Darren Criss Fan Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darren Criss Fan Community

This is a fan forum to discuss Darren Criss\'s career and his public activities, including his theater, film, and TV projects, his music and musical performances, charitable work, interaction with fans, and interviews.

You are not connected. Please login or register

General News You Want to Talk About

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

21General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:26 am

I'm in complete shock and on the verge of tears myself, I can't even imagine how everyone in America must be feeling.

22General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:44 am

Bloody hell, that was certainly a surprise. To quote the great Dylan 'the times they are a' changing'. 

Personally I felt both candidates were bad and I feel sorry for the people of the US that they had to choose between two bad eggs. The whole thing has been a farce. What lies ahead now is anyone's guess...

23General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:26 am

dusty001 wrote:Bloody hell, that was certainly a surprise. To quote the great Nobel laureate Dylan 'the times they are a' changing'. 

Personally I felt both candidates were bad and I feel sorry for the people of the US that they had to choose between two bad eggs. The whole thing has been a farce. What lies ahead now is anyone's guess...

Fixed it for you. :happy face

Trying to look for a silver lining: maybe the US will reject TTP and TTIP/TISA? Unfortunately, whatever trade deals replace them will still take away non-minimum wage jobs from the American economy.

The past few presidents had expanded executive powers to overcome congressional gridlock. This will bite us in the rear since The Donald is the type of person to take a mile when given a inch.

I had been seeing the two main choices as big decline versus slow decline, and I feel that picking the fast decline (IMO) won't lead to the rebuilding of American unity or economic strength.

24General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:56 am

^ ah, yes, I stand corrected..Nobel laureate indeed. :happy face  Well deserved to.

Lets hope this will mean scrapping ttip. Something which I find extremely dangerous. What possibly sane person could think ttip is a good thing? To have big companies with that kind of power is not good. Sounds like a plan to make them richer and populations poorer. A worse situation than is already the status quo.

25General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:03 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I've thought about you this morning. I'm truly sorry.

26General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:13 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I am trying not to freak out too much.   But this has really shattered me. 

I am of Japanese ancestry, my mother was born in the U.S.  As a child, I lived in an area with practically no Asian-Americans.  In my elementqry school, there were two families who were Asian, including mine.  I would walk to and from school, being called "foreigner," "chink," Jap," you name it, with cat-calls and all that fun stuff.  These were not just other elementary school kids doing this, but also teenagers and the occasional adult. 

My parents were interned during WWII in relocation camps, because  of the national fear that anyone with a Japanese face/name was conspiring against the U.S. as spies.   It was institutional racism, because there was no evidence  to warrant locking up an entire racial group --120,000 people, including children--simply because of their Japanese ancestry.    Many of those interned were U.S. citizens.   My mother was just a little girl. 

I have seen Republican Presidents win elections during my lifetime, but never have I felt so crushed as Donald Trump winning the Presidency.   I have never cried my eyes out.  I have never wondered how bad will it be now for those who will be judged for not being "American," for not belonging to this country.  What kind of life will anyone who is Muslim living in this country have?   Will hatred, violence, and persecution against this group of people be permitted, just as Trump encouraged his supporters to beat up protesters at his rallies, that he would foot their legal bill?  What about those in the LGBTQ community, what kind of judgement will be advocated against their community?  What Supreme Court justice with his/her backward biases will be appointed to the highest court by a President who espouses hatred and intolerance?   What about women and their rights?   According to Trump, should the right to have an abortion be taken away by law, then women who have abortions should face punishment?   (Yes, he "clarified" his position later, but he had said this!)    Will the President of our country be an example of how it's permissible to treat women as sexual objects, that exist purely for powerful men's gratification? 

And this is not even touching upon how concerned I am now for the environment, since Trump feels global warming is a "Chinese hoax."   Or of our economy, or our health care.  In terms of foreign matters, who will Trump ally himself with?  A ruthless despot like Putin?   For a man who is prone to temper tantrums, what kind of trouble will he get our country in? 

To make matters worse, we have a Republican-controlled Senate, and House.  And Trump will be appointing the next U.S. Supreme Court justice.

This honestly feels like a nightmare.  Ok, I could go on and on.  But I have tired myself out.

What does it feel like to have someone who was endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan, the very symbol of racism, hatred, and intolerance, as our country's President?

27General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:14 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

In my country, the main political parties are not pleased by Trump's victory and employers' associations are afraid of the consequences of his protectionist policies on our national economy. Some people also fear an impact on the future elections in France, Germany and the Netherlands (the far right parties are big there, now). This decennium definitely gets creepy.

But there are still a lot of good things in life, let's focus on that : it's gonna be ok

28General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Time will tell what impact the U.S. election has on the rest of the world.  I hope that a negative impact is limited.

Thank you, Jeremy.   I know that there are a lot of good things to feel fortunate about.

29General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 am

I'm so sorry to read that Poppy. Sending you a big hug.

On the outset it doesn't look great, but considering he might not get through any policies etc, not much might actually happened. I mean he might get stuff blocked in congress.

30General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

dusty, thanks for your sympathy.  I appreciate it.

I don't know if the Democrats will be able to block much, given the Republicans have the majority in both houses.  Time will tell.

31General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:11 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I just want to say that it's been a hard few weeks for me, since the election.  I apologize to people who have been trying to cheer me up (you sweetie pies know who you are) when I have been in a funk. I also apologize if I may have been more snappish.

It's as if I feel this aftershocks going through my soul, where waves of emotion would  hit me, and then diminish, and then hit me again.

It's times like this, that we need to hold onto those people and things that represent the best in people.  Darren's kindness and the inspirational show that is Hedwig and the Angry Inch has provided me some comfort and joy.  I see inspirational messages on twitter, tumblr, news articles, of people who are determined to be supportive and loving of others, to be allies of those people and causes who/that may face some hard times in the near future.  I definitely am going to be showing more support of organizations like ACLU, Human Rights Campaign, environmental groups.

32General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:53 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I can understand how you feel and, as I've said, I'm truly sorry. 

In four years, there will be a new election. Maybe it will be the start of a brand new area. And, until then, let's focus on the bright side of life :hug

33General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you Jeremy for your support.  :hug

Off-topic, but did you see that Lilikoiluv posted the pic and message of Jonathan Gabay when he saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch in Los Angeles?

34General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

I think I've missed that. Where did (s)he post the pic and message ?

35General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Lilikoiluv posted Jonathan Gabay's pic and his message in this thread:  Pics, gifs, media videos, curtain call videos, stage door videos, etc.

Her post was Post # 112.

36General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 am

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

Thank you for the link but I'm not sure to understand what you say to me by pointing out that tweet in particular :happy face

37General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:04 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

I just saw that you posted in this thread (about the election), so I thought I thought I would mention it.

38General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

My heart goes out to the victims and the survivors of Aleppo.   How can this be happening?  Can't we do something?!

And the stuff about Russia's hacking and how the FBI seemed to minimize it--it is outrageous.

39General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:44 pm

*Jeremy*

*Jeremy*
Advanced II
Advanced II

What happens in Syria is indeed heartbreaking.

And Russia is also a source of concern. I've read that the government in Sweden tells the Swedish mayors to get prepared in case of war against Russia...

40General News You Want to Talk About - Page 2 Empty Re: General News You Want to Talk About Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:16 am

Poppy

Poppy
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Jeremy,

Putin is a great source of concern, as is Trump.  It is so disheartening to hear Sweden telling its mayors to prepare in case of war against Russia.  Anything goes, it seems, in this new reality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum