Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss's career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elsie Fest 2016

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1default Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Please feel free to post about Elsie Fest 2016.   To post in this thread ("Topic"), please select "Post Reply" and then type your post.

If you would like me to start a new Topic (thread) that is within the Category of "Darren's Music and Musical Performances"), please let me know. 

-

2default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrrennews:

Darren was in Ft. Greene Park in Brooklyn, performing and doing some introductions of other entertainers for "Broadway in the Boros," featuring music from "Beautiful," the Broadway musical about Carole King.

He said in this interview that he will be making announcements about Elsie Fest in a week or two.  :happy face

I know he is not using the same site in NYC that he used last year (the JBL Live Concert venue at Pier 97, NYC).  A while ago, Elsie Fest had asked in a poll if folks preferred Brooklyn over a New Jersey site, with most preferring Brooklyn.   @ElsieFest   It is a smart move for him to be taking part in "Broadway in the Boros," considering that he will be hosting Elsie Fest, possibly (most likely?) somewhere in a park in Brooklyn.  Someone stated that he said the locale for Elsie Fest 2016 may be near water. 

“I’m gonna announce Elsie fest dates in a week. It’s by the water” | source

The beginning of the interview is a little amusing, because Darren didn't know she had begun filming and he was taken a bit by surprise.   Was she only using her cell to film?  Poor Darren.  Luckily, he didn't say anything awkward at the beginning, like a string of curse words.  :amused 

106.7 Lite FM With Darren Criss Brooklyn in the Boroughs.

It's fantastic that we are getting an announcement about Elsie Fest soon!  thumbs up

A nice short interview about Darren praising the program "Broadway in the Boros."    Some of what he says also applies to Elsie Fest, spreading the interest in musical theater to areas outside Manhattan. 

madein_ny Our #BwayintheBorosperformance this afternoon featured a surprise performance from @darrencriss! He took a moment to talk about why it’s great we’re bringing #broadway to communities throughout #NYC this summer.

-
-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total

3default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

A longer video of Darren at Broadway in the Boros, where he talks a little bit about Elsie Fest 2016.

Near the beginning of the video, he said that he will make more announcements about Elsie Fest 2016 in the next week or two.  He said that Elsie Fest this year will be by the water.   He teased that the line-up this year is very exciting.  :happy face

4default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Announcements of Elsie Fest tomorrow.  :big grin 

From dailydarrennews:

5default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From @DarrenArmy

Tweet from Darren about Elsie Fest announcements tomorrow on the Elvis Duran show.

Last edited by Poppy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:45 am; edited 4 times in total

6default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
I am copying and pasting Elsie Fest info in this thread, that I had  reblogged from dailydarrennews (which I previously had placed in the Darren Appreciation Thread). 

From dailydarrennews:

Elsie Fest Update

Additional info About Elsie Fest 2016 from Ricky

Just to put things into perspective, last year, Elsie Fest was not announced by Darren until August 14, 2015.  

See Darren's tweet below:

And so he tweeted this on Tuesday, August 18, 2015.

7default Elsie Fest 2016 on September 5, 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
True to his word, Darren made announcements about Elsie Fest 2016 today!   applause 

Elsie Fest will be on September 5, 2016 (Labor Day), and it starts at 1 pm.

From dailydarrennews:

darrencriss: Announcing The Great Elsie Fest Musical Extravaganza 9/5/16 | Ford Amphitheater at Coney Island Boardwalk! Featuring full sets from Megan Hilty, Tituss Burgess, Lena Hall, Rebel and a Basketcase, Corey Cott, Jason Robert Brown, Pasek and Paul, Julie James and a special guest appearance by Cynthia Erivo!!! Sign up for pre-sale at ElsieFest.com
(via dailydarrennews)

source
(via dailydarrennews)

Pre-sale begins this Thursday July 28, at 10 am ET
General Sale begins this Friday, July 29 at 10 am ET
Note:  It appears the way to receive the pre-sale code is by signing up with your email address.

via elsiefest.com
(via dailydarrennews)

Elvis Duran interview (audio)

Elvis Duran Show: Darren Criss Reveals ‘Elsie Fest’ 2016 Line-Up!

(via dailydarrennews)

Media coverage:
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:

Last year’s Elsie Fest was a passion project,” said Criss and Rollins in a statement. “The support from the public and the success of the festival reinforced what we knew, that people love coming together to watch, hear and sing with their favorite musical stars. Now, we hope to make Elsie Fest bigger and better every year.

- Hollywood Reporter

Also:
Broadway.com

BroadwayWorld

Pop-Culturalist

Note that Darren said in the Elvis Duran interview, that he is still hoping to add people to the line up.  :happy face

Elvis Duran show wrote:
We’re still hopefully adding people to the line up
- Darren Criss on Elsie Fest http://elvisduran.iheart.com/articles/what-we-talked-about-136656/interview-darren-criss-reveals-elsie-fest-14939955/
(via DarrenCrissArmy)

Poster

Just like last year, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Broadway Cares / Equity Fights Aids.  -The Hollywood Reporter

@ElsieFest
via (DarrenCrissArmy)

Some pics of the site at the Ford Amphitheater at Coney Island Boardwalk. 

Elsie Fest 2016 Ford Amphitheater at Coney Island Boardwalk

Presale Tickets on sale Thursday, 10 AM (ET)
(via DarrenCrissArmy)

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

8default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From DarrenCrissArmy:

A few more media sites:

-Billboard

-Playbill has some helpful directions on how to get to the Ford Amphitheater:  Playbill

And this seems like good news.  This year at Elsie Fest, tickets will be for specific seats. 
@ElsieFest

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total

9default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Tash

Wow, he looks so tiny! He's already working hard for that Hedwig body. The venue looks really cool. Last years was nice but this one looks better for an all day event with the shade. So does this mean Darren won't be performing this year? That kind of sucks, but it looks like he's already rehearsing for Hedwig (?) so he might not have the time.

10default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Tash!  So nice to see you here! welcome   :hello

@Tash wrote:Wow, he looks so tiny! He's already working hard for that Hedwig body. The venue looks really cool. Last years was nice but this one looks better for an all day event with the shade. So does this mean Darren won't be performing this year? That kind of sucks, but it looks like he's already rehearsing for Hedwig (?) so he might not have the time.

He is very trim.  I agree, he must be working really hard for that Hedwig body.  

It's nice that this venue looks shaded.  Darren is performing too.  He's part of the line-up too.   thumbs up 

Tash, if you have any questions, just PM me any time.  Just click on "Member List" on the Home Page (under Darren's pic) and click on "PM" to the right of my name, or if you see that I posted in a thread, just click on "PM" in my Profile.  Also you may want to visit this thread Some General Instructions of How to Use this Site.

Again, so nice to see you here!   I look forward to engaging in conversation with you!

11default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

link to Elsie Fest poster

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total

12default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Tash

K thanks Poppy! Yeah, I saw like right after posting that the poster said he was performing. The article I was reading before didn't specifically call him out as a performer so that's why I thought he wasn't.

13default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Tash!  That makes sense.   I assumed that was what happened, since the articles vary in terms of the details they offer.  

ha!  The illustration of him on the poster threw me off for a moment.   I saw his name, but the drawing adds a lot of "character."   :amused

Photo Credit: narmdaddy

14default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:58 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

ELSIE FEST 2016 DETAILS.

Pre-sale tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10:00 AM EDT

Pre-sale code: Coney

General public tickets go on sale Friday, July 29th at 10:00 AM EDT

Click here for tickets (via Ticketmaster)

Meet & Greet tickets will go on sale in a few weeks’ time. VIP tickets will be $225 and $250.

(via dailydarrennews)

15default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:42 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Playbill is also offering a Pre-sale code for Elsie Fest tickets:

Playbill wrote:

Playbill has a pre-sale code for Darren Criss’ outdoor Elsie Fest that is exclusive to our readers. Click here to pre-order tickets, and use the code: Playbill.

Playbill

Very nice article about Elsie Fest.   I can see how much more comfortable Darren is promoting this year's festival.  He really has framed Elsie Fest in such a positive light, including some of the changes for this year (different venue, and some of the composers will be performing).    Coney Island sounds like a fun experience and probably a nostalgic one for some of the audience.  And the venue with its shade does look nice, and the seating looks more set.  What a great idea to include some composers, and to include an Indie band like Evan Rachel Wood's band, Rebel and a Basketcase.    This continues one of his themes of how music crosses over (for example last year, the music ranged from musical theater to punk music, to pop music, to Disney classic tunes).  I also really like the way he articulates that he hopes that Elsie Fest will have its own unique character, how the audience will "hear songs and see songs performed that you couldn’t see anywhere else. It’s one of those Coachella moments, where you had to be there to hear that tune."

It's also cool that people can come in and go as they please (I guess they will get special stamps on their arms or bracelets?).   I don't remember if that was allowed last year.

Speaking for myself (although I am not going to be able to attend), I would love to see one or more Glee cast members pop up for one song (and also Leslie Odom Jr. and Jeremy Jordan  :happy face ).   I think having the StarKids come in, even if just for one or two songs would bring in their fanbase, but I respect that Darren wishes to change it up every year. 

Playbill wrote:

Darren Criss Talks What to Expect at His Outdoor Music Festival

Darren Criss is back at it again. He’s announced the date, lineup and venue for the second annual Elsie Fest, the outdoor music festival for Broadway fans and theatre lovers. On September 5, Criss and his lineup ( which includes everyone from Kimmy Schmidt’s Tituss Burgess to Tony-winning Color Purple star Cynthia Erivo) will head to Coney Island to sing show tunes alongside the Brooklyn beach and boardwalk.

Playbill has a pre-sale code for Darren Criss’ outdoor Elsie Fest exclusive to our readers. Click here to pre-order tickets, and use the code: Playbill.

Like last year, the festival will have a main stage, where each artist will perform his or her set, as well as a Marie’s Crisis Beer Garden, where Criss’ other performer friends (and possibly a few from the mainstage) will serenade theatre fans over bottles of beer and slices of pizza.

After the lineup was announced for the Labor Day event, Criss called in from Philadelphia, where he was performing at the Democratic National Convention, to talk about what new things to expect at this year’s festival.

First off, why the switch to Coney Island this year?

Darren Criss: We looked at a ton of different venues; we initially had it at Pier 97 last year, which is closer to midtown. It had more of a Broadway feel. That area has now changed a little bit because of residential areas that have [been] built around there now, but also, when we saw the venue at Coney Island, we just thought, “Man, we want to make it a destination and excursion for people!” It’s a newer [and] refurbished venue…but it just felt so very New York. What was important for me for the festival was for it to feel very much like a ‘New York’ thing, not only culturally with Broadway people being involved, but geographically, and one of the great things that I love when I mention Coney Island to people, the number one reaction is, “Oh man! I haven’t been there since I was like a kid! I need a reason to go back,” so you can make a day out of it. It’s Labor Day. You can go down to the beach, you can go hang down by the boardwalk, obviously… It’s a day-long thing. It’s meant to be a whole experience beyond just watching a few concerts.

So, the venue is outside?

DC: Yeah, it’s kind of a hybrid. This venue is sort of a little bit of both. September is tricky, so we do have a rain contingency, God forbid that happens. I’ll knock on wood, but it is connected right off the boardwalk, so it kind of feels outdoors. It’s certainly open-air. It’s like an open-air amphitheatre.

I had a blast last year! But, what did you learn from then, and what will you change?

DC: Well, there’s so much that we want to do. My true ideal version of this festival is probably ten years out, which is me being an overly ambitious producer. There’s a lot of logistical things that I won’t bore you with, but it’s certainly just wanting to expand on every little thing. Anything that went well, we just went, “Man, I wish it could have gone this much better.” Every year we are loving the idea that we’re getting to expand a little more. A couple things are different in the sense that…having both Jason Robert Brown and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul representing the composer side of things… People know their music, but oftentimes they don’t get to see them sing their songs, so adding that as an element to our festival was important to me because I always wanted to have that. Also, we have Evan Rachel Wood, who had a great kind of music-crossover-film [career]— she’s a singer, she’s a performer, she’s a total Broadway nerd…. She’ll be playing with her band, Rebal and a Basketcase, which to me is important because I like highlighting these people in pop culture. I want them to be all treated equally in the same place, and I really don’t know another venue where you’d be able to see, again, someone like Jason Robert Brown in the same area you’d be able to see a cool indie band like that. So, it’s important for me that the festival really highlights who the people are, not so much what it sounds like or what it looks like. It’s more the general collection of giving all these people who we love in pop culture a chance to really shine in their element.

It was very Broadway-song heavy last year. With the addition of bands and composers, will we hear pop music, too?

DC: Yeah, at the end of the day, it’s really [dependent upon] the performer. I encourage all of them to do whatever they want. I like the idea of: If we know somebody for a certain type of music to [have them] do a different kind of music. I want the pop guys to do more traditional or jazz stuff or vice versa. To me, the highlights of last year are when you see Aaron Tveit doing something from Taylor Swift. … At the end of the day it’s up to them, but I do lean on my performers to really try and do stuff that they’ve never got a chance to, which also makes it interesting for the audience because I want this to be a place where you can hear songs and see songs performed that you couldn’t see anywhere else. It’s one of those Coachella moments, where you had to be there to hear that tune.

Is StarKid going to join you again?

DC: No, they were with us last year, so we’re going to switch it up every year. I think maybe in another two years.

What’s going to be happening between sets? Last year, the Marie’s Crisis Beer Garden was on the opposite end of the mainstage, so there was a lot of running back and forth to try and catch it all!

DC: Hopefully, we’ll have it streamlined. We’re still figuring out the best places for everything. We announced the roster, but I’m going to make no claims to say that everything is perfected. We still have a lot to do before September, when we get to the venue to decide where things can be and what the best idea can be to maximize everyone’s enjoyment. The cool thing about being at this venue is, because of the way it operates along the boardwalk, not only would you have this Marie’s Crisis singalong, you also have a whole beach and a whole boardwalk at your disposal. So in between sets, if you don’t mind missing a performer or two and you want to walk around like a true festival, you have the architecture of Coney Island built into our grounds. So you can kind of come and go as you please. If you want to ride on the Cyclone in between sets, you totally can.

In terms of food and drink trucks, is it going to be even bigger and better? Last year, one of the only complaints was about waiting in line for food.

DC: It was the worst last year. The fact that that was our worst problem last year is a miracle. The fact that nobody died and nothing catastrophic happened to me was such a large victory. Something as fundamental and easily fixable as food truck saturation is like a joy to be able to mend for next year. I had never done a festival before, so obviously there’s a huge learning curve. I anticipate after this year, there will be a new set of notes with a new set of problems, and we’ll [learn from that] every year.

You have a killer lineup. Will you announce even more as we approach?

DC: Ideally, I think so. I’m hesitant with saying that for sure, but I wouldn’t rule it out. What happens is, with the help of you and with the help of our other friends in the Broadway world, if there’s enough excitement, hopefully we can get some other people. If they hear about it, and they want to be a part of it and they reach out to us, then it would be great, but if that doesn’t happen, I’ll be so thrilled to just have the guys we do now.

You’re performing as well. Can you tease anything?

DC: It is the last thing I think about, and I probably won’t figure it out until the week of. Until then, I’m running around on the phone with clipboards and emails and so much logistic stuff, that’s the last piece.

The special thing about Elsie Fest is that there are opportunities for fan interaction.

DC: Yeah, there will definitely be some meet-and-greets if people are up for that. I think some of the VIP packages have that, but I really wanted to apply the model that we use for a lot of rock bands and pop groups—a lot of standard protocol that I think a lot of Broadway performers aren’t used to. It’s a really fun experience for both sides because the audience members are usually used to just waiting [outside the] stage door, and also the performers aren’t used to getting to meet fans in this kind of capacity. Trying to apply that to this festival is really important to me, so there will definitely be opportunities to meet your favorite folks.

The composers, such as Benj and Justin, will be performing?

DC: Yes, they do their own kind of schtick, and I imagine they’ll have some people come in and out of their set. Last year, our roster revolved around each other—people did duets, and people showed up and did all kind of fun things together—so hopefully we can have the same thing happen. I would be disappointed if it didn’t happen.

Are there any other tidbits that you want to tease?

DC: I think bringing it to this venue is going to be really exciting. I think it’s going to be really fun to have it in Coney Island because once you get there, it’s just so charming and it’s so old-school New York. [With] the poster that we made, we were so hell-bent on trying to make it feel like an old-timey Coney Island poster and bring a sense of nostalgia to what we’re doing. Even though what we’re doing is somewhat new, it’s fun [for it] to feel like a day at the beach and a day of going to a concert to take you away from everything.

-Playbill

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total

16default Elvis Duran Show July 29, 2016. on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Elvis Duran Show, July 29, 2016.

From dailydarrennews:

It's always fun to see and hear Darren on the Elvis Duran Show.  They just have so much fun on that show and you can tell that they have a genuine affection for Darren, and that Darren has a genuine affection for Elvis and his staff. 

On an objective level, again, I can see how much more comfortable Darren is promoting Elsie Fest this year, which makes sense since last year Elsie Fest went so well and was a wonderful success (plus Darren now has more experience playing the role of promoter for this second year).    He really has made the effort to frame the discussion of Elsie Fest in a really positive way, a music festival outdoors, where people can enjoy these Broadway and pop performers in a whole new type of environment, a more relaxed setting, where the audience is encouraged to rock out and let loose.

I wish that Elvis had put out a complete version of the audio or the complete video, because it's at the beginning where Darren puts out some important info about Elsie Fest.  He did a good job putting forth his short little spiel on Elsie Fest at the beginning of the video (my only suggestion would be that next time he have a little notecard with the names of all the performers).

Edit:  Oops.  I see that the ever efficient dailydarrennews has put the entire interview on Youtube (18.5 minutes long).   Thank you!

You may also click here to watch on Darren's Facebook, the complete video of Darren on the Elvis Duran Show (7/29/16):    

Video:  Darren's Facebook (Elvis Duran Show July 29, 2016)

And here is a  shorter version  of the audio (15 minutes long):

The Day Darren Criss and Elvis Did a Duet

Darren Criss joined us today and did an amazing duet with Elvis. Greg T and Danielle got zombified and Intern Sorren is finally going to meet someone she met online!
dailydarrennews

Great job Darren!  Now, get some sleep.   Chronic sleep deprivation will wreak havoc on one's memory.   Darren said he has a job to be at on early Monday today (so I hope he can get more sleep).    And . . . what job is this?!   Please share!   confused applause

-

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:48 pm; edited 6 times in total

17default Elvis Duran Show July 29, 2016 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:32 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Here is a video from Elvis Duran that is the shortest version (9 minutes long), but the video is very clear, as well as the audio.

He talks about his views on music teachers, performing for others, how he loves performing arts in part because of the community and team work  surrounding performing arts, the importance of infectious performers where it is evident how much they love the craft of performing live and sharing that energy with a live audience, and his desire to be on a live TV musical, along with singing a duet with Elvis.

Elvis Duran Show

Last edited by Poppy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

18default Elvis Duran Show July 29,2016 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Darren, really, get some sleep.  :amused  His fuzzy head is endearing, as well as his happy, but tired eyes.

via Darren’s Snapchat (username: darrencriss)
dailydarrennews

Like Lin said, I like how he's having fun with his Snapchats.  I like the little decorative messages he puts on his pics on Snapchat.

Darren looking surprisingly good, considering how little sleep he has gotten.

dailydarrennews

ha!  It's cute to see that the Elvis Duran office is just as much a fan of that Broadway Style Guide photo shoot as Darren's fans are.  :amused

dailydarrennews

Some nice pics.   Darren is striking in that bottom pic.  :happy face

Elvis Duran We are LIVE with @DarrenCriss!

Elvis Duran Love hanging out with @DarrenCriss, make sure you get your tickets for @ElsieFest NOW!

(via dailydarrennews)

Elvis Duran

Just performed ‘A Whole New World’ with the perfect Princess Jasmine, @DarrenCriss.

dailydarrennews

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total

19default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
@Poppy wrote:Great job Darren!  Now, get some sleep.   Chronic sleep deprivation will wreak havoc on one's memory.   Darren said he has a job to be at on Monday morning (so I hope he can perform well on such little sleep).    And . . . what job is this?!   Please share!   confused applause

Did he say Monday morning? I thought he said he had to catch a plane right after the interview because he had to be in LA for work this afternoon, so even less time to sleep!  Sleep  But either way, I'm curious what it's about.

20default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Oh no.  You are right.   He's flying directly to L.A. because he  has to be at his job at 3:30 today

I hope he will be able to concentrate.   :fingers crossed   oh   They are gonna have to put on some heavy make-up to cover those dark bags under his eyes.  :amused

Yes, really, he is such a tease, letting it slip that he has a job to do today, but not saying anything more.  And I notice that Elvis didn't ask him what job.  I'm sure Darren told him, but made him promise to keep it a secret (from his poor, suffering, adoring, ever-patient--or sometimes patient--fans). :cry

21default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

HQ | Darren Criss visits The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show on July 29th, 2016
dailydarrennews

Nice pics.

dailydarrennews

HQ | Darren Criss poses with Elvis Duran during his visit to The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show at Z100 Studio on July 29 2016 in New York City
dailydarrennews

Web Girl Kathleen‏ I don’t often take pics with @ElvisDuranShow guests…. But I LOOOVEEEE @DarrenCriss!

dailydarrennews

dailydarrennews

Darren Criss Chats About Putting Together Elsie Fest 2016 in NYC
dailydarrennews

dailydarrennews

dailydarrennews

I'm glad that Elvis Duran will be going to Elsie Fest again this year.  I like this friendship he has with Darren.  They're so funny together and Elvis is so supportive of Darren.  :happy face

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total

22default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:52 am

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
-

Link to Ticketmaster
@ElsieFest

-

23default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Link

I'm going to quote the article.  The article nicely lays out info about this year's line up, and includes a short review of last year's Elsie Fest:

In New York wrote:

Elsie Fest to Rock Coney Island on Labor Day

Last year, fans of musical theater got to experience an outdoor music festival dedicated to songs of the stage and screen—Elsie Fest. This passion project from Emmy nominated musician and actor Darren Criss, talent manager Ricky Rollins and Broadway producer/Jujamcyn Theaters President Jordan Roth is back for Round Two—this time in Brooklyn—and looks to be bigger than before.

Elsie Fest co-founders Darren Criss (left) and Ricky Rollins on stage with festival-goers behind them at the inaugural show in 2015. (©Justin Kahnuse: FirstLook)

The Second Annual Elsie Fest has amassed quite a lineup with each performer/performers presenting a full set of songs. Slated to perform are:

Megan Hilty
– A Tony nominee for the recent “Noise’s Off” revival, Hilty also starred as Glinda in “Wicked” and in Doralee Rhodes in “9 to 5: The Musical,” as well as played Ivy Lynn on the NBC series “Smash.”

Tituss Burgess
– This star of stage and screen is a two-time Emmy nominee for his role as Titus Andromedon on “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” He has been in four Broadway musicals, including “The Little Mermaid”—he played Sebastian.

Darren Criss
– He played Blaine Anderson on the television series “Glee” and has starred on Broadway twice as J. Pierpont Finch in a revival of “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” and the title role in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.”

Rebel and a Basketcase
– This duo of actress/musician Evan Rachel Wood (“Thirteen,” “Across the Universe”) and musician Zach Villa have an electronic pop/alternative sound and cite David Bowie, The Cure and Radiohead and more among those who influence their glam style and 80s pop/rock sound.

Jason Robert Brown
– This two-time Tony winning composer, lyricist and playwright is responsible for making our hearts break with “The Last Five Years” and the musical adaptation of  “The Bridges of Madison County,” among other works.

Lena Hall
– Hall won a Tony Award for her role as Yitzak in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” and was in the original ensemble of the musical adaptation of “Tarzan,” as well as was a featured actress in the Tony Award-winning “Kinky Boots.” She is the lead singer of the band The Deafening.

Corey Cott
– Star of the upcoming Broadway musical “The Bandstand,” Cott was in the recent revival of “Gigi,” as well as starred as Jack Kelly in the acclaimed stage version of “Newsies.” 

Pasek and Paul
– This Tony-nominated duo (Benj Pasek and Justin Paul) wrote the music for “A Christmas Story, The Musical,” as well as the Off-Broadway smash “Dogfight,” among other shows. Their recent collaboration “Dear Evan Hansen” premiered in Washington D.C. in 2015, was Off-Broadway earlier this year and will transfer to Broadway this fall.

Julie James
– James is a Sirius XM Radio “On Broadway” host, as well as the Program Director for “On Broadway” and “Met Opera Radio.” Listen to her for your daily dish about all-things theater with “Broadway Buzz.”
AND

There will be a special guest performance by Cynthia Erivo—this year’s Tony Award winner for Best Actress in a Musical for her performance in “The Color Purple.” (In my honest opinion, hearing her sing in person is a life-changing experience. Just saying.) 

Leslie Odom, Jr. owning the stage during Elsie Fest 2015. (©Vladislav Grach: Live Nation)

I attended Elie Fest last year at Pier 97 with a large group of my friends and though we weren’t quite sure what to expect—seeing as it was a brand new festival—we had the best time ever. It was so special to be together, singing along (and maybe dancing a little… or a lot) to our favorite showtunes, surrounded by hundreds of people doing the same thing.

Actual Disney Princess, Lea Salonga (©Vladislav Grach: Live Nation)

During Elsie Fest 2015, we got to see Lea Salonga, Aaron Tveit, Laura Osnes, Leslie Odom Jr., Seth Rudetsky, StarKid and Darren Criss. They sang solos. There were duets. (For example, Lea Salonga—the singing voice of Princess Jasmine from the animated Disney "Aladdin" movie—sang "A Whole New World" with Darren Criss.) Criss even had Tyler Glenn from Neon Trees help him out with “Animal” and the guys from A Great Big World accompany him on “Beauty and the Beast.” It was a fantastic few hours of songs and I’m very much looking forward to seeing what this year’s festival has in store.

Elsie Fest—named after Sally Bowles’ former roommate as mentioned in the the song “Cabaret” from the musical of the same name—will take place Monday, Sept. 5 (Labor Day) at the Ford Ampitheater at the Coney Island Boardwalk. The festival begins at 1 pm and will last into the evening. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDs. Food, drinks and merchandise will be available for purchase and there will also be a beer garden sponsored by Marie's Crisis.

Aaron Tveit serenading the masses at Elsie Fest 2015 (©Jenny Anderson for Broadway Style Guide)

Tickets for Elsie Fest are on sale now at Ticketmaster—click here.

-In New York

-

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

24default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator

link
dailydarrennews

Click here for Tickets through Ticketmaster

Link to Ticketmaster:  http://www.ticketmaster.com/elsie-fest-brooklyn-new-york-09-05-2016/event/1D0050FAAF61248D?artistid=2156255&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=766

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

25default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

This sounds like a great opportunity to see Elsie Fest:

link to giveaway

dailydarrennews

-

26default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

A new interview, with Darren promoting Elsie Fest 2016 (Sunny 106.3/iHeart Radio):

Sunny 106.3/iHeart Radio wrote:
Elsie Fest 2016: Darren Criss Wants to Bring Show Tunes Beyond The Velvet Seats
August 8, 2016

Taking Broadway outside of the confinement of a prestige theater with the velvet seats, ushers and overall grandeur was an idea that Darren Criss wanted to conceptualize for quite some time. Thus, the 2015 launch of Elsie Fest, a New York City-based outdoor music festival devoted to all things stage and screen created by Criss, Ricky Rollins and Jordan Roth.

After last year’s successful soft launch at JBL Live at Pier 97, the show tunes-centric festivity is back for another round of Broadway sights and the 29-year-old "Glee" star recently stopped by iHeartRadio HQ for a one-on-one interview to talk about why it was so important for him to bring the world of theater into the open-air sectors of the Big Apple.

“I've been thinking about it for a long time. I go to festivals all the time. I see all kinds of shows. I go to a lot of theater. I go to the cabaret stuff and there is a through line of enthusiasm of the fans that I noticed and it seemed almost a shame to me that a lot of these people that love these things didn't have venues worthy of their enthusiasm,” Criss told us. “There is a decorum that one sort of follows when you go to see certain shows. People do hoot and holler at the theater, but when you're seeing a cabaret show in a velvet seat in nice suit and tie, you tend to restrain yourself a little bit.”

For their second go, Elsie Fest will take over Coney Island's Ford Amphitheater on Labor Day (September 5) at 1 p.m. ET with an all-star lineup, including folks like Megan Hilty, Tituss Burgess, Lena Hall, Criss and even “Color Purple” star Cynthia Erivo.

Criss on Elsie Fest’s Lineup

“We're celebrating the stars and songs from stages and screens, so that inevitably leans on the Broadway scale, but, you know, it's people in pop culture that have a lot of crossover [appeal],” he explained. “Megan is a TV star and a Broadway star as is a number of our other performers [that] have crossed a lot of different worlds. I just like having as much of a mixed bag as possible. I don't know when Rebel and a BasketcaseEvan Rachel Wood's band would ever perform with a Megan Hilty on the same bill. We're the iPod culture and even that's almost outdated. . . .We're the playlist generation now. It is not odd for you to have Biggie Smalls, Barbara Streisand, the cast of ‘Hamilton’ [on your playlist]. That's cool that people are used to eclectic things and so I really want to provide that for these people.”

On Elsie Fest’s Name and Location

Cabaret remains the backbone of the festival, so it’s no surprise that the San Francisco native named the affair after the fictional character from the 1966 Broadway production, “Cabaret." “It is rock 'n roll. I named a musical theater festival after a pill addicted dead hooker,” he explained, prompting a laugh amongst our production staff.

As for why he decided that the sandy Brooklyn boardwalk was the perfect place to host this year’s festivity, Criss said that it all comes down to it being “a super New York thing.” “The Broadway scene is a huge part of the background of the cultural New York City vibe,” he stressed. “It’s a huge part of why a lot of people come to this city and I wanted to make it a full experience of New York.”

That doesn’t mean that he hasn’t thought about taking the Broadway act on the road for the rest of America to see. Criss just wants to focus on one city at a time.

“That'd be fun. I think in the future we wanna do that. I think there's definitely a market for that … an appetite for a lot of people who can't make it to New York City,” he explained, before admitting that it’s important to successfully launch in the Big Apple before anywhere else. “I really want to birth this properly in New York before it has enough wings to fly away and grow and be its own beast elsewhere.”

Tickets to Elsie Fest 2016 are currently on sale via Ticketmaster. Head over to their official website for more information.

-sunny106.3./iHeart Radio

And nice black and white photos of the article:

Elsie Fest 2016: Darren Criss Wants To Bring Show Tunes Beyond The Velvet Seats
(via dailydarrennews)

source
(via dailydarrennews)

Cute little video of 5 things that many of us already know about Darren.  :amused   This is the first time I heard him say he doesn't drink coffee or take caffeine.  But duh.  He's already the Energizer Bunny.  He'll be bouncing off the walls and ceiling if he took caffeine.   excited

Darren in iHeartRadio clip in the “discover” section on Snapchat 

dailydarrennews

27default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:55 pm

Lin

Intermediate Member II
Intermediate Member II
Love those photos!
And I know he's mentioned before that he doesn't drink coffee, because I sometimes feel like the only person on the planet who doesn't like it, so that was one of those little "yess, I picked the right person to stan" moments for me. :laughing

28default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
Hi Lin!

Yes, I love those black and white photos too.  :happy face

@Lin wrote:And I know he's mentioned before that he doesn't drink coffee, because I sometimes feel like the only person on the planet who doesn't like it, so that was one of those little "yess, I picked the right person to stan" moments for me.

haha!  I don't drink coffee either.   :big grin  (Well, I will drink coffee if they put so much chocolate in it that it tastes like hot chocolate, but otherwise, no thanks.)   But I like tea.   Lin, your memory is impressive!  thumbs up

Has he said anything about what his favorite foods and drinks are?   In that video you posted (the pre-Glee one), he said he likes to drink guava juice.  I can't say I've ever tried that.

29default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Elsie Fest .@DarrenCriss chats #ElsieFest on the @iHeartRadio snapchat channel  http://bit.ly/iHeartSnapNEW

iHeart Radio via Snapchat on August 15th, 2016

I would love this!  :happy face

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

30default Re: Elsie Fest 2016 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 pm

Poppy

Administrator
Administrator
From dailydarrennews:

Yes!  Duet or trio! 

Youtube version of a video:

From DarrenCrissArmy
An article about Elsie Fest 2016:
The Big Story AP wrote:
Broadway's best to light up coney Island at Elsie Fest
This fall, the famous Coney Island boardwalk will host some special hot dogs with a Broadway flavor.

The second annual Elsie Fest, a one-day outdoor music festival celebrating theater stars, is set for Sept. 5 at the 5,000-seat Ford Amphitheater, offering a new location and a new slate of singers.

This year's performers include Megan Hilty, Tituss Burgess, Darren Criss, Evan Rachel Wood, composer Jason Robert Brown, Tony-winner Lena Hall, Corey Cott, Tony-winner Cynthia Erivo, radio host Julie James and the composing team of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.

"There is truly nothing else like this festival," said Criss, the "Glee" star who helped create the festival. "There was this yearning for something like this that just kind of made it easy. The meat just kind of fell off the bone."

Burgess, a Broadway star currently on "The UnBreakable Kimmy Schmidt," will be in Coney Island for the first time, but last week still wasn't sure what he'll be singing. "I'm going to see what is nearest and closest to my energy and that's probably what I'll be able to execute best."

The concert is the brainchild of Criss, talent manager Ricky Rollins, and Broadway producer and Jujamcyn Theaters President Jordan Roth. Last year's festival drew some 4,000 people to a midtown pier. Tickets start at $60.

The name comes from lyrics in the musical "Cabaret" about a doomed girl named Elsie who would turn to the heroine Sally Bowles and ask: "What good is sitting alone in your room?/ Come hear the music play/ Life is a cabaret, old chum."

Criss hopes to grow Elsie Fest over the next few years, turning it into a two-day event with art, food and cultural offerings. It may move around the city from year to year as it grows.

"It's about an experience to me. Like any festival. It's not just the concert," said Criss. "We're really working on building that out as much as possible to make it a full-on experience and not just a series of concerts."

Criss, who has been on Broadway in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," said he's been tapping his talented friends to join the movement.

Last year, he managed to get Leslie Odom Jr. to rush from a performance of "Hamilton" to appear on the Elsie stage, and this year lured Burgess to Coney Island when both were starring in a concert version of "The Little Mermaid" at the Hollywood Bowl.

"Asking talented friends to do anything is a really humbling experience," said Criss. "No matter how nice people are about it, I just always feel so slimy about it. Having last year under my belt made me more confident."

A year ago, Criss was running around so much at the event trying to make sure everything was going smoothly that he barely had time to focus on what he'd be singing. This year, he's going to focus on his favorite stage songs.

"I'm a fan of a lot of stuff that I'll never be cast in, so I'm definitely going to embrace some of those songs in my set," he said. "That's my shot, an opportunity to perform songs I'd never get the opportunity to do otherwise."
___
Online:
http://www.elsiefest.com

-The Big Story:AP
August 15, 2016

I'm glad that Darren is feeling more confident about asking friends to perform at Elsie Fest.  Last year sounded like a very positive experience for fans who attended. 

I'm curious what songs Darren will be performing (and what songs Tituss will be performing).

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum