Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band)

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Eek this is so exciting! clapping hands

I loved that little snippet. Very 80s in the beginning, then it sounded like an upbeat Bruno Mars song when all the brass instruments kicked at the end. Very promising, looking forward to the full song. And we're getting an EP, woohoo!!

Poppy, it could be that he was going to play some new songs at that gig, but then went back on it. Maybe he didn't feel ready? I do find it strange that the venue would get something like this wrong.

Love how they did that little treasure hunt for the fans. Nice bit of marketing there. Darren really does seem clued up about social media.

This is all very exciting indeed! We have several things to look forward to now. oh yeah dance!

Btw, do I spot a rosemary twig tattoo on Chuck's arm? Isn't his daughter called Rosemary? Cute.
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omecv9PwAc1tpkj9wo1_1280

DaisiesAndLilies wrote:Aubrey (@imchrisdaily on Twitter) won one of these Google Hangouts.

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_ombo27bZsV1uetdyxo1_1280

Soooo…. [see-no-evil monkey emoji] [goofy emoji] Thanks @DarrenCriss and @Chuck_Criss for talking to us! Made my entire life pretty much. @weplaycomputers

She added this, about why Darren hasn't done much music since the Listen Up tour:

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 06rp35k

X

It makes sense what he's saying about wanting to start afresh. It's a shame for us those songs will be locked away, but sometimes it's just more fruitful starting anew then going back over the same old.

I'm really excited he's doing something with Chuck. I remember thinking when the Freelance Whales split up that maybe Chuck will now do something with his little bro. :laughing

I'm trying to be good and wait until the full versions of the songs are out, but I'm impatient!

Someone transcribed what might be the tracklist:

1. We like it
2. Every single night
3. Lost boys life
4. Lost boys life – Darren playing it on the piano

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Eek, in my excitement, I lost my post twice!

Oh my goober!   They released their music!!!!   I'm so happy for them!    They need to create a new punctuation mark because the exclamation point just doesn't express my enthusiasm!!!  

From dailydarrenenws:

I really love this song, a sweet and earnest love song.

Computer Games - Lost Boys Life

Fun song, full of great energy:

Computer Games - We Like It

Upbeat song to dance to and sing along:

Computer Games - Every Single Night

Aw, this really got me choked up with emotion.  Darren, you wrote your fans another heartfelt letter, thanking us for supporting you?   You are just one-of-a-kind.   I have said this over the years, and I mean it more than ever, you are always worth the wait, for every project that comes along.   Speaking for myself, and I know so many people feel the same, I will always be your fan, and will always be following your career, as you share with us your inspiring talent.  You're so special to us.  We just heart the heck out of you. 
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omibvetZ3k1uetdyxo1_1280
via Darren’s newsletter
dailydarrennews

If you can afford it, please buy their EP or singles, to show your support of Darren and Chuck.

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omibmxZEt81uetdyxo2_500
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omibmxZEt81uetdyxo1_500

Buy on iTunes ($3.99 for EP, $1.29 per song) - US link
Stream on Spotify
Watch on YouTube

You may also buy their special shirts, which comes with a CD!!!  If your budget allows, please show your support.  :happy face
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omibpdGIAM1uetdyxo1_1280

Get your shirt + CD on represent here.

This is how I am feeling right now.  Just feeling so grateful for Darren and Chuck's music. 

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_m8xlvc0OhU1r1qbhy
Adorkabledarrencriss

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_nd6lie1N4e1spter7o1_250
Wifflegif

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_m6pjxxqrLS1r1qbhy
Adokabledarrencriss

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_n6y0179MvB1tsgs4xo1_500
Wifflegif

My emotions are running just a tad high:
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_m5y1pcvM7N1r1qbhy
Adorkabledarerrencriss

I'm just so happy for Darren and Chuck and for us, their fans!  I don't know what to do with myself!
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_mm2srqsjyu1qln00mo1_500
Wifflegif

"Lost Boys Life" made me feel emotional.  I felt choked up.  I actually teared up.  Such a wonderful song.  Love, love it! 
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_mk82zaw2Ms1rcwtibo1_250
X

"We Like It" makes me feel so full of positive energy, such a fun, bouyant song!
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_lqiorlnfPC1qed0ol
X

"Every Single Night" made me feel like dancing and singing at the top of my lungs:
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_mgrrsbBO2H1qght87o8_r1_250
X

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Refinery29 wrote:
Darren Criss Just Shared Some Major news with Us

March 8, 2017

If you try to name everything Darren Criss has been a part of since he burst onto the scene with his role as Blaine in Glee, you’d run out of breath. He appeared in a Katy Perry music video, starred in two Broadway musicals, worked on American Crime Story, co-starred in the movie Girl Most Likely — and this doesn’t even touch on the work he did way back when, in A Very Potter Musical. Achieving all of this by age 30, you’d think he’d be ready to take a break. Instead, he’s launching a whole new project with his brother, Chuck Criss. It’s a band called Computer Games, and the two spoke to Refinery29 about their adventure.

“I’ve always wanted to start a band with my brother,” Darren Criss told us. “And life is too short, so I was like, ‘If I don’t do this now, I’ll just wonder what if.’”

While most of us know Darren from the stage and screen, we probably recognize Chuck from his time with the Freelance Whales. They have two albums, including the hit “Generator^First Floor,” and their music has appeared on shows like Grey’s Anatomy, One Tree Hill, and Roadies. Now, however, it’s all about Computer Games.

“I’ve been kind of laying low,” Chuck said. “I’ve had two kids. They keep me pretty busy. I’m excited to do the music thing again, but not just the music thing again, I get to do it with my brother.”

While this is the duo’s first professional project together, they’ve been collaborating and jamming together since they were kids — although none of it is on the internet.

“Thank god,” Darren exclaimed.

Their first release — a four-track EP that’s out now — is really just a way for them to test the waters before figuring out what’s next.

“The crowd will dictate what’s going to happen,” Darren said. “We’ll find out what people say.”

The friends who have listened to their music describe it as having a '80s vibe, which coincides with the time period Darren and Chuck were growing up together.

“It coincidentally is reminiscent of the sounds of the late '80s and early '90s, which is when we were little children. So that’s kind of a fun coincidence but it’s not necessarily the aim,” Darren explained. “There were certainly a lot of dance records from that time that our songs harken back to.”

When it comes to the prospect of a tour, the boys say that’s all up to the fans. Right now, they’re waiting to see what people think. They’ve released a lyric video for one of their songs, “Every Single Night,” and the rest of their music is available on places like iTunes, Spotify, and Apple Music now.

We went live with Darren and Chuck to chat about the new band, his relationship with music, and if we should expect A Very Potter Musical reunion.

-Refinery29

From DarrenCrissArmy:

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omijex7anp1ubd9qxo1_1280
How about an exclusive tee and CD bundle? (via darrencriss IG Stories)

https://represent.com/computergames
via DarrenCrissArmy

Interview at Refinery 29:

Computer Games FB Live Stream at Refinery29 3/8/17

(Source: facebook.com)
via DarrenCrissArmy

Chuck and Darren being goofballs on Computer Games IG Story 3/8/17 (Instagram.com/weplaycomputers)
via DarrenCrissArmy

Darren and Chuck promoting Computer Games’ Lost Boys Life EP on Teen Vogue’s IG Live 3/7/1
DarrenCrissArmy

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omhze5BlqO1ubd9qxo1_1280
Follow Computer Games on musical.ly! music note music note
via DarrenCrissArmy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty, DaisiesAndLilies, Lilikoiluv, Lin, Jeremy:

Does this mean that Darren and Chuck's Lost Boys Life EP is at Number 1 on the Alternative Albums on iTunes?!!
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omikb8N2EF1ubd9qxo1_1280

Lost Boys Life EP is at #1 on the iTunes alternative charts!
via DarrenCrissArmy

oh my gooober!!!! :bravo :very happy clapping hands celebration dance!

Jeremy, this calls for the dancing banana!!! Yea!

Soooooo, sooooo happy for Darren and Chuck!!!! celebrate bow to you

This is an interesting excerpt of the Teen Vogue IG, where Darren talks about each of the 3 songs:

Darren and Chuck promoting Computer Games’ Lost Boys Life EP on Teen Vogue’s IG Live 3/7/17 via  @Katie_Karvinen_
via DarrenCrissArmy

Teaser:  If you buy the EP (either the CD that comes with the shirt, or on itunes), you get an extra bonus!!!   You get another version of "Lost Boys Life."  You get Darren playing on the piano "Lost Boys Life."

Hypable wrote:
Update: Listen to Computer Games' EP, Lost boys Life, now!

Darren Criss and his brother Chuck Criss are now a band! Check out Computer Games’ debut EP, Lost Boys Life and listen now!

Update (March 8):
Listen to Darren and Chuck Criss’ new EP: Lost Boys Life. Their band, Computer Games, will perform their first live show tonight in NYC, but you don’t have to wait to hear the new jams!

During a Teen Vogue Instagram live session yesterday the brothers revealed the track listing and described that their process organically lent itself to the 80s dance-vibe of “Every Single Night.” As for the title of another track, “We Like It,” the Criss brothers describe it as an anthem for not explaining why you enjoy the things you do. You just… like it!

Check out Lost Boys Life on Spotify or download the entire EP on iTunes! Tracks include, “We Like It,” “Every Single Night,” “Lost Boys Life,” and “Lost Boys Life (voice memo).”
via DarrenCrissArmy

Link to Hypbable article:  http://www.hypable.com/darren-criss-new-music-band-chuck-criss/

haha.  So cute.

Via Computer Games’ IG Story 3/8/17 (Instagram.com/weplaycomputers)
via DarrenCrissArmy

From dailydarrennews:

Entertainment Weekly wrote:
Darren Criss and brother Chuck talk their groovy new music project, Computer Games

March 8, 2017

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Gettyimages-648391858

Darren and Chuck Criss are embracing ’80s and ’90s nostalgia with their new music project: The brothers released their first EP under the name Computer Games Wednesday.

Darren, who got his big break on Glee and can soon be seen on both American Crime Story and The Flash-Supergirl musical crossover episode, and Chuck, a member of band Freelance Whales, officially joined forces for the first time on the Lost Boys Life EP. The result? Four tracks that sound like a funky blast to the past in the spirit of some of the grooviest ’80s superstars like Lionel Richie, Miami Sound Machine, and Peter Gabriel.

Ahead of the EP’s release, EW caught up with the Criss brothers to talk band names, nostalgia, and sibling rivalries (or lack thereof). Read the interview and watch the lyric video for “Every Single Night” below.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So why call yourselves Computer Games?

DARREN CRISS: Chuck and I grew up playing computer games. We weren’t allowed to play video games, so for some reason, computer games were a loophole. Plus, I like the way that it sounds because it’s sort of an all-prevailing concept, where if people are listening to the music, they are playing computer games, just like we’re playing computer games the same way we played Oregon Trail or Sim City 2000 as kids. That’s the same creativity we’re applying to making music on ProTools or Ableton or Logic. Those are our games now, and the music that we make is literally computer games. So there’s that, but also, it happens that the music that we have is nostalgic and reminiscent of our adolescence.

CHUCK CRISS: It just sounds fun, and the way we interact on our phones, everything is a game now with your computer in certain ways, whether it’s dating or just keeping up with your aunt on Facebook.

I’m glad you hit on the nostalgia thing, because “Every Single Night” sounds to me like it could be a Lionel Richie song.

DARREN:
 That wasn’t the intention, but it certainly came out that way. The music has quite coincidentally ended up hearkening back to the sounds of the popular dance records of the time when we were young children, so late ’80s, early ’90s. That’s a nice coincidence, considering that the music is nostalgic thematically, and all the songs that we have are about growing up and, because we grew up in the era, it’s sort of appropriate.

What were your favorite computer games growing up, and what are they now?

CHUCK:
I loved Sim City 2000. I used to make cities and print them out, and I thought it was so fun. A lot of times I would just use cheat codes to make a dream city. The actual game is kind of grueling. You have to like, raise taxes and it’s…

DARREN:
A lot of responsibility.

CHUCK: A lot of responsibility. But I just loved making these big cityscapes and designing neighborhoods and dream parks and all that stuff. It was a really good place to let your imagination go wild.

DARREN: I was a big LucasArts fan. As a big Star Wars fan, that was like, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces, all Star Wars-themed games. And then now my favorite games would probably be like…. What are computer games now?

CHUCK:
They’re just called video games.

DARREN:
What games do you play on your phone even? I was really into Cut the Rope. I like strategy games.

Why did now feel like the best time for you to guys to do this together?

DARREN: It’s really overdue. I feel like if I’d waited any longer, it would’ve driven me mad.

CHUCK:
It’s something that we wanted to do for a long time because we wrote music together when we were teenagers. And it’s actually better now because we’re more experienced songwriters, more confident musicians. There’s some Picasso quote about keeping a child’s brain to create, and I feel like I can get into that headspace with Darren ’cause it’s like we’re just back in the basement writing songs.

DARREN: But we get to do it from an adult perspective. So we’re basically chasing our adolescence, but we wouldn’t have been able to make this music when we were young people. After Glee was over, there was a space that opened up, and I’d been planning to put out music for a long time, and it’s sort of a joke for people that have been following me that I’ve just never put anything out. And that has a lot to do with the fact that I was never happy with stuff, and it just never felt right. I was at a point where I was like, “OK, what do I have that I do feel cool about putting out?” This whole project is honoring our teenage selves and kind of fulfilling a promise that we made to ourselves forever ago. It’s a fresh start across the board. I look forward to the idea that if you didn’t know StarKid, if you didn’t know Glee, if you didn’t know Freelance Whales or any of us, that you can approach this music with full objectivity.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of working with your sibling?

DARREN: The only setback I would say is having there be more than one person. I’ve worked by myself for the most part with music. You don’t have to coordinate with anybody, you’re fine to do [red carpets and photoshoots alone]. But the irony of that is, yeah, you are alone. It’s all on you, and that can be a lot. So I don’t necessarily enjoy that. But what’s great about being with Chuck is that this is something we are both proud of. We share this endeavor. So when you’re walking the red carpet, it’s like, Chuck’s there. It’s fun. We’re a year and a half apart so we’ve always been really close. There’s no red tape to cut through when we’re collaborating on stuff, we can disagree without any bulls—, which is nice.

CHUCK: You know how sometimes you’re nicer to strangers than your own family? It’s almost like we get to cheat a little bit in the songwriting process ’cause we know each other so well, so there isn’t this level of compromising just for the sake of being nice because you just met this person and you have to write a song with them.

DARREN: 
Chuck and I are in the same headspace musically, artistically, everything, because we grew up on the same stuff. It streamlines the artistic process and any arguments — which I can’t even call it that — are few and far between. It’s like, “What do you think of this?” “I don’t like it.” “OK, cool.” I want us to both like it. 

Lost Boys Life is now streaming.

Link to EW article:   [url= http://ew.com/music/2017/03/08/chuck-darren-criss-computer-games-interview/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter] http://ew.com/music/2017/03/08/chuck-darren-criss-computer-games-interview/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter[/url]

Guys, please click on the links to the online articles (Hypable, Refinery 29, EW.com) to give them some numbers.  Thanks!

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I really love what Darren said in the EW.com article, about wanting to release music he felt proud of, and how some of the songs on the EP are both an homage to music of the past (80s music), as well as moving forward to a fresh start.  I remember talking with dusty and Jeremy before in the past, about when Darren does release new music, he has to try to appeal to people beyond his core fans, beyond Glee and StarKid fans who already know him.   To me, it seems like he did that.  :happy face

I'm really curious to hear more from you, dusty, since I think you also said that you liked 80s music.  I think Jeremy also mentioned this too.

dusty wrote:
Eek this is so exciting! ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 2029512208

I loved that little snippet. Very 80s in the beginning, then it sounded like an upbeat Bruno Mars song when all the brass instruments kicked at the end. Very promising, looking forward to the full song. And we're getting an EP, woohoo

You have a good ear, dusty! 

Yes, it immediately reminded me of Bruno Mars, with the brass instruments, jazzy kind of feel.  Also reminded me of Lionel Richie's dance songs, which the EW article mentioned.

Yes, I guess we'll never really know about the mystery of the Feinsteins at the Nikko's "mistake."  But it doesn't matter now!   That's all in the past.  We got the music!!!!  YEA!!!!

dusty wrote:Love how they did that little treasure hunt for the fans. Nice bit of marketing there. Darren really does seem clued up about social media.

This is all very exciting indeed! We have several things to look forward to now. ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 2358690460

Btw, do I spot a rosemary twig tattoo on Chuck's arm? Isn't his daughter called Rosemary? Cute.

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omecv9PwAc1tpkj9wo1_1280

You are very observant, Dusty.  I didn't notice his tattoo.  So sweet about his daughter.

Yup, Darren seems to have learned a lot about marketing via using social media.  So proud of him for using his smarts to market his music!  Even just his decision to release his music free on youtube is a calculated decision to get the word out as broadly as possible to reach as many people as possible, while counting on his fans and others who really like the music to proceed with buying the singles and/or the EP (which are very reasonably priced).   Very smart. 

Can't wait to see (hopefully) videos of fans who record the Criss brothers performing their new music tonight.  :happy face

dusty wrote:
It makes sense what he's saying about wanting to start afresh. It's a shame for us those songs will be locked away, but sometimes it's just more fruitful starting anew then going back over the same old.

I'm really excited he's doing something with Chuck. I remember thinking when the Freelance Whales split up that maybe Chuck will now do something with his little bro. ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 1021284439

Yes, I agree, dusty.  I would have loved to have been able to listen to his old music, but sometimes like you said, you just need to move forward.  As an artist, I'm sure Darren felt strongly about staying true to who he is an artist in the present time, versus 6 years ago, since he's evolved artistically since then.  Same is true, I'm sure, about Chuck.

You foresaw Chuck and Darren's musical collaboration, dusty.  :happy face  thumbs up

I really would love to hear more of your thoughts, dusty, now that you heard the 3 songs that Darren released.

I can't wait to hear the piano version of "Lost Boys Life."  Will buys the EP tonight.  (And probably the CD and shirt too.   :big grin)

DaisiesAndLilies wrote:I'm trying to be good and wait until the full versions of the songs are out, but I'm impatient!

So I'm so curious what you think, DaisiesAndLilies.  Please share!

BTW, DaisiesAndLilies, dailydarrennews later posted that screenshot that you posted in our forum (and that dusty also referred to)--thank you again for posting that.  :happy face
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omcctsQjkc1uetdyxo1_1280

@imchrisdaily: Darren Criss on why he hasn’t been putting out music
via dailydarrennews

Lin, Lilikoiluv, Jeremy, where are you guys?

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrenews:

Top 100 Albums iTunes Chart (March 8, 2017)!  Congrats Darren and Chuck!  thumbs up

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omio2tfPfT1uetdyxo1_1280

@weplaycomputers: Wow! Thanks for making us #4 on iTunes!
dailydarrennews

This is impressive too!
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omimxrlazl1uetdyxo1_500
Current international itunes charts position for Lost Boys Life - March 8, 2017
via dailydarrennews

Darren is going to be on the Elvis Duran show again (tomorrow, Thursday, March 9)

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omink6d6IB1uetdyxo1_500
@ElvisDuranShow: TOMORROW: We have @DarrenCriss and his brother @Chuck_Criss (aka @weplaycomputers) IN-STUDIO with us to perform LIVE! #LostBoysLife

I knew Billboard would cover this.  They have a supportive relationship with Darren.  :happy face

Billboard wrote:
Darren Criss & Brother Chuck Talk New, 'Unapologetically Fun' Alt-Pop Project, Computer Games

March 8, 2017

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Darren-criss-and-chuck-criss-iheartradio-music-awards-2017-billboard-1548
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for iHeartMediaDarren

Darren Criss was always destined to make a career out of music. He studied the violin from age 5 well into his teenage years, picking up other instruments along the way, while also pursuing a love for musical theater. But he credits his own musical endeavors to the environment in which he grew up – particularly his older brother, Chuck, who brought other musical interests to the table especially when they were in high school.

“Music has always been the backbone of our relationship and our household,” Darren tells Billboard. “We both had a voracious appetite for music, but I think high school is when we started playing together and being to communicate on a level that changed everything. I think the kind of music we played is probably loud garage rock, because we were just playing in the basement.”

Once they graduated, though, the Criss brothers decided to take their own paths. Darren independently released a solo EP, Human, in July 2010, just months before debuting in his breakthrough role as dreamy choir head Blaine Anderson on Fox’s hit musical dramedy Glee, while Chuck found a home in New York City and became a founding member of indie-rock fivesome Freelance Whales.

With Glee seeing its end in 2015 and Freelance Whales' most recent album hailing from 2012, both Criss brothers were itching to do something new musically -- so they thought, why not relive the days of the brotherly collaborations? And come March 8, 2017, behold, the Criss alt-pop project Computer Games.

Paying homage to Darren and Chuck's other childhood love of computer games (yes, like Oregon Trail and SimCity), Darren, who serves as the project's frontman, calls it a "total passion project," and a perfect opportunity to play music with his brother again. "I was really trying to figure out what I was going to do and I was trying to decide if I was going to have a band, or a pop moniker, or what the thing was gonna be to make it something new and exciting as opposed to just being myself. I was shying less and less away from just me -- I don’t really like that, I think that puts a lot of pressure on you because it’s just you, you, you."

After dropping mysterious social media hints, Computer Games officially launched Wednesday (March  8 with the release of its first official EP, Lost Boys Life, featuring three songs and a demo cut. Billboard sat down with Chuck and Darren ahead of the big day to talk about why now is the time for a Criss brother project, how they found their "unapologetically fun" sound, and what they hope to see come of it.

What made you decide that now is the right time for you two to actually release music together?

Darren:
I was at the crossroads of what I was going to do next -- Glee was over, there’s been a festering solo record, which people have been asking me about forever. Between all the songs I’ve written and produced over the years, I wanted to start fresh. Chuck and I were writing songs, and I was like, “Why don’t we just do this together? These are both our songs.” I’ve always wanted to do something with Chuck, and life’s too short, so here we are.

It’s a really cool way to break the door down, and then we’ll see what people react to. We win either way, because we wanted to record these [songs] and we’re happy about these -- nobody was shoving this down our throats, it didn’t feel forced. In that regard, it was a personal victory. We’ll see what people say and what they want, and we’ll give the people what they want.

How has the dynamic changed working with your brother now, rather than working with other people or on your own?

Chuck:
I think it’s been better. Darren comes from a different background, more of a pop sensibility and more of an understanding of harmony -- especially from the Broadway world, a really strong attention to songwriting detail. There are things that I’m not typically used to working with, but it was really cool. I would have an initial idea, and then the way Darren would flesh it out is much different than the way it would work with the Whales.

Darren:
There’s a familiarity between Chuck and I that there’s not a lot of red tape to cut through. I’m hyper-specific and very militant -- as chill of a guy as I am, I treat music and anything I create with hyper-specificity, and kind of maniacally so. So it’s nice to have Chuck’s looser grip on certain things, which is good for creativity. Chuck will just kind of splatter stuff against the wall, and then I can kind of pick up the pieces. It’s like making a face out of a doodle.

Chuck:
But it’s great, because me as a doodler -- since we’ve known each other for so long and have written songs together for so long -- I can kind of be abstract, and he still kind of knows what I’m talking about. I don’t have to go through that extra step of explaining. Or, I can reference "that thing we did in the basement."

[. . . ]

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Computer-games-darren-criss-2017-billboard-embed

Can you elaborate on what makes Computer Games' music "unapologetically fun pop"?

Darren:
Yeah, that’s more to apologize to our producer friends, because one of the lead tracks on it -- the song “Every Single Night” -- is so layered. Harmonically and production-wise, there’s so much happening that typically I would be like, “No, no, no, we gotta take some of this out.” I come from a world where when I record I like to try and have it be ready for a live experience as much as possible. I kind of threw that to the wind once I started Computer Games. As long as it sounds good... 

It’s kind of marrying these two schools, of thought of being a purist, and also just accepting what’s hip. Chuck, you kept saying this when we were in the recording studio -- I was like “Having 13 guitars is kind of wacky,” and you were like, “I don’t know, it sounds good.” And that to me just trumps all. You let go of making concessions and you just say, “We’re not sorry!” We just want it to sound f--king rad.

How did you guys figure out the "rad" sound you wanted?

Chuck:
We had the songs written, and then it was just a matter of, “What kind of clothes do you want to put on this?”

Darren:
So we teamed up with a crew that I have always admired called The Elev3n. Chuck and I, our sensibilities are a little more mom-and-pop, and more band-y. And The Elev3n guys are straight-up pop producers, and they’re really strong pop producers. They have a vocabulary that we don’t have and we certainly have a vocabulary that they don’t have, so we thought it would be kind of cool to meet halfway with these guys and see what they do.

I’d like to think that Chuck and I could hold our own, but for the most part, I would play something out and then be like, “All right, Dave you do it better. It’ll take me 30 takes, it’ll take you three.”

Chuck: We probably could’ve made this record on our own, it just would’ve taken 10 years instead of two weeks.

It only took two weeks to make?

Chuck:
No, no, but at least [just the] time in the studio.

Darren:
The reality is, Chuck and I live in different cities. Chuck’s full time in New York, and I’m full-time nowhere...  I have a life running around the world doing whatever I gotta do. So this was really kind of put together sort of when convenient -- which is not the most ideal way to make something, but it certainly prioritizes what you need to do. With The Elev3n, they do have such a strong pop-influenced way of thinking, and we welcomed that into the way that we were making this because we wanted to make it accessible.

When you are making anything, all you can do is chase the idea that exists and then see where it goes. It’s like having a child and seeing what the child gets into. If a song sounds a certain way, we go, “Okay cool, we should probably let it sound like that and mix it accordingly, as opposed to trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.”

Chuck:
Yeah because these songs ended up having an ‘80s aesthetic, but by no means were we stepping into it like, “We gotta make an ‘80s record.” It did end up sounding like music that was popular when we were kids, but it was almost like, when we were kids, we weren’t even rocking out to that stuff, it was just kind of in the ether. I was born the same year Phil Collins was a superstar, but I didn’t start listening to Phil Collins until I was in college, maybe later. My ear was completely tuned out to it.

Darren:
And now your ear is just like, “Oh man, this is the best s--t ever.”

And what made you decide that Lost Boys Life was going to be the name of the EP?

Darren:
The thing that Chuck and I share is, we're men grappling with this concept of adulthood, but still one foot is forever stuck in adolescence. All the music is thematically sort of adolescent, and sonically adolescent – it sounds like the popular sounds of the late ‘80s, early ‘90s, when we were little kids. In that sense, it’s about not wanting to give that up, and sort of living this Lost Boys Life. All the songs have something to do with growing up in some weird way. It’s also just a title that I f---ing love, to be real. [Laughs.]

Chuck:
Yeah, it kind of sums up the EP nicely. What I like about it -- it does kind of have that Peter Pan-y lost boys thing, but then I like it more as a vibe of the Kiefer Sutherland movie.

Darren:
Yeah, people forget – they’re like, "Oh, Peter Pan." And we’re like, "No, vampires."

Even though it's still pretty new, do you guys have any goals or hopes for Computer Games?

Darren:
 All you can hope for -- it’s not that people like what you’re doing, it’s that people have any reaction at all. We’re not making incredibly heavy, pensive music. But the prime objective of what we’ve created is, like we said, [to be] unapologetically fun. So if you’re singing or dancing, or laughing, or smiling, f--k yeah. That’s all we really ask... or hope for, because we’re not asking for anything.

Particularly people who don’t know who we are -- the people who don’t know Freelance Whales, the people who didn’t watch Glee -- those are the people that I hope to reach. I look forward to the blank slate, and I look forward to these songs grabbing people objectively.

Please click on the Billboard article to give it numbers:  http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7717175/darren-criss-computer-games-brother-chuck-lost-boys-life-interview

Yahoo.com wrote:
Darren Criss and Brother Chuck Play with '80s Sounds in New Duo Computer Games

For Darren Criss, the dream of making music with his older brother Chuck started in basement jam sessions when the two were in high school growing up in San Francisco. Now that the former Glee star and his older sibling have hit their thirties, they’re finally making that dream come true with the new Lost Boys Life EP from their alt-pop outfit Computer Games.

“It’s almost frustrating how it took this long,” says Darren of their recording debut. “I just turned 30 and I was like, ‘All right, if we don’t do this now, I’m gonna go insane.’ It’s not like we were sitting on our asses doing nothing, so I can’t get too mad at myself for never having done this before. Chuck and I were very lucky to fall into these separate rabbit holes — for me as an actor and Chuck as a musician.”

[. . .]

Darren believes that the “timing seemed right” for the independently released project: “Luckily, because of the successes that we’ve had on our own, it’s sort of afforded us a pretty good perspective on things. I wonder if we had pursued this when we were [younger], the focuses would have been different. But it’s just been this sort of festering itch that we needed to scratch for so long. Another 10 years would have gone by in the blink of an eye, and then it would be arguably too late. So here we are.”

As a kid, Darren was the first of the Criss brothers to catch the music bug, playing the guitar, the violin, and the drums as well as developing a “voracious appetite” for the Beatles. For Chuck — a fan of classic rock, the White Stripes and the Strokes growing up — the itch to pick up instruments came later in high school: “I didn’t start playing any music until I was like 16 or 17. My first instrument was the banjo. Then I learned how to play the guitar and the bass and stuff.” Recalls Darren: “I remember when Chuck started playing guitar and me just being so annoyed because I played my whole life and Chuck was getting so good so fast.”

That all led to plenty of rocking out in the Criss household. “All of our friends who also played music would come over every day after school and it would just get crazy loud,” says Darren. “I can only imagine how annoying it could have been for our parents, but they loved it. I think they were really enjoying the fact that their boys were connecting so hard on music.”

The Criss brothers bring that same sense of fun to Computer Games. “That’s kind of where the name Computer Games came from,” explains Darren. “We’re just having fun. The whole notion of the band is playful. It’s having fun with computers, having fun with loops and just having fun playing. We just wanted to make something as fun as humanly possible.”

For the Lost Boys Life EP, Chuck says, “We wanted to bring back certain things that we love in music. I think that’s why with these [songs] there’s a little more ’80s vibe to them. We wanted to have guitar solos and a lot of percussion and synth horns.” Adds Darren: “The lead single of the EP [‘Every Single Night’] has this sort of Miami Sound Machine/Lionel Richie/Phil Collins ’80s dance record vibe. We’re pulling from all the stuff that people would generally roll their eyes at but they’re secretly smiling on the inside.”

So, are there ever any sibling spats between the two brothers in Computer Games? “Chuck and I rarely disagree on anything,” says Darren. “It is a really good collaboration. Chuck is really a great doodler. I’m sort of like the song surgeon, I guess. I’m just such a perfectionist.” Chuck breaks it down this way: “I think I’m really good about having that initial idea. Darren has a knack for good lyrics and he’s a great harmonizer. We each have our strengths and weaknesses. He’ll pick up the slack where maybe I’m lacking and vice versa.”

Darren hopes that Glee fans will follow him in his new role as pop artist. “I’m certainly not the kind of person that runs away from what people know me from,” says the Emmy nominee, who will reunite with Glee creator Ryan Murphy to star in Versace: American Crime Story for the third season of Murphy’s FX series. “I am so lucky to have people even know [me], to have a leg up. Being an artist starting out with no fanbase is really a hard thing to do. We’re happy to embrace that.”

As for the future of Computer Games, Chuck says, “We’d love to record an album at some point, if there’s demand for it. Even if there isn’t maybe we’ll just do it anyway because obviously we’re doing this to fulfill a promise to ourselves.” Adds Darren: “It’s something that we’re passionate about, and if it catches on, then great, but if it doesn’t, we still win. We’re still so thrilled that we got to get together and put this out into the world. It’s not just to make our parents happy.”
via DarrenCrissArmy

Link:  https://www.yahoo.com/music/darren-criss-and-brother-chuck-play-with-80s-sounds-in-new-duo-computer-games-201511871.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Please click on the links to the articles to give them numbers.  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:04 am; edited 3 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you dailydarrennews and Darren Criss Army for posting the great videos of Computer Games' release concert tonight!

Aaaaaahhh!   More fantastic news!   Darren is going to release a singer-songwriter EP that will come out later in 2017!!!!   I absolutely cannot wait!!!  Thank you, thank you!  bow to you

From dailydarrennews:

About the song "The Day the Dance Is Over":
Darren Criss wrote:“I think I’m gonna end it with a bonus song… this song, I’ve never played it before, live, ever. But this is a song that my brother and I wrote, and we wanted it to be a Computer Games song, but instead I decided to put it on my own singer-songwriter EP that will come out later this year.”
— Darren Criss [x] (via jenndesq)
(via i-and-my-annabel-lee)
March 8, 2017
dailydarrennews

Videos of the performances at tonight's release concert in NYC:

One of their original songs that is not on the Lost Boys Life EP:  "The Day the Dance is Over."

This is a poignant song.  Sad, yet loving.  Beautiful.   I really love this song.  Lovely lyrics, beautifully sung by Darren, elegant melody.  Can't wait to hear the studio version later this year on Darren's singer-songwriter EP!!  heart heart heart

elphiesglinda:
  The Day The Dance Is Over - Darren Criss (Computer Games EP Release) 3/8/17

elphiesglinda:
    Lost Boys Life - Computer Games (Darren & Chuck Criss) EP Release 3/8/17

elphiesglinda:
    Every Single Night - Computer Games (Darren & Chuck Criss) EP Release 2/8/17

elphiesglinda:
   We Like It - Computer Games (Darren & Chuck Criss) EP Release 3/8/17

The audios of the next 2 videos of "The Day the Dance is Over" is very clear.

@rpascarelli2 The Day the Dance is Over @DarrenCriss can’t wait for the singer songwriter CD later this year
via dailydarrennews

From Darren Criss Army:

The Day the Dance is Over Live at the Mercury Lounge NYC 3/8/17
(Source: slayediest)

via DarrenCrissArmy

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

A complete audio recording of Computer Games' Launch concert in NYC (March 8, 2017):

Darren Criss Army wrote:
Computer Games Lost boys Life Live, at the Mercury Lounge
NYC 3/8/17

VISIT THIS LINK
via Darren Criss Army

Link:  http://mixlr.com/girlphenom/showreel/computer-games-live/

A few pics from tonight's release concert:

From dailydarrennews:

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omj5brjbK61r0rx8mo1_500
jenndesq:
   @weplaycomputers @darrencriss @charlescriss
dailydarrennews

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omj57xrxGz1r0rx8mo1_500
jenndesq:
   @weplaycomputers release party! @darrencriss & @charlescriss love the new tunes!!  (at Mercury Lounge)
dailydarernnews

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omj8eaTyIn1uetdyxo3_1280
@darrehcriss This is how close i was in case yall wanted to know
dailydarrennews

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omj5bvFbOh1uetdyxo2_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omj5bvFbOh1uetdyxo5_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omj5bvFbOh1uetdyxo7_1280
Darren and Chuck Criss during their EP release gig on March 8th, 2017 (x|x|x)
dailydarrennews

From Darren Criss Army:

Cute video before the concert, of Darren and Chuck thanking their fans from all around the world.  heart   A very sweet gesture.

Computer Games (Darren and Chuck Criss) thanking their fans for helping make their debut album Lost Boys Life a worldwide success (via Computer Games IG Story Instagram.com/weplaycomputers) 3/8/17
DarrenCrissArmy

They are really treasuring working together.  :happy face

Darren and Chuck arriving at the Mercury Lounge for sound check 3/8/17 via Computer Games’ IG Story (Instagram.com/weplaycomputers)
Darren Criss Army

Last edited by Poppy on Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Wow, there are many things to listen/watch/read excited

I won't have the time to do that today but I will catch up tomorrow :happy face

I'm surprised by the success of the album on Itunes wha?

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:
I'm surprised by the success of the album on Itunes ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 2747276107

I've seen some folks on twitter (fans of Darren) say the same. 

It's quite impressive that with really no big media blitz, he reached so high on the iTunes charts.  (The only media he used for publicity before the release of their music was an interview with Refinery 29, and an interview with Teen Vogue, as well as his cute treasure hunt marketing and Google Hang-out.)

I checked this morning and Computer Games' EP Lost Boys Life was # 1 on the U.S. iTunes Top 40 Alternative Albums.   Right now (9 pm Pacific Time), their EP is at # 2 (The Shins' Heartworms album, which was released today, is at # 1). 

This morning Lost Boys Life was at # 8 on the U.S. iTunes Top 100 Albums.  Right now (9 pm Pacific Time), it is at # 13.

The EP is still doing very well!  thumbs up applause

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

jenndesq:
  Computer Games EP Release Party - Darren Criss & Chuck Criss - March 8, 2017 - Full Set

Note:   I love how at the end, he thanks the band and his fans for their support.

She also has videos of the individual songs:

This a cute pic.  :happy face For more pics, go to elphiesglinda.
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjbqj0hSm1rg4ui9o7_1280
elphiesglinda:
   Computer Games (Darren & Chuck Criss) EP Release 3/8/17

From Darren Criss Army:

Another video of the entire concert (release party) on March 8 in NYC for Computer Games' EP.  It's cute to watch all the little notes from fans scroll down the screen.  heart

Computer Games EP Release Party Live Stream via weplaycomputers IG Live 3/8/17

(Source: youtube.com)
via DarrenCrissArmy

A nice video where Darren and Chuck talk about their history with this neighborhood in NYC.  So nostalgic.  :happy face

Darren Criss‏ @DarrenCriss

LES in NYC & @weplaycomputers got history . Shoutout to Arlene’s Grocery. @charlescriss
via DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Darren is going to be on iHeartRadio (March 10):  :happy face

via Darren’s Instagram stories on March 9th, 2017
March 09 2017

Thank you Elvis Duran!  I'm sure you had a hand at this.  :happy face

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omknzylvHI1uetdyxo1_1280
@iHeartRadio Join us tomorrow at 12pm ET as @DarrenCriss debuts new alt-pop project, Computer Games LIVE on https://www.facebook.com/iHeartRadio

Interesting drawing (would look great on an album cover).  Interesting comments.
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_oml92upOZA1uetdyxo1_250  ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_oml92upOZA1uetdyxo2_250
Via Computer Games’ Instagram Stories - March 9, 2017

Yes, it was, Darren!  For both you, Chuck, and your fans!  heart 

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjsyxdMvV1uetdyxo1_500
March 09 2017

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk28kz4gm1uetdyxo1_1280
mateomorales Congrats boys! Our jam Every Single Night was just played by @elvisduranshow on @z100newyork!! Dope time last night hearing @darrencriss & @charlescriss from @weplaycomputers play their first show! We helped them produce their first EP #LostBoysLife that they just put out yesterday. Had a bunch of fun switching things up and creating with these talented muzos and crazy guyzzz!
dailydarrennews

Note:  Mateo Morales is with The Elev3n, a NYC-based music production team.   I remember Alex of DCN had noted The Elev3n in connection with Darren's album.  Darren is listed on their website (http://www.theelev3n.com/) as one of the artists they have collaborated with.  :happy face

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk0k5xEoF1uetdyxo1_500
Note:  Tony Hoffer is a music producer, guitarist and music mixer.

Computer Games release party (March 8, 2017) in NYC:

Nice set of black and white photos:
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omkzod4LGm1rr00q0o1_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omkzod4LGm1rr00q0o2_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omkzod4LGm1rr00q0o3_1280
belleybuttons:
    justpressrecord:  people say don’t let your emotions control you  well how can that be  without them i never could know you  will you dance with me  every single night
dailydarrennews

Cute pic of Darren and Mia (and the band?).  :happy face  Lilikoiluv, do you recognize any of the band members?   Are they from U of Michigan?
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjvimv5Ob1rr00q0o1_500
belleybuttons:
  via Mia’s snapchat (March 9th, 2017)

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjc1k2g9l1ruzy0ho1_500
amelodysosweet:
  Computer Games - Lost Boys Life EP Release Party, March 8, 2017
dailydarrennews

Nice pic:
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjz57BM521uetdyxo1_1280
Computer Games’ EP release party at Mercury Lounge - March 8, 2017 [x]
dailydarrennews

This is cute.  Darren recognizing their release party was on International Women's Day.  The way he giggles when he exclaims:  "That means there's some ladies in the house!"  Haha!!! :laughing  Love the enthusiastic crowd.   "Which is why I brought a red head band."  :amused

carolpeletiers:
  darren criss on international women’s day // 3-8-17
dailydarrennews

Rehearsal before the release party?

weplaycomputers: #tbt first rehearsal. bridge. every single night
dailydarrennews

Darren on the Elvis Duran Show (March 9, 2017):

haha!  :big grin
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjxlxAzBC1uetdyxo1_500

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjwfnYNK01uetdyxo1_1280
@ElvisDuranShow  We are LOVING @DarrenCriss and @Chuck_Criss new group @weplaycomputers. Check out the Lost Boys Life EP available now!

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjyxgJg4w1uetdyxo1_1280
@elvisduran: Thanks for stopping by @DarrenCriss @Chuck_Criss! Go check out @weplaycomputers new EP, out now!

I enjoyed listening to Darren singing Rihanna's song (and liked his fun "sexy" introduction to the song):

Love on the Brain live on the Elvis Duran Show
Computer Games
Source
March 09 2017
dailydarrennews

Very interesting interview, talking about their expectations for their music.

Note:  Darren stated that both he and Chuck are independent artists, indie artists.

Elvis asked why isn't the EP on iHeart?  Darren:  "That's up to you, Mr. Duran.  That's why we came here."   :big grin haha.  Elvis Duran isn't quite sure how to put Lost Boys Life EP on iHeart.   haha!  Elvis wants to know their schedule, and Darren and Chuck are just going with the flow.   Elvis:  "What's the plan?!"  " You're such San Francisco boys."  haha!  :amused  And aw, Elvis is so sweet and supportive, asking that caller to the radio show to buy the Lost Boys Life EP.  

Via Computer Games’ Instagram Stories - March 9, 2017
Dailydarrennews

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk71xAGuB1uetdyxo5_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk71xAGuB1uetdyxo7_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk71xAGuB1uetdyxo6_540

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk71xAGuB1uetdyxo8_1280

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk71xAGuB1uetdyxo9_1280
[LQ] Darren Criss and Chuck Criss visit the ‘Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show'at Z100 Studio on March 9, 2017 in New York City
dailydarrennews

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk76puxPq1uetdyxo8_1280
[LQ] Darren Criss and Chuck Criss visit the ‘Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show'at Z100 Studio on March 9, 2017 in New York City

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk7b6DZsS1uetdyxo5_1280
[LQ] Darren Criss visits the ‘Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show'at Z100 Studio on March 9, 2017 in New York City

From Darren Criss Army:

Computer Games release party (March 8, 2017) in NYC:

Warning: Some Flashing Lights!

This looks impressive, Chuck!

# Repost   charlescriss shameless shredding post because #shredding is v important. Thanks #jamesgabriel !! http://ift.tt/2mLPkZ7
via Darren Criss Army

I love this pic and the fan's message. :laughing
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omja69GeZO1qcant6o1_1280
kissedmequiteinsane:
   The only real photo worth sharing
DarrenCrissArmy

ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk2a6H4ow1ubd9qxo1_1280
@weplaycomputers
DarrenCrissArmy

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

Teen Vogue wrote:
Darren Criss and Brother Chuck Talk about Band Computer Games

March 9, 2017

Most people are familiar with Darren Criss as one of the breakout stars of Ryan Murphy's musical-comedy smash-hit, Glee. And while the show ended in 2015 after six critically-acclaimed seasons, Darren's been keeping busy with a starring stint in Broadway's Hedwig and the Angry Itch, as well as a new role in a forthcoming installation of American Crime Story. However, that's not all he has up his sleeve, as yesterday the triple-threat dropped his first EP, Lost Boys Life, under the moniker Computer Games. That said, he's not doing it on his own, as Computer Games is a joint effort with his older brother, Chuck, a seasoned musician in his own right, as well as a member of indie outfit The Freelance Whales.

A project the duo explains is long overdue, it's an indie gem filled with plenty of 80s pop inspiration and a dash of true DIY sensibility. So on the heels of Computer Games' official release, Teen Vogue caught up with both Criss brothers . . . 

[. . . ]

TV: These songs, I'm assuming they're influenced by the 80s music you grew up listening to? How did you make sure you could incorporate elements of the stuff you grew up with accessible to your younger audience? How did you reconcile this age bias we’re talking about?

DC: We're definitely like early 80s, especially dance records. We're talking about Miami Sound Machine, Lionel Richie, Phil Collins. These are the guys that were really putting a lot of heavy rhythmic qualities to their music, and just layering a ton of electronic sounds on top of each other. That's kind of what we are doing.

[As for other influences,] Chuck and I have a band sensibility because we played in bands growing up. Chuck's experience with recording music is mainly with an indie label with an indie band, and it's very analog. Whereas, I have a foot in both ponds. I've dealt in the pop world — Glee was an excellent training camp, even though they were covers. It was an amazing training camp on how to produce pop vocals and to create things at that level. I always was very attuned to how those two things were different.

CC: I think a big thing was when I was in the indie world, my main criticism was that it tends, and it's by no means intentional, to be a little exclusive.And that sucks. I want our music to be inclusive and it's not. Like sometimes it feels like you have to get this reference in order to [be privy to the music].

[. . . ]

DC: It’s just music, man. If it makes you feel good, that's it. As a kid you would always get so protective of bands that I thought were cool and somebody that I didn't like, liked it and I didn't think it was cool anymore. I just wasted all this time and energy on the non-existent politics of what's cool, of which nobody's the president of. Of which there is no cabinet that says what's right or wrong. There's no rules. If you like it, you like it, that's it. You don't have to justify the things that you like. There's a song about that on our record.

[. . . ]

The cool thing about this project is that it is 100% indie and it's low stakes. We're just doing something we care about. I'd rather do something we care about and have it fail miserably, than do something that has high stakes, that's supposed to be this thing for people, and the labels really pushing hard, and I feel 'eh' about it, and it does well. And I feel 'eh'? That would be torturous, man. I'd have to really show face for something that I didn't believe in. That's even a worse curse. I'd rather crash and burn with a smile on my face.

TV: That said, why chose to release independently when obviously you would have no trouble finding a label.

DC:
It’s a really exciting time to be an independent artist. I've been saying this for a while. Even before you have the Chance [The Rappers] of the world, proving it to people who weren't as familiar with that plight. Chance is a great example of how powerful the democratic process of independent music consumption can be. He's the first independent artist to win a grammy. We're in different worlds but the process is the same. It's just doing something on your own time, your own rules.

[. . . ]

TV: Finally, what separates this particular project from your previous musical endeavors?

DC:
Everything. I, for all intents and purposes, have no other musical endeavors out there. Other than StarKid. Which was my big break, which was this YouTube comedy company. I wrote music for them. That's like musical theater songs. That's completely different gear of my brain, which I love, it's just a different animal. I put out a really low-fi, pretty crappy singer/songwriter EP when I was 22 because I needed to make money...It was called, Human. It was not crappy but, it's not well recorded. I just needed to record something.

CC:
It's a lot better than you give yourself credit for.

DC:
I wish it was better but, that's the artist curse that will always be held ...It's just an iTunes. That was the last time I put anything out. The only thing else that people might know music from is whatever I sang on Glee. For all intents and purposes, this is the first indie music [release], for me, which is wildly exciting. That’s why I like that we're Computer Games. It's a clean slate, carte blanche for both of us. If people don't know [The Freelance Whales], or don't know Glee, or don't know StarKid, and they just hear this music.

CC:
For me, it was an opportunity to write something more pop-centered. I just do love pop music but, I was coming from a world where I felt like I have to write more exclusive music like I talked about before. It was great to just do something, no apologies, with a great pop vocalist [gestures to Darren]. It's exciting to work in that medium.

DC:
I will say that what's cool about this is that we are the outlier in that sense that if everyone's running away from trying to be lame, we're embracing whatever that is. That's its own discussion. We're trying to be outliers by being the, "F*ck it. This is fun. Let's do the fun stuff."

Link:  http://www.teenvogue.com/story/darren-criss-and-brother-chuck-talk-about-new-band-computer-games

Please click on the link to give the article some numbers.  :happy face

That was a fascinating interview.  Gives us an idea of what Darren feels about being an independent indie artist and about the pressure exerted by record labels.  You also recognize one of Darren's long-time messages, which is be yourself, do what you like, regardless whether it's "cool" or not, and don't let anyone else dictate who you should be.   Also love Chuck's sweet support of Darren and his EP Human (which I love and have to disagree with Darren about that EP.  Although you could tell some of the songs' lyrics were written by someone quite young, the lyrics were sweet.  And the melodies were very inviting, very hummable and singable, very catchy).

Poppy wrote:
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omk28kz4gm1uetdyxo1_1280
mateomorales Congrats boys! Our jam Every Single Night was just played by @elvisduranshow on @z100newyork!! Dope time last night hearing @darrencriss & @charlescriss from @weplaycomputers play their first show! We helped them produce their first EP #LostBoysLife that they just put out yesterday. Had a bunch of fun switching things up and creating with these talented muzos and crazy guyzzz!
dailydarrennews

Note:  Mateo Morales is with The Elev3n, a NYC-based music production team.   I remember Alex of DCN had noted The Elev3n in connection with Darren's album.  Darren is listed on their website (http://www.theelev3n.com/) as one of the artists they have collaborated with.  :happy face

The Billboard article mentions that The Elev3n did production on Lost Boys Life.  Darren paralleled their working relationship (two of them are brothers) with his and Chuck's collaboration. It sounds like they added instrumentation after CG wrote the songs.

I've only had time to listen to the whole EP once. I feel like I need more than I got, like at least two albums' worth. :cheeky I was hoping for Chuck to sing lead somewhere, but I could tell that he wrote on these songs. I did appreciate having the demo version of Lost Boys Life because I could hear the chord progression better with just the piano. After the first playthrough, I slightly preferred Every Single Night over the other two, but I think that will change upon further review. celebration dance! love the  music

One thing about all the interviews: whenever the headlines say "brother Chuck", it makes me think of the TV trope "Brother Chuck". sad face Also, I wish Darren wouldn't use the word "festering" to describe anything he does. That makes it sound like his past music has become a cancer, which I doubt is the case. Albatross, maybe, but not something toxic.

Poppy wrote:Aaaaaahhh!   More fantastic news!   Darren is going to release a singer-songwriter EP that will come out later in 2017!!!!   I absolutely cannot wait!!!  Thank you, thank you!   bow to you
I'll believe it when I see it. Razz  But yay for having yet another thing to look forward to. oh yeah dance!
Poppy wrote:Cute pic of Darren and Mia (and the band?).  :happy face  Lilikoiluv, do you recognize any of the band members?   Are they from U of Michigan?
ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Tumblr_omjvimv5Ob1rr00q0o1_500
belleybuttons:
 via Mia’s snapchat (March 9th, 2017)

I think the band was Darren's usual Umich friends and these are just (Mia's) friends who came to the show.
The guy in red is Cole Ramstad, he played with Darren at other events (Hedwig Broadway opening party and a Fox Upfronts thing iirc). Pretty sure the two on the left are members of one of Mia's former bands.

Poppy wrote:I enjoyed listening to Darren singing Rihanna's song (and liked his fun "sexy" introduction to the song):
Just for some context, this is missing a bit in the beginning where Darren was "complaining" about how early it was and that it might not be the the best idea to try to sing this song because they stayed out late. Elvis stopped them and said Darren was being too "negative", which Darren disagreed with, so when Elvis made them start over he went for this silly introduction.

One thing I forgot: Every Single Night has some familiar-sounding studio singers in the background. I think that's what Darren was working on with Tim Davis back in August.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi DaisiesAndLilies,

Thanks for pointing out that in the Billboard article, Darren mentioned The Elev3n.  It's great that they give the production group credit.  :happy face   How interesting that two of the talented guys in The Elev3n are brothers too.

DaisiesAndLilies wrote:I feel like I need more than I got, like at least two albums' worth. ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 1692114053

haha.  We've been waiting a long time for Darren's music, so I can understand that.  For me, when I finished listening to the EP for the first time, I also thought, "That was great!  Now, I want more."   :amused

I was wondering if Chuck would sing lead.  I didn't follow the Freelance Whales, so I don't know who did vocals in the group.  Maybe at some point, he will sing lead --cross fingers they release another EP or album.  The song,  "Lost Boys Life" sounds like something Darren would write.  Darren mentioned in the Elvis Duran interview that Chuck wrote "Every Single Night"?   I agree in that I did think that Chuck had a strong influence, especially with "We Like It" and "Every Single Night." 

I'm glad I bought the EP because I really enjoyed listening to Darren perform "Lost Boys Life" on the piano.

Of the 3 songs, "Lost Boys Life" is my favorite.  :happy face  I can see how many folks would hold "Every Single Night" as their favorite, a fun dance song. 

Yes, I do wish the headlines wouldn't read "Darren Criss and brother Chuck."   If they release another EP or album, it some point, I imagine they will drop the "brother Chuck."   It will just be Computer Games, just the Criss brothers.  ha.  Darren sometimes can choose more positive terminology than what he comes up with during interviews.   (Interviews can be tough; it helps to think prior to the interviews of what language you want to use.  For example, in his new iHeartRadio performance, I think Darren said something like "Let's stick to the lame stuff that makes us smile ..."  I probably wouldn't use the word "lame."   Maybe say something like, "The song expresses our belief that you always should embrace whatever makes you happy, regardless of how others may think about it."  I like the phrase that they are using in interviews, "unapologetically fun."  )   But anyway, back to your point, DaisiesAndLilies, "festering" was an interesting choice of words.  To me, it was an instance of being very open, and giving us an idea of how being hindered by the record label about his music on that album that he was working on while signed with Columbia, really led to a less-than-ideal, frustrating, possibly smothering experience.  

Hi Lin.  :happy face
Lin wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 Icon_razz  But yay for having yet another thing to look forward to. ALT987fm - Music by Computer Games (Darren and Chuck's Band) - Page 2 2358690460
ha!  I'm really, really looking forward to it.  :love

Thanks for the info about the peeps in that pic with Mia.  :happy face

Lin wrote:Just for some context, this is missing a bit in the beginning where Darren was "complaining" about how early it was and that it might not be the the best idea to try to sing this song because they stayed out late. Elvis stopped them and said Darren was being too "negative", which Darren disagreed with, so when Elvis made them start over he went for this silly introduction.

haha!  Thank you so much for that background.  I love that there was this funny back-and-forth between Elvis and Darren.  They have an easy, bantering kind of chemistry.  Speaking of terminology that one uses in interviews, Elvis is the perfect example of how he consistently tries to frame things in a positive light.  I remember the first time Darren was doing a media blitz for the first Elsie Fest, that Elvis often re-framed Darren's words a bit by stressing how successful and amazing Elsie Fest is going to be (not hopefully will be).   At the same time, although I think "interview skills" can be a huge boost for how an artist represents his work, I also realize that  Darren has got to be over-the-moon happy about releasing their music (as well as tired from all the excitement and the performance on Wednesday night), so I can understand if he does not always choose the most ideal words (as long as he continues to improve in terms of interviews; I know they are very challenging).

DaisiesAndLilies wrote:One thing I forgot: Every Single Night has some familiar-sounding studio singers in the background. I think that's what Darren was working on with Tim Davis back in August.
I was so wondering about the Tim Davis connection.  And color me impressed with your ear, DAL!  Thanks for sharing that.  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From dailydarrennews:

The iHeartRadio performance of their Lost Boys Life EP:  :happy face oh yeah dance! clapping hands

March 10, 2017

iHeartRadio: Computer Games
A brilliant live performance from Computer Games ft. Darren Criss in our NYC Office!
dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum