Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

-
Please feel free to post about Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015.   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Darren's Music and Musical Performances"), please let me know.  GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 3308115737

Important Message
I'm not posting videos of Darren performing when he is a guest performer, especially at the more formal concerts, because of the copyright policy of the site (Forumotion) that hosts this forum.   Also, I will respect when the owner of a video asks not to have her/his video re-posted.   GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 3308115737

-

Last edited by Poppy on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

Darren's 2015 concerts and musical performances:

March 21, 2015.  Gleek Reunion, acoustic concert.  Paris.

September 27, 2015.  Elsie Fest.  At the JBL Live Concert venue at Pier 97, NYC. 2-9 pm.

October 26, 2015.  Dramatists Guild Fund:  Lucky Stars Gala.  NYC.

October 30, 2015.  Broadway at the Nourse (with Seth Rudetsky).  San Francisco, CA. 

-

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

Gleek Reunion, with Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, Becca Tobin, Jacob Artist, Mark Salling.   Paris.  March 21, 2015.   (Darren gives an acoustic concert.)

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nlmkd801Rw1txcuo2o3_500
DCN

everydayiscrissmas:
The Glee Cast at the Gleek Reunion in Paris

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nm1g3dOwB21s2g1eho9_r1_500
DCN
xoresklainer:
My photos during the panel with Darren Criss and Kevin McHale at the Gleek Reunion=)
I only have a few more picuteres and then I’m done!

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nlqnfbTFRD1ri1mzuo1_500
DCN
hedwig-darren

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nlmk954ViZ1r4gxc3o1_500
DCN
guestsevents: Et voilà… C’est officiellement la fin… OU PRESQUE ! 2 surprises à suivre… #GleekReunion #GR

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nll1biFbYf1rke5cmo1_250  GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nll1biFbYf1rke5cmo2_250
DCN
Darren’s set list for the Paris Concert (x)

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

To see discussion of Elsie Fest 2015, go here:  Elsie Fest 2015

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

Dramatists Guild Fund:  Lucky Stars Gala.  NYC.   October 26, 2015.

Darren hosted and performed at the Dramatists Guild Fund's   "Lucky Stars Gala."   He performed a medley of two songs from "The Prince of Egypt":  "The River Lullaby" and "All I Ever Wanted." 

That's Stephen Schwartz who is giving Darren a hug. 
GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww33vivhF1r4gxc3o3_1280

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww33vivhF1r4gxc3o7_1280

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww33vivhF1r4gxc3o4_1280

DCN

[UHQ] Darren Criss hosting and performing at the Dramatists Guild Fund’s Gala: ‘Great Writers Thank Their Lucky Stars’ at Gotham Hall on October 26, 2015 in New York City.
Source

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww2g3gxw51r4gxc3o1_1280

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww2g3gxw51r4gxc3o3_1280
DCN
[UHQ] Darren Criss performing at the Dramatists Guild Fund’s Gala: ‘Great Writers Thank Their Lucky Stars’ at Gotham Hall on October 26, 2015 in New York City.

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww4tudNzQ1r4gxc3o1_500

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww4tudNzQ1r4gxc3o2_1280
DCN
Jenna Ushkowitz and Darren Criss at the DGF’s Lucky Stars Gala

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nwv71j02Zt1r4gxc3o3_r2_500
DCN
[UHQ] Kristin Chenoweth and Darren Criss attend the Dramatists Guild Fund’s Gala: ‘Great Writers Thank Their Lucky Stars’ at Gotham Hall on October 26, 2015 in New York City.

Another pic with Stephen Schwartz, along with Mia
GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nww1l3v5zs1r4gxc3o1_500
DCN
[HQ] DGF’s Lucky Stars Gala | October 26, 2015.

Some very nice words from BroadwayGirlNYC (aka Laura Heywood) about Darren as a person, the host, and his performance.  Click here:   Video/DCN

Video of Darren's interview with Laura:

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

-

Broadway at the Nourse (with Seth Rudetsky).  San Francisco, CA.  October 30, 2015. 

Darren performed a series of Broadway songs, along with "I Left My Heart in San Francisco."

Set list:

Broadway Baby
Where is Love
Ya Got Trouble
If I Were a Rich Man
Sincere
A New town is a Blue Town
Welcome Home
Wicked Little Town
Where or When
I Left My Heart in San Franciscol

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nx2n87s39u1r4gxc3o1_500
Broadway at the Nourse |
Source

A pic with his high school friends, who joined him in a barber shop quartet performance of "Sincere."
GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nx7hftL3nZ1r4gxc3o1_500
Broadway at the Nourse | October 30, 2015

The link to the above photo is to an article by St. Ignatius.  :happy face

A cute excerpt:

Review by St. Ignatius College Preparatory wrote:
An alumnus both of SI's theatre department and ACT's Young Conservatory, Criss performed to benefit the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, Project Open Hand and the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus.

The night proved a tribute to his hometown — he ended the show with "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" — and SI. He gave his classmates several shout-outs and even invited two classmates on stage — Leoul Samson '05 (below left) and Chris McGuire '04 (second from left). The three of them, along with Rudetsky, sang "Sincere" from The Music Man, which the three former Wildcats sang as part of the barbershop quartet back in 2004 for SI's spring musical. (Nick Garcia '05, who played in the orchestra for Darren's musicals, is on the right.)

Criss also opened the night by pointing to his red and blue socks, proclaiming that he was wearing his high school colors, and he ended the show with a spirited "Go 'Cats!" He praised SI's theatre program as great preparation for his college drama program at the University of Michigan and for his career.

After the show, Criss met backstage with SI art teacher Katie Wolf (who designed many of the sets over the years for SI's plays) and with former SI director Peter Devine '66, whom Criss praised at the Tony Awards earlier this year as being an inspirational mentor. Criss then went to an after-show party with many of his classmates, former faculty, family and friends, including Meredith Cecchin Galvin '97 and Dave Lorentz.

Criss also sang "If I Were a Rich Man," from Fiddler on the Roof. He played the role of Tevye at SI and also noted that the musical will be reprised on Broadway in the coming months, directed by fellow SI grad Bartlett Sher '77.

-siprep.org

A nice review from UC Berkeley site:

Review by The Daily Californian wrote:
Darren Criss busts out Broadway chops at Nourse Theater

But as a trained performer — he mentioned that he studied “straight theater” in college — Criss is incomparably mutable, able to quickly embody each of the characters he portrayed through song that night.

In one moment, Criss was a frantic and frustrated Harold Hill, stumbling through the panic-riddled “Ya Got Trouble” from “The Music Man.” Minutes later, he was a member of the barbershop quartet of the same musical, calling upon two of his high school buddies to perform a swelling acapella rendition of “Sincere.”

He was loose and emphatic as Tevye from “Fiddler on the Roof,” effortlessly slipping back into the role he played during his senior year of high school at St. Ignatius College Preparatory. His faux Yiddish accent was just the right amount of cheesy. His shoulder-shaking shimmies and shockingly accurate chicken squawks sent the crowd into a frenzy.

The night, however, was not so much a homecoming celebration of Criss’ talent, but rather a showcase of his extreme gratitude and unwavering humility. He spent much of his time calling out all the San Francisco-based theater companies that he was a part of, and he expressed his nervousness that his parents and teachers were in the audience.

Criss’ tender vocal tones found rest in “Wicked Little Town,” from his latest Broadway foiree, “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.” Following that performance, expressed his shock and gratitude in being able to book roles on Broadway to begin with.

“I had no idea voices like mine had a place on Broadway,” he said sincerely. Criss noted that he always felt his voice was more suited for pop or rock music, despite growing up in the world of musical theater.

The duo ended the show with a rendition of “Where or When,” a track from the musical “Babes in Arms,” and Criss’ audition song for “Glee.” Afterwards, Rudetsky returned to the stage for the anticipated encore. He threw the sheet music binder off the piano stand then motioned to Criss, who reappeared to take his rightful seat behind the keys.

The audience let out a collective sigh of awe as Criss crooned the opening line of “I Left My Heart in San Francisco,” and the love song proved to be the perfect way to end the night. After Criss had performed as many different men (and women) throughout the course of the night, he was finally returning to the role he was born to play — San Francisco native Darren Criss behind the piano, performing on stage in his own hometown.

-The Daily Californian

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

BROADWAY AT THE NOURSE (October 30, 2015)

I am so glad that I went to San Francisco for my first Darren concert!  I sat 3rd row from the stage, pretty much right  where Darren and Seth sat for part of the night. A producer of "Broadway at the Nourse" came out and said the series is beginning with the amazing Darren Criss!  He talked about the three organizations that the concert series will benefit (San Francisco AIDS Foundation, Project Open Hand, and San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus).  When Darren wasn't performing a song, he and Seth would sit down on two chairs and Seth would interview Darren, which would segue into songs, primarily Broadway songs.  

Darren looked handsome, so much more handsome in person than on the TV screen.    Darren's parents were there (although I wasn't so lucky as to see them) and he said many of his teachers were there too.   Darren was on very good behavior, mentioning that he made a deal with his dad about not cursing at the concert, which he succeeded in doing (much to my disappointment, since I find his cursing amusing). 

Some of the songs were songs he had sung before in his life, as audition songs (for "Fanny" as a child, or for "Glee"), in musical productions during high school, or on Broadway ("Wicked Little Town" from "Hedwig and the Angry Inch").  But some of the songs were songs that  Darren liked that he had not yet performed.  

"Broadway Baby" (the first song) made me smile because of its connection to Glee, and because at one point Darren sang something like "I don't know the next words."  Seth told him just to be cute, which caused Darren to smile, as he proceeded with the song.   As Darren continued to sing, Seth shouted something like "it's working!"  (Darren being cute.)   The audience laughed.    I loved his version of "Where Is Love," his very first audition song, that he sang as a kid.  

I was impressed with Darren singing ten songs, all of which were Broadway songs, except "I Left My Heart in San Francisco."   Seth had mentioned that they only had one rehearsal, and that they did not have time to rehearse "Broadway Baby" even one full time (with Darren saying that happened just about one hour before the concert started).   "Ya Got Trouble" (from The Music Man) had an incredible amount of words that were spoken/sung at a very fast pace, so not an easy song.  A lot of fun intonation on Darren's part during that song, which you can hear from the audios/videos. 

I loved "If I Were A Rich Man," from Fiddler on the Roof, which I recognized.  He was so fun to watch during that song:  Shaking his shoulders, moving his hips in that Tevye way, and his enunciation of the lyrics and accent being so pronounced.   He was so animated and entertaining during that performance.    Darren also connected this concert to another recent event, the Dramatists Guild Fund's "Lucky Stars" event in NYC, where Sheldon Harnick, a legendary lyricist who co-wrote the songs in Fiddler on the Roof, introduced Darren at the "Lucky Stars" event.  Darren shared with us that his 18-year old self (who played Tevye during his high school senior year) would not have imagined some day he would shake hands with Mr. Harnick. 

He sang "Sincere" with his two high school buddies and Seth.  The harmonies were very pretty.   Darren was very complimentary of one of his friends, who sang the beginning part alone (and who had a very nice voice).   I remember thinking how cool that Darren was still in touch with two of his high school pals, and also thinking that it was so Darren-like to praise publicly a friend for his performance.

Seth had seemed surprised that Darren went from playing a lead role (which Darren tried to minimize) in "Chess" during his sophomore year in high school, to being part of the barbershop quartet/chorus in "The Music Man"  the next year in his junior year.  I remember being impressed, because Darren stated he was a person who didn't feel the desire to do leading roles, that doing "cool" or interesting roles was what he was interested in.  He said something to the effect that the most important things are an interesting character and an interesting story.    (I had suspected that this was how Darren felt.   I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, Darren performed in a musical, play, film or a TV show where he played a supporting character because he found the character to be interesting, even if the role was not the lead role.  I think Darren would be happy to play the leading man in a rom-com if he liked how the character was written, but that he wouldn't limit his roles to "leading man" roles.)    What made me laugh was that immediately after Darren made that statement, Seth quipped something like "you did Hedwig, dear."  The whole audience just laughed!  

Darren talked about how U of Michigan was perfect for him, that he loved that he was part of a small theater community at his college, that his theater department class consisted of a very small group of people in a respected university of  30,000 plus students.    This also struck me as being so "Darren, " how he seems to love being part of a small, intimate group or a small community (like StarKids), but that he also loves the diversity of interests (such as in different types of classes, or as in a wide range of extracurricular activities) that a large university offers.    He talked about how he really loved taking different types of classes, which surprised Seth.  Darren then clarified that didn't mean he did his homework and he also said he got terrible grades, which made the audience laugh. 

Darren also mentioned that he wasn't part of the musical theater department at University of Michigan (like Andy Mientus was), that his department was referred to as the "straight theater" department (as in pure theater/non-musical theater) , which caused both Seth and the audience to laugh.  He said he remembered thinking they should change that reference, although he has no idea if they ever did or not. 

There were a few parts of the night where I remember thinking this is so "Darren."  At one point, he talked about how he never thought he would do a role in musical theater because of his voice, much less doing a role in a musical production on Broadway.  He shared that when he graduated from U of Michigan, he didn't believe voices "like his" had a place in the Broadway world.  That tugged at my heartstrings.  

He then shared that he would be terrified, during his classes at the Youth Conservatory (his ACT classes when he was young), that sometimes there would be a kid with a beautiful vibrato.  He told us he would feel so embarrassed, because he never had a vibrato.   Darren proceeded to show us how he felt as a kid in his YC classes, acting out how he would shrink in his chair, and look small and embarrassed, which really made me a little sad for his younger self.  Darren said this would really bug him.  He went on to say that at some point, though, he shifted from feeling embarrassed about his voice not being that typical Broadway voice, to a philosophy that if one could sing a song in his/her own way, if one could "do you" (ie, be himself or herself), as well as if one could put his or her heart into a song performance, then hopefully the song would make sense.  I found it really touching and inspirational, how Darren struggled with accepting his "limitations," until he accepted his "difference" as a strength, by emphasizing that which made him unique and interesting as an individual--combined with showing how much heart and emotion he puts into a song performance--resulted in him finding a way to make his performances shine.

Earlier in the evening, Darren had said to Seth that he always tried to be different or weird when he was younger.  (This just struck me as being very Darren-like, being so quirky and different, and how he had said in various ways at various times, that which made us different made us strong.)  Seth pushed him by asking why.  Darren had to think about why, and eventually he said life was too short, that he didn't want to be boring.  He also referred to this as being a limited kind of rebellion when he was younger.   

He also mentioned how his parents were wonderfully supportive parents, who told their kids to do what they wanted, and that they (his parents ) would support his brother and him.

He stated that whenever he doesn't get a part/role, he doesn't take it personally.  He realizes he simply wasn't right for that part, and he just keeps going, which I interpreted to mean that he doesn't let it get him down.  (Again, struck me as very "Darren.")

When talking about getting the role of Finch in H2$, he said that he looks at the character, whether the character is interesting to him, before he looks at the music/the songs.    (Very "Darren" again.)

Regarding Elsie Fest, he said that Elsie Fest is going to be an annual thing, from here on out!   When Darren asked if anyone in the audience had been to Elsie Fest, there were some folks who had!  

I know some of Darren's fans may not necessarily be big Broadway fans.  (I confess I am not that familiar with Broadway productions/songs, and the same goes for my husband, who BTW said he really enjoyed the concert.)  But if Darren ever does something like this again, I would encourage others to consider going, if they can.  To both my husband and me, the evening felt really intimate (and that theater was bigger than the Belasco, which surprised me.  I think it seats almost 1700, versus the Belasco's approximate 1000).   I heard many of Darren's stories already, but there were some things I hadn't really heard directly from Darren, that I found to be very personal of Darren to share with his fans.  

Also, even if Broadway isn't necessarily a big interest to you, the way Darren performs many of these Broadway songs really will create some lasting memories.  For instance, he performed the hell out of "If I Were A Rich Man," one of the highlights of the night!   As always, I love listening to Darren singing the more emotional songs.  Whether it is a Broadway song, or a contemporary pop ballad, if the song requires emotion, then you will hear Darren deliver his heart through his voice.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nx4abgMDrj1t5btl3o1_250  GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nx4abgMDrj1t5btl3o2_250

GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nx4abgMDrj1t5btl3o3_250  GR -  Darren's Concerts and Other Musical Performances for 2015 Tumblr_nx4abgMDrj1t5btl3o4_250
dreamingdc:
If I Were a Rich Man (Broadway at the Nourse, October 30, 2015)

gleekto
This performance was astonishing. So the bottom 2 gifs - Tevye dancing as Jewish men do - Tevye is an older tzitzit-wearing, traditional Jewish father of three marriage-age daughters. He is reaching to God. He is not a sex symbol. Other than a highschool play, Tevye would not be played by a 28 yo. 
Darren is obviously not in costume, not in a play, and is, in fact, casually performing on a stage in front of fanpeople. So Darren breaks into this dance twice in the performance - the first time is very close to the beginning of the song and it’s met with woops and woohoos which isn’t really the vibe of the situation but it doesn’t distract him. Then he does it at the end and the audience is in silence until it breaks when someone woops at the end. It’s like you could feel that he got the audience there - without any other context than his voice and his facial expressions and his body language - where probably a chunk of the audience doesn’t even really know the story.
What a monster talent. Yay for the career that we have yet to see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum