that I had gone out for something that I didn’t even love, but I was like, you know what, work begets work. I want to get out there, I want to do something, even though this isn’t something I believe in, it’s a job. And I remember that I didn’t even get that. I was so devastated that even the thing that I wasn’t passionate about, I didn’t even want, and they didn’t want me.

Criss
: Oh gosh!

Moore: So I had just switched agencies, and at my meeting with my new agent we laid the ground rules. We’ve been pounding the pavement for traditional pilot season for the last couple of years to no results, so why don’t we just put that to the side? Let’s table that idea and try and find strategic ways of looking for cool supporting roles on cable or other media platforms. And about two weeks after that meeting, I got his script for the untitled Dan Fogelman project.

Criss
: Were you a fan? Were you familiar with his work?

Moore: Yes, I’m a huge fan of Dan’s. I loved “Crazy, Stupid, Love” and John [Requa] and Glenn [Ficara], who directed that, were also attached to direct the pilot. I had also worked with Dan on “Tangled” so knew each other, sort of more peripherally. We weren’t in the same room a ton. With animated films, there were 20 people at my recording sessions and he was one of them, but we didn’t have a ton of interaction. I think a lot of people are like, “Oh, you worked together on this project so obviously he just offered the role to you,” and it couldn’t have been further from the truth. So I read the script and immediately called all my folks and was like, “What do I have to do to be a part of this?”

Criss
: So you really chased it.

Moore: I chased it hard, and it was at a really tough moment in my life professionally. I remember I went in early and I felt OK about the audition and the feedback was like, “They really liked you, but you were one of the very first people that they read. So now they’re going to go to New York and read a ton of other girls and we’ll get back to you.” So I waited about five weeks, I think, and I had sort of forgotten about it, as you do. You move on. And I got the call that they’re going to bring in a handful of actresses and a handful of actors to do chemistry reads together. And one of the guys was Milo [Ventimiglia], and I remember hearing, “Milo’s the guy to beat.” We didn’t know each other, so it was we had to jump right into being husband and wife and this couple that really anchors this entire show. I loved him immediately. I felt comfortable with him immediately. And that was it.

Criss
: You are a narrative and literal anchor of the show. Did you know that was going to be the case?

Moore: I had no idea the breadth of the character. I did know how the story was going to be told, ultimately. Dan, he’s the greatest boss ever. I feel so lucky. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He is the most wonderful guy, because he’s the most unassuming, too. He gets really excited about things and he was super excited while we were shooting the pilot about starting to regale Milo and I with ideas of where the show is going to go in all these different directions. And I was like, “No, no, don’t tell me because what if this doesn’t happen and then I’m going to be so upset.” When I got the role, he was like, “Don’t worry. I know it doesn’t seem like it’s a lot on the page for this first episode, but she is the mother and she is the matriarch of this family and it’s going to get good.”

Criss
: It’s nice that he told you that.

Moore: Totally, but I would have done it regardless. I was like, “This is such exquisite writing,” and when we did the first read through with the cast, I was like, everybody is so exceptional. I would have been a part of it, just had I been a tiny fraction of the show.

Criss
: Is this the first time you’ve been a leading character on a series? Obviously in films, you’ve done all that.

Moore
: This is the first time I’ve ever really done a series. … It’s a machine, but I love it and as you well know, when people embrace the work that you’re doing and embrace these characters, you recognize and are humbled by the idea that you are in people’s homes. It’s so different from the experience of being in a film where people go somewhere else to watch you on the big screen.

Criss
: And then they leave, whereas you have a weekly presence.

Moore: You have a weekly presence in someone’s home and you’re in their hearts and their minds and people will stop us on the street and they want to be vulnerable. They want to get into the nitty-gritty of how they relate to these characters in the stories. It does feel like a huge debt of responsibility that I never really thought about until I was in this position, but it’s beautiful. I love that I get the chance to traverse all of this territory of playing this woman from 22 to 68.

Criss
: You look good at 68. She really does. You’re in for a treat.

Moore
: I mean, I don’t know if I’m going to age that well, but I’m trying to borrow all her secrets!

Criss
: Did you feel a responsibility as sort of the quarterback, as a leading character? I don’t want to get into the bureaucracy of call sheets, I know that stings some people.

Moore: Not to me, but yeah.

Criss
: But you know, for some people there’s a real sort of pecking order.

Moore
: There’s no pecking order for us. We definitely feel like Mom and Dad. Milo is No. 1 on the call sheet, and it very much feels like he’s Dad. He knows everything that’s going on on set. And to that sense, to that degree, I feel like Mom. I’ve never played a wife before. I’m not a mother, so to suddenly have this insta-family, having three children in all these different iterations; from babies to toddlers to teenagers and 10-year-olds and adults, I have to have an individual relationship with all of these different kids and the adults, and I felt daunted by that. And most by the prospect of playing a 65-, 66-year-old woman. I have no point of reference. I have no point of reference in playing a mother, in general, but an older grandmother who is a widow, who also lost a child early on in her life and now is remarried to her husband’s best friend. It is four different characters in one, which is such a treat and a delight.

Criss: Hits all the buttons, man. I want to be in that family! I also know what happens, so I know when to leave the house or to turn the cooker off.

Moore
: Don’t leave the slow-cooker on! [Laughs.] What I want to know from you though, is this tremendous role, which you are so brilliant in, and terrifying and manipulative and conniving in, how did you find playing the lead character? How did you get in the mind-frame of taking on a leading character and all this responsibility that you had, and did you know how it was going to unfold?

Criss: It was cool that it wasn’t all about Andrew because when it is about Andrew, it’s just his narrative. I liked that it was juxtaposed against another brilliant mind with a different set of buttons. I liked that juxtaposition of the two of them, so if it was just a me-me-me thing, it would have been a little more scary. Edgar Ramirez and I became very close throughout this whole process because it was this sort of parallel character study, the Great Destroyer and the Great Creator. We’re juxtaposing them against each other and even though most of our stuff was shot without each other, there was so much that crossed over thematically. So I did feel like I had someone to lean on personally in the storytelling. Even though we weren’t shooting actual things together except for little bits.

Moore
: That’s so interesting.

Criss: I really liked the fact that the character piece is almost a two-hander. But that’s on a grand scale because each episode is sort of its own little play. It was almost like shooting a new act, every time. Similar to you, even though I had done a series for many years, “Glee” itself was an anomaly. Imagine all of those bootcampy things, between recording and going to dance rehearsal and all that stuff. So doing that for eight different numbers a week for 22 episodes every season for like six-some odd years, that’s its own little animal. I kind of liked it because I’m a masochist like that way. I enjoy people being like, “This is going to be hard.” I’m like, “Bring it!”

Moore
: You didn’t strike me as the type to play a serial killer.

Criss: I really did enjoy it, truthfully. This was the first time I’d ever been a part of something where Ryan Murphy had really directed me. This was the first time we were making the dough and creating the thing and getting in the trenches and asking the questions and finding or searching for the answers. So that was really cool because it was the first time I was in a position to set a tone on set. It was a dark show, and I’m a pretty goofy person. But how did I get in the mind-set? When people say stuff like, “Oh my God, it’s so terrifying, it’s so creepy,” as you know on set, these moments that you’re playing whatever extreme they are, whether they be the extreme of anger or sadness or love or woe or any sort of, dial at 11 of any given emotion. They are quieter, simpler moments on set, but when you add the cocktail of the extra close-up and the music and the pacing, it sort of changes everything. I remember the things that have been truly terrifying in the show, I go, “Wow. I think that’s way more scary than I remember.” I think the things that really scared me, or the things that were really severe were those much quieter moments in between.

Moore: The ones that made you real uncomfortable.

Criss
: Those were the things that got me. I’m not in control of that curation, and they did a marvelous job to really make an intense, exciting, thrilling show. But the moments I latched onto with Andrew were much quieter, whether they were scary or really happy. The thing for me with Andrew was latching on to the best parts of him because there were really a lot of lovely, promising things about him which, to me, is the tragedy that this wonderful guy that had so many gifts…

Moore
: Happened down such a dark path.

Criss
: That’s the tragedy. It’s not the actual tragedy that we’re looking at, it’s the fall from grace that to me, just broke my heart.

Source:  https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/mandy-moore-darren-criss-actors-on-actors-this-is-us-assassination-of-gianni-versace-1202833547/

Is that Mike Farrell?
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pa9mu1VJuV1wpi2k2o1_640

Darren is so quirky.  "Blaine isn't a real person."  What?! 

acsversace-news:
We talk true crime with Darren Criss | 13 June 2018
via dcriss-archive

Telstra Exchange wrote:
We talk true crime with Darren Criss

June 13, 2018

Is there something that you learned about Andrew during your research that stood out to you as interesting or unexpected?

Andrew and I had an eerily big amount in common. Both grew up Catholic, both grew up half Filipino. You know I had a very different home life and the details are very different but we both gravitate towards not only big ideas people but big ideas in general – we have a penchant for embellishment. I always assume I have more in common with somebody than not. I just didn’t know it was going to be that much in common.

[. . . ]

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story is streaming now on Foxtel Now. Get a 24 month Foxtel Now subscription with your Telstra Mobile plan.
Source:  https://exchange.telstra.com.au/we-talk-true-crime-with-darren-criss/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

Dramatic pic.  I love how they all are wearing dark blue and the shadowy background. 
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pac1nwN4JV1wpi2k2o2_r1_1280
thewrap: Take a sneak peek at our Miniseries/Movies Emmy issue, coming out tomorrow! This issue is #AllTheRage, as it features Judith Light, Édgar Ramírez and Darren Criss of ‘American Crime Story: Versace,’ as well as many other sensational men and women of television and film. Stay tuned for plenty more to come!! #Emmys #ACSVersace [camera emoji] @ecarenphoto, Creative Director @guerin_ad

Emmy "Voting closes June 25, with the nominations to be announced July 12."   I can't wait!   I have to say I've always had a problem with views that awards should be given to an actor to reward that actor for other projects during their significant career, especially when earlier awards were not granted to that actor.   Shouldn't this year's award be based on this year's performance in this year's project--not for all the other projects that were worthy during an actor's career for which that actor failed to receive an award?  Just my two cents. 
Paste Magazine wrote:
Emmys 2018: Paste's (Unofficial) Nominations Ballot

June 14, 2018

As any TV critic who moonlights as an Emmy observer will tell you, the Television Academy’s choices can be… frustrating. The tendency to nominate the same series and performances year in, year out; the reluctance to acknowledge certain challenging titles; the labyrinthine rules: The Emmys are often easy to predict, yet difficult to understand.

With that in mind, my annual mock Emmy nominations ballot is a plea for voters’ consideration, a paean to the medium’s finest and an attempt to highlight those still flying under the radar as voting gets underway. It’s full of tough decisions and merciless cuts—including a few that may have you scratching your head. It’s not predictive, but aspirational. And it’s written in the hope that it might get even a single voter to give a deserving series or performer another look.

Voting closes June 25, with the nominations to be announced July 12. Let’s get started!

[. . . ]

Outstanding Limited Series

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 ACSVersace-Ep309_Main

Alias Grace (Netflix) The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX) Howards End (Starz) The Looming Tower (Hulu) Twin Peaks: The Return (Showtime)

It’s been a strong year for limited series. As I’ve written for the site more than once, The Assassination of Gianni Versace is a remarkably radical treatment of queer themes, unspooling in reverse chronological order across multiple genres and painted in Miami pastels. Alias Grace is equally ambitious, in terms of both structure (toggling between two timelines) and perspective (that of an accused murderer); Twin Peaks, meanwhile, is so wildly imagistic, and yet so primal, that the eminences at Sight & Sound and Cahiers du Cinéma decided its excellence made it a film. (It’s a TV series. Always has been.) Even the category’s less groundbreaking entries, Howards End and The Looming Tower, are formidable iterations of familiar stories—an embarrassment of riches, indeed.

[. . . ]

Outstanding Lead Actor (Limited Series/TV Movie)

Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)
Jared Harris, The Terror (AMC) Michael B. Jordan, Fahrenheit 451 (HBO) Matthew Macfadyen, Howards End (Starz) Kyle MacLachlan, Twin Peaks: The Return (Showtime) Jimmy Tatro, American Vandal (Netflix)

So, here is where I come across a familiar Emmy dilemma. Criss does career-making work in The Assassination of Gianni Versace, transforming spree killer Andrew Cunanan into a gruesomely magnetic villain/protagonist, and in any other year I’d say you were out of your gourd not to give him the trophy. But MacLachlan does career-defining work as Twin Peaks’ Dale Cooper, earning Emmy nominations for the series’ first two seasons in 1990-1991, to which he adds both Coop’s doppelganger and Dougie Jones in last year’s revival. Criss will have more bites at the apple. I say give MacLachlan the award he’s deserved for almost three decades.

Source:  https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/emmys-2018-pastes-unofficial-nominations-ballot.html

Cute pic.  :happy face
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pabrw5DcQz1wpi2k2o1_1280
darrencriss: Me and @penelopecruzoficial just singing along to some George Michael…

Backstage wrote:
6 of the Year’s TV Drama Casts Worthy of Emmy Attention

June 14, 2018

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX)

Both a character study of killer Andrew Cunanan and a time capsule of 1990s queer culture, the second season of Ryan Murphy’s “American Crime Story” also trumpets the true arrival of Darren Criss. While it’s never been a secret that the “Glee” and “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” star is a certified song-and-dance man, here he plumbed the depths of a sociopath’s psyche, turning his naturally cheery demeanor dark, desperate, and introspective. The power of Criss’ about-face is enough to put him on any awards shortlist, but it helps that he’s surrounded by an ensemble that meets him mark for mark: Ricky Martin, Judith Light, and Édgar Ramírez and Penélope Cruz as the Versaces. —Benjamin Lindsay

Source:  https://www.backstage.com/news/awards-season/6-years-tv-drama-casts-worthy-emmy-attention/

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pab3a9cSKK1wpi2k2o1_1280
alcoronel: Amazing year this has been and I’m extremely grateful for this experience in particular! #FYC #americancrimestoryversace 
#DarrenCriss #FinnWhitrock #AlCoronel @alcoronel

From acsversace-news:

I thought this was interesting.  Sounds nice to be part of the Ryan Murphy family.
Shoot wrote:
Daniel Minahan Reflects On "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story"

June 14, 2018

As for the biggest takeaway or lesson learned from his experience on The Assassination of Gianni Versace, Minahan observed, “I’ve been working closely, shoulder to shoulder with the crew, executives, creatives and showrunners on the last five shows I’ve done. The major takeaway for me moving forward is I want to create a family like the family that Ryan has created at Ryan Murphy Productions. When you reach a certain level, there’s the expectation that everyone brings their most excellent work to the show. But beyond this, Ryan’s company has a respect and familial quality for its people. You feel safe, protected. There’s loyalty. You have the feeling you are doing something important. It’s still a series. It’s still entertainment but there’s a greater sense of purpose and significance to the stories you tell.”
Source:  https://www.shootonline.com/news/daniel-minahan-reflects-assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pabfpijL9K1wcyxsbo1_640
The Assassination of Gianni Versace FYC billboard ad | 14 June 2018

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dcriss-archive:

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_paebclFe9J1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Natalia Desrosiers’ Instagram Story (June 15th, 2018)

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Via Natalia Desrosiers’ Instagram Story (June 15th, 2018)

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_paeaqn9qWp1wpi2k2o1_1280
Via Edgar Ramirez’s Instagram Story (June 15th, 2018)

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pae916tlhx1wpi2k2o1_1280
edgarramirez25: This Love is real

The Wrap wrote:
How the Cast of ‘Assassination of Gianni Versace’ Followed a Killer’s Spiral Into Madness

June 15, 2018

“He was the sun in an entire universe. When he disappeared, a void was created and everything collapsed,” Édgar Ramírez said of the celebrated fashion designer. Ramírez plays the loud visionary in FX’s limited series “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” a meditation on homophobia and shame, and producer Ryan Murphy’s second installment in a franchise kicked off by the Emmy-winning “The People v. O.J. Simpson.”

Based on Maureen Orth’s true-crime tale “Vulgar Favors,” the series seemed like typical Murphy fare at first glance: an Oscar winner in a campy role (Penélope Cruz as Donatella Versace), the flashy backdrop of high fashion and plenty of male flesh parading on screen as the series looked at the tense politics of sexuality in America.

But by the end of its nine episodes, viewers got an unexpected education in killer Andrew Cunanan and the factors that led him to slay five people while evading a three-month manhunt. Instead of runway shows and Naomi Campbell cameos, writer Tom Rob Smith (BBC’s “London Spy”) introduced us to the unfortunate men drawn to Cunanan. And he did so in reverse, opening with his most famous victim and backing us through the previous crimes.

We meet sugar daddies, repressed soldiers, closeted gay men shut out by immediate family — all of them entwined with a pathological liar who morphed into a new version of Andrew (or any of his numerous aliases) by the minute.

“Maureen does an excellent job talking about this in her book, how everything that happened was a perfect storm of so many unfortunate things,” said Darren Criss, who plays Cunanan.

Andrew was a popular and bright young Filipino-American, known for his habitual lies as early as high school in La Jolla on the California coast — where he grew up in a family that had been abandoned by a father escaping embezzlement charges. A failed history major at the University of California at San Diego, he migrated to San Francisco, where the series sees him lying about gigs building sets for James Cameron’s “Titanic” in Mexico or crafting for the local opera house.

In reality, he was an escort and companion to wealthy older men. He also occasionally sold drugs (and would eventually become his own best customer) and desperately sought a romantic, non-transactional love with partners closer to his own age and desired status.

“His socioeconomic background, his psychosis, his family, all of it [conspired] against him,” Criss said. “He was charming, good-looking, erudite enough to have full access to the other part of that culture — wealth, glamour — but he still had his foot in where he was from.”

[ . . . ]

“If one of the things ‘People v. O.J.’ focused on was race and national identity, similarly this is focusing on homophobia and what that means for gay identity,” Criss said. . .

[ . . . ]

In the series’ depiction of the two months in which Cunanan hid from the authorities, shooting heroin and consorting with junkies and a community of gay Miami men ravaged by AIDS, there is no music. It’s a damp and dirty spiral into madness, and Criss nails the transformation.

[. . .]

Of course, stories that explore the motives of killers can raise concerns that the filmmakers are taking the side of bad people. “When we’re trying to humanize somebody, it doesn’t mean we’re letting them off the hook,” Criss said. “Not only as an actor, but as a storyteller, it’s the stuff you wake up in the morning for.”
Source:  https://www.thewrap.com/assassination-gianni-versace-followed-killer-madness/

Interesting article.  I also like that they included Cody Fern (and wish they also included Jon Jon Briones).
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o2_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o3_1280
latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o4_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o5_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o6_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o7_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o8_1280

‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’ Stars Darren Criss, Édgar Ramírez and Judith Light on the June 15, 2018 issue of The Wrap | Sourcelatergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padhqa1kHM1wpi2k2o9_1280
‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’ Stars Darren Criss, Édgar Ramírez and Judith Light on the June 15, 2018 issue of The Wrap | Source

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padi3qzUAq1wpi2k2o1_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padi3qzUAq1wpi2k2o2_1280

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padi3qzUAq1wpi2k2o3_640

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_padi3qzUAq1wpi2k2o4_640
‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’ Stars Darren Criss, Édgar Ramírez and Judith Light Portraits (Photos)

TV Line wrote:
Emmys 2018: Outstanding Limited Series — Our 5 Dream Nominees!

June 15, 2018

Last year, Emmy’s Outstanding Limited Series contest was about as suspenseful as any kudos race featuring Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Basically, HBO’s soapy phenom Big Little Lies had the win in the bag. But this year? The statue is completely up for grabs.

Our Dream Emmy lineup, meanwhile, boasts a mix of high-profile minis and a few under-the-radar gems. All five contenders have one thing in common: They polarized audiences — Team TVLine included.

For the record, 2018 Emmy nominations will be voted on from June 11-25, and unveiled on July 12. The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Colin Jost and Michael Che, is scheduled to air Monday, Sept. 17, on NBC.

[ . . . ]

THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE: AMERICAN CRIME STORY

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Dream-emmys-2018-american-crime-story-versace

WHY IT DESERVES A NOD:
Anchored by Darren Criss in a star-making turn as serial killer Andrew Cunanan, the nine-part second installment in FX’s American Crime Story franchise spun a captivating tale of desperation and despair against stunning, sumptuous backdrops — making it as difficult to watch as it was impossible to look away from. Throw in unforgettable performances from the likes of Judith Light, Penelope Cruz and Max Greenfield, and you’ve got yourself a miniseries to die for.
Source:  https://tvline.com/gallery/emmys-2018-limited-series-dream-nominees/#!3/dream-emmys-2018-american-crime-story-versace/

latergram - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 26 Tumblr_pad3y7RlZx1wpi2k2o1_1280
makeuphag: American Crime Story;The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Please consider for Outstanding makeup Non- Prosrhric and Prosthetic in a Limited Series. Thank you!
*TW for the other photos on the instagram post

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Judith looks younger in this photo shoot (in comparison with the TV show).

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe ACS Versace tried to make her look older, because of the trauma her character went through?  (Plus her clothing, her hair and probably her makeup lends to such a glamorous look in these photoshoots.  :happy face )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum