Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 35]

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post your comments regarding Versace:  American Crime Story in this thread.

To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply."

If you would like me to start a new thread (Topic) that is within the Category of "Darren's TV Projects," please let me know.

Info about where you can watch The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story:

Premiere dates and networks for watching ACS Versace:

Darren Criss Army wrote:
ACS Versace Premiere Schedule

We apologize if anything is missing or incorrect, but this is what we’ve got compiled for the #ACSVersace premiere schedule. 

(Sorry, still no info for UK/Australia. Check if iTunes/Amazon are available in places without an air date.)

Thanks @ricky_martin for much of the info! 

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_inline_p2pt2wfUtO1tz53qh_1280

And Darren Criss Army previously had stated:

Premiere date and viewing info for ACS Versace in Mexico/Latinoamerica on Canal FX_LA  (@Canalfx_la )

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_inline_p2ivudDsAp1tz53qh_540

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_p2ffnkLs2B1wpi2k2o2_540

via dcriss-archive

In addition: 

United Kingdom

(no date) On BBC Two 

France
(no date) On Canal +

What?!!!!   Darren is cast in Ryan Murphy's Versace,:  American Crime Story!!!  

:very happy :guitar jamming  

Where is everyone?!   Woo Hoo!  Way to go Darren!  Thank you, Ryan Murphy!!!

From dailydarrennews:

TV Line wrote:
Darren Criss Cast as Andrew Cunanan in FX's Versace: American Crime Story

2/15/17

Darren Criss is fast becoming TV’s go-to villain.

The Glee alum — who was recently cast as the Big Bad Music Meister in The CW’s two-part Supergirl/The Flash musical event — has signed on to star in FX’s forthcoming Versace-themed edition of American Crime Story as serial killer Andrew Cunnan.

[. . . ]

As previously reported, the 10-episode third season of Ryan Murphy’s Emmy-winning anthology will center on the July 1997 assassination of the legendary designer on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion by Cunanan. One week later, Cunanan would take his own life. The season will be based on the book Vulgar Favors by Vanity Fair writer Maureen Orth.

[. . . ]

Production on Versace: American Crime Story begins next month and will likely be completed ahead of the franchise’s Katrina-themed second season. The Katrina edition, however, will still air before the Versace installment (although both will likely be held until 2018).

Aw, Darren's friend, Caitlin Brody (Senior Editor, TV @ EW) sending a proud message to Darren:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olg5d3ZKgn1uetdyxo1_500
cbroday To quote the great Aubrey Graham, “I’m so, I’m so, I’m so, I’m so, I’m so proud of you.” Congrats @darrencriss on starring in American Crime Story Versace! You’re my hero.

This is fantastic news!!  So proud of Darren!  So grateful to Ryan Murphy!! 

Lin, Lilikoiluv, dusty, DaisiesAndLilies--where are you guys?  Jeremy, now is the time to use the dancing banana smiley!  I'll wait for you to do the honors!

More media coverage (from DarrenCrissArmy):

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Darren Criss, Edgar Ramirez to Star in "Versace: American Crime Story'

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Ramirez_criss 

2/15/17

Ryan Murphy has found the two key stars for the third season of FX anthology American Crime Story.

Set to star in Versace: American Crime Story are Glee grad Darren Criss and The Bourne Ultimatum's Edgar Ramirez, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Versace — which will come after the franchise's second season, Katrina — will explore the July 1997 assassination of legendary designer Gianni Versace. His killer, Andrew Cunanan, committed suicide eight days later as Miami Dade police were on the verge of capturing the serial killer behind five slayings. The 10-episode third season will likely run in 2018, following quickly on Katrina's heels.

Versace, from Fox 21 and FX Productions, will be based on the book Vulgar Favors by Vanity Fair writer Maureen Orth, with Tom Rob Smith (London Spy) set to write the first two and multiple subsequent episodes.

Ramirez will play Versace; Criss is set as Cunanan. Production will begin in March and run concurrently with Katrina, which also recently began casting with Annette Bening set to star alongside returning players Courtney B. Vance, Sarah Paulson and Cuba Gooding Jr.

The casting brings Criss back into the Murphy fold following a brief gig on American Horror Story and his breakout role as Blaine on Fox's megahit Glee. Most recently, he has a role in The CW's Supergirl/Flash musical crossover. Versace marks Criss' first series regular TV gig following Glee. He also was poised to star in a workplace comedy that was in development at Fox. Repped by CAA, Hyphenate Creative Management and Hansen Jacobson, he most recently starred in Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway and is reprising the role in the show's Los Angeles production.

There is mention in the THR article about Royalties, but it's unclear if there is any new info about the project.  THR article also is a bit off in that Darren already has reprised the role of Hedwig, not "is reprising" the role, in the Los Angeles production.

Last edited by Poppy on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 am; edited 15 times in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Yea!

I'm in a hurry this morning but it's indeed great news ! Darren coming back in a TV show for a whole season to play a vilain (a real one, not a comic vilain like MM) !

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

There's that dancing banana!  Thanks, Jeremy!

Jeremy wrote:The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 3325219037

I'm in a hurry this morning but it's indeed great news ! Darren coming back in a TV show for a whole season to play a vilain (a real one, not a comic vilain like MM) !

Yes, for a whole season, and playing a serial killer!   This is a wonderful opportunity for Darren!     Sooo great!

Also from Darren Criss Army:

Variety wrote:
Edgar Ramirez, Darren Criss to Star in Ryan Murphy's 'Versace: American Crime Story' on FX

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Edgar-ramirez-darren-criss

2/15/17

Edgar Ramirez and Darren Criss are the first stars to officially sign onto Ryan Murphy’s “Versace: American Crime Story,” Variety has learned.

“Versace” will mark the third installment of FX’s “American Crime Story” anthology, following the award-winning “People V. O.J. Simpson” and the upcoming second season that will revolve around the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

“Versace” will explore the murder of Gianni Versace, who was killed on the steps of his home in Miami Beach by serial murderer Andrew Cunanan, who killed five people that year and then killed himself on a house boat, eight days after killing Versace.

Ramirez will play Gianni Versace, and Criss will play Andrew Cunanan.

. . . For Criss, the series marks a reunion for the “Glee” alum and Murphy. He also appeared in a few episodes of Murphy’s “American Horror Story.”

No other casting has been announced at this point. Despite tabloid rumors, Murphy told Variety earlier this year that Lady Gaga will not play Donatella Versace, telling us, “When you’re going to do a show like Versace, it’s a five-month commitment, it’s a very big show, we’re shooting it all over the world. So I just don’t think with her schedule, I knew that it would never had worked. But I would love to work with her on something in the future.”

The Versace-centric season will be based on the book “Vulgar Favors” by Vanity Fair writer Maureen Orth. Tom Rob Smith will write various episodes and serve as executive producer with Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, and Brad Falchuk. Fox 21 will produce.

“Versace” begins production next month, but is not expected to air until 2018. “Katrina” — which recently cast Annette Bening — will also air in 2018, but before the “Versace” season.

[. . . ]

Criss is repped by CAA, Ricky Rollins of Hyphenate Creative Management and Adam Kaller at  Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush, Kaller & Gellman L.L.P.

I'm just very happy for Darren, and proud of him.  I'm also very grateful to Ryan Murphy.  He has kept Darren in mind for his projects, and I really appreciate that loyalty to Darren and the esteem that he holds for Darren.

(Note:  Production/filming begins in March/next month and is a 5-month commitment, which take us to the end of July.    This means that if Darren's pilot for Royalties is picked up by Fox, that filming for the Royalties pilot partially would overlap with production of Versace.   Assuming Royalties, the pilot/series gets picked up by FOX, Darren still could produce the series and could star in later episodes (as well as could write music for the series).

Such great news about Daren being cast in Versace!!!   Ryan Murphy has been doing so well and receiving acclaim for his work, and it's wonderful that Darren will be working with him again on a respected series!

Ok, I gotta go for now, but I will return! :happy face

I hope that Royalties didn't get shelved. Also, I think that Ryan may not be involved as much with Versace season since they'll be filming in several locations versus Katrina's production staying in New Orleans. He better act his little heart out!

:bravo star

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi DaisiesAndLilies!  :hello 

DaisiesAndLilies wrote:I hope that Royalties didn't get shelved. Also, I think that Ryan may not be involved as much with Versace season since they'll be filming in several locations versus Katrina's production staying in New Orleans.
Yes, I also hope that Royalties didn't get shelved.  Cross our fingers we find out more in the next few weeks.  :fingers crossed 

From Darren Criss Army:

According to the video in the article by E!Online,  the first 5 episodes of Versace (which will be season 3) will be filmed, and then because Annette Bening is in Katrina (which will be season 2) and is only available for a certain time, it sounds like they will move to Katrina.  I'm not exactly sure, but it sounds like they will get a separate crew to finish up Versace.   But it sounds like Ryan is at least available to be involved with Versace for the first half (first 5 episodes)of filming.    I am having trouble embedding the video here, so click on the link to see the video.  See point 0:10 and on: http://www.eonline.com/news/829871/darren-criss-has-joined-versace-american-crime-story-as-a-serial-killer

DaisiesAndLilies wrote: He better act his little heart out!

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 198521321 The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 2587611539

Don't worry, DaisiesAndLilies.  He will bring it.  thumbs up

These pics were in the article by E!Online. I can see some rough similarity. 

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Rs_1024x759-170215183923-1024.Darren-Criss-Andrew-Cunanan.ms.021517
Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic, FBI
eonline

According to Wikipedia, and the Youtube video that dailydarrennews posted on their site, Andrew Cunanan, was part Filipino.  His mother was Italian-American and his father was Filipino-American.  Note:  Warning!  I have not seen the Youtube video yet, so I'm not sure if there are graphic images or details on the video.  Do not watch if you are sensitive to such images/details.  

Vulture wrote:
Darren Criss and Edgar Ramirez Join Versace: American Crime Story in Major Roles

2/17/17

Ryan Murphy has made his first major casting moves for the upcoming Versace: American Crime Story. According to Variety, Edgar Ramirez will play title character, Gianni Versace, and Darren Criss will fill the role of his killer, Andrew Cunanan. The choices seem pretty phenomenal, actually. Give Criss (who Vulture totally predicted for the role) a clean shave and put the right eye glasses on him and he’ll fit right into Cunanan’s skin. He’s even got the right eyebrows for it . . . This installment of the American Crime anthology will start filming next month, but isn’t slated to air until next year. For those keeping score at home, Versace and the Katrina season of ACS are both scheduled for 2018, with Katrina coming first.

More pics:
EW.com wrote:
American Crime Story: Edgar Ramirez, Darren Criss to star in Versace installlment

2/15/17

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Versace

Deadline wrote:
Edgar Ramirez & Darren Criss To Star In 'Versace: Ameerican Crime Story' on FX

2/15/17

Versace examines the shocking July 1997 assassination of Gianni Versace (Ramirez) on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion by sociopath and serial killer Andrew Cunanan (Criss). Eight days later, Cunanan killed himself in a house boat as the Miami Dade police force moved in to capture him. Versace was his fifth and final victim.

Versace, from Fox 21, is based on the book “Vulgar Favors” by Vanity Fair writer Maureen Orth. Tom Rob Smith (London Spy) is writing the first two and multiple subsequent episodes and Murphy, who received an Emmy nomination for directing the opening episode of People v. O.J. Simpson, will direct the first hour. Versace will begin production next month in Los Angeles and Miami, and will shoot before Season 2, Katrina: American Crime Story, which will air first.

Also back for Versace are casting directors Nicole Daniels and Courtney Bright, who won an Emmy for The People v. O.J. Simpson.   American Crime Story’s core producing team — Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson and Brad Falchuk — all  Emmy winners for People v. O.J. Simpson as Best Limited Series — executive produce Versace alongside Smith.

From dailydarrennews:

myamazingfriendmyonetruelove:
    Andy’s reaction to Darren being cast in ACS/Versace is all of us!
February 16 2017   (Source)

Mia showing her support of and happiness for Darren:  :happy face
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olgd0ajo7i1uetdyxo1_500

CNN Entertainment

Poppy wrote:Lin, Lilikoiluv, dusty, DaisiesAndLilies--where are you guys?  Jeremy, now is the time to use the dancing banana smiley!  I'll wait for you to do the honors!

I WAS SLEEPING, THIS CAME OUT 10 MINUTES AFTER I WENT TO BED!!!!!

excited
So exciting! This was another thing I secretly had my fingers crossed for. I had seen Darren mentioned for the role in a few places and thought there was a decent chance since Ryan likes to cast actors he worked with before and Cunanan was half Filipino. I can definitely see the resemblance in some pictures.

excited excited excited

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Imo, there's indeed a resemblance between Darren and him.

I'm talking about a physical resemblance, of course :amused

8The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Empty Versace: American Crime Story Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin wrote:
I WAS SLEEPING, THIS CAME OUT 10 MINUTES AFTER I WENT TO BED!!!!!

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 3173298380
So exciting! This was another thing I secretly had my fingers crossed for. I had seen Darren mentioned for the role in a few places and thought there was a decent chance since Ryan likes to cast actors he worked with before and Cunanan was half Filipino. I can definitely see the resemblance in some pictures.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 3173298380 The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 3173298380 The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 3173298380

Lin!   You suspected this too?   You are so good at keeping your eyes open for anything that may be remotely Darren-related.  Kudos to you!   Yes, Ryan tends to be loyal to actors who he has worked with before and admires, which I think is a wonderful quality.  I give Ryan loads of credit for recognizing Cunanan's racial heritage and casting an actor with similar ancestry.  As a person of color, I appreciate that deeply.  Representation matters. 

I know Ryan Murphy made the news fairly recently because he is making a real effort toward the goal of diversity among TV directors:

Rollling Stone wrote:
Ryan Murphy Launches Director Diversity Foundation

2/3/16

Ryan Murphy, the creator of Glee, American Horror Story and Scream Queens, will head a new foundation aimed at significantly increasing the number of female and minority directors on his series. The foundation, dubbed Half, will be run through Murphy's 20th Century Fox Television-based production company.

[. . . ]  Only 16 percent of all television show episodes during the 2014-15 season were helmed by women, while 18 percent were directed by minorities. By the end of 2016, Murphy hopes to ensure that at least 50 percent of episodes from his three current TV series – American Horror Story, American Crime Story and Scream Queens – are directed by women or minority candidates, which he defines as "people of color or members of the LGBTQ community."

"The industry has always been about, 'You come to us,'" Murphy added. "There's not a lot of effort and inclusion, and I’m saying, 'No, we're going to go to you.'" Half will launch extensive outreach efforts at colleges and universities starting this year, with candidates linking up with mentors within Ryan Murphy Productions.

In the case of the role of Andrew Cunanan, it looks like Ryan Murphy is also doing his part to cast a person of color in the role.  Hats off to Ryan for doing that.  Asian actors, actors of other minority racial groups, women actors, and actors who are LGBTQ, appreciate it when show runners do their part to diversify cast members in TV shows (as well as in film and on Broadway/theater).   And of course, it means so much to people in the various minority communities, the LGBTQ community, and women, to see diverse representation in the entertainment industry.

Jerremy wrote:Imo, there's indeed a resemblance between Darren and him.

I'm talking about a physical resemblance, of course The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 3295213406

haha.  Yes, of course, only physical resemblance.  You are so funny, Jeremy.   This is going to be so interesting.  Because Darren is on the one extreme end (good, kind people) and Andrew Cunanan is on the other extreme end (sick, sadistic, violent).   Darren is going to have to study up on the psychology of serial killers, and of Andrew's life and psychological makeup in particular, as well as possibly doing homework of the dark world of S & M.   I sincerely hope he tries hard to maintain a balance during the five months of filming, and makes sure to make time to see Mia, his friends, and his family as much as possible.  

So Gleekto and @supahero76have found an article in Vanity Fair, written by the same person ( Maureen Orth) who wrote the book (the 1999 book "Vulgar Favors"), which Ryan is basing Versace:  American Crime Story on.   I haven't read the Vanity Fair article that Gleekto linked to yet, but I skimmed it very quickly.  I think it appears that book  is focused mostly on Cunanan, but also of course, with focus on the victims, primarily on fashion designer Gianni Versace as a celebrity, and some background  information of different cultures involved (South Beach/Miami, San Diego's gay society, etc.) and the world of S & M.   So at the least, it looks like Darren's role as Andrew Cunanan will be as a co-lead, even possibly as the lead, of Versace:  American Crime Story.

gleekto wrote:
The Killer's Trail

All credit to my friend and secret knower-of-all-things @supahero76 who immediately sent me this 1997 Vanity Fair article about Andrew Cunanan’s trial…To give you a sense of the man Darren is playing (and click on the link for a much fuller excellent overview): 

“Until recently, Andrew Cunanan, 27, was just a gay gigolo down on his luck in San Diego. A voracious reader with a reported genius-level I.Q., he coveted the lifestyles of the rich and famous. He tracked possible sugar daddies with care and would say with a pout that he didn’t know whether to fly to New York or Paris for dinner. He could describe the texture and delicacy of the blowfish he claimed to have eaten at an $850 Japanese lunch. Or he could say of a work of art what year it had been painted, who had owned it through the centuries, what churches it had hung in. His wit was biting, his memory photographic. Cunanan’s story is a singular study in promise crushed.”

-gleekto

Here is the link to the article in Vanity Fair:  http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1997/09/cunanan199709

DaisiesandLilies wrote:I hope that Royalties didn't get shelved. Also, I think that Ryan may not be involved as much with Versace season since they'll be filming in several locations versus Katrina's production staying in New Orleans. He better act his little heart out!

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 198521321 The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story 2587611539

Hi DaisiesAndLilies, I think I missed one of your points that you made yesterday.  Sorry about that.  Yes, because Ryan said that filming of Versace takes place at different locations, it's not clear how directly involved Ryan will be.  It seems he is available for the first half of the filming (the first 5 episodes) of Versace, so I hope he has significant involvement in the first half of the show.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  :happy face

9The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Empty TEMPORARY TEST THREAD Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

From DarrenCrissArmy:

Pink News wrote:
Glee's Darren Criss to play gay Versace serial killer

2/16/17

Former Glee star Darren Criss will be playing Andrew Cunanan, the serial killer who murdered Gianni Versace, on American Crime Story.

[. . . .]

The third season, set to air in 2018, will focus on the case of Cunanan, who went on a three-month killing spree in 1997, in which he murdered five people including fashion designer Gianni Versace before taking his own life.

The motive for the killings was never clear, though newspapers made much of the sexuality of the openly gay serial killer, who lived in San Francisco’s Castro District and frequented local gay bars.

[. . . ]

The show will draw from Maureen Orth’s 1999 book Vulgar Favors, which covers the murder of Versace and the resulting manhunt for Cunanan, attempting to offer a psychological profile of the killer.

US network FX accelerated production after reading the first script and clearly being impressed by it. It’s expected that showrunner Murphy will direct the first episode.

Versace, born in 1946, founded the iconic fashion house that boasts his name, and ran the company until his death . .  .

American Crime Story’s first series, The People v. O.J. Simpson, picked up 10 Emmy Awards this year, including Outstanding Miniseries.

Some clarification from Mia (who is a Hedhead, aka, a long-time fan of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, just as Darren is):

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh8o3YWoY1ubd9qxo1_500
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh8o3YWoY1ubd9qxo2_500
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh8o3YWoY1ubd9qxo3_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh8o3YWoY1ubd9qxo4_500

I saw that DarrenCrissArmy has posted these earlier:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olg4jmIx431ubd9qxo1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olgtq7NPpu1ubd9qxo1_1280

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olgtrh0z5X1ubd9qxo1_1280

From dailydarrennews:

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo1_250  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo2_250

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo3_250  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo4_250

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo5_250  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo7_250

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo6_250  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo8_250

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo9_250  The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0apOhcE1uetdyxo10_250

Variety.com | TVLine.com | THR | CNN | EW.com | Deadline | The Wrap | Yahoo TV | E!News | CNN Philippines

dailydarrennews

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo2_500
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo7_400

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo1_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo3_500
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo5_500
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo4_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo6_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo8_r1_500
The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olh0ucgFHg1uetdyxo9_r1_500

E! online TV | Broadwayworld.com
via dailydarrennews

Note:  Jarett Wieselman works with BuzzFeed.

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total

10The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Empty Versace: American Crime Story Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Please feel free to post your comments regarding Versace:  American Crime Story in this thread.

To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply."

If you would like me to start a new thread (Topic) that is within the Category of "Darren's TV Projects," please let me know.

Poppy wrote:Lin!   You suspected this too?   You are so good at keeping your eyes open for anything that may be remotely Darren-related.  Kudos to you!   Yes, Ryan tends to be loyal to actors who he has worked with before and admires, which I think is a wonderful quality.  I give Ryan loads of credit for recognizing Cunanan's racial heritage and casting an actor with similar ancestry.  As a person of color, I appreciate that deeply.  Representation matters.

I know Ryan Murphy made the news fairly recently because he is making a real effort toward the goal of diversity among TV directors:

I wouldn't say "suspected", it was just (plausible) wishful thinking. Razz And I don't systematically look for Darren news, I mostly rely on DDN. I just scroll through his Twitter mentions when I'm bored and sometimes come across something I find interesting that wasn't really "newsworthy".

I don't think I'll ever be able to take half the things Ryan says seriously, but it's great that he pledged to do better and is actually following through.

Obligatory question... is this what Darren cut his hair for? From Mia's tweet it sounds like he was cast a while ago, and he's never worn his hair like this again so I still think it must have been for an audition.
Spoiler:

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Even if it's just wishful thinking, I'm glad that you keep on top of many issues.   I appreciate it! 

I know some folks are cautious when it comes to what Ryan says, but like you said, it's great when someone will acknowledge they can do better, and actually tries to do so.

Thanks for reminding us about Darren's haircut.  I also am wondering if this was the reason.  It makes sense if it was for the Versace project.  But that was way back in September 2016 that he cut his hair, wasn't it?

Yes, The Haircut was about 5 months ago (where did the time go?!), but I think casting for these things has to happen a while in advance to make sure everyone's schedules work out. Ryan mentioned in an interview that they're casting the fourth season right now and shooting at the end of the year.

Poppy wrote:
*Jeremy* wrote:
Imo, there's indeed a resemblance between Darren and him.

I'm talking about a physical resemblance, of course  :amused

haha.  Yes, of course, only physical resemblance.  You are so funny, Jeremy.   This is going to be so interesting.  Because Darren is on the one extreme end (good, kind people) and Andrew Cunanan is on the other extreme end (sick, sadistic, violent).   Darren is going to have to study up on the psychology of serial killers, and of Andrew's life and psychological makeup in particular, as well as possibly doing homework of the dark world of S & M.   I sincerely hope he tries hard to maintain a balance during the five months of filming, and makes sure to make time to see Mia, his friends, and his family as much as possible.
Apparently he could be very charismatic and spoke a lot of languages. Razz But it's sure going to be interesting to see Darren in such a different role, too bad it won't air for over a year.
I think Mia had a job on Ryan's new show Feud, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was working on this as well.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lin wrote: I think casting for these things has to happen a while in advance to make sure everyone's schedules work out. Ryan mentioned in an interview that they're casting the fourth season right now and shooting at the end of the year.

Oh, I had no idea.  Thanks, Lin.  I can't believe they are casting already for Season 4 of American Crime Story. 

Lin wrote:
Apparently he could be very charismatic and spoke a lot of languages. The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Icon_razz But it's sure going to be interesting to see Darren in such a different role, too bad it won't air for over a year.
I think Mia had a job on Ryan's new show Feud, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was working on this as well.

haha!  Yes, Darren is very charismatic too, as well as speaking a lot of languages. 

Cunanan was supposed to have a high IQ;  I wouldn't be surprised if Darren also has a high IQ.

People with a large amounts charisma have this ability to sort of have people eating out of the palms of their hands (in other words, they have an ability to sort of guide how people will respond).    I can only imagine how Cunanan did it to manipulate people in a very scary and dark way.  Darren does it in a good way, to charm people.

Exhibit 1 (about Darren's charm):

Chord Overstreet and Darren Criss talk about ripping items off the choir room wall.

Source:  http://overstreetnews.tumblr.com/post/113570088732/chord-overstreet-and-darren-criss-talk-about

At first, as Amber tells her story of seeing Chord and Darren pulling off the chunks of the soundproofing wall on the Glee set, the audience and the rest of the cast is laughing at/laughing with Darren (and Chord).  But note at around point 0:55, Darren changes things, by explaining how he has created a physical reminder of his time on Glee by having this one little special red tile in a wall of black, and then sweeting expressing that he loves that.  haha!  The audience abruptly switches their gears--they go from laughing, to saying "awwww" about how Darren was being sweetly sentimental.   Yup, had them eating out of the palm of his hand.

Exhibit 2 (another example of Darren's charm):

The question is asked "who has the most game (on the Glee cast)."  At point 2:00, Lea explains the effect that Darren had on a young woman after a few minutes of meeting her.  :amused

I'm glad Darren may be seeing Mia on the set (although I wonder if she will be travelling with them when they do not fillm in Los Angeles).  When one has to get into the head of a serial killer, I would think it helps to have nearby, people you are close to, who can help keep you grounded, so that you don't stay in the head of that character who demented and ugly.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I'm a little late on posting these.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olirbwlAL91uetdyxo1_500

The Assassination of Gianni Versace:  American Crime Story Tumblr_olirbwlAL91uetdyxo2_500

A very great opportunity for Darren.  Although I have to admit I'm a somewhat apprehensive of seeing him play such a dark character, a psychopath and serial killer.   I just hope it's not too graphically violent (since I'm such a wimp when it comes to violence).  too scary 

Yes, Lin, it will be very interesting to see Darren in this role, since it is going to be such a different role.  As a spectator of the tale, I would like to see if I met this man, how I would be charmed, even attracted to his intelligence and his sense of humor, and then slowly become concerned with glimpses of the darkness inside him, and then be chilled to the core, not by the actual murder scenes, but by scenes of the character's thoughts and emotions (or lack of emotions) before and after the murders.

I'm tempted to read the book, but I'm not sure if I would stomach it very well.

And congrats to Mia for her job on Feud.  That should be fun and interesting.  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I haven't watched the first season but I don't think ACS is graphically violent. At least, not like AHS. But it must be depressing because the stories are dark and based on real facts...

Personally, I just want Darren's character to be as close as possible to the real Cunanan. If they go for a story about Versace and his killer, I just want them to do something accurate.

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Jeremy wrote:I haven't watched the first season but I don't think ACS is graphically violent. At least, not like AHS. But it must be depressing because the stories are dark and based on real facts...

Personally, I just want Darren's character to be as close as possible to the real Cunanan. If they go for a story about Versace and his killer, I just want them to do something accurate.

Thanks for your answer, Jeremy.   I'm glad the first season wasn't graphic in terms of showing violence.  But yes, since the series is based on real life events, it must be somber to watch. 

I agree, it's important that Cunanan is portrayed as closely as possible to the real-life Cunanan.  

Did anyone here watch the first season, about the O.J Simpson trial?  I was tempted to watch it, but I remember watching OJ in that "high speed chase" on the freeway, reading and watching the news about the murders, watching bits and pieces of the trial, and it was just an emotional thing for me.

Great news! Funny how we wanted him to play a villain and here he is playing one of the flash and one on AHS! I'm very intrigued to see how he tackles this!

I agree with others than there is a definite physical resemblance between him and the killer.

Poppy wrote:Thanks for your answer, Jeremy.   I'm glad the first season wasn't graphic in terms of showing violence.  But yes, since the series is based on real life events, it must be somber to watch. 

I agree, it's important that Cunanan is portrayed as closely as possible to the real-life Cunanan.  

Did anyone here watch the first season, about the O.J Simpson trial?  I was tempted to watch it, but I remember watching OJ in that "high speed chase" on the freeway, reading and watching the news about the murders, watching bits and pieces of the trial, and it was just an emotional thing for me.

I watched it last year (I was around 3 at the time it happened, so I wasn't really familiar with the real story).
The first season started after the murders already happened, but I think they did show the crime scene/murder victims. I suppose the amount of violence/blood this season depends a little bit on where in the timeline it picks up, but I really don't think the point of the show is to scare you or gross you out like AHS (that would be awful considering it's based on real people, who have living relatives and friends).

Here's an interview with Ryan from last November, he doesn't say that much but talks a little about what interests him about the story:

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi dusty.  It  is funny how we were hoping he would get a great dramatic part and get a chance to play a villain, and then he gets not one, but two opportunities.  :happy face

Thanks for the video, Lin.  I can see how Ryan is picking events that historically and socially are very large.   These events brings focus on larger social issues.  He spoke very eloquently in that video. 

Katrina was such a enormous failing by the American government, with many feeling that if the same tragedy happened to a different demographic group, that the government response would have been very different.    That seems to be echoed to  a certain degree by how Ryan feels about the law enforcement response to Cunanan targeting victims in the LGBTQ community.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 35]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum