Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 35]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Some articles I didn't get to post earlier:

Via acsversace-news:

Independent wrote:
Golden Globes 2019 predictions: Who will win and who should win?

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Will Win: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Should Win: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
American Crime Story may soon prove to be the most successful Ryan Murphy show when it comes to awards recognition. After a firecracker of a season that was The People v OJ Simpson, the series returned with an altogether different, darker, and pulpier take with The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Although it’s competing against the also excellent Sharp Objects, a slow-burning Gillian Flynn adaptation, The Assassination of Gianni Versace is simply too ambitious for the HFPA to resist.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

Will Win: Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace​

Should Win: Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace

American Crime Story is all about the show-stopping performances. When it came to The People v OJ Simpson, there wasn’t a clear scene-stealer, although Sarah “I am begging your from my soul” Paulson was the one to pick up a Golden Globe for it. This time around, however, it’s all about Darren Criss. The former Glee star is nothing short of revelatory as serial killer Andrew Cunanan, a sociopath that we revile but whose story we can’t resist investing in, as the show traces back to the origins of his murder spree.
source:  https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/golden-globes-2019-predictions-winners-best-film-actor-actress-star-is-born-roma-a8710036.html

haha.  "Duh, Darren Criss."  :amused
Consequences of Sound wrote:
Golden Globes 2019: Who Will Win, Who Should Win

January 3, 2019

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES, OR TV MOVIE

Antonio Banderas, Genius: Picasso
Daniel Bruhl, The Alienist
Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace
Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose
Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal

Who Should Win: Darren Criss

Who Will Win: Darren Criss
::glances at list of names:: Duh, Darren Criss. —Michael Roffman

BEST LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE
The Alienist
The Assasination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
Dirty John
Escape at Dannemora
Sharp Objects
A Very English Scandal

Who Should Win: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Who Will Win: Sharp ObjectsThere’s so much star power emanating from HBO’s Sharp Objects, and star power is the fuel of the Globes. Another promising factor is that the series dominates every category in television this year. And, yeah, it also doesn’t hurt that Jean-Marc Vallée is involved, whose Big Little Lies ran away with nearly every award last year. Still, nobody puts Ryan Murphy in the corner, so don’t count out Versace … but don’t bet on it, either. –Michael Roffman
source:  https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/golden-globes-2019-who-will-win-who-should-win/3/

K Site TV wrote:
Shilo Adams: Top 25 TV Shows of 2018

Jan. 2, 2019

10. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace is a case of needing to see the forest in spite of the trees. Once you get past the unconventional structure which reverse chronologically follows Versace murderer Andrew Cunanan in lieu of fleshing out its title subject, the season eschews typical true crime trappings and becomes a visceral, almost smothering examination of homophobia buttressed by sumptuous direction and a towering and layered performance from Emmy winner Darren Criss. Its stylish, almost operatic extravagance and deep sense of empathy help the sometimes bloated episode times, while the prioritizing of character-focused episodes and the “why” over the “how” produces many a narrative gut punch. Versace still believes that Cunanan was a monster for what he did to the iconic fashion designer, as well as everything that led up to the events of that fateful day in July 1997, but it spends nine episodes showing you that not all monsters are born that way. Sometimes they’re created by those around them.
source:  http://www.ksitetv.com/american-crime-story/tv-best-shows-2018-top-25/188543/2/

Variety wrote:
Golden Globes Predictions: Who Will Win (and Who Should)

January 3, 2019

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE

Will win: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX)

Should win: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX)

Don’t count out: “A Very English Scandal” (Amazon)

Ryan Murphy’s true crime anthology series is back in the running for the second time, and after taking the trophy for its “The People v. O.J. Simpson” installment in 2017, it is poised to see another win. The Emmy wins and star turn for Darren Criss certainly helped boost its profile — as did more recent headlines from Criss who said this would be his last gay role. Murphy may have mastered the format, but Amazon’s three-part limited series based on former Parliament leader Jeremy Thorpe’s real-life sex scandal left the audience wanting more and may prove to be tough competition, too.

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE ACTOR

Will win: Hugh Grant (“A Very English Scandal”)

Should win: Hugh Grant (“A Very English Scandal”)

Don’t count out: Darren Criss (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)

Hugh Grant took on real-life politician Jeremy Thorpe for his first small screen role and proved a maturity in doing so. Normally nominated for rom-coms on the film side of the ballot, spending more time (three episodes) with a more serious side of him made him a shoo-in for recognition once again. However, Criss’ own star turn as the infamous Andrew Cunanan earned him an Emmy and caused the audience to empathize, even if not fully sympathize, with a spree killer.
source:  https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/golden-globes-2019-predictions-will-win-should-win-1203098049/

Darren mentioned in Time Magazine.  :happy face
Time wrote:
Here's Who Will Win at the 2019 Golden Globes

January 3, 2019

Best Limited Series
The Alienist | The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story | Escape at Dannemora | Sharp Objects | A Very English Scandal

Ryan Murphy is prolific. He has now been nominated five times and won once at the Golden Globes. He has two shows nominated this year: Pose in the competitive Drama category, and The Assassination of Gianni Versace in the slightly less competitive Limited Series category. Voters will probably give a win to Versace, which already has plenty of awards show momentum thanks to an all-star cast and an Emmy-winning turn from Darren Criss.
source:  http://time.com/5483235/golden-globes-2019-predictions/

TV Guide wrote:
Who Will Win at the Golden Globes (And Who Should)?

Jan. 4, 2019

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

The Alienist
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
Escape at Dannemora
Sharp Objects
A Very English Scandal

Who Should Win: Sharp Objects. Don’t tell mama.

Who Will Win: Expect The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story to play the role of Big Little Lies at this year’s ceremony, winning all over the place.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Antonio Banderas, Genius: Picasso
Daniel Bruhl, The Alienist
Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose
Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal

Who Should Win: Darren Criss was a breakout star in 2018 and with good reason. His performance in The Assassination of Gianni Versace was unmatched.

Who Will Win: Criss.
source:  https://www.tvguide.com/news/golden-globes-predictions-2019/

d-criss-news:
Inquirer wrote:
Will it be a night of historic firsts at Golden Globes?

January 03, 2019

LOS ANGELES—Will it be a night of historic firsts at the 76th Golden Globe Awards?

If Darren Criss wins best actor-limited series or TV movie for his portrayal of Andrew Cunanan in “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” he will be the first Filipino-American to win a Golden Globe Award.

Darren is the first Fil-Am to be nominated in this category of the Golden Globes, which honors excellence in both film and television, to be handed out on Sunday (Monday morning, Manila time) at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills.

Darren is up against Antonio Banderas (“Genius: Picasso”), Daniel Brühl (“The Alienist”), Benedict Cumberbatch (“Patrick Melrose”) and Hugh Grant (“A Very English Scandal”).

Lou Diamond Phillips has the honor of being the first Fil-Am to earn a Globe nod. He garnered the best supporting actor nomination for “Stand and Deliver” in 1989.

Last September, Darren already made history when he became the first Fil-Am to win a lead actor Emmy trophy.
source:  https://entertainment.inquirer.net/312006/will-it-be-a-night-of-historic-firsts-at-golden-globes

That IMDB video.  :happy face
d-criss-news:

Darren Criss Roles Before Glee & American Crime Story | IMDb NO SMALL PARTS

Actor and musician Darren Criss is perhaps best known for playing two very different characters in television: Blaine Anderson in Glee (2010-2015) and spree killer Andrew Cunanan in American Crime Story (2018). Take a look back at his career and what lead him to this year’s Golden Globe nomination.

This is touching.

HFPA in Conversation: Ryan Murphy, Golden Globe Veteran

As a child, Ryan Murphy already dreamed of a career in Hollywood.  After a short stint in TV visionary, who has been breaking boundaries since the late 90s.  In the last 20 years, he has created, produced and directed shows like Nip/Tuck, The New Normal, Glee, Scream Queens, Feud, American Horror Story – that launched a season-long anthology format eight years ago -, 9-1-1, Pose and American Crime Story. | 2 January 2019
source:  https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/hfpa-conversation-ryan-murphy-golden-globe-veteran

via acsversace-news

Too Fab wrote:
Golden Globe Predictions: Who Will Win and Who Should Win in 2019

January 1, 2019

Best Actor (Limited Series or Movie Made for Television)

Antonio Banderas, “Genius: Picasso”
Daniel Bruhl, “The Alienist”
Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”
Benedict Cumberbatch, “Patrick Melrose”
Hugh Grant, “A Very English Scandal”

This might be the easiest category of the night. Hugh Grant does a great job playing against type for “A Very English Scandal,” but he’s outshined by Ben Whishaw, who could surprise with a supporting win. We don’t think “The Alienist” really garnered enough attention for Daniel Bruhl to stand out above his more well-known counterparts, while Benedict Cumberbatch and Antonio Banderas are the “famous” nominations (though both were transformative performances). Still, this one should be a slam-dunk for Darren Criss, who embodied serial killer Andrew Cunanan with a sinister, tragic and deranged humanity we could not take our eyes off of. Already an Emmy winner, we expect follow-up gold.

Should Win: Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Will Win: Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Best Limited Series or Movie Made for Television

“The Alienist” (TNT)
“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX) - EMMY
“Escape at Dannemora” (Showtime)
“Sharp Objects” (HBO)
“A Very English Scandal” (Amazon)

Honestly, this category seems like a foregone conclusion. “Sharp Objects” was a boutique piece that fell flat in execution, “The Alienist” didn’t quite rise to the occasion, while “Escape at Dannemora” flew very under the radar. “A Very English Scandal” was compelling and got some amazing performances from its cast, so it could be a contender here, and especially with the HFPA voting. But it’s still hard to picture anything more deserving than “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” which was absolutely must-see TV from start to finish.

Should Win: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

“"Will Win:** "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”
source:  http://toofab.com/2019/01/01/golden-globe-predictions-who-will-win-and-who-should-win-in-2019/

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I'm a bit late because the last episode has been aired a few weeks ago but Cody Fern was one of the main actors in the last season of AHS. Actually, the season was centered on his character, a bit in the same way ACS Versace was centered on Andrew C. And I found him really credible as the big villain. 

Jon Jon Briones' role was similar to the one he had on ACS, in terms of screentime and personnality of the character. I found him credible too.

However, Poppy, I wouldn't recommand the season for you. Cody's character eats hearts and make heads explode (literally, not a figure of speech!).

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for your comments, Jeremy!   Yes, I read that both Cody and Jon Jon were on the last season of AHS--so happy that Ryan is continuing to use their talents.  I hope both of them stay in "the Ryan Murphy family" and that they are in other future projects of Ryan's!  :fingers crossed   How great that Cody took a lead role (I read that he did a fantastic job!) and how wonderful that Jon Jon also was part of the show!  

I also ran across photos and gifs of Cody in AHS scenes and saw his character eating some bloody organs (I quickly tried to look away!). haha.  Yes, I completely agree with you Jeremy, I wouldn't recommend me watching either!   scared

I'm having internet connection issues with Darren Criss Army and acsversace-news, and also Darren-fan tumblr sites.   I'll try back later.

Golden Globes tomorrow!  I'm not gonna get too intense about this--but it would be nice to see Darren take home a Golden Globe (icing on the cake, like I said to Jeremy).

664tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Golden Globe Awards (January 6, 2019) Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Golden Globes (January 6, 2019)

Ok, went out to dinner, came back home, and within a couple of minutes, watched the part of the Golden Globes in Darren's category (Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Film)!  So if you don't want to know who won that award, don't click on the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

And the Golden Globe award for Best TV Movie/Limited Series goes to . . .

Spoiler:

I still am being blocked from seeing the physical blogs on tumblr.  So I'm gonna see if I can post by logging in and looking at the feed of acsversace-news.

Some pics:

Via acsversace-news:

Spoiler:

I really like this pic.  :happy face
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxnmw8Z2g1v3daoq_540
nepalesruben: .@DarrenCriss arrives at the #GoldenGlobe awards. #darrencriss

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxk2rSovX1wcyxsbo2_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxk2rSovX1wcyxsbo3_1280
jonjonbriones: And we’re off!!! Wishing all the nominees an amazing time tonight at the @Golden globes especially @darrencriss @mrrpmurphy @edgarramirez25 @penelopecruzoficial @theebillyporter @crashbpm @ninajacobson @bradfalchuk and everyone at @americancrimestoryfx Assassination of Gianni Versace and @poseonfx Thank you @rubenvnepales @janetrnepales for having me & @olivertolentino for my tux!

The Assassination of Gianni Versace Wins Best Limited Series - 2019 Golden Globes (Highlight)

The producers of “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” accept the award for Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television at the 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards. | 6 January 2019

Youtube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=_sHSVfUtVjk

acsversace-news
Darren Criss Wins Best Actor in a Limited Series - 2019 Golden globes (Highlight)
Darren Criss accepts the award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television at the 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards. | 6 January 2019
YouTube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PYe-WmztHCw

Here is another video with more coverage before the announcement that he won.  I like that Michael B. Jordan stood up for Darren and that Darren acknowledged that.  :happy face

YouTube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrajPNejm8

So happy for him.  heart  His jacket is pretty--inspired by Japanese cherry blossoms.  :happy face  

acsversace-news

Golden Globes 2019: Darren Criss Before His Big Win (Exclusive)

ET spoke with the ‘Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ star at the Golden Globe Awards, which aired Sunday on NBC. | 6 January 2019

Edgar and Elizabeth Nyamayaro spreading the important message of He For She. 

Edgar Ramirez Promotes Gender Equality at 2019 Golden Globes

The “American Crime Story” star speaks about his fight against gender inequality on the 2019 Golden Globes red carpet. Hear about the U.N. initiative HeForShe! | 6 January 2019

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxzjlxQ2z1wcyxsbo2_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxzjlxQ2z1wcyxsbo1_540
  Source  6 January 2019

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxxvwWC6k1v3daoq_540
goldenglobes: Congratulations to Darren Criss (@DarrenCriss) - Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television - The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (@ACSFX). - #GoldenGlobes

acsversace-news has more congratulatory messages on social media.  I thought I would post this one from Zedrick Restauro, who has consistently voiced his pride in being a part of this show, his pride in that part of the series that dealt with the story of a Filipino family, and his pride of his fellow Filipino cast members.  :happy face
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxydvU5OL1wcyxsbo6_r1_540
Reactions to Darren Criss’ and The Assassination of Gianni Versace’s Golden Globe wins (part 1) | 6 January 2019

Such a cute story.  Glad Zedrick shared.  :amused
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxyamJ8Qg1wcyxsbo2_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxyamJ8Qg1wcyxsbo1_540
Source

Jon Jon's congrats to Darren.  :happy face
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxyupz0XF1wcyxsbo1_540
jonjonbriones: DARREN WON!!!!!!!!!! @darrencriss @goldenglobes

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxksgZB4J1wcyxsbo1_540

Source  Link to article

Sweet message.  :cry
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxhs5njme1wcyxsbo1_540
mattbomer: My friend @theebillyporter has uplifted me, inspired me, and made me laugh for 20 years. If you haven’t seen his performance as Pray Tell on the incredible @poseonfx you are missing out on something truly special. I’m so happy that the @goldenglobes are giving him the recognition he deserves. Good luck tonight Billy. You are, and have always been, a groundbreaking talent! Go! #goldenglobes #truetalent #pose #billyporter #goldmeetsgolden

Nice choice of GG red carpet looks of Cody Fern and Billy Porter (and Judy Greer).  :happy face

Cody Fern, Billy Porter, Judy Greer Defy Gender Types On Golden Globes Red Carpet

Graeme O'Neil reacts to Cody Fern, Billy Porter, and Judy Greer playing the gender norms with their red carpet looks at the 2019 Golden Globes. | 6 January 2019

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

665tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Golden Globes (January 6, 2019) Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:23 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'm having trouble posting any videos, unfortunately.

Via dcriss-news:

Spoiler:

Golden Globe-related. 

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxeam9fKI1v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxealLiq91v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxeam8NSP1v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkxealrsFf1v3daoq_540
ecarenphoto: Golden Globe Award nominees @edgarramirez25 and @darrencriss making the case for beards!  Both brilliant actors gave such unforgettable performances in American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace and were both so thoughtful, genuine, fun and inspiring at our shoot. It’s dreamy when you meet artists you admire and respect so much and they are so lovely in real life! colors 

Outtakes from @thewrap cover story. #creativedirector @guerin_ad #photo asst @beardedimmaculateconception@cameron_gardner @joshdavisshoots .

#darrencriss #edgarramirez #portrait #elisabethcaren #editorial #photoshoot #goldenglobes #awards #bestactor #bestsupportingactor #fx #blackandwhite #versace

Source: instagram.com

-

666tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Golden Globes (January 6, 2019) Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

via Darren Criss Army:

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkzi4e7TyI1ubd9qxo1_540
“This handsome fella, with a killer smile & an enormous talent. My brother, Our pride. I love you Darren • Este guapetón, con una sonrisa asesina y un enorme talento. Mi hermano, Nuestro orgullo. Te amo Darren #goldenglobes

~ Edgar via IG

Since I'm not able to visit the URL sites of tumblr blogs, I'm having a hard figuring out how to post videos by logging into Tumblr (most of the non-YouTube videos are not working for me).  So excuse me if I omit videos. :apology

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_inline_pkyy4fPzuk1tz53qh_540
Darren’s parents and friends celebrating his Golden Globe win, via ACS assistant producer Sara Stelwagen https://www.instagram.com/p/BsUUvscHM_p/

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet. 

‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace’ - Golden Globes - Full Backstage Interview (Darren at 3:50)

Source: youtube.com

YouTube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=U0XmjYSo0L4

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkydx5xUHG1ubd9qxo1_540

Source

Spoiler:

Via acsversace-news:

Spoiler:

codyfernsource
A higher quality video of the ACS Versace cast interview at the Golden Globes

Edgar showing his commitment to doing what's right.  Love him for that.
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkzhgd5CkP1wcyxsbo2_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkzhgd5CkP1wcyxsbo1_540
Source | 7 January 2019

Nice pic of Jon Jon:
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkzgk2ZnzT1wcyxsbo1_540
jonjonbriones: And a huge thank you to @theolivertolentino for the amazing tux he made for me so I can look presentable at the @goldenglobes  It’s hard to make me look good but he’s amazing at doing that!

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pkzgfgK5NP1wcyxsbo1_540
mattbomer: Congratulations to the incredible cast and crew of @americancrimestoryfx #Versace on the well deserved @goldenglobes win last night! And a huge thank you to @mrrpmurphy for giving me my first opportunity to direct on the show. You give so much to so many people and I’m grateful to call you my friend. Big congratulations to all the nominees and winners! @mrrpmurphy #tomrobsmith @darrencriss @edgarramirez25 @penelopecruzoficial @ricky_martin @codyfern @danminahan @jonjonbriones @finnwittrock @judithlight @loueyrich #bradsimpdon #ninajacobson #alexiswoodall #chipvucelich #erickovtun @fxnetworks

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

On "The View", they have briefly mentioned Darren and other "Ryan Murphy actors". 

668tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Golden Globes (January 6, 2019) Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for sharing, Jeremy.  I do really like Darren's jacket.  When I saw close-ups of the tuxedo, it was even more lovely than I had thought.

Via Darren Criss Army:

Well done, Darren.  A generous and gracious statement.
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl0wf9eSLC1ubd9qxo1_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl0wf9eSLC1ubd9qxo2_1280
@DarrenCriss Every single person in this photo, along with the countless, not pictured women and men who worked tirelessly with them to make our series come to life (you know who you are!) - you lifted me up to bring me to Sunday night. I share this acknowledgement with all of you.

Via acsversace-news:

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl17pdN7Di1sxu8on_1280
ricky_martin We celebrate you @darrencriss. So happy for you brotha!!! More to come!!!

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl1bfcWdML1wcyxsbo1_540
ruben__madera: A well deserved congratulations to @darrencriss for being the first Filipino-American to win a Golden Globe as a lead actor. A special nod to Pinoy California for including me in your article on Filipino talent at this year’s Golden Globes (link to article in comments). Coming to Netflix January 17th. So proud on you Darren! #darrencriss #rubenmadera #actor#actorslife #goldenglobes #filipino #pinoy#netflix #acsversace #fx #pinoypride

link

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl0e5cu9VQ1sxu8on_500
yongchavezla: First interviewed #DarrenCriss at his Roxy show so many years ago when he was still new in Glee. Even back then we talked about his Pinay mom. To see him get this tonight is so special.  @DarrenCriss

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Nominees for Art Directors Guild Awards and American Cinema Editors

Nominees for American Cinema Editors
American Cinema Editors wrote:
ACE 69TH ANNUAL EDDIE AWARD NOMINEES

BEST EDITED LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE FOR TELEVISION:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story: “A Random Killing”
Emily Greene

Escape at Dannemora: “Episode Seven”
Malcolm Jamieson & Geoffrey Richman ACE

Sharp Objects: “Milk”
Véronique Barbe, Dominique Champagne, Justin Lachance, Maxime Lahaie, Émile Vallée & Jai M. Vee
source:  https://americancinemaeditors.org/eddie-awards/eddie-nominees/

Variety wrote:
‘Buster Scruggs,’ ‘Black Panther,’ ‘Haunting of Hill House’ Nominated for Art Directors Guild Awards

January 7, 2019

The Art Directors Guild (ADG, IATSE Local 800) has announced nominees for excellence in production design in feature film and television for 2018.

Television Movie or Miniseries

“The Alienist” – “The Boy on the Bridge” (Mara LePere-Schloop)
“American Horror Story: Apocalypse” – “Fire and Reign” (Valdar Wilt)
“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (Judy Becker)
“Maniac” (Alex Digerlando)
“Sharp Objects” (John Paino)
source:  https://variety.com/2019/film/news/art-directors-guild-awards-nominations-2019-1203100423/

-

670tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Cinema Audio Society Nominations Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Cinema Audio Society Nominations

Cinema Audio Society wrote:
CINEMA AUDIO SOCIETY NOMINATIONS FOR THE 55th ANNUAL CAS AWARDS FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING FOR 2018

January 8, 2019

TELEVISION MOVIE or LIMITED SERIES

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace (Part 1) The Man Who Would Be Vogue

Production Mixer – John Bauman, CAS
Re-recording Mixer – Joe Earle, CAS
Re-recording Mixer – Doug Andham, CAS
ADR Mixer – Judah Getz, CAS
Foley Mixer – Arno Stephanian

Escape at Dannemore: Episode 101

Fahrenheit 451

Genius: Picasso “Chapter 1”

The Romanoffs: House of Special Purpose
source:  http://cinemaaudiosociety.org/cinema-audio-society-nominations-for-the-55th-annual-cas-awards-for-outstanding-achievement-in-sound-mixing-for-2018/

-

671tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Golden Globe Awards (Janaury 6, 2019) Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Golden Globe Awards (Janaury 6, 2019)

Via Darren Criss Army:

Getting Ready for the Golden Globes - Darren Criss

Source: facebook.com

via acsversace-news:

Spoiler:

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl2yajIxgH1v3daoq_540
jenyamato: Here’s Darren Criss at the Fox party watching himself win the Golden Globe he’s holding in his hand #globeception

Source: twitter.com

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl1bfcWdML1wcyxsbo1_540
ruben__madera: A well deserved congratulations to @darrencriss for being the first Filipino-American to win a Golden Globe as a lead actor. A special nod to Pinoy California for including me in your article on Filipino talent at this year’s Golden Globes (link to article in comments). Coming to Netflix January 17th. So proud on you Darren! #darrencriss #rubenmadera #actor#actorslife #goldenglobes #filipino #pinoy#netflix #acsversace #fx #pinoypride

link

GMA News Online wrote:
Golden Globes 2019: A night of firsts

January 9, 2019

Beverly Hills — It was a night of firsts at the recently held 76th Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton.

Darren Criss, 31, who bagged the Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for portraying serial killer Andrew Cunanan in Ryan Murphy’s “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” became the first Filipino-American to win a Golden Globe in this category.

Everybody was moved when Darren thanked his mom: “As we’ve seen, this has been a marvelous year for representation in Hollywood, and I am so enormously proud to be a teeny tiny part of that as the son of a firecracker Filipina woman from Cebu who dreamed of coming to this country and getting to be invited to cool parties like this. So, mom, I know you’re watching this. You are hugely responsible for most of the good things in my life. I love you dearly. I dedicate this to you.”
Source:  https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/showbiz/showbizabroad/680861/golden-globes-2019-a-night-of-firsts/story/

via d-criss-news

LA Times predicts Darren will win the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Award for "Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series."   Tough competition again.  This time, there also is Sir Anthony Hopkins!
LA Times wrote:
SAG Awards predictions: A 'Black Panther' cast win will shift the Oscar best picture race

MALE ACTOR IN A TELEVISION MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES

The nominees: Antonio Banderas, “Genius: Picasso”; Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”; Hugh Grant, “A Very English Scandal”; Anthony Hopkins, “King Lear”; Bill Pullman, “The Sinner”

And the winner is: Probably Emmy-winner Criss, both for the work and the simple fact that it is easily the most-seen performance.
Source:  https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-mn-gold-standard-sag-awards-predictions-20190110-story.html

via d-criss-news:

Darren met a lot of famous actors and folks on the night of the Golden Globes!  Shown:  
Mark Ronson, Christian Bale, Rami Malek, Haim and Mia, Our Lady J, Nick Kroll, Richard Kind, Peter Farrelly,  Bill Murray, Patricia Clarkson, and Carl Lewis.

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6nkn7rfm1v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6nkmfQuO1v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6nkoKrO61v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6nkm3wkJ1v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6oo4xERf1v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6oo66PEp1v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6oo5iaqd1v3daoq_1280

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6rgw0LZC1v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6rgxj7lE1v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl6rgvGw8n1v3daoq_540
Via Darren’s Instagram Story (January 11th, 2019)

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pl5gpvsGfU1v3daoq_540
louisbmiddleton: Capturing a very cool moment between friends @taron.egerton @darrencriss.  music note #music #love

Spoiler:

-

672tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Critics' Choice Awards January 13, 2019 Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Critics' Choice Awards January 13, 2019

Congrats to Darren for winning in the category of "Best Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series,"  and to the cast and crew for The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story winning for Best Limited Series! 

via d-criss-news:

Spoiler:

Via Darren Criss Army:

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plb1gwW3yT1ubd9qxo2_640

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plb1gwW3yT1ubd9qxo1_640
Fil-Am photographer Sthanlee Mirador congratulates Darren and the #ACSVersace cast on their Critics’ Choice Awards.

Via Sthanlee’s IG stories

Spoiler:

This is the only video on YouTube of Darren accepting the Critics Choice Award.  (Unfortunately, the very last part is cut off.)

Paul Wence

YouTube Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQcCapUsWis

-

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Another award !  celebrate

I think Darren was already familiar with Lady Gaga. After all, she ran the hotel where he got murdered :amused

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

That's right--both were on AHS.   Thanks Jeremy.  :happy face

675tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Empty Critics' Choice Awards January 13, 2019 Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Critics' Choice Awards January 13, 2019

Sorry that I didn't post yesterday.  A water pipe had a leak under my house.  Luckily, my house is on a raised foundation, but still, this is a headache.  Hopefully, there is no damage to the foundation.  Cross fingers.

Via acsversace-news:

Gold Derby wrote:
Darren Criss, Rachel Brosnahan on a roll after winning Emmys, Golden Globes and Critics’ Choice Awards

January 16, 2019

Just about everyone in Hollywood knows how hard it is to win an award. Winning three [awards] for one performance is another thing altogether. That’s what Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”) and Darren Criss (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”) just experienced after adding a Critics’ Choice Award to their respective mantles last weekend, following victories at the Emmys and Golden Globes.

Unlike with film awards, we don’t often see full sweeps on the TV side. Only five actors have pulled off a total sweep of the major TV prizes (Emmy, Golden Globe, Critics’ Choice Award, Screen Actors Guild Award and Television Critics’ Association Award): Bryan Cranston for “Breaking Bad,” Claire Danes for “Homeland,” Tina Fey for “30 Rock,” Julianna Margulies for “The Good Wife” and Sarah Paulson for “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.” For Brosnahan and Criss to win three major awards within four months of each other is a huge accomplishment, speaking to how their performances have connected with critics and the industry alike.

[ . . . ]

Brosnahan and Criss are also up for Screen Actors Guild Awards on January 27, where they clearly have a strong chance of extending their winning streaks. Criss won’t be able to sweep all five television awards considering he already lost the TCA Award last year, and “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is a limited series so he wouldn’t have the opportunity to win it for a future season.
source:  https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/darren-criss-rachel-brosnahan-emmys-golden-globes-critics-choice-awards-news/

via d-criss-news

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pledu2fJQZ1v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pledu1RWsr1v3daoq_540

Writers Guild of America nominations for Tom Rob smith and Maureen Orth.  :happy face

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_ple95ciVb51wcyxsbo2_540
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_ple95ciVb51wcyxsbo1_540
Source | 15 January 2019

I missed seeing Jon Jon at the Critics' Choice Awards.  Love what Judith said to Jon Jon heart
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plce9gVWEd1wcyxsbo1_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plce9gVWEd1wcyxsbo3_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plce9gVWEd1wcyxsbo2_540
Source | 14 January 2019

Zedrick is the biggest fan of ACS Versace.  Wishing him the best in his career as an actor.

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plbnfeOw8D1wcyxsbo1_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plbnfeOw8D1wcyxsbo2_540

Source 1, 2

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plb6srOgZS1v3daoq_540
jonjonbriones: Congratulations again to our @americancrimestoryfx Versace family for Actor @darrencriss and limited series awards at the @criticschoice tonight! YAY! @finnwittrock @judithlight @codyfern @crashbpm Alexis Martin Woodall @darrencriss @danminahan Tom Rob Smith @edgarramirez25 @ricky_martin You guys look beautiful!!!

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plav6smqlK1wcyxsbo1_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plav6smqlK1wcyxsbo2_540
Source

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plashiO3It1v3daoq_540
ACSFX: An unforgettable performance. Congratulations @DarrenCriss on your Critics Choice Award for Best Actor in a Limited Series. #CriticsChoice #ACSVersace

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plav4m4np71wcyxsbo1_540
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plav4m4np71wcyxsbo2_540
Source

d-criss-news
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plasdfta0T1v3daoq_540
CriticsChoice: .@DarrenCriss better get a bigger trophy case as he wins Best Actor in a Limited Series or Movie Made for Television tonight. #CriticsChoice #CWCriticsChoice #ACSVersace

Via Darren Criss Army:

Spoiler:

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'll post more tomorrow.

Via d-criss-news:

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plhnbq4GxF1v3daoq_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plhnkjrju21v3daoq_540

Via Darren Criss Army:

Darren Criss Army wrote:Happy Anniversary to ACS Versace!

Yes, it’s actually been a full year since the show premiered in the US & Canada! Can you believe it?

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_inline_plgxcvE1Mv1tz53qh_540

And now it is also available on Netflix!

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_inline_plgxchAXgb1tz53qh_540

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_pled12YuSr1tz53qh_540
darrencriss Thank you for having me, @CriticsChoice. I just feel so lucky to have even been part of a project that was worth your time and attention!

Via acsversace-news:

Backstage wrote:

Your 2019 SAG Voters’ Guide: The TV Nominees

January 17, 2019

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A FEMALE ACTOR IN A TELEVISION MOVIE OR MINISERIES

Penélope Cruz, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Entrances don’t get more fabulous than the one Cruz’s Donatella Versace makes in this show’s first episode. Clad in black, emerging from a private jet, and projecting an icy grimness that feels distinctly Italian, the legendary designer strolls into the aftermath of her brother’s assassination and Cruz proceeds to steal the show. The actor proved again why she’s an icon on camera—is it too much to hope she comes back to TV?

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A TELEVISION MOVIE OR MINISERIES

Darren Criss, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Together with creator Ryan Murphy, the Emmy-winning Criss
created one of the most complex, compelling gay characters ever on TV in the second outing of “American Crime Story.” This season zeroed in not on Versace, but on his killer, Andrew Cunanan: a sociopathic monster, yes, but one born of an internalized homophobia that we, as an audience watching his intricate devolution, are tempted to blame on the world around him.
source:  https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/2019-sag-voters-guide-tv-nominees-66760/?utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1547740721

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

The Producers Guild Awards was today (Saturday).  Congrats to Ryan and the other producers of ACS Versace!
tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plm66hqo0g1wcyxsbo1_540
Source

Gold Derby wrote:
PGA Awards predictions: Best Limited Series will be a cakewalk for ‘Versace’

January 18, 2019

Versace,”  . . .  has swept the limited series/TV movie prizes so far, claiming the Emmy, Golden Globe and Critics’ Choice Award. A victory would also make the “American Crime Story” anthology series the second program with multiple wins in the category, following its FX brethren “Fargo” (2015-16); “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story” similarly dominated the season two years ago.
source:  https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/2019-pga-awards-predictions-the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-limited-series-winner/

ACS Versace is now on Netflix! 

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plk2myWSHb1wcyxsbo1_540
Source

Decider wrote:
‘The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story’ Is Now on Netflix

Jan. 18, 2019

Netflix has just landed one of the most critically praised dramas of last year. The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, Ryan Murphy’s ode to the notorious fashion designer who was murdered far too soon, is now streaming.

[ . . . ]

. . . The series aptly side-steps any simple characterizations or cheap plot twists when it comes to this layered story. Every moment, from when Andrew Cunanan first pulls the trigger on the legendary Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramírez), to nine episodes later when he turns the gun on himself, is treated with solemnity. Under Murphy and his executive production team of Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk, Scott Alexander, and Larry Karaszewski, the series somberly depicts the poisons of systematic homophobia. The true horror and sorrow of this series don’t have anything to do with its unhinged killer. It comes from the fact that Andrew Cunanan and the crimes he committed were entirely stoppable, yet no one was paying attention to the community that needed help the most.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace
is indisputably one of the most powerful, emotional, and gorgeous projects Murphy and his team have ever produced. And since it’s already won 20 awards to date including seven Emmys and two Golden Globes, it’s a series that absolutely needs to be your weekend binge. Throw it on and get ready for Finn Wittrock to break your heart.
source:  https://decider.com/2019/01/18/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-netflix-2/

Very nice article about Ryan's career.  :happy face
Decider wrote:
Why 2018 Felt Like the Closing of a Chapter for Ryan Murphy

January 17, 2019

2018 was, by all measures, a huge year for TV producer Ryan Murphy. Creatively, he reached some of his peaks, with American Crime Story‘s season on the death of Gianni Versace producing some of the best, most affecting work of his TV career; with Pose breaking all kinds of ground for trans representation on TV, and with a most unlikely hit in 9-1-1 on FOX. But it was behind the scenes where Murphy made his biggest headlines. In February, Murphy inked a five-year deal with Netflix that was reportedly worth upwards of $300 million, the priciest deal in TV history. The deal enhanced Netflix’s reputation — with Murphy and Shonda Rhimes in their stable, Netflix has essentially locked up the two most influential TV creators of the current era — while also setting Murphy’s reputation at the very top of the mountain.

Murphy’s Netflix era hasn’t begun to bear fruit yet — though he’s announced projects The Politician (starring Brad Pitt and co-created with his Glee cohorts Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan) and Ratched (a villain-centric remake of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) — but what we did get were three Murphy-produced seasons on FX last year that, when seen as a whole, served as a perfect swan song to the years he’s spent with the network, starting with Nip/Tuck premiered in 2003. Starting with The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, continuing with Pose over the summer, and concluding with the 8th season of American Horror Story, subtitled “Apocalypse,” this trio of shows might have been the perfect way for Murphy to go out with a bang.

With The Assassination of Gianni Versace, Murphy may well have reached his creative peak. This limited series had almost everything Murphy’s work has been circling around all this time: an obsession with fame and glamour, stomach-turning violence, and a surprising resonance about the role that anti-gay prejudice plays (and played) in America. With a structure (so often Murphy’s bugaboo) provided by screenwriter Tom Rob Smith, Versace was able to move back in time from Andrew Cunanan killing Versace through a parallel examination of their lives and how a society steeped in institutional homophobia set them both on a collision course towards each other.

Versace alone could have been Murphy’s mic-drop at FX, leaving on the highest of high notes (Versace went on to win Emmy and Golden Globe Awards). But in June came one of his most daring shows to date. Pose looked back to the lives and experiences of the queer — and mostly queer people of color — community in New York City in the mid-’80s, and in particular the house balls that influenced everybody from RuPaul to Madonna. In producing the series, and using his clout to make sure that the cast would include queer and trans performers, Murphy used his fame and fortune in order to better his community and the greater LGBTQ+ community. And in co-producing the series with creator Steven Canals, Murphy put some power into the hands of a talent who needed a boost, putting the reins of this newly buzzy show in the hands of the man who pitched it to him in the first place.

But that sense of completion for Ryan Murphy wasn’t truly present until American Horror Story aired its 8th season and, in a surprise twist, it turned into a continuation of season 3’s wildly popular “Coven” storyline. Even better, Murphy wrote in an episode-long revisiting of season 1’s “Murder House” (complete with Jessica Lange reprising her Emmy-winning role as Constance Langdon). Apocalypse was a wild and crazy gift to the fans who were there for Murder House and Coven, back when American Horror Story was a daring cable-TV experiment, not a television institution. Not only did the season have a reunion vibe, but the greater storyline was about the actual end of the world. There were themes on themes, just waiting for Murphy to announce that he was stepping away from his FX projects.

Except … he didn’t. Because he’s not. Not yet, anyway. The Netflix series are beginning production, but we’re also in for at least two more American Horror Story seasons, and Pose is gearing up for their second season as well. And thus far, Ryan Murphy has shown no interest in leaving either show (nor the currently-dormant-but-could-revive-at-any-time American Crime Story and Feud series). Does this mean Murphy is setting himself up to be spread incredibly thin between two platforms and at least five shows? Or is he just the most productive television professional working today? It’s important to note that Murphy has never worked alone. He partnered with Falchuk and Brennan on Glee, with Falchuk and Tim Minear on American Horror Story, with Falchuk and Canals on Pose, and with Minear again on 9-1-1. American Crime Story has been a co-production with Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, with each season featuring its own head writers (Tom Rob Smith on Versace; Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski on O.J. Simpson). If any TV empire is situated to stay standing after its top dog walks away, it’s Murphy’s.

Either way, the future for Ryan Murphy is Netflix, not FX. And if you’re looking for a year that put a fitting capper on his FX past, it was 2018.
Source:  https://decider.com/2019/01/17/2018-felt-like-ryan-murphy-fx-swan-song/

One year ago "the Man Who Would Be Vogue aired

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_inline_pli8ycsXy01tm4ybd_540
The murder of Gianni Versace turns the eyes of the world onto Miami Beach.

Listen to Vanity Fair’s “Still Watching: Versace” review of episode 1 along with an interview with Ricky Martin

Reviews
The Daily Beast wrote:A hypnotizing, wordless first act, backed by a rousing string-heavy score, gives a Shakespearean start to the whole endeavor, echoed, of course, in the horror of the murder by gunshot that left Versace bleeding to death at the front gate of his home in 1997. - The Daily Beast

https://www.thedailybeast.com/versace-american-crime-story-will-actually-be-about-being-gay-in-the-90s
TV Guide wrote:Murphy delights in showing monsters up close, as he does in American Horror Story, but he’s most poignant when he probes how real-life monsters became that way. The Assassination of Gianni Versace allows Murphy to do what he does best: make viewers understand — but not empathize — with the devil. And only Murphy could achieve the delicate balance of vilifying a person without vilifying an entire culture — exactly what kept the case from having the same kind of cultural impact that O.J. had. That long overdue impact can now finally occur in Murphy’s dramatic retelling. - TV Guide

Source:  https://www.tvguide.com/news/assassination-of-gianni-versace-fx/
Garage wrote:Ryan Murphy’s latest season of his pop procedural anthology, American Crime Story, covers the 1997 shooting of Versace in nine fifty-minute episodes; and yet so un-boring is the pilot that we see the murder seven minutes in. The twinky killer, Andrew Cunanan, is a fantasist played with a cold and twitchily unreal demeanor by the android-perfect Darren Criss. Introduced as an unreliable narrator, then a Ripley-esque savant at social climbing, he creates two big impressions: one in a scene that shows him covering his mouth in a pantomime of horror when he’s really smiling, and another that’s a bona fide showcase for his ass. He’s closeted around his straight friends, gay around his gay friends, and completely unashamed to say out loud that his objective is to “tell people whatever they need to hear”—a primo marker for a sociopath.  - Garage

https://garage.vice.com/en_us/article/wjpan5/american-crime-story-versace-dove
Yahoo wrote:“The Man Who Would Be Vogue” was quite simply one of the best first-episodes of a show I’ve seen in a while. Relying on sweeping visuals over dialogue, and allowing gaudiness to exist beside sincerity, it gripped me right away. While we know this is not a happy story and it doesn’t end particularly well, it does feel as important and timely as ever, much like its predecessor The People v. O.J. Simpson. It remains to be seen whether this season will catch on with viewers and critics like that one did, but either way it’s hard not to be grateful for something this special. - Yahoo

Source:  https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entertainment/assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-premiere-recap-doves-die-041433102.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=tw&__twitter_impression=true
Horror News Network wrote:
The performers of The Assassination of Gianni Versace are all acting at the top of their game. Just like how The People v. O.J. showed us actors and actresses in a new and interesting light, Assassination captures the spirit of Versace’s loving sister and business partner, Donatella, through a strong performance by Penelope Cruz. Musician Ricky Martin acted in Argentinian television programs at the start of his career, and his appearance in Assassination is enough to make you think he never left the craft. Darren Criss is versatile in his intense portrayal of serial killer Andrew Cunanan. The first episode shifts between a couple of different moments in time, and Criss’ Cunanan is sometimes enigmatic, sometimes detestable, and always engaging. In one moment he shares with Ramirez’ Versace, I could have sworn he was channeling Christian Bale’s portrayal of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. And that’s one of the major things that sets Assassination apart from O.J.: it’s clear that Assassination will be spending much more time inside of the suspect’s head. In O.J. there were so many fascinating characters and so many unusual things going on that we often only viewed Cuba Gooding Jr.’s O.J. from other characters’ perspectives. Trust me: Assassination is not lacking in fascinating characters, but it does seem to be taking much more time to dwell on the actions of Cunanan than O.J. ever did with, well, O.J.  - Horror News Network

Source:  https://www.horrornewsnetwork.net/assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-episode-1-review/
Den of Geek wrote:Penelope Cruz, who is apparently a friend of Donatella’s and has her blessing, has a tall order to serve. First, the voice. Anyone who knows anything about Donatella Versace knows that her distinct looks comes with an equally distinct accent. Cruz has to play it believably, without dipping into caricature or being so true to life that the audience can’t understand her. Second, she finds herself playing the day to day villain for much of this. She’s the one who dislikes the boyfriend that we’ve all fallen in love with after the cops are so rude to him. She’s the one who cancels the IPO. She’s the one with a sizeable reputation preceding her. And yet, Cruz’s Donatella comes across as powerful, stricken, at a lost, and completely unwilling to lose an inch of her brother’s legacy. - Den of Geek

Source:  https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/american-crime-story/270314/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-episode-1-review-the-man-who-would-be-vogue
Vulture wrote:Seriously, though, this first episode of Versace is absolutely gorgeous. Just think about all of the lush images that pop out of the screen like an IMAX version of a Vogue issue. There’s the elegant pool of the opera singer’s sequin dress as she belts on stage. There’s Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramírez), delicately sipping his espresso from a black gilded cup, shot from above so his breakfast table is just off center of the Medusa logo that he made famous. There’s the hollow chime of crystal champagne flutes clinking together on the set at the opera. There’s Gianni’s sister Donatella (Penélope Cruz), with that famous platinum hair and doorknocker of a nose standing at the top of a little portico. And let us not forget that perfect peach emoji of an ass as Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss) strides into his roommate’s husband’s closet to steal a suit. - Vulture

Source:  https://www.vulture.com/2018/01/american-crime-story-versace-recap-episode-1.html
Telegraph UK wrote:Season two, by contrast, packs a gilded punch. The first episode bounces between the slaying of Versace to his first encounter, in a San Fransisco gay club, with Cunanan. The future killer is a Walter Mitty-like social climber whose life is wallpapered with so many habitual lies it’s unclear whether even he knows truth from fiction. Preppy of manner and soulless of gaze, he gives Murphy something the Simpson case lacked – an unambiguous villain scary even when he isn’t shooting dead international fashion designers.  - Telegraph UK

Source:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/assassination-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-episode-1/
Decider wrote:But there’s pain in Andrew, too. Recall how he screams into the ocean water during his pre-slaying swim, how he vomits into a public toilet as he works up the nerve to pull the trigger. When he bullshits his way into Versace’s presence and winds up attending the opera for which he’s the costume designer, the music moves him to tears. After the show, he clearly wants to believe all the kind, supportive things Gianni is saying about him as they hang out on stage together. (And there’s every reason to believe Gianni means every word, him being such a mensch.) Andrew sucks people in with lies and sucks life out of his resulting proximity to wealth, glamour, sex, and power to fill a hole in his heart, yes, but his heart really does exist. He’s a vacuum, not a void. It’s a subtle distinction, but so far it seems to be a crucial one.  - Decider

Source:  https://decider.com/2018/01/17/the-assassination-of-gianni-versace-american-crime-story-episode-1-recap/
Paste Magazine wrote:It is, rather, a bold, ambitious, riveting wrestling match between cultural shame and communal pride, in which glittering wedding gowns and glossy magazines, club hits and tank tops, are emblems for which we choose the meaning, just as we might choose to adopt as our own that unutterable word, that unforgivable commonplace, that useful descriptor—that reclamation. As the designer says of the “Versace bride,” preparing for a fashion show, “She won’t be dainty. She won’t be timid. She will be proud and strong.” I realize now, upon finishing what may be Murphy’s riskiest and most radiant gambit to date, that as I grow older, and more comfortable in my own skin, I’m not only able to hear the sentiment, but also to identify with it.  - Paste Magazine (warning for slurs)

Source:  https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/01/american-crime-story-assassination-of-gianni-versa.html

Other Links wrote:
Ricky Martin on ACS: Versace, Coming Out, and ‘Normalizing’ Open Relationships

Yahoo Entertainment’s meme recap

ACS Versace Soundtrack and Score Spotify Playlist

Fandom score: 9.255

Episode rank: #5

Behind the Scenes

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Via acsversace-news:

I'm so glad to hear Ryan wishes to continue to work with Jon Jon!  So happy for Jon Jon!  What a great opportunity!  I'm also happy for Finn Wittrock!  I wonder if Darren and Cody later will be announced as connected to Ratched?
GMA News wrote:
Sarah Paulson talks about Jon Jon Briones in Ryan Murphy's next project 'Ratched'

January 21, 2019

After the euphoria that happened after the Golden Globe win of Darren Criss, we have another piece of good new: Filipino actor Jon Jon Briones, who played Modesto Cunanan, (the father of Andrew Cunanan in “The Assassination of Gianni Versace”) is now lined up to do another Ryan Murphy potential goldmine, “Ratched.”

After Ryan Murphy’s multi-awarded TV mini series, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” he is now in pre-production for “Ratched,” a prequel to the film “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” (1975). Jon Jon is set to play Dr. Richard Hanover.

Beginning in 1947, it follows Nurse Ratched’s journey and evolution from nurse to full-fledged monster (portrayed by Sarah Paulson) and track her murderous progression through the mental health care system.

Ordered straight to series, Netflix has two seasons with a total of 18 episodes lined up for "Ratched." Created by Evan Romansky, the drama is produced by Ryan, Michael Douglas, and Sarah Paulson among others.

Joining Sarah and Jon Jon, are Sharon Stone, Cynthia Nixon, Finn Wittrock, Charlie Carver, Judy Davis, Harriet Sansom Harris, Hunter Parrish, Amanda Plummer, Corey Stoll.

Ryan announced the line up on his Instagram post, adding “Ratched on Netflix starts shooting in a couple of weeks. On behalf of myself and Ms. Sarah Catherine Paulson who plays the title role and is also a big fancy producer on it, we are thrilled to announce our amazing cast…a true murderers’ row of talent. So many of these actors are supremely talented folks who Sarah and I have both longed to work with…More to come, but come on…Sarah, Cynthia, Judy, Amanda and Sharon, all doing scenes together? I cannot WAIT.”

We were lucky to get to talk to Sarah in New York about “Ratched”, Ryan Murphy and working with Jon Jon.

Below are excerpts of our conversation with her:

On working with Jon Jon Briones: 

I shot “American Horror Story” last year with Jon Jon Briones, which was a real highlight. He’s an extraordinary actor. I thought he was so incredible in “Versace” and, obviously, Ryan did too, that’s why he has wanted to work with him again and again.

We start shooting "Ratched," I believe, on February 6th. I don’t have a schedule so I don’t know when I will be reunited with him but I think he’s a real find. Ryan has such a wonderful (knack) for those kinds of things, he just finds somebody really special who has been working in the theater and in the New York stage and television for many years, but tapped him and now we have him in our wonderful fold of actors. I feel very lucky.
source:  https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/showbiz/showbizabroad/682174/sarah-paulson-talks-about-jon-jon-briones-in-ryan-murphy-s-next-project-ratched/story/

tobitalks - The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story - Page 34 Tumblr_plnhl82o4k1wcyxsbo1_540

Link to Amazon

-

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I have the feeling it would have already been announced if they were part of the cast, although I also feel Darren hides something related to Ryan and Netflix.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I thought the same, Jeremy, that if Darren and Cody were connected to Ratched, that they would have been announced already.  (And I agree Darren is very secretive about future projects, including projects with Ryan and/or maybe Netflix!)  Darren also seems to like to wait for announcements about his future projects.  I'm wondering if he's waiting until the awards season is over, so that the focus will continue to be on ACS Versace?  But who knows? confused   And when will we find out what Darren's next project will be since Ryan's instagram photo/message hinted he (Ryan) has something planned for Darren, Finn and Cody??   waiting

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum