Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 35]

641The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Empty Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Nominations Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Congrats to Ryan Murphy, Darren and Penelope, and the cast and crew of ACS Versace, for Screen Actors Guild Award nominations!!  It's amazing how many nominations Darren (and the show itself and the cast) is/are collecting! heart :very happy clapping hands

(Sorry I haven't been posting as much--still under the weather and also trying to resolve a stressful issue.)

From Darren Criss Army:

this was cute.  :happy face

darrencriss Getting to join the Screen Actors Guild was such a huge turning point in my career. Shoutout to EASTWICK for giving me my first union job and official SAG card! I’ll never forget how exciting that was. Thank you to my fellow @sagaftra performers for this nomination!

via Darren Criss Army

From acsversace-news:

d-criss-news:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjmq2oXkSN1v3daoq_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjmq2mjNee1v3daoq_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjmpy1WdyT1wcyxsbo1_1280
@SAGawards: And your nominees for Female Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series are: #AmyAdams, @PattyArquette, #PatriciaClarkson, #PenelopeCruz, and #EmmaStone! Congratulations to all the nominees on their outstanding performances! #sagawards

d-criss-news:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjmvw3CpPS1v3daoq_500

d-criss-news:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjmybguFBr1v3daoq_500

A few articles (via acsversace-news):

Buzzfeed wrote:
25 TV Performances From 2018 That We Can't Stop Talking About

12. Darren Criss’s Emmy Award-winning turn as Andrew Cunanan in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Goodbye Blaine Anderson, because now every time we think of Darren Criss, we’re reminded of his chilling performance as Andrew Cunanan in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. His Emmy win was totally worth it this year as he portrayed a complicated antagonist that stole every single scene.
Source:  https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/best-tv-performances-of-2018

The Verge wrote:
The 20 best TV series of 2018

THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE: AMERICAN CRIME STORY

American Crime Story’s second-season miniseries, The Assassination of Gianni Versace, never came close to turning into the zeitgeist-grabbing sensation that its first season, The People v. O. J. Simpson, became. But in many ways, it’s even more daring. Loosely told in reverse chronological order — the average episode takes place months or even years before the one preceding it — the series is a deep dive into the pasts of two gay men, a murderer and his most famous victim, shaped by a culture that forced them to keep big pieces of their lives a secret. This American Crime Story miniseries isn’t exactly an uplifting way to pass the time, but the unusual structure and Darren Criss’ riveting performance as the sociopathic serial killer Andrew Cunanan make it vital.
Source:  https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/12/18137971/best-tv-series-2018-netflix-amazon-hulu-good-place-atlanta-pose-glow

Crime Reads wrote:
The 10 Best Crime Shows of 2018

10. American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace (FX)

Sadly, few paid attention to Ryan Murphy’s second true crime exercise in restraint after the glowing reception that greeted American Crime Story’s first season, and perhaps that’s because Murphy is just so damn prolific, with not one, but two prestige television series in the same year. This moody, menacing drama is absolutely worth watching, we must insist; The Assassination of Gianni Versace transcends its sensationalist (and homophobic) true crime origin material to immerse the viewer in a nuanced view of the pressures and iniquities of 90s era gay life. Darren Criss delivers a tour-de-force performance as serial killer Andrew Cunanan, emphasizing the Ripley-like qualities of Cunanan’s character, and Tom Rob Smith injects the series with the mystery expertise of a professional crime writer, for a series rich in both text and subtext.
Source:  https://crimereads.com/the-10-best-crime-shows-of-2018/

The New Yorker wrote:
My Not-Top-Ten Television List: The Best TV Shows of 2018

“American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace” (FX)

Disclaimer: I was on set for this show, to write about Ryan Murphy, so, naturally, I’m going to be biased. The backward chronology only semi-worked—and a lot of viewers I know dropped out after the kinky ultra-violence early on. But Darren Criss is mind-bendingly good, at once empathetic and damning, as Andrew Cunanan. And, truly, I’ve thought about this show more than almost any show this year: it taught me a lot about a time that I lived through and thought I understood.
Source:  https://www.newyorker.com/culture/2018-in-review/my-not-top-ten-television-list-2018-edition

Note:  ACS Versace is available on Netflix on 1/17/19!   Source:  https://comicbook.com/2018/12/12/netflix-january-2018-new-arrivals/

EDIT:

Added a few more congrats from friends.  These are via ipwarn--thank you, ipwarn!

d-criss-news:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjnbu4q9zx1v3daoq_500

(via blaineys-boogie-shoes)

ipwarn's tags are so funny.  :amused   She's such a funny woman.  Go to her tumblr to see her tags for this post.  http://ipwarn.tumblr.com/post/181060871375

d-criss-news:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjnbopxXJK1v3daoq_500

(Source: instagram.com, via na-page)

Info on when you can watch the SAG Awards:

-

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

To see Darren's SAG-AFTRA / Broadway World interview with Richard Ridge, go here:  https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/Backstage-with-Richard-Ridge-American-Success-Story--Darren-Criss-Opens-Up-About-His-Career-on-Broadway-TV-and-More-20181213

(Sorry, I can't copy the video.)

I thought Darren gave a fantastic interview!  I  thought his words were eloquent and full of thought.  He was humble, funny, and charming.  I liked what he said about the reasons why it was important to Ryan to do this project, The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story, with the core reason why the project was so important to Ryan is because Ryan is very interested in social issues and the issue of homophobia that is prevalent in society.  The story was hilarious too, how Darren texted an ellipsis plus a question mark, and Ryan's equally hilarious reply text, "why, did you sell a pilot or something?"  haha!  laugh until you cry   It's sweet how Darren wanted to share how each of the other Emmy nominees in Darren's category inspired Darren, and contributed to Darren's  life and Darren's education in acting.  Richard Ridge is so kind too--calling Darren's Emmy speech flawless and his Emmy win was so well-deserved.   I also loved how in response to Richard Ridge's question of the best advice that Darren lives by, Darren mentioned that's it's important to know the name of the camera person and getting to know the folks who were on the ground with you--those folks whose job it is to make your life better--how it's important to make that effort.  And it's so great that Richard Ridge knew that Darren was always like that--that Darren always made that effort to get to know everyone's names, that Darren has always done that.  And then Darren credited his parents for that.  And I think that is just so fantastic, how his parents instilled in Darren the importance of kindness and of recognizing everyone's worth, of embracing how every person matters.  One of my absolute favorite things about Darren is this.  (I remember Darren was in a photoshoot with a respected magazine, I think it was The Hollywood Reporter, with a group of prominent actors collected for a group shot.  I think the theme was recognizing how important supporting actors are to their shows.  So here was a group of respected actors, and I can imagine Darren was pretty star-struck with all these important actors gathered together and that Darren was selected to be a part of this prestigious group of actors.  But the thing that really struck me was that I saw a photo or maybe it was a video of Darren shaking the hand of the photographer for that photoshoot, and I thought, that is just so Darren, to recognize the importance of this photographer who is working hard to make this photoshoot of these respected actors go smoothly.  heart)   I wish more people were like this, because if that was true, this world would have a lot less people suffering, don't you think? 

I like the loud voice from the audience at the end of the talk, yelling "bravo!" 

Anyway, I really, really enjoyed this interview and I thought Darren did a outstanding job.  thumbs up :bravo

Via ipwarn:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjmylzj9qJ1v3daoq_500
richieridge: Congratulations @darrencriss for your @sagawards nomination. Look for my just filmed Career Conversation with Darren @sagaftrafound @officialbroadwayworld To a packed audience of actors Darren was honest, insightful, funny and charming. It was a master class.

instagram.com/p/BrS_pAChdo9/
(Source: instagram.com, via na-page)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjjtyiVNzi1sczt3wo4_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjjtyiVNzi1sczt3wo1_r2_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjjtyiVNzi1sczt3wo3_r1_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjjtyiVNzi1sczt3wo2_r1_500
na-page:
SAG-AFTRA Foundation conversations on Broadway with Darren Criss at The Robin Williams Center on December 10, 2018 in New York City.
(via imakeitrealinmymind)

Via Darren Criss Army:

Spoiler:

I also wanted to add this pic of Richard Ridge of Broadway World with Darren when Darren was doing Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway.  :happy face

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_nnyqll0ARQ1r4gxc3o1_500
richieridge: Preston and I with the dazzling @darrencriss who takes @hedwigonbway to new heights!! @bbbway #darrencriss #richieridge #hedwigonbway

May 7, 2015

DCN

-

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

643The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Empty Golden Globe Nominations Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Golden Globe Nominations

I came across this article and I thought I would share:

Inquirer.net wrote:
‘Boom Shakalaka,’ ‘Wild!’ and other Globe nominees’ reactions

December 13, 2018

Talents like Spike woke up to good news when Christian Slater, Leslie Mann, Terry Crews and Danai Gurira announced nominations to the 76th Golden Globe Awards in early morning ceremonies at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.

. . . The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), . . . votes on and presents the awards . . .

[ . . . ]

Reaction quotes from some of the nominees who earned tickets to Hollywood’s party of the year on Jan. 6, which will be telecast around the world:

[ . . .  ]

Darren Criss, actor in a limited series or TV movie (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)

Though a full day has gone by, I’m still in awe that I got my first Golden Globe nomination yesterday. Wild!

The lives of the people we follow in [the series] are very difficult stories to tell. But we poured our hearts into bringing them to life because we believe in their significance, and the value of showing the correlation between their personal struggles to ours today.

As such, I’m so humbled by HFPA’s recognition not only for myself, but also for Ryan Murphy, my cast mates and all those who worked so hard on the series. I’m very proud of what we created and feel very fortunate to be acknowledged at this level.
Source:  https://entertainment.inquirer.net/309165/boom-shakalaka-wild-and-other-globe-nominees-reactions

-

644The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Empty Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

And I just realized that Harry Shum was selected to be the SAG Awards Ambassador.  Congrats to Harry! 

I think I saw the news about Harry as SAG Awards Ambassador on ipwarn's website (but it could have been on Gleekto's website--I can't remember anymore).

Via Daily Harry Shum.  :happy face

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjl4zigY0f1xlf6nco1_500
harryshumjr: I’ve been a proud SAG member for over 14+ years and joined on a dance job while filming “You Got Served” in 2004. That wasn’t that long ago  laugh until you cry I didn’t even know what SAG (Screen Actors Guild) was at the time but I quickly found out how invaluable it was to be part of this performers community. This is a really cool honor to be this years @sagawards​ ambassador for a milestone 25th Anniversary of the show. I will do my best to provide some fun BTS leading up to the awards! #sagawards  Camera : Stephanie Gerard

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjl3uzp1c81xlf6nco1_500
(x)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjl3sc9oy41xlf6nco1_500
@SAGawards: Excited to announce @HarryShumJr as the official #sagawards ambassador for the 25th show Follow along as he takes you behind the scenes leading up to the show.     PC: Stephanie Girardo

-

645The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Empty Golden Globe Nominations Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Golden Globe Nominations

Via acsversace-news:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pjrbjdT6At1wcyxsbo1_1280

FX awards season web promo | 14 December 2018

Also, some more articles about  best TV shows of 2018.

The Guardian wrote:
The 50 best TV shows of 2018: 50-5

4 Dec 2018

14 . American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

(FX/BBC Two) One of the performances of the year: against a vividly painted backdrop of US gay culture in the 1990s, Darren Criss seared the screen with a terrifyingly immersive turn as lonely, raging killer Andrew Cunanan.
Source:  https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/03/the-50-best-tv-shows-of-2018

Paste Magazine wrote:
The 25 Best TV Performances of 2018

December 14, 2018

7. Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
Network: FX

Darren Criss took us into the ghastliest presentations of the narcissistic injury in The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Inhabiting the psyche of someone with strong emotions is a relatively simple, though sometimes demanding, task for an actor. Portraying someone who is emotionally void is a next-level endeavor. As grasping, ambitious shapeshifter Andrew Cunanan, Criss inflected his performance with an excruciatingly painful neediness edged in icy psychopathic rage. Plenty of people play serial killers and succeed at being frightening or chilling. Criss certainly managed that, but he also illuminated something deeply fundamental about the difference between someone who responds to rejection with unhinged violence and someone for whom that’s not an option. By the end of the series, Criss’s Cunanan was more than a violent disordered personality: He was a one-man referendum on forces of institutional contempt (homophobia, classism, cavalier objectification, the artifacts of “American Dream” ideation that had made a monster of his prideful, social-climbing immigrant father, played by Jon Jon Briones). It’s a tremendously creepy and incredibly affecting performance. You want to save this person, though you understand no one can; you want to despise him, but you cannot. Amy Glynn (Photo: FX)
Source:  https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/12/the-25-best-tv-performances-of-2018.html

GQ wrote:
The GQ Staff's Favorite TV Shows of 2018

December 14, 2018

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

The masterstroke of American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace is in its decision to barely spend any time on the titular event. Instead, it works backwards, beginning with Andrew Cunanan’s murder of the fashion impresario, backing up through his lesser-known string of victims until we arrive at his formative years. In doing so, Versace becomes a tragedy not just about the death of an icon, but about an American failure of empathy and understanding, one that manifested in ways that seem painfully clear in hindsight. In tracing the crimes of one manipulative young man, Versace charts a course through American culture’s quiet hostility towards its gay communities, a hostility that didn’t just fuel the self-loathing of a man who would kill other gay men, but also the cultural indifference that gave Americans little reason to care in the first place.Joshua Rivera, GQ contributor
Source:  https://www.gq.com/story/the-gq-staffs-favorite-tv-shows-of-2018?verso=true

Variety wrote:
The Top 20 TV Episodes of 2018

December 13, 2018

House by the Lake” (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” FX)

This season of “American Crime Story” was, by design, hard to watch. At times cold and unrelenting, FX’s probing examination of Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramirez), serial killer Andrew Cunanan (a showstopping Darren Criss), and the catastrophic consequences of homophobia was one of the most unsettling series of the year. Its best moments, however, were equally humanizing and horrifying. In this respect, “House by the Lake,” in which Cunanan kidnaps and kills shy David Madson (a wonderful Cody Fern), is the clear standout. C.F.
Source:  https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/best-tv-episodes-2018-1203051440/

What Culture wrote:
20 Best TV Episodes of 2018

17. The Man Who Would Be Vogue - The Assassination Of Gianni Versace

It would’ve been very difficult for The Assassination of Gianni Versace to live up to the heights of the first run of American Crime Story, the engrossing The People v O.J. Simpson. But to its credit, it doesn’t even try to compete.

It doesn’t go for the same level of intricate detail, but instead goes for a glitzier approach mixed with a look at the serious issues plaguing America at the time, which is best demonstrated in its opening, shocking episode.

Directed with real pizzaz by Ryan Murphy, The Man Who Would Be Vogue is an energetic, beautifully shot episode that nicely shifts its focus between the titular character and the real focus of the season, serial killer Andrew Cunanan.

It’s an episode that sets up the bigger themes of the season, most specifically the lens it puts not just on Cunanan but his sexuality and homophobia in America during the era. It’s one that will hook you into coming back for more, especially with its stunner of a climax, but could even be watched as a standalone TV movie.

Source:  http://whatculture.com/tv/20-best-tv-episodes-of-2018?page=5

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

AV Club wrote:
The best TV performances of 2018

December 16, 2018

Darren Criss, The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

With less of an ensemble focus than its acclaimed predecessor and a narrative that criss-crossed the United States (with a brief stop off in the Philippines), The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story needed a center of gravity. It had one in the fashion designer of its title; it found one in the actor who played Versace’s murderer. Former Glee star Darren Criss graduated to the Ryan Murphy big leagues with his calculating, chameleonic turn as Andrew Cunanan, a tragic figure forged from the pressures of internal and external homophobia, who pretended to have all that was promised to him by a doting, con-man father—then made like dad and took everything else. It’s a performance about performance, with enough vulnerability to keep the blood from draining out of it, and enough menace to never let you forget that Cunanan killed at least five people. (You can see both in Criss’ full-throated “Gloria” sing-along.) Cunanan’s murders were enabled by a culture that looked the other way, but Criss makes it so that you can’t take your eyes off Andrew. He confidently spins Cunanan’s webs of bullshit, while doing just enough to tip the character’s hand: his puppy-dog over-eagerness opposite Cody Fern’s David Madson, the wanton violence with which he attacks a sandwich in the miniseries’ Chicago chapter. Even when Cunanan’s words sounded too good to be true, Criss was always believable. [Erik Adams]
Source:  https://tv.avclub.com/the-best-tv-performances-of-2018-1830914668

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

It's been a busy week, and I'm still not fully recovered from my cold.  I haven't had time to watch the entire interview (but as noted above, I saw the excerpt on the Broadway World site and I thought Darren gave a fantastic interview).

Here's the entire interview:

Via Darren Criss Army:

Conversations with Darren Criss - FULL VIDEO

(Source: youtube.com)

I'm short on time, so I only skimmed this article, but I thought Darren did a good job on articulating his reasons for being reluctant to take on another LGBTQ role.  The way I interpreted his words is that it's an issue of representation, which is crucial. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/darren-criss-wont-play-gay-characters-any-longer-for-a-truly-great-reason-15525677

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Some more articles:

via acsversace-news:

Decider wrote:
TV’s Best Musical Moments of 2018

Dec 19, 2018

1.‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’s chilling rendition of “Gloria”

If there was an award for the best television song of the year, it should go to The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. Right away Episode 2 places us in a weird position. Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuck, and Nina Jacobson’s series opens with the serial killer Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss) taking the life of his final victim — the legendary designer Gianni Versace (Édgar Ramírez). But “Manhunt” moves its story back a few days, showing us exactly how this young men who had already murdered four innocent people stole the truck that would take him to Versace’s death.

It’s as Cunanan finds “Gloria” on the radio that he’s at his least stable and most sinister. Belting it out to Laura Brannigan’s 1982 mega-hit is an immediately humanizing moment. We’ve all been in Cunanan’s musical shoes. But knowing that this manic sing-along will lead to the targeted and preventable murder of one of the most iconic designers of the ’90s warps this moment, transforming it into something dark. The brilliance of The Assassination of Gianni Versace never just rested in how sympathetic the series made its victims or how provably preventable Cunanan’s many deaths could have been. It rested in making Cunanan himself painfully relatable, and that’s chilling. — Kayla Cobb
source: https://decider.com/2018/12/19/best-tv-music-2018/

Media Village wrote:
The Top 25 TV Programs of 2018: Part Four

December 18, 2018

6)  The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)

As with his The People v O.J. Simpson, Ryan Murphy struck gold once again with the second installment of his American Crime Story franchise, telling the stories of iconic fashion designer Gianni Versace and sociopath Ted Cunanan, the spree killer who brutally murdered him (and a number of other men, most of them gay) in 1997.  For those who didn’t follow the extensive news coverage of Versace’s murder at the time, or have not read the book “Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U.S. History” by Maureen Orth on which this limited series was based, Murphy and his team revealed details of the troubled lives of Cunanan’s victims and their loved ones, among them Lee Miglin (played by Mike Ferrell) and his wife, Marilyn Miglin (Judith Light), the first Home Shopping Network superstar.  Darren Criss (pictured at top), who was recently honored with an Emmy for his magnetic portrayal of Cunanan, is the real revelation here, but the rest of the cast is perfection; especially Edgar Ramirez as Gianni, Penelope Cruz as his sister Donatella, Ricky Martin as Gianni’s partner Antonio D’Amico, Finn Wittrock as closeted U.S. Navy lieutenant Jeff Trail and especially Cody Fern as David Madson, the young man who might have been the love of Cuanan’s life (before he murdered him).  Fern, an interesting young actor, followed his deeply felt portrayal of Madson with equally bold work in American Horror Story: Apocalypse, where he played the anti-Christ, and House of Cards (as a rising power player in Washington, D.C., society).  Same thing, right?   
source:  https://www.mediavillage.com/article/the-top-25-tv-programs-of-2018-part-four/print/

Little White Lies wrote:
The 25 best TV shows of 2018

18 Dec 2018

4. American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace (FX/BBC)

For its second season, American Crime Story followed the biggest trial of the ’90s in America with a manhunt that sprawled across state lines and led to the murder of an iconic fashion designer. But unlike The People v OJ Simpson, this story was far less interested in the famous name featured in the title and more with the assassin. Darren Criss gives an excellent performance as the sociopathic spree killer Andrew Cunanan, who is at times both mesmerising and repellent. The focus on his non-famous victims – including a breakout performance by Cody Fern – and the depiction of entrenched homophobia, which hampered the investigation, makes this a vital watch
source:  https://lwlies.com/articles/the-25-best-tv-shows-of-2018/

Them wrote:
Drumroll, Please... Presenting the Best of Queer TV in 2018

December 18, 2018
4. Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, FX

Let’s get one thing straight: The Assassination of Gianni Versace is an incredibly misleading title of the second season of Ryan Murphy’s excellent anthology series American Crime Story. Though Versace is a main character throughout and his untimely murder indeed a key part of the plot, the show never seemed as interested in recounting the details of that particular death (the protagonist is Gianni’s murderer, not the designer himself) as it was in critiquing the severely damaged system that allowed for such a thing to occur in the first place. It functions best as a close examination of the ways widespread homophobia affected people on both a personal and political level in the 1990s. Luckily, it’s all the better for it.

As a histrionic serial killer with a taste for the finer things in life, Darren Criss’ Andrew Cunanan is utterly fascinating. But unlike similar shows that place horrible people at the center, Assassination never lets its audience forget that the protagonist is still the villain of this story. In fact, it saves its best moments for those episodes that turn the narrative away from Cunanan and towards his murder victims (like “A Random Killing” and “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”), finally giving a voice to those poor queer men whose stories have largely been erased from history.
source:  https://www.them.us/story/queer-tv-in-2018

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via Darren Criss Army:

CNBC wrote:

Darren Criss says working on 'Versace' was like getting to sit with the cool kids at lunch

December 20, 2018

By Hollywood's standards, FX's limited series "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story" was a success: It garnered rave reviews, boasted a star-studded ensemble and nabbed prestigious awards, including a number of 2018 Emmy wins and 2019 Golden Globe nominations.

In September, star of the show Darren Criss won the Emmy in the category Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie for his role in "Versace." In December, it was announced that Criss has also been nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 105640904-1545344586539syncedsequence.00_15_34_08.still005.600x400
CNBC
Darren Criss, at an event for Clorox's What Comes Next Project in New York City in December.

Criss, however, doesn't measure success with such accolades. In fact, he tellsCNBC Make Itthat even if no one had watched "Versace," he would have been just as proud of the series. That's because he considers it a success just to work with people in the industry whom he has long admired, like fellow "Versace" stars Edgar Ramirez, Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin.
CNBC
source:  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/darren-criss-what-is-was-like-to-work-on-fxs-versace-miniseries.html

Darren Criss won an Emmy for Outstanding Actor in a Limited Series or Movie for his role in the "Assassination of Gianni Versace." But that's not what defines his success, the former "Glee" star said. It's getting to work with the artists he grew up admiring, such as Penelope Cruz, Ricky Martin and Edgar Ramirez.

Source:  https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/12/20/darren-criss-says-versace-set-was-like-sitting-with-the-cool-kids.html

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

TV Insider wrote:
Golden Globes 2019 Predictions: Matt Roush Gives His Picks for the TV Categories

December 20, 2018

LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE

The year’s most nominated show, FX’s riveting The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, is the front-runner in a strong category that includes HBO’s Southern Gothic Sharp Objects, Showtime docudrama Escape at Dannemora, PrimeVideo’s jaunty A Very English Scandal and (somehow) TNT’s The Alienist.

Will and Should Win: Versace

LIMITED SERIES/MOVIE ACTOR

As the murderer in Versace, electrifying Emmy winner Darren Criss is the one to beat. His strongest competition are two British favorites, English Scandal’s Hugh Grant and Benedict Cumberbatch as the mercurial Patrick Melrose, though Genius: Picasso’s Antonio Banderas is also impressive. (Alienist’s Daniel Brühl is the fifth candidate.)

Will and Should Win: Criss

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Two Emmy winners — Maisel’s Alex Borstein, representing comedy, and Westworld’s Thandie Newton for drama — are up against Versace’s Penélope Cruz, Objects’ haunting Patricia Clarkson and Handmaid’s remarkable Yvonne Strahovski. I expect the Globes will go for star power.

Will Win: Cruz

Should Win: Strahovski or Borstein

source:  https://www.tvinsider.com/738312/golden-globe-predictions-2019-matt-roush/

Hidden Remote wrote:
30 best TV episodes of 2018

December 20, 2018

American Crime Story – “House By the Lake”

[. . . ]

Why It’s One of 2018’s Best:

[ . . .]

The entirety of the episode is brilliantly tense. The first half focuses on the interaction between the two men in the immediate aftermath of Trail’s murder, utilizing Madson’s apartment as a claustrophobic tinder box of emotion. Then, the second act takes the two on the most nerve-wracking road trip of all time, complete with cryptic musical interlude by Aimee Mann.

As there’s minimal factual backstory for these two murders, the great script fills in most of the gaps with action and dialogue that humanizes and horrifies in equal measure. Criss and Fern play off one another like live wires, engaging viewers in a horrifying push and pull as one man quietly fights for his life, while another rapidly loses his grip on sanity.

– Erin Qualey

source:  https://hiddenremote.com/2018/12/20/30-best-tv-episodes-2018/2/

Decider wrote:
Kayla Cobb’s Top 10 of Everything in 2018

Dec. 20, 2018

3. Darren Criss’ second to last breakdown in ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’

[ . . . ]

Directed by Matt Bomer, the episode unravels Versace’s (Édgar Ramírez) introduction to fashion at the same time it explores the parental departure that would forever change Andrew Cunancan (Darren Criss). Quiet and somberly lit, it’s is a far cry from the gorgeous pinks of Versace’s later Miami empire as it shows Andrew’s idolized father at his lowest. However it’s not Jon Jon Briones’ incredible performance that elevates the episode from good to excellent.

After Andrew learns the truth about his father he’s forced to work at a gas station. It’s embarrassing, unglamorous work, a far fry from the narcissistic teenager we’ve come to know. And yet when asked about what his father does, Andrew begins to effortlessly lie about his upbringing despite the fact that everything about him clearly contradicts what he’s saying. It’s as if he believes he can change his fate through focused intensity alone, and he’s almost successful. After watching him commit five heartless murders it’s impressive that one of Darren Criss’ most terrifying moments is a lie about pineapples.

source:  https://decider.com/2018/12/20/kayla-cobb-best-of-everything-2018/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

Slate wrote:
2018 Was a Landmark Year for Asian American Representation

Dec 21, 2018

. . . And so early spring found a lot of Asian Americans in a familiar place: missing from the screen, overshadowed by Orientalist tropes about “the East,” wondering when we’d finally be seen and heard.

Then it happened. First slowly, then all at once, the Asian diaspora found its way into pop culture, and its big-screen stars were doing everything from trying to lose their V-card in a raunchy sex comedy (Geraldine Viswanathan’s Kayla in Blockers) to cannibalizing their miracle child (the heroine of Pixar’s Bao).* On TV, Manny Jacinto’s Florida burnout and Jameela Jamil’s name-dropping aristocrat contemplated morality and the afterlife on The Good Place, while Nico Santos, Nichole Bloom, and Jon Miyahara’s characters struggled to get by on the minimum wage at a faux Walmart in Superstore. Asian Americans even got in on two of America’s favorite pastimes in entertainment: committing murders, as Darren Criss does in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, and solving them, as with Sandra Oh in Killing Eve. (A number of the actors and characters I mention here are Brits, Canadians, Australians, etc. They constitute “Asian American” representation insofar as they represent Asian and mixed-Asian faces and identities in Western contexts for Asian American consumers.) This phenomenon wasn’t limited to fiction: It felt like there were more Asians on American magazine covers in 2018 than in every previous year combined, while newly feted celebrities wardrobe-coached in a makeover series (Tan France on Queer Eye), hosted a political comedy show (Hasan Minhaj in Patriot Act), or got married in a jaw-dropping 75-foot veil (congrats, Priyanka Chopra). You might need to consume a lot of pop culture to notice this Asian omnipresence, but, seemingly for the first time, there was something to notice.

This cascade of representation crested, of course, with Asian August, a month in which a trio of high-profile Asian American projects seized the cultural zeitgeist. The biggest among them, Crazy Rich Asians, crystallized and affirmed a definition of second-generation Asian American identity that seems embarrassingly basic and yet proved stirringly powerful: We’re not (just) Asian, but Americans who have earned a place in this country by dint of our hard work, emotional ties, and innate dignity as human beings. Meanwhile, the desktop film Searching cast John Cho, a formerly reluctant mascot for Asian American representation, in a rare leading role. And the teen rom-com To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before carved a place for itself in the YA romance canon, featuring a mixed-race family battling against cultural erosion after the Korean mother’s death.

. . . but I do think the way Asian American representation leapt forward this year—immensely, haphazardly, and cobbled together from seemingly a thousand different diasporic contexts. . . Imperfect as this distribution of Asian American representation may be, it spans genre and geography, normalization and idiosyncrasy, mainstream appeal and offbeat experimentation. True Asian American representation can only take place if it reflects the infinitely different ways Asian Americans can be.

It’s impossible not to observe that all of this pop cultural progress is taking place against a backdrop of emboldened jingoism, increased hate crimes, and horrifyingly underreported deportations of Asian immigrants and refugees, some of whom have lived in the U.S. for decades. Cultural headway alone is no match for the brute force of badged and armed scapegoating, but at least some of these movies and TV shows can help resist the gaslighting message that Asian Americans don’t belong, or even exist, in our own country. And even if “Asian American” is an artificial identity with few natural constituents, that doesn’t mean community and solidarity can’t be forged under the banner. It’s been wonderful to look back on 2018, however incompletely, to remember the progress that all of these Asian American projects and characters have made as well as to recall the thrilling effect of their totality. But I hope we’ll one day soon get to a year when their sheer numbers render even the idea of trying to list them a ludicrous and pointless proposition.
source:  https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/asian-representation-killing-eve-crazy-rich.html

The Guardian wrote:
'Sublime on every level': your top TV of 2018

21 Dec 2018

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: ‘Smacks the viewer in the face’

The series had its moments that dragged, as the suspense of the crime and subsequent manhunt lost out to delving into Andrew Cunanan’s relationship with his victims. But when the series allowed Darren Criss to shine – when his character is confronted, where the veil of lies begins to slip only for it to be painfully, indeed murderously, put back on – it was incredible. His performance was fascinating. The megalomania, the sociopathic desperation: Criss takes Cunanan and pushes this twisted character through the screen and smacks the viewer in the face with it. James Goodson, 29, Isle of Wight
source:  https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/21/patrick-melrose-killing-eve-informer-my-brilliant-friend-your-top-tv-of-2018

Cody was so good in this episode.
The Boston Globe wrote:
The TV episodes that rose to the top in 2018 - The Boston Globe

“House by the Lake”

From “American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace” (FX)

The entire season was filled with tension, as Darren Criss’s Andrew Cunanan makes his way to his final target, Versace, enabled by a homophobic justice system. It was also filled with dynamite performances. Cody Fern was stunningly good in this unforgettable hour as David Madson, a gay architect taken on the run by Cunanan after seeing Cunanan murder a friend. Fern makes Madson’s terror visceral, as Cunanan controls him with his gun and, just as powerfully, with his psychological manipulations and scary delusions. Given the opportunity to escape, Madson doesn’t, and you understand exactly why. Ryan Murphy hit the nail on the head with this episode, the peak of a potent season that, for me, was better than the “People v. O.J. Simpson” season.
Source:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2018/12/20/the-episodes-that-rose-top/kh9E1w9Jbv0St3aB1HJj0L/story.html

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

August Man wrote:
Keep your eyes on these six breakout actors in 2019

December 18, 2018

Cody Fern

Ryan Murphy’s horror television anthology American Horror Story has had its ups and downs, but one thing that can be counted upon is the stellar performance from the ensemble cast. In the latest season which just recently ended, we got a taste of fresh air by way of Cody Fern, who had a leading role as the antichrist Michael Langdon.

While this wasn’t the first time Fern had with collaborated with Murphy—the duo also worked together on The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story—it was only on Horror Story where Fern’s talents shone through. He was a true tour de force that drove the narrative in a highly compelling manner in every scene he’s in. His brooding, intense eyes only add more depth to his role as the prodigal son of Satan.

With Horror Story already renewed for two more seasons, it’s safe to say that we’d be seeing more of Fern in the coming years. After all, Murphy did tease that he was “cooking up something good” for Fern and two of his regular stars Darren Criss and Finn Wittrock (both were also in Assassination).
source;  https://augustman.com/sg/pop-culture/film-tv/keep-eyes-six-breakout-actors-2019/

Consequence of Sound wrote:
Top 25 TV Shows of 2018

December 24, 2018

09. THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE

Showrunner(s): Ryan Murphy

Where to Watch: FX

MVP of the Show: After stealing the screen on Glee, Darren Criss had been noticeably absent from most of Ryan Murphy’s ensuing productions, what with the exception of two episodes on American Horror Story: Hotel. Now we know that Murphy was simply saving the best for later, seeing how Criss’ role as real-life serial killer Andrew Cunanan is the type of career-changing opportunity that any young star might salivate over. The drooling’s mutual, though, as one of the strangest feelings all year long was being both charmed and terrified by Criss on a weekly basis. No doubt influenced by the sordid, hot stuff protagonists of any given Bret Easton Ellis novel, Criss exudes a deadly, charismatic energy that legitimizes the series, saving it from being another maudlin exercise from Murphy. Even when the show sags, and it does, Criss never slouches.

Must-See Episode: One of the draws of Versace is the way in which Murphy and writer Tom Rob Smith ably paint perspectives. It would have been so easy to simply follow the footsteps of Cunanan — and we probably wouldn’t have opposed, given Criss’ performance — but they didn’t. Instead, like the first season of American Crime Story, the action pivots between its revolving door of supporting characters, which winds up providing weight for many of the themes this series dances around. The best example of this is in the season’s fifth episode, “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell”, where the focus isn’t even on Versace or the murders, but on the affairs of U.S. Navy lieutenant Jeff Trail (Finn Wittrock). It’s a surprisingly patient meditation on the titular policy and its harrowing effect on Trail’s life, whose death is made even more tragic given the in-depth context.

Why We Binge: Stylish, sensual, and curiously affecting, The Assassination of Gianni Versace is a genuine statement from Murphy. On the surface, it’s a total distillation of the veteran producer’s worst tendencies — his hit-or-miss brand of melodrama, his ensemble of larger-than-life caricatures, and his manic, sweeping gesticulations at cultural commentary — but there’s a surprising depth to the glitz and the glam. That depth is drawn though the eyes of Cunanan, who serves as a deadly window into a thriving scene hampered by society around it. It’s a tricky line Murphy toes, and one that hasn’t been without its share of controversy, but he comes out on top, delivering a lavish and sobering portrait of queer culture, not just for yesterday, but today. In hindsight, it was something of a prologue to his next block of historical television in Pose. –Michael Roffman
source:  https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/top-25-tv-shows-of-2018/3/

Wired wrote:
The 12 Greatest TV Moments From the Endless 2018 Stream

12-25-18

American Crime Story ‘Drive’s You to the Edge

The trick of The Assassination of Gianni Versace—as well as its American Crime Story predecessor, The People v. O. J. Simpson—is that you already know the ending: Andrew Cunanan killed fashion icon Gianni Versace. What the show does is lay out the groundwork for his murder. And those moments, thanks to the Emmy-winning performance of Darren Criss as Cunanan, make for far more drama than the eventual outcome. Like, for example, the scene where Cunanan and his lover David Madson (a heartbreaking Cody Fern, who would go on to play the antichrist in showrunner Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story this year) head to a bar on the road trip Andrew has forced them to go on. As they walk into the small watering hole, none other than Aimee Mann begins singing a cover of the Cars’ “Drive,” and a series of moments of resignation set in. David, attempting an escape through a busted out window in the bathroom, realizes he’ll never get away and that Andrew might very well kill him. (He does.) Andrew, listening to Mann croon “You can’t go on/thinking nothing’s wrong,” realizes David’s fear and his own fright at being left alone and steadily cries listening to Mann in an unbroken 90-second shot. Ryan Murphy shows, including Pose and Glee, are known for their musical moments, but this went far beyond song and dance and cut to the bone—and probably is the scene where Criss secured that Emmy. —A.W.

source:  https://www.wired.com/story/best-tv-moments-2018/

Jeremy, this may be interesting to you.  :happy face
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pkcimyxTT31wcyxsbo1_640
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story coming to Netflix France and Belgium 18 January, 2019 | Source

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via Darren Criss Army:

Huffington Post wrote:
The Best TV and Music of 2018 - As Picked by the HuffPost UK Team

Pretty much perfect from start to finish, former ‘Glee’ star Darren Criss as serial killer Andrew Cunanan is brilliantly unnerving, and he quite rightly bagged the Outstanding Lead Actor Emmy for his portrayal. His performance, together with the stunning cinematography, flawless soundtrack, reverse storytelling and a script that had more twists and turns than Katie Price’s personal life meant I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen. TV really doesn’t get better than this.
via Darren Criss Army

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pkfi10BUXY1wcyxsbo1_1280
The Assassination of Gianni Versace coming to Netflix Germany/Austria/Switzerland 18 January 2018 | Source

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Thank you for the information, Poppy. 

But I prefer to rewatch specific scenes than the whole show. The story is too sad for me.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I understand, Jeremy.  The show had wonderful writing and beautiful acting, but it just broke my heart. 

Via acsversace-news:

Decider wrote:
Sean T. Collins’s Eight Best TV Shows of 2018

Dec 28, 2018

2. ‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ (FX)

Lions prey on the most vulnerable members of the herd—the lame, the sick, the slow, the scrawny, the ones who fall behind. For Andrew Cunanan, the gay community of the Clinton ’90s was his quarry, and prey were thick on the ground: the Navy officer forced out of the only career he’d ever wanted by Don’t Ask Don’t Tell; the promising young architect dancing between the raindrops of the public closet and the private desire for connection; the closeted Chicago real-estate magnate tortured to death for achieving the kind of straight-society success perpetually out of Cunanan’s reach; even the world-famous fashion designer for rock stars and royalty whose homosexuality and alleged HIV+ status were still taboo despite his incredible talent.

The difference between this killer and those who stalk the savannah, of course, is that Cunanan himself was a part of the herd he slaughtered: smart, handsome, driven, talented, and tormented by homophobia (with class and race riding shotgun) all his life. The hunted became a hunter.

Writer Tom Rob Smith, creator Ryan Murphy, and actor Darren Criss trace Cunanan’s devolution from golden child turned grifter turned murderer backwards while treating his victims as co-protagonists, affording them the dignity he stripped away and making this one of the very best portraits of a serial killer ever painted on a screen of any size.
source:  https://decider.com/2018/12/28/sean-t-collins-best-tv-shows-2018/

Netflix Life wrote:
10 best new shows to watch on Netflix in January 2019

December 28, 2018

2. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Season: 2

Developed By: Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski

Starring: Darren Criss, Édgar Ramírez, Ricky Martin, Penélope Cruz, Judith Light, Finn Wittrock, Cody Fern, Max Greenfield, Mike Ferrell, Jon Jon Briones

Release Date: Thursday, Jan. 17

In case you somehow hadn’t heard by now, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story was one of the best — if not the best — television events of 2018. But you most likely heard, given that the FX limited series has enjoyed and embarrassment of riches, from critical acclaim to an outpouring of accolades. Aside from being just simply well made at all angles from beginning to end, the series is more than worth a watch for Darren Criss’ show-stopping performance alone. No more excuses! American Crime Story: Versace comes to Netflix this month.

Based on true events and the book Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U.S. History by Maureen Orth, the limited series traces the events leading up and following the death of fashion designer Gianni Versace (Édgar Ramírez). Over the course of nine episodes, American Crime Story attempts to unpack why spree killer Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss) murdered Versace and four other men and what systemic issues failed each of them. It’s a chilling thrill to watch Criss go full unhinged in the gripping series.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story deservingly wound up the most nominated television series at the 70th Emmy Awards, scoring nine total nominations and picking up three wins. Versace won Outstanding Limited Series, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series for Darren Criss, and Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series for Ryan Murphy. Yes, it was that good. There’s no word on when the third season of American Crime Story will premiere, which means it’s more than necessary to binge-watch the hit second season this month!
source:  https://netflixlife.com/2018/12/28/best-new-shows-netflix-january-2019-grace-and-frankie/10/

Netflix Life wrote:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story comes to Netflix in January 2019

Well, the opportunity presents itself in the new year. American Crime Story: Versace arrives on Netflix for instant streaming on Thursday, Jan. 17, one year to the day after its premiere on FX.

[ . . . ]

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story finished its run with positive reception from critics and received nine nominations at the Emmy Awards, the most nominated show of the night. The series walked away with the trophy for Outstanding Limited Series, while Ryan Murphy won Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series and Darren Criss won for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series. Versace also received a number of nominations at the upcoming Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild award ceremonies.

If all those accolades aren’t convincing enough for you to eagerly add the series to your watch list, then consider the knockout cast that also includes Penélope Cruz, Ricky Martin, Judith Light, and Finn Wittrock, all of whom were nominated for Emmys for their performances. But the cast member to truly tune if for is Darren Criss, who’s absolutely mesmerizing as Andrew Cunanan and will leave all your Blaine Anderson teenage dreams back at McKinley High. Will you be watching?

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story will be available to stream on Netflix on Thursday, Jan. 17.

source:  https://netflixlife.com/2018/12/18/assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-comes-netflix-january-2019/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

I agree 100% with this.  "House by the Lake" was my favorite episode (although I also really admired many of the other episodes, including the first episode "The Man Who Would Be Vogue" and the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" episode).  The acting by Darren and Cody was amazing in "House by the Lake," and the theme of internalized homophobia was so striking in this episode--it was what Andrew used to manipulate David to keep David feeling that he was helplessly a captive, causing David to feel psychologically tethered to Andrew.  It was incredibly, deeply sad.
First Post wrote:
2018's 20 best TV episodes: From BoJack Horseman's Free Churro to Westworld's Kikusaya

December 30, 2018

12. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Episode 4: House by the Lake

As a series based on real life events, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story feels like a docudrama with brilliant casting, excellent acting, and a gripping, gritty narrative. The series has a lot at stake — from staying true to the way the events surrounding Versace’s death unfolded to tackling issues such as homophobia and HIV, among others.

On the heels of the sombre episode 3 — A Random Killing (which portrayed serial killer Andrew Cunanan, played with uncanny perfection in a career-defining role by Darren Criss, torturing and killing Lee Miglin, a big-shot Chicago real estate developer who’d invited gay escort Cunanan over to his house in his wife’s absence) — comes the episode House by the Lake. This genuinely terrifying and sad episode delves into Cunanan’s first murder — his cold blooded, premeditated murder of his acquaintance Jeff Trail, a former US Navy lieutenant, in the loft apartment of his former lover David Madson. . .  Because the series switches back and forth, we later learn in a subsequent episode that Cunanan might have really loved Madson in some way, which makes his killing of Madson unbearably sad. Also gut-wrenching is the fact that both Trail and Madson (played beautifully by the ridiculously good looking Finn Wittrock and the young-Andrew-McCarthy-lookalike Cody Fern, respectively) were nice, young men — who were dealing with their own insecurities at that time, about their professional abilities and their identities as young gay men. It’s one of those sad, beautiful episodes — made worse in its sadness and beauty because it’s all true.
source:  https://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/2018s-20-best-tv-episodes-from-bojack-horsemans-free-churro-to-westworlds-kikusaya-5806851.html

Wow, high praise!
The Killing Times TV wrote:
The Killing Times Top 20 Crime Dramas Of The Year: Part four, 5-1

December 30, 2018

1. American Crime Story: The Assassination Of Gianni Versace
BBC Two

BBC Two

It’s rare that a drama stays with you for long, but American Crime Story: The Assassination Of Gianni Versace was most definitely one of them. On the surface, it was an archetypical dramatisation of a murder spree but beneath that there was so much more to process, including a searing indictment of homophobia in 1990s America. Superficial scanning might have also concluded that this would be a relatively standard study of vacuous 1990s opulence and excess. It wasn’t. Yes, there were the peculiar dynamics within the Versace family present, but as the layers peeled back this became a story about something completely different. At its centre, Darren Criss gave the performance of a lifetime as Andrew Cunanan, the narcissistic killer who brutally murdered his way across America. As we watched we saw a disturbed young man so desperate for fame and fortune, acceptance and love, that he created such a dizzying raft of different personalities – and weaved such a heady web of lies – it was difficult to know where, or who, he would be next.

The surrounding players in his maelstrom were equally amazing in their own roles, with special mention to Judith Light for her sublime performance as Marilyn Miglin and Jon Jon Briones as Andrew’s terrifying father.

American Crime Story: The Assassination Of Gianni Versace unpicked the American dream, expertly exposed prejudice and the culture of fame, and, in British screenwriter Tom Rob Smith, unearthed a real gem. A frankly flawless masterpiece of crime drama that should be essential viewing for any fan of the genre. -Andy D

source:  https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2018/12/30/the-killing-times-top-20-crime-dramas-of-the-year-part-four-5-1-2/

Queerty wrote:
Posers, princesses, criminals and techies: Queerty’s pics for the best TV of the year

December 30, 2018

10. American Crime Story: Versace

Speaking of Ryan Murphy, and speaking of crazy crushes, we still have the hots for Darren Criss, thanks to his layered portrayal of psycho killer Andrew Cunanan. Versace plays like an opera from its opening scenes: a tragedy of a brilliant designer taken too soon, his boyfriend who had no legal protections for his relationship and a charming, intelligent young man who could have been so much more had he not turned to violence.
Source:  https://www.queerty.com/posers-princesses-criminals-techies-queertys-pics-best-tv-year-20181230

EDIT:  Added this article:

Collider wrote:
Christina Radish’s Best TV of 2018: From ‘Homecoming’ to ‘Lost in Space’

December 30, 2018

Best Performance of a Real-Life Person: Darren Criss (American Crime Story)

The performance Darren Criss gave as serial killer Andrew Cunanan in the FX series American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace is one of those transformative performances that will always remain a stand-out on his career resume. As we learned about the harrowing path that led a young man to murder iconic fashion designer Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramirez), leaving a trail of bodies along the way, we got to witness an actor losing himself in a character that took him on a dark path that spiraled into tragedy.
Source:  http://collider.com/best-tv-of-2018/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

via acsversace-news:

Niner Times wrote:
The Best Performances on Television in 2018

December 31, 2018

Darren Criss as Andrew Cunanan (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)

To say that this is a “good” performance would be a gross understatement. This is certainly in the top five out of this listDarren Criss steps into the role of one of history’s notorious serial killers, showing a wide range of emotions in the process. This portrayal really did an excellent job at presenting this killer as more than just a generic villain, and tried to understand the methods behind his madness. While he may have previously been known for his role on “Glee,” it seems as though Criss has set himself up to be an acting juggernaut across genres.

Judith Light as Marilyn Miglin (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)

When discussing this series, many might overlook this particular performance…and that’s a shame. Judith Light’s portrayal of a grieving wife in the spotlight following her husband’s murder is heavy. While the character isn’t at the center of the entire story, she does play a major role in showcasing the emotional toll that Andrew Cunanan’s killing spree had on those left behind.

Penélope Cruz as Donatella Versace (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)

Picking individuals from this limited series is difficult because the entire cast is fantastic. Along with the others on this list, Penélope Cruz really stands out. Unfortunately, she isn’t always the focus on the series, but she still steals every scene she is in. Stepping into the role of a living figure is no easy task, but Cruz captures the very public grief that Donatella Versace experienced over 20 years ago. This portrayal shows the importance of persevering in the face of complete and utter tragedy.
source:  https://ninertimes.com/2018/12/the-best-performances-on-television-in-2018/

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry for my lack of posting--I've been really busy with family commitments.

Via Darren Criss Army:

The Producers Guild Awards released their nominations today.  Congrats to Ryan and the ACS Versace producers!
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pkto4hdWS41ubd9qxo1_640

Congrats to the producers of ACS Versace for the Producers Guild of America nomination for The David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Limited Series Television.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_inline_pkto3kS6z91tz53qh_1280
Other nominees are “Escape at Dannemora”, “Maniac”, “The Romanoffs” and “Sharp Objects”.

American Film Institute (AFI) Awards also were today.  Congrats to Ryan, Tom Rob Smith and the cast and crew of ACS Versace!

Some pics:
Spoiler:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktt7kFUue1ubd9qxo1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktt7kFUue1ubd9qxo2_1280
Source

AFI AWARDS 2018 March of Time

Darren and ACS Versace are included in AFI’s 2018 “March Of Time” video.

(The 2018 portion starts at 2:09, Darren is first seen at 2:59.)

This is cool.  :happy face  IMDB.

Darren Criss of "American Crime Story": "No Small Parts" from American Crime Story (2016-)

Via acsversace-news:

American Film Institute Awards. :happy face

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktvjxhDXF1wcyxsbo1_640

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktvjxhDXF1wcyxsbo2_1280
Source | 4 January 2019

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktxza4T0q1wcyxsbo2_640

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktxza4T0q1wcyxsbo1_1280
Source | 4 January 2019

Pics:
Spoiler:

Producer Guild Award Nominations.  :happy face

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Tumblr_pktvbmzQ6W1wcyxsb_og_500
Deadline wrote:
Producers Guild Unveils Film And TV Nominations

January 4, 2019

The David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Limited Series Television
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (Season 2)

Producers: Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Alexis Martin Woodall, Tom Rob Smith, Daniel Minahan, Brad Falchuk, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski, Chip Vucelich, Maggie Cohn, Eric Kovtun, Lou Eyrich, Eryn Krueger Mekash

Escape at Dannemora
Maniac
The Romanoffs
Sharp Objects
Source:  https://deadline.com/2019/01/producers-guild-awards-2019-nominees-movies-tv-full-list-1202529101/

-

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

659The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Empty Satellite Awards (January 3, 2018) Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:12 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Satellite Awards (January 3, 2018)

via acsversace-news:

Congrats to Darren and Ryan, and the cast and crew of ACS Versace!

belleybuttons:

International press Academy wrote:
ROMA, A STAR IS BORN, Set for Top Honors at 23rd Satellite™️ Awards

January 3, 2019

Notable television award winners are Amy Adams for “Sharp Objects,” Darren Criss for “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” Julia Roberts for “Homecoming,” and Brendan Gleeson for “Mr. Mercedes” from showrunner David E. Kelley based on the novel by Stephen King. 

The Satellite presentation is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 22, 2019 in Los Angeles.
Miniseries & Limited Series
WINNER: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” FX

“Homecoming,” Prime Video
“The Looming Tower,” Hulu
“Patrick Melrose,” Showtime
“Sharp Objects,” HBO
“A Very English Scandal,” Prime Video

Actor in a Miniseries & Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

Daniel Brühl, “The Alienist,” TNT
WINNER: Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” FX
Benedict Cumberbatch, “Patrick Melrose,” Showtime
Jeff Daniels, “The Looming Tower,” Hulu
Hugh Grant, “A Very English Scandal,” BBC
Jared Harris, “The Terror,” AMC

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENTS

WINNER: Ensemble — Television:  The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
source:  http://www.pressacademy.com/news/the-international-press-academy-announces-nominations-for-the-23rd-annual-satellite-awards-copy/

-

660The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 33 Empty Dorian Award Nominations Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Dorian Award nominations.

via acsversace-news:

d-criss-news:
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
'The Favourite,' 'Pose,' 'Killing Eve' Lead Dorian Award Nominations

1/3/2019

The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics, which votes on the annual awards, also announced the host of the Jan. 12 ceremony.

Yorgos Lanthimos’ period piece The Favourite, FX’s ball culture musical Pose and BBC America’s serial-killer drama Killing Evelead the list of 2018 nominees for The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics’ (GALECA) annual Dorian Awards, announced today.

The awards, voted on by GALECA’s over 200 international members, who come from the U.S., Australia, Canada and the U.K., also honor films with LGBTQ themes. . .

[. . . ]

Within GALECA’s TV categories, Pose and Killing Eve led its peers with three nominations each, Pose for TV drama of the year, TV performance of the year - actor for Billy Porter and TV musical performance of the year for Porter, MJ Rodriguez and Our Lady J’s “Home.“ Killing Eve landed nods for TV drama of the year and TV performance of the year - actress for co-leads Sandra Oh and Jody Comer.

Up for the artist of the year, an award that honors “a truly groundbreaking force in film, stage and/or television,” are Bradley Cooper, Hannah Gadsby, Lady Gaga, Nicole Kidman and Ryan Murphy.

“We’re thrilled by the strong variety of films and TV performances our diverse group of members has chosen to praise,” GALECA president and editorial director of The Advocate Diane Anderson-Minshall said in a statement. “In a lovely compliment to the Time’s Up movement, several categories, including Wilde Artist of the Year, Wilde Wit of the Year and Rising Star, are dominated by women this year. And it’s inspiring that the majority of our Director of the Year nominees are people of color, including Spike Lee, Barry Jenkins, and Alfonso Cuarón.”

[ . . .]

The Society also announced on Thursday that pop-culture pundit Frank DeCaro will host the show, which is set to take place at the Paley restaurant in Hollywood’s Columbia Square on Saturday, Jan. 12 at noon. See the full list of nominees below.

TV Drama of the Year

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
The Handmaid’s Tale
Homecoming
Killing Eve
Pose

TV Performance of the Year — Actor

Darren Criss, American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal
Billy Porter, Pose
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Ben Whishaw, A Very English Scandal

source:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dorian-award-nominations-favourite-pose-lead-1173113

-

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum